PDA

View Full Version : FCS Championship Games Through The Years: 1978-2010

Mr. C
December 31st, 2011, 12:47 AM
Here is a new piece at College Sports Journal, giving you the history of the NCAA Division I Football Championships, year by year.

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/86-college-sports-journal/csj-classic-archives/150-fcs-championship-games-through-the-years-1978-2010

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 31st, 2011, 01:01 AM
It's a shame the PL didn't participate in the playoffs in the late 80's, early 90's. Holy Cross would have made the title game at least once imo. I'd go so far to say that GSU wouldn't have 7 national titles. Lehigh ('91) and Lafayette ('88) also fielded teams that could have made it. This was at a time when the better PL schools often beat up on their then Yankee counterparts.

Mr. C
December 31st, 2011, 01:10 AM
It's a shame the PL didn't participate in the playoffs in the late 80's, early 90's. Holy Cross would have made the title game at least once imo. I'd go so far to say that GSU wouldn't have 7 national titles. Lehigh ('91) and Lafayette ('88) also fielded teams that could have made it. This was at a time when the better PL schools often beat up on their then Yankee counterparts.

Those Georgia Southern teams with Tracy Ham and Raymond Gross at QB were pretty strong. Just watched an Erk Russell documentary with LOTS of highlights of those years a couple of weeks ago. I would have liked to have seen what those great Holy Cross teams with Gordy Lockbaum would have done in the playoffs.

BTW, Georgia Southern has six flags over Georgia, not seven as of yet.

blueballs
December 31st, 2011, 08:15 AM
That was a nice stroll down memory lane... thanks, Mr. C!!!

Bearkats94
December 31st, 2011, 04:22 PM
They left off 2011 were the kats beat the bisons.xlolxxnodx:Dxbowx

blueballs
January 1st, 2012, 08:13 AM
Those Georgia Southern teams with Tracy Ham and Raymond Gross at QB were pretty strong. Just watched an Erk Russell documentary with LOTS of highlights of those years a couple of weeks ago. I would have liked to have seen what those great Holy Cross teams with Gordy Lockbaum would have done in the playoffs.

BTW, Georgia Southern has six flags over Georgia, not seven as of yet.

The 1986 GSC group was one of the best offenses I've ever seen. They had a championship pedigree from the year before, were experienced, and weren't going to be denied, scoring 52, 55, 48, and 48 in their playoff run to that second title. "You can't tackle smoke," was the now infamous quote by Ark St coach Larry Lacewell after the title game in which Tracy Ham threw for 306 and ran for 180.

Cleets
January 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM
That article should be mandatory reading - prior to posting at AGS...
Nicely done Mr. C

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks, Cleets. Hopefully a lot of people will take a stroll by College Sports Journal (www.college-sports-journal.com) this week to read this and a lot of other articles. We will be posting a lot of historical stuff, with full game stories on every championship contest from 2001 through 2010, among other things.

RichH2
January 1st, 2012, 03:36 PM
Nice article, You and Chuck have quickly become a must read every week. Thanks

ursus arctos horribilis
January 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
Man, that's a great read. Thanks for the stroll Mr. C.

Cleets
January 1st, 2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks, Cleets. Hopefully a lot of people will take a stroll by College Sports Journal (www.college-sports-journal.com) this week to read this and a lot of other articles. We will be posting a lot of historical stuff, with full game stories on every championship contest from 2001 through 2010, among other things.

You guys have absolutely nailed it at http://www.college-sports-journal.com/
What a powerful example of a "Sports Content Site" and the bonus is: It's a Top Quality Content site about our favorite product = FCS
I hope you guys have a great 2012 - I know I look forward to checking in on your site regularly

xnodx Triple Extra Bonus http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/conf-scheds-2012 the 2012 conference schedule page..!!!

caribbeanhen
January 1st, 2012, 07:20 PM
The 1986 GSC group was one of the best offenses I've ever seen. They had a championship pedigree from the year before, were experienced, and weren't going to be denied, scoring 52, 55, 48, and 48 in their playoff run to that second title. "You can't tackle smoke," was the now infamous quote by Ark St coach Larry Lacewell after the title game in which Tracy Ham threw for 306 and ran for 180.

the Ark St team had destroyed a Rich Gannon lead Delaware team the week before

Mr. C
January 1st, 2012, 08:20 PM
I recently saw some video of that Arkansas State team. The Indians (before the PC nickname change) had a high-powered offense. That was a very good era of FCS play, with some really good teams. The 1986 Georgia Southern squad has to rank as one of the best ever.

EKU Toss Sweep
January 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
That '86 Arkansas St. team also beat a very good EKU team 24 - 10 in the semis. The Colonels had already won 2 on the road at Furman and at Eastern Illinois (with Sean Payton) and were handled that day by the Indians. GSU was dominating in those days against very good FCS / 1AA competition.

EKUSteve
January 5th, 2012, 10:43 AM
When EKU beat Boise at their place in 1981, the turf was green. Didn't go to blue until the last decade or so.

TheRevSFA
January 5th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I guess should SFA even be mentioned in that article? We did have to vacate it.

I never could figure out the real story..was it ineligible players? Or was it the coach giving players jobs. I've heard both.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 5th, 2012, 11:32 AM
When EKU beat Boise at their place in 1981, the turf was green. Didn't go to blue until the last decade or so.

Not true as far as the last 10 yrs. or so. It was blue in the early 90's and possibly the mid 80's when they were in the BSC.

Mr. C
January 5th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I guess should SFA even be mentioned in that article? We did have to vacate it.

I never could figure out the real story..was it ineligible players? Or was it the coach giving players jobs. I've heard both.
Ineligible players. I personally don't believe in the concept of vacating anything. That is one of the dumbest penalties that the hypocrites from the NCAA have ever come up with. They will vacate someone like Michigan in basketball and then continue to sell the rights to show the championship game the Fab Five was in. The games are played on the field. The Georgia Southern-SFA game happened on the field and people should be able to read what happened on the field, not have to listen to the NCAA make distinctions. If they are going to vacate championship-game appearances, there wouldn't be champions for about half of the 1990s, between what Youngstown State and Marshall were doing, cheating-wise.

Mr. C
January 5th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Not true as far as the last 10 yrs. or so. It was blue in the early 90's and possibly the mid 80's when they were in the BSC.

Boise State had blue turf when Appalachian State played out there in 1994 in the quarterfinals of the playoffs. One source I read said the smurf turf was laid down in 1986.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Boise State had blue turf when Appalachian State played out there in 1994 in the quarterfinals of the playoffs. One source I read said the smurf turf was laid down in 1986.

86 is when I came to UM and followed the Griz in every game and I don't remember Boise not having the turf when we were on the road there.