PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ?

Brad82
December 27th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hey-can someone send me link or copy of 1985 final 1-AA poll?

The Eagle's Cliff
December 27th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Not the final poll, but the final disposition of playoffs (12 teams)

Ga. Southern...................................... ......Erk Russell 4-0 Champion
Furman............................................ ........ Dick Sheridan 2-1 Second lost to Ga Southern
Nevada............................................ ........ Chris Ault 1-1 Semifinalist lost to Furman
UNI............................................... ........... Darrell Mudra 1-1 Semifinalist lost to Ga Southern
Arkansas St. ............................................ Larry Lacewell 1-1 Quarterfinalist lost to Nevada
Eastern Wash. .................................... .....Dick Zornes 1-1 Quarterfinalist lost to UNI
Middle Tenn. ........................................... James Donnelly 0-1 Quarterfinalist lost to Ga Southern
Rhode Island............................................ Bob Griffin 1-1 Quarterfinalist lost to Furman
Akron............................................. ........ Jim Dennison 0-1 Lost 1st Round to Rhode Island
Grambling......................................... .. .....Eddie Robinson 0-1 Lost 1st Round to Ark St.
Idaho............................................. ........ Dennis Erickson 0-1 Lost 1st Round to E. Wash
Jackson St. .......................................... ..W.C. Gorden 0-1 Lost 1st Round to Ga Southern

Link to Championship History http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_champs_records/2008/d1/DI2009-ChampResults.pdf

Go...gate
December 27th, 2011, 11:01 PM
The last year before the Patriot League's formation.

Colgate finished 7-3-1 against a very tough schedule (lost 45-43 to I-A Army, [which won the Peach Bowl over Illinois], 28-14 to I-A Rutgers, lost to 4-6-1 Holy Cross, and tied Ivy League Champion Penn, 27-27) yet received no playoff bid in the last year it would be permitted in the playoffs until 1997.

achrist70
December 27th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I had no idea that Chris Ault had been at Nevada as long as he has.

Brad82
December 28th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Go-gate-good point. In 1985,Delaware went 7-4-beat Temple,Navy and Rhody. Lost to Maine,Lehigh etc..
In 1984,UNH went 9-2 and HC went 8-3 (both did not make it).
In Delaware and HC's case,playing Indy schedule did not help.
The football world was a lot smaller back then.

Hens Fan
December 29th, 2011, 07:09 AM
(NCAA)
1. Middle Tenn.
2. Furman
Nevada
4. UNI
5. Idaho
6. Arkansas St.
7. Rhode Island
8. Grambling
9. Ga. Southern
10. Akron
11. Eastern Wash.
12. Appalachian St.
Delaware St.
14. Louisiana Tech
15. Jackson St.
16. William & Mary
17. Murray St.
18. Richmond
19. Eastern Ky.
20. Alcorn St.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2011/FCS.pdf

OL FU
December 29th, 2011, 10:44 AM
(NCAA)
1. Middle Tenn.
2. Furman
Nevada
4. UNI
5. Idaho
6. Arkansas St.
7. Rhode Island
8. Grambling
9. Ga. Southern
10. Akron
11. Eastern Wash.
12. Appalachian St.
Delaware St.
14. Louisiana Tech
15. Jackson St.
16. William & Mary
17. Murray St.
18. Richmond
19. Eastern Ky.
20. Alcorn St.

I hope that's not the final pollxconfusedx

OL FU
December 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Got it, that was the final regular season poll which makes more sense.

The Eagle's Cliff
December 29th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Interesting that in the first 23 years, #1 won the NC just 5 times, while #1 has won it 10 years in a row from 2001-2010.

Twentysix
December 30th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Interesting that in the first 23 years, #1 won the NC just 5 times, while #1 has won it 10 years in a row from 2001-2010.

That streak ends january 7.

Tod
December 30th, 2011, 03:12 AM
That streak ends january 7.

Perhaps, but it certainly says something about the selection committee, doesn't it?

Twentysix
December 30th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Perhaps, but it certainly says something about the selection committee, doesn't it?

You mean poll voters. The selection committee is random. EWU was a 5 seed. I cant find a seeding history but I don't think the 1 seed wins that often.

MTfan4life
December 30th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Ummm, I'm pretty sure that's because they started voting after the championship sometime in there. There is NO WAY James Madison was #1 in 2004 before the playoffs. (they had to play 3 straight road games) A quick look at the final poll leaders section in that document shows that they started voting after the NC in 2002. That's why the winners have been #1 since that time. There is no streak.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 30th, 2011, 07:07 AM
There is no streak.

Indeed

http://nicosteyn.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/spoon.jpeg

The Eagle's Cliff
December 30th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Ummm, I'm pretty sure that's because they started voting after the championship sometime in there. There is NO WAY James Madison was #1 in 2004 before the playoffs. (they had to play 3 straight road games) A quick look at the final poll leaders section in that document shows that they started voting after the NC in 2002. That's why the winners have been #1 since that time. There is no streak.

Nice catch. The document included the "before playoffs" poll until 2001.

Mr. C
December 30th, 2011, 12:11 PM
There were final polls taken in ALL years by the Sports Network from its start with FCS/I-AA 25 years ago, but the NCAA has always been quirky about postseason stats. They didn't start RECOGNIZING the postseason polls until 2001. They have also used various polls as their OFFICIAL polls over the years, including their own in the early days. I have the final polls around somewhere for each year (week-by-week) that TSN has done one, but it isn't in a digital form at this point. TSN, in its rather incomplete archives, only lists the final polls from 1996 forward.

blueballs
December 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
There were final polls taken in ALL years by the Sports Network from its start with FCS/I-AA 25 years ago, but the NCAA has always been quirky about postseason stats. They didn't start RECOGNIZING the postseason polls until 2001. They have also used various polls as their OFFICIAL polls over the years, including their own in the early days. I have the final polls around somewhere for each year (week-by-week) that TSN has done one, but it isn't in a digital form at this point. TSN, in its rather incomplete archives, only lists the final polls from 1996 forward.

The stats situation is a complete crock... either count 'em all or count none of 'em. If the stats were kept in an official manner then they should count; after all, the results of the games count.

If the NCAA would pull their collective heads out of their asses and count Adrian Peterson's playoff stats we would be looking at least two records that would likely never be broken: career rushing yards (9145) and career touchdowns (111).

Mr. C
December 30th, 2011, 05:01 PM
The stats situation is a complete crock... either count 'em all or count none of 'em. If the stats were kept in an official manner then they should count; after all, the results of the games count.

If the NCAA would pull their collective heads out of their asses and count Adrian Peterson's playoff stats we would be looking at least two records that would likely never be broken: career rushing yards (9145) and career touchdowns (111).

Agreed wholeheartedly. I had a long conversation a few years ago at the CoSida convention with the guy who heads up stats for the NCAA and they were unwilling to change them retroactively because they would have to go back and change statistical champions, etc. I brought up Peterson's records to him. They can't even recognize Dexter Coakley's FCS career tackles mark because tackles were not "an official stat" when Coakley played (folks, you can go back and watch the films, if you need to confirm historical FACT).

Go...gate
December 30th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Other than the Yankee Conference, SoCon and Big Sky, were there other automatic qualifiers in 1985?

Bottom line is that you had to have a hell of a club to make the playoffs.

Mr. C
December 31st, 2011, 11:08 AM
The auto qualifiers for 1985 were as follows:

1985 (12 teams): AQs: Big Sky, OVC, Southern, Southland, SWAC, Yankee, 2 Independents; 4 at-large
 (source NCAA).

grayghost06
December 31st, 2011, 11:45 AM
Go-gate-good point. In 1985,Delaware went 7-4-beat Temple,Navy and Rhody. Lost to Maine,Lehigh etc..
In 1984,UNH went 9-2 and HC went 8-3 (both did not make it).
In Delaware and HC's case,playing Indy schedule did not help.
The football world was a lot smaller back then.

The 1984 Holy Cross team was supposedly told around the week of the BC game ( or the week before) that they would NOT be participating in any playoffs that year. The head of the school, Fr. Brooks, said that the playoffs would conflict with exams. This was before HC had joined the Colonial League and thus were still eligible for the playoffs. Those 'Cross teams from 1984 & 1986-87 could have given any I-AA title winner a hell of a game. It was a shame they were not allowed to play.

Brad82
December 31st, 2011, 03:44 PM
HC had already lost to UNH and BU prior to supposed exams notice.
If UNH could not get in @ 9-2,no way does HC get in @ 8-3.
Particularly when loss to UNH was end of season.

Tod
January 1st, 2012, 03:31 AM
You mean poll voters. The selection committee is random. EWU was a 5 seed. I cant find a seeding history but I don't think the 1 seed wins that often.

I stand corrected. Didn't get exactly what was being said at the time, or wasn't thinking. Whatever, I get 'ya.

OL FU
January 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM
The 1984 Holy Cross team was supposedly told around the week of the BC game ( or the week before) that they would NOT be participating in any playoffs that year. The head of the school, Fr. Brooks, said that the playoffs would conflict with exams. This was before HC had joined the Colonial League and thus were still eligible for the playoffs. Those 'Cross teams from 1984 & 1986-87 could have given any I-AA title winner a hell of a game. It was a shame they were not allowed to play.

Not that I am a big fan of computer rankings, but since we have no real method of comparison it would be interesting to see what they show. I am pretty certain Sagarin was ranking in 1985, but I can't seem to find any of the old rankings.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 1st, 2012, 06:40 PM
1985 was my introduction to I-AA, even though my first GSC game was 1984. I know the Eagles weren't expected to do much and when people started mentioning National Championship, I was confused. Being in high school, I still didn't really get to know about I-AA until '89. Football was a lot different back then. Weight training was fairly new and the players were somewhat "normal" size. As I was watching Ga Tech and Utah yesterday, I was reminded of this thread and thought nostalgically about the fact the Paul Johnson first installed his version of the Triple Option in that 1985 season at Georgia Southern College, moving from Defensive Line Coach to Offensive Coordinator - 26 years ago.

TheBisonator
January 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM
I notice on that 1985 poll that probably a third of the teams on there are FBS now.

If you look at a 1985 DII poll, you'll see that over half the teams listed are FCS now.

URMite
January 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
I know who was #1 for 5 of 7 weeks with an opening day win in Blacksburg. 3 pt Loss at Rutgers knocked us out of #1 after starting 7-0. Then lost @ BU in the mud, beat Brown, and lost @ W&M to finish 8-3. Always wondered if 9-2 would have gotten us in.

Brad82
January 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Weight-lifting was huge back then (I played in 84 & 85) on # 2 and # 7 final ranked teams.
Richmond played indy schedule then? Tough to make it to play-offs as such . Beat them in '84 play-offs (the were really good).
W & M had good team in 85,but no play-offs. Again,an Indy.
Anyways,Furman was absolute buzz-sawin ' 85,no one was going to beat them in the east.

eaglemachine
January 4th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Weight-lifting was huge back then (I played in 84 & 85) on # 2 and # 7 final ranked teams.
Richmond played indy schedule then? Tough to make it to play-offs as such . Beat them in '84 play-offs (the were really good).
Anyways,Furman was absolute buzz-sawin ' 85,no one was going to beat them in the east.

Georgia Southern was an independent team back in 85 as well. In fact we won 4 of our NC's as an independent.

89Hen
January 4th, 2012, 08:33 AM
(NCAA)
1. Middle Tenn.
2. Furman
Nevada
4. UNI
5. Idaho
6. Arkansas St.
7. Rhode Island
8. Grambling
9. Ga. Southern
10. Akron
11. Eastern Wash.
12. Appalachian St.
Delaware St.
14. Louisiana Tech
15. Jackson St.
16. William & Mary
17. Murray St.
18. Richmond
19. Eastern Ky.
20. Alcorn St.

I would have put the '85 Delaware team up against half that ranking and given points. That was a strange year for the Hens.

Brad82
January 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Eaglemachine-yes,not impossible as indy,but tougher. I will bet GSU had better record than 8-3 regular season?
89Hen-yes-played Delaware down there and lost. They also beat Navy and Temple that year,but laid an egg against teams like Maine,Lehigh (both we beat).
There were and still are a lot of good teams out there (can't afford an off day).

blueballs
January 4th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Eaglemachine-yes,not impossible as indy,but tougher. I will bet GSU had better record than 8-3 regular season?

Good call... GSC went 8-3 in their first year in 1-AA in 1984 and sat home come playoff time. They won the title the next two season after going 9-2 during the regular season as an independent.

89Hen
January 4th, 2012, 05:34 PM
They also beat Navy and Temple that year,but laid an egg against teams like Maine,Lehigh (both we beat).
There were and still are a lot of good teams out there (can't afford an off day).

Keep in mind that the Maine game was played in 40 degrees, with 40 mph wind and raining sideways. It was like a spring day to the Black Bears. ;)

Brad82
January 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM
where was Lehigh game @ ?

Mr. C
January 4th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Georgia Southern was an independent team back in 85 as well. In fact we won 4 of our NC's as an independent.

A lot of people don't realize, or remember, that Georgia Southern's first football season in the Southern Conference was 1993.

Mr. C
January 4th, 2012, 11:45 PM

The Georgia Southern-Furman championship game in 1985 is the all-time classic for me for a title game.

89Hen
January 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM
where was Lehigh game @ ?

Didn't matter, the Hens had a bad habit of beating Temple and losing to Lehigh each year during that period. However, I'm pretty sure that was at home and was the game from the picture I posted here when some Lehigh fans limed the field with LEHIGH #1 facing the home stands. One of the LU posters here borrowed it for his avatar.

No doubt the Hens should have never lost to Lehigh or Maine that year, but they could have beaten any team in I-AA and there were some teams in that ranking that were there only on record and not who they actually beat.

Sader87
January 5th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Sept 28, 1985:

Holy Cross 22
Delaware 6

Remember it well...Hurricane Gloria weekend

Brad82
January 5th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Mr. C-yes,great final,Furman had big lead and GSU came roaring back. Furman looked unbeatable to that point. Both programs became established as 1-AA powers for at least 10 years?*

89Hen-Lehigh and Maine had some talent,like saying in '85 Rhody should have beaten Brown,Richmond over BU,etc.. Lots of good players out there,even on the bad teams. Most college or pro teams lay an egg once or twice a year. That is why expansion of play-offs is good idea,many teams deserving. Particularly with a tough schedule (Delaware in '85).

Sader87-ah,Hurricane Gloria-Brown upset Rhody,one of biggest upsets in Ivy league history.

89Hen
January 5th, 2012, 12:55 PM
89Hen-Lehigh and Maine had some talent

No. Losing to Maine was a abomination that year. They were a 5-5 team that I think had NEVER beaten the Hens before.