PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Div I Playoffs Will Set Attendance Record

TexasTerror
December 23rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
FYI...

The NCAA Division I Football Championship is on pace to set a record for fan attendance.

With all 20,086 seat tickets for the FCS Championship Game between No. 1 seed Sam Houston State and No. 2 seed North Dakota State sold or allocated to the participating institutions, the tournament will exceed 250,000 attendees. The previous attendance record was 209,761, set in 1994.

The sellout of the championship game also will make it the largest attended game in the past four years. “Along with the record attendance throughout the national semifinals, we’ve seen incredible competition that is the trademark of FCS football,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-12-22/fcs-championship-record-pace

henfan
December 23rd, 2011, 09:04 AM
No surprises here. More games = higher total attendance. As the NCAA continues to expand the playoff field, the total attendance will only grow higher.

It would be interesting to see this year's average attendance compared with year's past.

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
And you could've added another 20K to that or so had JMU's AD not lowballed his opening round bid.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 23rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
on behalf of NDSU, you're welcome..... :)

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
That would have been higher if you have the game in a stadium that could hold say 60,000 or so. I think we could have filled the stadium if it was held in Minneapolis.

jmufan999
December 23rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
And you could've added another 20K to that or so had JMU's AD not lowballed his opening round bid.

It's kind of tough to bid against an entire conference. The OVC kicked in money to help EKU get the bid. the CAA did not do the same for JMU (nor would I expect them to).

Hammerhead
December 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Previous record in 1994 -- 209,671/15 games = 13,978 average attendance
2012 ------------------- 250,000/19 games = 13,158 average attendance.

I haven't been able to find total attendance numbers for other years.

No surprises here. More games = higher total attendance. As the NCAA continues to expand the playoff field, the total attendance will only grow higher.

It would be interesting to see this year's average attendance compared with year's past.

Strommer10
December 23rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Second this ;) :D

Sambow
December 23rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Championship will be Awesome!

SammyHouston
December 23rd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Even with a sold our Pizza Hut Park, that won't be the largest crowd at a championship game. If I recall correctly, there have been NC games in the 30,000's.

Grizzlies82
December 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM

NoDak, actually thank MONTANA.

Our two homes games sold more tickets than the three home games in Fargo. Not dissin your dome, just setting the facts straight. Not to mention, it was Cold and Loud.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 23rd, 2011, 04:29 PM

Our two homes games sold more tickets than the three home games in Fargo. Not dissin your dome, just setting the facts straight. Not to mention, it was Cold and Loud.

Well going off of Montana's last few times in the NC, they couldn't sell a lot of tickets so I would contend that the much better traveling NDSU fan base helped this NC game sell out.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 23rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
Even with a sold our Pizza Hut Park, that won't be the largest crowd at a championship game. If I recall correctly, there have been NC games in the 30,000's.

When Marshal played on their home field there were very good #s.

frozennorth
December 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
both ndsu and Montana can take alot of credit. UNI, EKU, not so much.

mainejeff
December 23rd, 2011, 06:16 PM

Exactly.......2 home games for Montana and 3 for NDSU = attendance records will be broken.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 23rd, 2011, 06:25 PM

I actually thought more about this and it's factually incorrect. The attendance for the two Montana games was 45054 and the 3 NDSU games was 53651, which is more.

Grizcountry420
December 23rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
I actually thought more about this and it's factually incorrect. The attendance for the two Montana games was 45054 and the 3 NDSU games was 53651, which is more.

Im glad it took you 2 hours to think about itxthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 23rd, 2011, 07:05 PM
Im glad it took you 2 hours to think about itxthumbsupx

It was mainejeff's bump really.

Grizzlies82
December 23rd, 2011, 07:22 PM

Alright your three games (53,000) had more attendance than our two (45,000).

Though our fans are still far better looking than yours!
:)

SeattleGriz
December 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Well going off of Montana's last few times in the NC, they couldn't sell a lot of tickets so I would contend that the much better traveling NDSU fan base helped this NC game sell out.

Comparing anything before last years NC championship is apples to oranges. Huge difference having three weeks instead of six days to get to a NC. What do you think the attendance to the big bowl games would be if the fans only had six days to arrange travel and hotel - they would be lucky to get 70% max attendance.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Comparing anything before last years NC championship is apples to oranges. Huge difference having three weeks instead of six days to get to a NC. What do you think the attendance to the big bowl games would be if the fans only had six days to arrange travel and hotel - they would be lucky to get 70% max attendance.

I would hazard a guess and say 70% of us are driving. Almost all of the comments on Bisonville are travelers who are driving. Tickets were sold out by Sunday afternoon. I think this would have happened no matter what.

SeattleGriz
December 23rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
I would hazard a guess and say 70% of us are driving. Almost all of the comments on Bisonville are travelers who are driving. Tickets were sold out by Sunday afternoon. I think this would have happened no matter what.

Sorry, was also comparing apples to oranges. My point was that if the big time BCS bowl games only had six days from their last game until they played their bowl game, what would the attendance look like?

The extra time the FCS playoffs have added has been a much needed boost to attendance.

Grizzlies82
December 23rd, 2011, 07:55 PM

You did miss his point. It's understandable since NDSU is new to this whole thing with FCS Championship games.

Prior to last year there was one week (not three) to make a decision and follow through with;
1) Getting a ticket 2) Making arrangements to miss work. 3) Make travel plans (air or car) 4) Lining up lodging.

All of that was done to travel to Huntington, WV and Chattanooga, TN not Dallas. Montana sent between 3,500 and 5,000 to each of their games based upon those contraints. Essentially there were about five days to arrange it and actually travel there.

If Montana had won the Semi this year I promise you we would have sent 10,000 to a Championship in Dallas. Now don't worry about it. Just go. Have fun. Then figure out what went wrong when the Bearkats eat up your fabulous defense.