PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Morning News: Is FCS Playoff System Working?

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2011, 07:22 AM
Of course it is...

FRISCO — Sam Houston State and North Dakota State did not rely on rankings, coach’s polls or computer data to reach the NCAA Division I Football Championship. They earned their spots in the Jan. 7 contest by advancing in the playoffs.

Either the Bearkats or Bison will walk off the field at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco as the national champion. No debate.

“It is survival of the fittest,” Sam Houston State coach Willie Fritz said Wednesday. “You’ve got to be mentally tough and you’ve got to be physically tough to advance and keep playing.”

Is the FCS system better than the FBS?

“The playoff format is a phenomenal format,” Bison coach Craig Bohl said. “In the other system, you’re looking at how many points you’re going to win by and what the ratings are going to be and what the computers are going to say. Our players have embraced this, and all I can say is that it works.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20111221-fcs-title-game-in-frisco-announces-sellout-is-playoff-format-working.ece

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2011, 08:56 AM
The perfect companion piece to this article:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/145-what-if-the-fcs-were-bowls-instead-of-playoffs

This illustrates what might have happened if the FCS had a BCS-style system. For starters, North Dakota State wouldn't have had a shot at the championship.

kdinva
December 22nd, 2011, 09:15 AM

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/145-what-if-the-fcs-were-bowls-instead-of-playoffs

This illustrates what might have happened if the FCS had a BCS-style system. For starters, North Dakota State wouldn't have had a shot at the championship.

I wonder why this author did not include (7-4) Liberty & CCU in his "bowl list", but included Dayton, Yale, Penn, Dartmouth, Campbell.......

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
I wonder why this author did not include (7-4) Liberty & CCU in his "bowl list", but included Dayton, Yale, Penn, Dartmouth, Campbell.......

Oops! That's been fixed.

BisonHype!
December 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Yes, the BCS system in the FCS would suck.

Strommer10
December 22nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Yes, the BCS system in the FCS would suck.

It's interesting for about a minute, then I lose the excitement. Viva la Playoffs!

DFW HOYA
December 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
One argument that the playoff system is not working: when 22% of the subdivision is ineligible for the playoffs.

deez_na
December 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
The playoff system blows the BCS system out of the water. I wish they could realize that and make D1 better

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
One argument that the playoff system is not working: when 22% of the subdivision is ineligible for the playoffs.

If you are referring to the Ivy League and SWAC... they chose not to participate and continue to choose not to participate (though the SWAC could get in conceivably with many hurdles based on TDC, Bayou Classic & SWAC Championship Game).

If you are referring to the Pioneer League, that's just a mess the NCAA created and I agree, that something is not working - but the NCAA has no idea what to do with those schools! Placing them in Div I FCS is not a good idea nor did they think having them in Div III was a good idea!

BisonHype!
December 22nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
If you are referring to the Ivy League and SWAC... they chose not to participate and continue to choose not to participate (though the SWAC could get in conceivably with many hurdles based on TDC, Bayou Classic & SWAC Championship Game).

If you are referring to the Pioneer League, that's just a mess the NCAA created and I agree, that something is not working - but the NCAA has no idea what to do with those schools! Placing them in Div I FCS is not a good idea nor did they think having them in Div III was a good idea!

FBS needs to just call the Playoff games Bowl games, and they get the best of both. Or have bowl games for those that don't make the playoffs. Whatever you do, get a playoff so you know who is the best, and if the Boise's and the TCU's of the world really belong.

I would love to see FCS Schools get a shot at something like this as well. Kind of like March Madness. I would like to keep the FCS Playoffs though. Sometimes those Mid-Major teams can make a run occasionally. ANYGIVENSATURDAY!

DFW HOYA
December 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM

A number of these schools would like to be playoff-eligible, but the conference leaderships maintain favoritism in certain rivalries and processes which are difficult to break.

This same argument was used against the NEC for years, too. Let the Pioneer be eligible and see how they do.

patssle
December 22nd, 2011, 05:20 PM

I'll disagree with his bowl lineup. To get into the BCS national championship, you have to be a known program with a history of winning and perceived as a power. Has Houston beaten Southern Miss, they would not have been the #2 school vs. LSU.

Thus, SHSU wouldn't be in the national championship given our history (or lack-thereof)

Thank god for playoffs.

Tubby Raymond
December 22nd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Step up, don't whine about it.

danefan
December 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
This same argument was used against the NEC for years, too. Let the Pioneer be eligible and see how they do.

I agree.

Some of the best playoff games this year included teams people didn't think belonged.

Jazzman1522
December 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
FBS needs to just call the Playoff games Bowl games, and they get the best of both. Or have bowl games for those that don't make the playoffs. Whatever you do, get a playoff so you know who is the best, and if the Boise's and the TCU's of the world really belong.

I would love to see FCS Schools get a shot at something like this as well. Kind of like March Madness. I would like to keep the FCS Playoffs though. Sometimes those Mid-Major teams can make a run occasionally. ANYGIVENSATURDAY!

The best idea I've ever heard for the FBS is to have a 16 team playoff in a very similar manner to the way FCS did before the expansion to 20. Home sites for every game but the championship, auto bids for conference winners, at-large bids for the rest, etc. Keep the bowls around for everyone who didn't make it, like the NIT in basketball, but axe a few of the bottom ones to make up for the fact that 16 teams that would have been bowl eligible but are now playoff teams.

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
A number of these schools would like to be playoff-eligible, but the conference leaderships maintain favoritism in certain rivalries and processes which are difficult to break.

No.

They don't deserve it.

Get scholarships and show that they can't beat FCS teams from scholarship conferences - then we can think about giving them an auto-bid.

LakesBison
December 22nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
MPLS XMAS IN GRAND FORKS FOR U AGAIN?

Big Dawg
December 22nd, 2011, 10:16 PM

*sigh* FAMU finished 7-4...not 6-5...pet peeve LOL

I-16Bandit
December 22nd, 2011, 11:28 PM
The playoff system blows the BCS system out of the water. I wish they could realize that and make D1 better

The issue? They would loose money.

Grizalltheway
December 22nd, 2011, 11:38 PM
MPLS XMAS IN GRAND FORKS FOR U AGAIN?

I thought you were in Haiti? xcoffeex

FargoBison
December 23rd, 2011, 01:30 AM
The issue? They would loose money.

The bowl reps would lose money but the schools would be swimming in cash...

http://www.citypages.com/2011-12-14/news/college-bowl-system-loots-universities/