PDA

View Full Version : Mark Speir to be named head coach at Western Carolina

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM
figured this needed it's own thread, will be introduced tomorrow. Good hire by the 'Cats, Speir is arguably the best coach on our staff and is head of the recruiting, let's see how he can do with about half the resources ASU has at a program that has been a bottom feeder for a while now, this is a step in the right direction for them for sure though. For those that don't know, Speir went to WCU and has coached there before so he has ties there, rumor is he will be bringing a few more ASU assistants with him.

GSU Eagle
December 21st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Look at it this way-- WCU cannot possibly get any worst. Their is only 1 way to go and that is up.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 06:18 PM
Look at it this way-- WCU cannot possibly get any worst. Their is only 1 way to go and that is up.I wouldn't say that, with their awful money situation another stretch of 1-2 win seasons and their football program as a whole could be in jeopardy. They need to start winning asap and start filling that stadium.

catamount man
December 21st, 2011, 06:28 PM
Speir knows the pressure but knows the area, contacts, etc TEN TRILLION times better than Wagner ever did. (Bad hire that was.:o)

Looking forward to Mark making THE CATS competitive again....and winning.

GO CATS!!!

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
Speir knows the pressure but knows the area, contacts, etc TEN TRILLION times better than Wagner ever did. (Bad hire that was.:o)

Looking forward to Mark making THE CATS competitive again....and winning.

GO CATS!!!I think you have a good one as long as he can build up on offense that will score around 20+ points a game, his defenses should be able to do the rest. Again, wonder if he'll consider a triple option. I know people will come at my neck saying "NO MORE SOCON TRIPLE OPTION" but for Western it may be their best chance.

GSU Eagle
December 21st, 2011, 06:32 PM
I know the excitement at Ga. Southern when Jeff Monken was hired 2 years ago. I am sure the Western fans are equally excited about their new coach.

Apphole
December 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
If you were a senior associate at Google, would you leave to become CEO of Dunder Mifflin?

catamount man
December 21st, 2011, 06:52 PM
If you were a senior associate at Google, would you leave to become CEO of Dunder Mifflin?

Moore probably thought the same thing when he was offered the App job back in late 1988. He always said he'd never even heard of Boone, NC.

We have got a good one. Looking forward to this!:D

asumike83
December 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Moore probably thought the same thing when he was offered the App job back in late 1988. He always said he'd never even heard of Boone, NC.

We have got a good one. Looking forward to this!:D

Yeah man, y'all have a good one. I am happy that he got an opportunity to be a head coach but hate to see him leave. This should certainly spice up the Jug games!

Wildcat80
December 21st, 2011, 09:00 PM
Nothing better than stealing from your archrival...weakens them...makes you stronger! How many wins in 2012? 3??

superman7515
December 22nd, 2011, 06:41 AM
Look at it this way-- WCU cannot possibly get any worst. Their is only 1 way to go and that is up.

There's always worse. At least they aren't VMI.

Smitty
December 22nd, 2011, 08:44 AM
Nothing better than stealing from your archrival...weakens them...makes you stronger! How many wins in 2012? 3??

I am hoping to at least double our wins...

kdinva
December 22nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
There's always worse. At least they aren't VMI.

Merry christmas to you, too.......we think we can win 5 or 6 in 2012. xbangx

ASU_Fanatic
December 22nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
I am hoping to at least double our wins...So what WOULD be a successful season in the eyes of a Western fan next season? 3-8 with a win over a SoCon team?

Smitty
December 22nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
OFFICIAL: Mark Speir named HC at WCU

Smitty
December 22nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
So what WOULD be a successful season in the eyes of a Western fan next season? 3-8 with a win over a SoCon team?

Honestly I would be happy with keeping at least 8 teams below 20 points...

ASU_Fanatic
December 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Looks like Coach Speir will run a similar offense that ASU does, so they will be looking for speed. But it's obvious his primary focus is defense.

jpincince
December 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
Nice Jerry Moore quote: "He is a great coach, and a better man; he is the kind of guy that you would love your son to go play for."

http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122211aaa.html