PDA

View Full Version : Nickname transition now appearing

Pages : [1] 2 3

darell1976
December 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
UND's athletic website Fightingsioux.com has now transitioned away. When typed you will be redirected to undsports.com. Also there is talk that the Alerus Center, while getting new turf for next season, will have just North Dakota in the endzones instead of Sioux as is now. The only question is how many of the logos will come down from the privately owned Ralph Engelstad Arena. The NCAA is going to take a personal trip to Grand Forks in January (not during a hockey game due to scheduling conflicts) to view the arena and possibly review what logos were to come down in the 2007 settlement and maybe save more logos as "historical value". It was noted in the settlement that not all the logos were going due to financial problems and historical value (like banners, statues, etc). The REA did say they were NOT going to pay for any logos to come off the building.

DJKyR0
December 21st, 2011, 05:21 PM
The REA did say they were NOT going to pay for any logos to come off the building.

Getchya popcorn ready.

It is nice to see this finally heading in the direction of a resolution, though. Maybe the ND legislature can find something else to splurge on once this is wrapped up.

FarSouthBison
December 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Who Cares! I hope they make them take them all out. Then we'll see old Ralph roll over in his grave.

Hammerhead
December 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM
New turf in the Alerus Center already? I thought they were in the red?

P.S. I know where you can find a used roll of indoor turf that was good luck for the Whouix before the rivalry went on hiatus. xxmasx

darell1976
December 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM
New turf in the Alerus Center already? I thought they were in the red?

P.S. I know where you can find a used roll of indoor turf that was good luck for the Whouix before the rivalry went on hiatus. xxmasx

Our turf already produced a National title and a runner up team plus a 2-0 record against NDSU so we had very good luck with the turf.

GoAgs72
December 21st, 2011, 11:47 PM
From Yahoo News: http://news.yahoo.com/ncaa-bad-call-changing-north-dakotas-tribal-nickname-113000384.html

NoDak 4 Ever
December 22nd, 2011, 06:24 AM
Our turf already produced a National title and a runner up team plus a 2-0 record against NDSU so we had very good luck with the turf.

remember this?

A DI Mistake
NDSU's jump to DI sports spells disaster for NCC, ND college sports

http://www.dakotastudent.com/2.5866/a-di-mistake-1.873384#.TvMhUdVjmUl

darell1976
December 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
remember this?

A DI Mistake
NDSU's jump to DI sports spells disaster for NCC, ND college sports

http://www.dakotastudent.com/2.5866/a-di-mistake-1.873384#.TvMhUdVjmUl

That came after our runner up and 2-0 vs NDSU.;)

I know Sioux fans (including me) were mad that we didn't move in 04 (thanks RT, and Kuppy), but at least we are finally playoff eligible, in an AQ conference, and ready to take on the FCS world.

darell1976
December 22nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
Getchya popcorn ready.

It is nice to see this finally heading in the direction of a resolution, though. Maybe the ND legislature can find something else to splurge on once this is wrapped up.

I think something will be worked out the REA would lose money if UND couldn't play hockey there, and plus the REA makes lots of $$$ for the NCAA to just sit empty.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 22nd, 2011, 08:21 AM
That came after our runner up and 2-0 vs NDSU.;)

I know Sioux fans (including me) were mad that we didn't move in 04 (thanks RT, and Kuppy), but at least we are finally playoff eligible, in an AQ conference, and ready to take on the FCS world.

Portland State has been in that same AQ conference for years....that doesn't mean much.

darell1976
December 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Portland State has been in that same AQ conference for years....that doesn't mean much.

It is a lot better for scheduling when you have 13 teams in your conference, and you have a shot at the playoffs. In the GWFC..well look at NDSU, 1 loss and you still don't go to the playoffs, seems like a waste of a good team if you can't showcase it against the best of the rest. Just getting out of the GWFC/Indy hell is what UND needed to do (for its athletic teams) even if it meant losing its name and logo to please the hypocrates of the NCAA.

TheBisonator
December 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM

Don't forget Northern Arizona and Sacramento State (they play their BB games in a middle school gym)

NoDak 4 Ever
December 22nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
Don't forget Northern Arizona and Sacramento State (they play their BB games in a middle school gym)

Yeah. I was thinking that. The Whioux look at the Big Sky and they think "Montana"....the rest of the world looks at them in the Big Sky and thinks "Idaho State" or something like that. Recruiting just got harder too it appears.

darell1976
December 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM

Total attendance for UND at Sac St last Sunday....406!!!

darell1976
December 22nd, 2011, 08:36 AM
Yeah. I was thinking that. The Whioux look at the Big Sky and they think "Montana"....the rest of the world looks at them in the Big Sky and thinks "Idaho State" or something like that. Recruiting just got harder too it appears.

Then they never paid attention to UND in the 2000's when we can walk into UNI and beat them the same with SUU (we crushed them), then we became DI we beat Idaho State (IMO was the reason they backed out of the home and home), and we were in a dogfight with Montana so we are not going to end up like ISU, or UNC. I CANNOT wait to get this new Big Sky football season going to prove to people that we belong. Just like I am sure South Dakota is going to try to do that in the MVFC.

Bison06
December 22nd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Then they never paid attention to UND in the 2000's when we can walk into UNI and beat them the same with SUU (we crushed them), then we became DI we beat Idaho State (IMO was the reason they backed out of the home and home), and we were in a dogfight with Montana so we are not going to end up like ISU, or UNC. I CANNOT wait to get this new Big Sky football season going to prove to people that we belong. Just like I am sure South Dakota is going to try to do that in the MVFC.

You didn't ask for it, but here is my honest assessment of how UND's first 5-10 years in the Big Sky will play out.

In the beginning, UND will have moderate success. They have built a team that is designed similarly to NDSU's. Very physical with big offensive lineman who will push you around.

The Big Sky, even though most Big Sky fans won't admit it, is a less physical conference and probably has more talented skill positions than other conferences. They play more of a wide open game and when UND starts in the conference they will bring a different style that will have some success.

A few year go by and UND decides to get to the next level of success in that conference they need to follow suite and turn to a more wide open passing type of offense. Of course, because of recruiting disadvantages of trying to get more of these types of players to Grand Forks, ND, they will be trying to beat Montana and Montana St. at their own game with less talent.

Eventually they will realize to reach the next level of success in the Big Sky, they need to go back to the original style they came into the conference with and will be once again recruiting these types of players.

I believe it takes them 7-10 years to figure that part out and at that point, if the program hasn't fallen off too far they will begin to have success in the Big Sky.

So, in summary.

Years 1-2: 6-7 wins
Years 3-7: 3-5 wins as they will be trying to completely change the identity of the team.
Years 8-10:6-8 wins and begin to see them emerge as one of the top 3-4 teams in the Big Sky every year.

Rip away.

darell1976
December 22nd, 2011, 09:13 AM
You didn't ask for it, but here is my honest assessment of how UND's first 5-10 years in the Big Sky will play out.

In the beginning, UND will have moderate success. They have built a team that is designed similarly to NDSU's. Very physical with big offensive lineman who will push you around.

The Big Sky, even though most Big Sky fans won't admit it, is a less physical conference and probably has more talented skill positions than other conferences. They play more of a wide open game and when UND starts in the conference they will bring a different style that will have some success.

A few year go by and UND decides to get to the next level of success in that conference they need to follow suite and turn to a more wide open passing type of offense. Of course, because of recruiting disadvantages of trying to get more of these types of players to Grand Forks, ND, they will be trying to beat Montana and Montana St. at their own game with less talent.

Eventually they will realize to reach the next level of success in the Big Sky, they need to go back to the original style they came into the conference with and will be once again recruiting these types of players.

I believe it takes them 7-10 years to figure that part out and at that point, if the program hasn't fallen off too far they will begin to have success in the Big Sky.

So, in summary.

Years 3-7: 3-5 wins as they will be trying to completely change the identity of the team.
Years 8-10:6-8 wins and begin to see them emerge as one of the top 3-4 teams in the Big Sky every year.

Rip away.

For a fan of UND's most hated rival...I give you props for coming up with this. That is something to look out for. But you left out one thing...when does Mussman leave the team, between years 3-7? As for recruiting UND is battling NDSU for recruits around here and now with the NC game for NDSU, Muss has to work even harder to get kids to UND (plus with the Fargodome getting new turf that went from a negative to even with the Alerus who is also getting new turf). I think UND's youngers are going to have to prove themselves early in the season, yes we have that crap game against SD Mines which puts even more pressure to reach 7 wins. Then OOC games against PSU and SDSU (Aztecs), UND better figure their offensive and defensive schemes before conference play. I just wished your time table looked like this: Years 1-(til UND goes FBS) one of the top teams in the Big Sky.:)

Bison06
December 22nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
For a fan of UND's most hated rival...I give you props for coming up with this. That is something to look out for. But you left out one thing...when does Mussman leave the team, between years 3-7? As for recruiting UND is battling NDSU for recruits around here and now with the NC game for NDSU, Muss has to work even harder to get kids to UND (plus with the Fargodome getting new turf that went from a negative to even with the Alerus who is also getting new turf). I think UND's youngers are going to have to prove themselves early in the season, yes we have that crap game against SD Mines which puts even more pressure to reach 7 wins. Then OOC games against PSU and SDSU (Aztecs), UND better figure their offensive and defensive schemes before conference play. I just wished your time table looked like this: Years 1-(til UND goes FBS) one of the top teams in the Big Sky.:)

Yes, with the advent of the new offense in year 3-7, they will hire a new coaching staff which I believe will be a contributing factor in why those are "dark years" for UND. When they finally figure it out in years 8-10 another coaching change will be made to bring back the original type of offense. With all the 2012 talk yesterday I am feeling like Nostradamus this morning I guess.

Bison06
December 22nd, 2011, 09:22 AM

I also don't think national championships necessarily lead to an amazing recruiting class the following year. When UND won the championship in 2001, NDSU mopped up in the state of ND for all of the top talent. But yes, it is one more disadvantage in recruiting.

deez_na
December 22nd, 2011, 09:24 AM
I wish the Bison and UND would play each other cause it would be an absolute murdering for the Sioux. I don't know why but they have just been alot worse than they typically are.

darell1976
December 22nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
I wish the Bison and UND would play each other cause it would be an absolute murdering for the Sioux. I don't know why but they have just been alot worse than they typically are.

Because we are not playing the St. Cloud States or the Augstanas? Instead we are playing the Cal Polys and Montanas. As for the Bison murdering the Sioux..I would love to see the result of the two play. You never know who would win. Looks like a blowout on paper(in favor of NDSU of course) but thats why they play the game.

deez_na
December 22nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Because we are not playing the St. Cloud States or the Augstanas? Instead we are playing the Cal Polys and Montanas. As for the Bison murdering the Sioux..I would love to see the result of the two play. You never know who would win. Looks like a blowout on paper(in favor of NDSU of course) but thats why they play the game.

Anyone with football intelligence would know the result before even being played. UND is not that good of a team, i have talked to so many sioux fans that say the bison would stomp UND right now. They couldn't hardly beat a Division II school this year (Sioux Falls). They needed a miracle to come back against South Dakota when they were getting absolutely creamed. Bison would shut down that sad offense with ease. Their CB's need to learn how to turn around and look for the ball coming when passes are thrown. I've seen them play plenty of times. Not a very good team at all.

darell1976
December 22nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Anyone with football intelligence would know the result before even being played. UND is not that good of a team, i have talked to so many sioux fans that say the bison would stomp UND right now. They couldn't hardly beat a Division II school this year (Sioux Falls). They needed a miracle to come back against South Dakota when they were getting absolutely creamed. Bison would shut down that sad offense with ease. Their CB's need to learn how to turn around and look for the ball coming when passes are thrown. I've seen them play plenty of times. Not a very good team at all.

Thats why you play the game. Didn't they say the same thing about Michigan against App St? Or better yet YSU against NDSU?

BisonHype!
December 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Down the road there might be some good games, but not this year. Your out of your rocker thinking that the Sioux are better this year. Enjoy your couch!

deez_na
December 22nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Thats why you play the game. Didn't they say the same thing about Michigan against App St? Or better yet YSU against NDSU?

Yes that is why they play the game, UND would have a slim chance if NDSU played one of their worst games. If they play average or like they have in the playoffs, the game would be like 35-0

WestRiverBison
December 22nd, 2011, 09:48 AM

So, in summary.

Rip away.

Be careful or people will start confusing you with "the Oracle" (aka Star2City) and all his wild predictions! :D

darell1976
December 22nd, 2011, 09:50 AM
Down the road there might be some good games, but not this year. Your out of your rocker thinking that the Sioux are better this year. Enjoy your couch!

Thats why they play the game. You can be a 30 point favorite and if you throw a critical pick or fumble the ball or have an injury you could lose. Everything looks cut and dried on paper but sometimes the game doesn't go the way you want it.

deez_na
December 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Thats why they play the game. You can be a 30 point favorite and if you throw a critical pick or fumble the ball or have an injury you could lose. Everything looks cut and dried on paper but sometimes the game doesn't go the way you want it.

I'm not looking on paper, i'm looking results and games played and how they look on the field. They are in 2 different leagues right now. Once again, UND needed a field at HOME to beat a team that's just in transition to Division 2. That is down right pathetic.

darell1976
December 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Lets go back to the original topic. If you want to see what happens if the Sioux were to play the Bison...attend to your gaming system.

BisonHype!
December 22nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
We all want to see NDSU vs. UND happen, but this year is probably not the year that UND would like to start playing NDSU again.

deez_na
December 22nd, 2011, 10:02 AM
Lets go back to the original topic. If you want to see what happens if the Sioux were to play the Bison...attend to your gaming system.

Sioux might have been a different team if they hadn't been going through all this transition & nickname crap which probably hurts them but don't try and be serious and act like they have any chance at all of beating the Bison, it's just a complete joke. Next year will show how the Sioux will really fair when they play real teams.

deez_na
December 22nd, 2011, 10:02 AM
Oh and you might wanna hope for more than 6,000 fans showing up for games, that's also pretty sad that they can't get a crowd in there at all.

Hammerhead
December 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Portland State also plays bball games in the Stott Center with a capacity of 2,000 seats. 602 were in attendance for the game against CSU-Bakersfield last week.

deez_na
December 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Portland State also plays bball games in the Stott Center with a capacity of 2,000 seats. 602 were in attendance for the game against CSU-Bakersfield last week.

That's painful. You would think UND with the alerus center seating 11,000 and a growing city would get that half filled but they don't even do that hardly. It's ugly.

LakesBison
December 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Everytime you people.reply to.this moron he gets a boner and beats it.

Und aint **** and havent beaten anyone and ONLY.1 fan on this board writes about him.

Dont reply to.him,

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
Everytime you people.reply to.this moron he gets a boner and beats it.

Und aint **** and havent beaten anyone and ONLY.1 fan on this board writes about him.

Dont reply to.him,

And everytime you reply with the same crap and name calling you show what kind of a two year old you are and more of a reason why Bison fans want nothing to do with you.

LakesBison
December 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
They always party with me, cuz they know I got the hook ups. Sorry dude your the only fan of that **** team, you should find a new hobby. Try skydiving.

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 09:05 AM
That is all that UND gets for attendance at football games??? 6,000? I would have thought it would have been atleast close to a sell out up there. Wow..

TheBisonator
December 23rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
That is all that UND gets for attendance at football games??? 6,000? I would have thought it would have been atleast close to a sell out up there. Wow..

It's actually something like 7,500 not 6,000. But they have had some pathetic attendances the past few seasons still. They only had 7,400 for their Dakota Jr. Bowl game against USD playing for the GWFC title.

It's weird, there's actually a higher percentage of Fargo-Moorhead metro area residents who attend Bison FB games than the percentage of GF metro area residents who go to UND football games.

deez_na
December 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
yeah 6000 was a quick guess but it barely fills over half the stadium at games. I was at the USD game with my brother who is a sioux fan and I was like wow, an ok amount of people but considering it's for the GWFC title and the toughest team they played all year at home, you would think they would fill 75-80% of it anyway. They better hope for better crowds next year when playing teams like Montana. It's pretty sad.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
Why do Bison fans care about UND's attendance? Why don't they care about SDSU's attendance or USD's attendance. Your building holds more, your #1 sport is football and your metro has 208,777 where Grand Forks's metro is 98,641. So if UND doesn't fill their building its not going to hurt NDSU. Thank you for your concern in UND football.

TheBisonator
December 23rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
Why do Bison fans care about UND's attendance? Why don't they care about SDSU's attendance or USD's attendance. Your building holds more, your #1 sport is football and your metro has 208,777 where Grand Forks's metro is 98,641. So if UND doesn't fill their building its not going to hurt NDSU. Thank you for your concern in UND football.

The reason why I mentioned that population percentage, DARELL.... Is that Who fans over the years have given NDSU fans the business in the argument that more percentage of GF residents attend UND FB games than F-M residents attend NDSU FB games. This is no longer the case. You no longer have that argument. THAT'S why I wanted to point that out.

deez_na
December 23rd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Well it's pretty sad that they can't fill that up for their games. People apparently don't care enough about the team like years past. I'm sure the fact that UND has played weak teams through their transition period isn't helping the cause. Hopefully when you schedule real teams next year your attendance will go up and people will be there cheering. It gets so dead in the place during games, people don't cheer at all.

TheBisonator
December 23rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
Well it's pretty sad that they can't fill that up for their games. People apparently don't care enough about the team like years past. I'm sure the fact that UND has played weak teams through their transition period isn't helping the cause. Hopefully when you schedule real teams next year your attendance will go up and people will be there cheering. It gets so dead in the place during games, people don't cheer at all.

That's what I keep hearing from the Who fans. "Oh, once we start playing a Big Sky home schedule and we start playing all these Big Sky teams, we're gonna PACK the place!!" Thing is though that Cal-Poly, UC Davis and SUU are all going into the BSC next year and UND has had crappy attendances for games against those three teams the past several years. And they can't even get close to 8,000 for USD, a school they played a trophy game with for many decades, for a conference title. So the track record does not look good.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 09:46 AM

Just like NDSU can't fill up their BSA? UND always sells out the ralph (our #1 sport)...how does NDSU #2 sport basketball compare to UND's #2 sport football. UND has roughly 7-8k, NDSU has how many at the BSA per night? 1625 was their last home game. I know it was against NAIA Mayville State...what you don't sell out games while playing a NAIA team? Imagine that.

deez_na
December 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
That's what I keep hearing from the Who fans. "Oh, once we start playing a Big Sky home schedule and we start playing all these Big Sky teams, we're gonna PACK the place!!" Thing is though that Cal-Poly, UC Davis and SUU are all going into the BSC next year and UND has had crappy attendances for games against those three teams the past several years. And they can't even get close to 8,000 for USD, a school they played a trophy game with for many decades, for a conference title. So the track record does not look good.

NO it's definately not positive for them. of all their games, that USD game was pretty much their biggest game the past 5 years and they can't even fill it up in there.

deez_na
December 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
You are comparing a football game to basketball attendance?

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
You are comparing a football game to basketball attendance?

Just like you compare Fargo's metro to Grand Forks's metro. Thats like comparing Minneapolis (city only) to Duluth.

TheBisonator
December 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Just like NDSU can't fill up their BSA? UND always sells out the ralph (our #1 sport)...how does NDSU #2 sport basketball compare to UND's #2 sport football. UND has roughly 7-8k, NDSU has how many at the BSA per night? 1625 was their last home game. I know it was against NAIA Mayville State...what you don't sell out games while playing a NAIA team? Imagine that.

Just pointing something out: If you combine the one-game average attendance for NDSU's top two sports and UND's top two sports, NDSU outdraws UND. (NDSU has something like 20,500 while UND has something like 18,500)

deez_na
December 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
So a city twice as big averaged just under 18,000 a game and the other one average rough 7,800. That's a big thanks to the homecoming game that had over 9,000. 2 games barely hit in the mid 6,000's. If you go by city size shouldn't you average half the attendance of a bison game?

TheBisonator
December 23rd, 2011, 10:00 AM
So a city twice as big averaged just under 18,000 a game and the other one average rough 7,800. That's a big thanks to the homecoming game that had over 9,000. 2 games barely hit in the mid 6,000's. If you go buy city size shouldn't you average half the attendance of a bison game?

Actually, NDSU averaged exactly 18,143 per game, that's including playoff undercounts. UND averaged, I think the number was 7,841. GF's metro area is 47 percent of F-M's metro, yet UND only averaged 43 percent of NDSU's FB attendance.

deez_na
December 23rd, 2011, 10:03 AM
Oh ok, thanks for the numbers. That explains it better. Since we're on the transition thread anyway, anyone wanna predict UND's record next season playing some real teams?

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 10:11 AM

= Butt hurt. I wasn't taking a shot. I was actually suprised, and trying to confirm the stat. I cheer for the Sioux to do well when they don't play the Bison.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Just pointing something out: If you combine the one-game average attendance for NDSU's top two sports and UND's top two sports, NDSU outdraws UND. (NDSU has something like 20,500 while UND has something like 18,500)

NDSU
18143 football (97% capacity)
2357 basketball ( 39% capacity)

UND
11,519 hockey (99% capacity)
7841 football (64% capacity)

You have to compare capacity when comparing the two schools since the venues are bigger/smaller.

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
OMG, what is the percentage that you fill for Badminton?

My point: Let's not get into a pissing match over this.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
OMG, what is the percentage that you fill for Badminton?

My point: Let's not get into a pissing match over this.

This just proves that football is #1 in Fargo and hockey is #1 in Grand Forks. It will never change. Don't worry IMO playing for a national title, better marketing, and a full DI schedule (still trying to get SD Mines off the schedule) is going to up boost our attendance, plus defending conference champs helps!!

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
This just proves that football is #1 in Fargo and hockey is #1 in Grand Forks. It will never change. Don't worry IMO playing for a national title, better marketing, and a full DI schedule (still trying to get SD Mines off the schedule) is going to up boost our attendance, plus defending conference champs helps!!

Agreed. Playing in a better division, better teams should raise attendence... as long as your moderately successful. I have no doubt that the Sioux will put together a decent FCS program.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Agreed. Playing in a better division, better teams should raise attendence... as long as your moderately successful. I have no doubt that the Sioux will put together a decent FCS program.

Thanks...and I did pick NDSU to win the NC game. NDSU just by getting to the game has raised the bar and UND has a lot of catching up to do.

northernfire
December 23rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
Interesting discussion regarding NDSU vs. UND in football attendance. However, in my opinion, it’s an apples and oranges comparison. NDSU is full out football and UND’s overwhelming passion is hockey. Circa: November 22, 2003. I was doing a medical in-service at the GF Air Base. Late afternoon dining was a mad house is GF with long waiting lines and sold out hotels. That afternoon UND hosted a playoff football game and I doubt if it was sold out. Conversely, that evening, the Sioux were hosting either the Gophers or the Badgers in hockey at the REA and there was no such thing as an available ticket. I vividly remember that day as in the days to follow we learned a young lady had been abducted from a mall parking lot that very afternoon. Sort of brings you back to reality, dosen't it.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Interesting discussion regarding NDSU vs. UND in football attendance. However, in my opinion, it’s an apples and oranges comparison. NDSU is full out football and UND’s overwhelming passion is hockey. Circa: November 22, 2003. I was doing a medical in-service at the GF Air Base. Late afternoon dining was a mad house is GF with long waiting lines and sold out hotels. That afternoon UND hosted a playoff football game and I doubt if it was sold out. Conversely, that evening, the Sioux were hosting either the Gophers or the Badgers in hockey at the REA and there was no such thing as an available ticket. I vividly remember that day as in the days to follow we learned a young lady had been abducted from a mall parking lot that very afternoon. Sort of brings you back to reality, dosen't it.

And that SOB is still on death row with his 100 appeals. Fry his @ss!!!

TheBisonator
December 23rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
And that SOB is still on death row with his 100 appeals. Fry his @ss!!!

No death penalty in North Dakota... WOOAAA-WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH......

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
No death penalty in North Dakota... WOOAAA-WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH......

He is on death row in Indiana. He crossed state line(kidnapped her in ND, and killed her in MN) so it was a federal crime punishable by death which he got.

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Which guy are you guys talking about?

deez_na
December 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
I believe Alfonso

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
OOOOOOOOOOO ... Alfonso!xconfusedx

TheBisonator
December 23rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
Oh BTW Darell, tell your fellow UND fans on SS.com to STOP making disparaging comments about the football division that YOU FREAKING play in. It's quite embarrassing as a North Dakotan for me to read those comments. You might as well drop football if your fan base is going to have these kind of opinions on the FCS.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Oh BTW Darell, tell your fellow UND fans on SS.com to STOP making disparaging comments about the football division that YOU FREAKING play in. It's quite embarrassing as a North Dakotan for me to read those comments. You might as well drop football if your fan base is going to have these kind of opinions on the FCS.

I already did make a comment on it:

You can also connect it to the nickname issue too. About 99% of people that want the nickname to stay at all costs are hockey fans only, the people who want it to go to save us from Indy hell is fans of the other sports (basketball, football, volleyball etc.). The FCS is our home, its the only top division we can be at. We can't go FBS because of our stadium, our funds, and our not getting any invites. NDSU is 1 up on us because their stadium is bigger. FCS is where we all should have been in the 1970's but waited too long, then we should have been here when UNC, NDSU, and SDSU decided to go, but waited too long. Now we are here, we won our first conference title, we got into a superior conference and in under 200 days will be playoff eligible. Let us unite as UND fans and wish our sports teams the best of luck, not belittle the division they are in. We all bleed green. We are NORTH DAKOTA!!!!

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
OOOOOOOOOOO ... Alfonso!xconfusedx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Dru_Sjodin

On August 30, 2006, Rodriguez was convicted in federal court of the murder of Dru Sjodin, and on September 22, 2006, he was sentenced to death. It was the first death penalty case in a century to take place in North Dakota. Neither North Dakota nor neighboring Minnesota have the death penalty, but Rodriguez was tried under federal law because of the interstate nature of the crime. Rodriguez maintains that he is innocent. On February 8, 2007, Rodriguez was formally sentenced to death and prison in Terre Haute, Indiana.

BisonHype!
December 23rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Dru_Sjodin

Sorry, didn't remember his name. Everyone knows and will probably remember the search and the murder of Dru.... That guy does deserve exactly what he is getting.

Walkon79
December 23rd, 2011, 12:09 PM

Two in the final 8 is not Idaho State my friend. And why would recruiting get harder for UND? They're now in one of the premier conferences in FCS. I think that would attract a higher caliber recruit than being in the 5-team GWC.

TheBisonator
December 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Two in the final 8 is not Idaho State my friend. And why would recruiting get harder for UND? They're now in one of the premier conferences in FCS. I think that would attract a higher caliber recruit than being in the 5-team GWC.

Recruiting is always going to be incredibly difficult for UND afootball s long as NDSU exists. We won't win every single recruiting battle against them, but we'll be dominant enough in that area where it will make a big difference.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Recruiting is always going to be incredibly difficult for UND afootball s long as NDSU exists. We won't win every single recruiting battle against them, but we'll be dominant enough in that area where it will make a big difference.

Plus winning a national title (if they do) they can hold that over UND's recruiting head until UND hits the playoff road (whenever that will be).

Walkon79
December 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM

But the implication was recruiting was going to be more difficult because of the new conference affiliation. If that was not the intent, then I'm mistaken.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 12:25 PM

You are very much correct. Getting out of the GWFC is a huge boost for this team, as will going to the MVFC will be a boost for South Dakota. Being in a 5 team non-AQ conference was a huge disadvantage for all of us GWFC teams but now joining a premier conference it will boost our recruiting tools, and if we start getting some 8-10 win seasons UND will really be in a battle with NDSU. NDSU has had a 5 year head start...now the gap is getting smaller with UND getting into the BSC. If UND wins their conference and some playoff games that gap will become non-existant. Of course with Mussman's track record so far it may take some time.

deez_na
December 23rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
You are very much correct. Getting out of the GWFC is a huge boost for this team, as will going to the MVFC will be a boost for South Dakota. Being in a 5 team non-AQ conference was a huge disadvantage for all of us GWFC teams but now joining a premier conference it will boost our recruiting tools, and if we start getting some 8-10 win seasons UND will really be in a battle with NDSU. NDSU has had a 5 year head start...now the gap is getting smaller with UND getting into the BSC. If UND wins their conference and some playoff games that gap will become non-existant. Of course with Mussman's track record so far it may take some time.

Mussman needs to quit being so conservative. That and the fact that you can practically call every play he runs before he runs it. UND gets ahead on a team early and he sits and runs the ball non stop, PUNT, run, PUNT. Switch it up.

LakesBison
December 23rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
The more you reply to darrel the more boners he gets.

They are a pathetic school and program and fanbase. Racist too, nazi symphathizer money for arena, let them rot in hell

TheBisonator
December 23rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
The more you reply to darrel the more boners he gets.

They are a pathetic school and program and fanbase. Racist too, nazi symphathizer money for arena, let them rot in hell

Never stop doing what you do, Lakes. We love you man.

bisonwest
December 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
My take on Sioux football is that it will be hard to gauge where they really are until they have gone through the Big Sky one full season. UND showed signs of having a pretty good team at times this year. They also played some pretty bad football which I think could be more of a sign that the team is fairly young. I would guess the Sioux will be somewhere in the middle of the pack in the Sky next season. It will take a few years to get up to the level of the Montana schools or EWU but they will eventually get there. If the Bison and Sioux lined up today I would take NDSU 35-7. The game would probably be pretty good for three quarters but less depth would take it's toll on the Sioux.

bisonwest
December 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Mussman needs to quit being so conservative. That and the fact that you can practically call every play he runs before he runs it. UND gets ahead on a team early and he sits and runs the ball non stop, PUNT, run, PUNT. Switch it up.

You can say this about our offensive play calling at times as well. Seems to work a bit better for us and that's all that really matters.

LakesBison
December 23rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Bisonwest you don't listen! Hes thier ONLY fan, dont feed him

deez_na
December 23rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
You can say this about our offensive play calling at times as well. Seems to work a bit better for us and that's all that really matters.

Yeah but UND's is really bad. Bison can move the ball. UND struggles. They have 0 passing game. They can't hit targets and when they do it's surprising. They need to get their d-backs to learn to turn around when balls are thrown. I don't know how many times in the one game i went to a guy caught a pass slowing down when the sioux player was right on him but would never turn around and it would land right over the d'backs shoulder. Idk it's just very ugly alot of the time but they do look decent at times too.

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah but UND's is really bad. Bison can move the ball. UND struggles. They have 0 passing game. They can't hit targets and when they do it's surprising. They need to get their d-backs to learn to turn around when balls are thrown. I don't know how many times in the one game i went to a guy caught a pass slowing down when the sioux player was right on him but would never turn around and it would land right over the d'backs shoulder. Idk it's just very ugly alot of the time but they do look decent at times too.

This is what killed us against UNC. Their passing game lit up our d-backs. If it wasn't for Zeb Miller we wouldn't have won that game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
This is what killed us against UNC. Their passing game lit up our d-backs. If it wasn't for Zeb Miller we wouldn't have won that game.

UNC has been a total joke in the Big Sky. The Big Sky could have had all four Dakota schools in the conference making it one hell of a tough conference to win.

NDSU is in where they should be (Missouri Valley) but Big Sky officials screwed up in 2004, IMO.

LakesBison
December 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
God dam you people dont listen, quit feeding this loser. He masterbates to every reply you give him.

His team or fanbase doesnt deserve 1 reply

darell1976
December 23rd, 2011, 05:08 PM
UNC has been a total joke in the Big Sky. The Big Sky could have had all four Dakota schools in the conference making it one hell of a tough conference to win.

NDSU is in where they should be (Missouri Valley) but Big Sky officials screwed up in 2004, IMO.

I think UNC is the new Idaho State. Its suprising since they were really good in the NCC days.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 23rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
God dam you people dont listen, quit feeding this loser. He masterbates to every reply you give him.

Pot calling kettle........

bisonwest
December 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Bisonwest you don't listen! Hes thier ONLY fan, dont feed him

You are right about that lakes! I DO NOT listen to you.

Walkon79
December 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM

No argument here. We decided to go west when we had a perfoect opportunity to become the BEST conference in FCS. I blame Fullerton.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM

it can be summed up quite nicely with

darell1976 has much to be proud of

LakesBison can only hope to improve

The community likes him way more than you, clowny.

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 04:04 AM
it can be summed up quite nicely with

darell1976 has much to be proud of

LakesBison can only hope to improve

The community likes him way more than you, clowny.

And I didn't have to beg people to rep me like someone we know.

Gil Dobie
December 28th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Do they still show the Sioux logo in the programs. I know St Cloud State even blurred out the Chicago Black Hawk logo on a former Husky in a Chicago Uniform.

LakesBison
December 28th, 2011, 11:02 AM
why is this even relevant? moveon.org

Vitojr130
December 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM
why is this even relevant? moveon.org
Well it's relevant to any and all UND fans....

NoDak 4 Ever
December 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Well it's relevant to any and all UND fans....

This.

this isn't AnygivenBison.com...other schools have things going on too.

LakesBison
December 28th, 2011, 11:11 AM
but i dont see any of them on here.

Vitojr130
December 28th, 2011, 11:26 AM
but i dont see any of them on here.
Please tell me you are kidding. The OP is a UND fan. Sure, they may not have the large numbers of football fans that the Bison do, but they certainly have a few and they sporadically pop in and out of here. Don't discredit them all.

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Do they still show the Sioux logo in the programs. I know St Cloud State even blurred out the Chicago Black Hawk logo on a former Husky in a Chicago Uniform.

I know SCSU doesn't print or recognize the Sioux name in its hockey games against UND. They have done that for years...even before the NA policy by the NCAA. But they are the only one that ever did that. I guess after Saturday it doesn't matter. UND's Sioux name will be offically retired. It will be interesting to see in February the new hockey jerseys they are the last sport to have the Sioux logo on their uniforms after Dec 31st and thats only due to ordering.

TheBisonator
December 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I know SCSU doesn't print or recognize the Sioux name in its hockey games against UND. They have done that for years...even before the NA policy by the NCAA. But they are the only one that ever did that. I guess after Saturday it doesn't matter. UND's Sioux name will be offically retired. It will be interesting to see in February the new hockey jerseys they are the last sport to have the Sioux logo on their uniforms after Dec 31st and thats only due to ordering.

Is this really gonna happen?? I've been reading that there are moronic petitions floating around to force the school/govt. to stop the retirement of the name.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Is this really gonna happen?? I've been reading that there are moronic petitions floating around to force the school/govt. to stop the retirement of the name.

You have no idea how badly I want those petitions to succeed. This drama is priceless!

TheBisonator
December 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
You have no idea how badly I want those petitions to succeed. This drama is priceless!

Like I said on Bisonville:

Petition.
Injunction.
Lawsuit.

Repeat these three over and over again until we are all dead. THAT is what's gonna happen. And it's gonna waste SOOO much taxpayer money.

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 01:39 PM

It is going to happen. This Saturday is the date UND will be offically UND and off of the H&A list as we will have NO nickname. As for the petitions, yes the (hockey only crowd IMO) are the ones that are trying to push this petition. I will not sign it as it will compromise the other UND sports and the athletic department as the NCAA doesn't care about our laws but these idiots don't realize that, and signing a petition getting it to a state wide vote is just going to cost money that is going to kill UND sports.

Twentysix
December 28th, 2011, 01:41 PM
It is going to happen. This Saturday is the date UND will be offically UND and off of the H&A list as we will have NO nickname. As for the petitions, yes the (hockey only crowd IMO) are the ones that are trying to push this petition. I will not sign it as it will compromise the other UND sports and the athletic department as the NCAA doesn't care about our laws but these idiots don't realize that, and signing a petition getting it to a state wide vote is just going to cost money that is going to kill UND sports.

Lets be real darell, hockey is the only sport UND plays. Ask any random person wearing sioux gear you see in public, they will agree with me. xrotatehx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 28th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Like I said on Bisonville:

Petition.
Injunction.
Lawsuit.

Repeat these three over and over again until we are all dead. THAT is what's gonna happen. And it's gonna waste SOOO much taxpayer money.

I obviously don't pay taxes in ND any longer but if I did, it would be sooooo worth it!

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Lets be real darell, hockey is the only sport UND plays. Ask any random person wearing sioux gear you see in public, they will agree with me. xrotatehx

But what those people can't see is that when the Gophers and Badgers leave for the BTHC UND cannot schedule them if this petition and new law takes place. Yes there are other teams and UND sells out the Ralph with a Michigan Tech as they do a Minnesota or Wisconsin, but the excitement isn't there. Plus the Sioux name and logo cannot be used if they get past the WCHA final five (or should I say the NCHC final whatever) and into the NCAA playoffs. I love UND sports not just hockey and I don't want anything to happen to them.

TheBisonator
December 28th, 2011, 02:07 PM
But what those people can't see is that when the Gophers and Badgers leave for the BTHC UND cannot schedule them if this petition and new law takes place. Yes there are other teams and UND sells out the Ralph with a Michigan Tech as they do a Minnesota or Wisconsin, but the excitement isn't there. Plus the Sioux name and logo cannot be used if they get past the WCHA final five (or should I say the NCHC final whatever) and into the NCAA playoffs. I love UND sports not just hockey and I don't want anything to happen to them.

I think a vast majority of the jollies the UND hockey fans get for the hockey team is the fact that they play the Gophers and Badgers every year and also play teams like Michigan/Michigan State, tOSU and The "Real" UND often. I think that if the UND hockey schedule ends up being filled up with the Bemidjis and Mankatos and Alaskas and Lake Superior States you will see a LOT of poseur bandwagon fans jump off the ship.

So I think that the hockey-only fans starting these petitions are not just hurting the sports they don't care about, they are efectively shooting themselves in the foot.

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I think a vast majority of the jollies the UND hockey fans get for the hockey team is the fact that they play the Gophers and Badgers every year and also play teams like Michigan/Michigan State, tOSU and The "Real" UND often. I think that if the UND hockey schedule ends up being filled up with the Bemidjis and Mankatos and Alaskas and Lake Superior States you will see a LOT of poseur bandwagon fans jump off the ship.

So I think that the hockey-only fans starting these petitions are not just hurting the sports they don't care about, they are efectively shooting themselves in the foot.

Especially if other schools do not want to schedule UND...South Dakota State threatened to back out of our football game in 2013 because of the nickname. So even though they don't think it could happen...the idea is out there.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 28th, 2011, 02:29 PM
“Fullerton said again today that UND’s status within the Big Sky “could be problematic” if the nickname issue persists.” according to the Herald.

He won't say it publicly but I'll bet he has an enormous amount of buyers remorse on this one.

Serves him right.

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM
“Fullerton said again today that UND’s status within the Big Sky “could be problematic” if the nickname issue persists.” according to the Herald.

He won't say it publicly but I'll bet he has an enormous amount of buyers remorse on this one.

Serves him right.

Problematic because UND could be banned from hosting NCAA playoff games, plus scheduling problems too. Thats why I pray this petition goes away.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 28th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Problematic because UND could be banned from hosting NCAA playoff games, plus scheduling problems too. Thats why I pray this petition goes away.

That's why I pray the petition succeeds! xpopcornx

Vitojr130
December 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Precisely. I think that when Al Carlson (an NDSU grad and a Fargo native, mind you) devised his law to keep the nickname, he had the same intentions that NoDak 4 Ever has. I just sit back and watch the show and watch all the xslapfightxxsmashx go down.

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM

You and everyone on Bisonville...which is sad. Are we that much of a threat to UND? Does Minnesota wish Wisconsin would disappear? Would SDSU wished South Dakota would disappear? If roles were reversed a lot UND fans would not wish this on NDSU because beating them on the field and watching them whine about it is a lot more enjoyable.

Vitojr130
December 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM
You and everyone on Bisonville...which is sad. Are we that much of a threat to UND? Does Minnesota wish Wisconsin would disappear? Would SDSU wished South Dakota would disappear? If roles were reversed a lot UND fans would not wish this on NDSU because beating them on the field and watching them whine about it is a lot more enjoyable.

Agreed, but your AD refuses to schedule NDSU at NDSU's strongest sport: football. It used to be such a big rivalry, one of the oldest and strongest in the nation, yet he just took it away like that. SCHEDULE US, I DARE UND.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 28th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Nope, I just want you all to drown in your own ignorance and hubris. This is a problem entirely of UND's making that could have gone away a long time ago.

comeuppance is all I desire.

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Agreed, but your AD refuses to schedule NDSU at NDSU's strongest sport: football. It used to be such a big rivalry, one of the oldest and strongest in the nation, yet he just took it away like that. SCHEDULE US, I DARE UND.

According to Brian Faison UND was "almost done" with a deal to schedule NDSU every other year...of course that was a while ago and we don't know what year that will show up I think 2014 would be the earliest since UND's 2013 schedule is full (and full of DI teams too).

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Nope, I just want you all to drown in your own ignorance and hubris. This is a problem entirely of UND's making that could have gone away a long time ago.

comeuppance is all I desire.

I just wished everything was done as of Nov 30, 2010. The NCAA gave UND 3 years up to that date to get the 2 tribal approvals, it failed. Game over, move on to the retirement. Those petitions won't pass. They will find some legal issue or constitution issue to crush the hopes of those people.

deez_na
December 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I wish UND would have played NDSU this year, I would have loved to see that waffle stomping the Herd would have given them.

TheBisonator
December 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Serves him right.

Wait a minute - So that Heraldo article from yesterday saying that a right-wing blog found out that the threat of UND being booted out of the Big Sky was a fabrication... That was actually a lie?? Either Fullerton is telling the truth (like any normal person would asume he is) or the Heraldo is lying about the potential consequences of keping the name in order to milk bottle the pro-nickname hockey crowd. Which is it??

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Wait a minute - So that Heraldo article from yesterday saying that a right-wing blog found out that the threat of UND being booted out of the Big Sky was a fabrication... That was actually a lie?? Either Fullerton is telling the truth (like any normal person would asume he is) or the Heraldo is lying about the potential consequences of keping the name in order to milk bottle the pro-nickname hockey crowd. Which is it??

Who knows. We need Matlock to solve that one.

frozennorth
December 28th, 2011, 04:36 PM
But the implication was recruiting was going to be more difficult because of the new conference affiliation. If that was not the intent, then I'm mistaken.

UND will have two problems: for locals (mn, sd, nd, wi) they will get less media coverage and fewer travelable games for parents and family. For players in their playing region (montana, idaho, utah, etc), they are way outside of the normal media markets, even less accessible for family, and so forth. On the plus side, they get a wider recruitment zone.

frozennorth
December 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM
as the resident bitter UND grad, I get alot of schadenfreude out of the impending nickname doomsday scenario. Unfortunately, it hurts that sports that I want to be able to like (football, basketball, etc) and not the malignant festering sore that is hockey. Seeing the hockey program laid to ruins and the REA demolished would be an amazing day.

as i understand it, if the petition makes the ballot, which is very likely will, the nickname retirement is temporarily undone until the vote. My hunch is that the bsc uses it as a cause to expel UND from the big sky. I'm not sure where NDSU will stand on it, but I feel that UNO, USD, SDSU get UND into the summit, and football ends up aligned with the OVC. In other words win/win/win/win/tossup (for football)

Vitojr130
December 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM
as the resident bitter UND grad, I get alot of schadenfreude out of the impending nickname doomsday scenario. Unfortunately, it hurts that sports that I want to be able to like (football, basketball, etc) and not the malignant festering sore that is hockey. Seeing the hockey program laid to ruins and the REA demolished would be an amazing day.

as i understand it, if the petition makes the ballot, which is very likely will, the nickname retirement is temporarily undone until the vote. My hunch is that the bsc uses it as a cause to expel UND from the big sky. I'm not sure where NDSU will stand on it, but I feel that UNO, USD, SDSU get UND into the summit, and football ends up aligned with the OVC. In other words win/win/win/win/tossup (for football)
I thought you would like this.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/225128/

Front page right there.

TheBisonator
December 28th, 2011, 06:31 PM

I don't know about FB aligning with the OVC. I think they don't want any affiliate members.

I know a lot of people will not like what I am about to say, but I think in that scenario, UND should consider just dropping the sport of football. I think that as long a hockey is running the show at UND the way it is now (and I think it is more powerful and popular than ever), that the football program there will never be able to get back to the status it had before the REA was built. In the event of the BSC kicking out UND, I really think that should be an option. There is no longer any positive karma with their FB program. UND cannot get even 7,500 fans to attend a conference championship game on Senior Day against their biggest rival that they play, USD. UND FB fans are shouting from the mountaintops that they will start playing a BSC schedule and hosting the Montana schools, and THEN you will see the sellouts!! I'm sorry if I don't see it happening. The reason is that the whole place is under the hockey hypnosis. There have been quite a few FB games at the Alerus the past few seasons that UND fans have anticipated 10,000+ crowds only to find 7,000 or less in the stands in the box score. As long as hockey is king, I just feel FB will sink deeper and deeper behind. UND FB is not even a "close" #2 sport on that campus anymore, it's just barely #2 now. The Summit would be willing to welcome you with open arms is the nickname thing keeps happening leading to the BSC kicking you out, assuming you can end this nonsense shortly after that happens.

It's just my opinion. You may not like it, but it's just how I feel.

darell1976
December 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I don't know about FB aligning with the OVC. I think they don't want any affiliate members.

I know a lot of people will not like what I am about to say, but I think in that scenario, UND should consider just dropping the sport of football. I think that as long a hockey is running the show at UND the way it is now (and I think it is more powerful and popular than ever), that the football program there will never be able to get back to the status it had before the REA was built. In the event of the BSC kicking out UND, I really think that should be an option. There is no longer any positive karma with their FB program. UND cannot get even 7,500 fans to attend a conference championship game on Senior Day against their biggest rival that they play, USD. UND FB fans are shouting from the mountaintops that they will start playing a BSC schedule and hosting the Montana schools, and THEN you will see the sellouts!! I'm sorry if I don't see it happening. The reason is that the whole place is under the hockey hypnosis. There have been quite a few FB games at the Alerus the past few seasons that UND fans have anticipated 10,000+ crowds only to find 7,000 or less in the stands in the box score. As long as hockey is king, I just feel FB will sink deeper and deeper behind. UND FB is not even a "close" #2 sport on that campus anymore, it's just barely #2 now. The Summit would be willing to welcome you with open arms is the nickname thing keeps happening leading to the BSC kicking you out, assuming you can end this nonsense shortly after that happens.

It's just my opinion. You may not like it, but it's just how I feel.

A winning team also draws fans. UND had over 10,000 in their first year in the FCS against Texas A&M-Kingsville, and St. Cloud State. Coming off of a DII playoff run in 2007 expectations were high but a very rocky road in transition has caused fans to stay home and watch the games on tv. UND won't get booted out of the BSC since the Big Sky would have to majorly pay a huge fee to UND for breaking a contract. It would be very messy and UND (as in Faison and Kelley) will do what they can to avoid that (ex. transition to a new name and logo). UND won't drop football as they have been successful in that sport. 2 National title games in the last 10 years plus numerous conference titles and many NFL and CFL players. It would hurt that athletic department so much that hockey alone couldn't save it. UND is not like UNO and can just dump a sport like its nothing.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I wish UND would have played NDSU this year, I would have loved to see that waffle stomping the Herd would have given them.

Interesting!

Here's my take on this game: ( I have been to 10 Bison games this year and have watched parts of 2 UND games this year).

UND's passing game is not very efficient to say the least. The Bison defense would shut them down running making them pass.

Bison offense would be its usual self with power running and short-passes.

Being a "rival" game, UND would probably keep it close for awhile but in the end the Bison are just a better team in all 3 phases.

Bison win 42-10

frozennorth
December 29th, 2011, 12:49 AM
A winning team also draws fans. UND had over 10,000 in their first year in the FCS against Texas A&M-Kingsville, and St. Cloud State. Coming off of a DII playoff run in 2007 expectations were high but a very rocky road in transition has caused fans to stay home and watch the games on tv. UND won't get booted out of the BSC since the Big Sky would have to majorly pay a huge fee to UND for breaking a contract. It would be very messy and UND (as in Faison and Kelley) will do what they can to avoid that (ex. transition to a new name and logo). UND won't drop football as they have been successful in that sport. 2 National title games in the last 10 years plus numerous conference titles and many NFL and CFL players. It would hurt that athletic department so much that hockey alone couldn't save it. UND is not like UNO and can just dump a sport like its nothing.

football, as I understand it, is a money pit. Unfortunately, we would still have to pay money to rent the Alerus, so it's really a lose/lose. I don't think the students would really care if football got dropped. Some of the hockey 24/7 people would probably be in favor of it.

Twentysix
December 29th, 2011, 04:17 AM
football, as I understand it, is a money pit. Unfortunately, we would still have to pay money to rent the Alerus, so it's really a lose/lose. I don't think the students would really care if football got dropped. Some of the hockey 24/7 people would probably be in favor of it.

If you drop football UND can join the NHL.

http://images.zaazu.com/img/bye-bye-male-smiley-smiley-emoticon-000291-large.gif

Then the state can unite behind bison football.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 08:42 AM
If you drop football UND can join the NHL.

http://images.zaazu.com/img/bye-bye-male-smiley-smiley-emoticon-000291-large.gif

Then the state can unite behind bison football.

Wouldn't that be a sight in the Fargodome....UND fans in their green and white gear cheering for NDSU. People would think the end of the world was here.

deez_na
December 29th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Interesting!

Here's my take on this game: ( I have been to 10 Bison games this year and have watched parts of 2 UND games this year).

UND's passing game is not very efficient to say the least. The Bison defense would shut them down running making them pass.

Bison offense would be its usual self with power running and short-passes.

Being a "rival" game, UND would probably keep it close for awhile but in the end the Bison are just a better team in all 3 phases.

Bison win 42-10

That sounds about right. I went to a couple UND games this year too and i agree about their passing game. They need to improve that area big time before next season or it's gonna be a long year.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 29th, 2011, 09:08 AM
All things being equal, I think a Bison-Whatever game needs to be every year. There is no excuse to not play this game. UND was wrong to lag behind and cancel the game, especially since UND went up to DI anyway.

Quite frankly, I think the best thing that can happen to all parties is UND getting the cold shoulder from the BSC, figuring out this **** once and for all and getting into the MVFC, we look back on all this as a "dark age" in our history and move on.

As a North Dakota native, I know that we have little to hang on to but tradition and cohesion. We stick together, we need to start remembering that. I hate UND with every fiber of my being and having lived in Grand Forks, I know they feel the same way. That's how it is and has always been.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM
All things being equal, I think a Bison-Whatever game needs to be every year. There is no excuse to not play this game. UND was wrong to lag behind and cancel the game, especially since UND went up to DI anyway.

Quite frankly, I think the best thing that can happen to all parties is UND getting the cold shoulder from the BSC, figuring out this **** once and for all and getting into the MVFC, we look back on all this as a "dark age" in our history and move on.

As a North Dakota native, I know that we have little to hang on to but tradition and cohesion. We stick together, we need to start remembering that. I hate UND with every fiber of my being and having lived in Grand Forks, I know they feel the same way. That's how it is and has always been.

Gene Taylor will come up with a billion reasons not too. He will hold a grudge for UND cancelling the series as long as he is at NDSU. He may agree to every other year but not every year, and as for UND going to the MVFC...it would never happen. They don't want more teams.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 29th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Gene Taylor will come up with a billion reasons not too. He will hold a grudge for UND cancelling the series as long as he is at NDSU. He may agree to every other year but not every year, and as for UND going to the MVFC...it would never happen. They don't want more teams.

That's why there has to be a conference dynamic in play. I don't understand why SDSU and USD have so much more bleedin' wisdom than anyone in an authority position on this side of the border.

Both the Summit and MVFC would gladly welcome UND once the nickname thing is 100% final and the BSC would be glad to give them up. Once USD spurned the BSC, UND became a red-headed stepchild (no offense to the gingers out there). UND gives all the Dakota schools an easy travel partner so the MVFC would take a 12th school if pressed on it and the Summit is kind of falling apart at the seams and would gladly accept UND.

Gene Taylor, Roger Thomas, Charles Kupchella, and Joe Chapman are to blame for all this, it's about time it got fixed.

Vitojr130
December 29th, 2011, 09:45 AM
That's why there has to be a conference dynamic in play. I don't understand why SDSU and USD have so much more bleedin' wisdom than anyone in an authority position on this side of the border.

Both the Summit and MVFC would gladly welcome UND once the nickname thing is 100% final and the BSC would be glad to give them up. Once USD spurned the BSC, UND became a red-headed stepchild (no offense to the gingers out there). UND gives all the Dakota schools an easy travel partner so the MVFC would take a 12th school if pressed on it and the Summit is kind of falling apart at the seams and would gladly accept UND.

Gene Taylor, Roger Thomas, Charles Kupchella, and Joe Chapman are to blame for all this, it's about time it got fixed.

I support this statement. I have no idea why in the h*ll they chose to move to the Big Sky. It made no sense from a logistics standpoint whatsoever. I definitely would be a happy Bison if UND joined our conferences. It would mean we could hand them a yearly beat down in every sport we have AND we would not have burn an out of conference game for it!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 29th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I support this statement. I have no idea why in the h*ll they chose to move to the Big Sky. It made no sense from a logistics standpoint whatsoever. I definitely would be a happy Bison if UND joined our conferences. It would mean we could hand them a yearly beat down in every sport we have AND we would not have burn an out of conference game for it!

Well one would hope "a rising tide lifts all ships" in this case but yes, I get why UND went to the BSC. They got a very chilly reception from the Summit and, well the BSC does have some juice. I don't know why the BSC suddenly solved all their "travel concerns" they had in 2004 to admit UND and USD but now that USD has come over, there is no reason for either side to keep UND in the BSC.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Because that was the only card dealt in UND's favor. It was Big Sky or Independant you choose. Plus the nickname issue was resolved when UND joined the Big Sky(before Crazy Al's State Law bill was even a thought) and the MVFC choose USD. So even with the nickaname issue not a factor the MVFC didn't want UND. The other schools were extremely hesitant on USD, and when the thought of adding another member (UND) came up they said NO!! Its amazing how SDSU hasn't ripped USD for stopping their rivalry but NDSU blames everything on UND. Remember USD stopped playing NDSU too but I guess GT doesn't mind playing them in an OOC game(2010), but UND oh my God!!

Tatanka
December 29th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Because that was the only card dealt in UND's favor. It was Big Sky or Independant you choose. Plus the nickname issue was resolved when UND joined the Big Sky(before Crazy Al's State Law bill was even a thought) and the MVFC choose USD. So even with the nickaname issue not a factor the MVFC didn't want UND. The other schools were extremely hesitant on USD, and when the thought of adding another member (UND) came up they said NO!! Its amazing how SDSU hasn't ripped USD for stopping their rivalry but NDSU blames everything on UND. Remember USD stopped playing NDSU too but I guess GT doesn't mind playing them in an OOC game(2010), but UND oh my God!!

Did USD stop the rivalry and turn down a four year home-and-home arrangement via press conference?

Vitojr130
December 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM

There wasn't a 100+ year old rivalry developed with USD. To throw all the tradition down the toilet is what upsets Bison fans. That, and the glory that we get when NDSU kicks UND's butt at football.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM
There wasn't a 100+ year old rivalry developed with USD. To throw all the tradition down the toilet is what upsets Bison fans. That, and the glory that we get when NDSU kicks UND's butt at football.

Just every year since 1927 so thats what 76 years from 1927-2003.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Did USD stop the rivalry and turn down a four year home-and-home arrangement via press conference?

I don't know. What was USD's reason for stopping play against NDSU?

Vitojr130
December 29th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Just every year since 1927 so thats what 76 years from 1927-2003.

They also weren't our biggest rivals.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 29th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I don't know. What was USD's reason for stopping play against NDSU?

The same as any other team in the NCC, no compelling reason to play them without a conference. This isn't rocket science. Only SDSU/USD and NDSU/UND have a real reason to play each other whether in a conference or not. Like I said, at least they have some brains and balls south of the border.

Lets just put it this way. UND and NDSU will never have a bigger rival than each other.

I still keep hoping Lakes tries to jump in and smear his feces all over the place.

Vitojr130
December 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM
The same as any other team in the NCC, no compelling reason to play them without a conference. This isn't rocket science. Only SDSU/USD and NDSU/UND have a real reason to play each other whether in a conference or not. Like I said, at least they have some brains and balls south of the border.

Lets just put it this way. UND and NDSU will never have a bigger rival than each other.

I still keep hoping Lakes tries to jump in and smear his feces all over the place.

Maybe we should try baiting for him ---> "The Bison suck and the Whoiux will always win against the Bison!!!" Do you think this will work?

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Maybe we should try baiting for him ---> "The Bison suck and the Whoiux will always win against the Bison!!!" Do you think this will work?

Isn't he in Puerto Rico or something...he will pop up shortly or at least before next Saturday's game.

johnson
December 29th, 2011, 01:16 PM

I agree that the BSC was the only one offering membership for football but UND didn't wait over the weekend after the Big Sky made their offer to hear what the Summit had to say the following monday. It was obvious the Summit had something they wanted to say when they moved up the visit. It did appear that the MVFC wasn't going to expand to allow UND. They found a way to get USD in and I wouldn't be surprised if something would have eventually worked out that may have been discussed if UND hadn't cancelled the Summit visit. The BSC may have still been the most attractive offer for UND but I feel they should have at least listened to what they had to say before they made their final choice.

Gene Taylor wrote up a 2 for 1 contract that was originally intended for UND. Faison was pulling his hair out trying to fill his OOC schedule and it wasn't considered. That offer was then sent down to USD which was accepted. You may also remember the every other year offer that came a year or two after that and was again denied by UND because of scheduling problems. Now that UND is in a conference and Faison doesn't have to find an impossible number of OOC games I am told that the every other year deal may eventually be used.

NDSU/UND has been an uglier separation than the SDSU/USD fall out because of how the two groups handled the move. Not only did UND go on an all out media smear campaign against NDSU but they also tried pulling some strings within the ND legislature trying to block NDSU's move up to DI. Ask a legislator that was there when NDSU was in the process of getting everything in order to make the move up. Nothing happened but they were definitely trying. Top that off with a rivalry that has historically been more intense than that of our counterparts to the south and put that all together with the near decade now of shots back and forth at each other and you end up with all of us still bickering and smack talking about each others athletic programs.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I agree that the BSC was the only one offering membership for football but UND didn't wait over the weekend after the Big Sky made their offer to hear what the Summit had to say the following monday. It was obvious the Summit had something they wanted to say when they moved up the visit. It did appear that the MVFC wasn't going to expand to allow UND. They found a way to get USD in and I wouldn't be surprised if something would have eventually worked out that may have been discussed if UND hadn't cancelled the Summit visit. The BSC may have still been the most attractive offer for UND but I feel they should have at least listened to what they had to say before they made their final choice.

Gene Taylor wrote up a 2 for 1 contract that was originally intended for UND. Faison was pulling his hair out trying to fill his OOC schedule and it wasn't considered. That offer was then sent down to USD which was accepted. You may also remember the every other year offer that came a year or two after that and was again denied by UND because of scheduling problems. Now that UND is in a conference and Faison doesn't have to find an impossible number of OOC games I am told that the every other year deal may eventually be used.

NDSU/UND has been an uglier separation than the SDSU/USD fall out because of how the two groups handled the move. Not only did UND go on an all out media smear campaign against NDSU but they also tried pulling some strings within the ND legislature trying to block NDSU's move up to DI. Ask a legislator that was there when NDSU was in the process of getting everything in order to make the move up. Nothing happened but they were definitely trying. Top that off with a rivalry that has historically been more intense than that of our counterparts to the south and put that all together with the near decade now of shots back and forth at each other and you end up with all of us still bickering and smack talking about each others athletic programs.

And NDSU tried to get back at UND by agreeing that the Summit teams should not schedule UND due to their nickname. Of course UMKC was the first team to schedule UND after the Summit came out with their request. If UND would have waited on the BSC just to see what the Summit had to offer UND would 99.999% be looking for a conference in 2012 while the rest of the teams would be in the Summit. Football would be dead. The Big Sky by offering a full membership was the best offer, as for USD the BSC wanted a full membership which meant USD would have to pay the Summit a fee for backing out of their league so they were in a different boat.

johnson
December 29th, 2011, 02:05 PM
And NDSU tried to get back at UND by agreeing that the Summit teams should not schedule UND due to their nickname. Of course UMKC was the first team to schedule UND after the Summit came out with their request. If UND would have waited on the BSC just to see what the Summit had to offer UND would 99.999% be looking for a conference in 2012 while the rest of the teams would be in the Summit. Football would be dead. The Big Sky by offering a full membership was the best offer, as for USD the BSC wanted a full membership which meant USD would have to pay the Summit a fee for backing out of their league so they were in a different boat.

I believe they said "use caution" not "don't schedule" when talking about scheduling UND. NDSU stayed away like many others did as well. I could see why they felt that way when other schools were taking heat for using the Fighting Sioux logo in ways that were insensitive to UND's nickname issue. Perfect example of that was the screw up at Texas Tech and their drawing of the Native American running away from the Red Raiders. I don't doubt some of the non scheduling had to do with getting back at UND but you have to admit they tried to knock NDSU to its knees during thier move up.

The Big Sky wasn't going anywhere over the weekend and I'm sure the offer from them would've still been there come the following Monday after the Summit visit. That's why I said in my previous post that the BSC offer may have still been the best offer for UND but they didn't wait a few days to cover all options. UND's name was being retired at the time and the Summit wanted to talk.

The million dollar exit fee for USD wasn't what changed their minds. A million dollars would be a drop in a bucket compared to what USD would have to pay for travel in the BSC. The last figure I heard for a FB team to fly to a game and spend the night is between $60,000-$70,000. How fast do you think that would add up to $1 million? Now that they are in the MVFC NDSU, SDSU and UNI are day trips by bus. USD doesn't have the budget UND has and if they were to spend that kind of money annually on travel they would most certainly have to cut expenses from somewhere else. Who or where do you cut from so they could cover travel costs? If they did have to start making cuts how competitive would they still be? There was much more involved in USD's decision than just a $1 million exit fee from the Summit.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I believe they said "use caution" not "don't schedule" when talking about scheduling UND. NDSU stayed away like many others did as well. I could see why they felt that way when other schools were taking heat for using the Fighting Sioux logo in ways that were unsensitive to UND's nickname issue. Perfect example of that was the screw up at Texas Tech and their drawing of the Native American running away from the Red Raiders. I don't doubt some of the non scheduling had to do with getting back at UND but you have to admit they tried to knock NDSU to its knees during thier move up.

The Big Sky wasn't going anywhere over the weekend and I'm sure the offer from them would've still been there come the following Monday after the Summit visit. That's why I said in my previous post that the BSC offer may have still been the best offer for UND but they didn't wait a few days to cover all options. UND's name was being retired at the time and the Summit wanted to talk.

The million dollar exit fee for USD wasn't what changed their minds. A million dollars would be a drop in a bucket compared to what USD would have to pay for travel in the BSC. The last figure I heard for a FB team to fly to a game and spend the night is between $60,000-$70,000. How fast do you think that would add up to $1 million? Now that they are in the MVFC NDSU, SDSU and UNI are day trips by bus. USD doesn't have the budget UND has and if they were to spend that kind of money annually on travel they would most certainly have to cut expenses from somewhere else. Who or where do you cut from so they could cover travel costs? If they did have to start making cuts how competitive would they still be? There was much more involved in USD's decision than just a $1 million exit fee from the Summit.
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2011/01/27/und-denies-pressuring-summit-league-to-t?blog=2

While UND officially applied for membership in May of 2009, school officials said there was an indication in January of that year that the Summit had issues with UND’s nickname and logo.
Faison said while UND and North Dakota State were trying to negotiate the renewal of the Sioux-Bison football rivalry, Douple came out and said he didn’t think it was a good idea for any of the Summit schools to schedule UND until the school gets the nickname issue resolved.

UND played Men's bball against UMKC, and IPFW in 2009 the women played Wisconsin in 2009 women's bball who bans teams on the H&A list after Douple's statement. Plus UND played SDSU in football in 2010 again after Douple's statement. I guess SUU had no choice since they are both in the GWFC and Summit League. How would it look to have the Summit waste its time to come up to GF then that Monday UND says...we are going Big Sky because we have a football team and your league cannot get us into a conference. A million is NOT a drop in the bucket for USD its a big deal for them, if it wasn't for the MVFC USD would be Big Sky bound look at Southern Utah they jumped at the chance at getting a full ride to the Big Sky just like UND. Some backdoor deal was made to get USD in maybe its to keep them in the Summit and stop the revolving door of that conference.

Vitojr130
December 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Oh you can't cite championshipsubdivision as a source. I can't open it up to see if the proper link is embedded on that site, work policies and all.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Oh you can't cite championshipsubdivision as a source. I can't open it up to see if the proper link is embedded on that site, work policies and all.

Its the only source on Google I found with a quote and date when Douple didn't want teams to schedule UND. But thats water under the bridge. I hope UND and NDSU can meet on the field in the near future. Of course if UND can get into the playoffs next season that would be the next time they would meet. Better than nothing, and think of the publicity.

Vitojr130
December 29th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Its the only source on Google I found with a quote and date when Douple didn't want teams to schedule UND. But thats water under the bridge. I hope UND and NDSU can meet on the field in the near future. Of course if UND can get into the playoffs next season that would be the next time they would meet. Better than nothing, and think of the publicity.

No kidding. It would fill up the Fargodome and then some. Easily.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 02:54 PM
No kidding. It would fill up the Fargodome and then some. Easily.

It would pack the Metrodome.

johnson
December 29th, 2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2011/01/27/und-denies-pressuring-summit-league-to-t?blog=2

UND played Men's bball against UMKC, and IPFW in 2009 the women played Wisconsin in 2009 women's bball who bans teams on the H&A list after Douple's statement. Plus UND played SDSU in football in 2010 again after Douple's statement. I guess SUU had no choice since they are both in the GWFC and Summit League. How would it look to have the Summit waste its time to come up to GF then that Monday UND says...we are going Big Sky because we have a football team and your league cannot get us into a conference. A million is NOT a drop in the bucket for USD its a big deal for them, if it wasn't for the MVFC USD would be Big Sky bound look at Southern Utah they jumped at the chance at getting a full ride to the Big Sky just like UND. Some backdoor deal was made to get USD in maybe its to keep them in the Summit and stop the revolving door of that conference.

Exactly, Summit teams still scheduled UND because it wasn't a rule handed down to Summit members because it wasn't a don't schedule them at all kind of issue. Wisconsin already had UND on the schedule and since then they have even stated they won't play UND if they still are on the NCAA list when their hockey team leaves the WCHA. SDSU is in the MVFC not the Summit for football. The MVFC didn't issue a statement like the Summit had.

The Summit wouldn't have been wasting their time. Its called business take in the presentations and ask questions and if their offer isn't as attractive as anothers you say thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't take one proposal and sign on knowing another business is on the schedule looking at making an offer.

$1 million isn't a drop in a bucket for USD that is why I stated that their budget isn't as large as UND's. I was trying to show you that the $1 million exit fee wasn't the game changer. It was a combo of exit fee, travel costs and a offer from the MVFC which saves them big $$$ in the long run. $1 million would be a drop in a bucket if they chose the BSC and spent what they would on travel for all of their athletic programs. All of their programs would have to fly to games minus UND in the BSC which would surpass that $1 million figure in a big hurry. If the Board of Regents in SD felt as though the BSC would've been a better fit financially the $1 million would've been paid and USD would be going to the BSC with UND.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Exactly, Summit teams still scheduled UND because it wasn't a rule handed down to Summit members because it wasn't a don't schedule them at all kind of issue. Wisconsin already had UND on the schedule and since then they have even stated they won't play UND if they still are on the NCAA list when their hockey team leaves the WCHA. SDSU is in the MVFC not the Summit for football. The MVFC didn't issue a statement like the Summit had.

The Summit wouldn't have been wasting their time. Its called business take in the presentations and ask questions and if their offer isn't as attractive as anothers you say thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't take one proposal and sign on knowing another business is on the schedule looking at making an offer.

$1 million isn't a drop in a bucket for USD that is why I stated that their budget isn't as large as UND's. I was trying to show you that the $1 million exit fee wasn't the game changer. It was a combo of exit fee, travel costs and a offer from the MVFC which saves them big $$$ in the long run. $1 million would be a drop in a bucket if they chose the BSC and spent what they would on travel for all of their athletic programs. All of their programs would have to fly to games minus UND in the BSC which would surpass that $1 million figure in a big hurry. If the Board of Regents in SD felt as though the BSC would've been a better fit financially the $1 million would've been paid and USD would be going to the BSC with UND.

That won't be a problem Wisconsin isn't leaving the WCHA until 2013 and UND comes off of the H&A list Saturday.

johnson
December 29th, 2011, 03:44 PM
That won't be a problem Wisconsin isn't leaving the WCHA until 2013 and UND comes off of the H&A list Saturday.

Lets hope so. If this issue makes the ballot things might take a swift turn again. Last time it was Al Carlson who screwed things up and now it appears that Scott Hennen and his flunky Rob Port who are trying to get the nickname forced on UND by putting it on November's ballot. Who knows what will happen if it does make the ballot. You have a lot of people in the state that don't follow the issue close enough to know what could happen, some who want to save the name at all costs no matter the consequences and some who would vote for it in spite of UND. That could turn out to be a very big mess. If I were you I would be making sure that petition doesn't get enough signatures.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Lets hope so. If this issue makes the ballot things might take a swift turn again. Last time it was Al Carlson who screwed things up and now it appears that Scott Hennen and his flunky Rob Port who are trying to get the nickname forced on UND by putting it on November's ballot. Who knows what will happen if it does make the ballot. You have a lot of people in the state that don't follow the issue close enough to know what could happen, some who want to save the name at all costs no matter the consequences and some who would vote for it in spite of UND. That could turn out to be a very big mess. If I were you I would be making sure that petition doesn't get enough signatures.

You have UND hockey only fans vs the UND athletics fans (I am part of them). UND hockey only fans care only about hockey and the REA. Where the others care about UND athletics as a whole. If this thing does get through (I pray to God it doesn't) it could kill UND, but some are too stupid to see that.

LakesBison
December 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM
where does it say they come off H & A list.

darell1976
December 29th, 2011, 06:58 PM
UND's nickname and logo retirement becomes offical on December 31, 2011. No Indian name and logo no H&A list.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 02:12 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/345760/

Organizations

The Fighting Sioux Club, the official fundraising arm for UND Athletics, has been renamed the North Dakota Champions Club.

Sioux Crew, which promotes student involvement and attendance at UND Athletics events, has been renamed NoDak Nation.

The Sioux Boosters club has been renamed the UND Boosters, and the weekly fan luncheons have been renamed the UND Fan Luncheon.

The Sioux Kids Club will retain its name for the duration of the 2011-12 season due to contractual obligations with sponsors.

The Sioux-Per Swing golf tournaments have been renamed the North Dakota Champions Golf Tour.

The Sioux-Per Gala has been renamed A Night of Champions: UND Athletics Auction and Gala.

Media

The Fighting Sioux Sports Network (television) has been renamed the UND Sports Network, and the Fighting Sioux Radio Network has been renamed the UND Radio Network.

UND’s weekly television show, Sioux Sports Extra, has been renamed UND Sports Extra, while the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches Show (radio) has been renamed the UND Coaches Show.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 02:21 PM
UND's nickname and logo retirement becomes offical on December 31, 2011. No Indian name and logo no H&A list.

And where does it say the latter? It's not in the settlement. According to that UND needs to have a new nickname in place. Current state law keeps you on the list until 2015.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 02:25 PM
And where does it say the latter? It's not in the settlement. According to that UND needs to have a new nickname in place. Current state law keeps you on the list until 2015.

The NCAA was aware of this cooling off period, and has not objected to this according to President Kelley. UND cannot have a nickname deemed H&A. They don't, and because of the state law that threw a wrench in that timetable for a replacement. I don't think the NCAA will argue that UND has no nickname for the next 3 years. The NCAA will be in Grand Forks next month to discuss the logos at the REA, and see for themselves if most have to go or if they can all be spared. Stay tuned for the chapter.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 02:33 PM
The NCAA was aware of this cooling off period, and has not objected to this according to President Kelley. UND cannot have a nickname deemed H&A. They don't, and because of the state law that threw a wrench in that timetable for a replacement. I don't think the NCAA will argue that UND has no nickname for the next 3 years. The NCAA will be in Grand Forks next month to discuss the logos at the REA, and see for themselves if most have to go or if they can all be spared. Stay tuned for the chapter.

reference please.

i've seen nothing to this extent.

why would the ncaa make a public statement about a proposed state policy --- here's a hint they didn't. just as court's don't give rulings on laws that aren't yet in affect.

UND's administration has been working hard to deal with this, unfortunately there are a lot of DUMBASS Fighting Sioux fans (not UND fans) that may mess this up still.

the three year cooling off period is a joke and an opportunity to stall with the slim hope that name can be saved. they could have started that years ago and put a nickname in place by now.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 02:46 PM
reference please.

i've seen nothing to this extent.

why would the ncaa make a public statement about a proposed state policy --- here's a hint they didn't. just as court's don't give rulings on laws that aren't yet in affect.

UND's administration has been working hard to deal with this, unfortunately there are a lot of DUMBASS Fighting Sioux fans (not UND fans) that may mess this up still.

the three year cooling off period is a joke and an opportunity to stall with the slim hope that name can be saved. they could have started that years ago and put a nickname in place by now.
http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/11277/

Kelley says the name and logo will be substantially retired by December 31, but there are contractual commitments and licensing contracts that will require some logo use through the end of the school year.

Per NCAA settlement UND must retire the name Fighting Sioux and logo to come off of the H&A list. They did, thats it. If the NCAA had a problem with the cooling off period wouldn't a statement be made since the repeal of the state law Nov. 9th? Boy you love to stir things up.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 04:25 PM
your quote refers to what UND is doing, it says nothing about the NCAA.

the settlement states that UND needs to have a nickname in place by 8/15/2011 or be on the list.

they are on the list/ why would the NCAA take them off - especially as we know there won't be a new nickname for at least three years.

the NCAA doesn't need to be nice to UND or do them any favors. while the administration has been very cooperative - many others have not.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 04:27 PM
your quote refers to what UND is doing, it says nothing about the NCAA.

the settlement states that needs to have a nickname in place by 8/15/2011 or be on the list.

they are on the list.

Since your buddy Al created a State Law Bill, things changed. The NCAA has no problem with what is going on, or else the Fargo Forum would be running article after article.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 04:31 PM
The state law changed nothing. It has no impact on the settlement or the NCAA.

Again, you are asserting that the NCAA has no problem with this -- show me some proof.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 04:33 PM
The state law changed nothing. It has no impact on the settlement or the NCAA.

Again, you are asserting that the NCAA has no problem with this -- show me some proof.

Show me proof the NCAA doesn't like the cooling off period or the current transition that is going on at UND.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 04:38 PM
You're the person who started with the assertion that UND is off the list. I've seen that NO WHERE. Please provide evidence to back up your statement.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 04:40 PM
You're the person who started with the assertion that UND is off the list. I've seen that NO WHERE. Please provide evidence to back up your statement.

How about Kelley saying that UND is in compliance with the NCAA with the repeal of the state law. You are the one coming up with this nitpicking date. That settlement can be modified and I don't think the NCAA is going to ***** about it. They got what they want another school dropping a NA name.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 04:43 PM
sounds good.

please provide a quote from Kelly that states that.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 04:47 PM
sounds good.

please provide a quote from Kelly that states that.
http://www.nativetimes.com/sports/mainstream/6366-law-signed-letting-und-drop-fighting-sioux-name

Robert Kelley, the university's president, praised the law's approval Wednesday, saying the move would lift the NCAA sanctions and ensure that UND may join the Big Sky Conference.

Gothmog
December 31st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Show me proof the NCAA doesn't like the cooling off period or the current transition that is going on at UND.

Here is part of section 2(d) of UND's agreement with the NCAA:

"If UND does not adopt a new nickname and logo, or if the transition to a new nickname and logo is not complete prior to August 15, 2011, then UND will returned to the list of institutions subject to the Policy..."

Seem's pretty straightforward to me. August 15th has passed and UND has not completed, or even started, its transition to a new nickname and logo. I'd say that they are, according to the agreement, subject to "the Policy". Whether the NCAA holds them to it is another matter.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Here is part of section 2(d) of UND's agreement with the NCAA:

"If UND does not adopt a new nickname and logo, or if the transition to a new nickname and logo is not complete prior to August 15, 2011, then UND will returned to the list of institutions subject to the Policy..."

Seem's pretty straightforward to me. August 15th has passed and UND has not completed, or even started, its transition to a new nickname and logo. I'd say that they are, according to the agreement, subject to "the Policy". Whether the NCAA holds them to it is another matter.

Call the Forum I am sure they would love another Sioux nickname/logo story.

I also emailed Robert Kelley to clarify that UND is off of the list. I will post his response when I receive it.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 05:00 PM
That article makes no sense.

It states the repeal of the law would result in the NCAA lifting sanctions - that's bogus. If that were true, UND would have been off the list immediately - yet it has had to take a number of additional actions to move towards compliance.

A more appropriate quote is "The repeal will allow the university to meet the terms of the NCAA settlement and pursue Big Sky Conference membership in good standing, University President Robert Kelley said in a statement."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/09/us-northdakota-sioux-idUSTRE7A881P20111109

UND violated the settlement. It's on the list. It's working to get off. I don't see why for a second the NCAA would allow UND to get by with less than what was written in the settlement given the amount of b.s. they've had to go through on this.

I think we can agree that the reason that stipulation was included in the settlement is because 'no nickname' allows fans to continue to use 'Fighting Sioux' by choice and the media and the athletic department itself by accident. Heck, today ESPNU referred to UND by that moniker even though they had been asked specifically not to.

If the NCAA decides that a new nickname needs to be in place as was part of the original settlement, UND will have to wait three years. It's the NCAA's prerogative.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 05:53 PM
Here's the official statement: http://und.edu/president/statements/nickname-11-10-11.cfm

Again your article misstates the situation. There are two parts. 1 - the state repealing the law. 2 - UND meeting the terms of the settlement.

If the NCAA sticks to the terms of the settlement - which it isn't required to do, state law will prohibit UND from adding a nickname and being removed from the list until 2015 at the earliest.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:00 PM
Here's the official statement: http://und.edu/president/statements/nickname-11-10-11.cfm

Again your article misstates the situation. There are two parts. 1 - the state repealing the law. 2 - UND meeting the terms of the settlement.

If the NCAA sticks to the terms of the settlement - which it isn't required to do, state law will prohibit UND from adding a nickname and being removed from the list until 2015 at the earliest.

If the NCAA stuck to everything they said they would. Utah, Central Michigan, and Florida State would have all new nicknames and logos.

DJKyR0
December 31st, 2011, 06:07 PM
The fact that there's such conflict on whether or not UND is on the list goes to show how badly this has been mishandled since Day One.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:12 PM
The fact that there's such conflict on whether or not UND is on the list goes to show how badly this has been mishandled since Day One.

And if Al "NDSU lover" Carlson would have kept out of UND's nickname problem..UND could have very well have had a new name and logo by Aug of 2011.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 06:15 PM
horse****.

1. Al Carlson is no friend of NDSU. Quit with that.

2. UND was nowhere near on schedule to have a nickname in place by August when Carlson and friends brought up the law in early 2011.

Gothmog
December 31st, 2011, 06:17 PM

And no less than the future of UND athletics is on the line...

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM
horse****.

1. Al Carlson is no friend of NDSU. Quit with that.

2. UND was nowhere near on schedule to have a nickname in place by August when Carlson and friends brought up the law in early 2011.

Horse***** to that post.

1. Al Carlson, Fargo resident and NDSU alumn and fan
2. UND was prepared to retire the name early(per the SBoHE) and then was already starting to transition away from the Fighting Sioux name. They created a staff of people to start it and was underway even when the official deadline of Nov 30, 2010 came up. UND was joining the BSC because the deadline passed and UND would have had almost a full year to come up with a new name before Al "NDSU" Carlson stepped in and ruined everything.

Gothmog
December 31st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Horse***** to that post.

2. UND was prepared to retire the name early(per the SBoHE) and then was already starting to transition away from the Fighting Sioux name. They created a staff of people to start it and was underway even when the official deadline of Nov 30, 2010 came up. UND was joining the BSC because the deadline passed and UND would have had almost a full year to come up with a new name before Al "NDSU" Carlson stepped in and ruined everything.

You give Al a bit too much credit. UND supporters were more than willing to jump on board.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 06:29 PM
you're still ignoring the NEW NICKNAME ISSUE.

UND was NO WHERE NEAR ON SCHEDULE to have new nickname in August when news of the legislation came up in January (that's seven months, not a year).

UND would struggle to have a new nickname by 2015 in a magical world where petitions and lawsuits don't screw things up further.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:30 PM
You give Al a bit too much credit. UND supporters were more than willing to jump on board.

Because it gave hope..but it was too good to be true.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 06:31 PM
No NDSU lover would be caught dead with this t-shirt in their vicinity.

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2011/08/15/20110815_fighting-sioux-debate_39.jpg

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:32 PM
you're still ignoring the NEW NICKNAME ISSUE.

UND was NO WHERE NEAR ON SCHEDULE to have new nickname in August when news of the legislation came up in January (that's seven months, not a year).

UND would struggle to have a new nickname by 2015 in a magical world where petitions and lawsuits don't screw things up further.

What timetable are you on. UND retired the name in mid 2010 per the SBoHE(before the NCAA deadline of Nov 30, 2010) so from at least Dec 1st to Aug 15th thats 9 1/2 months from the NCAA deadline but your buddy Al f*d that up.

DJKyR0
December 31st, 2011, 06:32 PM
Horse***** to that post.

If he was an NDSU fan he'd have fought just as vehemently for equal funding for NDSU as he did for UND's precious nickname. Think before you post.

Where's all this vehemence for Hakstol? He was just as vocal about throwing the rest of the athletic department under the bus for the sake of his sport and doubtless spurred the hockey-only crowd into backing the nickname no matter what. Or does that not count because he's connected to hockey?

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:33 PM
No NDSU lover would be caught dead with this t-shirt in their vicinity.

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2011/08/15/20110815_fighting-sioux-debate_39.jpg

No UND lover would jeapordize UND athletics to save a name and logo. Especially when its from UND's rival.

DJKyR0
December 31st, 2011, 06:35 PM
No UND lover would jeapordize UND athletics to save a name and logo.

Hakstol and Roebuck did with their feverish endorsement of the nickname.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:35 PM
If he was an NDSU fan he'd have fought just as vehemently for equal funding for NDSU as he did for UND's precious nickname. Think before you post.

Where's all this vehemence for Hakstol? He was just as vocal about throwing the rest of the athletic department under the bus for the sake of his sport and doubtless spurred the hockey-only crowd into backing the nickname no matter what. Or does that not count because he's connected to hockey?

UND fans are split on the name issue. One hand is the hockey only crowd (Hak) who would dump everything to save hockey. The other UND fans are fans of the other sports at UND (including myself). Who would dump the name/logo if it meant saving football, basketball, etc. Which it would because without NCAA approval football would be in Indy land, and the rest would be back in the GWC.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 06:37 PM
What timetable are you on. UND retired the name in mid 2010 per the SBoHE(before the NCAA deadline of Nov 30, 2010) so from at least Dec 1st to Aug 15th thats 9 1/2 months from the NCAA deadline but your buddy Al f*d that up.

1. UND retires the nickname tonight.

2. Al brought up the legislation in January at which time UND has said boo about what a new nickname would be. UND was not going to decide upon and transition to a new nickname in 7 months.

3. Again, this buddy Al does nothing to help your case. Name one thing he's done to prove this love. He supported the nickname bill because he's a Fighting Sioux fanatic and a dumbass, but I repeat myself.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hakstol and Roebuck did with their feverish endorsement of the nickname.

Until the NCAA told them and the rest at UND that they don't care about State laws. I think Roebuck would agree to dump the logo so his team can stay in the Big Sky.

DJKyR0
December 31st, 2011, 06:38 PM
UND fans are split on the name issue. One hand is the hockey only crowd (Hak) who would dump everything to save hockey. The other UND fans are fans of the other sports at UND (including myself). Who would dump the name/logo if it meant saving football, basketball, etc. Which it would because without NCAA approval football would be in Indy land, and the rest would be back in the GWC.

Now that you've stated that which we already know, answer the question - where's the ire for those UND staffers that endorsed the nickname and put their passion for the nickname ahead of the institution they serve? Why do you throw Carlson under the bus so quickly but work so hard to defend Hakstol?

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 06:39 PM
No UND lover would jeapordize UND athletics to save a name and logo. Especially when its from UND's rival.

I've never used that term, but it fits better than calling him a NDSU lover.

DJKyR0
December 31st, 2011, 06:39 PM
Until the NCAA told them and the rest at UND that they don't care about State laws. I think Roebuck would agree to dump the logo so his team can stay in the Big Sky.

So Kelley and the rest of UND knew the risks of the law (that it likely wouldn't mean dick to the NCAA) but Hakstol didn't? Even a hockey coach isn't that thick.

If you don't think he knew what he was doing in throwing the rest of the athletic department under the bus, think again. He knows that hockey is the lifeblood of UND and knows the weight he can swing with that status. He swung it, and no one seems to care.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:42 PM
1. UND retires the nickname tonight.

2. Al brought up the legislation in January at which time UND has said boo about what a new nickname would be. UND was not going to decide upon and transition to a new nickname in 7 months.

3. Again, this buddy Al does nothing to help your case. Name one thing he's done to prove this love. He supported the nickname bill because he's a Fighting Sioux fanatic and a dumbass, but I repeat myself.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/62-2011/house/representatives/bios/acarlson.html

Wahpeton High School; NDSCS, Secondary Education, NDSU
2548 Rose Creek Parkway South, Fargo, ND 58104-6699

Bison fan and Fargo district rep.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:45 PM
So Kelley and the rest of UND knew the risks of the law (that it likely wouldn't mean dick to the NCAA) but Hakstol didn't? Even a hockey coach isn't that thick.

If you don't think he knew what he was doing in throwing the rest of the athletic department under the bus, think again. He knows that hockey is the lifeblood of UND and knows the weight he can swing with that status. He swung it, and no one seems to care.

Hak cares about 2 things 1. name/logo 2. hockey. He could care less if UND is trying schedule 11 games for football because they have no conference. Whatever gets people in the REA is all he cares about.

DJKyR0
December 31st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Hak cares about 2 things 1. name/logo 2. hockey. He could care less if UND is trying schedule 11 games for football because they have no conference. Whatever gets people in the REA is all he cares about.

And you don't see a problem with him throwing the rest of UND athletics under the bus?

And for the record, we understand Al Carlson is an NDSU alumnus. That in itself does not make him a Bison fan - it makes him an NDSU alumnus. His actions recently have spoken volumes more about his allegiances than a degree that's decades old. Come up with a new angle to defend your hockey coach.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 06:52 PM
And you don't see a problem with him throwing the rest of UND athletics under the bus?

And for the record, we understand Al Carlson is an NDSU alumnus. That in itself does not make him a Bison fan - it makes him an NDSU alumnus. His actions recently have spoken volumes more about his allegiances than a degree that's decades old. Come up with a new angle to defend your hockey coach.

Of course I do. I have more of a problem with a guy from Fargo who attended NDSU sticking his nose into something that has to do with UND. It would be the same as Mac Schneider telling NDSU I am making it law that you have to change your name back to the Aggies. Wouldn't you be pissed?

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Mac wouldn't do that. He has a brain.

You actually subscribe to a conspiracy theory that involves Carlson introducing legislation to harm UND because he lives in Fargo and went to NDSU?

Child please.

DJKyR0
December 31st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Of course I do. I have more of a problem with a guy from Fargo who attended NDSU sticking his nose into something that has to do with UND. It would be the same as Mac Schneider telling GT I am making it law that NDSU has to change their name back to the Aggies. Wouldn't you be pissed?

Sure I would. But to assert that it's a move on behalf of UND or a UND fan first is retarded - but then, in the case of UND trying to stop NDSU's progress, it would actually be accurate (to within a few years ago - see UND trying to block NDSU's move to D-I, or to prevent changing the name to Bison in the 50's).

Just because your school tried to mess with us, don't assume we'd stoop to the same low. I can't emphasize enough of how Al Carlson is not a Bison fan. He is a politician first and only.

And wait, don't you live in Fargo? Does that make you less of a UND fan?

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 07:00 PM
Sure I would. But to assert that it's a move on behalf of UND or a UND fan first is retarded - but then, in the case of UND trying to stop NDSU's progress, it would actually be accurate (to within a few years ago - see UND trying to block NDSU's move to D-I, or to prevent changing the name to Bison in the 50's).

Just because your school tried to mess with us, don't assume we'd stoop to the same low. I can't emphasize enough of how Al Carlson is not a Bison fan. He is a politician first and only.

In your opinion as a Bison fan....what was Carlson's motive to make a state law preventing UND (and the SBoHE) to change UND's name and logo.

NDB
December 31st, 2011, 07:03 PM
My response - which is the correct one - is that Al Carlson introduced the legislation for two reasons.

First, to build his political base in anticipation of a run for the U.S. House in 2012.

Second, to undermine the SBoHE.

He failed on the first one, hit a triple on the second.

(I also think that some friends encouraged him to do it)

DJKyR0
December 31st, 2011, 07:08 PM
In your opinion as a Bison fan....what was Carlson's motive to make a state law preventing UND (and the SBoHE) to change UND's name and logo.

As a North Dakota citizen (the institution I support is irrelevant in this case), Carlson wanted to do one of two things:

1.) Genuinely wanted to save the nickname. Considering how much Sioux fans boast that the entire state is behind their fight to save the moniker, it shouldn't be surprising that the House majority leader would pursue an end like this.

2.) Accrue political favor. Even if the motion fails, he's still seen as the guy willing to go to battle against the big bad evil NCAA for the sake of North Dakota's roots. He gets votes and can make a legitimate bid at a higher office. Not out of the question for someone who's a career politician.

In those two scenarios, where does hypothetically being a fan of NDSU fit in? Would anyone seriously take a sports rivalry to the extreme of funneling millions of state dollars (that could have been appropriated to, I don't know, a higher-profile athletic building at NDSU or to fix a god damn collapsed building on NDSU's campus) into a useless fight?

Give NDSU a little more credit than that as an insitution. Carlson has screwed NDSU over as badly as he has UND and is an enemy of higher education in North Dakota with his lack of direction on equitable funding across the state. NDSU students have had to live in hotels while he champions the nickname issue - do you really think a true fan of NDSU (or god forbid, just their sports teams) would be so blind and stupid as to let that happen in the face of a vendetta he, in all likelihood, doesn't have?

Grow a brain.

(EDIT: Add NDB's "undermine the SBOHE" to the list - still doesn't jive)

frozennorth
December 31st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Al Carlson is like ndsu's equivalent of me, only x1000, and in the state government. And dumb as rocks. Tons of UND alumni and students are more than willing to throw the rest of the school under the bus so the hockey team can still be the Sioux.

Hakstol needs to be canned.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 07:14 PM
As a North Dakota citizen (the institution I support is irrelevant in this case), Carlson wanted to do one of two things:

1.) Genuinely wanted to save the nickname. Considering how much Sioux fans boast that the entire state is behind their fight to save the moniker, it shouldn't be surprising that the House majority leader would pursue an end like this.

2.) Accrue political favor. Even if the motion fails, he's still seen as the guy willing to go to battle against the big bad evil NCAA for the sake of North Dakota's roots. He gets votes and can make a legitimate bid at a higher office. Not out of the question for someone who's a career politician.

In those two scenarios, where does hypothetically being a fan of NDSU fit in? Would anyone seriously take a sports rivalry to the extreme of funneling millions of state dollars (that could have been appropriated to, I don't know, a higher-profile athletic building at NDSU or to fix a god damn collapsed building on NDSU's campus) into a useless fight?

Give NDSU a little more credit than that as an insitution. Carlson has screwed NDSU over as badly as he has UND and is an enemy of higher education in North Dakota with his lack of direction on equitable funding across the state. NDSU students have had to live in hotels while he champions the nickname issue - do you really think a true fan of NDSU (or god forbid, just their sports teams) would be so blind and stupid as to let that happen in the face of a vendetta he, in all likelihood, doesn't have?

Grow a brain.

(EDIT: Add NDB's "undermine the SBOHE" to the list - still doesn't jive)

A big hell no to that. Carlson couldn't give a rats @ss about the name or else where was he when this issue happened in 2005. As for number 2 I can see that. Only to gain votes. He f*d up majorly as the bill was repealed and his political attempt at a senate or representative in congress just took a huge hit!

DJKyR0
December 31st, 2011, 07:16 PM
A big hell no to that. Carlson couldn't give a rats @ss about the name or else where was he when this issue happened in 2005. As for number 2 I can see that. Only to gain votes. He f*d up majorly as the bill was repealed and his political attempt at a senate or representative in congress just took a huge hit!

To that end, where the hell was he when Fargo was fighting for its life the past few years when the city was flooding in the spring? Does that speak volumes to you about how much the guy cares about where he's from, much less his freakin' duty as a public representative of Fargo?

Make no mistake - he sees NDSU as just another tool he can use to propel himself up the legislative ladder. Don't lump us in with him again.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 07:18 PM
To that end, where the hell was he when Fargo was fighting for its life the past few years when the city was flooding in the spring? Does that speak volumes to you about how much the guy cares about where he's from, much less his freakin' duty as a public representative of Fargo?

Make no mistake - he sees NDSU as just another tool he can use to propel himself up the legislative ladder. Don't lump us in with him again.

Agreed...just as long as you don't lump him as a UND fan.

Thundar
December 31st, 2011, 07:20 PM
put the issue to bed, the entire state is getting damn tired of hearing about it...I spent 2 days in GF for work last wek, out in the bar a guy noticed my NDSU watch we started talking about the NC game then naturally it progressed into the damn nickname, 3 more people joined in all in their UND gear and they all said the same while they dont agree they are so damn sick of hearing about it they dont care anymore. I understand that is a small sample of opinion but in GF at bar with UND **** all over talking to 4 guys in UND gear and they all said the same means something. BTW all gave well wishes to NDSU next week.

darell1976
December 31st, 2011, 07:23 PM
put the issue to bed, the entire state is getting damn tired of hearing about it...I spent 2 days in GF for work last wek, out in the bar a guy noticed my NDSU watch we started talking about the NC game then naturally it progressed into the damn nickname, 3 more people joined in all in their UND gear and they all said the same while they dont agree they are so damn sick of hearing about it they dont care anymore. I understand that is a small sample of opinion but in GF at bar with UND **** all over talking to 4 guys in UND gear and they all said the same means something. BTW all gave well wishes to NDSU next week.

That is why I wouldn't put any money on those petition signatures. People may not sign just because they want this issue..GONE!!

TheBisonator
January 2nd, 2012, 12:04 PM
Agreed...just as long as you don't lump him as a UND fan.

Carlson was doing this as a political power play, nothing more, nothing less. He was not doing it as an NDSU fan trying to undermine UND and he was not doing it as a UND fan buddying up with the nickname zealots. He was trying to gather a political base for a possible 2012 House run, cause at the time keeping the UND nickname was still a popular notion and he knew he could gather potential votes. He failed at it miserably.

344Johnson
January 2nd, 2012, 02:20 PM

1919 is when the Bison adopted the nickname KyRo.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=68605

UND has gotten involved with NDSU before(D-II scholarships). I think generally NDSU stays out of UND's way.

DJKyR0
January 2nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
1919 is when the Bison adopted the nickname KyRo.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=68605

UND has gotten involved with NDSU before(D-II scholarships). I think generally NDSU stays out of UND's way.

You're right, I got my dates mixed up with the change from NDAC to NDSU. Studying for finals still has my brains short-wired. Good catch.

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
Here is an email I got from UND President Robert Kelley about the H&A list:

Darell:

From my last conversation with the NCAA, it is my understanding that UND is off the list.

Thanks for the question.

Robert O. Kelley
President
The University of North Dakota
300 Twamley Hall, 264 Centennial Dr. Stop 8193
Grand Forks, ND 58202-8193
701-777-2121 / Fax 701 777 3866

NDB
January 3rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
That's great to hear.

I strongly empathize with Kelley over this. He has handled this extremely well. I'm happy that the NCAA recognizes that the University is moving forward.

LakesBison
January 3rd, 2012, 10:53 AM
z z z z z z z

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
That's great to hear.

I strongly empathize with Kelley over this. He has handled this extremely well. I'm happy that the NCAA recognizes that the University is moving forward.

Wow, nice work NDB. In one post you throw yourself into the upper echelon of the good NDSU fans. Of course it's starting to get crowded in there.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
z z z z z z z

I'm sure you, Lakes, & JBB are having fun too though.xthumbsupx

TheBisonator
January 3rd, 2012, 05:43 PM
So I have a question: Officially UND sports is not known by anything now?? I still see "Fighting Sioux" on their ESPN web pages, but I know the university itself has done a thorough job of taking everything "Sioux" down from its website, TV promos, etc.

Will there still be a several month to a year waiting period for the remnants of the name to wash away, like on the ESPN sites, and such??

My advice to UND: Go with Roughriders RIGHT NOW. You can't last long without a name, and that name has always fit you. Screw GF Red River HS. That's where all the future GF area Subway sandwich "artists" go to school. If I were you, I would present a Roughriders proposal, start a logo contest, have anyone apply if they want to, and start slapping "Roughriders" all over campus.

frozennorth
January 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
So I have a question: Officially UND sports is not known by anything now?? I still see "Fighting Sioux" on their ESPN web pages, but I know the university itself has done a thorough job of taking everything "Sioux" down from its website, TV promos, etc.

Will there still be a several month to a year waiting period for the remnants of the name to wash away, like on the ESPN sites, and such??

My advice to UND: Go with Roughriders RIGHT NOW. You can't last long without a name, and that name has always fit you. Screw GF Red River HS. That's where all the future GF area Subway sandwich "artists" go to school. If I were you, I would present a Roughriders proposal, start a logo contest, have anyone apply if they want to, and start slapping "Roughriders" all over campus.

it's the runaway best nickname option by miles and miles and miles.

sgt smash
January 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Was it this week that the NCAA was going to the REA to check out the logos there? What is the plan with that place? Roughriders is good but is the High School gonna fight that if they do? Or would they take of as somewhat of a complement?

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
It's a great name.

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Was it this week that the NCAA was going to the REA to check out the logos there? What is the plan with that place? Roughriders is good but is the High School gonna fight that if they do? Or would they take of as somewhat of a complement?

I know its January but didn't know the exact date. It won't be during a game due to scheduling conflicts for the NCAA.

TheBisonator
January 4th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Something was on WDAZ (Grand Forks) news tonight that may stir up the pot some more.

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/11728/

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Something was on WDAZ (Grand Forks) news tonight that may stir up the pot some more.

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/11728/

Sad thing is the hockey only crowd won't care.

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Here are the new women's hockey jerseys:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/womensjersey.jpg

BisonHype!
January 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
It is better than going with the Flickertails.

Sam_Kats
January 4th, 2012, 03:37 PM
What is this "hockey" you speak of??

BisonHype!
January 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM

Ice, puck, a stick or two. It's a real thing that exists up north. You have a team in your state that left from Minnesota. They have won a Stanley Cup or two.

Sam_Kats
January 4th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Ice, puck, a stick or two. It's a real thing that exists up north. You have a team in your state that left from Minnesota. They have won a Stanley Cup or two.

Hmmm...guess I'll have to check that out.

Sambow
January 4th, 2012, 03:55 PM

I think it is something like soccer on a frozen lake...........

Sam_Kats
January 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I think it is something like soccer on a frozen lake...........

Oh ok - nevermind. I was afraid I was missing out on an actual SPORT.

coldspot
January 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM

the only thing soccer and hockey have in common is you score by putting the ball/puck in the net. soccer is a bunch of pansy asses standing around on a giant field while 2-3 guys pass the ball back and forth for 90 minutes. and if anybody makes contact they get a special rainbow card for making the guy they hit cry. hockey on the other hand is much faster paced and its even encouraged to hit other people.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 4th, 2012, 04:04 PM
It is better than going with the Flickertails.

Unless of course you are from North Dakota and have to have your name stolen. I'm offended....go get yourself a frickin name!

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 04:06 PM

Its in the olympics...I guess you never heard of the Miracle on Ice USA vs USSR 1980. You must have been out rustling cattle.

LakesBison
January 4th, 2012, 04:07 PM
spoken like 95% of America!

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 04:08 PM
spoken like 95% of America!

Thats why the NCAA DI hockey championship is on ESPN while the FCS Championship is on ESPN2.

LakesBison
January 4th, 2012, 04:10 PM
April needs programming, I dont think hockey even gets a rating point.

FCS championship at least gets ratings points.

Sam_Kats
January 4th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Its in the olympics...I guess you never heard of the Miracle on Ice USA vs USSR 1980. You must have been out rustling cattle.

So are curling, rowing, judo & fencing. You must be a fan.

And someone has to get their hands dirty to provide dinner for all the pansies who can't change a flat tire.

I saw bowling on ESPN once. Manly man.

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 04:14 PM
So are curling, rowing, judo & fencing. You must be a fan.

And someone has to get their hands dirty to provide dinner for all the pansies who can't change a flat tire.

I saw bowling on ESPN once. Manly man.

I guess Texas was so jealous of the NHL having northern teams Dallas needed to steal the Minnesota North Stars.

Sam_Kats
January 4th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I think it was more the NHL seeing the opportunity to make some $$ in Dallas. Let's not get carried away, pal. Don't get em in a wad. It's just an intertron message board.

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I think it was more the NHL seeing the opportunity to make some $$ in Dallas. Let's not get carried away, pal. Don't get em in a wad. It's just an intertron message board.

Actually the fans were so pissed at the owner they quit showing up, add a failed stadium deal in Minneapolis and St. Paul, plus he has a sexual harassment suit going so he moved the team to Dallas. He wasn't the owner when Dallas won the Stanley Cup.

344Johnson
January 4th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Thats why the NCAA DI hockey championship is on ESPN while the FCS Championship is on ESPN2.

Bowling is on every Sunday during the fall. If NCAA DI hockey is this "big thing", why don't they play the Frozen Four the same weekend as the Final Four? Why do they give these hockies guys an extra week off? Perhaps it is so that ESPN will throw them a bone and put it on tv. Plus in Teh Hockies, they allow games to end in a tie. Real sports always determine a winner.

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Bowling is on every Sunday during the fall. If NCAA DI hockey is this "big thing", why don't they play the Frozen Four the same weekend as the Final Four? Why do they give these hockies guys an extra week off? Perhaps it is so that ESPN will throw them a bone and put it on tv. Plus in Teh Hockies, they allow games to end in a tie. Real sports always determine a winner.

Maybe its because ESPN is based in Connecticut...they do play hockey in the northeast didn't you see the Flyers and Rangers from the Phillies ballpark? Didn't see any former Bison players in there did you?

ursus arctos horribilis
January 4th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Hockey.xlolx

No offense if it's in your wheelhouse and all good for you but I'd rather mistake a can of mace for air freshener while being locked in a bathroom with Cap'n Cat after an all you can eat burrito night than watch a hockey game.

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Hockey.xlolx

No offense if it's in your wheelhouse and all good for you but I'd rather mistake a can of mace for air freshener while being locked in a bathroom with Cap'n Cat after an all you can eat burrito night than watch a hockey game.

Yikes!!xlolx

frozennorth
January 4th, 2012, 05:03 PM

and why noone watches either except for the true believers/people who can't find the remote.

frozennorth
January 4th, 2012, 05:09 PM
the only thing soccer and hockey have in common is you score by putting the ball/puck in the net. soccer is a bunch of pansy asses standing around on a giant field while 2-3 guys pass the ball back and forth for 90 minutes. and if anybody makes contact they get a special rainbow card for making the guy they hit cry. hockey on the other hand is much faster paced and its even encouraged to hit other people.

hate to break it to you, but soccer and hockey are pretty damn similar. lots of hockey players in highschool play soccer in the offseason rather than other sports because of this. The worst sports injury i ever saw live happened in a soccer game.

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Didn't see any former Bison players in there did you?

3 of them in the NFL, 2 starters Joe Mays, Craig Dahl and Ramon Humber.

I thought we were talking hockey...thanks for paying attention.

LakesBison
January 4th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Didn't see any former Bison players in there did you?

3 of them in the NFL, 2 starters Joe Mays, Craig Dahl and Ramon Humber.

HOCKEY RATINGS ALL TIME HIGHEST:
4.5 million Jan. 1, 2011 NBC Capitals-Penguins

4.4 million Jan. 1, 2009 NBC Red Wings-Blackhawks

3.8 million Jan. 27, 1996 FOX Six-game regional coverage

3.8 million Jan. 1, 2008 NBC Penguins-Sabres

3.74 million Jan. 2, 2012 NBC Rangers-Flyers

3.68 million Jan. 1, 2010 NBC Flyers-Bruins

Yesterday’s winter classic game produced a 2.1 rating 3 million.

PUT THIS INTO PRESPECTIVE JAN 1st RERUN OF HOUSE:

3.640 million viewers <<<< HAHAHAHAHAHA.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...d-down/115232/

WestRiverBison
January 5th, 2012, 02:04 PM
butthockey???

Bison06
January 5th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Why do hockey fans always try to have this conversation? Why do you care that only a small percentage of people like your favorite sport? If you like it watch it.

Quit trying to tell everyone else how popular the sport is when clearly it isn't.

I live in Minnesota and even here, the cradle of hockey life, nobody really talks about hockey.