PDA

View Full Version : Where Does Ga Southern Go From Here?

TwoFeathers
December 17th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I was on the Ga Southern bandwagon all year. I thought they were unstoppable, and this was 'Their Year' to win it all. However, they fared no better (and perhaps worse) that last year in the semi's. Jaybo is gone next year. Do they improve and keep rolling next year, or do they take a step down after this loss?

SouthernStyle
December 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Well be ok...

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM
We get better. We have a lot of depth at QB. So much that we even moved our backup QB (McKinnon) over to DB during the playoffs. Jaybo was great for us in that he knew the offense right off the bat (coming from Georgia Tech). He was a great leader on the field but not really a great athlete. I think he runs an 8.3 second 40. We will actually have a fast, athletic QB starting next year. Imagine what we can do with an fast qb.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens after Swope (freshman) gets the offseason to hit the weights and bulk up.

Aside from that, we are only losing 4 or 5 other starters. Just like last year, we will be back and will be just as good if not better.

It's just a matter of time.

TwoFeathers
December 17th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Does Jaybo have eligibility left, or is he definately gone?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 17th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Jaybo is done.

I'm very glad that we are able to get Jaybo. There's no way we could have had a winning season last year without him. But he does become a liability because he just doesn't have the acceleration and agility that we usually have with QBs in this offense. GSU's freshman backup QB and the OL is the wildcard. There have been many plays GSU had this year that went for 2 or 3 yards that I'm sure he could have turned into 15 or 20 yards. GSU will have a killer offense next year IF we don't drop off too much on the OL and Izzy Youyoute (aforementioned QB) can get the hang of the offense.

The secondary will still be an issue on the D but it shouldn't keep us from another deep playoff run if the offense pans out like that.

TwoFeathers
December 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
We get better. We have a lot of depth at QB. So much that we even moved our backup QB (McKinnon) over to DB during the playoffs. Jaybo was great for us in that he knew the offense right off the bat (coming from Georgia Tech). He was a great leader on the field but not really a great athlete. I think he runs an 8.3 second 40. We will actually have a fast, athletic QB starting next year. Imagine what we can do with an fast qb.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens after Swope (freshman) gets the offseason to hit the weights and bulk up.

Aside from that, we are only losing 4 or 5 other starters. Just like last year, we will be back and will be just as good if not better.

This is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt if necessary, but I think the Triple Option is all about execution. And Jaybo was special in that role. You may have a 'faster' QB, but are they going to be able to make the reads and complete the handoff's and pitches as well as Jaybo? Seems like there could be as much lost, as gained. IMO.

TwoFeathers
December 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I hope the Eagles improve the defense. It appears it took a step back from last year's squad. Am I correct?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I hope the Eagles improve the defense. It appears it took a step back from last year's squad. Am I correct?

The biggest problem was losing our safety early in the season. That pretty much tore a big hole in the secondary that didn't have much depth to make up for it.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 17th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Yes. We lost our defensive coordinator to Vanderbilt. He was good. It shows.

Eaglesrus
December 17th, 2011, 05:33 PM
This is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt if necessary, but I think the Triple Option is all about execution. And Jaybo was special in that role. You may have a 'faster' QB, but are they going to be able to make the reads and complete the handoff's and pitches as well as Jaybo? Seems like there could be as much lost, as gained. IMO.

This is true. Jaybo brought the cerebral aspect, toughness and a coach's mentality. Fortunately the backups have been able to spend 1- 2 years with him and hopefully have absorbed some of that, obviously only time will tell.

eaglesrback
December 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Google Tracy Ham, Raymond Gross, Greg Hill, J.R. Revere,Chaz Williams, Jayson Foster, ETC.....

GSUwinsagain
December 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM
We had a great recruiting class year. We will have some holes to fill and we will have some growing pains with new qb, but we will be fine.

TwoFeathers
Google Tracy Ham, Raymond Gross, Greg Hill, J.R. Revere,Chaz Williams, Jayson Foster, ETC.....

Understood. I'm just asking if the next QB be a step up or a step back overall. Certainly not saying Jaybo is the only guy, but is there someone available who can come in and take the Eagles to the next level?

Blueandwhitefightfight

Jaybo was special at times. But he was responsible for more fumbles that I can recall also. We put in YouYoute at backup a few times this year and he did really well.

Honestly I don't care who we have at QB next year as long as we get this damn fumble situation under control.

Reign of Terrier
December 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
They'll be fine. They return like 15 or 16 starters. SoCon top 3 looks to be GSU, Wofford, and Chatty in that order IMO.

gsueagle02
December 17th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Jaybo is a heck of a qb but we have several qb's that have tons of talent that will be fighting for the start next season. Plus Swope will be a guaranteed beast. I just hope we can fill some holes in the secondary and perhaps recruit a top linebacker.

blueballs
December 18th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Feathers:

That is a valid question.

What everybody has lost is that the program is still in transition- transition from APR sanctions and subsequent loss of scholarships, player attrition, and two failed coaching regimes. A GREAT recruiting class in 2010 and Jaybo Shaw (who as a transfer was part of that class) fast forwarded that transition by two years. If you had seen GSU in 2009 and spring practice in 2010 you would understand what I'm talking about.

GSU's overall team speed, strength, and health was better this year due to a full year of S&C under Monken's regime in general and Tom Melton in particular. That will only improve going forward.

GSU has been a YOUNG team the past two years. Young as in young with many FR & SO playing but also young as in not very many, if at all, 4th yr JR's and 5th yr SR's. That too will change as the overall depth of the program improves and more players are able to redshirt. For an option offense the two best things in the world above and beyond talent are 5th year SR o-linemen and a 5th year SR QB. GSU hasn't really had that since 2004.

So the future is certainly bright. Monken is still in the process of rebuilding the program in his image. GSU is back but still obviously not at the level of the late 80's, late 90's, or early 00's. I'm confident that the program is heading in that direction though.

caribbeanhen
December 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM
home

Gil Dobie
December 18th, 2011, 10:12 AM
GSU will be fine, lots of great young players on that team. I expect to see them in the playoffs over and over again.

bluehenbillk
December 18th, 2011, 10:15 AM
GSU will be better off without Shaw. He's not a big running threat and NDSU did a good a job as I've seen smothering the pitch/sweep plays.

GSU needs to put the word triple back into the TO and they'll be OK.

What was up with Russell? I know people raved about him last year, manbearpig etc. Now I didn't see him much this year but he looked like a boy against men yesterday.

CropDuster
December 18th, 2011, 11:29 AM
GSU will be better off without Shaw. He's not a big running threat and NDSU did a good a job as I've seen smothering the pitch/sweep plays.

GSU needs to put the word triple back into the TO and they'll be OK.

What was up with Russell? I know people raved about him last year, manbearpig etc. Now I didn't see him much this year but he looked like a boy against men yesterday.

He's been doubled teamed constantly this year and the other guys on the DL haven't taken advantage of it. We had a new def coord. this year too who doesn't bring the heat, preferring to just rush the front four most of the time. We've had multiple games this year without a single holding call, despite Russell having rips in his jersey from being held so much.

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM
We all have to be very careful in evaluating the Eagles. I was as disappointed as any Eagle fan yesterday, but we really did have a very good season. The last 2 years we have made it to the FCS semifinals. We lost on the road to 2 good teams in Delaware and North Dakota St. How many other FCS fans would love to say they were 1 of 4 teams left standing in each of the last 2 years.

That being said there are certainly some areas we need to improve. We obviously will have a new QB next year. How far we go will be largely determined by whoever that is.

But I have to say the future looks bright. If we keep knocking on the door we will push it down soon.

kdinva
December 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
A) Winter workout programs.
B) Spring practice
C) August camp.
D) 2012 season opener vs. Jacksonville U.

eaglewraith
December 18th, 2011, 12:44 PM
A) Winter workout programs.
B) Spring practice
C) August camp.
D) 2012 season opener vs. Jacksonville U.

Best answer so far, and completely accurate.

Hopefully followed by
E) Buttrape every team we play

Wilson16
December 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Best answer so far, and completely accurate.

Hopefully followed by
E) Buttrape every team we play

You guys will still be a little sore from the buttrape you took yesterday :)

eaglewraith
December 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM
You guys will still be a little sore from the buttrape you took yesterday :)

Next time give us lube please

NDB
December 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM
You guys said you didn't need it.

jim121256
December 18th, 2011, 01:51 PM
My opinion... the Eagles have made it to the semis two years in a row, so there's no reason to panic. How many other teams have been final four the last two years? I don't see them doing anything but getting better. After all, they've made it this far with a team built around juniors and seniors who were players recruited (and presumably well-suited to) run a spread passing attack and around freshmen and sophomores. We've had good senior leadership the last two years, but I believe that we'll continue to step it up as Coach Monken's own recruits become the leaders on the team. BTW, I'm a big Jaybo fan, but I really like to see the highly athletic quarterback running the option. That's the prototype that's won big for GS and for all the programs I can recall who have been most successful running option-type attacks.

For one, I can't wait for next season!

SideLine Shooter
December 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I understand if Baker ever leaves that Van Goober wants the AD job.

eaglewraith
December 18th, 2011, 10:53 PM

That's not even funny.

asknoquarter21
December 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
They'll be fine. They return like 15 or 16 starters. SoCon top 3 looks to be GSU, Wofford, and Chatty in that order IMO.

xeyebrowx

gsu1moretime
December 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Jaybo could be back.. as a graduate assistant coaching.

ASUMountaineer
December 19th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Why didn't he start? I'm not trash-talking, just curious. If he is better, why not play him?

GOB1SON
December 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Jaybo might not have been fast, but based on what I saw Saturday, he was tough. You have to be one tough SOB to QB the TO.

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Jaybo Shaw was a big part of Eagle success the past 2 years. Last year we reverse field and go back to the triple option. We bring in a quarterback who knows how to run it and he leads us to the semifinals in his first year. This year again I would argue we don't get to the final 4 without Shaw. 2 years, 2 semifinal appearances-- not bad, not bad at all.

Yes this year ended with disappointment like last year, but every year ends in disappointment for every team in FCS except 1 team. Either NDSU or SHSU is going to feel the sting of disappointment in a few weeks also.

eaglewraith
December 19th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Why didn't he start? I'm not trash-talking, just curious. If he is better, why not play him?

Just needs more time in the offense. You have to run a lot of reps to get a real feel for where the ball needs to go, whether to keep on the dive read or take it and roll out, whether to pitch or keep. It's not simple. You want your QB working on instinct, you don't want them thinking about what they've got to do. They're not very successful until they get to that point. Jaybo has been running this offense for 4 years at this point, there's a reason he looks as polished as he does.

seantaylor
December 20th, 2011, 12:12 AM
We will be better next year. The last two years we were running the double option according to the defenses we faced. Jaybo just did not have the speed for the defense to gameplan for the QB in the triple. Next year, McKinnon and Eazy both have blazing speed. I appreciate what Jaybo did, but he wasn't ever going to win us a championship.

Tribe4SF
December 20th, 2011, 05:23 AM
How well do McKinnon and Youyuote throw the ball? Shaw handled that aspect of the offense really well, and when you get deep in the playoffs, that can be an important ingredient.

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2011, 06:39 AM
How well do McKinnon and Youyuote throw the ball? Shaw handled that aspect of the offense really well, and when you get deep in the playoffs, that can be an important ingredient.

I haven't really seen McKinnon throw lately but Izzy has seen some action in mop up time during the year and plus I've watched him in pre-game workouts. He has very good mechanics, quick release, and a tight spiral on pretty much every pass I've seen. He also has a bit of a gun to go downfield. Shaw has been very accurate on short to mid range passes which I wish we would have used more of this year. However, Izzy can take the passing game vertical and put the ball on target downfield. It should be interesting.

The kid behind him that was redshirted this year is supposed to have an even better arm.

paward
December 20th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I love the path GSU is going. They have faced a lot of obstacles over the last decade. I think they have the offense that works best and should stick to it. The mystic surrounded by that program is unreal. I look forward to going to their game when I get the chance. It is indeed the prettiest little stadium in America. Me thinks pole #7 is coming soon.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Home

xcoffeex

eaglewraith
December 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Home

xcoffeex

Bet you beat us there :)

blueballs
December 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Ezayi Youyoute is the total package from a talent standpoint... he has ideal size, is lightning fast, has a cannon, and very good instincts running the ball. If they can get him comfortable running the offense to the point where ball security isn't an issue he will be the guy.

Looking at GSU going into next year reminds me of 2002... the great SR class of 2001 (Revere, Peterson, and Weathers in particular offensively) had graduated but there was a boatload of talent stepping in (Chaz, Austin, Myers). There was a battle for the starting QB slot in spring and fall between Chaz Williams and Trey Hunter and for the b-back position between Edmund Coley, Brandon Andrews and Jermaine Austin. They finally settled on Chaz and Austin and that duo terrorized the SoCon for the next 3 years.

That team stumbled early against Delaware and Wofford but came together at WCU in early October and went on a serious roll before losing a heartbreaker to WKU in the semis. I could see a similar scenario unfolding next year.

Apphole
December 20th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Why, the crapsville bar and grill of course. We were there two weeks before and have gotten a head start drinking.

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Probably a more interesting question is the rest schedule. Much has been made about the improved SoCon. While GSU was good in 2002 after losing a lot of seniors, one has to remember that the 2002 SoCon had three good teams--beat one of them and you'd share the conference championship at minimum.

I don't really expect that any team in the SoCon will take a major step backwards. GSU will have to stay sharp to keep their perch, I think, as there's a bunch of teams good enough to take their spot in 2012.

seantaylor
December 20th, 2011, 11:51 PM
We will be undefeated at home for the 2nd year in a row. Need to win the road games again,

eaglemachine
December 21st, 2011, 07:14 AM
I am thinking that if we are making it to the semi's with reduced scholarships and players left over from previous coaching staffs that have not been recruited for this system, how good will we be in 2012 and 2013 when we have full scholarships back and the speed components back from getting players recruited for our offense that we are currently missing. The beginning of next year may be a little rough since we are loosing Jaybo and a few OL and special teams, but I think we will be rolling by the end of the year.

OL FU
December 21st, 2011, 07:34 AM
I am thinking that if we are making it to the semi's with reduced scholarships and players left over from previous coaching staffs that have not been recruited for this system, how good will we be in 2012 and 2013 when we have full scholarships back and the speed components back from getting players recruited for our offense that we are currently missing. The beginning of next year may be a little rough since we are loosing Jaybo and a few OL and special teams, but I think we will be rolling by the end of the year.

I agree. This was a really good GSU team, but this was still not the teams of the past. Add the components you mentioned above and I think you just get better. Hopefully, an FBS team wants an option coach.:D

seantaylor
December 21st, 2011, 07:38 AM
The crazy thing is Chaz was much tougher than Jayobn
o, not to memtopm tje blazng sweed

Tribe4SF
December 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM
The crazy thing is Chaz was much tougher than Jayobn
o, not to memtopm tje blazng sweed

Blazing Swedes! I'll be making more GSU games, fer sure!

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/36015951195508898138.jpg

Kill'em
December 21st, 2011, 11:41 PM

The locks to OUR HOUSE were changed when that SOB left! xmadx

seantaylor
December 22nd, 2011, 05:09 AM
The huge problem is Sammy Baker. Rubes that graduated from GSU in the old days love Keel, even though he has done absolutely nothing for the school as of yet. Guy gets a pass because he's from the south. Grube is a socialist, even though he put the school on the academic map.

eaglewraith
December 22nd, 2011, 07:15 AM
The huge problem is Sammy Baker. Rubes that graduated from GSU in the old days love Keel, even though he has done absolutely nothing for the school as of yet. Guy gets a pass because he's from the south. Grube is a socialist, even though he put the school on the academic map.

Please just stop talking.

Kill'em
December 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Home

xcoffeex
Thanks for leaving the light on.

seantaylor
December 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Please just stop talking.

Please just stop eating.

Kill'em
December 23rd, 2011, 01:50 AM

That is a fair question and I can give you the #1 answer... We would not have even been close to making the playoffs the past two years, let alone the semis had we not had Shaw at QB. Folks might be getting a little ahead of themselves in their opinions of the TO not being stopped. This team is still learning the offense. We have taken our leading rusher and moved him from fullback to slotback (I hope he stays there) because his back-up is a monster. Our slotbacks still act like tailbacks and wait for holes to open. All this does is let the pursuit to catch up to them. Jaybo is like having a coach on the field, if you will please excuse the cliche'. He has been crucial in showing the offensive linemen whom to block and where the slotbacks are supposed to be when the ball moves down the line. This year, Jaybo showed more confidence in the slots by pitching the ball just before he goes down. This is something we really haven't seen since Raymond Gross was here. His graduating is like taking the training wheels off the bicycle.

seantaylor
December 23rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Jaybo was a good transition while we got up to speed on the option. However, I hope not getting the younger guys in more this season doesn't hurt us.

alvinkayak6
December 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Swope is a future breakout player. I see playoffs for the near future with no title.