PDA

View Full Version : New NCAA, ESPN TV deal means more FCS playoff coverage...

FargoBison
December 15th, 2011, 04:00 PM
ESPN will air more contests in the early rounds of the Division I FCS football, women's volleyball, softball and baseball tournaments.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/344107/group/homepage/

darell1976
December 15th, 2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/344107/group/homepage/

Is that just ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU or does that also include ESPN3 which some do not get?

FargoBison
December 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Every game was already on ESPN3....

darell1976
December 15th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Every game was already on ESPN3....

I hope they make ESPN3 more accessable to internet users..espeically CABLE ONE!!!

FargoBison
December 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I hope they make ESPN3 more accessable to internet users..espeically CABLE ONE!!!

Good luck with that...Cableone is the worst company in America.

This about more TV games.

ESPN3 is a fight between ESPN and ISPs, the NCAA won't be getting involved with that.

darell1976
December 15th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Good luck with that...Cableone is the worst company in America.

This about more TV games, ESPN3 is a fight between ESPN and ISPs.

And its too bad that Fargo's neighbors has a better company in MidContinent than the city itself. I hope this leads to our teams being on tv more. I hope its not an east coast bias thing either.

danefan
December 15th, 2011, 07:59 PM
"air" suggests actual TV...not Internet, but that's an assumption.

Mr. C
December 15th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Anyone know any specifics on the deal (i.e. how many more FCS playoff games)?

mtgrizfan4life
December 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I believe this stems from what happened a few weeks ago. It brought a lot of things into the picture, than before it.

(1) ESPN3 was not available to a few too many potential viewers. Even in areas where the ISP carried it, many carriers did not have the capacity to get a good internet feed.

(2) The agreement with the NCAA and ESPN had some holes in it. Something dealing with that ESPN must broadcast (tv), not netcast (internet), the 1st 2 rounds of the FCS playoffs, or relinquish the broadcast rights to local tv networks/stations. From what I understand, technically the 1st round games should have been made available for tv too. Which they did not do until the 2nd round games, after Montanans threw a fit, and found the terms.

I am sure when that was found, it kind of forced ESPN's legal obligation, rather than having it go to court. IE, make the remainder of the playoffs on tv (game plan), relinquish the rights, or have it taken to the courts.

I have a feeling this will be the case for the remaining years of the current agreement. Here is to hoping every FCS playoff game will be on TV, one way, or the other next year.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I believe this stems from what happened a few weeks ago. It brought a lot of things into the picture, than before it.

(1) ESPN3 was not available to a few too many potential viewers. Even in areas where the ISP carried it, many carriers did not have the capacity to get a good internet feed.

(2) The agreement with the NCAA and ESPN had some holes in it. Something dealing with that ESPN must broadcast (tv), not netcast (internet), the 1st 2 rounds of the FCS playoffs, or relinquish the broadcast rights to local tv networks/stations. From what I understand, technically the 1st round games should have been made available for tv too. Which they did not do until the 2nd round games, after Montanans threw a fit, and found the terms.

I am sure when that was found, it kind of forced ESPN's legal obligation, rather than having it go to court. IE, make the remainder of the playoffs on tv (game plan), relinquish the rights, or have it taken to the courts.

I have a feeling this will be the case for the remaining years of the current agreement. Here is to hoping every FCS playoff game will be on TV, one way, or the other next year.

Hmmm...I guess GridCaptain and some of the others were wrong on if this is how it really played out and given the timing it makes some sense.

Thanks for the clarification.

clenz
December 16th, 2011, 01:26 AM
ESPN3 is available to just as many households in America than ESPNU....ESPN3 available to more due to being able to share screen names and remote link....

OhioHen
December 16th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Is that just ESPN and ESPN2 or does that include ESPNU and ESPNClassic which many do not get?

fify

bluehenbillk
December 16th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I don't know how anyone read into extending the NCAA's deal with ESPN another 12 years that more FCS games would be televised. At the end of the day ESPN is like any other network - ratings drive programming.

Simply put, ESPN given the choice is always going to show the higher rated program. When they signed the last deal ESPNU wasn't out there yet, who knows what other viewing options ESPN will develop over that time. But until that happens I could see ESPN increasing from the current 6 of 19 playoff games they televise to maybe 7 or 8, but if you think it should be more than that you'd have to come up with some kind of solid business reason to do it. The fact is ratings for FBS games and even low-rung crappy bowl games like the New Mexico Bowl are much better than that of FCS playoff games. December college hoops ratings also considerably beat FCS playoffs too.

insideout08
December 16th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I don't know how anyone read into extending the NCAA's deal with ESPN another 12 years that more FCS games would be televised. At the end of the day ESPN is like any other network - ratings drive programming.

Simply put, ESPN given the choice is always going to show the higher rated program. When they signed the last deal ESPNU wasn't out there yet, who knows what other viewing options ESPN will develop over that time. But until that happens I could see ESPN increasing from the current 6 of 19 playoff games they televise to maybe 7 or 8, but if you think it should be more than that you'd have to come up with some kind of solid business reason to do it. The fact is ratings for FBS games and even low-rung crappy bowl games like the New Mexico Bowl are much better than that of FCS playoff games. December college hoops ratings also considerably beat FCS playoffs too.

Because the article specifically states, "ESPN will air more contests in the early rounds of the Division I FCS football, women's volleyball, softball and baseball tournaments."