PDA

View Full Version : Montana at Sam Houston State - Game Thread

TexasTerror
December 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Sam Houston State Bearkats vs University of Montana
December 16, 2011 · 7:00 p.m · Bowers Stadium · Huntsville, TX

Following the Game
Live Feed - ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/#type/upcoming/startDate/20111216/)
Radio - KSAM (http://www.ksam1017.com)
TV - ESPN

Game Day Weather Information (courtesy of Weather.com for now) -
Bowers Stadium (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Huntsville+TX+77340)

Game Notes
UM - Not Available at Time of Posting
SHSU - Not Available at Time of Posting

Twitter Feeds
@UMGrizzlies (https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES)
@BearkatSports (http://twitter.com/BearkatSports)

Team Web Sites
University of Montana (http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/football.aspx?m=37)
Sam Houston State University (http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&KEY=&SPID=11345&SPSID=92955)

Other Helpful Links
Missoulian (http://missoulian.com/)
Huntsville Item (http://www.itemonline.com)
Houstonian Online (http://www.houstonianonline.com/sports) (SHSU student newspaper)

Team Fan Sites

eGriz (http://www.egriz.com/)
SHSU KatFans.com (http://www.katfans.com/)

TexasTerror
December 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Sam Houston will play host to the Montana Grizzlies at 7 p.m. Friday at Elliott T. Bowers Stadium in the NCAA Division I Playoff semifinals.

The game will be televised nationally by ESPN.

Georgia Southern will travel to North Dakota State for the second semifinal match-up to kickoff at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. The two winners will meet in the NCAA Division I National Championship Game at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas at 12 noon on Saturday, January 7.

Sam Houston (13-0) enters the semifinals as the No. 1 seed and stands No. 1 in the Sports Network NCAA FCS poll. Montana (11-2) is ranked No. 5.

Both teams are hot. The Bearkats are the only unbeaten team in NCAA FCS action this year and own a 15-game winning streak going back to the final two games of 2010. Montana brings a 10-game winning streak to Huntsville.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205345117

Grizzlies82
December 11th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Sam Houston looked great on Saturday. What stuck out the most was;

1. You had multiple offensive weapons with good speed. Your offensive coordinator also had a great game plan which left the bobcats defense looking confused or left them out of place.

2. SHSU's defensive line was also impressive. They stuffed most of the bobcat running plays for just 1 or 2 yards. The cats broke a couple of decent runs but very few. SHSU's line also had McGhee looking rattled (key to beating cats) and on the run far too often.

3. Though I also thought the bobcats forgot how to tackle. Except for the wide sweeps, every Bearkat big play involved a bobcat (or several) who failed to wrap up a tackle. As a result 3 yard gains became 30 yards or a TD.

I'm really forward to this one. These are two teams with stout defenses and dangerous offenses.
Should be classic football. Go Griz!

Grizzlies82
December 12th, 2011, 01:21 AM
If even their equipment manager is that fast... we're screwed!
:)

Twentysix
December 12th, 2011, 02:03 AM
If even their equipment manager is that fast... we're screwed!
:)

SHSU is going to be hydrated so quickly.

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Another write-up...

Opponents have found it difficult to prepare their defenses to face Sam Houston State's option-style offense this season.

Montana State joined that undesirable club Saturday afternoon in Huntsville.

The Bobcats were successful in slowing down Sam Houston State on its first two drives, but the Bearkats soon broke out of the early slump. Their speedy weapons tore through Montana State's defense and helped Sam Houston State rack up 501 yards (including a season-high 428 rushing) en route to a 49-13 victory in the quarterfinals of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Area-college-notebook-Sam-Houston-State-s-option-2396142.php

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Really hope the results have helped the Southland... hopefully the league can get back in the business of putting two teams in!

From the Lake Charles American-Press...

Earlier this week, the guys from the TV show “Myth Busters” made some news when they accidentally sent a cannonball into the side of someone’s house, as well as the roof of a minivan.

Sam Houston State did a similarly explosive job of myth-busting in its 49-13 win over Montana State in the Football Championship Subdivision quarterfinals on Saturday, finally showing us that Southland Conference teams can match up with the Big Sky better than, well, a minivan against a cannonball.

Prior to the Bearkats’ breakthrough, there wasn’t much evidence indicating otherwise in the last decade. Including last week’s 41-14 Montana win over Central Arkansas, the average score in 10 meetings since 2003 has been Big Sky 39, Southland 16.

Sam Houston’s own performance to open the playoffs also gave no hint that such a reversal of fortune was possible. The Bearkats trailed at halftime and needed a touchdown with just over a minute left to pull out a win over Stony Brook, hardly known as a titan of the sport.

http://www.americanpress.com/Sports/Hickey-12-12-11

GrizNation93
December 12th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I think this is going to be one hell of a game. Both teams have similar styles on offense and their D's seem to be playing well. I think the Griz senior leadership and big play ability will win the day however. Plus, their D knows how to tackle unlike the Cats!

Phrebert
December 12th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Really hope the results have helped the Southland... hopefully the league can get back in the business of putting two teams in!

From the Lake Charles American-Press...

http://www.americanpress.com/Sports/Hickey-12-12-11

He uses way too many metaphors like a student trying to expand his 1000 word reportxreadxxrulesxxrulesx

TexasTerror
December 12th, 2011, 02:01 PM
SHSU has released parking situation in light of graduation and football at same time...

http://www.shsu.edu/~reg_www/destination/images/FridayCommencementParking.jpg

Grizcountry420
December 12th, 2011, 02:04 PM
How hard can it be to find parking when not even 10,000 fans show up for a game? SHSU fan base is a joke!

Sam_Kats
December 12th, 2011, 02:18 PM
How hard can it be to find parking when not even 10,000 fans show up for a game? SHSU fan base is a joke!

Being the hard-core fan you must be (according to this post), here's hoping you are able to stop by the Katfans.com tailgate & talk some football. You are making the trip, correct?

Grizcountry420
December 12th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Being the hard-core fan you must be (according to this post), here's hoping you are able to stop by the Katfans.com tailgate & talk some football. You are making the trip, correct?

I would if i could but i have mouths to feed at home..

Sam_Kats
December 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I would if i could but i have mouths to feed at home..

Hmmm.

Bearkat-Backer
December 12th, 2011, 02:47 PM

Really, that is what you are contributing to this conversation? I know it has been explained to you thick skulled mountain people several times already, but here it is again. University of Montana is a big fish in a small pond. There are only 2 DI football programs in the state of Montana and no FBS programs. you are only competing with Montana State for fans. There are 17 DI programs in the state of Texas and 12 of them are FBS programs. Also 7 of those FBS programs are less than 200 miles from Huntsville. So we are well down the list for fan support when it comes to college football in Texas, but our true fans are more than dedicated to this program. Why don't you actually talk about football instead of bringing up the same lame point over and over.

Sam_Kats
December 12th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Really, that is what you are contributing to this conversation? I know it has been explained to you thick skulled mountain people several times already, but here it is again. University of Montana is a big fish in a small pond. There are only 2 DI football programs in the state of Montana and no FBS programs. you are only competing with Montana State for fans. There are 17 DI programs in the state of Texas and 12 of them are FBS programs. Also 7 of those FBS programs are less than 200 miles from Huntsville. So we are well down the list for fan support when it comes to college football in Texas, but our true fans are more than dedicated to this program. Why don't you actually talk about football instead of bringing up the same lame point over and over.

Backer, don't worry. He's the only "REAL FAN" with mouths to feed at his home. Give him a break.

Grizalltheway
December 12th, 2011, 02:56 PM

How many of those teams had games on Saturday? How many Sam alums live in the Houston metro area?

FWIW, your crowd was a lot better than I expected, and I'd imagine it will be better Friday night.

Phrebert
December 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM
So IF we can't talk about WA-Griz, Home Field, Only show in town, Blah Blah,
Then how many National Championships or appearances in the game do the Binturongs have again or is that off limits too?

Bearkat-Backer
December 12th, 2011, 03:05 PM
How many of those teams had games on Saturday? How many Sam alums live in the Houston metro area?

That is not how it works in Texas. 95% of college football fans in this state grow up as fans of one of the "bigger" schools and think of anything else as DII. Even with the media coverage we have been getting the past few weeks most people still think SHSU and Montana are playing in the DII playoffs this Friday. You wouldn't beleive how many times I have to correct people here when talking about it. UM football may be a big draw in that part of the country, but to most Texans it is DII football and not worth their time. This is the sad fact of FCS foorball in Texas.

FWIW, your crowd was a lot better than I expected, and I'd imagine it will be better Friday night.

It was a nice crowd for us and hopefully it will be even better on Friday.

Bearkat-Backer
December 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
So IF we can't talk about WA-Griz, Home Field, Only show in town, Blah Blah,
Then how many National Championships or appearances in the game do the Binturongs have again or is that off limits too?

You can talk about it all you want. I never said you couldn't, but don't think that because you have more fans than a small school in Texas that you should win an award or something. As for NC titles and appearances we have zero of both, but I have a feeling that will be changing very soon.

Grizcountry420
December 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM
You can talk about it all you want. I never said you couldn't, but don't think that because you have more fans than a small school in Texas that you should win an award or something. As for NC titles and appearances we have zero of both, but I have a feeling that will be changing very soon.

Dont get your hopes up..

Bordergriz
December 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Well if you take the Texas population and and divide it by the 17 D1 schools-roughly 1,479,150 per school. I know that's not even close to accurate because of many factors, but it is still telling. My point is find another way, your reasoning doesn't hold water.

Bearkat-Backer
December 12th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Well if you take the Texas population and and divide it by the 17 D1 schools-roughly 1,479,150 per school. I know that's not even close to accurate because of many factors, but it is still telling. My point is find another way, your reasoning doesn't hold water.

See my previous posts. I don't feel like spoon feeding this stuff to you guys over and over.

Bordergriz
December 12th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Ok- I get it SHSU fans have a giant chip on their shoulder because they have been receiving zero respect from most teams outside the SLC. The SHSU football team appears to be proving everyone wrong and I think it's great. Its good for FCS the SLC and I'm loving the lack of CAA teams right now. I main gripe is with the constant BS insults you through out to Montanans because you, A FAN, feel like the SHSU PLAYERS are getting short changed.

I am probably the only one who thinks this will be a very low scoring game, you can't put these defenses together and expect any offense on either side to move the ball at will. Can't wait!

Bordergriz
December 12th, 2011, 03:39 PM
See my previous posts. I don't feel like spoon feeding this stuff to you guys over and over.

That is why I threw in the "many factors" disclaimer. I'll I'm saying is that logic is BS and you know it.

Grizzlies82
December 12th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Bearkat fans, actual football question here...

The team highlights feature your offense, and rightfully so. Though the MSU game was the first time I've seen SHSU play. In that game your defense seemed to stack the box and then either threaten a blitz or actually run one. Is that their typical approach on defense or was that something catering to MSU?

Bearkat-Backer
December 12th, 2011, 04:02 PM
That is why I threw in the "many factors" disclaimer. I'll I'm saying is that logic is BS and you know it.

This is from an earlier post...

That is not how it works in Texas. 95% of college football fans in this state grow up as fans of one of the "bigger" schools and think of anything else as DII. Even with the media coverage we have been getting the past few weeks most people still think SHSU and Montana are playing in the DII playoffs this Friday. You wouldn't beleive how many times I have to correct people here when talking about it. UM football may be a big draw in that part of the country, but to most Texans it is DII football and not worth their time. This is the sad fact of FCS foorball in Texas.

Bearkat-Backer
December 12th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Bearkat fans, actual football question here...

The team highlights feature your offense, and rightfully so. Though the MSU game was the first time I've seen SHSU play. In that game your defense seemed to stack the box and then either threaten a blitz or actually run one. Is that their typical approach on defense or was that something catering to MSU?

That is their typical approach. They will blitz more offten than not and the corners will be playing man coverage.

Grizzlies82
December 12th, 2011, 04:10 PM
That is their typical approach. They will blitz more offten than not and the corners will be playing man coverage.

Obviously you're undefeated so I'm not referring to the outcome, but...
How does that work out against a passing team? Do they then have success moving the ball on the kats via the air?

Sam_Kats
December 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
How does that work out against a passing team? Do they then have success moving the ball on the kats via the air?

Most of the Southland teams are spread. Most notably, UCA. Kats won 36-10. Not getting into a pi$$ing match here because I know the Griz hammered them too - just saying it has worked against passing teams. I think the thought process is the constant pressure on the QB from multiple angles is well worth the occasional getting beat over the top. Also helps when your offense can put up points as well.

Grizzlies82
December 12th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Most of the Southland teams are spread. Most notably, UCA. Kats won 36-10. Not getting into a pi$$ing match here because I know the Griz hammered them too - just saying it has worked against passing teams. I think the thought process is the constant pressure on the QB from multiple angles is well worth the occasional getting beat over the top. Also helps when your offense can put up points as well.

I'll be interested to see which team (neither or both?) can establish its running game. It seems the key for both schools will be to take away the opponent's ground game. I suspect we'll see several points scored off big plays by both teams but overall this should be a hard fought defensive game. Hope both teams avoid injuries and they put on a show for ESPN's viewers.

ChristopherBearkat
December 12th, 2011, 10:12 PM

The Kat D is aggressive in going after the ball. When teams have tried to pass against us it's resulted in sacks or interceptions at some point during the game. Most of the regular season, opponents couldn't get the ball off in time and their QB ended up throwing it away.

Stony Brook did have some success throwing a bunch of hail marys at the end, but it wasn't quite enough

Grizzlies82
December 13th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I'm guessing we'll see Montana throwing the ball regularly to keep the kats off balance.
Though hopefully thrown better than MSU's Irish Lad, McGhee, did.

TexasTerror
December 13th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Nice write-up from Missoulian...

What do you do with a receiver who has caught just 25 passes, but has run for 916 yards out of Sam Houston State's "Wild Bearkat" formation?

Well, for the purposes of the all-Southland Conference team, you call Richard Sincere a halfback - though nobody ever hands the ball off to him.

The 13-0 Bearkats have more weapons aside from star running back Tim Flanders that the No. 5-ranked Montana Grizzlies have to deal with Friday, in the Football Championship Subdivision semifinals.

Sincere, listed as receiver but first-team all-Southland at tailback, has to be one point of emphasis as the Griz prepare for the 6 p.m. MST kickoff in Huntsville, Texas.

Read more: http://missoulian.com/sports/catch-all/hard-to-pigeonhole-sincere-shsu-s-offense/article_f9833550-2540-11e1-bb91-001871e3ce6c.html#ixzz1gQ0jl1Wk

NSUDemon98
December 13th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Nice to see someone took care of this thread. The vulgarity level had reached a plateau (not that I don't curse) and was just getting out of hand.

With that said...I am not a SHSU fan and you don't find me rooting for the SLC as a whole too much, but after some of the comments I've read I hope Sam beats the crap out of Montana. I'm still bitter over that 2001 game up in Missoula.

Eat 'em up Kats...

Edit: Never mind, I see that thread still exists...

fencer24
December 13th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Come on! That 2001 game was a hoot!

Grizalltheway
December 13th, 2011, 09:55 AM
The Kat D is aggressive in going after the ball. When teams have tried to pass against us it's resulted in sacks or interceptions at some point during the game. Most of the regular season, opponents couldn't get the ball off in time and their QB ended up throwing it away.

Stony Brook did have some success throwing a bunch of hail marys at the end, but it wasn't quite enough

I know they got a lot of pressure on McGhee, but UM's O-line is another animal entirely. Additionally, Johnson is very good at escaping once the pocket collapses, so if you sell out on trying to get at him, you could be in trouble.

DirtyWater
December 13th, 2011, 10:01 AM
UGH!! so old when ever thread gets eaten up by the "My Team is better than your School" BS. As a Montana fan I hope they win, but I think this will be a great game to watch!! Too many of the Griz posters think they should be playing LSU in a bowl game and forget that others have the same passion for their schools as well... then it turns into an ugly thread....over and over again!!!

Griz posters need to realize that yes indeed they have lost a few games over the years!! and yes we are spoiled with the likes of Wash-Griz stadium, I love watching games there!! but lay off the BS of how "your dad can beat up their dad posts" gets old!!

on another note

Its sad that the FCS is second fiddle to "the Big Schools" when in fact the playoff system provides some of the best games ever played! I believe the last 4 teams playing will make a great Schedule for ESPN, but its so hard to find any relevant reading on FCS Football on ESPN.com or SI for that matter. Too busy catering to the power teams in FBS.

FCS schools, I believe are starting to get recognized more and more in the NFL. I always believed you didn't need to go to LSU, Florida or OSU to be drafted or play in the NFL.... following the Griz and Bobcats, we are seeing more and more get playing time at the next level

SeattleGriz
December 15th, 2011, 11:57 AM
bump

Cleets
December 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM
bump

Hey Seattle - check your PM's ya Nozzle

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hey Seattle - check your PM's ya Nozzle

While we're at it...check your gmail Cleets.

TheRevSFA
December 15th, 2011, 12:29 PM
While we're at it...check your gmail Cleets.

While we're at it..check your STDs Ursus?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM
While we're at it..check your STDs Ursus?

I will. Sorry about passing it on to you Rev. It's actually not too bad to manage with the Valtrex though.

TheRevSFA
December 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I will. Sorry about passing it on to you Rev. It's actually not too bad to manage with the Valtrex though.

The gift that keeps on giving.