PDA

View Full Version : Which semester is the NC game technically in Fall or Spring?

Twentysix
December 11th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Does anyone know the answer? A source would be appreciated.

Squealofthepig
December 11th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Does anyone know the answer? A source would be appreciated.

What's the question behind your question? (I sense there is some other matter of import behind your asking)

Twentysix
December 11th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Possible eligibility of speedy players.

Squealofthepig
December 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM

Interesting. I have no answers, just was curious as to why you were asking, and now I'm curious myself. I would assume it is the spring semester - but given how many different ways universities define "semester", it would be interesting to know how the NCAA defines it, eligibility wise.

Cleets
December 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM

I don't think they'll be able to suit up by Saturday buddy...

Twentysix
December 11th, 2011, 01:15 AM
You wish that is what I was asking about. :p

Engineer86
December 11th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Typically, the "school calendar" moves on when grades are posted/graduation is held. Think summer, after graduation Juniors are considered Seniors. I don't have a source, but there maybe something on this related to a transfer rule, as in when is a student able to first play if they transfer after the first semester or when the clock starts on sitting out for a transfer. Basketball is the best mid-year example. They might view that as the start of the next semester , while ending eligibility at the close of the prior semester.

Sorry more questions than answers, but you pose and interesting question.

eaglewraith
December 11th, 2011, 08:19 AM
The problem is that it's still the same academic year, and if someone suits up for just the NC game they've burned their eligibility for that academic year. I don't have a source but that's the way I understand how it works.

It's different if they start school early and just go through spring practice, yes their clock has started but they still can play 4 complete seasons.

I'm assuming that's what you're looking for.