PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Carolina fires HC David Bennett

T-Dog
December 9th, 2011, 08:19 PM
aka This Guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EChnZTJicw

He's been the only coach CCU has ever known since they started football in 2003.

ASU_Fanatic
December 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Dangit I wanted to be the first to say "WE'RE LOOKIN FOR DOGS"

ASU_Fanatic
December 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Western should take a look at him, lol

Seawolf97
December 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I really thought he was safe for ar least 1 season.

whoanellie
December 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM
good fit for WCU

asumike83
December 9th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I know he only had 6 DI wins and a couple of lopsided conference losses, but I am still surprised to see him get fired after a 7-4 season.

Gringer1
December 9th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I know there is always "more behind the scenes" but this seems harsh given that he built them into a respectable program in under 10 years. "The hand that feeds" and whatnot.

Squealofthepig
December 9th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I'm with ASUMike here - this seems to be a pretty short-sighted move. 7-4 is much better than 6-6 which seems to be the bar for "success" in FBS.

T-Dog
December 9th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I know there is always "more behind the scenes" but this seems harsh given that he built them into a respectable program in under 10 years. "The hand that feeds" and whatnot.

I would be shocked if there wasn't any off-field issues. You don't fire a winning coach because he didn't win enough.

Gringer1
December 9th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I would be shocked if there wasn't any off-field issues. You don't fire a winning coach because he didn't win enough.

That's kind of what I was saying. There must be a lot of classroom, disciplinary, respect, etc. issues going on. Otherwise, CCU just made a very ill advised decision.

Squealofthepig
December 9th, 2011, 11:15 PM
That's kind of what I was saying. There must be a lot of classroom, disciplinary, respect, etc. issues going on. Otherwise, CCU just made a very ill advised decision.

I'll concede this. Basing this entirely on football performance would be short-sighted. Maybe he's also a coke-fiend like Mizzou's basketball coach Quinn Snyder or something. Still, he was amusing and passionate, and hate to see anyone losing a coach like that.

MTfan4life
December 9th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Sports Network article (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4456546)

We will be forever grateful to David for shepherding our program from its beginning and developing our student-athletes into responsible members of our community.

It sounds like from the article that, even though the program is under 10 years old, four conference championships and two playoff bids is not enough for a team from the Big South Conference. The President of CC must really be making big dreams about his potential football program.

Gringer1
December 9th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Sports Network article (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4456546)

It sounds like from the article that, even though the program is under 10 years old, four conference championships and two playoff bids is not enough for a team from the Big South Conference. The President of CC must really be making big dreams about his potential football program.

The danger there is what we call "getting too big for your britches."

Squealofthepig
December 9th, 2011, 11:41 PM
The danger there is what we call "getting too big for your britches."

Definitely. This guy is a good (if a bit eccentric and odd) coach - hope he finds a good home somewhere.

OL FU
December 10th, 2011, 06:38 AM

unless you are Clemson:)

gseagle
December 10th, 2011, 06:49 AM

that's always a possibility but would be incredibly shocking if it was found to be true....bennett is highly regarded as a class act, disciplinarian, and respected in the coaching ranks through out south carolina (particularly at the high school level).

OL FU
December 10th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I am actually shocked. I guess I need to circle over to Coastalfans.com to see what they are saying

kdinva
December 10th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I am actually shocked. I guess I need to circle over to Coastalfans.com to see what they are saying
Newspaper stories w/details.............CCU spends more on FB than I personally realized.........CCU bosses expect top-15 to top-20 finishes each year.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/12/09/2542064/bennett-fired-as-head-football.html

THEN; the FB equipment manager gets fired for reportedly forging meal vouchers, meant for other Athletic Dept. personnel, and eating those meals personally.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/12/09/2541343/coastal-carolina-football-equipment.html

OL FU
December 10th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Newspaper stories w/details.............CCU spends more on FB than I personally realized.........CCU bosses expect top-15 to top-20 finishes each year.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/12/09/2542064/bennett-fired-as-head-football.html

THEN; the FB equipment manager gets fired for reportedly forging meal vouchers, meant for other Athletic Dept. personnel, and eating those meals personally.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/12/09/2541343/coastal-carolina-football-equipment.html

While there was a lot of shock on Coastal fans, it seemed like most folks thought the issue was pretty much that. That the program stopped moving forward.

smallcollegefbfan
December 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM

I won't say which player and what the deal is because this may or may not be it but I know there is a good player on their team the coaches have been protecting. I know they have kept from drug testing him and lied to people who inquire about him to protect the kid. I have to wonder if the administration knows and isn't going to tolerate coaches letting guys do whatever they want just to keep winning.

OL FU
December 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I won't say which player and what the deal is because this may or may not be it but I know there is a good player on their team the coaches have been protecting. I know they have kept from drug testing him and lied to people who inquire about him to protect the kid. I have to wonder if the administration knows and isn't going to tolerate coaches letting guys do whatever they want just to keep winning.

I hope that is not the situation but if it is I applaud the administration.

On the other hand, have they been the same way with some of the Basket ball coaches issuesxconfusedx

asumike83
December 10th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Tough break for Bennett. He did a great job with an upstart program and I doubt he will have trouble finding another job.

Plus, the ASU student section just lost a LOT of material for next year!

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Plus, the ASU student section just lost a LOT of material for next year!

That is the real tragedy here. You gotta be a dawg! Not a cat! Meow.

asumike83
December 10th, 2011, 02:06 PM
That is the real tragedy here. You gotta be a dawg! Not a cat! Meow.

http://cbskroq.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/snapz-pro-xscreensnapz0032.jpg
Meeow!

Sly Fox
December 10th, 2011, 02:10 PM
My favorite version ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luUmpQqg71E

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM
My favorite version ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luUmpQqg71E

Oh good! I think that had been taken down for a while. Good to see the dancing cat back!

SC-T-Dogg
December 10th, 2011, 02:20 PM

After 9 seasons you expect to be App St. or da Griz...........good luck! He was a good coach! Easy with those expectations.

ASU_Fanatic
December 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Let me make a prediction, they will hire Jamey Chadwell who was supposedly at the top of the WCU list. Chadwell is going to be an amazing coach one day and if I was a Catamount fan, I might be thinking they have been taking too much time. I don't think they could of hired anyone better than Chadwell, what he did at NGU was literally a miracle...they were almost a D2 version of what Western is now. If I'm WCU even though I don't even have an AD yet I would already have this guy a contract. As an App fan, I'm happy cause I never wanna lose to Western and Chadwell seems to be a tremendous young energetic coach, I know you never want to rush anything but this is just my two cents.

SC-T-Dogg
December 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Spurrier Junior?

zilla
December 10th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Spurrier Junior?

That's the hot rumor right now here in Conway.

http://www.wrhi.com/2011/12/spurrier-jr-a-target-for-coastal-carolina-23593

smallcollegefbfan
December 10th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I have asked around and it turns out this is money related. Bennett makes more than anyone there. The new President came in and did not like it and decided to get rid of Bennett. When Bennett lost to Gardner-Webb that was the monkey that broke the camel's back. If he had gone 8-3 or 9-2 he would have been retained but jealousy and the fact that he lost some games he should not have allowed this to happen.

Mr. C
December 10th, 2011, 09:47 PM
They still have to pay him $160,000 a year and he has SIX years left on his contract. At the very least there is going to be a huge settlement here.

eaglesrthe1
December 10th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I have asked around and it turns out this is money related. Bennett makes more than anyone there. The new President came in and did not like it and decided to get rid of Bennett. When Bennett lost to Gardner-Webb that was the monkey that broke the camel's back. If he had gone 8-3 or 9-2 he would have been retained but jealousy and the fact that he lost some games he should not have allowed this to happen.

Huh?

Squealofthepig
December 11th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Huh?

Monkies. They're camel-back-breakers!

I suppose you GSU guys don't like ridiculously jumbled metaphors?

gasoutherneagle
December 11th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Monkies. They're camel-back-breakers!

I suppose you GSU guys don't like ridiculously jumbled metaphors?

We're Southerners. We speak in metaphor. xlolx

Mountaineer#96
December 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM
App State shoud extend a hand....he would make a great assistant, or dare I say coach-in-waiting

asumike83
December 11th, 2011, 06:50 PM
App State shoud extend a hand....he would make a great assistant, or dare I say coach-in-waiting

Assistant? Absolutely, I would love to have him on staff. Coach in waiting? I don't think so.

I think he will land a head coaching job somewhere in the FCS ranks relatively soon.

Seawolf97
December 11th, 2011, 07:55 PM

Why pick on monkeys ?

proasu89
December 11th, 2011, 08:55 PM
aka This Guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EChnZTJicw

He's been the only coach CCU has ever known since they started football in 2003.

RIP Freddy Mercury!

Squealofthepig
December 11th, 2011, 11:31 PM
RIP Freddy Mercury!

Freddie didn't need no autotune!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/006/548/211092_242669842430795_4056741_n.jpg

bodoyle
December 14th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Ah good old AGS ;)

A lot of people here are surprised. I think most of the people are mad b/c of the way CCU went about it. CDB was out in Georgia, I believe, on a recruiting trip when the AD called him to come back and have a meeting with the Prez. A few hours later the Prez and AD had a presser. CDB was not able to let his own players know before the presser, and was not able to let the entire coaching staff know before some of them saw the conference/heard about it on social media etc.

I am excited to see who we do hire as a coach, but I will miss CDB. He is a good guy and I hope he lands on his feet.

Some people on our board have been wondering if his "reassignment", if he decides to take it, would be in fund-raising since he is well known in the community etc. Only time will tell.

Apphole
December 14th, 2011, 09:27 AM
If CCU needs more dawgs, why did they fire a coach from GA?

asumike83
December 14th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Ah good old AGS ;)

A lot of people here are surprised. I think most of the people are mad b/c of the way CCU went about it. CDB was out in Georgia, I believe, on a recruiting trip when the AD called him to come back and have a meeting with the Prez. A few hours later the Prez and AD had a presser. CDB was not able to let his own players know before the presser, and was not able to let the entire coaching staff know before some of them saw the conference/heard about it on social media etc.

I am excited to see who we do hire as a coach, but I will miss CDB. He is a good guy and I hope he lands on his feet.

Some people on our board have been wondering if his "reassignment", if he decides to take it, would be in fund-raising since he is well known in the community etc. Only time will tell.

I'd think he would be an asset to Coastal if he were able to stay on in some capacity like that, as it would likely ease the minds of your donors and help keep some recruits as well. I'm just not sure that he won't be looking for another head coaching gig, I'm sure there are plenty of schools who would have him. He built that program from the ground up, would not be surprised if Western Carolina contacts him for their re-building project.

bodoyle
December 15th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't be surprised either. I think CDB said that all he wants to do is help CCU, and he asked the AD and President how can he help, and that surprised both of them b/c they assumed, like you and I did, that he would want to GTFO and go coach somewhere else right away.

The Brief
December 15th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised either. I think CDB said that all he wants to do is help CCU, and he asked the AD and President how can he help, and that surprised both of them b/c they assumed, like you and I did, that he would want to GTFO and go coach somewhere else right away.

A true Company Man. I think he needs to take Richt's job. Especially when he gets fired after we beat the Dogs next year.