PDA

View Full Version : ESPN can suck my...

Vitojr130
December 9th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Can someone explain this?

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=1800007

ESPN told local news stations that the reason they will not be airing the FCS games on Gameplan is because Gameplan has closed up shop for the season. Apparently, directTV and the D3 semifinals have not received this notice. People in Fargo were told by CableOne that if they purchased a 2 week Gameplan package that they would be able to see every round 2 and quarterfinal game. Now they are saying, "oops, I guess ESPN isn't putting the quarterfinal games on Gameplan, so sorry! We already took your money last week though!" If only I could slap the Disney CEO in the face and tell him to suck a fat one. I feel bad for the people who actually purchased this garbage.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Can someone explain this?

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=1800007

ESPN told local news stations that the reason they will not be airing the FCS games on Gameplan is because Gameplan has closed up shop for the season. Apparently, directTV and the D3 semifinals have not received this notice. People in Fargo were told by CableOne that if they purchased a 2 week Gameplan package that they would be able to see every round 2 and quarterfinal game. Now they are saying, "oops, I guess ESPN isn't putting the quarterfinal games on Gameplan, so sorry! We already took your money last week though!" If only I could slap the Disney CEO in the face and tell him to suck a fat one. I feel bad for the people who actually purchased this garbage.

There is plenty of blame to go around. I too, am unable to see it because I have Time Warner who subscribes to ESPN3 but blocks it for its users who do not subscribe to the cable channels. Since I have DirecTV I am unable to get ESPN3 through my ISP. In Fargo, the city is to blame for giving CableOne the monopoly, CableOne is to blame for taking advantage of that monopoly to provide ridiculously low levels of service (As a 30 year resident of Fargo, I am familiar with Cablecom/CableOne's shenanigans), ESPN is responsible for this extortion racket they are running to get ESPN3 adoption and the NCAA is to blame for ceding all control of the playoffs to ESPN.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right as it were.

LehighGuy
December 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Finally, a thread we can all agree on.

veinup
December 9th, 2011, 10:51 AM
this sucks. sorry you can't see all the games you want to see. i'd like to watch all four, but with my team on espn2, i'll live..

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 10:53 AM
If you payed to see the Lehigh/NDSU game and they are saying no...call the Better Business Bureau if DTV doesn't refund the money. That is total BS!!

bisonnation
December 9th, 2011, 10:54 AM
ESPN puts actual sports coverage 2nd to profits. Basically ESPN3 owns the rights to the D1, D2, and D3 playoffs. WHen they tried to get the Georgia So and NDSU home games on TV, they said no. It's only ESPN3. We won't sell it to anyone. Turns out in many of the markets you can't get ESPN3 so they are using it as leverage to get companies to pay them and ultimately raise rates for a computer based channel.

Then they put the D2 and D3 playoffs on gameplan AND espn3. In Minnesota it's really pathetic because everyone gets ESPN3 but nobody watches the teams so they suddenly put it on gameplan.

DOes anyone believe that Georgia Southern and North Dakota State, who average a combind 40,000 fans per game are less of a draw than 2 D2 or D3 teams that barely crack 2,000 fans per game?

No. THey want money and that's it. I hope the cable companies never pony up the money to get espn3.

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 10:54 AM
There is plenty of blame to go around. I too, am unable to see it because I have Time Warner who subscribes to ESPN3 but blocks it for its users who do not subscribe to the cable channels. Since I have DirecTV I am unable to get ESPN3 through my ISP. In Fargo, the city is to blame for giving CableOne the monopoly, CableOne is to blame for taking advantage of that monopoly to provide ridiculously low levels of service (As a 30 year resident of Fargo, I am familiar with Cablecom/CableOne's shenanigans), ESPN is responsible for this extortion racket they are running to get ESPN3 adoption and the NCAA is to blame for ceding all control of the playoffs to ESPN.

That is what I dislike about the city, while West Fargo, and Moorhead can have MidContinent we are stuck with Cable One.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM

When ESPN and local cable providers war, it's the consumer who loses.

FargoBison
December 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
It isn't just gameplan, the DIII game involving St Thomas is being broadcast on local TV in MN. Explain that ESPN.

Jayjord
December 9th, 2011, 11:01 AM
If your cable provider told you this weekends games would be on when you ordered last week then it's your providers fault not ESPN. ESPN never said they would put this weekends games on gameplan. However I still agree that ESPN blows! Sorry for you that aren't able to see your teams, especially when there is nothing else on this weekend.

Vitojr130
December 9th, 2011, 11:12 AM
If your cable provider told you this weekends games would be on when you ordered last week then it's your providers fault not ESPN. ESPN never said they would put this weekends games on gameplan. However I still agree that ESPN blows! Sorry for you that aren't able to see your teams, especially when there is nothing else on this weekend.

It IS ESPN's fault for using the excuse that Gameplan is done for the season, yet they are still airing D2 and D3 games on it this weekend... There is plenty of open space for 2 more FCS games on Gameplan. I am seeing my team, as I bought a ticket. However, I have a friend who cannot now because of this fiasco.

TwoFeathers
December 9th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know for ESPN3 how soon after the game is it available via the archive? I won't be able to see the Maine/GSU game live, but want to watch the full game after. Is it immediately after the game ends?

gsu6trophies
December 9th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Does anyone care about any other sport half as much as football? Why don't they just put football on TV? Man ESPN SUCKS. Please let them go out of business

penguinpower
December 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Does anyone care about any other sport half as much as football? Why don't they just put football on TV? Man ESPN SUCKS. Please let them go out of business

They just need some good old fashioned competition.

TwoFeathers
December 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I have to say that ESPN3 is pretty good... it allowed me to have 3 games on at the same time last weekend. Quality is pretty good and if you watch via XBox360, you can pull up live scores, etc... while you're watching. Not too shabby.

kdinva
December 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM
ESPN needs to free up air space for Stuart Scott, Kobe & LeBron now..........xlovex

Cleets
December 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I have to say that ESPN3 is pretty good... it allowed me to have 3 games on at the same time last weekend. Quality is pretty good and if you watch via XBox360, you can pull up live scores, etc... while you're watching. Not too shabby.

I'd go as far as to say: ESPN3 is Excellent - I haven't missed a game

eagle07
December 9th, 2011, 11:39 AM
If you have an xbox kinect, you dont even have to take your hand off the beer and nachos to move between games and pause tv, but it may be secretly recording you during those special times.... you know the ones....... microsoft knows the ones, they are watching you and laughing.... maybe

gsu2583
December 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I'd go as far as to say: ESPN3 is Excellent - I haven't missed a game

Agree. I just hook up an HDMI cable out from my laptop to the TV. Works fine. Not always great clarity depending on bandwidth, but pretty decent.

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2011, 11:47 AM
ESPN needs to free up air space for Stuart Scott, Kobe & LeBron now..........xlovex

Really, you might be the first person I have come across that gave two *****s about the NBA at this point. I could totally care less about the NBA and the overpaid thugs they present on random weeknights, they don't even play defense anymore in that league!

stevdock
December 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM
When ESPN and local cable providers war, it's the consumer who loses.

You are absolutely right, but it is time that everyone stands up to ESPN. In my opinion they have been out of control for quite a while with NOONE standing up to them. They are about as close to a monopoly right now that you can get without being a monopoly.

It's also time for the NCAA to worry about other things than the bottom line. Their product is the game and growing their product. You can grow the product and make money at the same time. But the trick is to make BOTH grow, and by giving all rights to ESPN like this, that WILL NOT happen. ESPN is ONLY concerned with their bottom line.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 11:58 AM
You are absolutely right, but it is time that everyone stands up to ESPN. In my opinion they have been out of control for quite a while with NOONE standing up to them. They are about as close to a monopoly right now that you can get without being a monopoly.

It's also time for the NCAA to worry about other things than the bottom line. Their product is the game and growing their product. You can grow the product and make money at the same time. But the trick is to make BOTH grow, and by giving all rights to ESPN like this, that WILL NOT happen. ESPN is ONLY concerned with their bottom line.

ESPN is owned by Disney, a $38 Billion company. Tilting at windmills if you ask me. Best to stick locally.

Walkon79
December 9th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Tilting at windmills worked fairly well for the UM/MSU contingent. 90,000 of us anyway, including our two senators and lone representative. Why do you think both are on ESPN HD this week?

Walkon79
December 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM
And it does blow that GP is not an option for GSU/NDSU/Lehigh/Maine fans.

If I hear one more time how great ESPN3 is I'm just gonna hurl. Thousands across the country have no shot at getting ESPN3, but most of those folks have reliable cable or satellite TV. I just don't get it.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Tilting at windmills worked fairly well for the UM/MSU contingent. 90,000 of us anyway, including our two senators and lone representative. Why do you think both are on ESPN HD this week?

You will never get me to believe that the Max Baucus-Robert Iger personal relationship didn't have something to do with this.

Walkon79
December 9th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Might be, but I didn't see any other state getting 90,000 people involved in the cause in even the smallest way.

Vitojr130
December 9th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I wish Al Carlson's balls would drop and he would stick up for his alma mater instead of the community college up North. Why not propose a bill to make it illegal for ESPN3 or ESPN Gameplan to NOT air this game in North Dakota or elsewhere. Seemed to work for the Sioux, right? *sarcasm*

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I wish Al Carlson's balls would drop and he would stick up for his alma mater instead of the community college up North. Why not propose a bill to make it illegal for ESPN3 or ESPN Gameplan to NOT air this game in North Dakota or elsewhere. Seemed to work for the Sioux, right? *sarcasm*

He almost destroyed our athletics department. I say keep him.

Vitojr130
December 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM
He almost destroyed our athletics department. I say keep him.

I think deep down this was his intention, as he supposedly hails from NDSU and lives in Fargo. As far as I know, he has no affiliation with UND.

BisonBacker
December 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM
And it does blow that GP is not an option for GSU/NDSU/Lehigh/Maine fans.

If I hear one more time how great ESPN3 is I'm just gonna hurl. Thousands across the country have no shot at getting ESPN3, but most of those folks have reliable cable or satellite TV. I just don't get it.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

darell1976
December 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I think deep down this was his intention, as he supposedly hails from NDSU and lives in Fargo. As far as I know, he has no affiliation with UND.

I feel sorry for his district of South Fargo.

fencereagle
December 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM
ESPN is crap but complaining won't get the game back if they've really planted their feet. So it's time to find alternative solutions. From ESPN3's own FAQ page apparently ESPN3 is available on an college campus or military base network. Know anyone that goes to or works at one of those places?

http://espn.go.com/espn3/faq

"I heard that ESPN3 is free on college campuses and military bases. Is this true?

ESPN3 is available free to fans accessing the site from a college campus network in the United States or from a military base in the United States. "

Alternatively, McDonald's uses ATT for it's wifi provider, has anyone gone to McD to use the FREE wifi to see if ESPN3 works there? The same for every other wifi hotspot you can think of or the airports.

At the end of the day you can complain or you can seek an alternative solution your choice.

Vitojr130
December 9th, 2011, 02:52 PM
ESPN is crap but complaining won't get the game back if they've really planted their feet. So it's time to find alternative solutions. From ESPN3's own FAQ page apparently ESPN3 is available on an college campus or military base network. Know anyone that goes to or works at one of those places?

http://espn.go.com/espn3/faq

"I heard that ESPN3 is free on college campuses and military bases. Is this true?

ESPN3 is available free to fans accessing the site from a college campus network in the United States or from a military base in the United States. "

Alternatively, McDonald's uses ATT for it's wifi provider, has anyone gone to McD to use the FREE wifi to see if ESPN3 works there? The same for every other wifi hotspot you can think of or the airports.

At the end of the day you can complain or you can seek an alternative solution your choice.

NDSU doesn't have access to ESPN3. It is only available on select college campus's. I can only suspect that this is because NDSU has Cableone as their ISP.

Trust me, I've tried.

fencereagle
December 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM
NDSU doesn't have access to ESPN3. It is only available on select college campus's. I can only suspect that this is because NDSU has Cableone as their ISP.

Trust me, I've tried.

Have you tried other places of learning in your area like the local CCs or even high schools? Additionally, have you tried some of the locl wi-fi hotspots? You can complain or you can find a solution, which do you want to do?

Twentysix
December 9th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Trust me, I've tried.

NDSU has ESPN3. Cableone is not NDSU's ISP... its a public university. Cableone provides the campus television thats it.

Cleets
December 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM
NDSU has ESPN3. Cableone is not NDSU's ISP... its a public university. Cableone provides the campus television thats it.

Most colleges have a Broadcasting stye Head end facility

fencereagle
December 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM

Does NDSU also offer accounts to alumni? I know some colleges do and some don't.

If they do then a reasonably knowledgeable computer type person should be able to build an ssh tunnel and send ESPN3 requests through the tunnel thus appearing as coming from NDSU's IP as opposed to one's own. Proxy. This of course would be subject to NDSU's terms of service, etc and might not be something they would look pleasantly on. And shouldn't be tried if they frown on it.

My point though, is that there is an acceptable, legal answer if one looks hard enough. (I wouldn't want to suggest some of the other not so legal ways to get ESPN3 because you simply don't need them if you do the legwork to find a legitimate way.) Some of us haven't been back to the viewing area of our university is 10 years or more and have had to do all kinds of things to watch or listen to our teams of choice.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Most colleges have a Broadcasting stye Head end facility

I believe the state of north dakota has some kind of network that the entire NDUS uses... I would guess its based out of UND as most state technology related funds/grants are sent to UND. I think all or most of the HS's in the state also use this network for their internet and for the Interactive TV classrooms. I do know for sure my dorm room internet speeds in 07 were about 100 times faster than the best connection cableone offered at that time.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Does NDSU also offer accounts to alumni? I know some colleges do and some don't.

If they do then a reasonably knowledgeable computer type person should be able to build an ssh tunnel and send ESPN3 requests through the tunnel thus appearing as coming from NDSU's IP as opposed to one's own. Proxy. This of course would be subject to NDSU's terms of service, etc and might not be something they would look pleasantly on. And shouldn't be tried if they frown on it.

My point though, is that there is an acceptable, legal answer if one looks hard enough. (I wouldn't want to suggest some of the other not so legal ways to get ESPN3 because you simply don't need them if you do the legwork to find a legitimate way.) Some of us haven't been back to the viewing area of our university is 10 years or more and have had to do all kinds of things to watch or listen to our teams of choice.

I believe there is a way to get an NDSU email account as an alumni, if that is what you are talking about. ISP accounts no they do not as far as I know.

fencereagle
December 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I believe there is a way to get an NDSU email account as an alumni, if that is what you are talking about. ISP accounts no they do not as far as I know.

It would need to be a full computer account not just email. GSU likewise only offers email I believe but I know some others are much nicer to their alums. Perhaps a call to the NDSU IT staff is in order to ask if they would be able to help out with the likelihood games will be difficult to watch for some alums. ESPN doesn't want to help so start asking others that might be able to do something.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2011, 03:21 PM
NDSU receives Internet access from STAGEnet, the State of North Dakota's data network. The bandwidth provided by the state is a shared resource; therefore, NDSU is charged for exceeding its bandwidth limit.

http://www.ndsu.edu/resnet/

They do not offer anything like that fencer. However, anyone who wants to watch espn3 can pretty easily borrow a login from bv so long as they ask in the right way.

jwmann2
December 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Cable and Satellite are so cut-throat it's ridiculous. I used to upsell all home services to new home owners.
One thing the cable company never tells you is that there is no price lock guarantee. Your cable bill will fluctuate and you only get the most basic channels. Satellite monthly bills stay the same no matter what.
The NCAA is all about money. The NFL is no better. Look at their blackout rule. It's a disgrace.