PDA

View Full Version : Loss of CUSA Teams, Could App State/ Ga. Southern Join?

jgthatsme
December 8th, 2011, 12:20 PM
si.com reports that Conference USA has lost Houston, SMU and UCF to the Big East.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/12/07/big-east-expansion.ap/index.html?sct=cf_t2_a9

Any news or thoughts on App State and Georgia Southern making the jump?

Twentysix
December 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Not at all, That conference is gonna be huge once the merger is complete, and if they are granted the 7th BCS conference app doesnt have a prayer.

asumike83
December 8th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Assuming that they are going to be in the market for East Coast teams, it is an outside possibility but doubtful in my opinion. ECU would have to lobby real hard for us.

TexasTerror
December 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
See this thread... current talks of all sports merger b/t C-USA and MWC...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?96710-C-USA-MWC-Merger

jgthatsme
December 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
thanks jackass

mainejeff
December 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM
If they want their football programs to fade into oblivion........yes, they should join.

49RFootballNow
December 8th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure who inside the MWC/CUSA are lobbying for an all-sports merger but I doubt it's Terry Holland. He was already upset about having to send the olympic sports out to Tulsa, El Paso and Dallas. There's no way he wants to send them to Boulder, Fresno and Las Vegas. We'll see how it flys but no one involved with the far east CUSA schools can be too happy about this.

ASU_Fanatic
December 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
A year or two ago I was fully behind the move to FBS, not anymore however. We need to stay put, I don't want to end up like UAB or a team like that. To win in the C-USA we would have to go to head-to-head with ECU for some of the top players in the area and simply ECU would probably have an advantage over us for most players. Also teams like MTSU, Marshall, etc teams we would have to out-recruit.

Eaglegus2
December 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Georgia Southern will stay where they are. No need to destroy our program. We love being hated by App State.

AppMan
December 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
A year or two ago I was fully behind the move to FBS, not anymore however. We need to stay put, I don't want to end up like UAB or a team like that. To win in the C-USA we would have to go to head-to-head with ECU for some of the top players in the area and simply ECU would probably have an advantage over us for most players. Also teams like MTSU, Marshall, etc teams we would have to out-recruit.

I sure am glad our administration doesn't have this Chicken Little defeatist attitude. You do realize all three of these schools were on the same level as ASU at one time and ASU is in far better shape to make the jump than any of them when they moved up.

ASU_Fanatic
December 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I sure am glad our administration doesn't have this Chicken Little defeatist attitude. You do realize all three of these schools were on the same level as ASU at one time and ASU is in far better shape to make the jump than any of them when they moved up.
I mean, I'll be fine if we move up but the more I think about it, I like how we are arguably the most well known FCS team right now and we have been a powerhouse as of late, why move up? I'd rather keep winning national championships than going 7-6 and considering it a solid season.

mainejeff
December 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Why would anyone want to move up right now with all of the upheaval that is taking place in the FBS??? Wait until the BCS 4 are finished their expansions and let the dust settle.......

Sly Fox
December 8th, 2011, 09:36 PM
If your goal is to move up, you go when opportunity arises. End of story. Who knows how long it will be before an FBS league grants invitations to FCS schools? It could be a couple of years or a decade or more.

seantaylor
December 8th, 2011, 11:45 PM
GSU should have already moved up. But we have a retarded rube as an AD that has set the program back at least a decade. This hayseed put a soccer stadium in our tailgate lot and low balled an endzone building 5 years ago. Now, both will be replaced. And he still has a job after bidgate.