PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Student Campout

DJKyR0
December 7th, 2011, 12:18 PM
As some of you may have heard, a group of students have started a weekly campout at the Fargodome in anticipation for NDSU's playoff games. The first one went great last weekend and the group is kicking it up again this Friday prior to the Lehigh game. Thought some of you might enjoy this column I wrote on it about six students putting their Bison Pride on display and braving the elements to support their team.

http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=757

Vitojr130
December 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Hey I have a huge 9 person tent, but I do not have any space heaters or anything like that. The low on Friday is -5. Heaters would be necessary. Any recommendations? This might be a possibility this time around.

BisonLakes
December 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Occupy Fargo!

AmsterBison
December 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hey I have a huge 9 person tent, but I do not have any space heaters or anything like that. The low on Friday is -5. Heaters would be necessary. Any recommendations? This might be a possibility this time around.

I suggest 8 women. Space heaters = death.

DJKyR0
December 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM

We've got a spare if you'd like, might get chilly but we'll take the extra folks.

DJKyR0
December 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Occupy Fargo!

We'd prefer to a void being maced, if possible.

Cleets
December 7th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I suggest 8 women. Space heaters = death.

Both actually equal death...
One's just slower than the other and becomes a burning pit of fire... (and that's the women)

(I'm here all week)

Rob Iola
December 7th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Renaissance Festival in town?

darell1976
December 7th, 2011, 02:46 PM
As some of you may have heard, a group of students have started a weekly campout at the Fargodome in anticipation for NDSU's playoff games. The first one went great last weekend and the group is kicking it up again this Friday prior to the Lehigh game. Thought some of you might enjoy this column I wrote on it about six students putting their Bison Pride on display and braving the elements to support their team.

http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=757

Just stay off of 19th...I don't want to run over some Bisons on my way to work.xlolx

Strommer10
December 7th, 2011, 03:24 PM
All students are welcome, we are looking at 3 tent groups right now. We have received multiple donations from alumni and now Erberts & Gerberts(local sub shop) will be dropping off some free subs on free for those who come.

Ginsbach
December 7th, 2011, 03:38 PM

You don't need heaters to camp out in that sort of weather. Just a semi-decent sleeping bag.

There's a group from NDSU that camps out in colder weather for longer periods of time every fall:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180366_493511582956_36237047956_6215589_5626463_n. jpg

I mean, look at the gorgeous campsite:
http://hphotos-sea1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/167206_493512182956_36237047956_6215599_8131081_n. jpg

SpeedkingATL
December 7th, 2011, 04:01 PM
That's the kind of Occupy I can support!

darell1976
December 7th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Fargo lows:

Wed night 10
Thurs night -1
Friday night 7

No snow on the ground will keep the extreme cold out but a little breezy tonight so pack the thermo underwear!

Cleets
December 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM
How can people live in that..!!!
It's 45 degrees in Redmond right now and I think it's COLD..!!!

darell1976
December 7th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Because we are tough people up here. Kids walk to school when the wind chills are -50 and temps are -30. They don't shut the city down if we get 3 inches like the southern states. Snow and cold is a part of our lives for at least 5 months out of the year. Either you live to deal with it or you become a snowbird.

darell1976
December 7th, 2011, 04:30 PM
From Facebook:

At 65 degrees, Arizonans turn on the heat. People in North Dakota plant gardens.
At 60, Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in North Dakota sunbathe.
At 50, Italian & English cars won't start. People in North Dakota drive with the windows down..
At 40, Georgians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in North Dakota throw on a flannel shirt.
At 35, New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in North Dakota have the last cookout before it gets cold.
At 20, People in Miami all die. North Dakotans close their windows.
At 0, Californians fly away to Mexico . People in North Dakota get out their winter coats.
At 10 below zero, Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in North Dakota are selling cookies door to door.
At 20 below, Washington DC runs out of hot air. (Ya think? Nah.). People in North Dakota let their dogs sleep indoors.
At 30 below, Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. North Dakota get upset because they can't start the snowmobile.
At 40 below, ALL atomic motion stops. People in North Dakota start saying..."Cold enough for ya, eh?"
At 50 below, hell freezes over. North Dakota public schools will open 2 hours late...if you're lucky!!!

Strommer10
December 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM
From Facebook:

At 65 degrees, Arizonans turn on the heat. People in North Dakota plant gardens.
At 50, Italian & English cars won't start. People in North Dakota drive with the windows down..
At 40, Georgians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in North Dakota throw on a flannel shirt.
At 35, New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in North Dakota have the last cookout before it gets cold.
At 0, Californians fly away to Mexico . People in North Dakota get out their winter coats.
At 10 below zero, Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in North Dakota are selling cookies door to door.
At 20 below, Washington DC runs out of hot air. (Ya think? Nah.). People in North Dakota let their dogs sleep indoors.
At 30 below, Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. North Dakota get upset because they can't start the snowmobile.
At 40 below, ALL atomic motion stops. People in North Dakota start saying..."Cold enough for ya, eh?"
At 50 below, hell freezes over. North Dakota public schools will open 2 hours late...if you're lucky!!!

xlmaox xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Vitojr130
December 7th, 2011, 04:40 PM
From Facebook:

All of these are true, except I still keep my window open at night. I sleep better when it's cold. I have to shut my window during the day, but it takes a hair dryer to unfreeze it from the frame to move it. Back in the high school days, we had a day that it hit -46 and the windchill brought it down to -75. That is the day I broke my first car.... I didn't let it warm up long enough and the engine blocks blew up as soon as I hit the gas. That was leaving high school after a FULL day of classes.... Also, it only takes 1/2" (not 3") to close school for a few days in the South. To reference this, see any snowfall event in Texas.

Cleets
December 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I was driving through North Dakota 4 years ago in Mid-December (Boston to Seattle) and I noticed people driving around with their ****ing windows down...
and it was in the 30's - and not like two cars with their windows down - I mean like lots of people, fully half the cars...

WTF..!!!! Tou guys are NUTZ

darell1976
December 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I was driving through North Dakota 4 years ago in Mid-December (Boston to Seattle) and I noticed people driving around with their ****ing windows down...
and it was in the 30's - and not like two cars with their windows down - I mean like lots of people, fully half the cars...

That was me. Radio up, window down, and heat on.

GradBison
December 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM

Ahh the 2007 December heat wave! That was a good time. ;)

Vitojr130
December 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
That was me. Radio up, window down, and heat on.

This ^ is accurate.

Cleets
December 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM
The guy at the gas station in Bismarck, when I pointed this out (Everybody with their windows down in Mid-December) said, in a droll matter of fact tone as though he were discussing something completely obvious "It's sunny out..."
So I'm thinking to myself - Don't these people know it's 30 degrees - they're all crazy out here

darell1976
December 7th, 2011, 04:57 PM
The guy at the gas station in Bismarck, when I pointed this out (Everybody with their windows down in Mid-December) said, in a droll matter of fact tone as though he were discussing something completely obvious "It's sunny out..."
So I'm thinking to myself - Don't these people know it's 30 degrees - they're all crazy out here

If its 30 in mid January the shorts come on!!

Vitojr130
December 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM

... I'm wearing shorts as we speak. It's also 30 degrees outside as we speak...

darell1976
December 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM
... I'm wearing shorts as we speak. It's also 30 degrees outside as we speak...

Its really nice out!!!

Ginsbach
December 7th, 2011, 05:04 PM

It was 40 here the other day and I wore shorts. Pretty much everyone asked me if I was crazy.

Guess the fact that I'm a 4th generation North Dakotan has something to do with it...

TonkaBison
December 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM

I grew up in Tacoma, WA when it is 45 degrees out there in that damp weather it is frigging freezing. I'll take zero degrees out here any day over that!

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I grew up in Tacoma, WA when it is 45 degrees out there in that damp weather it is frigging freezing. I'll take zero degrees out here any day over that!

Troof. Humidity/rain with those temps is pretty miserable.

heath
December 7th, 2011, 08:01 PM
one option................
apply to a better school where the weather is much better,so sunny and 38 degrees is not beach weather-assuming you can get into a better school. Fargo is a nice place to visit in Julyxthumbsupx

BisonBohl
December 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM
apply to a better school where the weather is much better,so sunny and 38 degrees is not beach weather-assuming you can get into a better school. Fargo is a nice place to visit in Julyxthumbsupx

But then we cant watch this years soon to be National Champions!:D:D:D

bojeta
December 7th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Love the Bison, but I couldn't help myself :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/occupy-ndsu.jpg

Cleets
December 7th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I laughed... xlolx

AmsterBison
December 7th, 2011, 09:38 PM

If you do get maced, request the spicy cinnamon flavor... good with your hot chocolate.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM

Another option. Stay in the south if you're a pussy.

MTfan4life
December 7th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Is this an example of quality sentence structure in the South? I want to get into this "better school." Any application technique advice would be useful.

Ivytalk
December 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Love the Bison, but I couldn't help myself :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/College%20Sports/occupy-ndsu.jpg

LMAO!

Hammerhead
December 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM
One of the foreign students in one of my classes thought it was funny that all of the brochures about NDSU featured green grass and lots of flowers. Somehow they never mentioned the brutally cold winters. :)

Vitojr130
December 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM
It's 30 or so outside right now and I am wearing a T-shirt. It's nice in the sun!

Gringer1
December 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Don't all NDSU students have to "camp out" because there are no fixed structures in that part of Canada? ;) I'm just keeding, just keeding.

Strommer10
December 10th, 2011, 09:43 AM
We made it through night and are ready for some football! We got one of our tents up above 70 degrees last night. It's nice wearing only shorts and a tshirt when its single digits outside the tent. :D xlolx

darell1976
December 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM
We made it through night and are ready for some football! We got one of our tents up above 70 degrees last night. It's nice wearing only shorts and a tshirt when its single digits outside the tent. :D xlolx

Thats a nice heater.

Engineer86
December 10th, 2011, 10:00 AM
This is a great thread, god bless you guys that you deal with this weather. I am really impressed with students camping out in that "balmy" (per ND) 10 degree weather. This helps offset the aggravating Spadola threads.

No wonder the upper west/midwest(?) loves their FCS football, anything to forget the tempature.

Go Lehigh, but I gotta respect the toughness.

Cleets
December 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM
That is impressive...
any temperature with the first digit lower than a 4_ and I'm inside with the heat on