PDA

View Full Version : Jamey Chadwell to WCU?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 6th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I found this out on footballscoop today. WCU fans, your thoughts. I know that you (WCU) want to hire a new AD before you hire your next football coach. I know this gentleman personally since he was in one of my classes at ETSU.

Personally, I really hope he sticks around at NGU at least one more year until the football situation at ETSU is settled (new AD gets hired/Noland announces return of football to ETSU). That way, Chadwell would be a prime candidate to lead its return. If both happens, I also hope Chadwell has Bobby Wilder's personality.

Cats4life
December 6th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I think I would be happy with this hire, he has had success at NGU and i think he would work hard to turn around the program. Still
my number one coach would be Kerwin Bell from JU. But I am also a Florida Gator Fan and was born in Jacksonville so maybe I just want to see him be successful and would love for that success to come at my school, problem is we need an AD first gotta stay one step at time.

T-Dog
December 6th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I'd be hesitant about hiring another D2 coach. They haven't really worked out in the SoCon recently (Wagner, Hatcher).

Also, it is a foregone conclusion that Noland will bring back football?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 7th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I'd be hesitant about hiring another D2 coach. They haven't really worked out in the SoCon recently (Wagner, Hatcher).

Also, it is a foregone conclusion that Noland will bring back football?

One can only hope but given the buzz in the Tri-Cities, I would place even odds of football returning. That goes way up once Mullins (the unpopular AD at ETSU) is gone.

Smitty
December 7th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Man I was hoping for Urban Meyer but my dream fell through when he picked the Ohio St. job. Heard WCU was a close second though...

SpeedkingATL
December 7th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Man I was hoping for Urban Meyer but my dream fell through when he picked the Ohio St. job. Heard WCU was a close second though...

Nah, Meyer would quit on you after one year sighting family and health issues. Now Kerwin Bell is someone that could build the program.

boonegoon
December 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Tressell?

ASU_Fanatic
December 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Dang I didn't want him doing there, I think he's gonna be a star coach one day. He needs to wait for a better job. One more year and he should be able to get a nice FCS job.

eagle07
December 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
While we are on the WCU subject....

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs#/detail/4582349

Feel free to apply for the Athletic Director position friends LOL, seems just strange to have a job that important simply posted on a website

ASU_Fanatic
December 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Feel free to apply for the Athletic Director position friends LOL, seems just strange to have a job that important simply posted on a websiteSweet, I might as well throw my name in the hat. I think I would have a great shot if it weren't for my age....might be a bit unexperienced

eagle07
December 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Sweet, I might as well throw my name in the hat. I think I would have a great shot if it weren't for my age....might be a bit unexperienced

I don't think you could do any worse than last guy

ASU_Fanatic
December 7th, 2011, 03:02 PM
My first move would be calling Jim Tressell for HC, if he doesn't work I'll name Jerry Sandusky the coach in waiting for when he gets out of jail.

eagle07
December 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM
oooooo Sandusky would generate alot of buzz

T-Dog
December 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM
How about Rod Broadway? He's clearly a coach on the rise and it would be possibly the best hire WCU could make.

Smitty
December 8th, 2011, 07:20 AM

Feel free to apply for the Athletic Director position friends LOL, seems just strange to have a job that important simply posted on a website

Well it is a NCAA job site. A lot of other universities have the athletic director position posted. Besides this gives more exposure and a better selection pool...

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 12th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Found this out this morning via footballscoop.

Western Carolina: We hear that Western Carolina will select and announce their new athletic director early this week.

asumike83
December 12th, 2011, 06:35 PM
How about Rod Broadway? He's clearly a coach on the rise and it would be possibly the best hire WCU could make.

That would be an excellent hire.

ASU_Fanatic
December 12th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Broadway and Chadwell would be the two best hires, I think Chadwell would definitely accept but would Broadway? It is his first year at A&T and idk if he would leave after one season. I guess it all depends on money but you couldn't go wrong with Chadwell or Broadway. Broadway has won everywhere he has been and knows NC very well, but there's a difference between winning in the MEAC and winning in the SoCon. I still like Chadwell, he is young and the situation he walked into at North Greenville is similar to what he would be walking into in Cullowhee.

Looks like Randy Eaton of Maryland and Tom Kleinlein of Kent State are thef finalists for the AD position. Kleinlein would seem to bring in the focus of putting football first while Eaton is ore of an all around guy, that being said, from what I've read I like Kleinlein better. The last coaching hire Eaton was a part of he hired Randy Edsall to Maryland and that program is a mess now. Kleinlein wants to increase the overall football atmosphere in Cullowhee and I was reading the "Catamount Pride" forums and over there one guy said he would like to see more indoor tailgating like providing new sports bars around the campus which that school could really use. I've done a lot of research into this, I really want to see WCU good again for multiple reasons.

http://blogs2.citizen-times.com/jarrett/

T-Dog
December 12th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Found this out this morning via footballscoop.

Western Carolina: We hear that Western Carolina will select and announce their new athletic director early this week.

Apparently it's this guy.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/md/sports/genrel/auto_headshot/1300609.jpeg

Randy Eaton
Senior Associate A.D. / New Revenue, Facilities & Operations

Randy Eaton has been named Maryland's senior associate athletics director for new revenue, facilites and operations. In this role, he will be responsible for developing new revenue streams for the Terrapin athletics department, including the exploration of cultural and musical events, such as concerts, to the athletics facilities. He will also oversee any construction projects on athletics facilities, and will have oversight on Maryland's facilities, operations and events unit.

Eaton will also have sports supervisor responsibilities for women's lacross and field hockey.

Eaton, who served as interim director of athletics in the summer of 2010, served as the chair of the search committee that brought head football coach Randy Edsall to campus in January 2011. He has served on numerous committees across campus and is the liaison for athletics on a number of campus fiscal operating groups. He came to College Park as the associate athletics director for business in May 2003, after three years as the associate A.D. for facilities, operations and special events at the University of Houston. Eaton is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Terrapin athletics business office. He was named senior associate athletics director and CFO in July 2008.

Eaton has over 20 years of experience in collegiate athletics, having spent time at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, East Tennessee University, Ohio State and UT-San Antonio.

While at East Tennessee, Eaton served in various capacities as Athletic Business/Ticket Manager, Associate Athletic Director for Compliance, Interim Director of Athletics and the Associate Athletic Director for Business Operations. He was in charge of all components of internal operations and was accountable for all departmental budgets and oversaw event management and event staff. Eaton was also the Director of Ticket Operations for the Ohio Glory of the World League Football, where he supervised the front office staff and was responsible for all aspects of the team's ticket operations.

Eaton earned a BBA in business administration from UT- San Antonio in 1990 and a master's of arts degree in sports administration from Ohio State in 1992. He and his wife, Jeannette, are parents of one daughter, Alex.

http://www.umterps.com/school-bio/md-administrators.html

catamount man
December 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I won't blame the 2011 Terps debacle of a football season on Eaton as Edsall will turn that team around. Looking forward to brand new leadership and a man that will HOLD COACHES ACCOUNTABLE.xthumbsupx

ASU_Fanatic
December 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I won't blame the 2011 Terps debacle of a football season on Eaton as Edsall will turn that team around. Looking forward to brand new leadership and a man that will HOLD COACHES ACCOUNTABLE.xthumbsupxI thought Maryland was making a good hire, I just never understood for the life of me why they fired Fridgen (spelling?)...anyone that can turn UConn into a consistent winner should be able to eventually do the same at Maryland, but I never dreamed he would have THAT bad of a year. You guys need to have your coach by Christmas and if I were Eaton the only two guys on my list would be Broadway and Chadwell, honestly.

e: Just from what I read, I liked Kleinlein better as it sounded like he has more new and exciting ideas to improve the overall atmosphere on Saturdays in Cullowhee, Eaton is more experienced but I just think Kleinlein sounded like the flashier hire. I definitely think 80% of Kleinlein's focus would be on football, but as a fan I think I would rather have a consistent playoff team than average programs across the board. Eaton could end up doing an amazing job and I hope he does, I just know who I would of hired when looking at paper.

catamount man
December 13th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I liked Kleinlein better from what I read as well. Both are an improvement from what we've had however. As far as coaches go, Chadwell is my personal fave. The turnaround at NGU, and they'll love this, is akin to Biblical proportions. They were NOTHING.

Smitty
December 13th, 2011, 07:23 AM
While I agree that Kleinlein sounds like a better football AD, I think we need an AD that has experience with everything. At least this way all the sports benefit. I will support either one just to be honest...

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 13th, 2011, 05:25 PM
The buzz is that Mark Speir (LB coach/recruiting coordinator at ASU) is also on the short list for the WCU head coach position.

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM
The buzz is that Mark Speir (LB coach/recruiting coordinator at ASU) is also on the short list for the WCU head coach position.I woul be extremely cautious about hiring him.

jawbone2jawbone
December 14th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I heard someone mention Mike Sewak (former Georgia Southern head coach and now assistant with Paul Johnson at Ga. Tech) as a possible head coach. I for one, hope not. I don't want to see another option team in the Socon.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Tressell?

GSU wouldn't mind that. :)

Smitty
December 14th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Just announced that Randy Eaton is the new AD at Western Carolina.

http://www.catamountsports.com/genrel/121411aab.html

Smitty
December 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Wow he just said he wants a coach before Christmas.

Cats4life
December 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM
One name im hearing a lot is Tony Annese for head coach he is currently at Grand Rapids College and he has lost one regular season game there in his 3 years, he has 5 juco all americans and he has a career coaching record of 226-44. Also he is 3-0 against georgia military which is a feeder school for a lot of app guys. He created his own offense called the ski gun (go look at it on youtube its a good looking offense). His current team is posting over 500 yards and 50 points per game on offense and holding the other team to an average of about 17. Finally here is a quote from Annese about WCU "I will not need a multi-year contract at Western Carolina. I will change the culture there so fast it will shock everyone. Sounds like someone that could create a buzz here in Cullowhee

boonegoon
December 14th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I woul be extremely cautious about hiring him.

Why is that?

TheRevSFA
December 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I hear JoePa needs a gig.....

Smitty
December 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I hear JoePa needs a gig.....

If he wasn't a heart attack away... probably no still...

asumike83
December 14th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I wonder if they will look at Bennett? He did a nice job with a start-up at Coastal, which would bode well for his ability to re-build a struggling WCU program.

ASU_Fanatic
December 14th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Why is that?I just think that there are better options on the table for WCU, guys like Broadway, Chadwell, and Annese have all built up programs from the cellar before and know what it takes to rebuild. Spier has never been a head coach before and I just don't like that fit at all, he would be better to just wait around here and go for the job when JM retires. The plus with Spier though, is that he knows the area and where to get players, that's a huge plus. I still think WCU is going to struggle heavily to ever get players over App St, even if our recruiting coordinator is at Western. Just my two cents.

The Brief
December 14th, 2011, 03:33 PM
One name im hearing a lot is Tony Annese for head coach he is currently at Grand Rapids College and he has lost one regular season game there in his 3 years, he has 5 juco all americans and he has a career coaching record of 226-44. Also he is 3-0 against georgia military which is a feeder school for a lot of app guys. He created his own offense called the ski gun (go look at it on youtube its a good looking offense). His current team is posting over 500 yards and 50 points per game on offense and holding the other team to an average of about 17. Finally here is a quote from Annese about WCU "I will not need a multi-year contract at Western Carolina. I will change the culture there so fast it will shock everyone. Sounds like someone that could create a buzz here in Cullowhee

Sounds impressive. I think that's what a struggling program like WCU needs right now, not a cookie-cutter PC "I'm just here to field the best team possible and be competitive in (Insert Random Conference)" Coach.

catamount man
December 14th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Talked to a former coach at WCU tonight that told me a high school coach in NC may have been contacted by Chadwell about joining the staff at WCU should Chadwell get it.

The Cats
December 14th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I wonder if they will look at Bennett? He did a nice job with a start-up at Coastal, which would bode well for his ability to re-build a struggling WCU program.

I doubt that Bennett would be interested, CCU owes him in excess of 200k per year, for the next 6 years.

ASU_Fanatic
December 19th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Everything I've read makes me think there is about a 90% chance that Chadwell will be WCU's next coach, aka, expect the announcement at anytime.

catamount man
December 20th, 2011, 06:17 AM
From what I have now been told, Chadwell is not of the final 2 candidates. The announcemnt of new coach should be made known no later than Friday. xthumbsupx

ASU_Fanatic
December 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
From what I have now been told, Chadwell is not of the final 2 candidates. The announcemnt of new coach should be made known no later than Friday. xthumbsupxWell who did you hear? No, you're not going to die if you tell us...

olejack
December 20th, 2011, 02:54 PM
One can only hope but given the buzz in the Tri-Cities, I would place even odds of football returning. That goes way up once Mullins (the unpopular AD at ETSU) is gone.

BlackNGold, what is the buzz you're talking about? I've talked with a few folks that say they are in the know and they don't have any solid info that Noland is bringing back football at ETSU. I'm in the tri-cities and haven't heard anything so what's the scoop?

catamount man
December 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Well who did you hear? No, you're not going to die if you tell us...

Can't do it. One interview was yesterday, the other one was today. The one today was the best one yet coming from my WNC sources.xthumbsupx

ASU_Fanatic
December 20th, 2011, 08:48 PM
pm me

ASU_Fanatic
December 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Oh, just read you message boards, Speir was the one that got interviewed today.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM
BlackNGold, what is the buzz you're talking about? I've talked with a few folks that say they are in the know and they don't have any solid info that Noland is bringing back football at ETSU. I'm in the tri-cities and haven't heard anything so what's the scoop?

There is an organization called the Buc Football and Friends Foundation, whose sole purpose is to persuade ETSU to bring back football (www.bucfootball.com). They have met with a bunch of folks in high places (not sure if they met with Dr. Noland, but they will in the foreseeable future). One of the posters left the last meeting very encouraged. I don't live in the Tri-Cities, but if I did, I would be attending these meetings and you would hearing about them on this board.

Smitty
December 21st, 2011, 07:47 AM
WCU To Announce NEW Head Football Coach Thursday.