PDA

View Full Version : Do the SoCon OFFICIALS want Coastal?

SoCon48
May 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
Still haven't found anywhere where a SoCon OFFICIAL has stated that CCU was a leading candidate.
Lots of fans have said this, but still haven't found a quote in any newpaper interview stating this.Only thing I found was something about...they would have to be considered.

walliver
May 23rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Since the new commisioner arrived, I haven't heard much through the grapevine (even though I drive by the SoCon headquarters every day). I heard about interest in Coastal several years ago, but haven't heard much since then. I have heard or read nothing specific about Coastal, pro or con, lately.

I have heard talk of expanding to 14 members, but that seems like a lot to me. I would prefer asking the non-football schools to leave, and have a conference where everybody plays everybody else every year in every available sport.

OL FU
May 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Since the new commisioner arrived, I haven't heard much through the grapevine (even though I drive by the SoCon headquarters every day). I heard about interest in Coastal several years ago, but haven't heard much since then. I have heard or read nothing specific about Coastal, pro or con, lately.

I have heard talk of expanding to 14 members, but that seems like a lot to me. I would prefer asking the non-football schools to leave, and have a conference where everybody plays everybody else every year in every available sport.

Next time you drive by, stop and ask them the dates of the spring meeting.

or at least tell them to post it on their website for all of us interested parties

Tealblood
May 23rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
The list of schools being considered for the SOCON can't be to long. And of those we are more ready than the others. I know you ASU folk disagree. And by being ready I don't just refer to football. Because in your opinion we will never be ready to challenge the top or even the middle of the SOCON football teams.
We are ready in that we are prolly more title IX compliant than most of the SOCON right now.
I know that Presbyterian is wanting in but they don't just need to upgrade football but they need to add womens sports.
Gardner-Webb the Big South will not take them as a full member- its not for lack of them trying.
Winthrop great BBall-no football anytime in the future
UNC-Wilmington- same as Winthrop
Samford- would lose rivals already developed

asu70
May 23rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
The list of schools being considered for the SOCON can't be to long. And of those we are more ready than the others. I know you ASU folk disagree. And by being ready I don't just refer to football. Because in your opinion we will never be ready to challenge the top or even the middle of the SOCON football teams.
We are ready in that we are prolly more title IX compliant than most of the SOCON right now.
I know that Presbyterian is wanting in but they don't just need to upgrade football but they need to add womens sports.
Gardner-Webb the Big South will not take them as a full member- its not for lack of them trying.

I know ASU fans that are not against CCU coming into the Socon including myself; so please do not lump all App fans together when you hear a few take a certain stand on an issue because we have over 80,000 alumni.

rokamortis
May 23rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
please do not lump all App fans together when you hear a few take a certain stand on an issue because we have over 80,000 alumni.

That's a good point in general - a lot of times the only thing some fans have in common is the school they cheer for.

Tealblood
May 23rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
You really think you have 80,000 alums that sounds like a lot

HiHiYikas
May 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
You really think you have 80,000 alums that sounds like a lot
Actually, it's 83,467 through August, '05. Probably around 85,000 with the last round of graduations.

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/AlumniMap/framemap.htm

CoastalFan2005
May 23rd, 2006, 08:20 PM
...please do not lump all App fans together...

I agree with rok's post just above this one.

"Lumping" happens an awful lot, though. Anymore it's pointless to argue it. It's like this smiley: :bang:

Tealblood
May 23rd, 2006, 08:32 PM
Is the definition of alumni actual grads or those who have attended a class or 2

SoCon48
May 23rd, 2006, 08:48 PM

I still have never saw nor heard a SoCon official quoted as saying Coastal was a leading candidate. That's my whole point. Whether I want Coastal or not is not my point. Neither are rumors of interest.

SoCon48
May 23rd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Actually, it's 83,467 through August, '05. Probably around 85,000 with the last round of graduations.

Good post.

gvilleapp
May 23rd, 2006, 08:55 PM
Gee, I don't know what "alumni" means to folks down at the grand strand, but in the upstate and the mountains, alumni means that you were granted either an undergraduate or graduate degree.

BTW, I would love to have Coastal in the SoCon. Really committed to building a first class football program. I've only driven by your stadium on the way to Garden City, but it looks very nice from the highway. Good luck in '06. Hope we can get you on the schedule down the line. How does a two for one series starting in '07 sound? Have your people call my people.

LeopardFan04
May 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM

cool map, never saw anything like that for any other school (haven't looked too hard though)...26 in my county...better watch what I say! :rotateh:

rokamortis
May 23rd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Is the definition of alumni actual grads or those who have attended a class or 2

I consider an alum usually as someone that holds a degree, but the formal definition is someone who graduated or attended classes. But when you see reference to official numbers then they will be the ones with degrees. Can you imagine how many people they would have if you included everyone?
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=alumni

85,000 alumni isn't an unreasonable number considering the size and age of App State.

R.A.
May 24th, 2006, 04:25 AM
-Having Coastal in the SoCon would be good for the school... and also for the MEAC. Coastal isn't shy about playing MEAC schools. CCU even has a developing rivalry with SCSU. MEAC schools playing SoCon schools helps our conference Strength of Schedule. I say go for it CCU, and good luck.

Tealblood
May 24th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I was just saying considering the age of App. it sounded high

OL FU
May 24th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I still have never saw nor heard a SoCon official quoted as saying Coastal was a leading candidate. That's my whole point. Whether I want Coastal or not is not my point. Neither are rumors of interest.

I have read lots of articles on the subject and I don't THINK there has ever been a statement on leading candidates.

I do recall CCU and Samford being mentioned specifically by a SoCon official. So I suppose one could infer those two are leading candidates if interested.

I cannot imagine why Samford would be interested without other Alabama or Tenn teams joining

SoCon48
May 24th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Still haven't found anywhere where a SoCon OFFICIAL has stated that CCU was a leading candidate.
Lots of fans have said this, but still haven't found a quote in any newpaper interview stating this.Only thing I found was something about...they would have to be considered.
Repeating this post. I still haven't seen anyone reply to the specific query I posted with any certain instance where a SoCon official has addressed this topic.
This post was not a poll on whether or not CCU should join or be approved.

SoCon48
May 24th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I have read lots of articles on the subject and I don't THINK there has ever been a statement on leading candidates.

I do recall CCU and Samford being mentioned specifically by a SoCon official. So I suppose one could infer those two are leading candidates if interested.

I cannot imagine why Samford would be interested without other Alabama or Tenn teams joining

Exactly.
And thanks for not correcting my grammatical error.."have saw."
Samford would kill our travel budgets.

OL FU
May 24th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Repeating this post. I still haven't seen anyone reply to the specific query I posted with any certain instance where a SoCon official has addressed this topic.
This post was not a poll on whether or not CCU should join or be approved.

I tried to reply. I am not certain but I don't think anyone from the SoCon has ever said leading candidate. I think certain individuals have inferred such.

OL FU
May 24th, 2006, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=I-AA 2006]Exactly.
And thanks for not correcting my grammatical error

If I become the grammar police, I would arrest me first :nod:

walliver
May 24th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Samford would kill our travel budgets.

For the SC and GA schools, Birmingham is about the same travel distance as Chattanooga (basically go west on I-20 instead of north on I-75 when you reach Atlanta - Birmingham is about a 30 mile longer drive). Obviously, for ASU, Elon and UNC-G it would be a longer drive.

Of course the ongoing rumors are that if the SoCon doesn't bring in a more western school, that Chattanooga would leave. That would reduce everybody's travel cost, but I don't think it would be a good thing.

Tealblood
May 24th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Some of the big publics--if you are going to stay better hope CCU is coming or at least gets an invite when the SOCON takes in Presbyterian

Tealblood
May 24th, 2006, 10:00 AM
I-AA 2006 if you are wondering from an official position CCU---has sent numerous reports and letters from Pres. Ingle to all SOCON school Presidents and SOCON officials. That part may not be what you are asking but that is no rumor or just some interest by fans.
It is the official position of CCU we are wanting into the SOCON.

OL FU
May 24th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Some of the big publics--if you are going to stay better hope CCU is coming or at least gets an invite when the SOCON takes in Presbyterian

I may be wrong but if the privates want another private it will not be PC. Too close. FU and wofford 37 miles. Furman and PC 50 Miles. Wofford and PC 37 miles. Unless someone just isn't thinking that is too much recruiting for the same geographic territory.

Tealblood
May 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Then why did SOCON take Wofford

walliver
May 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I don't see Presbyterian joining the SoCon any time soon. The reason (rumor) I've heard why the were rebuffed in the first place is that they "bring nothing to the conference." PC is in the same TV market as Furman, Western Carolina and Wofford. The daily paper in Clinton is the Greenville News. PC averages around 4000-5000 per game. Unless the I-AA world undergoes radical reorganization, there probably will not be a lot of interest in PC (unless they win a national championship or something)

Media marleting plays a significant role in conference member selection. Wofford has done studies that demonstrate that Wofford is much better known (and has a better academic reputation) in markets where we have played football and men's basketball games than in markets where we haven't. I sure this is similar for most institutions represented on this board. I believe this is why the conference has shown an interest in expanding into TN, AL, and VA. If the conference expands in the Carolinas than CCU would make a lot more sense than PC. The Florence/MB media market may be small, but it would be a new media market and expand the conference identity.

OL FU
May 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Then why did SOCON take Wofford

Because Furman loves Wofford. :D

Furman strongly backed the admitting Wofford. Did not hurt that Morrison (former SoCon Commish) had a relationship with Wofford. Wally, remind me was he Wofford's AD?

Two in the same region is one thing. Three totally different story.

Now that doesn't mean I am right about what the SoCon will do. Just means they should listen to me:smiley_wi

walliver
May 24th, 2006, 10:22 AM
OL FU obviously replied to this thread while I was composing my reply, that's why my post seems like a duplication.

Danny Morrison was AD at Wofford when Wofford joined the SoCon, he became SoCon commisioner after that. Morrison therefore, could not have pulled any strings to get Wofford in, despite the conspiracy theories otherwise.

Basically, Wofford was in the right place at the right time. When moving to I-AA, few Wofford fans expected to join the SoCon. But, when Marshall left, an opportunity opened up. In addition, Wofford has traditionally played SoCon schools for many years. In fact, we had beaten every SoCon school at least once prior to joining the SoCon (Some more recently than others:) )

OL FU
May 24th, 2006, 10:25 AM
OL FU obviously replied to this thread while I was composing my reply, that's why my post seems like a duplication.

Danny Morrison was AD at Wofford when Wofford joined the SoCon, he became SoCon commisioner after that. Morrison therefore, could not have pulled any strings to get Wofford in, despite the conspiracy theories otherwise.

Basically, Wofford was in the right place at the right time. When moving to I-AA, few Wofford fans expected to join the SoCon. But, when Marshall left, an opportunity opened up. In addition, Wofford has traditionally played SoCon schools for many years. In fact, we had beaten every SoCon school at least once prior to joining the SoCon (Some more recently than others:) )

Thanks for clarifying. Was not really promoting conspiracy theories. Just assumed Morrison did not hurt.

PS, Furman does love Wofford no matter what you think of us:smiley_wi

May 24th, 2006, 11:57 AM
SoCon won't be taking in Presby...

April 6, 2006
Big South Conference Adds Presbyterian College as New League Member
Big South Conference Media Relations, Mark Simpson

Charlotte, N.C. – The Big South Conference has added Presbyterian College as a member of the League effective with the 2007-08 academic year, it was announced today by the Conference’s administrators, in conjunction with Presbyterian College’s announcement of its transition to Division I status. Presbyterian will become the Big South’s 10th member institution. ...
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=77557

chattanoogamocs
May 24th, 2006, 01:39 PM
For what it's worth :) ......

Answer 1) Apparently no one has seen the article mentioned (since no one has replied to any of the inquiries you have made on multiple boards)...it made me curious, so I went thru and searched on charleston.net, but couldn't find anything either.

...I did you try posting on the CofC board? (I didn't see anything, but I might have missed it) that might be your best bet since most of their posters read it daily...that, or you might try emailing one of the regular writers (Burger or Sapakoff).

Answer 2) How does this Presbyterian stuff keeping finding new life? I know little about the Blue Hose and have no opinion on the school or its athletic program, but I directly asked an associate commissioner last fall about them and the exact quote (after a laugh) was "sure, Presbyterian might join...in about 50 years".

Answer 3) Now that he is gone, I feel I can mention this publicly, Morrison had spent a lot of time speaking with a school almost no one is mentioning on here...Kennesaw State. As most know, KSU is very seriously looking into adding football (last year, they even hired someone who works at UTC to help them with part of a feasibility study) and Danny was very interested in them joining...under the contingent of having football withing a certain period of time down the road. Large school, new market, great success at D2, equidistant between GSU and UTC (and not in the Carolinas).

OL FU
May 24th, 2006, 01:47 PM
For what it's worth :) ......

Answer 1) Apparently no one has seen the article mentioned (since no one has replied to any of the inquiries you have made on multiple boards)...it made me curious, so I went thru and searched on charleston.net, but couldn't find anything either.

...I did you try posting on the CofC board? (I didn't see anything, but I might have missed it) that might be your best bet since most of their posters read it daily...that, or you might try emailing one of the regular writers (Burger or Sapakoff).

Answer 2) How does this Presbyterian stuff keeping finding new life? I know little about the Blue Hose and have no opinion on the school or its athletic program, but I directly asked an associate commissioner last fall about them and the exact quote (after a laugh) was "sure, Presbyterian might join...in about 50 years".

Answer 3) Now that he is gone, I feel I can mention this publicly, Morrison had spent a lot of time speaking with a school almost no one is mentioning on here...Kennesaw State. As most know, KSU is very seriously looking into adding football (last year, they even hired someone who works at UTC to help them with part of a feasibility study) and Danny was very interested in them joining...under the contingent of having football withing a certain period of time down the road. Large school, new market, great success at D2, equidistant between GSU and UTC (and not in the Carolinas).

Number 3) My disclaimer - I know absolutely nothing about Kennesaw State. Now my remark.

I have seen articles that hints that we would expand to 12 or 14 teams with at least one playing football. (Don't ask me to name the source(s) I don't remember). I can only hope that Kennesaw would not be our football playing member. They may be perfectly fine in other sports. Honestly, I don't think many SoCon fans would have considered a young program like CCU except that (1) they have had success and (2) certainly seem committed to having a good football program.

Good to see you back. Always enjoy hearing what you have to say.

SoCon48
May 24th, 2006, 01:49 PM
chattanoogamocs, I don't post on the CCU board. Not sure where it is, even.
Kennasaw would be a good candidate regarding Chatt. I would hope they'd have FB FIRST, though.

Tealblood
May 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Ralph I would not read to much into that the Big South has been used before and will be used again for a school to get up to speedin Div I

chattanoogamocs
May 24th, 2006, 03:16 PM
chattanoogamocs, I don't post on the CCU board. Not sure where it is, even.

I was talking about the CofC board (not CCU)...those guys are usually pretty up on what is going on down in the low country. CofCfans.com

Good to see you back. Always enjoy hearing what you have to say.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

...and btw, my mentioning KSU was not an endorsement either, just that they are a legitimate candidate that has not been typically included with the "usual suspects" like Samford (still think there is no fire on that one) and CCU (lot of fire, obviously) :) ...and KSU has kept a low profile on the subject since it would probably be a moot point until a final determination is made on football (though, I think that is a done deal too...within a 5 year period).

It would be interesting to see if 14 teams happens (with say CCU, Winthrop(?), and KSU).

Off topic: As for any UC to the OVC, it probably died with the hiring of new AD Rick Hart yesterday...he is rooted in the Carolinas as both he and his wife are UNC grads...his Dad is AD at FSU (after the same at ECU)...oh, and his grandfather was former SoCon Commissioner.

OL FU
May 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I was talking about the CofC board (not CCU)...those guys are usually pretty up on what is going on down in the low country. CofCfans.com

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

...and btw, my mentioning KSU was not an endorsement either, just that they are a legitimate candidate that has not been typically included with the "usual suspects" like Samford (still think there is no fire on that one) and CCU (lot of fire, obviously) :) ...and KSU has kept a low profile on the subject since it would probably be a moot point until a final determination is made on football (though, I think that is a done deal too...within a 5 year period).

It would be interesting to see if 14 teams happens (with say CCU, Winthrop(?), and KSU).

Off topic: As for any UC to the OVC, it probably died with the hiring of new AD Rick Hart yesterday...he is rooted in the Carolinas as both he and his wife are UNC grads...his Dad is AD at FSU (after the same at ECU)...oh, and his grandfather was former SoCon Commissioner.

GOOD:D

Not sure if that is your opinion but I like it:nod:

MountaineerDrive
May 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I hope CCU does join the SoCon, seems a natural fit...and I wouldn't mind an extra excuse to go to the beach every other year. I hope they keep David Bennett around too he's built a solid program from the ground up in no time.

May 24th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Ralph I would not read to much into that the Big South has been used before and will be used again for a school to get up to speedin Div IBig South IS speedin D-I football and getting faster. :nod:

Elon has been the only defection, to the SoCon, and VMI defected from the SoCon to the Big South. :nod:

So is the SoCon or the Big South being "used"?

rokamortis
May 24th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Big South IS speedin D-I football and getting faster. :nod:

Elon has been the only defection, to the SoCon, and VMI defected from the SoCon to the Big South. :nod:

So is the SoCon or the Big South being "used"?

Big South, yes - SoCon, no IMHO - I think you'll see why in the next year or so.

Sly Fox
May 24th, 2006, 10:07 PM
With Charleston Southern now at full scholarship and hopefully a new direction under our new regime in Lynchburg, I have to believe the Big South will be much stronger this season.

Despite the overall impressions, the league was much tighter last fall than most realize.

bodoyle
May 25th, 2006, 08:51 AM
http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=89710&section=sports

OL FU
May 25th, 2006, 09:01 AM
http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=89710&section=sports

Furman better started providing more than 6 baseball scholarships or they are going to kick us out of the Conference:)

The Gadfly
May 25th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I was at the Citadel v. Georgia Southern game, with CCUMark, last night where I saw three other CCU fans in the stands. Come to find out they were Coastal Alumni living in Charleston sizing up possible future conference opponents :nod: in which we all agreed that the SoCon would be a great fit for Coastal Athletics and visa versa. It's starting to look silly and futile to keep us out. :bang:

walliver
May 25th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Furman better started providing more than 6 baseball scholarships or they are going to kick us out of the Conference

That's 50% more than we give out. Maybe that explains our baseball teams success:)

OL FU
May 25th, 2006, 11:36 AM
That's 50% more than we give out. Maybe that explains our baseball teams success:)

Any idea what is normal for BBall team scholarships

Tealblood
May 25th, 2006, 12:07 PM
At CCU we are at the max which is like 11.3 schollies(it is an odd number and it could be 11.1 or 11.6)
Bottom line we are at the max
On another thread I said that CCU is more prepared than almost any other school to join the SOCON. This is the type of thing to which I am refering almost every sport at CCU we are schollie to the max

Saint3333
May 25th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Does CCU fund 63 football scholarships?

I believe only 5 maybe 6 current SoCon schools do.

Tealblood
May 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM
With last years class yes

vmisport
May 25th, 2006, 06:42 PM
the Big South has sent 2 to the NCAA baseball tournament for several years. Additionally, the Big South ended up ahead of the SC in basketball this year. With emphasis now on football these programs are on the rise.

SoCon48
May 25th, 2006, 08:10 PM
the Big South has sent 2 to the NCAA baseball tournament for several years. Additionally, the Big South ended up ahead of the SC in basketball this year. With emphasis now on football these programs are on the rise.
Football on the rise? Maybe we can tell that is true in 10 yrs or so.

OL FU
May 26th, 2006, 06:40 AM
RE: Bsouth football on the rise. I am not trying to smack but let's be honest. The only school rising is Charleston (let's leave CCU out of it for a sec) they were so far down at the bottom that any improvement is recognizable. Liberty if they rise will leave for I-A.. SO STATES FALDWELL.

CCU wants to be a football school and has done remarkably well. and because of that, they will leave for the first good offer that comes along.

Different conferences have different strengths. Football is not the BSouth's strength.

Eaglegus2
May 26th, 2006, 06:49 AM
I was at the Citadel v. Georgia Southern game, with CCUMark, last night where I saw three other CCU fans in the stands. Come to find out they were Coastal Alumni living in Charleston sizing up possible future conference opponents :nod: in which we all agreed that the SoCon would be a great fit for Coastal Athletics and visa versa. It's starting to look silly and futile to keep us out. :bang:

I have to agree that CCU coming into the Southern Conference would benefit all sports, some more than others.

I feel that some of the private schools are against CCU coming into the conference.

If CCu doesn't come, I see App State & Georgia Southern leaving in the next 5 - 10 years or sooner.

SoCon48
May 26th, 2006, 10:57 AM
RE: .

Different conferences have different strengths. Football is not the BSouth's strength.

You're right on with that post. So we agree on more than just Art Baker.

OL FU
May 26th, 2006, 11:00 AM
You're right on with that post. So we agree on more than just Art Baker.

:nod: :smiley_wi

BigApp
May 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Which 'UNC'? There's about 7 or 8 of 'em in North Carolina alone, and one in Colorado, and most certainly some others around the country (Northern California?)!

SoCon48
May 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=BigApp]Which 'UNC'? There's about 7 or 8 of 'em in North Carolina alone QUOTE]

heh heh Right on target there, B App.

SoCon48
May 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I have to agree that CCU coming into the Southern Conference would benefit all sports, some more than others.

I feel that some of the private schools are against CCU coming into the conference.

If CCu doesn't come, I see App State & Georgia Southern leaving in the next 5 - 10 years or sooner.

You''ll find a ton of App fans on the Mountaineer Message Board (delphi-forums who will disagree with your first sentence.http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate (http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/start)

Lapper
May 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM
The SoCon will take the Thundering Beach Chickens or look completely xidiotx by not. I SERIOUSLY doubt that the Seasick Poultry can beat, or come close to beating, GSU, Furman, or even Wofford. This may slow the process of entry down, but it will happen within 2 more years. Coastal just has too many other good athletic programs. :twocents:

Saint3333
May 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Would the SoCon benefit more by bringing in another NC/SC school who would improve Baseball, Golf, and Soccer or would it benefit them more to court a school outside of the old "footprint" to extend the market and keep other schools (UTC) happy. That has been debated and there are strong arguments for both sides.

BUT one thing is clear CCU would benefit by joining the SoCon, I'm not sure what other options they have. I think an announcement on SoCon expansion will be proposed after next basketball season and the new member(s) will begin play in 2008-2009 season. A lot can happen in the time period.

rokamortis
May 28th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Would the SoCon benefit more by bringing in another NC/SC school who would improve Baseball, Golf, and Soccer or would it benefit them more to court a school outside of the old "footprint" to extend the market and keep other schools (UTC) happy. That has been debated and there are strong arguments for both sides.

Good points. But my question is how many schools from outside the footprint want to be the geographic anomaly? Look at UNC-W, they are in one of the top mid-major basketball conferences and their administration is rumored to be courting the SoCon to decrease travel expenses in all sports.

Saint3333
May 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
I believe the SoCon missed the boat when they missed an opportunity to try and get Jacksonville State a few years back. They aren't too far away, would be a good travel partner for UTC, and expand the SoCon market.

youwouldno
May 28th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I think JSU would be a great fit. But I think the geographic footprint stuff is pure nonsense. It's just totally contrary to basic logic. It might make sense for basketball but not for football or baseball.

In fact, I think a small footprint is advantageous. It facilitates travel for both the teams and fans. It also generates more attention, because rivalries are more local.

Complaints about the SoCon's footprint are also problematic because, to a large extent, conferences just represent the way D-I athletic programs are distributed geographically. South Carolina, with a population of only 4 million, has Furman, Wofford, Citadel, SC State, Coastal Carolina, and Charleston Southern. North Carolina has many programs as well. Thus, the 'Carolinas' feeling of the SoCon is purely a reflection of where I-AA programs are located (for instance, Georgia has... GSU).

The large number of LA schools similarly impacts the Southland. In any case, the most important things for a conference are a) success in a given sport and b) fan support. So, for the SoCon, let's see how best to answer those questions:

a) success in football. Already the conference is pretty successful, though there are a few weak programs they all appear to be on the rise... El Cid and Elon have accomplished new/newish coaches, UTC seems to be getting a little more return on their talent level, WCU is always a few players away, and Wofford had a very nice run recently.

For expansion purposes, the goal should clearly be to strengthen the conference, because otherwise what is the point of adding another program? I think Coastal still needs some time but has the potential to be a solid conference member.

b) fan support. It's all about rivalries, and CCU has some potential in that area-- more so than a Tenn Tech or something, which only would create a rivalry of sorts with one SoCon school. CCU would have natural in-state rivals but also isn't too far from GSU. The Chants have good support in the community and it would only increase if they played SoCon teams versus Big South opponents.

If I-AA goes to 12 games as well, I would support bringing 2 new teams into the SoCon. Aside from CCU, I'm not sure who wants in, but the fact remains that top SoCon teams do well in the playoffs, whereas, for instance, OVC teams have struggled. JSU specifically would stand to gain big-time in baseball as well, since the SoCon is 8th in RPI and the OVC 23rd. Basketball is the SoCon's main drawback for potential programs.

SoCon48
May 28th, 2006, 09:27 PM
It's all about rivalries, and CCU has some potential in that area-- more so than a Tenn Tech or something, which only would create a rivalry of sorts with one SoCon school. CCU would have natural in-state rivals but also isn't too

Tenn Tech would create rivalries with ASU, Chatt and WCU.

SoCon48
May 28th, 2006, 09:29 PM

BUT one thing is clear CCU would benefit by joining the SoCon, I'm not sure what other options they have. I think an announcement on SoCon expansion will be proposed after next basketball season and the new member(s) will begin play in 2008-2009 season. A lot can happen in the time period.

CCU would certainly benefit by joining. But it remains to be seen what benefit the SoCon would derive.

May 28th, 2006, 10:30 PM
it remains to be seen what benefit the SoCon would derive.One has to have their eyes open to "see" benefit... :nod:

youwouldno
May 28th, 2006, 10:58 PM
It's all about rivalries, and CCU has some potential in that area-- more so than a Tenn Tech or something, which only would create a rivalry of sorts with one SoCon school. CCU would have natural in-state rivals but also isn't too

Tenn Tech would create rivalries with ASU, Chatt and WCU.

How so? Tenn Tech isn't that close to the NC schools, is it? What would make them rivals with ASU or WCU?

SoCon48
May 29th, 2006, 08:03 AM
How so? Tenn Tech isn't that close to the NC schools, is it? What would make them rivals with ASU or WCU?

T Tech to WCU 3 1/2 hrs
T Tech to ASU 4 hrs

One hell of a lot closer than ASU to Conway (CCU) and Charleston (Citadel ,College of Charleston.) And Geez, much much better than to Statesboro, GA.
ASU has played T Tech 4 times and as recently as 1996.

SoCon48
May 29th, 2006, 08:10 AM
One has to have their eyes open to "see" benefit... :nod:

OK, I have my eyes open. I would like to READ some of those benefits to the conference other than to the South Carolina schools.

youwouldno
May 29th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Thing is, more goes into a rivalry than just location. #1 is what happens on the field.

CCU is probably the best bet, football-wise, of the available options. Also note that CCU isn't particularly close to Furman or Wofford, so those two have no more to gain from CCU's entry than anyone else in the conference.

App St and GSU fans are clamoring for a big public school, and CCU certainly is that. If you guys can get a better program that fits geographically, call up the SoCon commish and let him know.

Golden Eagle
May 29th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Thing is, more goes into a rivalry than just location. #1 is what happens on the field.

This is true. I can't see Tech putting the necessary resources into becoming a truly competitive football power in the SoCon.

SoCon48
May 29th, 2006, 12:56 PM

You can't count on anything happening on the field year in year out. Geography plays a MAJOR role in our level of football. I sure didn't see many CCU fans in Boone last fall.

SoCon48
May 29th, 2006, 12:59 PM
This is true. I can't see Tech putting the necessary resources into becoming a truly competitive football power in the SoCon.

You guys were our second biggest draw in Boone the last year we played. Ahead of Citadel, Furman, and VMI.

rokamortis
May 29th, 2006, 06:08 PM

You can't count on anything happening on the field year in year out. Geography plays a MAJOR role in our level of football. I sure didn't see many CCU fans in Boone last fall.

What was the official count of CCU fans in Boone? I'm pretty sure we had one section full and many other fans sprinkled throughout. If I recall correctly some of the other ASU fans seemed to indicate that we traveled better than some of your conference mates.

Golden Eagle
May 29th, 2006, 06:59 PM
You guys were our second biggest draw in Boone the last year we played. Ahead of Citadel, Furman, and VMI.

Interesting.

SoCon48
May 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM
What was the official count of CCU fans in Boone? I'm pretty sure we had one section full and many other fans sprinkled throughout. If I recall correctly some of the other ASU fans seemed to indicate that we traveled better than some of your conference mates.
One section out of 19? lol
Some fans might think you travel better than some of our other teams...but that would actually only be Wofford.
Maybe better than VMI..but guess what, they're in YOUR conference now.
You don't even come close to Furman, WCU, Citadel (in a good year), GSU, etc.

rokamortis
May 30th, 2006, 05:23 AM
One section out of 19? lol
Some fans might think you travel better than some of our other teams...but that would actually only be Wofford.
Maybe better than VMI..but guess what, they're in YOUR conference now.
You don't even come close to Furman, WCU, Citadel (in a good year), GSU, etc.

If you looked at it objectiveky you would also notice that Furman and Western are much closer and have as rivalry with you - that speaks for a lot. GSU has the rivalry too. What about UTC? How did El Cid travel in 2004? What about Elon?

But of course you don't look at things objectively ...

All I do know is that you set an opening day record with us xcoffeex

vmisport
May 30th, 2006, 06:46 AM
At University of Richmond gamethis year, VMI had more fans than did Richmond (VMI fans estimated at over 6,000. VMI had at least 4,000 at Williamsburg game for W&M. VMI travels well to JMU with at least a couple of thousand. Yes, the base of VMI support is in Central VA and there was not much interest traveling to the hills of NC.

vmisport
May 30th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I can tell you that very few schools traveled well to VMI. Marshall U. did travel very well and would bring about 3,000 at times while they were in the Southern Conference. But, ASU didn't travel well at all to VMI. The Citadel traveled well to VMI, of course, the two schools have a lot in common despite being about 8 hours apart. By being in the Big South, VMI's schedule opens up to play Virginia schools with which we have more in common/more interests and with shorter travel times.

Saint3333
May 30th, 2006, 08:03 AM

I believe it had more to do with the changing of administration and the enhancements to tailgating and other game day activities. However take credit for it if you like. If the weather is nice I assume the JMU game will surpass last year's opener.

rokamortis
May 30th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I believe it had more to do with the changing of administration and the enhancements to tailgating and other game day activities. However take credit for it if you like. If the weather is nice I assume the JMU game will surpass last year's opener.

:smiley_wi

Not taking credit for it - I was just trying to give our friend 2006 a litttle fact about that game. The truth is that it was parents weekend and only 1 of 4 home games. That likely had more to do with it than anything - but I think it may have helped a little to have played a team that just defeated the defending national champs.

Arguing about how many people Coastal brought is funny since there aren't any hard numbers. I'd guess around 900-1200. I do remember a few ASU fans that were surprised how well we traveled.

OL FU
May 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Flipped to the MMB for a second and they are saying the invites will be CCU, UNC -Wilmington and Stamford. Nothing new there But I really don't believe Samford until I see it. Also, as usual the MMB was negative about it(not everyone but most).

Remind to quit looking at that board:smiley_wi

SoCon48
May 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM
:smiley_wi

Not taking credit for it - I was just trying to give our friend 2006 a litttle fact about that game. The truth is that it was parents weekend and only 1 of 4 home games. That likely had more to do with it than anything - but I think it may have helped a little to have played a team that just defeated the defending national champs.

Arguing about how many people Coastal brought is funny since there aren't any hard numbers. I'd guess around 900-1200. I do remember a few ASU fans that were surprised how well we traveled.

It was the FIRST HOME GAME, too. 900-1200 is nothing to write home about.
BTW I WAS THERE! Were you?

SoCon48
May 30th, 2006, 09:49 AM
If you looked at it objectiveky you would also notice that Furman and Western are much closer and have as rivalry with you - that speaks for a lot. GSU has the rivalry too. What about UTC? How did El Cid travel in 2004? What about Elon?

But of course you don't look at things objectively ...

We set a lot of records after that this year.!!!It sure wasn't the 900 CCU fans that set that record!
BTW. Chattanooga game in Boone. 1987 23,727

SoCon48
May 30th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I can tell you that very few schools traveled well to VMI. Marshall U. did travel very well and would bring about 3,000 at times while they were in the Southern Conference. But, ASU didn't travel well at all to VMI. The Citadel traveled well to VMI, of course, the two schools have a lot in common despite being about 8 hours apart. By being in the Big South, VMI's schedule opens up to play Virginia schools with which we have more in common/more interests and with shorter travel times.
You gotta remember, VMI was the doormat of the league most of those years. ASU vs VMI all time is 19-4-1. Not much reason to travel to VMI in those days.
But, I was very sorry VMI left our conference. Great name. Great tradition. Great wrestling.

rokamortis
May 30th, 2006, 10:52 AM
It was the FIRST HOME GAME, too. 900-1200 is nothing to write home about.
BTW I WAS THERE! Were you?

Yes I was, so was my wife.

I didn't say it was anything to write home about, just decent for our first meeting. It could have been more too - I didn't count everyone. xcoffeex

Tealblood
May 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM
what is the MMB

OL FU
May 30th, 2006, 03:24 PM
what is the MMB

Mountaineer Message Board

WCUFLALUM
May 30th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I really dont know much about the strength of their program but, geographically speaking, I think it would be smart to look at a school like Jacksonville Univ. (FL). Florida is a hugh market to get into and it wasn't too long ago there were no 1-AA schools in the state. Central Florida was for a while but that was the only one. Now there are a couple (FL. Atlantic, FL. International and Jax). Jacksonville isn't too much further than Charleston.

rokamortis
May 30th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I really dont know much about the strength of their program but, geographically speaking, I think it would be smart to look at a school like Jacksonville Univ. (FL). Florida is a hugh market to get into and it wasn't too long ago there were no 1-AA schools in the state. Central Florida was for a while but that was the only one. Now there are a couple (FL. Atlantic, FL. International and Jax). Jacksonville isn't too much further than Charleston.

JU is non-scholarship

SoCon48
May 30th, 2006, 10:18 PM
what is the MMBhttp://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/start