PDA

View Full Version : A Bit of Silver Lining for the ASU fans

asumike83
December 5th, 2011, 10:45 AM
We were out-played in every aspect of the game this weekend. It was a hard game to watch with few positives to take from it.

However, one good thing that came out of it was a commitment received from RB Tysean Holloway who was in attendance on Saturday. He is a highly regarded prospect (2-star Rivals, 3-star Scout) and NC Shrine Bowl participant that chose ASU in spite of written offers from Duke, Georgia Tech and UNC. As Saturday's performance clearly showed, running back is a serious need for us and it was addressed within about 12 hours of our season ending.

http://hsnorthcarolina.scout.com/2/1135803.html

Offensive line and defensive tackle still must be addressed but this is a fine start. Go App!

boonegoon
December 5th, 2011, 11:32 AM
We were out-played in every aspect of the game this weekend. It was a hard game to watch with few positives to take from it.

However, one good thing that came out of it was a commitment received from RB Tysean Holloway who was in attendance on Saturday. He is a highly regarded prospect (2-star Rivals, 3-star Scout) and NC Shrine Bowl participant that chose ASU in spite of written offers from Duke, Georgia Tech and UNC. As Saturday's performance clearly showed, running back is a serious need for us and it was addressed within about 12 hours of our season ending.

Offensive line and defensive tackle still must be addressed but this is a fine start. Go App!

Funny. I was just wondering about starting a recruiting thread. Definitely a step in the right direction!

asucrutch23
December 5th, 2011, 12:15 PM

Don't know that much about the kid since I don't keep up with recruiting all that much, but we tailgate with the parents of kicker Mark Powell (HS teammate of Tysean's). They told us before the game that he was up on his visit and that he'd committed early to Duke but changed his mind. They actually sat behind him at the game and asked him afterwards "So you gonna commit?" and he responded with a "we'll see." I guess that "we'll see" turned into a commit pretty quickly. Sounds like he loved the atmosphere. Also, he'll be the 3rd Asheville High player on the team, joining Powell and TE Trevor Sawyer. I love the fact that he's graduating early and can join the team in early 2012. He may be looking at immediate playing time with the losses of Cadet and Baker-Boney.

boonegoon
December 5th, 2011, 12:20 PM

You know what's a ****er? That website doesn't show FCS schools, just perpetuating the stigma.

SideLine Shooter
December 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Link to ASU - Maine Photos.

http://sidelineshooter.smugmug.com/Sports/ASU-2011-Season/ASU-vs-Maine/20436915_S6MHbH#1617562980_86k3txr

asumike83
December 5th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Don't know that much about the kid since I don't keep up with recruiting all that much, but we tailgate with the parents of kicker Mark Powell (HS teammate of Tysean's). They told us before the game that he was up on his visit and that he'd committed early to Duke but changed his mind. They actually sat behind him at the game and asked him afterwards "So you gonna commit?" and he responded with a "we'll see." I guess that "we'll see" turned into a commit pretty quickly. Sounds like he loved the atmosphere. Also, he'll be the 3rd Asheville High player on the team, joining Powell and TE Trevor Sawyer. I love the fact that he's graduating early and can join the team in early 2012. He may be looking at immediate playing time with the losses of Cadet and Baker-Boney.

I was actually just talking to a friend about that this morning, I wonder if the other Asheville High kids had any effect on his decision? I have only seem limited clips of Tysean but he sure does look impressive. Looks like the ACC's loss will be our gain. If he dug the atmosphere on Saturday, he will really be blown away by a regular season game! I think Rod Chisholm and him will make a great tandem in the backfield. Still need to address the offensive line but that is a definite step forward.

On an unrelated note, I believe I stopped by your mother's tailgate on Saturday for some chicken and steak fajitas, awesome lady. I went by with my girlfriend and a couple other friends, we had a great time talking football and getting in on the good eats. She told me that her son was on AGS and I believe it was you.

asumike83
December 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Highlights from his Junior year, for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mk5pBupdI

asucrutch23
December 5th, 2011, 12:58 PM
On an unrelated note, I believe I stopped by your mother's tailgate on Saturday for some chicken and steak fajitas, awesome lady. I went by with my girlfriend and a couple other friends, we had a great time talking football and getting in on the good eats. She told me that her son was on AGS and I believe it was you.

Yep that's me. That must have been while I was down at a friends apartment for a little while. We were there earlier talking to CenMEBlackBearFan and his son about their squad. But yeah she always has something good to eat. Y'all should stop by next year too; there's usually more people with us and you can't beat the location!

asknoquarter21
December 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Yep that's me. That must have been while I was down at a friends apartment for a little while. We were there earlier talking to CenMEBlackBearFan and his son about their squad. But yeah she always has something good to eat. Y'all should stop by next year too; there's usually more people with us and you can't beat the location!

Boy I missed all the fun this weekend huh?

asucrutch23
December 5th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Boy I missed all the fun this weekend huh?

Yeah unfortunately the fun ended at about 2:05... xnonono2x

asknoquarter21
December 5th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I wonder if the other Asheville High kids had any effect on his decision? .

I have been saying for a while that we needed to recruit more from WNC. The level of talent is improving for whatever reason and we need to build a solid pipeline down here before WCU rebuilds(eventually they have to right). In the last few years the area has had players go to Notre Dame, Alabama, ECU and others. Obviously we can't win a recruiting battle with the likes of Notre Dame and Alabama, but the talent is improving nonetheless. Another thing I like for ASU in the area is the number of schools that are moving to a system similar to what ASU runs. AC Reynolds specifically being that ASU alumn Shane Laws is now the head coach there. I fully expect to have several walk ons from Reynolds ala Patrick Blaylock in coming years.

As for the Asheville high connection Many players in the area will transfer to Asheville High because of the facilities and the school provides players with the best chance to get recruited. Asheville High has produced the best players in the area and it isn't close. Recently we have seen guys like Jeoffrey Pagan(Alabama, transfered from AC Reynolds), Crezdon Butler(Clemson), Johnny White(UNC) get recruited by a large number of schools. Trevor Sawyer actually transfered from Enka in an attempt to be recruited by more schools.

If he dug the atmosphere on Saturday, he will really be blown away by a regular season game! I think Rod Chisholm and him will make a great tandem in the backfield. .

That was my first impression as well. I guess it isn't all that surprising considering he did commit to Duke early on.

I think he and Rod Chisholm will go well together, my concern for Tysean is that, like chisholm, he was touching the ball a ton in his HS offense. I am curious as to how well/quickly he can learn the protection schemes and blitz pickup.

Still need to address the offensive line but that is a definite step forward..

It has been well documented how bad we were on the offensive line, but personnel moves caused a lot of those problems in my opinion. I think we will see a group that plays together all spring and gets better together. At least I hope. We need to recruit well here as it hurt us the last few years not getting big guys.

I hate I missed out on this.

asumike83
December 5th, 2011, 01:42 PM

I hate I missed out on this.

I will certainly be stopping by next season, that is some prime real estate she has right there by the main entrance. She refused our offer to chip in monetarily, so we'll have to come by with some food to contribute next year!

asumike83
December 5th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I have been saying for a while that we needed to recruit more from WNC. The level of talent is improving for whatever reason and we need to build a solid pipeline down here before WCU rebuilds(eventually they have to right). In the last few years the area has had players go to Notre Dame, Alabama, ECU and others. Obviously we can't win a recruiting battle with the likes of Notre Dame and Alabama, but the talent is improving nonetheless. Another thing I like for ASU in the area is the number of schools that are moving to a system similar to what ASU runs. AC Reynolds specifically being that ASU alumn Shane Laws is now the head coach there. I fully expect to have several walk ons from Reynolds ala Patrick Blaylock in coming years.

Absolutely. We have a good reputation in Western NC and in order to start winning any recruiting battles, we have to lock down our own back yard.

I think he and Rod Chisholm will go well together, my concern for Tysean is that, like chisholm, he was touching the ball a ton in his HS offense. I am curious as to how well/quickly he can learn the protection schemes and blitz pickup.

That is very true. There was never any question about Chisholm's running ability, it was all the other responsibilities that a RB has in our offense that held him back. He likely would have played over Cadet last season if his pass protection was stronger. He's been in the system for four years now and should have the #1 spot next year. Hopefully Holloway is a quick learner and can be a good #2 as a freshman. Love Steven Miller but he is more of a change of pace guy than an every down back.

It has been well documented how bad we were on the offensive line, but personnel moves caused a lot of those problems in my opinion. I think we will see a group that plays together all spring and gets better together. At least I hope. We need to recruit well here as it hurt us the last few years not getting big guys.

The losses we suffered on the OL made it very difficult to have any continuity, so hopefully a full offseason together will change that. However, I have concerns about that with Ruff and Frye graduating, along with the questionable return of Kendall Lamm. I heard that they are offering Kendall the opportunity to come back next year as a walk-on and earn his scholarship back. My guess would be that his decision will be dictated by what (if any) coaching changes are made.

asknoquarter21
December 5th, 2011, 02:09 PM
along with the questionable return of Kendall Lamm. I heard that they are offering Kendall the opportunity to come back next year as a walk-on and earn his scholarship back. My guess would be that his decision will be dictated by what (if any) coaching changes are made.

This kid has so much potential, but with the attitude he had hard to imagine him wanting to come back.

I understand sometimes you can do some things you regret, and I hope that is the case. I want kids that want to be at ASU.

stevdock
December 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Ya know for so many people on here ripping Lakes for reporting on a recruit the Bison got a few weeks ago, I find it ridiculous that nobody has ripped on you guys. I would assume this is more appropriate for an App. St. board isn't it??

asumike83
December 5th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Ya know for so many people on here ripping Lakes for reporting on a recruit the Bison got a few weeks ago, I find it ridiculous that nobody has ripped on you guys. I would assume this is more appropriate for an App. St. board isn't it??

Probably. However, most members of the Mountaineer Message Board are too busy jumping off buildings and calling for Jerry Moore's head to care about landing a nice recruit!

I'm sure some people ripped the guy for reporting a recruit but it sure wasn't me. If I have no interest in a thread, I just move along and don't read it. Seems like the logical thing to do.

asknoquarter21
December 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM

I don't recall ripping anyone for opening a thread concerning FCS football.

ASUG8
December 5th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Highlights from his Junior year, for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mk5pBupdI

Pretty cool - I there are several clips of him running all over my HS team, the black and gold Tuscola Mountaineers.