PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota to announce Joe Glenn as new coach

Squealofthepig
December 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20111204/SPORTS/111204002/Joe-Glenn-expected-to-be-named-USD-football-coach-Monday?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|SPORTS

If the name sounds familiar...

Glenn most recently was head coach at Wyoming, where he spent six years before being let go after the 2008 season. He won Division II national titles at Northern Colorado in 1996 and 1997 and an FCS national title at Montana in 2001 prior to moving onto Wyoming. A Lincoln, Neb., native, Glenn was inducted into the USD Hall of Fame in 2007. He has an overall coaching record of 188-100-1.

Grizalltheway
December 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hey Squeal, where was your avatar photo taken?

Squealofthepig
December 4th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Hey Squeal, where was your avatar photo taken?

Just outside of Ronan, along 93 (between Missoula and Kalispell). There's a nice picnic area, and some storms got caught up in the Missions; a friend snapped this shot of me looking out over my favorite range.

LakesBison
December 4th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Yotes suck just as bad as joe glenn does. congrats on that.

BisonBacker
December 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM

What the hell are you 5 years old xsmhx

MTfan4life
December 4th, 2011, 10:33 PM

Joe Glenn sucks? At least all the times you brag about the Bison winning the world, there's a possibility that would happen. This is just sad. In Division II and FCS, he has a combined record of 138-40 with 3 national championships. If you're going to troll, at least act like you're smarter than a brick.

GOB1SON
December 5th, 2011, 07:34 AM
He is a USD alum and from a historical perspective, knows how to coach. I think he was a good hire as USD moves into the Mo Valley.

darell1976
December 5th, 2011, 08:13 AM

You're just pissed because Glenn can turn the Yotes into a conference contender something UNC was during the 90's.

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2011, 09:26 AM
You're just pissed because Glenn can turn the Yotes into a conference contender something UNC was during the 90's.

Glenn will have his hands full trying to get up to speed in Verm. Should be interesting to see how he does but I think his biggest challenge will be $$$$$$. USD doesn't have the support they had at Montana. DII and FCS are different animals. He's a good coach so it will be interesting.

GOB1SON
December 5th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Glenn will have his hands full trying to get up to speed in Verm. Should be interesting to see how he does but I think his biggest challenge will be $$$$$$. USD doesn't have the support they had at Montana. DII and FCS are different animals. He's a good coach so it will be interesting.

$$$$ is probably why they hired him. He will probably make a difference in fund raising. A fairly big name at this level, alum of the U, same generation as many of the bigger money donors, etc...

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2011, 09:31 AM
$$$$ is probably why they hired him. He will probably make a difference in fund raising. A fairly big name at this level, alum of the U, same generation as many of the bigger money donors, etc...

True he may be able to help in some regard but there is no way you are going to tell me that one man will make the difference to get USD up to par with the likes (comparing fundraising here nothing else) to that of NDSU or Montana ect..

GOB1SON
December 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM
True he may be able to help in some regard but there is no way you are going to tell me that one man will make the difference to get USD up to par with the likes (comparing fundraising here nothing else) to that of NDSU or Montana ect..

No, but they have to start somewhere. They have a long way to go.

Cleets
December 5th, 2011, 09:34 AM
In 3 years that team will be ripping it's way through FCS football - mark my words...

darell1976
December 5th, 2011, 09:34 AM

Its not like USD was that bad of a team remember they beat Minnesota too. Almost won the share of the Great West. They have played in 1 National Title game (older NDSU fans remember that), so they could very well get back on top and maybe Glenn is the guy to do it.

Catbooster
December 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM

It's not like he'll change it overnight. But if the administration is supporting him, the head coach can make a huge difference in support among the alumni and fans. MSU fans know that Kramer's ability to energize the fanbase was perhaps the biggest difference he made here. Obviously, you still have to win games.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 5th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Based on his age and where he is currently at in his life (semi-retired, as he says), Glenn will be at USD for 5 years, max! This year's recruiting class will most likely be the only one to have him as their head coach for their entire careers. If I'm currently a high school senior, why would I sign up to play for USD in this type of situation? Questionable move by the Yotes, in my opion...

I can't imagine I'm the only one to have this type of reaction or point of view on the hiring...?

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Based on his age and where he is currently at in his life (semi-retired, as he says), Glenn will be at USD for 5 years, max! This year's recruiting class will most likely be the only one to have him as their head coach for their entire careers. If I'm currently a high school senior, why would I sign up to play for USD in this type of situation? Questionable move by the Yotes, in my opion...

If this is true it has to be one of the dumbest choices they could make.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM
In 3 years that team will be ripping it's way through FCS football - mark my words...

Really?

IMO, USD will be a mid to lower MV team for the next 2-3 years.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
If this is true it has to be one of the dumbest choices they could make.

Obviously, nobody knows for sure how long he'll be there. It just doesn't seem like a long term hire to me, that's all.

How do you go from living on a golf course in a 60 and older retirement community in Phoenix to coaching college football for the next 5+ years, putting in 80 hour work weeks?!

So, to over-react and summarize, this is a horrible coaching hire and will cost USD recruits and talent over the next 4-5 years, directly leading to a decade of underachieving and multiple losing seasons. This will begin a string of 5-8 straight losing seasons for USD as they enter a much higher level of competition next year in the MVFC. Move over Missouri State, we have a new cellar dweller! xlolx

Jacked_Rabbit
December 5th, 2011, 12:06 PM

You've never been to Vermillion, eh? It makes Brookings looks like Scottsdale, AZ... I am now marking your words, and I'll talk to you in 3 years when USD has averaged 3.5 wins per year over that time span. By that time, we'll be talking about Glenn's replacement as he is back on the golf course in AZ.

CrazyCat
December 5th, 2011, 12:13 PM
How exactly do you find a coach for the "long term?" Seems like that is what every school would try to find but hard to accomplish. If you hire an "up and comer" and he wins, he will move on just as fast.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 5th, 2011, 12:20 PM
How exactly do you find a coach for the "long term?" Seems like that is what every school would try to find but hard to accomplish. If you hire an "up and comer" and he wins, he will move on just as fast.

Good point. I'd simply rather take my chances on an "up and comer" that may move on after a ton of success (since I would have benefited from all of his success, obviously) than a guy who is alreadys a self-proclaimed semi-retired. In only one of the two options is there even a chance for a long term option.

I'm sure he is a great coach and can bring a lot of positives, but I am just suprised USD chose somebody who has been retired out of the game for so long. That said, maybe he will prove more wrong and coach into his 80's like Joe Pa!

Cleets
December 5th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Really?

IMO, USD will be a mid to lower MV team for the next 2-3 years.

I didn't say 2 to 3 I said 3...
there's a difference between the number 2 and the number 3

By his 3rd season they will be good - trust me on this

Jacked_Rabbit
December 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM
The chances are higher that he will be back in retirement in 3 years than they are USD wins the MVFC. Just sayin...

Cleets
December 5th, 2011, 12:58 PM
The changes are higher that he will be back in retirement in 3 years than they are USD wins the MVFC. Just sayin...

I hear you...
But I think there will be some surprises (Three years, mark my words)

FarSouthBison
December 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Cleets, I hope your right. The MV can use another strong team.
Unlike the Big Sky adding the Sue.

Hammerhead
December 5th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I was at the 1986 D-II championship game where NDSU beat USD. I think this is a good hire for USD. It's about time the Dakota schools move the center of FCS power farther west. 3 out of 4 quarterfinal games in this year's playoff is west of the Mississippi.

Its not like USD was that bad of a team remember they beat Minnesota too. Almost won the share of the Great West. They have played in 1 National Title game (older NDSU fans remember that), so they could very well get back on top and maybe Glenn is the guy to do it.

Grizzlies82
December 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Joe Glenn is a very likeable guy and a good motivator. As both an alumni of their school, and a coach with a winning record, he will improve their fundraising, recruiting, and ultimately improve their record. I don't know if he'll take them to a championship but he will get their program going in the right direction.

Him being a "short term" hire is meaningless. It the classic dilemma here in Montana (or most FCS schools), if a coach is highly successful we can't pay enough to retain them. As a result we're on our fifth coach in 16 years. Yet in Glenn's case he is old enough and has enough ties to the school where he'll probably stay there until he wants to permanently retire. As a result I don't see it hurting their recruiting in the least. This is a good get for South Dakota.

UNIFanSince1983
December 5th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I was at the 1986 D-II championship game where NDSU beat USD. I think this is a good hire for USD. It's about time the Dakota schools move the center of FCS power farther west. Every quarterfinal game in this year's playoff is west of the Mississippi.

I am not a geographer, but I am pretty sure Statesboro, GA isn't west of the Mississippi...

Hammerhead
December 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Oops, forgot about the game at GSU.

NDB
December 5th, 2011, 08:29 PM
YOU HAVE DISRESPECTED THE EAGLES!!!!!!!

Commence 200 post discussnion on teh glory that is GSU!