PDA

View Full Version : Montana State at Sam Houston State - Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

TexasTerror
December 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Sam Houston State Bearkats vs Montana State University
December 10, 2011 · 11:00 a.m · Bowers Stadium · Huntsville, TX

Following the Game
Live Feed - ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/#type/upcoming/startDate/20111210/)
Radio - KSAM (http://www.ksam1017.com)
TV - ESPN

Game Day Weather Information (courtesy of Weather.com for now) -
Bowers Stadium (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Huntsville+TX+77340)

Game Notes
MSU - Not Available at Time of Posting
SHSU - Not Available at Time of Posting

Twitter Feeds
@msubobcats (https://twitter.com/msubobcats)
@BearkatSports (http://twitter.com/BearkatSports)

Team Web Sites
Montana State University (http://www.msubobcats.com/index.aspx?path=football)
Sam Houston State University (http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&KEY=&SPID=11345&SPSID=92955)

Other Helpful Links
Bozeman Daily Chronicle (http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/)
Huntsville Item (http://www.itemonline.com)
Houstonian Online (http://www.houstonianonline.com/sports) (SHSU student newspaper)

Team Fan Sites

Bobcat Nation (http://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/)
SHSU KatFans.com (http://www.katfans.com/)

TexasTerror
December 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM
SHSU article about game and folks flocking to Huntsville...

The amazing 12-0 run of the Sam Houston State football team plus the tremendous spirit generated by Bearkat fans, alumni and students have turned Elliott T. Bowers into the party place of Huntsville.

More than 8,100 fans filled the stadium and sat on the nearly grassy hills to watch Sam Houston rally for a 34-27 victory over Stony Brook Saturday Dec. 3.

Now the party continues as the Bearkats roll into the quarterfinals where they host Montana State on Saturday Dec. 10 at 11 a.m.

Montana State brings a 10-2 record into the contest and was ranked No. 1 in the nation until a loss to Montana in the final regular season game of the year.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205342102

TexasTerror
December 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM
KatFans.com game thread...

http://katfans.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3770.0

Bobcat Nation early thread...

http://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26452&

shloop
December 5th, 2011, 01:54 AM
After a little YouTube film watching, #9 (McGee) and #1 (Akpla) for the Bobcats are to be respected! McGee is a gamer. He is a Trinity kid that led the Trojans to a 5A DI State Championship his senior year. Funny story, I saw a Montana State coach at old Texas Stadium about three or four years ago watching playoff games (McGee’s junior year I believe). Three or four years later their roster is loaded with Texas kids. These kids will be fired up to come back home. However, the KATS will be fired up as well playing in the Quarters of the FSC at their house. It’s hard to go to bed thinking about this game! Feet are wet! KATS will come to play on Saturday!

Bearkat-Backer
December 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM
If our receivers drop as many passes as they did in the first half against SBU then we could be in for a long day this Saturday. Sincere dropped a sure TD that hit him right in the hands. Bell looked great though and was running and throwing well.

Grizcountry420
December 5th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Montana St > SHSU

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Montana St > SHSU
+1

Bearkat-Backer
December 5th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Montana St > SHSU

Sacramento State > University of Montana

Grizalltheway
December 5th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Where is Montana University?

Bearkat-Backer
December 5th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Montana University?

Better?

Grizcountry420
December 5th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Big Sky > Southland

Grizzaholic
December 5th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Better?

Idiot. Read the very first post by your ____________ TT. Real winner he is.

Grizalltheway
December 5th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Big Sky > Southland

No way dude! UCA totally scored points in Missoula this weekend.

Bearkat-Backer
December 5th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Big Sky > Southland

Combined conference records:

48-53 < 46-45

I will let you figure out which is which. Here is a clue, the one with the better record played more FBS teams and less sub DI teams.

CopperCat
December 5th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Ok griz fans, let's cool it just a bit. We all know you want another home game and the only way that will happen is if MSU AND UM take care of business this weekend (grizband if you're reading this I will be heading home that weekend and will DEFINITELY be interested in two tickets if MSU and UM win, if you can find them. Don't really care about price).

Walkon79
December 5th, 2011, 02:35 PM
The 10:00 start time kinda blows! But I guess I shouldn't complain. GSU, NDSU, Maine and Lehigh should complain about being relegated to ESPN3, though. At least give them a PPV option, and we can watch those games too!

TexasTerror
December 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Read the very first post by your ____________ TT.

Usually I review JJ's posts - took it from him on KatFans.com since he took over game thread duties for me this year... my apologies.

Ivytalk
December 5th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Whoever wins this game will lose to Montana the following week. Just sayin'!xpeacex

Sam_Kats
December 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Chip & a seat.

Grizzaholic
December 5th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Usually I review JJ's posts - took it from him on KatFans.com since he took over game thread duties for me this year... my apologies.

You should be.

Grizalltheway
December 5th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Whoever wins this game will lose to Montana the following week. Just sayin'!xpeacex

I like the way you think! xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

McNeese72
December 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Whoever wins this game will lose to Montana the following week. Just sayin'!

Well, let's just cancel this game. Also, UNI needs to cancel their trip to Missoula and Montana needs to go ahead and make their Frisco reservations. ;)

Doc

McNeese72
December 5th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Chip & a seat.

That's "a chip and a chair". Can't you Kats get anything right??? :-)

GL, this weekend.

Doc

Sam_Kats
December 5th, 2011, 04:32 PM
That's "a chip and a chair". Can't you Kats get anything right??? :-)

GL, this weekend.

Doc

That's the Texas version

McNeese72
December 5th, 2011, 04:49 PM
That's the Texas version

Texas version.....Southland Conference version......whatever........I'm sure it is not a good as the other FCS Conferences' version. ;)

Doc

Grizzlies82
December 5th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Kat-Backer, glad to see you wanted to revise your brackets. Must of had a change of heart and now want to pick the Montana teams. Smart move.

Remember I was the one who warned you that the MT State QB is a Texas kid who was waiting for a return to Texas so he could enjoy some real brisket BBQ and a Lone Star, and a kid who loves his mother, and who is angry SHSU didn't give him a scholarship so he could play closer to home and see her!

If by chance that Irish Lad, McGhee, stumbles this week because of the tears in his eyes for the love of his mother...

Then the real Montana team will be there to enjoy some BBQ after beating up those Bearkats. Bank on it. If the little brother doesn't get it done, the Grizzlies will.

Bearkat-Backer
December 5th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Kat-Backer, glad to see you wanted to revise your brackets. Must of had a change of heart and now want to pick the Montana teams. Smart move.

Remember I was the one who warned you that the MT State QB is a Texas kid who was waiting for a return to Texas so he could enjoy some real brisket BBQ and a Lone Star, and a kid who loves his mother, and who is angry SHSU didn't give him a scholarship so he could play closer to home and see her!

If by chance that Irish Lad, McGhee, stumbles this week because of the tears in his eyes for the love of his mother...

Then the real Montana team will be there to enjoy some BBQ after beating up those Bearkats. Bank on it. If the little brother doesn't get it done, the Grizzlies will.

I never filled one out for the "AGS Bracket Challenge" so I figured I would do it for the final 8. If I had filled one out I would have swung and missed on Appy and Towson. I like our chances against your "little brother". I hope the Griz and the Kats both take care of buisness this week so we can settle it on the field.

DJKyR0
December 5th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Well, let's just cancel this game. Also, UNI needs to cancel their trip to Missoula and Montana needs to go ahead and make their Frisco reservations. ;)

Doc

But we haven't gotten the Montana vs. NDSU thread to 70 pages yet!

Bearkat-Backer
December 6th, 2011, 09:43 AM
It's funny that there are more posts on this thread from Griz fans then there are from Bobcat fans. Shouldn't you guys be busy pestering UNI fans?

TheRevSFA
December 6th, 2011, 10:00 AM
That's the Texas version

Now you're just making **** up! Good luck this weekend

kingkat99
December 6th, 2011, 10:05 AM
It's funny that there are more posts on this thread from Griz fans then there are from Bobcat fans. Shouldn't you guys be busy pestering UNI fans?

Big brother taking up for little brother is all it amounts too...kind of ironic actually since they supposedly dont like each other. Most likely it is because MSU and their fans have more class.

TheRevSFA
December 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Big brother taking up for little brother is all it amounts too...kind of ironic actually since they supposedly dont like each other. Most likely it is because MSU and their fans have more class.

Perhaps that..perhaps they are just wanting a Cat/Griz matchup. Perhaps they are going for the entire state of Montana. Hell, I hate Sam but I'm cheering for you. After you guys lose..or win the NC..I'll go back to loathing everything about your damn school.

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2011, 10:33 AM

They don't seem to take kindly to good-natured ribbing or smack. Must be nervous about the game...

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Do you consider chanting "eat **** Grizzlies, go Cats go!", at games that don't even involve us, to be classy?

Grizzaholic
December 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Do you consider chanting "eat **** Grizzlies, go Cats go!", at games that don't even involve us, to be classy?

xnodx

kingkat99
December 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM
They don't seem to take kindly to good-natured ribbing or smack. Must be nervous about the game...

Why would we be nervous we arent playing in the game we are just watching from the stands and I have never lost a tailgate so I have no pressure...

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Why would we be nervous we arent playing in the game we are just watching from the stands and I have never lost a tailgate so I have no pressure...

Was talking about UNI fans. Some of them are all pissy that Griz fans showed up on their board...

Walkon79
December 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

McNeese72
December 6th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Perhaps that..perhaps they are just wanting a Cat/Griz matchup. Perhaps they are going for the entire state of Montana. Hell, I hate Sam but I'm cheering for you. After you guys lose..or win the NC..I'll go back to loathing everything about your damn school.

The Griz are wanting a home game, that's all. They don't want to travel down to Huntsville. Historically in the playoffs, they are more vulnerable on the road than they are at Wash-Griz.

Doc

kingkat99
December 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Was talking about UNI fans. Some of them are all pissy that Griz fans showed up on their board...

Yes naturally a Griz fan is talking about UNI on a thread called Montana STATE at Sam Houston State....

Vitojr130
December 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM

Sounds like what goes on at NDSU games. "Sioux Suck *****" has been chanted at every football game I can remember at least once...

kingkat99
December 6th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Absolutely its classy the way yall think everything revolves around you(case in point your trolling the wrong game thread) and get your panties in a knot just because you cant be number 1 all the time and cant play at home all the time. Id tell you to Eat **** too if I had to live in the same state with you.

BelgradeBobcat
December 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Id tell you to Eat **** too if I had to live in the same state with you.

There is much understanding xreadx in this quote^^^. xbeerchugx xpeacex

Cleets
December 6th, 2011, 03:27 PM
If these two teams are anything like their fans - this game is going to be a WAR..!!!

Catbooster
December 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hmmm......thoughts on Bearkats.....the feline portion of your name is ok (though odd spelling), the ursine part sucks. xcoffeex

xsmiley_wix

Silenoz
December 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Absolutely its classy the way yall think everything revolves around you(case in point your trolling the wrong game thread) and get your panties in a knot just because you cant be number 1 all the time and cant play at home all the time. Id tell you to Eat **** too if I had to live in the same state with you.

Well thank god you're stuck in Texas 'cause we sure as f#$k don't want you up here xlolx

kingkat99
December 6th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Well thank god you're stuck in Texas 'cause we sure as f#$k don't want you up here xlolx

I couldnt agree more...

Silenoz
December 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
God, I take it back. Griz fans are being giant douches in this thread xlolxxlolx

...course I also missed the memorandum on not posting in other game threads. We're keeping it bumped at the very least ;)

Grizzaholic
December 6th, 2011, 04:35 PM
God, I take it back. Griz fans are being giant douches in this thread xlolxxlolx

...course I also missed the memorandum on not posting in other game threads. We're keeping it bumped at the very least ;)

And the SHS-Huntsville aren't? Have you ever met one of these piles of ****?

If you have ever stepped in a pile of cow **** before, it is exactly the same feeling.....Nothing but assholeishness.

kingkat99
December 6th, 2011, 04:49 PM
And the SHS-Huntsville aren't? Have you ever met one of these piles of ****?

If you have ever stepped in a pile of cow **** before, it is exactly the same feeling.....Nothing but assholeishness.

Hello Pot meet Kettle....

Grizzaholic
December 6th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hello Pot meet Kettle....

And hello TT...meet your ***.

Cleets
December 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Honestly,
I never met a Texan I didn't like (and I'm not even a republican) one of my very best buddies lives in Dallas and I've got two great friends in Austin
Texas is Awesome - and the people are GREAT (The Women are spectacular) I dated a TCU gal for a few years way back in the Day - and I love Fort Worth

as you were gentlemen...

Grizzaholic
December 6th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Honestly,
I never met a Texan I didn't like (and I'm not even a republican) one of my very best buddies lives in Dallas and I've got two great friends in Austin
Texas is Awesome - and the people are GREAT (The Women are spectacular) I dated a TCU gal for a few years way back in the Day - and I love Fort Worth

as you were gentlemen...

Go iron something.

Cleets
December 6th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Are you kidding me... TEXAS women..!!!
I mean it's an embarrassment of riches in that state
http://www.cmt.com/sitewide/assets/img/shows/texas_women/season_1/101/25-x600.jpg

kingkat99
December 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM
And hello TT...meet your ***.

You know you're struggli when all you have are TT jokes...thanks for playin Jizzy.

Catbooster
December 6th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Well, I think the Bobcats will win this game. We have...er..um....Is this the right thread to discuss MSU vs. SHSU? xconfusedx xdontknowx

Bearkat-Backer
December 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM
When I put together next years schedule I will keep that in mind and as far as TT goes no one cares!

Sam_Kats
December 6th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Wow, Jizzaholic - just when I think you have made a total fool of yourself in another thread................

YOU TOTALLY ONE-UP YOURSELF in this one. Fine piece of work you are. Truth be told, the Griz Nation doesn't claim your TROLLING a$$ anyway.

Toodles, Dbag.

putter
December 6th, 2011, 10:35 PM
So tell me what teams are more vulnerable at home than on the road? Yes JMU were road warriors, however, that usually is not the case. There is not one FCS fan that can tell me that UM/MSU II for the right to go to the chipper would not be a game of epic proportions...for the FCS on TV. You may want UNI or Sam but the message boards would be on fire for a week!! LOL

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
So tell me what teams are more vulnerable at home than on the road? Yes JMU were road warriors, however, that usually is not the case. There is not one FCS fan that can tell me that UM/MSU II for the right to go to the chipper would not be a game of epic proportions...for the FCS on TV. You may want UNI or Sam but the message boards would be on fire for a week!! LOL

IDK, something tells me the kitty fans would be a little more cautious in their predictions this time around...

Grizalltheway
December 6th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Honestly,

as you were gentlemen...

Don't forget about all those people they execute...seriously, how cool is that? It's like a little slice of China or Iran, right here in America. xnodx

Cleets
December 6th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Don't forget about all those people they execute...seriously, how cool is that? It's like a little slice of China or Iran, right here in America. xnodx

In a Republic we rule by Law... not by popular opinion
Indeed there are laws in place that regionally reflect the disposition of it's residents - Texas, as such, has it's own
Under no circumstances to I begrudge the general population of Texans for these things - Montana has it's problems too

CopperCat
December 6th, 2011, 11:27 PM
In a Republic we rule by Law... not by popular opinion
Indeed there are laws in place that regionally reflect the disposition of it's residents - Texas, as such, has it's own
Under no circumstances to I begrudge the general population of Texans for these things - Montana has it's problems too

Yup. And most of those problems are rooted in people that move from places like Texas/Oregon/California (i.e. the guy from Texas who cut down half a forest below the in-laws' cabin just so he could build a landing strip for his airplane).

Bearkat-Backer
December 7th, 2011, 07:49 AM

Sam and UNI should just forfeit this week for the good of the FCS.

Bobcat in NC
December 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM
IDK, something tells me the kitty fans would be a little more cautious in their predictions this time around...

F that. Bobcats by eleventy billion in the rematch! xpeacex

fencer24
December 7th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Please Bobcats, show up and don't embarrass Montana! We're rooting for you, at least until next week.

TheRevSFA
December 7th, 2011, 09:40 AM
xpopcornx

Jacked_Rabbit
December 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM
The line is out. SHSU -8.5 with the total at 53...

I'm really surprised this line is so high. I'm jumping on the Bobcats ASAP!

Sam_Kats
December 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I think they'll cover as well. That's a big #.

I see something like 30-24 Kats

Cleets
December 7th, 2011, 10:21 AM
The line is out. SHSU -8.5 with the total at 53...

I'm really surprised this line is so high. I'm jumping on the Bobcats ASAP!

That spread will close - that's only a reflection of how betters are betting at this stage - it'll settle in around 3 or 4

Jacked_Rabbit
December 7th, 2011, 11:11 AM
That spread will close - that's only a reflection of how betters are betting at this stage - it'll settle in around 3 or 4

Agree. All the more reason to jump on it now and lock it in at the 8.5!

Bobcat in NC
December 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Please Bobcats, show up and don't embarrass Montana! We're rooting for you, at least until next week.

Thanks for your concern. xcoffeex

Please don't embarrass Montana by getting run out of your own house by UNI. We're rooting for you, at least until next week.

Cleets
December 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM

Please don't embarrass Montana by getting run out of your own house by UNI. We're rooting for you, at least until next week.

*Zing....

Grizalltheway
December 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM

Nothing personal, but I don't think we'll be taking advice on how to not get run out of our own house from you guys.xlolx

Catbooster
December 7th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Nothing personal, but I don't think we'll be taking advice on how to not get run out of our own house from you guys.xlolx

Why not? We have recent experience.

Grizzlies82
December 7th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm not surprised the Bearkats are favored. They are undefeated. They are at home. They have a very fast and explosive offense. On the other side, the MSU bobcats have not looked good their past two games. As a result Sam Houston deserves the nod.

Though SHSU fans you need to adjust your expectations and get ready for a tight one. This game should be a toss up. If MSU's offense gets their mojo back Sam Houston's defense will have their hands full. I suspect this will be a high scoring game (30+ points for each team). It is just a hunch but I do believe the multiple (Montana State) Texas kids playing "at home" for the first time in their careers, and in decent weather, will be a big help for the bobcats.

In my bracket picks I've had Montana State winning this one all along. Though that is not smack towards Sam Houston. MSU just has a very good team. They are much better than they've looked lately. Perhaps they peaked too early, and perhaps still suffer some shell shock from the beat down by the Grizzlies. If so, SHSU will roll them. Though if MSU has some early success on offense it will build their confidence. Ultimately I think they'll come out of Huntsville with the win. Good luck to both teams. Hope our Grizzlies take care of business and we are ready for either of you. Love the playoffs!!!

AgentOrange
December 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Ever since we beat UTSA in a "closer than what I'm usually comfortable with game" back in October, I've been approaching every Bearkat game with a sense of cautious optimism. Any slip up or sluggish performance from either side of the ball can cause the train to fly off its tracks and become a disaster. Just look at the Houston Cougars.

Every single week I've gone to the games wondering, "How good is Sam Houston State, exactly?" The Southland isn't necessarily a true barometer when it comes to sizing up national championship contenders. I'm glad we're finally back in the playoffs and seeing what we can do, although I will still be asking myself the same question again when I walk up to Bowers Stadium this Saturday. We certainly didn't have our best game last week, but did we also get one of Stony Brook's better games? Who knows?

This match up this weekend is too close for even a huge Bearkat honk like me to call. All I can say is that it's going to be close, turnovers will be the deciding factor, and I am REALLY hoping everything clicks for Sam Houston State.

Bobcat in NC
December 7th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Why not? We have recent experience.

EXACTLY. If anything, you should be begging us for that advice. xlolx

I'll give it to you for free: DON'T do what we did in Bozeman a few weeks ago! Review the game film and, if the Cats did something in that game, do the exact opposite. Pretty simple...

Sam_Kats
December 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I don't think you'll find very many Sam fans that think this will NOT be a close one...we're expecting a battle.

THE DANIMAL
December 7th, 2011, 03:45 PM

+1 xlolxxlolxxlolx

Bearkats94
December 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I hope our coaches got some game film of the MSU vs. UM game. That could be helpful.

Cleets
December 7th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I hope our coaches got some game film of the MSU vs. UM game. That could be helpful.

Indeed...
The NDSU /MSU playoff game film from 12 months ago I'm sure was very instructional the as well - They dismantled the Bobcats

CopperCat
December 7th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Indeed...
The NDSU /MSU playoff game film from 12 months ago I'm sure was very instructional the as well - They dismantled the Bobcats

Film from 12 months ago? I think they would benefit more from focusing on recent past, specifically how MSU schemed against Portland State being how PSU ran out of the pistol this year.

X-Factor
December 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Indeed...

It is good film, but unlikely that SHSU could replicate that strategy unless they have similar athletes to NDSU. The Bison are huge on the O-line and D-line. That is how we beat MSU; push them around. I would imagine the Bobcat lines arn't a whole lot different this year. I would think SHSU will spend more time looking at the Montana film from a few weeks ago, however. It would be a lot more relevant like FTG06 is saying.

I do like MSU in this matchup.
Brawl of the Wild part dos is my official prediction, only at a different venue this time! Either way, this weekend should have 4 excellent games to watch.

Grizzlies82
December 7th, 2011, 10:40 PM
You can guarantee SHSU has gone over the Montana-Montana State game frame by frame. Obviously they're studying how the Grizzlies ran over the bobcats. Yet they (SHSU) also assume they'll be winning this weekend and so will want to have that jump in breaking down Montana. Each coach is probably sleeping with a copy of that game this week.

CopperCat
December 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM
It is good film, but unlikely that SHSU could replicate that strategy unless they have similar athletes to NDSU. The Bison are huge on the O-line and D-line. That is how we beat MSU; push them around. I would imagine the Bobcat lines arn't a whole lot different this year. I would think SHSU will spend more time looking at the Montana film from a few weeks ago, however. It would be a lot more relevant like FTG06 is saying.

I do like MSU in this matchup.
Brawl of the Wild part dos is my official prediction, only at a different venue this time! Either way, this weekend should have 4 excellent games to watch.

They actually are, each line averaging 15-20 pounds bigger. The O-line didn't have a single guy over 300 last year. Now they have two, with several others being right behind them. I think the way MSU has run the ball this year is evidence that the O-line committed itself to being bigger and more powerful early on before the season even started. So yes, the lines are different this year.

Walkon79
December 8th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Indeed...

For the last 7 minutes. We had the lead in the 4th quarter, remember?

CopperCat
December 8th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Facts won't change their minds.

MSUBobcat
December 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Its unfortunate that a thread about one of 4 quarterfinals has been pushed to page 2 because of the need to start an infinite number of threads about how unfair it is that comments on a public forum can have negative repercussions xrolleyesx. Figured I'd bump it back to the front.

Both teams boast solid defenses and high powered offenses. As others have stated, this will likely be won in the trenches. Playing the #1 seed on their field is a daunting challenge, but given that quite a few Bobcats are from the Lone Star State and that McGhee seems to play much better in warmer weather, I think the Bobcats have a good opportunity to do their part to align the stars for a Brawl of the Wild II. My (homerish) pick... MSU 27, SHSU 24.

FargoBison
December 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM

Yes the game was closer than the score but the fourth quarter was beatdown. If anything NDSU showed what happens if you constantly get to McGhee, not sure if SHSU has the DL to get that done though.

Cleets
December 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM

Ursus and I just had that conversation exactly...
He was explaining how the score was not at all relative to the competitiveness of the game

Walkon79
December 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Rational Griz Fans??

I'm buying a lotto ticket today!

Cats 27
Kats 24

NDB
December 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM

there are 60 minutes in regulation.

Walkon79
December 9th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I know. you wore us down and finished, the Cats didn't. But we didn't get OWNED for 60 minutes like many on here suggest.

Grizalltheway
December 9th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I know. you wore us down and finished, the Cats didn't. But we didn't get OWNED for 60 minutes like many on here suggest.

You're right, they must be thinking of this year's Griz/cat game. xthumbsupx

mtbigdog
December 9th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I'm so looking forward to playing the Cats' again next weekend! This is the one and only time I will root for the Kitties. Go Cat's !!!!(I think I just gagged) :D

BisonBacker
December 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I originally thought SHSU would take this one but I'm going with Montana State. I think they got the crappy game out of their system and SHSU struggled against SB which really surprised me. Weather won't be a factor either so I think Montana State is going to keep their end of the bargain for that rematch. Will Montana be able to?? Odds are with them but UNI is a tough team. Will be interesting to see if there will be a second version of the Griz/Cats this year.

Squealofthepig
December 9th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Anyone have numbers on number of Bobcats escapi... err, making the trip from Bozeman down to Huntsville?

Huntsville's pretty nice - the big white statue is a bit odd, but the community is great, and they'll feed you well (as I've learned from Rocky Raccoon/Sunmart races there).

Sam_Kats
December 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Oh, come on - Big Sam on I-45 is the real deal.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/137-for-many-bobcat-players-a-homecoming-at-sam-houston-state-in-the-quarterfinals

For many Bobcat players, a homecoming at Sam Houston State in the quarterfinals.

Catbooster
December 10th, 2011, 12:43 AM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/137-for-many-bobcat-players-a-homecoming-at-sam-houston-state-in-the-quarterfinals

For many Bobcat players, a homecoming at Sam Houston State in the quarterfinals.

Nice article.

But you have Tray listed as a reserve linebacker. He's our second running back.

TexasTerror
December 10th, 2011, 06:58 AM
You know what to do...

HUNTSVILLE - Sam Houston State doesn't mind waiting until the fourth quarter to put opponents away.

However, it usually doesn't take that long for the Bearkats.

Sam Houston State (12-0) has been adept this season at dominating on both sides of the ball in the third quarter, often putting games out of reach by the start of the fourth quarter. But against Stony Brook last Saturday in the second round of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs, the Bearkats used their third-quarter push to regain control of the game.

http://www.chron.com/sports/college-football/article/SHSU-tries-to-take-next-step-vs-Montana-St-in-2393603.php

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I originally thought SHSU would take this one but I'm going with Montana State. I think they got the crappy game out of their system and SHSU struggled against SB which really surprised me.

I originally thought Stoney would take this one after the upset of overrated Sammy last week..... my bracket is screwed for going with not 1 but 2 upsets...

as for today, lets just say they picked the wrong game to show on TV, Sammy will be lucky not to get embarrassed at home

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I originally thought Stoney would take this one after the upset of overrated Sammy last week..... my bracket is screwed for going with not 1 but 2 upsets...

as for today, lets just say they picked the wrong game to show on TV, Sammy will be lucky not to get embarrassed at home

SHSU is a good team. Montana State will have to play very well to win.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2011, 07:22 AM
SHSU is a good team.

good team? thats the $64,000 question, they looked horrid last week, look for Montana State to light up the Sammy secondary and get ready for your in state semi final re-match.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2011, 07:31 AM
good team? thats the $64,000 question, they looked horrid last week, look for Montana State to light up the Sammy secondary and get ready for your in state semi final re-match.

Ya, they are a good team.

I have watched them twice this year....they are good. Every team has "bad or poor" games. Good teams win even when they do not play their best.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Ya, they are a good team.

I have watched them twice this year....they are good. Every team has "bad or poor" games. Good teams win even when they do not play their best.

We will know for sure in a few hours, I am just not feeling any love for Sammy for some reason

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2011, 09:40 AM
SHSU wins 34-21.....

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Half an hour away - anyone have any reports from the field? Full crowd? Good atmosphere?

Temps are about 40 degrees warmer than here in Montana (50s vs. teens here in Missoula), but clear, so weather shouldn't be a factor.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Honestly, I think if the Cats win, it'll be close. If the Kats win, it could be by a couple scores. SHSU is undefeated for a reason, they will be a very tough matchup, and the Cats haven't been playing their best football the last few games.

That being said, go Cats with a C!

paul1978
December 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM
SHSU wins 34-21.....

Looks like you made a typo, it should be "MSU wins 34 - 21"
xnodxxthumbsupxxsmileyclapx

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Bracket... drink. :)

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Bracket, drink.

ESPN has started their coverage - looks to be a nice sunny day, and crowd looks boisterous and much bigger than SHSU's season average.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:05 AM
SHSU to receive.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:07 AM
CAA refs.

False start on SHSU's first play from scrimmage; 1st and 15 at their 15.

HailSzczur
December 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Penalty before the first play....what a way to start

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Center seems a bit off; he's pitching the ball high to SHSU's qb. 3rd and 13.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Punt, Montana State ball at their own 44.

Reulbach
Good start for the Montana St. D.

catbob
Cats force a 3 and out, and SHSU bad punt, cats get the ball on their own 45. Let's get it going!

Squealofthepig
Some good noise made while on D; false start on the Cats.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Calm down boys.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah, some jitters there too. This is starting out looking to be a defensive slugfest. Third and long now for the Cats.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:13 AM
McGhee does not have touch on these kinds of throws...

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:13 AM
So, each team's first series:

False start on first down.
Not much on first and second down.
Third and thirteen on third down.
Punt.

How's that for an odd mirror?

HailSzczur
December 10th, 2011, 11:14 AM
So, each team's first series:

False start on first down.
Not much on first and second down.
Third and thirteen on third down.
Punt.

How's that for an odd mirror?

and after 4 minutes and 2 series SHSU is right back to where they started the game. weird

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Keep it up D!

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Cats doing a good job stringing out the sweep there.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I got here late. have I missed a bracket?

HailSzczur
December 10th, 2011, 11:17 AM
It looks so warm there, makes me wish I was down south right now

catbob
Picked off!!

NoDak 4 Ever
Wow, that was about the worst pick I have ever seen thrown.

Squealofthepig
ESPN: "SHSU's bell doesn't turn the ball over."

Bell: Turns the ball over, Cats ball on the Bearkat 30ish

HailSzczur
December 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Finally a first down

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Akpla gets the game's first first down, down to about the 20.

veinup
December 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
akplaaaaaaa! i just woke up from my griz coma, is this streaming online anywhere?

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:20 AM
akplaaaaaaa! i just woke up from my griz coma, is this streaming online anywhere?

Not sure - have it on ESPN here in Missoula.

1st and 10 at the Bearkat 11. Timeout on the field.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM

PMed.

HailSzczur
December 10th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Wow, never realized there were so many Texans at MSU

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:23 AM
SHSU is packing the box pretty well. 2nd & 9 from the 10.

catbob
Wow, never realized there were so many Texans at MSU

Only since Ash got here.

HailSzczur
I love when announcers say stupid, obvious things.
Sam Houston doesn't like being behind in football games

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Nice playcalling there Cats... ugh. Come on Cunningham!

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:25 AM
SHSU is packing the box pretty well. 2nd & 9 from the 10.

Good pressure on McGhee on second and third down. FG attempt coming (4th and 9 from the 10)

Squealofthepig
Cunningham comes through
3-0 Bobcats, 9:04 in the first.

NoDak 4 Ever
Bracket!!!

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Bracket!!!

My poor liver...

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:27 AM
More ESPN brilliance there: turnovers matter.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM
You mean it might be harder to move the ball against a team NOT from the Southland?!!??!!

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Minter is a beast.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Argh, stay on your man CB.

Squealofthepig
Good timing on the option pitch there, first down SHSU.

catbob
Ghords...

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Hey look, SHSU fumbles (and gains yards).

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Wow, are you kidding me with that hold by the WR downfield?

Squealofthepig
Damn, big play. 56 yard pickup (and GREAT use of your downfield blocker, as catbob points out). SHSU ball at the Bobcat 13.

unknown-swac
So the refs just didnt see that SUPER HOLD on SHSU on that long run play? How the hell do you not call that?

veinup
December 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM
super cold on the super hold.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM
TD SHSU. Official review?

veinup
December 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
"you only need one foot in bounds in college!". thanks, commentator! enlighten me further!

damn that kid needs a haircut.

unknown-swac
December 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
That was pretty pathetic

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:39 AM
"you only need one foot in bounds in college!". thanks, commentator! enlighten me further!

He's beiber-ific!

TD confirmed, 7-3 Bearkats 4:50 in the first.

Cocky
December 10th, 2011, 11:40 AM

You guys have to remember ESPN normally broadcast FBS games whos fans are not real bright.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:41 AM
McGhee's looking a bit rattled; SHSU seems to be doing a good job of disguising looks.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Setting up the playaction...

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Setting up the playaction...

Yep. And McGhee's hopefully returning to form, taking what the defense gives him. Some nice running gaps (albeit small) are opening up.

Cats into SHSU territory at the 47.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:46 AM
And Cats down to the 20. Good mix of plays. And now down to the 11.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
1st and goal at the 9... gotta get 7 here boys!

RabidRabbit
December 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Two off tackle runs, now three, and 1st downs on 2 of 3. Kats need to stiffen to have a chance vs Cats.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Third and goal at the five.

End of the first. 7-3 SHSU.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Come on Cats... No FG!

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Wow... we tried the ol fake scramble then throw a TD near the LOS play...

bullitt_60
Got it to the 9 and dropped the playbook.

UNIFanSince1983
What is with MSU's play calling near the endzone? Terrible!

LehighFan11
December 10th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Awful pass plays in the red zone. The field is already short enough, dont shorten it further by rolling out.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:53 AM
What is with MSU's play calling near the endzone? Terrible!

Tell me about it...

unknown-swac
December 10th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Whoever is calling redzone plays for Montana State is garbage. How do you drive the field like that twice and then just stall in the redzone? They should be dominating this game right now SHSU hasn't done much of anything aside from that long play (which shouldve been called back.)

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Phew...

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Kats are starting to get their offense going. Cats defense needs to figure this out.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Make Bell keep it 80% of the time.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Make Bell keep it 80% of the time.

Agree. He's gotta break at some point. I don't see many college quarterbacks that I feel I could take in a fair fight!

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Bracket. Drink.

asumike83
December 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
This has been a fun game to watch, first time I have seen SHSU play this year. Both teams look pretty strong defensively but after what I saw from Montana last night, I'm not sure either of them can take down the Griz.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Wellp, shut my mouth. We gotta stop kicking FGs if we are going to keep up.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Wellp, shut my mouth. We gotta stop kicking FGs if we are going to keep up.

Yeah, they've definitely got some speed - gotta limit the big plays.

Oh, I still think I could take their quarterback, but he'd outrun me before I even had a chance.

hawkineer
December 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM
So far, SHSU looks like a #1 seed!

bullitt_60
December 10th, 2011, 12:06 PM
That was some bad defense. Both of these teams look a little slow to me.

veinup
December 10th, 2011, 12:07 PM
bieber can move.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Start throwing some passes. Our playcalling has been questionable the last few games.

catbob
HOLY ****

Squealofthepig
And THAT is why Akpla is a stud. Sportscenter!

veinup
December 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM
AKPLAAAAAA.

HailSzczur
wow

Reulbach
That catch was dirty. Reminded me of Prothro's with a better landing...

asumike83
Wow. That was one of the best catches I have ever seen!

hawkineer
Wow, that makes ESPN's Top 10!

veinup
December 10th, 2011, 12:10 PM
jesus christ what a catch. hoping for the akpla/johnson reunion next week!

LehighFan11
December 10th, 2011, 12:11 PM
easiest hold call i've ever seen

catbob
Cannot give up a TD now. Come on defense.

Squealofthepig
Cats are leaving way too many points on the board (though that was a tough fieldgoal with that wind). Still, playcalling, c'mon!

bullitt_60
December 10th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Start throwing some passes. Our playcalling has been questionable the last few games.

They had success running out of the I formation and since then have changed backs and gone to the pistol?

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 12:14 PM
EVERYONE moving.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Good stop by the Cats (helped by TWO offensive penalties).

LehighFan11
December 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Sam Houston does have legit speed. 2 or 3 ball carriers are home run hitters. Why does this sincere kid not do punts and kicks?!

westdakotabison
December 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM
score?

bullitt_60
December 10th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Aw, crikey. An 18 yard punt.

Squealofthepig
score?

14-6 Kats. MSU ball at their own 47, 1st and 10 coming up.

bullitt_60
14-6 SHSU

westdakotabison
December 10th, 2011, 12:18 PM
thanks

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Wow we are predictable...

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Put some Got damn air under those balls McGhee

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Kats option is killing the Cats D... if we don't figure this out, we are going to get creamed.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Kats option is killing the Cats D... if we don't figure this out, we are going to get creamed.

Agree, and not getting too much pressure when they do drop back.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 12:25 PM
You know it's not your day when that happens.

veinup
unfortunate.

Squealofthepig
Lady luck REALLY hates the Bobcats.

LehighFan11
What a joke

MTfan4life
That better make Top 10 plays. Dah nah nah Dah nah nah!

WileECoyote06
December 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Top Ten play!xsmileyclapx

catbob
Need an answer before half. NEED.

veinup
heads up play by sincere. cats gotta hang through this storm, they'll come back.

Bogus Megapardus
December 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM
This is the first time I've seen Sam Houston State play. I have to say, I'm very impressed.

HailSzczur
was it just me or was Flanders hobbling off alittle?

catbob
We're reminding me of UNI last night. Had a few chances to make some plays early, but the breaks didn't go their way, and they got blown out.

WileECoyote06
December 10th, 2011, 12:28 PM
This is the first time I've seen Sam Houston State play. I have to say, I'm very impressed.

Yep they look solid. i think i chose them to advance though. lol

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
There's the classic McGhee. Curses that he's a sophomore!

veinup
December 10th, 2011, 12:30 PM
yeah, my first time watching SHSU as well. judging by this half of football, they got more chops than i've given em credit for.

Squealofthepig
December 10th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Also impressed with SHSU. Still concerned primarily with Bobcats' playcalling, but Kats' D has been impressive against the run and the pass.

HailSzczur
December 10th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Wow, looked like a busted play, way to take a hit

hawkineer
December 10th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Need a TD here, a FG won't cut it.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM
WTF is this playcalling??

Squealofthepig
Good CB play there staying home. Fourth down at the 23 or so.

LehighFan11
Fire this OC at half pls. Akpla isn't in on 3rd down and they run a play action with 21 secs left?

HailSzczur
December 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Good CB play there staying home. Fourth down at the 23 or so.

Decent kick into the wind

WileECoyote06
Kept em out of the endzone again. . .

bullitt_60
Who runs play action on 3rd and 10?

Squealofthepig
And blocked. Great first half from SHSU.

veinup
December 10th, 2011, 12:37 PM
smfh.

WileECoyote06
boy oh boy. .when it rains it pours.

bullitt_60
Looks like SHSU is better than I thought.

HailSzczur
Just been one of those kind of games today for MSU
3rd block of the year for that guy, wow

catbob
We can't do anything. Better make some big ******** half time adjustments.

Bogus Megapardus
Blocked FG - Sam Houston is destined, it seems.

BEAR
Ouch. Looks like the Southland is making a statement. xlolx

Engineer86

I saw some of last weeks game, but this does not look like the same team they do look good!

RabidRabbit
December 10th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Great half for Kats. Demoralizing half for Cats.

catbob
December 10th, 2011, 12:38 PM
We need a TD right out of the game in the 2nd half.

WileECoyote06
December 10th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I saw some of last weeks game, but this does not look like the same team they do look good!

Maybe Stony Brook was a decent team. lol. .

penguinpower
December 10th, 2011, 12:40 PM
SH has a nice DL

BEAR
December 10th, 2011, 12:41 PM
So IF SHSU wins, does Montana go to Sammie?