2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 49-17 (19-9 SLC)
2011 Record: 49-10 (20-6 SLC)
Total: 228-86 (92-49 SLC)

Southland Conference - Postseason Week Three Game Listing
Montana State at Sam Houston State

TT's Analysis and Game Predictions

Montana State at Sam Houston State

The pundits on this board have circled these two teams as the 'worst performing' in the second round that have advanced to the quarterfinals. Oddly enough, ESPN thought highly enough of this contest to play it on its airwaves.

I do not think either team performed to its capabilities and I believe that SHSU played an opponent too similar to them in Stony Brook that was a complete mismatch for the Kats. Nonetheless, the ultimate 'game manager' Brian Bell came through when he had to as did Payton #7 finisher Tim Flanders.

Which team will play a complete game? We won't be playing with Big Sky officials, which probably accounted for SHSU not winning the last by double-digits. And will SHSU give up the 'explosions' that accounted for most of the offense against them in the last one?

Home crowd edge tips the 'pick'em' to SAM HOUSTON STATE and this may be as far as I am willing to take the Kats.

blackfordpu
December 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
MSU @ SHSU

sgt smash
December 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM
MSU @ SHSU

He he..ok.

Dallas Demon
December 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Montana State @ Sam Houston State - Montana teams are great in the cold north and have a distinct advantage. This one is not being played in the cold north, where Montana teams are average at best.

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Montana State @ Sam Houston State - Montana teams are great in the cold north and have a distinct advantage. This one is not being played in the cold north, where Montana teams are average at best.

About half that Montana State roster is from Texas...

Dallas Demon
December 4th, 2011, 03:17 PM
About half that Montana State roster is from Texas...

Are they only traveling up on the weekends to play the games? Or have they been there to get acclimated to the conditions for a while?

McNeese75
December 4th, 2011, 03:32 PM
If SHSU plays up to their capability this will be a good game and I think there is a very good chance for the Kats to win at home. If they play sloppy, they are going to get it handed to them by the Cats

Cat79
December 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM
SB has made Sam Houston awaken. Now that Sam Houston is wide awake Montana State gets to see the Sam Houston A game this week. Sam Houston wins this one at home.

purplebear72
December 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I was way wrong about my Bears against Montana prediction but my Sam vs SB was right on. I felt like last week was a trap game for Sam. Last weeks prediction for UCA vs Montana was from my heart. The SHSU vs SB was from the head. The head tells me that Sam will play better and beat Montana St. with less struggle than they had with SB. However, it will not be a blowout. Good luck to the Kats!

Cat79
December 4th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I was way wrong about my Bears against Montana prediction but my Sam vs SB was right on. I felt like last week was a trap game for Sam. Last weeks prediction for UCA vs Montana was from my heart. The SHSU vs SB was from the head. The head tells me that Sam will play better and beat Montana St. with less struggle than they had with SB. However, it will not be a blowout. Good luck to the Kats!

Montana is a tough place to be sent. You have to fight not only the elements but their tremendous home field advantage. You guys had a good year and learned the same lesson we did in 2008 about playing at Montana.

purplebear72
December 5th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Montana is a tough place to be sent. You have to fight not only the elements but their tremendous home field advantage. You guys had a good year and learned the same lesson we did in 2008 about playing at Montana.

Very true and thanks! I think perception hurts Southland teams. We lose to schools like Montana in the playoffs playing in their elements and so we end up losing and being ranked behind those teams before the next season starts. Not to mention since you lose to that team and always ranked below them, the NCAA committee will keep giving them the home playoff game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that teams like Montana can't come down here and beat our teams but it looks historically that Southland schools have not much of an opportunity to prove themselves at home. I guess Sam Houston has that opportunity with Montana State (Don't let us down Sam!".

I think UCA needs to rethink scheduling. Instead of playing a D2 school, the 7 Southland games, 2 FBS schools, and a non-conference FCS game, we should instead schedule the 7 Southland confence games, 3 non-conference FCS games (maybe against one or two name games like Montana, Northern Iowa, or Georgia Southern), one FBS game, absolutely no D2 teams. I wish we could play Southern Conference teams (I actually think we have a winning record against them, not to mention I love to travel the Southeast). We need to get that old Florida State like attitude "We'll play anybody, anwhere, and anytime" attitude.

BTW, I hate our competition between us will probably end, but good luck to you guys in the WAC...I think y'all will do well there!

Dallas Demon
December 5th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Very true and thanks! I think perception hurts Southland teams. We lose to schools like Montana in the playoffs playing in their elements and so we end up losing and being ranked behind those teams before the next season starts. Not to mention since you lose to that team and always ranked below them, the NCAA committee will keep giving them the home playoff game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that teams like Montana can't come down here and beat our teams but it looks historically that Southland schools have not much of an opportunity to prove themselves at home. I guess Sam Houston has that opportunity with Montana State (Don't let us down Sam!".

I think UCA needs to rethink scheduling. Instead of playing a D2 school, the 7 Southland games, 2 FBS schools, and a non-conference FCS game, we should instead schedule the 7 Southland confence games, 3 non-conference FCS games (maybe against one or two name games like Montana, Northern Iowa, or Georgia Southern), one FBS game, absolutely no D2 teams. I wish we could play Southern Conference teams (I actually think we have a winning record against them, not to mention I love to travel the Southeast). We need to get that old Florida State like attitude "We'll play anybody, anwhere, and anytime" attitude.

BTW, I hate our competition between us will probably end, but good luck to you guys in the WAC...I think y'all will do well there!

All Southland schools need to start scheduling like this if possible. Unfortunately, the 2 FBS games probably are necessary due to funding. But I agree, get rid of the 1 Division II game. This might mean one less home game every other year, however.

Cleets
December 5th, 2011, 01:04 AM

All of your post is SPOT ON
That's why this game against Montana State has so many implications that extend beyond the game itself - this is a HUGE (huge) game for the Southland

GeauxLions94
December 5th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Sorry, end of the line for the Kats ... taking Monty State in a squeaker