PDA

View Full Version : Montana Nepotism

Ronin
December 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Does Montana deserves home field advantage throughout the playoffs? A quick review of the facts.

Rankings Poll
#3 UNI
#5 Montana

Rankings Sagrin
#2 UNI
#3 Montana

Records
UNI 9-2
Montana 9-2

Strength of Schedule (ranked opponents)
UNI 5
Montana 1

Championship Committee
Jim O’Day - Montana “Politics play into everything.”

Phrebert
December 4th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Hmm Attendance Numbers
UCA - Montana 22000
Wooford- uni - 7000
Does uni have a math department to explain?

fencer24
December 4th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Are you saying that you can't win at Wa-Griz?

Grizzaholic
December 4th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I wonder if UNI will be trading tapes this time around...

MTfan4life
December 4th, 2011, 10:18 AM
In 2007 both UNI and Montana were undefeated and UNI got the #1 seed. However, maybe if UNI had a better tradition in the playoffs, they wouldn't have to complain about getting the shaft when it came time to seed. You can't blame the committee for giving extra credit to a team that's finished in the top 4 nine times in the last 16 years.

SideLine Shooter
December 4th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Does Montana deserves home field advantage throughout the playoffs? A quick review of the facts.

Rankings Poll
#3 UNI
#5 Montana

Rankings Sagrin
#2 UNI
#3 Montana

Records
UNI 9-2
Montana 9-2

UNI 5
Montana 1

Championship Committee

Damned right!!!

NTN GRIZ
December 4th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Number 1 seed - conference champion / conference auto berth = earned a seed
Number 2 seed - conference champion / conference auto berth = earned a seed
Number 3 seed - conference champion / conference auto berth = earned a seed
Number 4 seed - conference champion / conference auto berth = earned a seed
Number 5 seed = didn't take care of business on the field (next time beat NDSU and make it a non-issue). The real question is did they earn a seed? Certainly not 1-4.

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Nepotism: I don't think that word means what you think it means...

http://multimedia.billybrew.com/inigo-montoya.jpeg

putter
December 4th, 2011, 10:45 AM
O'Day can't even be in the room when the committee talks about Montana...

Phrebert
December 4th, 2011, 10:49 AM
uni can use the Nepotism excuse,
Travel to Wa-Griz for Baptism by fire
Prepare for the Cataclysm
from the Aneurysm that will happen

Squealofthepig
December 4th, 2011, 10:53 AM
C'mon, I thought we were done with the whiny UNI fans.

Anyone know where I can buy VHS tapes for the game Friday? :)

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I'm not done discussing the definition of Nepotism...

PantherRob82
December 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Seriously? This week is going to be annoying with all the trolls from both teams coming out of the woodwork.

Squealofthepig
December 4th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Seriously? This week is going to be annoying with all the trolls from both teams coming out of the woodwork.

^ At least one UNI fan we won't complain about. I still reserve the right for good-natured smack-talk with ya though.

Green26
December 4th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Let the UNI excuses begin. I suppose it's going to be too cold from the UNI domers to play outside.

Jeez, strength of schedule is one of the primary factors. This joker wants a higher seed, when his team can't even win the conference and barely wins their last game over a non-playoff team.

And once again, UNI didn't honor a request to provide tapes last week. Farley is such an asshole. He and this will help fire up the UM crowd as it's done in the past.

PantherRob82
December 4th, 2011, 10:59 AM
^ At least one UNI fan we won't complain about. I still reserve the right for good-natured smack-talk with ya though.

You won't get it from me.

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM

We might not have a site here without the TROLLs
They are an integral portion of the model

UNI Pike
December 4th, 2011, 11:04 AM
This topic's expiration's date was 3 weeks ago (or more). Game time & place have been set. Strap it on & get to it.

Phrebert
December 4th, 2011, 11:05 AM
You won't get it from me.

Aww

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Let the UNI excuses begin. I suppose it's going to be too cold from the UNI domers to play outside.

Jeez, strength of schedule is one of the primary factors. This joker wants a higher seed, when his team can't even win the conference and barely wins their last game over a non-playoff team.

And once again, UNI didn't honor a request to provide tapes last week. Farley is such an asshole. He and this will help fire up the UM crowd as it's done in the past.

UNI's last game against Ill State.....Ill State would beat a lot of teams in the playoffs this year.....very good defense and a good QB.

You're right about Farley....he is an a**hole!

Squealofthepig
December 4th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Aww

I know, right? He sticks to facts and remains reasonable and objective and doesn't complain just for the sake of complaining. Some online fan, right? xsmiley_wix

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I know, right? He sticks to facts and remains reasonable and objective and doesn't complain just for the sake of complaining. Some online fan, right? xsmiley_wix

We can't build a website around that model...
Chaos is required

FCS Go!
December 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Did UNI beat the number 1 ranked team the day before seeding was decided? For that matter how many number 1 ranked teams did UNI defeat this season? Montana hasn't lost since September- has UNI?

Like it or not this has always been how late season rankings or seeding has been decided. I believed UNI was a top-3 team all season and would have had them ahead of the Griz until yesterday. UNI looked piss-poor in the first half and had the game handed to them by Wofford in the second half. Unfortunately their performance yesterday confirms that the committee got it right. This is the wrong moment to be arguing that they deserve a better seed. Save this for next week and, if UNI is still in the tourney, you'll have a better argumentxsmiley_wix.

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
At least in two weeks we will get a Montana team to come to our Dome! ;)

PantherRob82
December 4th, 2011, 12:02 PM
We can't build a website around that model...
Chaos is required

What am I supposed to say: "Wash-Griz isn't THAT loud", "Wash-Griz isn't THAT cold", "the Big Sky is weak"? xlolx

Phrebert
December 4th, 2011, 12:05 PM
At least in two weeks we will get a Montana team to come to our Dome! ;)

You gotta a small side trip to Wa-Griz first.

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 12:07 PM
What am I supposed to say: "Wash-Griz isn't THAT loud", "Wash-Griz isn't THAT cold", "the Big Sky is weak"? xlolx

That's a pretty good start actually

HailSzczur
December 4th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I'm not done discussing the definition of Nepotism...

I could see where Ronin might mistake Montana as a family member of the Committee. :D

swaghook
December 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
What am I supposed to say: "Wash-Griz isn't THAT loud", "Wash-Griz isn't THAT cold", "the Big Fluff is weak"? xlolx

Fixed it for ya. ;)

veinup
December 4th, 2011, 12:35 PM
nepotism:

Undue attachment to relations; favoritism shown to members of
one's family; bestowal of patronage in consideration of
relationship, rather than of merit or of legal claim.

favoritism shown to relatives or close friends by those in
power (as by giving them jobs)

the term doesn't apply here.

Grizcountry420
December 4th, 2011, 12:36 PM
But... But.. But..

veinup
December 4th, 2011, 12:39 PM
i think "favoritism" is closer to what you're talking about. does montana get preferential treatment sometimes? definitely. why? look at our history. look at our records. look at our tradition. look at our stadium. look at the size of our fanbase. this isn't rocket science bro.

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
All this might have seemed like an easy road for Montana
Right up until Maine beat App in Boone
ODU played GSU right down to the wire
and LU Mountain Hawks beat the CAA champions on the road...

The "Tough side" of the bracket just got turned upside down

Ronin
December 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Hmmmm.... let's see if it's about money why not join the BCS?

Are you saying Montana can't win on the road. Or is having home games through the playoffs the only reason why they win.

"Look at our history. look at our records. look at our tradition. look at our stadium. look at the size of our fanbase. this isn't rocket science bro. "

So seeding should be based on tradition? Why have a playoff. Those claiming the highest number of fans win? Really? Are you that juvenile?

BearIt
December 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Ronin,
You make it sound like Montana having a seed is completely unfounded? Do you feel there is absolutely no basis for them to have a seed? Should they have had a 1st round play in game?

Sometimes tough decisions have to be made between two teams that look fairly equal on paper. I think the complete domination on the road of the team that everyone felt was #1 in the nation in the last game of the season probably tipped the scales in Montana's favor. No scandal going on.

I think most people outside of a few UNI fans can see the logic of the seeding. I also think if the reverse were true, everyone would be OK with it as well.

If you feel history and tradition don't matter then you can go commiserate with the fans of the Big South, OVC, NEC, Pioneer Conference... You guys can talk all day long about how it is unfair that 9-2 teams from other conferences get more respect in the polls and playoffs.

It is how it is. You should just be really glad you made it past the second round and move on.

twentythreeOh4
December 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM
UNI 5
Montana 1

Not sure how you calculated this?

It appears to me that UNI's best win and ONLY win against a ranked team was at #18 Illinois St. (7-4) 23-20 OT. Montana's best win was at #7 MSU (10-2) 36-10.

As far as strength of conferences, the Big Sky has had a team in the last 3 national championship games. I don't believe the MVC/Gateway has ever done that. No way the MVC should get TWO teams seeded ahead of the 9-2 Big Sky champion. Montana clearly deserved a top 4 seed.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 4th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hmmmm.... let's see if it's about money why not join the BCS?

Are you saying Montana can't win on the road. Or is having home games through the playoffs the only reason why they win.

"Look at our history. look at our records. look at our tradition. look at our stadium. look at the size of our fanbase. this isn't rocket science bro. "

So seeding should be based on tradition? Why have a playoff. Those claiming the highest number of fans win? Really? Are you that juvenile?

You do realize we've been to your house and beaten your *** don't ya? You didn't get the autobid, you aren't a top 4, sorry about that but it doesn't matter where this game is played you will still be O fer against the Griz when it's all siad and done.

I was very impressed with UNI's defense yesterday though.

I do love you conspiracy nuts and your little excuses that you come up with for why things didn't work out perfectly for ya.

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM
You do realize we've been to your house and beaten your *** don't ya? You didn't get the autobid, you aren't a top 4, sorry about that but it doesn't matter where this game is played you will still be O fer against the Griz when it's all siad and done.

I do love you conspiracy nuts and your little excuses that you come up with for why things didn't work out perfectly for ya.

Well look who crawled out of the sewer and graced us with his presence, Ursus-bad breath-asaurous

ursus arctos horribilis
December 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Well look who crawled out of the sewer and graced us with his presence, Ursus-bad breath-asaurous

Shut it ***** I ain't got time to beat you down too I'm a workin' man with workin' to do. If you persist in the idle chatter I'll kick a lung out of you and make some "Cleets Pâté" for dinner.

I didn't even get to read the whole thread so if what I posted has already been said the I'll give a "X 2" to whoever was gonna make Cleets Pâté previous to my comments.

frozennorth
December 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Uni should be very satisfied with their seed.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 4th, 2011, 02:17 PM
This topic's expiration's date was 3 weeks ago (or more). Game time & place have been set. Strap it on & get to it.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Griz4ever
December 4th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Shut it ***** I ain't got time to beat you down too I'm a workin' man with workin' to do. If you persist in the idle chatter I'll kick a lung out of you and make some "Cleets Pâté" for dinner.

I didn't even get to read the whole thread so if what I posted has already been said the I'll give a "X 2" to whoever was gonna make Cleets Pâté previous to my comments.

I just read the whole thread so I'll go "X2"....

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Shut it ***** I ain't got time to beat you down too I'm a workin' man with workin' to do.

If by work you mean Alka-Seltzer... then Okay you better get to "work"

MTfan4life
December 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM
The committee could have just rewarded Towson with the 5 seed for winning the CAA and sent UNI to Bozeman. I think they should be satisfied with what they got.

PantherRob82
December 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM

Did you win in the early to mid 80s in Cedar Falls? I know we played UM and MSU in the same year.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
If by work you mean Alka-Seltzer... then Okay you better get to "work"

Doesn't make me a bad person.

But on top of that there could be some wrench turning on an Arctic Cat engine and some shrink wrapping using my 150,000 BTU flame thrower whilst recovering some serious celebration time yesterday...in otehr words I'm doing manly **** that you wouldn't understand so why don't you go back to your finely pressed world and stop inserting the feminine qualities into a conversation men are having.

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Doesn't make me a bad person.

But on top of that there could be some wrench turning on an Arctic Cat engine and some shrink wrapping using my 150,000 BTU flame thrower whilst recovering some serious celebration time yesterday...in otehr words I'm doing manly **** that you wouldn't understand so why don't you go back to your finely pressed world and stop inserting the feminine qualities into a conversation men are having.

Finely pressed world...
2 points for that little jab xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Did you win in the early to mid 80s in Cedar Falls? I know we played UM and MSU in the same year.

Yeah in 87 with the like of D1B and another board Stalwart by the name of Cap'n Cat anchoring the lines. Of course those guys are like you in that they are respectful fans so I certainly don't mean any of the jibber Jabber to bleed over to over to guys like you but Ronin can do some very whiny stuff that I have trouble overlooking. He keeps me on alert and I thank him for that.

bojeta
December 4th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Rankings Poll
#3 UNI
#5 Montana

Rankings Sagrin
#2 UNI
#3 Montana

Records
UNI 9-2
Montana 9-2

UNI 5
Montana 1

Championship Committee

Got nothing but respect for UNI this year, but sorry.... the rankings were biased all year. What's new? In the end, Montana had the tougher conference, tougher schedule and, next week will show, better team. Top that off with better attendance and it's a no-brainer.

Silenoz
December 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
One of us lost to the #1 team in the nation

One of us destroyed the #1 team in the nation, later in the season

/thread

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Got nothing but respect for UNI this year, but sorry.... the rankings were biased all year. What's new? In the end, Montana had the tougher conference, tougher schedule and, next week will show, better team. Top that off with better attendance and it's a no-brainer.

We're forced to believe what you post (probably even against our will) because you're #3 in the Bracket competition...
And Bobafet is what I shall call you - henceforth

Grizcountry420
December 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Good Stuffxthumbsupx

PantherRob82
December 4th, 2011, 05:48 PM

/thread

I can see both sides of this, but let's not pretend that Sac St didnt happen and that a bad TN team didn't embarass the Griz.

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I can see both sides of this, but let's not pretend that Sac St didnt happen and that a bad TN team didn't embarass the Griz.

This will all take care of itself on Friday night...
(In the meantime the smack has been epic)

bojeta
December 4th, 2011, 06:35 PM
We're forced to believe what you post (probably even against our will) because you're #3 in the Bracket competition...
And Bobafet is what I shall call you - henceforth

Actually, #2, but who's keeping track? lol... I'll hold off on the bragging until after Montana wins it all. Of course, as I understand it, Chattanooga already has the title in the bag so I'm screwed :)

paward
December 4th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I love this thread, it has all the makings of a good ole fashion cat fight. Moderators slinging it out, grammar check needed, and best of all no CAA vs SoCon bull. Continue on gentlemen!

Griz4ever
December 4th, 2011, 07:01 PM
This will all take care of itself on Friday night...
(In the meantime the smack has been epic)

Speaking of Friday night better practice outdoors if today was gameday it would be 21 right now with some light snow...extended forcast calls for teens by kickoff and single digit by end of game(hmmm sounds good I'll go Griz 21 UNI single digit...)

ValleyChamp
December 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM
You can debate all you want, but UNI had the better resume. There is no objective measure that shows otherwise. The only thing Montana had over UNI was the one high profile win over MSU.

UNI had more D1 wins, played the higher ranked schedule, played in the higher ranked conference, is higher ranked in any and every poll, and the two losses UNI had were far better than the 2 losses that Montana had. Montana is slotted 1 seed higher solely because of the attendance/$ factor. To argue otherwise is silly.

Griz4ever
December 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM
You can debate all you want, but UNI had the better resume. There is no objective measure that shows otherwise. The only thing Montana had over UNI was the one high profile win over MSU.

UNI had more D1 wins, played the higher ranked schedule, played in the higher ranked conference, is higher ranked in any and every poll, and the two losses UNI had were far better than the 2 losses that Montana had. Montana is slotted 1 seed higher solely because of the attendance/$ factor. To argue otherwise is silly.

1981:Montana 42-UNI 21...1987 Montana 33-UNI 16 (at UNI)...1994 Montana 23-UNI 20 (Was that a Romo year?)..2001 Montana 30-UNI 0..Sounds like your bitter about something .....

fencer24
December 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM
The problem is, is that there is no "objective data." if two teams had 9-2 records, and one lost the first two of the season, and the other lost the last two, the expectation would be that the one with the earlier losses would be seeded higher. So you can't use schedules, common opponents, or anything else without giving it more credibility than they should deserve.

I mean look, whether UNI or Montana was the fourth seed was a coin flip. But SHSU should never have been the #1 seed. And yet, that is what we have.

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I love this thread, it has all the makings of a good ole fashion cat fight. Moderators slinging it out, grammar check needed, and best of all no CAA vs SoCon bull. Continue on gentlemen!

I pride myself on being one of the worst moderators on the world wide web - thanks for noticing - I was beginning to think all my hard work was going unnoticed

ValleyChamp
December 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM
1981:Montana 42-UNI 21...1987 Montana 33-UNI 16 (at UNI)...1994 Montana 23-UNI 20 (Was that a Romo year?)..2001 Montana 30-UNI 0..Sounds like your bitter about something .....

I'm not bitter about anything. I am excited about the game and opportunity we have on friday. I just want you Montana fans to be honest about the seeding argument.

And WTF does games from 10-25 years ago have to do with anything? Get a clue.

Romo?...

fencer24
December 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I pride myself on being one of the worst moderators on the world wide web - thanks for noticing - I was beginning to think all my hard work was going unnoticed

I don't suppose it would help to say "we're not worthy?"

fencer24
December 4th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I just want you Montana fans to be honest about the seeding argument.

What's to be honest? You and we have no say in the matter, it is what it is.

Chill dude, 1. It's too late, 2. There's nothing you can do about it now.

ValleyChamp
December 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM
The problem is, is that there is no "objective data." if two teams had 9-2 records, and one lost the first two of the season, and the other lost the last two, the expectation would be that the one with the earlier losses would be seeded higher. So you can't use schedules, common opponents, or anything else without giving it more credibility than they should deserve.

I mean look, whether UNI or Montana was the fourth seed was a coin flip. But SHSU should never have been the #1 seed. And yet, that is what we have.

A lot of it is subjective, sure. But there certainly is a lot of objective measures. There are rankings, conf rankings, schedule rakings, and you can look at who you played and who you beat.

fencer24
December 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM
A lot of it is subjective, sure. But there certainly is a lot of objective measures. There are rankings, conf rankings, schedule rakings, and you can look at who you played and who you beat.

Well, that certainly explains SHSU.

But how does that prove your argument?

Isn't it better to beat the #1 team late in the season than to lose to one?

ValleyChamp
December 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Well, that certainly explains SHSU.

But how does that prove your argument?

UNI trumped Montana in nearly every objective measure or ranking, and they still got the higher seed. It came down to money, and money only. That's how it proves my argument.

ValleyChamp
December 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Like I said, I'm excited about the game this week. I'm glad we have the opportunity to go and win at Montana.

I'm just tired of a few Montana fans coming on here and saying they had the better resume for the seed. Its about the money, always has been and always will be.

Griz4ever
December 4th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Well...We won our auto bid to the playoffs and are one of the conference CHAMPIONS..I am sure if you won your conference you would be a 2 seed and it would not mater...Did you think the committee would put a second place team in the top 4 seeding? your 5 seed seems fair your the best second place team in one of the power conferences

Squealofthepig
December 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm not bitter about anything. I am excited about the game and opportunity we have on friday. I just want you Montana fans to be honest about the seeding argument.

And WTF does games from 10-25 years ago have to do with anything? Get a clue.

Romo?...

You want us to be delusional, not honest. At best, you would have to admit our confirmation bias at being seeded is no worse than your confirmation bias at being seeded lower. (And my money is where my mouth is, here - before seeds were announced, I pegged the top 3 and had 4/5 as being Montana/Northern Iowa (in either order). I thought both teams could reasonably be seeded #4 or #5.

fencer24
December 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM
UNI trumped Montana in nearly every objective measure or ranking, and they still got the higher seed. It came down to money, and money only. That's how it proves my argument.

Money has nothing to do with seeds, if it was the primary measure, it would have been App State, Montana and JMU as the top three seeds. And as to the title of this thread, you do know that O'Day wasn't allowed to be in the room when Montana was being discussed don't you? Just like every other AD whose team is being discussed, they are kicked out of the room for the duration of the discussion. Somehow, all those other ADs thought that Montana deserved the 4th and UNI the 5th seeds.

But if you win on Friday, your argument would be correct. If you lose, I am sure that you will continue to blame it on the secret societies that are conspiring against UNI.

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM

Well...We won our auto bid to the playoffs and are one of the conference CHAMPIONS..I am sure if you won your conference you would be a 2 seed and it would not mater...Did you think the committee would put a second place team in the top 4 seeding? your 5 seed seems fair your the best second place team in one of the power conferences

We did win our conference. We didn't get the autobid, but we were still conference champions.

I, however, am one of the UNI fans that doesn't care about where we were seeded. I said from the beginning we have gone on the road and won in the playoffs before. To me it was actually more satisfying in 2005 when we went to the Championship and did it by going to the #1 and #4 seeds in consecutive weeks. I wouldn't get as much satisfaction about beating Montana unless we could do it at Wa-Griz.

There is no point in arguing about it now. We should really just start talking about this game (which should honestly be a doozy).

fencer24
December 4th, 2011, 08:14 PM
+1

Griz4ever
December 4th, 2011, 08:16 PM
+2...Can't wait anyone coming down send me a PM and I will get you a cold one at the game no ice needed they will be plenty cold.....

fencer24
December 4th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Watching UNI Wofford, it sure looks like we are very similar. I don't think either defense is going to be surprised, since it looks like we practice against the other all year long. I think it's going to boil down to who gets tired first.

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I wish I could make the trip to Missoula, and hopefully at some point in my life I will. I just don't have any money right now :(

fencer24
December 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Life is short. Don't worry about the money, worry about the living. The trip will make it worthwhile.

ValleyChamp
December 4th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Money has nothing to do with seeds, if it was the primary measure, it would have been App State, Montana and JMU as the top three seeds. And as to the title of this thread, you do know that O'Day wasn't allowed to be in the room when Montana was being discussed don't you? Just like every other AD whose team is being discussed, they are kicked out of the room for the duration of the discussion. Somehow, all those other ADs thought that Montana deserved the 4th and UNI the 5th seeds.

But if you win on Friday, your argument would be correct. If you lose, I am sure that you will continue to blame it on the secret societies that are conspiring against UNI.

Please. You can choose to be naive if you want...

Griz4ever
December 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Romo?...[/QUOTE]

I am sorry I meant Warner..my bad..xconfusedx

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I am sorry I meant Warner..my bad..xconfusedx

Warner's one and only year was 1993, and that year we lost to the Boston Terriers in the first round in Boston.

I can't remember the name of the quarterback of the 94 team. It was O something. We still have that on VHS, and I haven't watched in a while. Might have to pull it out.

Silenoz
December 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Like I said, I'm excited about the game this week. I'm glad we have the opportunity to go and win at Montana.

I'm just tired of a few Montana fans coming on here and saying they had the better resume for the seed. Its about the money, always has been and always will be.

Sure

You and McNeese got seeds over us in 07

You and James Madison got seeds over us in 08

Clearly our money didn't buy us a lofty position those years for some reason. I demand a refund!

Grizzlies82
December 4th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hmmmm.... So seeding should be based on tradition? Why have a playoff. Those claiming the highest number of fans win? Really? Are you that juvenile?

No. Seeding is based on...
NOT LOSING a game three weeks before the committee meets.
NOT squeeking out a come back win at home two weeks before they meet.
NOT sneeking by with an overtime win the day before the committee meets.

Ronin, I have a hunch you never drink beer, because you'll never run out of whine.

Grizzaholic
December 4th, 2011, 11:08 PM

Or not losing late in the season.xrolleyesx

fencer24
December 4th, 2011, 11:12 PM
That seems to be the one piece of "objective data" he can't seem to fathom.

Squealofthepig
December 4th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Reality isn't fair, and dammit, why isn't it unfair in his favor? *sad panda*

MTGrizzFan
December 5th, 2011, 12:24 AM

Bingo

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I wish I could make the trip to Missoula, and hopefully at some point in my life I will. I just don't have any money right now :(

Jump in with me! Looking for riders to split costs.

Poly's Brutality
December 5th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Man, who cares about the seed, just GIMME A FRONT ROW SEAT (at my house) FOR THE GAME!! (Way too dang cold to go.) DirectTV already set.
Will say though, Big Sky for the win.
And actually, wish I could go, was awesome time there (in September, that is).

Hammerhead
December 5th, 2011, 08:26 AM
NDSU lost late in the season and still got the #2 seed. :p

Phrebert
December 5th, 2011, 08:28 AM
The only consequence of Montana having a higher seed is a dependence on attendance is causing flatulence with a corn fragrance from uni

GOB1SON
December 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
If you've never been to Missoula, go. Ask your Mom and Dad for gas money.

Some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, first class stadium, and great fans that will feed you and fill you with anti-freeze for the game, if you need it.

BearIt
December 5th, 2011, 09:03 AM
NDSU lost late in the season and still got the #2 seed. :p

NDSU also beat a highly ranked team (UNI) and a Big 10 powerhouse.

gsu2583
December 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Totally agree. Nepotism is the wrong word for this thread. Favoritism?

Cleets
December 5th, 2011, 09:15 AM

Bingo..!!!

Hey Welcome GSU2583 - you'll want to stick around and participate in the next Bracket with the 8 remaining teams...

Grizzlies82
December 5th, 2011, 01:46 PM

No. It is "Love".
Montana is just so darn lovable you just want to hug us.
The committee... well they just couldn't help themselves.

Ronin
December 5th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Ronin,
You make it sound like Montana having a seed is completely unfounded? Do you feel there is absolutely no basis for them to have a seed? Should they have had a 1st round play in game?

Sometimes tough decisions have to be made between two teams that look fairly equal on paper. I think the complete domination on the road of the team that everyone felt was #1 in the nation in the last game of the season probably tipped the scales in Montana's favor. No scandal going on.

I think most people outside of a few UNI fans can see the logic of the seeding. I also think if the reverse were true, everyone would be OK with it as well.

If you feel history and tradition don't matter then you can go commiserate with the fans of the Big South, OVC, NEC, Pioneer Conference... You guys can talk all day long about how it is unfair that 9-2 teams from other conferences get more respect in the polls and playoffs.

It is how it is. You should just be really glad you made it past the second round and move on.

The question is why does Montana have home field advantage throughout the playoffs? Should they have had to play in the first round? No.

Last year was last year. Why is it that Montana fans want to stand on reputation and tradition?

I doubt your assertion that most agree with the logic of the seeding. In my opinion, it's political, just like your AD was quoted.

As for records, I don't think you would have made the playoffs if you were in the MVC. You would likely be where Illinois State is sitting at home.

Cleets
December 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM
As for records, I don't think you would have made the playoffs if you were in the MVC. You would likely be where Illinois State is sitting at home.

By the sounds of it this should be a fairly easy game for UNI then...

Ronin
December 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Money has nothing to do with seeds... And as to the title of this thread, you do know that O'Day wasn't allowed to be in the room when Montana was being discussed don't you?

I agree it's probably not about money, at least not from one game of ticket sales. However, if you think that chairman O'Day leaving the room when his school is discussed changes the outcome your mistaken. O'Day knew the outcome before he ever stepped outside the room, deals are arranged months in advance.

Grizalltheway
December 5th, 2011, 09:04 PM
The question is why does Montana have home field advantage throughout the playoffs? Should they have had to play in the first round? No.

Last year was last year. Why is it that Montana fans want to stand on reputation and tradition?

I doubt your assertion that most agree with the logic of the seeding. In my opinion, it's political, just like your AD was quoted.

This comment is going to (somehow) look even more silly after Friday night...xnodx

BearIt
December 5th, 2011, 09:05 PM
You would likely be where Illinois State is sitting at home.

Which is where UNI will be after Friday.

Griz4ever
December 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=Ronin;1742068]The question is why does Montana have home field advantage throughout the playoffs?
We don't...Unless you are saying that the cats beat SHSU...xeyebrowx

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Embarassing....

Cleets
December 5th, 2011, 09:09 PM
The Montana not belonging in the payoffs statement harkens back to this moment....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAyh23l1mx4

UNIFanSince1983
December 5th, 2011, 09:16 PM
http://5.asset.soup.io/asset/0699/9237_8fcc_500.jpeg

ursus arctos horribilis
December 5th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I agree it's probably not about money, at least not from one game of ticket sales. However, if you think that chairman O'Day leaving the room when his school is discussed changes the outcome your mistaken. O'Day knew the outcome before he ever stepped outside the room, deals are arranged months in advance.

This is what I mean! I love the conspiracy nuts cuz they come out every year and even though you can point out several times in history where this stuff has went completely the opposite of what they alledge they stick to it because it makes them feel better!

It is almost always MVFC guys though. Some of you may remember a few of the Indiana St. guys talking about YSU's rep on the committee and then some of YSU's fans doing the same trick in that same thread.

Everybody is out to get ya fella's! Look out!

O'Day had this worked out months in advance.xlolx

It's a good troll job though Ronin.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 5th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Embarassing....

It does not reflect on you at all Rob, trust me there.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 5th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I see my good trolling comment could have been avoided had I turned the page.:D

Damn, I do that a lot.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
This is what I mean! I love the conspiracy nuts cuz they come out every year and even though you can point out several times in history where this stuff has went completely the opposite of what they alledge they stick to it because it makes them feel better!

It is almost always MVFC guys though. Some of you may remember a few of the Indiana St. guys talking about YSU's rep on the committee and then some of YSU's fans doing the same trick in that same thread.

Everybody is out to get ya fella's! Look out!

O'Day had this worked out months in advance.xlolx

It's a good troll job though Ronin.

Yeah. It get's pretty chippy when you go more than 2 deep in a conference.....just sayin' xwhistlex

fencer24
December 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM

Could you explain that to Valleychamp at post 67 where he said:

"UNI trumped Montana in nearly every objective measure or ranking, and they still got the higher seed. It came down to money, and money only. That's how it proves my argument."

Seems there are many factors in contradiction here.

BearIt
December 5th, 2011, 10:44 PM

http://www.stuffyouwillhate.com/wp-content/uploads/butthurt.png

Ronin
December 6th, 2011, 07:39 AM
You gotta luv the Griz fans. Can't defend their position on logic so let's go to name calling.

Grizzaholic
December 6th, 2011, 10:33 AM
You gotta luv the Griz fans. Can't defend their position on logic so let's go to name calling.

HAHAHA

Silenoz
December 6th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah. It get's pretty chippy when you go more than 2 deep in a conference.....just sayin' xwhistlex

Yeah. There is a HUGE difference between the likes of Illinois State and Portland State and Eastern Washington and Indiana State...

Silenoz
December 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Didn't we hear this at half-time of the SDSU game several years ago? I cannot figure out what is with some of you MVFC guys and your over-inflated opinion of your conference xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Trust me we know...we have current and former NC's laying all over the place in the BSC. It may take another 50 yrs. but someday you'll know what it's like I'm sure. Keep pluggin' away!

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2011, 12:06 PM

BSC Champs, autobid, defense rests.

Look at you just spinning away there setting up excuses and red herrings in case you need them on Saturday...it's really sort of adorable.

Griz23
December 6th, 2011, 12:15 PM
So you got shafted...bfd...you're probably the first team to have that happen! If you're the better team then prove it Friday night. You squeeked one out last Saturday by a Wofford team that pretty much ate your lunch so you should be a little worried about getting beat rather than who was deserving of the better seed. You got lucky but that probably won't happen twice in a row. Be prepared to take a shellackin.

Ronin
December 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Seems like some of the Montana fans are a little defensive.

The original observation was concerning Montana and their #4 seed. From what I've read it's been mostly ad hominem attacks. As many already know, home field advantage is real. UNI has a 81% winning record at home. Montana has a 89% winning record at home. All 5 games between the two schools has been played in Montana, regardless of rank, SOS or record.

For those that may not be familiar with ad hominem...

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

1. Person A makes claim X.
2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
3. Therefore A's claim is false.

The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Man you get so much wrong it's comical. All games between us have not been played in Montana.

Start there.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM
BTW, I totally agree with you that using a poll that has nothing to do with how the NCAA seeds teams is pure ad hom. Thanks for coming to that realization finally.

Similar conferences, auto bid, Conference Champs, beating the #1 team on their home field, those are quantifiable. Good job Ronin.xthumbsupx

Grizcountry420
December 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM
UNI couldnt even beat the best team in their conference. End of story.........

FargoBison
December 6th, 2011, 01:25 PM
UNI couldnt even beat the best team in their conference. End of story.........

Alabama couldn't beat the best team in their conference and look at where they are at now....just saying.

Honestly I thought the two were very close(Montana and UNI) and a case could have been made for either team getting the #4 seed.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Alabama couldn't beat the best team in their conference and look at where they are at now....just saying.

Honestly I thought the two were very close(Montana and UNI) and case could have been made for either team getting the #4 seed.

Exactly. Acting like it's some cut & dry screw job is what brings us all here for this beatdown.

FCSbuff319
December 6th, 2011, 01:35 PM

Honestly I thought the two were very close(Montana and UNI) and case could have been made for either team getting the #4 seed.

Well that is because the FBS lets the computers and the biased coaches decide who's better. Any system that uses the Coaches Poll as part of its main selection criteria has no chance at being just. I know, not really related, but it's never wise to compare to the practices of the FBS to validate anything.

UNIFanSince1983
December 6th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Well that is because the FBS lets the computers and the biased coaches decide who's better. Any system that uses the Coaches Poll as part of its main selection criteria has no chance at being just. I know, not really related, but it's never wise to compare to the practices of the FBS to validate anything.

Actually the reason Alabama is in the championship is due to the human polls that had them ahead of Oklahoma State. Computers favored Okie State but that is a different debate.

Edit: And I didn't read the part about the coaches poll. You are right about it. It shouldn't be deciding anything at any level

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Which is what Ronin is also advocating as his chief argument.

Silenoz
December 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM

this isn't rocket science bro.

Are you that juvenile?
^

Silenoz
December 6th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Man you get so much wrong it's comical. All games between us have not been played in Montana.

Start there.

Yeah, right. Next thing you'll be telling me is that we don't have homefield advantage throughout xsalutex

Grizzaholic
December 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Seems like some of the Montana fans are a little defensive.

The original observation was concerning Montana and their #4 seed. From what I've read it's been mostly ad hominem attacks. As many already know, home field advantage is real. UNI has a 81% winning record at home. Montana has a 89% winning record at home. All 5 games between the two schools has been played in Montana, regardless of rank, SOS or record.

For those that may not be familiar with ad hominem...

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

1. Person A makes claim X.
2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
3. Therefore A's claim is false.

The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).

Have you been reading your posts????

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah, right. Next thing you'll be telling me is that we don't have homefield advantage throughout xsalutex

I enjoyed that one so much.

Arguing about a #4 vs. a #5 seed and then put that gem in there...sheer brilliance.

Ronin
December 6th, 2011, 09:19 PM
"UNI couldnt even beat the best team in their conference. End of story........." Grizcountry420

Just like you beat Sacramento State.

Squealofthepig
December 6th, 2011, 10:09 PM
"UNI couldnt even beat the best team in their conference. End of story........." Grizcountry420

Just like you beat Sacramento State.

Which gives Sacramento State a better winning percentage against us than you, which, as you know, is 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00.