PDA

View Full Version : Wofford forgets to down kick...

PantherRob82
December 3rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
UNI picks ball up in end zone. TD!

Never seen that before. xlolx

TheBisonator
December 3rd, 2011, 06:19 PM

That was funny. Almost as much of a ballbuster as UNH's missed XP to tie the game.

unigriff
December 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
well to his kind of defense...he did catch it almost out of the endzone and then went back in...so maybe he thought if he downed it, it would be a safety...then they didnt blow the whistle so maybe he thought it was a Touchback..IDK...works out for UNI though!

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM
kind of sucks that the game seemingly came down to that mistake.

MplsBison
December 3rd, 2011, 07:21 PM

Believe it or not, this happened to NDSU the 2nd time they played Minnesota in recent history (2007). (If I'm assuming correctly about what happened at the UNI-Woff game today).

NDSU's guy caught the ball in the end-zone, decided he didn't want to run, flipped the ball towards the ref and started walking away.

Luckily another NDSU player dove on top of the ball. Technically it should've been a safety, but I think the ref made the right call in giving them a touchback. The NDSU player's intention was clear. Just lucky for him his own player was smart enough to dive on it!

gsu6trophies
December 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM
kind of sucks that the game seemingly came down to that mistake.

Yep, it does.

PantherRob82
December 3rd, 2011, 10:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7312450

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 10:53 PM
SFA would cut his scholarship, then go for 2.

eaglewraith
December 3rd, 2011, 11:13 PM
I'd cut his ***.

He's been a big problem for them. At the end of our game a few weeks ago, he blatantly hit our kicker late then came up swinging. Got a personal foul and unsportsmanlike on one play when they were down 31-10.

Squealofthepig
December 3rd, 2011, 11:19 PM
And he did that AFTER running into a kicker on a field goal (thanks to whichever NDSU fan pointed it out to me, I hadn't realized it was the same friggin' guy), giving UNI a chance to erase their field goal and get a nice TD instead. That's eleven points he cost his team, by himself. That's gotta be a record.

(I don't want to pile on him - I'm sure he feels incredibly guilty and ashamed (or at least he should). I just wish the game had been lost in a more competitive fashion, as losing by 3 on the road to a good team is much better than effectively spotting a team a bunch of points).

HailSzczur
December 3rd, 2011, 11:27 PM
Wow, never seen that before. Trying to think of boneheaded plays of the this magnitude and all I can come up with is a fielder flipping the ball into the stands after the 2nd out while there's still runners on.

Was it just me or did it look like he seemed to be complaining to the ref about something right before he dropped it? Wonder what that was about.

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2011, 11:33 PM
Most painful play I've ever seen. Damn.

clenz
December 3rd, 2011, 11:39 PM
I think he was called for a personal a couple plays before the Roughing the Kicker as well that gave UNI the ball at the 7

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
I think he was called for a personal a couple plays before the Roughing the Kicker as well that gave UNI the ball at the 7

nah, that was Niam I think, unless he roughed the passer (I don't think he did that but it's possible?) the unnecessary roughness one was a little close IMO but it doesn't really matter at this point. This sucks.

soccerguy315
December 3rd, 2011, 11:51 PM
wow

PantherRob82
December 3rd, 2011, 11:59 PM
Was it just me or did it look like he seemed to be complaining to the ref about something right before he dropped it? Wonder what that was about.

Well.....if the play was over and someone knocked the ball out for no reason, he was probably confused on that.

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2011, 11:59 PM
I think he's been watching too many high school football games.......

PantherRob82
December 4th, 2011, 12:00 AM
nah, that was Niam I think, unless he roughed the passer (I don't think he did that but it's possible?) the unnecessary roughness one was a little close IMO but it doesn't really matter at this point. This sucks.

He was the roughing the passer.

Roughing the passer and late hit for 15 and half the distance, roughing the kicker and this play. It was a goofy turn of events. We definitely were baffled but willing to accept that run of events. Would have been a nail biter to the end.

DJKyR0
December 4th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Oh my.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2011, 12:02 AM
He was the roughing the passer.

Roughing the passer and late hit for 15 and half the distance, roughing the kicker and this play. It was a goofy turn of events. We definitely were baffled but willing to accept that run of events. Would have been a nail biter to the end.

shoulda coulda woulda :( it coulda been 24-7....but it didn't fall that way, and that is why I won't be sleeping much the next few weeks.

veinup
December 4th, 2011, 12:51 AM
i.... uhhh... what? what the **** happened? i so wanted wofford to win this game.. is there a highlight or anything?

Twentysix
December 4th, 2011, 12:56 AM
i.... uhhh... what? what the **** happened? i so wanted wofford to win this game.. is there a highlight or anything?

fk the south, the left side of the US FTW!!! And yes there is its on page 1.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?102275-Wofford-forgets-to-down-kick...&p=1740532&viewfull=1#post1740532

Big Al
December 4th, 2011, 01:01 AM
That was definitely a WTF moment. I was watching that play thinking "Am I missing something? Why isn't he taking a knee?"

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2011, 01:03 AM
That was definitely a WTF moment. I was watching that play thinking "Am I missing something? Why isn't he taking a knee?"

I think he believed he didn't have to if he was giving himself up, (it's an NFL rule or something?)

PantherRob82
December 4th, 2011, 01:03 AM
We sit right below the coordinators and they were screaming, "jump on the ball". They also had many other choice words throughout the game. xlolx.

Twentysix
December 4th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I think he believed he didn't have to if he was giving himself up, (it's an NFL rule or something?)

I think if the player makes no attempt to advance the ball out of the endzone it is technically a touchback. But you cant drop it before the whistle is blown... in 07 Shamen Washington did the same thing at the Metrodome of course it was a touchback for us.... not 7 points for the goophers.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I think if the player makes no attempt to advance the ball out of the endzone it is technically a touchback. But you cant drop it before the whistle is blown... in 07 Shamen Washington did the same thing at the Metrodome of course it was a touchback for us.... not 7 points for the goophers.

yeah, he didn't attempt to take it out though......

Twentysix
December 4th, 2011, 01:19 AM
But he intentionally fumbled it before the ref blew the whistle. Shamen did the same thing, except the other team did not end up on the ball.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2011, 01:26 AM
But he intentionally fumbled it before the ref blew the whistle. Shamen did the same thing, except the other team did not end up on the ball.

I think it was swatted from him actually, on the replay you can see him looking at the ref looking for a penalty

I-85 Paladin
December 4th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Rules are rules so the call was 100% right but honestly I really wish they had given him a touchback. He clearly was not attempting to advance the football and his "intent" was clear short of taking a knee. Much of football is a game of judgement and I really believe that instances like those should not be such a huge factor. Touchdowns should be earned by hard play and not some odd failure to take knee when it was pretty clear he wanted to take a touchback walking off the field.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2011, 01:28 AM
but upon further review I could be wrong

Twentysix
December 4th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Rules are rules so the call was 100% right but honestly I really wish they had given him a touchback. He clearly was not attempting to advance the football and his "intent" was clear short of taking a knee. Much of football is a game of judgement and I really believe that instances like those should not be such a huge factor. Touchdowns should be earned by hard play and not some odd failure to take knee when it was pretty clear he wanted to take a touchback walking off the field.

Lack of fundamentals is being rewarded if that is a touchback imo.

Wildcat80
December 4th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I'd cut his ***.

He's been a big problem for them. At the end of our game a few weeks ago, he blatantly hit our kicker late then came up swinging. Got a personal foul and unsportsmanlike on one play when they were down 31-10.

Why does he have an attitude on the play???? stupid is as stupid does........

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2011, 02:30 AM
It was the turning point of the night on Sportscenter tonight. I have to imagine it ends up on the Not Top 10 as well.

MTfan4life
December 4th, 2011, 03:56 AM
In high school if you catch the ball in the end zone on the kick off, it is a touchback. It looks like that's what he thought happened here. He catches the ball and when he realizes he's in the endzone, he gives up. It's like he saw the endzone and immediately thought the play was over. How do you not realize that? Incredibly embarrassing play.

MplsBison
December 4th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Lack of fundamentals is being rewarded if that is a touchback imo.

Agree to disagree.

His intention was clear. Not trying to advance out of the endzone. He wanted a touchback.

It happened exactly the same way for NDSU and we got the touchback.

MplsBison
December 4th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Well.....if the play was over and someone knocked the ball out for no reason, he was probably confused on that.

Yep, he didn't realize that the play was still live and so when the UNI guy knocked it out of his hand he was like "what is that?!".

Tod
December 4th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Agree to disagree.

His intention was clear. Not trying to advance out of the endzone. He wanted a touchback.

I always thought it was clear in college football that any part of your body touching the ground other than your feet or hands means that you're down. How hard it that? Intention? Let's just deal with the facts, ma'am.

GSC75
December 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
This was the same kid that levelled our place kicker way after the kick when GSU played Wofford... put him down for five minutes and had to be assisted by the trainers off the field - blatant personal foul... later was taking swings and got another penalty. Even the Wofford fans were calling him out on their board about his attitude during that game. Karma's a B, aint it...

clenz
December 4th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Agree to disagree.

Then he should have kneed. He was walking around, and had UNI players "given up" on getting down the field he could have taken off to a wide open field. It isn't like he just stood in place. There is no "giving the play up" by just standing there. You HAVE to take a knee to "give the play up"

clenz
December 4th, 2011, 09:33 AM
This was the same kid that levelled our place kicker way after the kick when GSU played Wofford... put him down for five minutes and had to be assisted by the trainers off the field - blatant personal foul... later was taking swings and got another penalty. Even the Wofford fans were calling him out on their board about his attitude during that game. Karma's a B, aint it...

2 personal foul penalties (roughing the QB/late hit and roughing the kicker), and should have been a third (after the KO incident he took his helmet off on the field (in the endzone yet) and walks off the field without it on.

The first PF gave UNI 15 and moved UNI from the 28ish to the 14ish...the second took a UNI fg off the board and gave UNI a TD. Those were just plays apart.

Then the very next play is the KO.

MplsBison
December 4th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Then he should have kneed. He was walking around, and had UNI players "given up" on getting down the field he could have taken off to a wide open field. It isn't like he just stood in place. There is no "giving the play up" by just standing there. You HAVE to take a knee to "give the play up"

Nope, you're wrong.

He had no intentions of going anywhere. That he didn't follow the rule exactly is irrelevant.

I don't have to argue about something I know I'm right on. You won the game, go look for something else to complain about.

TDogFan
December 4th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I hate to pile on as well, but this happened two weeks ago when he roughed the GSU kicker on a PAT kick...there was no way blocking it could have made a difference in the outcome of the game....even as a TDog fan, it was a blatant foul....then he gets into it and draws unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on top of that...GSU kicks off at the Wofford 40 yard line!!!...onside kick goes to GSU but they show some class and run the clock out instead of jamming another TD down Wofford's throat

no, this was attitude and lack of character...two things Coach Ayers and Wofford pride themselves in holding in high esteem.

there are rules for a reason...you know them and you follow them...#2 demonstrated poor attitude, lack of character...and it was all about him instead of all about the team. i have read all the reasons why he should-a could-a might-a, but this was a repeat of two weeks ago...only this time the coaching staff let his presence on the field end the season in a very, very embarrasing way.

Wow, never seen that before. Trying to think of boneheaded plays of the this magnitude and all I can come up with is a fielder flipping the ball into the stands after the 2nd out while there's still runners on.

DTSpider
December 4th, 2011, 10:05 AM
This exact play happened a few years ago when Towson played at Richmond. I want to say it was the fall of 2006. It was the opening kickoff and the Towson return guy just stood in the end zone until a Richmond player just lit him up, and UR recovered the fumble for a TD. Unfortunately i think that Towson ran off something like 35 unanswered after that.

NDB
December 4th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Agree to disagree.

There was a big difference between the Minnesota game and yesterday.

Shamen made no effort to advance the ball and then through the ball toward the official.

MTfan4life
December 4th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Nope, you're wrong.

He had no intentions of going anywhere. That he didn't follow the rule exactly is irrelevant.

I don't have to argue about something I know I'm right on. You won the game, go look for something else to complain about.

Are you serious? That's like a claim at TheFan's level.

phoenix3
December 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Too bad. I was really hoping both GSU and Wofford would move on to the next level.

Hammerhead
December 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
So you're saying a player hot-dogging it to the end zone with no defenders around who flips the ball in the air at the 1 yard line should still be given a touchdown? He wouldn't exactly score according to the rules.
Nope, you're wrong.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM

Shamen made no effort to advance the ball and then through the ball toward the official.

Irrelevant. You play D1 ball you have to know the rules.xrulesx

NDB
December 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM
i completely agree.

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2011, 02:25 PM
anyone have a video of this play?

UNI Pike
December 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM

sgt smash
December 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Anyone think this will make "Come On Man " tomorrow night?

Milktruck74
December 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I bet he learned something, and won't do it again.

TSU86
December 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Wow... just looked at it on espn3.... Unbelievable

Cleets
December 4th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I repeat - from an earlier thread post: How do you get the Kick-off return JOB as a player and not know the kick-off return rules..?
1) Rule number one - once the ball goes 10 yards on a kick-off, it's a live ball (Period)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Recap of this game and the other second-round matchups:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/131-fcs-wrap-up-refreshed-maine-stuns-appalachian-state

eaglewraith
December 4th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Anyone think this will make "Come On Man " tomorrow night?

It was on Sportscenter last night as "Whacky Play" right before they showed the Top Plays of the day.

MplsBison
December 4th, 2011, 11:09 PM

The difference was really that Minnesota players made no attempt for the ball and didn't even really pursue Shaman. UNI player actually hit the ball out of his hand even though he wasn't trying to advance it.

Otherwise there was nothing different - neither player was trying to advance it.

MplsBison
December 4th, 2011, 11:17 PM
So you're saying a player hot-dogging it to the end zone with no defenders around who flips the ball in the air at the 1 yard line should still be given a touchdown? He wouldn't exactly score according to the rules.

Apples to oranges...not even close comparison.

GaSouthern
December 5th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Karma sucks, I hate to see Woffy go down like this, they have a good program but that kid is a loser.

OL FU
December 5th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Karma sucks, I hate to see Woffy go down like this, they have a good program but that kid is a loser.

I feel for him. Whether it was a brain fart or not being coached on what to do, it is a tough thing for a kid to have to face.

eagle07
December 5th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Where is Chris Carter when we need him?

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/krod.com/files/2011/11/comeonman.jpeg

TheRevSFA
December 5th, 2011, 09:26 AM
SFA would cut his scholarship, then go for 2.

Nah we'd keep him..then go for 2.

Cleets
December 5th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I feel for him. Whether it was a brain fart or not being coached on what to do, it is a tough thing for a kid to have to face.

Agreed,
That's the thing that gets lost in this post game debate - what about the kid - he's probably going to need a sports psychologist and a prescription for anti-depressants

Vitojr130
December 5th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I don't feel all that bad for a college student that makes an error like this in football. All it takes is mental focus. I laughed when I saw this.

OL FU
December 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I don't feel all that bad for a college student that makes an error like this in football. All it takes is mental focus. I laughed when I saw this.

Each to their own.xconfusedx

Cleets
December 5th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Each to their own.xconfusedx

You've got love in that crusty old heart my friend...

OL FU
December 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM
You've got love in that crusty old heart my friend...

I got kids around those ages, and while they don't play football, they have fumbled a snap or two a few timesxnodx

Vitojr130
December 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I got kids around those ages, and while they don't play football, they have fumbled a snap or two a few timesxnodx

I'm a junior in college whom God did not grant enough football talent to warrant a free ride to college. I'm paying my own way. I will laugh when they make mistakes like this. It's their job not to.

StorminASU
December 5th, 2011, 03:22 PM

I saw this coming.

Yank
December 5th, 2011, 04:54 PM

I can't feel too bad for him after seeing him take a cheap shot at our place kicker after the play. He was flagged for a personal foul and ejected. Wofford used to brag that their students' average SAT was higher than the school's enrollment. I think they need to recheck this kid's SAT.

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I can't feel too bad for him after seeing him take a cheap shot at our place kicker after the play. He was flagged for a personal foul and ejected. Wofford used to brag that their students' average SAT was higher than the school's enrollment. I think they need to recheck this kid's SAT.

he wasn't ejected though he probably should have been

UNIFanSince1983
December 5th, 2011, 05:01 PM
He has been all over ESPN. It has got to be rough on him. I don't think you have to respect the kid, but if you have ever been in a position where you cost your team you would feel bad for him. I do feel bad for the kid.

OL FU
December 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Same Guy?

Eagle22
December 5th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Same Guy?

Yep.

Hammerhead
December 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM
It might be on C'mon, Man on the MNF countodwn. It's ususally on around 5:20 PST / 8:20 EST, give or take a few minutes.

Skjellyfetti
December 5th, 2011, 07:27 PM
It might be on C'mon, Man on the MNF countodwn. It's ususally on around 5:20 PST / 8:20 EST, give or take a few minutes.

Haha. It made it. nice.

OL FU
December 6th, 2011, 05:51 AM

well that does reduce the sympathy factor

boonedocks
December 6th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I can't feel sorry for this guy. That is the stupidest play I have ever seen. Everybody knows you have to kneel. How could this ever possibly happen. It is hilarious.

The only defense was if Ayers was trying a trick play where he just casually walks past all the coverage guys, then takes off.

Too much! I just can't get over it. In the words of Ace Ventura, "...all time bonehead plays.."

eagle07
December 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
There is no way it was a trick play...

1. If it were he would have actually been holding onto the ball
2. I sure wouldn't have done it in playoff game only down by 7, I don't think ayers would either
3. C'MON MAN, 8 year olds know to kneel it

TwoFeathers
December 6th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Believe it or not, this happened to NDSU the 2nd time they played Minnesota in recent history (2007). (If I'm assuming correctly about what happened at the UNI-Woff game today).

NDSU's guy caught the ball in the end-zone, decided he didn't want to run, flipped the ball towards the ref and started walking away.

Luckily another NDSU player dove on top of the ball. Technically it should've been a safety, but I think the ref made the right call in giving them a touchback. The NDSU player's intention was clear. Just lucky for him his own player was smart enough to dive on it!

What if the ref had caught that ball? Tackle the ref for a safety??? ;)

TwoFeathers
December 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
There is no way it was a trick play...

1. If it were he would have actually been holding onto the ball
2. I sure wouldn't have done it in playoff game only down by 7, I don't think ayers would either
3. C'MON MAN, 8 year olds know to kneel it

Did he also signal Fair Catch??? ;) Good stuff!