PDA

View Full Version : Bell, Lum, Mitchell Named Payton Finalists

GeauxLions94
December 1st, 2011, 02:19 PM
Shakir Bell of Indiana State, Chris Lum of Lehigh and Bo Levi Mitchell of Eastern Washington are the finalists for the Walter Payton Award ... winner is announced on Jan. 6 in Frisco

25th Annual Walter Payton Award Finalists (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/haley/index.htm)

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2011, 02:21 PM
Bell is only a sophomore, I wonder how much that will hurt him.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Weird list. IMO

FargoBison
December 1st, 2011, 02:23 PM
Weird list. IMO

Odd that only one player is in the playoffs....

asumike83
December 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'd have to think it will come down to Mitchell and Lum. Bell will probably win one before he graduates if he has another strong couple of years.

Although it is an individual award, it depends how much they account for team W-L. Mitchell has better numbers than Lum and played a tougher schedule, but Lehigh is in the postseason and EWU is at home. Should be an interesting vote.

T-Dog
December 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
Odd that only one player is in the playoffs....

Jayson Foster won it in 2007 and GSU didn't make the playoffs that year.

Head Cat
December 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM
In my mind, the best player I saw this year was Terrance West of Towson. I certainly wouldn't have voted for Bo Levi Mitchell, or Mitchell Bo Levi, or Levi Mitchell Bo, whatever his name was. Way too many picks that cost EWU its season in 2011.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2011, 02:27 PM
The only one I saw in person was Bell and he didn't impress me that day.

Head Cat
December 1st, 2011, 02:27 PM
Jayson Foster won it in 2007 and GSU didn't make the playoffs that year.

Georgia Southern came within a foot on a missed field goal of beating Furman to clinch the SoCon auto-bid that year and nearly got an at-large with a near-upset of Colorado State in the Eagles' finale that season. Foster was a stud and was clearly the player of the year in 2007. There really haven't been as many dominent players in 2011.

MTfan4life
December 1st, 2011, 02:32 PM
In my mind, the best player I saw this year was Terrance West of Towson. I certainly wouldn't have voted for Bo Levi Mitchell, or Mitchell Bo Levi, or Levi Mitchell Bo, whatever his name was. Way too many picks that cost EWU its season in 2011.

He had two less picks than the other QB candidate Lum along with less than some of the other high throwing QB's in the FCS. It wasn't his 13 INTs in 11 games that cost his team the season. It was the fact his defense allowed over 30 points per game.

Head Cat
December 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
He had two less picks than the other QB candidate Lum along with less than most of the other high throwing QB's in the FCS. It wasn't his 13 INTs in 11 games that cost his team the season. It was the fact his defense allowed over 30 points per game.
If you saw when he coughed up those picks, it did have a major impact. A couple of them came in, or near the end zone to kill comeback wins. Washington for one, after EWU DOUBLED the Huskies in offensive yardage.

andy7171
December 1st, 2011, 02:47 PM
West came in 6th place. True freshman. He'll take it out on Lehigh's defense in two days.

unigriff
December 1st, 2011, 02:49 PM
Foster beat UNI's Eric Sanders who led UNI to the National Title game as a sophomore in 2005 and to an undefeated regular season and near 2nd national title appearance in 2007.

Honestly, after watching all 3 on TV at least once...i'd go with Bell easily.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2011, 03:36 PM
Of these 3, I'd go with Lum. West was amazing this year, and regardless of his age, really stood out as the best player. Throw in Towson in the playlets as CAA champ, and I think he got screwed.

Squealofthepig
December 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Of these 3, I'd go with Lum. West was amazing this year, and regardless of his age, really stood out as the best player. Throw in Towson in the playlets as CAA champ, and I think he got screwed.

Agree. The tape I've seen of him is just nutty, and while I've always been quick to point out how many interceptions he's thrown, I'm also quick to point out that overall his pick/pass and td/pick ratios are very good. 15 interceptions thrown is concerning; 15 picks in 443 throws makes you completely reevaluate that. Throwing 31 TDs? OK, he'd get my vote.

BLM wound up costing his team games, and I can't see someone winning it all one year for a team then missing the playoffs and getting the Payton award. Had he played to 50% of what he's capable of at Washington Grizzly earlier in the year, I imagine EWU is still playing.

Bell probably has the sophomore thing against him; his numbers are solid (oh, just 150ypg, no big, 13+ yards more than second place in FCS), but the ISUb missing the playoffs might hurt him a bit.

I too am surprised to not see West on this list - 27 TDs in a season is not exactly common.

heath
December 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM
West will get his chances the next 3 years. Being a freshman and starting only 1 game are knocks against him,his average of 124ypg could have been higher and will be next season.When is voting done or has it already happened?

Clambake
December 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM
I love Lum and I hope he wins it, but I think he's owes some of his success to others. Cecchini seems to be a brilliant OC and his corp of receivers has been ridiculously good, and I'm not just talking about Spadola and Drawl. Barket has great hands out of the backfield, Fitz and Sherman are very capable receivers, Haggins has made some great catches; even the full-backs and 3rd and 4th WR's have made some very tough grabs. For those who have watched alot of Lehigh games this year, how many dropped passes have you seen? I've been to every game and remember only 2 all year. The number of spectacular one-hand grabs and difficult catches in traffic far out-number that.

ngineer
December 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
I love Lum and I hope he wins it, but I think he's owes some of his success to others. Cecchini seems to be a brilliant OC and his corp of receivers has been ridiculously good, and I'm not just talking about Spadola and Drawl. Barket has great hands out of the backfield, Fitz and Sherman are very capable receivers, Haggins has made some great catches; even the full-backs and 3rd and 4th WR's have made some very tough grabs. For those who have watched alot of Lehigh games this year, how many dropped passes have you seen? I've been to every game and remember only 2 all year. The number of spectacular one-hand grabs and difficult catches in traffic far out-number that.

Excellent observation for a newbie! Welcome aboard!. Lum is a solid guy, very grounded. I don't see the award as purely statistics. Getting to the final three is tremendous. Considering Lehigh's turnaround, from a 4-7 team in 2009 to going 20-4 over the past two seasons since Lum took over QB says alot. Yes, Cecchini's presence has had to have made an impact, but Lum still had to execute. Way to go Chris! Hoping we get to see you, in person, receive the award before the game on January 7!

UNH72Plus
December 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
Looking at the statistics I think Decker (UNH) should have been in before Mitchell. Decker had a better completion percentage (69.71 vs 63.22), a better pass efficiency rating (154.30 vs 146.65), and he has the added value of being able to run the ball (417 yards & 9 TDs vs -5 yards & 2 TDs). Also consider that Mitchell played against four of the worst pass defenses in the FCS (Northern Az 107th, Northern Co 115th, Weber State 118th, and Cal Poly 119th), and nearly 40% of his passing yards and 45% of his TDs came in those games. The worst pass defense Decker faced was Villanova at 99th. And lest we forget, Decker led his team to a post-season game. The one category that hurts Decker is interceptions. Decker's numbers are pretty much the same compared to Lum's, only to a lesser degree, and UNH beat Lehigh (and yes, the winning touchdown was legit!).

ysubigred
December 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
The only one I saw in person was Bell and he didn't impress me that day.

xnottalkingx You seen J. Cook on the long list in the fargo Dome and he impressed so much at NDSU he finished 19th xbangx

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2011, 10:55 AM
xnottalkingx You seen J. Cook on the long list in the fargo Dome and he impressed so much at NDSU he finished 19th xbangx

Hm, I'm going to only passively mention your poor grammar but oh well. As I said, I saw the ISUb game in Terre Haute where NDSU shut Shakir Bell down. I haven't been in Fargo in almost 2 years so I only saw the YSU game on the internet. There is an "edit post" button if you want to at least sound like you have a high school education.

RichH2
December 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Excellent observation for a newbie! Welcome aboard!. Lum is a solid guy, very grounded. I don't see the award as purely statistics. Getting to the final three is tremendous. Considering Lehigh's turnaround, from a 4-7 team in 2009 to going 20-4 over the past two seasons since Lum took over QB says alot. Yes, Cecchini's presence has had to have made an impact, but Lum still had to execute. Way to go Chris! Hoping we get to see you, in person, receive the award before the game on January 7!
Jefferson would start for many squads 6'5" with stickum hands. Lum has indeed been blessed with a lots of very good receivers and backs this year and a great OC but as ngineer noted it is Lum's ability to make right reads and execute the play that separates himfrom the pack

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
Congrats to Jonathan Grimes from W&M for finishing fourth in Payton voting! Even though he had 700 more all-purpose yards than Bell.

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
West came in 6th place. True freshman. He'll take it out on Lehigh's defense in two days.

Yes, his numbers were silly. If he keeps it up, he will win it in the coming years.

bluehenbillk
December 2nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Many years, this award like the Heisman is a joke. It's more of a career achievement award versus who is really the best player at this level.

This is one of those years.

Case in point: Grimes from W&M is a nice player, I've seen him play for 4 years now. With that being said, it takes watching one quarter of football or less to realize he would NEVER be the RB that West from Towson is. Obviously many of the voters didn't see that kid play. Grimes finishes ahead of West in the voting.

Any CAA - area fool that made that vote needs to have it taken away.

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Many years, this award like the Heisman is a joke. It's more of a career achievement award versus who is really the best player at this level.

Case in point: Grimes from W&M is a nice player, I've seen him play for 4 years now. With that being said, it takes watching one quarter of football or less to realize he would NEVER be the RB that West from Towson is. Obviously many of the voters didn't see that kid play. Grimes finishes ahead of West in the voting.

I agree that West is special, but come on. Take a look at Grimes resume and there is no doubt he is special as well. Most decorated player in CAA history... that's no small feat. And with a couple (maybe 3??) 300+ yard games this season, with 200+ rushing in the final three straight? Grimes finished with 1,431 rushing and 2,510 all-purpose yards (that's #5 and #1 in FCS respectively). West finished 1,242 rushing and 1,267 all-purpose (that's #10 and #41 respectively). Grimes doubled West's all-purpose yards. That is the difference.

West would win the "Freshman with the higest average yards per rush who finished in the top 10 in rushing" award.

tribefan40
December 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM

Completely ridiculous post. When West has put up these numbers for four years and improved upon them, get back to me.

WrenFGun
December 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Looking at the statistics I think Decker (UNH) should have been in before Mitchell. Decker had a better completion percentage (69.71 vs 63.22), a better pass efficiency rating (154.30 vs 146.65), and he has the added value of being able to run the ball (417 yards & 9 TDs vs -5 yards & 2 TDs). Also consider that Mitchell played against four of the worst pass defenses in the FCS (Northern Az 107th, Northern Co 115th, Weber State 118th, and Cal Poly 119th), and nearly 40% of his passing yards and 45% of his TDs came in those games. The worst pass defense Decker faced was Villanova at 99th. And lest we forget, Decker led his team to a post-season game. The one category that hurts Decker is interceptions. Decker's numbers are pretty much the same compared to Lum's, only to a lesser degree, and UNH beat Lehigh (and yes, the winning touchdown was legit!).

JMO, but Decker's brutal performances in his final two games (8 INT's, I think) probably cost him a shot to be in the final 3.

bluehenbillk
December 2nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Completely ridiculous post. When West has put up these numbers for four years and improved upon them, get back to me.

Thanks for making my point that this BS is a career achievement award.

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
JMO, but Decker's brutal performances in his final two games (8 INT's, I think) probably cost him a shot to be in the final 3.

What did Decker finish? Did they publish the final votes (minus the top 3)?

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
What did Decker finish? Did they publish the final votes (minus the top 3)?

Got 'em, Decker finished 8:

2011 Remaining Walter Payton Award Voting
Name School 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
4. Jonathan Grimes Wm. & Mary 10 16 9 18 8 185
5. Aaron Mellette Elon 2 5 17 21 21 144
6. Terrance West Towson 5 11 11 5 8 120
7. Tim Flanders Sam Houston St 10 7 5 6 7 112
8. Kevin Decker New Hampshire 5 4 9 9 9 95
9. Jordan Brown Bryant 2 8 11 7 5 94
10. Casey Therriault Jackson St 3 7 8 7 5 86
11. Casey Brockman Murray State 3 5 7 5 7 73
12. Tirrell Rennie Northern Iowa 3 3 2 1 4 39
13. DeNarius McGhee Montana St. 3 0 2 3 8 35
14. Eric Breitenstein Wofford 2 2 3 1 1 30
15. Brian Quick Appalachian St 0 2 5 1 2 27
16. Andrew Pierce Delaware 1 0 1 1 3. 13
17. Mike Brown Liberty 0 0 1 3 1 10
18. Brad Sorensen Southern Utah 0 0 0 3 2 8
19. Jamaine Cook Youngstown St 0 1 0 0 2 6
20. Rodrick Rumble Idaho State 0 0 0 2 2 6
21. *Matt Denham Eastern Kentucky 0 0 1 1 0 5
22. *Tre Gray Richmond 0 0 0 0 1 1

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM

Perhaps you should read this again:

"Grimes finished with 1,431 rushing and 2,510 all-purpose yards (that's #5 and #1 in FCS respectively). West finished 1,242 rushing and 1,267 all-purpose (that's #10 and #41 respectively). Grimes doubled West's all-purpose yards."

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM

I don't completely disagree, career achievements may bump someone up here or there, and righfully so. But Grimes vs. West is the wrong case for that argument. Just look at the season numbers.

tribefan40
December 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM

Didn't realize I had to be so specific billk. I was refering to the line highlighted in your post above. West is and will continue to be a fine running back, but let's give credit where it's due.

As a previous post pointed out, statistically speaking, Grimes had a better year than West in every aspect.

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Didn't realize I had to be so specific billk. I was refering to the line highlighted in your post above. West is and will continue to be a fine running back, but let's give credit where it's due.

As a previous post pointed out, statistically speaking, Grimes had a better year than West in every aspect.

Maybe that's his point... he only saw 1 quarter of football. Sure, West may have had one phenomenal quarter. Even off the charts. But the season statistics speak for themselves.

TwoFeathers
December 2nd, 2011, 12:21 PM

Ironically, Grimes doubled West's output when Towson played at W&M. Grimes had 315 all purpose yards, West had 154. Huh...

UNH72Plus
December 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM

Brutal performances??? Nice to see you have a new whipping boy since Toman graduated! Actually, it was six INT's against the #9 and #35 ranked interception defenses in the FCS. Over the two games he threw for 592 yards, 4 TD's, and had a 68% completion rate, using ten different receivers. He also ran for 54 yards and two more TDs.

andy7171
December 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Ironically, Grimes doubled West's output when Towson played at W&M. Grimes had 315 all purpose yards, West had 154. Huh...

scoreboard! :)

RichH2
December 2nd, 2011, 01:34 PM

Cheap shot Andy. While team success surely a factor, it is the individual's success that is the first concern. Twofeathers makes a valid point

tribefan40
December 2nd, 2011, 01:40 PM

Bet it feels good to be able to say that this year xthumbsupx

andy7171
December 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Bet it feels good to be able to say that this year xthumbsupx

You have no idea. The last five years have been miserable.

RichH2
December 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
You have no idea. The last five years have been miserable.

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx. It cannot be said enuf how remarkable TU has been this year. Kudos are well deservedxthumbsupx

Lakes Bison
December 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx. It cannot be said enuf how remarkable TU has been this year. Kudos are well deservedxthumbsupx

what about MWILL?

RichH2
December 2nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
what about MWILL?

HUH?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 2nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
HUH?

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope there was someone commonly referred to as MWill who plays offense.

RichH2
December 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope there was someone commonly referred to as MWill who plays offense.

Could be I guessbut I was referring to TU's phenominal turnaround

bluehenbillk
December 2nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
West not in the top 3 is criminal.

The Payton award is more of a Career Achievement Award versus awarding the best player.

West is an electric RB but is penalized because he is a freshman.

But, I counter with this - with West leading the way he took one of the most miserable FCS football programs who was at rock bottom last season, winless in the CAA, 1-10 overall I believe, to winning the most top to bottom competitive conference in FCS football.