PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk State Fires Offensive Coordinator

superman7515
December 1st, 2011, 07:31 AM
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/nsu-coach-adrian-fires-offensive-coordinator

Norfolk State offensive coordinator Joe Blackwell won't be back with the Spartans next season.

Norfolk State head coach Pete Adrian said Wednesday that he chose not to retain Blackwell and told the team during a meeting earlier in the week. Norfolk State's assistant coaches are on year-to-year contracts.

"I'm not going to go into it," Adrian said. "It's something I felt like I had to do. Stuff goes on behind the scenes. Let's put it like this, there's more that goes into coaching college than Xs and Os."......

asucrutch23
December 1st, 2011, 07:42 AM
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/nsu-coach-adrian-fires-offensive-coordinator

I guess he couldn't handle the crowd noise xlolx

TwoFeathers
December 1st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Sounds like somebody's wife was involved somehow...

Vitojr130
December 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM

Probably. I mean he did get them to the playoffs, didn't he?

Head Cat
December 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM

No, that only happens at Western Carolina.

Squealofthepig
December 1st, 2011, 02:43 PM
No, that only happens at Western Carolina.

Given current scandals, I think most schools would be happy if a scandal was "only" about simple marital infidelity.

superman7515
December 1st, 2011, 03:13 PM

Not sure where you would get that unless you didn't read the article and just decided to toss out something to see if it would stick.

superman7515
December 2nd, 2011, 08:06 AM
Blackwell Speaks Out About His Departure (http://hamptonroads.com/2011/12/nsu-football-blackwell-speaks-about-his-departure)

Quarterback Chris Walley said he’d taken issue with Blackwell’s manner of speaking during training camp, but the two had worked it out. Linebacker Corwin Hammond mentioned witnessing brief arguments with fellow coaches in the heat of practice.

Blackwell said he was never told to change his behavior, or warned that it was an issue, but he admitted his demanding approach can be difficult.

It’s also been successful. In the six seasons that Blackwell has been an offensive coordinator, his teams have won three MEAC titles, including twice at MEAC power South Carolina State. Offensive linemen from his team have won MEAC Offensive Lineman of the Year in five of the past six seasons.

“I can get hot and I’m brutally honest,” Blackwell said. “Sometimes that’s my problem. I’m too honest. If you ask for my opinion on something, you’re going to get it. There was a culture shock when I took over. That’s the nature of who I am. That’s what we did (at SC State). We coach ‘em up hard and we love ‘em up hard. ”

By the way, this is the second time he was fired as offensive coordinator in the same season his team won the MEAC Championship.