PDA

View Full Version : Russ Huesman to Memphis?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 30th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Just read on Rivals.com that Russ Huesman has been bandied about for the Memphis HC job. Personally, I don't see it happening. What do you think (especially you Chattanooga posters)?

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2011, 09:27 PM
wouldn't surprise me but I don't think so....I bet he feels like there's still some more to do there

ur2k
November 30th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Was hoping he would be a richmond candidate. How much does he make at nooga?

T-Dog
December 1st, 2011, 12:41 AM
He's Chatty alum so it would take a high figure to pry him away from what he considers his dream job.

chattanoogamocs
December 1st, 2011, 01:25 AM
That minute that job became available, I mentioned on Mocfans that he would get mentioned. He is very highly thought of there from his time on the staff (1998-2003).

Honestly though, I don't think they would hire him (they need a big name) and I don't think he would be interested (that program is arguably in worse shape right now than Chattanooga was in 2009). 2,500 in a 20,000 seat stadium doesn't look nearly as bad as 2,500 in a 60,000 seat stadium.

Chattanooga fans are pretty realistic. Loyal alum or not, if a bigger program came along, we could lose him. But, Memphis is absolutely horrible and quite frankly, they do not seem to care. Russ could make 3 or 4 times the money there, but in 3 or 4 years, he'd be looking for a job. That program will never be a winner until they have some real support from the university. There is a reason why they have had 5 or 6 coaches in the last 25 years and none of them have left with a winning record.

As for Richmond, I think he was approached the last time there was a change (at double the salary) and he quietly passed.

He is a very loyal alum and his kid is a redshirt freshman...it is going to take something pretty strong to pry him out.

chattanoogamocs
December 1st, 2011, 01:31 AM
Memphis is a mess.

Spent $8.6 million last year on football, revenues right at $4 million.

And they will be paying about $2.4 million a year in 2012 for head coaches.

Now that's what I call a brain trust over in the athletics department (no wonder the AD announced his retirement next year)

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/dec/01/paying-the-price-the-university-of-memphis-will/

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM
Memphis is a mess.

Now that's what I call a brain trust over in the athletics department (no wonder the AD announced his retirement next year)

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/dec/01/paying-the-price-the-university-of-memphis-will/

I think he's an excellent fit at UTC and would hate to see him go for you good guys. But, it would be great to see him go for chattownmocs. I just enjoy a good laugh. xlolx

Apphole
December 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM
I hope Memphis likes going for 2

henfan
December 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
I'm not being a wiseguy but is there really that much demand for a coach with as mediocre a record as Huesman?

OL FU
December 1st, 2011, 11:37 AM
I'm not being a wiseguy but is there really that much demand for a coach with as mediocre a record as Huesman?

My take. when you consider how long Chattanooga has been awful, rising to average with the possibility of better in the future is an accomplishment worth noting.

henfan
December 1st, 2011, 11:52 AM
My take. when you consider how long Chattanooga has been awful, rising to average with the possibility of better in the future is an accomplishment worth noting.

Just seems like a real stretch that an FBS program would offer a sniff to a guy like Heusman, who's never proven he can be a winner at the D-I level. I'd have to imagine that there are plenty of other coaches available with more experience and a much better track record.

OL FU
December 1st, 2011, 12:32 PM
Just seems like a real stretch that an FBS program would offer a sniff to a guy like Heusman, who's never proven he can be a winner at the D-I level. I'd have to imagine that there are plenty of other coaches available with more experience and a much better track record.

Maybe they think they can get him

Eagle22
December 1st, 2011, 12:36 PM

Army took such a chance on Todd Berry back in 1998. When you have such a bad job, if you aren't flush with cash to attract a big name you might have to consider someone with a less impressive W-L record. Plus, aside from the number of close losses, Huesman has done a pretty remarkable job turning UTC around in a relatively short period of time.

asumike83
December 1st, 2011, 12:39 PM
Maybe they think they can get him

Exactly. Memphis is coming off a 2-10 season with only 1 FBS win and an average attendance under 20K. While they are an FBS program, it is not exactly a dream job and the Memphis administration knows this. Doubt there are many coaches with a proven track record at the Division I level that have serious interest in Memphis.

henfan
December 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM
Army took such a chance on Todd Berry back in 1998. When you have such a bad job, if you aren't flush with cash to attract a big name you might have to consider someone with a less impressive W-L record. Plus, aside from the number of close losses, Huesman has done a pretty remarkable job turning UTC around in a relatively short period of time.

Well, Todd Berry was far more successful at ISU than Huesman has been at UTC. He flopped at Army. But at least Berry strung together a couple of playoff appearances, including one semi-final appearance. Huesman, OTOH? A couple of 6-5 seasons followed by a 5-6. I simply cannot fathom how that translates into a job promotion to the next level. Maybe there's some hidden talent aside from winning that makes Huesman a hot commodity. Guess we'll see just how hot he is in fairly short order.

asumike83
December 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
Well, Todd Berry was far more successful at ISU than Huesman has been at UTC. He flopped at Army. But at least Berry strung together a couple of playoff appearances, including one semi-final appearance. Huesman, OTOH? A couple of 6-5 seasons followed by a 5-6. I simply cannot fathom how that translates into a job promotion to the next level. Maybe there's some hidden talent aside from winning that makes Huesman a hot commodity. Guess we'll see just how hot he is in fairly short order.

Well then, you must not have been around to hear chattownmocs this season! He is the best recruiter at the FCS level who brings in premier talent and coaches them into an unstoppable force that cannot be defeated. Were it not for a handful of complete flukes that his team had no control over, they would easily have been 10-1 or 11-0. The FBS is taking notice.

Smitty
December 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM
Memphis is a mess.

Sounds almost like WCU... Are you sure this isn't the same school?

Eagle22
December 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM

Berry was 24-24 at ISU, which is pretty similar to Huesman's 17-16 record, though yes Berry did get them to the playoffs. Chattanooga has suffered from a bunch of games the last two years they could have won. Some may indict Huesman's coaching prowess, others see a mental block on the part of the program as the main hurdle, while others attribute it to the rise of play across the conference. Chattanooga today is a much better team than they were under Allison, record not-withstanding.

chattanoogamocs
December 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM

Well, if all you did was look at his record (which is apparently all you did), then you are correct, he is not qualified.

chattanoogamocs
December 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Sounds almost like WCU... Are you sure this isn't the same school?

Divide by about 3 on all those numbers and, sadly, yes...it is pretty much the same situation.

But hey...hope springs eternal!

Mountaineer#96
December 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
I think he stays and turns Chatty around all the way, then he will bolt for a green pasture. If he gets Chatty in the playoffs next year he will move to a bottom feeder in CUSA or ACC (a Duke, Maryland, Marshall or even Memphis again)

dgtw
December 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM
He just needs to bide his time until Dooley gets fired.

chattanoogamocs
December 2nd, 2011, 12:37 AM
He just needs to bide his time until Dooley gets fired.

I just vomited a little.

dgtw
December 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM
You wouldn't want Huesman at UT?

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2011, 07:45 AM

I'm guessing chattownmocs would. That guy loves him some Rocky Top!

asumike83
December 2nd, 2011, 08:43 AM

That would be like Jerry Moore leaving for UNC. I'd kill somebody!

pike51
December 2nd, 2011, 09:20 AM
Why would he leave UTC? They are going to win the SEC and BCS next season!!

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Why would he leave UTC? They are going to win the SEC and BCS next season!!

LSWho?