PDA

View Full Version : Kidd Brewer To Expand Again?

asujch
November 30th, 2011, 04:28 AM
After the Western game the other week I noticed a banner with a rendering of a future KBS with third deck, north endzone seating and pressbox. I searched for the campaign "No Limit" that was on the banner but no luck. Does anyone have more information on this? I've heard rumors that it's slated to be completed by 2013.
http://oi51.tinypic.com/2v1ojdd.jpg

SeattleGriz
November 30th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Sweet track!

GaSouthern
November 30th, 2011, 06:51 AM
So they are adding more lanes on the track for the upgrade or am I missing something obvious that has been posted a few times on AGS already this season? Nah I think they upgraded the track. ;)

JMU2004
November 30th, 2011, 06:53 AM
After the Western game the other week I noticed a banner with a rendering of a future KBS with third deck, north endzone seating and pressbox. I searched for the campaign "No Limit" that was on the banner but no luck. Does anyone have more information on this? I've heard rumors that it's slated to be completed by 2013.

yuck, tear down that aluminum side ya'll added a few years ago and start again.

AppStsGr8
November 30th, 2011, 07:22 AM
http://campaign.appstate.edu/goals

The stadium expansion is only a piece of the $200 million Campaign for Appalachian. The campaign has already raised over $115 million of its goal.

The Moody1
November 30th, 2011, 08:50 AM
This is just a rendering of one possibility. There are no firm plans as to what the expansion will actually look like.

HenZoneNation
November 30th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Good for Appy State...They are committed to their program and that's awesome.

biggie
November 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM
And there's already a thread for this somewhere.

Apphole
November 30th, 2011, 08:55 AM
This is just a rendering of one possibility. There are no firm plans as to what the expansion will actually look like.

The last expansion turned out exactly like what the render depicted. Doesn't necessarily mean this one will, just a thought.

Saint3333
November 30th, 2011, 09:00 AM
There was a minimum of three renderings of stadium expansion prior to deciding on the west side tower and east side expansion. I highly doubt this would be the final one for the next phase.

asumike83
November 30th, 2011, 09:04 AM
There was a minimum of three renderings of stadium expansion prior to deciding on the west side tower and east side expansion. I highly doubt this would be the final one for the next phase.

... I sure hope not. I love the idea of expansion, not a big fan of this rendering though.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Im guessing that several potential renderings were considered, and this was the one chosen. It prolly isnt the final rendering. It looks like it could be a Revit rendering, with the real site pic uploaded, and building added. In any case, parking loss should be minimal. It looks like its just Owens FH lot and the small section on the south side of duck pond field. Having the entrance plaza continue under the building is a nice touch, like coming out of a tunnel.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Haters gonna hate.

Seems like a lot of jealously for the stadium that has been leading FCS in regular season attendance for awhile now. xnodx

ysubigred
November 30th, 2011, 09:39 AM

http://sozzals.com/resources/who-cares.jpg

:Dxlolx I just love that pix ^^^ Seriously, App State is doing it right xbowx

I-16Bandit
November 30th, 2011, 10:38 AM
And there's already a thread for this somewhere.

2nd thread like this in 2 days. Somebody doesn't know how to search...

asujch
November 30th, 2011, 03:20 PM
2nd thread like this in 2 days. Somebody doesn't know how to search...

send me a link to it then

ASU_Fanatic
November 30th, 2011, 03:56 PM
There can never be enough App St thrreads ;).....that looks pretty neat, but if we ever wanna get Big East we just gona have to build a whole new stadium with about 45,000 seats.

mainejeff
November 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Who knew that there was so much money playing in the FCS!...........;)

Gringer1
November 30th, 2011, 04:46 PM
send me a link to it then

Since you're new around here, I'll let you in on a little secret. See that box in the upper right corner that says search? Throw some key words in there and it will find all sorts of fun stuff for you. If you really want a chuckle, look up posts by guys named "chattownmocs" "citdog" or "lakesbison"

asujch
November 30th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Since you're new around here, I'll let you in on a little secret. See that box in the upper right corner that says search? Throw some key words in there and it will find all sorts of fun stuff for you. If you really want a chuckle, look up posts by guys named "chattownmocs" "citdog" or "lakesbison"

I know what that is, I guess I just didnt look hard enough for it, all I can find is stadium pic threads, nothing on expansion

AppMan
November 30th, 2011, 09:24 PM
yuck, tear down that aluminum side ya'll added a few years ago and start again.

Freeze / thaw cycles from harsh winters in Boone make using metal almost mandatory. The lower levels were torn out and replaced in 1995 and it is shocking to see how bad the comcrete is crumbling. Metal is fine if done right, but unfortunately the ASU administration didn't do that. The first thing that needs to be addressed are those awful ramps. Its obvious no thought what-so-ever went into those things. JMU's new place is almost exclusively metal and it looks fine.

Dallas Demon
November 30th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Why is the track still there in the plans? Dig deeper, lower the field, put a lower bowl in to add a few thousand more seats along with the new upper deck.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Why is the track still there in the plans?

Because our administration likes trolling y'all.

owascoag
November 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Agreed - the 90 degree angles on the north end should be great for distance running

Grizzaholic
November 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Sweet track!

Like SeattleGriz said....about that track thing.

Wildcat80
December 1st, 2011, 04:17 AM
Agreed - the 90 degree angles on the north end should be great for distance running

Can we assume a nontrack guy drew up this plan? What's the real plan for the track?

asujch
December 1st, 2011, 05:07 AM
Can we assume a nontrack guy drew up this plan? What's the real plan for the track?

The rumors are to phase it out, and find a new home for track and field.

SoCon48
December 1st, 2011, 10:53 AM
The rumors are to phase it out, and find a new home for track and field.

It would mean playing all road games one season.

Catbooster
December 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Freeze / thaw cycles from harsh winters in Boone make using metal almost mandatory. The lower levels were torn out and replaced in 1995 and it is shocking to see how bad the comcrete is crumbling. Metal is fine if done right, but unfortunately the ASU administration didn't do that. The first thing that needs to be addressed are those awful ramps. Its obvious no thought what-so-ever went into those things. JMU's new place is almost exclusively metal and it looks fine.

Concrete shouldn't be any problem there. I'm no expert on the weather at Boone, but I doubt your temperature extremes are really that different than the ones we deal with here. The reason steel works well for reinforcing concrete is that the expansion/contraction is reasonably similar between them. But if no attention is paid to detailing, specifying and quality control, standard steel details may be a little more forgiving (depends on the situation). That being said, there's nothing wrong with using steel. Just pointing out that weather conditions are not a reason to avoid concrete.

ThompsonThe
December 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
They plan to move the track and field. Would NOT necessitate playing all road games at anytime.
From what I read, App State could get over 50,000 fans into the new improved stadium if they go ahead with it. That would still have some people on the South bank though.

boonegoon
December 1st, 2011, 11:22 AM

If you look closely, the track is still there. It's under the north endzone bleachers. It would appear to me that those could retract to use the track.

cbarrier90
December 1st, 2011, 11:32 AM
They plan to move the track and field. Would NOT necessitate playing all road games at anytime.
From what I read, App State could get over 50,000 fans into the new improved stadium if they go ahead with it. That would still have some people on the South bank though.

Fitting 50000 fans into the stadium and actually getting 50000 fans to a game are two completely different things. That's over twice the population of the town of Boone. Would the town be able to hold that many people on a Saturday?

As far as the track is concerned, I'm sure the administration would like to move it, but flat land is tough to find around here.

Smitty
December 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
Think traffic would be a nightmare?

GlassOnion
December 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM

Wow. I think 50,000 is way out of the realm of possibility. The second deck on the east side is only 4,000, the new grandstand and partial on the east look like they'll be in the neighborhood of 8-12,000, generously. That'd end up being 30,000-34,000 fixed seats. Our largest crowd was about 32,000, and we have 22,000 fixed, which means 10,000 were either on the sidelines or in the grass. 42,000 is more than this stadium will ever hold without bowling in the hill, or tearing down and redesigning some serious infrastructure.

cbarrier90
December 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Think traffic would be a nightmare?

In some cases, it already is. 31K at homecoming last year comes to mind.

biggie
December 1st, 2011, 11:40 AM
That GSU game this year was the worst traffic. Since everyone stayed until the end. Takes us about an hour just to get from parking to the town limits.

GlassOnion
December 1st, 2011, 12:14 PM
King St and the Library deck parking is pretty good. Its a staight shot out of downtown and onto 421. The cops controlling the lights really help, I dont think I've waited more than 10 min to get out of town yet this season once Im out of the deck. I can see how the 321ers really have it bad. There really is not another road that goes the same way, unless your willing to go all the way around grandfather mountain, which just defeats the purpose.

biggie
December 1st, 2011, 02:14 PM
King St is horrible for us, parking on the TN end of town. Our best bet is the go towards TN and cut over to 105 to go up 105 bypass back to 421.

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2011, 02:27 PM
I almost always go out to eat after the games... so, I haven't dealt with gameday traffic in a long time.

Vitojr130
December 1st, 2011, 02:31 PM
Go balls deep and expand to a 100,000 seating capacity and become the next "Big House"... Or not....

asujch
December 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM

Doubt it, at most the proposed expansion would fit 38-42K. Honestly though, if we did expand, the hill would never fill up again and I doubt we'd get 42K to come to every game, possibly at homecoming and the GSU game, but that's still a stretch. Attendance, while still very good, is way down from three years ago. We had 168,188 in total attendance with a average of 28,031 per home game in 2011. In 2008, without the new luxury suites and north endzone seating (around 4,000 seats) we had 172,364 total 28,727 avg. If you add in the extra 4,000 per game (assuming the sellout of permanent seats which we had in 08') that raises the total to 196,364 and a average of 32,727. That's a 13% loss.

Smitty
December 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
Doubt it, at most the proposed expansion would fit 38-42K. Honestly though, if we did expand, the hill would never fill up again and I doubt we'd get 42K to come to every game, possibly at homecoming and the GSU game, but that's still a stretch. Attendance, while still very good, is way down from three years ago. We had 168,188 in total attendance with a average of 28,031 per home game in 2011. In 2008, without the new luxury suites and north endzone seating (around 4,000 seats) we had 172,364 total 28,727 avg. If you add in the extra 4,000 per game (assuming the sellout of permanent seats which we had in 08') that raises the total to 196,364 and a average of 32,727. That's a 13% loss.

Also if you do jump up and start losing the attendance may drop then as well.

biggie
December 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
FYI the North Endzone seats are 1,500 and almost all students only. So it just keeps the sardine effect down in the student sections. That 1,500 hasn't really been added anywhere to the official capacity. I forgot the exact amount from luxury boxes/seats, believe it was less than 2k.

clenz
December 1st, 2011, 03:53 PM
If you look closely, the track is still there. It's under the north endzone bleachers. It would appear to me that those could retract to use the track.I believe Boise State does the same thing....It think I"ve heard they are going to redo their stadium and get rid of the track though....Maybe I'm thinking of a different school with that though.

asujch
December 1st, 2011, 03:53 PM
FYI the North Endzone seats are 1,500 and almost all students only. So it just keeps the sardine effect down in the student sections. That 1,500 hasn't really been added anywhere to the official capacity. I forgot the exact amount from luxury boxes/seats, believe it was less than 2k.

true, but it we're still on the decline in attendance. Hopefully we can go deep into the playoffs this year and it'l rejuvenate our fanbase.

asumike83
December 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM
I believe Boise State does the same thing....It think I"ve heard they are going to redo their stadium and get rid of the track though....Maybe I'm thinking of a different school with that though.

Yep, they are renovating the stadium and removing the track. However, I think it is Nevada who has the track running underneath the end zone seats.

cbarrier90
December 1st, 2011, 04:21 PM
true, but it we're still on the decline in attendance. Hopefully we can go deep into the playoffs this year and it'l rejuvenate our fanbase.

xeyebrowx

Oh, no! Only 27K showed up this year when last year 28K showed up! The sky is falling!

clenz
December 1st, 2011, 04:26 PM
Yep, they are renovating the stadium and removing the track. However, I think it is Nevada who has the track running underneath the end zone seats.

I know BSU had stands over the track as well...if for no other reason than that is how NCAA12 had it set up and playing through my coaching dynasty I ended up coaching against BSU.

asujch
December 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
xeyebrowx

Oh, no! Only 27K showed up this year when last year 28K showed up! The sky is falling!

The thing is though, that 28K in 08' came early and stayed late and was loud the whole time. the crowd this year IMO was pretty pathetic minus the GSU game. I want that passion back in the crowd.

tractorapp
December 1st, 2011, 06:26 PM
I know BSU had stands over the track as well...if for no other reason than that is how NCAA12 had it set up and playing through my coaching dynasty I ended up coaching against BSU.

I was told by a member of our coaching staff that the Boise set-up for the endzone seating is what we are planning to use. He told me that back in the summer before the plans were released to the public, so I'm fairly confident that is accurate. I hope we can eventually re-locate the track, and drop the field level lower in order to increase seating
capacity, but there has been talk about a stream just below field level, so I'm not sure how expensive/extensive the engineering would be. Other than a lack of $, I don't understand why we don't locate the track to the soccer stadium and make KB a football only facility.

SoCon48
December 1st, 2011, 09:30 PM
I was told by a member of our coaching staff that the Boise set-up for the endzone seating is what we are planning to use. He told me that back in the summer before the plans were released to the public, so I'm fairly confident that is accurate. I hope we can eventually re-locate the track, and drop the field level lower in order to increase seating
capacity, but there has been talk about a stream just below field level, so I'm not sure how expensive/extensive the engineering would be. Other than a lack of $, I don't understand why we don't locate the track to the soccer stadium and make KB a football only facility.

The soccer stadium is not ours. It is a joint venture with Parks and Rec.

AppMan
December 1st, 2011, 09:58 PM
THE TRACK WILL BE REMOVED. John Weaver (ASU Track Coach) is actively looking at potential sites for a new track complex. Originally it was to be built in conjunction with the basball stadium, but site issues prevented it. Unable to dig down due to natural springs which run under the field. Primary reason artificial turf was installed in 1970 was because the field was always soft and mushy due to those springs. All expansion will be in the endzones and on East Side.

proasu89
December 1st, 2011, 10:00 PM
The soccer stadium is not ours. It is a joint venture with Parks and Rec.

I believe there are plans to build an on campus soccer facility, probably with a track. No big loss for the parks and rec as they would then have that facility all to themself.

Squealofthepig
December 1st, 2011, 10:01 PM
THE TRACK WILL BE REMOVED.

Honestly, as an FCS and general football fan - even as someone who ran track and still runs the occasional ultra - this is nothing but good news. Move the track field and get fans closer to the field.

proasu89
December 1st, 2011, 10:07 PM
Honestly, as an FCS and general football fan - even as someone who ran track and still runs the occasional ultra - this is nothing but good news. Move the track field and get fans closer to the field.

As AppMan said there are underground springs that will not allow us to dig down and lower the field. I'm cool with both endzones being close and having a little extra room on the sidelines. As long as the track is gone it will look fine.

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM
I believe there are plans to build an on campus soccer facility, probably with a track.

Where could we possibly fit a track on campus?

asujch
December 2nd, 2011, 02:25 AM

no clue, lol

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2011, 07:37 AM

See this link for the petition and proposal. It also has a letter from CC stating that the goal is to get an on-campus soccer facility.

http://www.appstatesoccer.com/petition.asp

Smitty
December 2nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
no clue, lol

We will let you rent our track when we are not using it

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2011, 07:42 AM
The thing is though, that 28K in 08' came early and stayed late and was loud the whole time. the crowd this year IMO was pretty pathetic minus the GSU game. I want that passion back in the crowd.

Really? The mid-game exodus has been going on for a while. I've had the same seats in 205 (the former 5A) since 2006 and can, without doubt, say that. I can remember yelling to fans leaving after the 3rd quarter that the game was not over.

I don't know if it's nostalgia, or just wanting to rip the fans, but the fans in 08 were not that much better than the fans in 11. I will admit that we have seen an increase in fans that go for the social aspect with football being a secondary reason to be there, but those fans pay for the tickets too. Not to mention, we will desperately need those types of fans if we are to make the switch to FBS. If 28k keep wanting to pay, then ASU will gladly take their money.

boonegoon
December 2nd, 2011, 09:22 AM

I wish they could get the old Watauga High Complex.

Apphole
December 2nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
How much room is there on that mountain behind the stadium? I know they're renovating the Broyhill Inn to serve as grad student housing and the baseball field is there. Is there anywhere with enough space for a track facility? There would have to be some forest clearing which would get the hippies panties in a wad for sure. If there is anywhere on campus with enough room, I feel like that would have to be it.

The old WHS land would be perfect. In fact, they already have a track don't they?

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
How much room is there on that mountain behind the stadium? I know they're renovating the Broyhill Inn to serve as grad student housing and the baseball field is there. Is there anywhere with enough space for a track facility? There would have to be some forest clearing which would get the hippies panties in a wad for sure. If there is anywhere on campus with enough room, I feel like that would have to be it.

The old WHS land would be perfect. In fact, they already have a track don't they?

I just posted this a few posts ago. Check it out and you'll find your answer.

http://www.appstatesoccer.com/petition.asp

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Are the donations for soccer enough for that plan?

appfan2008
December 2nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
need to move the track first and foremost before any more expansion or fbs move... IMO...

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
Are the donations for soccer enough for that plan?

That's a good question. From what I can gather, they're finding a lot of support...now, that support turning into $$$ is another issue.

SeattleGriz
December 3rd, 2011, 02:37 AM
I will say it again.

SWEET TRACK.

App High loses that and we can talk, until then, enjoy your 12K for playoffs.

...and yes, I am being a turd.

Can't wait for the opener next season!

Skjellyfetti
December 3rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Haters gonna hate.

Seems like a lot of jealously for the stadium that has been leading FCS in regular season attendance for awhile now. xnodx

needs repeating

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
has anyone mentioned that hideous track yet? xlolx I admit I would be a tad jealous if that eyesore was photo shopped outxpeacex