PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Monken to UAB?

dgtw
November 29th, 2011, 10:20 PM
C-USA member Alabama-Birmingham is looking for a new coach and one name being kicked around is Jeff Monken of GSU. I don't know if he is a serious candidate or if someone looking to fill space just wrote his name down because of the Alabama game.

Anyway, he issued a statement saying he wasn't interested. But my question for GSU fans is, do you think he would leave? How much does he make at GSU? I think the UAB job would pay in the neighborhood of $500,000. does he have some ties to the Statesboro area or the school before he became head coach? Would his offense work at a higher level?

Given the state of the program at UAB, I think he'd be a fool to take the job. They play in a lousy stadium, have poor attendance and poor facilities. Their fanbase on their message board doesn't seem too wild about him, either.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=536111

I lurk, but do not post there. A very strange and paranoid group.

TwoFeathers
November 29th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I say if he wins the championship this year, he should move up. Otherwise, stay until he does win it all.

NoCoDanny
November 29th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Slightly off topic but what does UAB draw in attendance per game?

Skjellyfetti
November 29th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Slightly off topic but what does UAB draw in attendance per game?

They claim 16k. That's probably generous.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/908/566344.jpg

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/908/566345.jpg

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2011, 10:32 PM
If so, good riddance Paul Jr.

dgtw
November 29th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Not very well. Their announced attendance for a Thursday night game this year was 8,800 people. They probably average around 15,000 per game. but that is the official gate count, I'm not sure if that is tickets sold or people actually there. The city of Birmingham buys a bunch of tickets every year to help the program.

They play in Legion Field, which is way past its prime and is in a not so nice part of town. The team has a lousy record, so its hard to blame people for not showing up for games. They had a proposal for an on campus stadium but it was rejected by the University of Alabama board of Trustees, a group that oversees the campuses in Tuscaloosa, Birmingham and Huntsville. UAB fans are convinced it is a plot by the Board (of which Bear Bryant's son is a member) to shut down the program.

There may be some anti-UAB bias on the board, but the people on that website I linked are very paranoid. Any local media member who questions their need for a stadium is labeled an Alabama puppet. I used to support them getting a stadium, but they've turned me against them.

We went to see them play Jax State a few years ago. I think the game drew around 25,000, but about 1/3 of the people there were Gamecock fans.

Gringer1
November 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM
We've been discussing this on the GSU forum. We think he would be crazy to take the UAB job. He was an assistant coach at GSU while Paul Johnson was here and was part of some great championship teams. He loves being back with us and the administration is giving him a lot of support. From a great new field house to practice facilities, the administrators are stepping up their efforts to help our coaching staff out. Monken has it made at GSU right now and it would probably take a lot to get him to step away from that.

eaglewraith
November 29th, 2011, 10:53 PM
It would take a serious school to draw him away. The money offered at UAB is barely more than what he makes now (I'm assuming he's on par or more than what Hatcher/BVG were making). They have ****ty support and they are WAY overshadowed by Bama and Auburn. They were also just denied by the state on building a new stadium.

GaSouthern
November 30th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Monken will leave for the FBS in the next 10 years, probably in 5 years or less.

But he would never leave to go to that hell hole.

Cocky
November 30th, 2011, 07:18 AM
The City of Birmingham does the attendance which is people in attendance not tickets sold.
He would be crazy to take the job. UAT will not let UAB win long term.

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM
http://savannahnow.com/share/blog-post/donald-heath/2011-11-28/monken-denies-interest-uab-job

“That’s news to me,” said Monken after GSU football practice Monday. “That’s what happens when you’re part of a program where you’re successful. They probably didn’t mention a lot of names of guys from programs that aren’t winning. It’s flattering but I’m not interested. I’m the coach at Georgia Southern.”

END OF STORY.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM
END OF STORY.

I don't know if he'll take the job or not... but, these kind of statements coaches make turn out to be bull**** quite a bit.

Last week, Urban Meyer was denying reports. This week, not so much.

End of story? Not quite.

trusty
November 30th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I don't know if he'll take the job or not... but, these kind of statements coaches make turn out to be bull**** quite a bit.

End of story? Not quite.

I think Meyer was a little different right? He kept saying that he had not been offered any job with Ohio St but never really said anything about talks going on right? Once there was an offer he took it. Monken I think is saying that there are no talks at all and he is not interested at all and that he is staying where he is. It may be bs but I would be surprised if he leaves GSU for UAB.

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 09:49 AM

End of story? Not quite.

ITS UAB. That dumpter fire of a program is being strangled by the Board of Trustees. In that State... its only Auburn and Alabama. If it was a much better program then I would be cautious. Monken's potential move up be tied will be directly tied to Paul Johnson and his success in the FBS. If Paul Johnson demonstrates to that this offense will work in the FBS ( I think he is 34-18 at GT, but needs more success), then people will look to Monken for our rare offense. It feels that the FBS has not bought in the Paul Johnson's offense despite his current success.

Again... its UAB.

AUtigersGSUeagles
November 30th, 2011, 09:50 AM
The City of Birmingham does the attendance which is people in attendance not tickets sold.
He would be crazy to take the job. UAT will not let UAB win long term.

This. So much this. Paul Bryant, Jr. and the Board of Trustees that controls UAB (the same as the one at The Capstone) will never give any measure of support to UAB football and risk them actually being competitive. Georgia Southern averages more in attendance than UAB, and he probably makes close to the same amount of money as he would there. It would be insane of him to take that job.

Mikeyosef
November 30th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Several GS posters have stated Jeff Monken makes $450K which, based on everything I have read over the years, would make him the highest compensated coach in the FCS...by far! I assume the 450K is salary plus bonus, plus etc. but can someone clarify his compensation package further? I know Jerry Moore's salary is in line with or slightly above the average for the SOCON putting him in the 180K range and I'm sure he receives bonuses and other incentives but seriously doubt anything close to 450K. I've long thought JM is under-compensated and I'm just curious about the figures others have thrown out for their coaches.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2011, 10:46 AM
This site lists Monken's salary at 118k for the 2010 fiscal year from Georgia Southern and 84k from Georgia Tech:
http://www.open.georgia.gov/sta/search.aud

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Several GS posters have stated Jeff Monken makes $450K which, based on everything I have read over the years, would make him the highest compensated coach in the FCS...by far! I assume the 450K is salary plus bonus, plus etc. but can someone clarify his compensation package further? I know Jerry Moore's salary is in line with or slightly above the average for the SOCON putting him in the 180K range and I'm sure he receives bonuses and other incentives but seriously doubt anything close to 450K. I've long thought JM is under-compensated and I'm just curious about the figures others have thrown out for their coaches.

I've heard Gag-State's coach Bill Curry is the highest in FCS, but I'm not familair with what the figures might be.

straightshooter
November 30th, 2011, 10:48 AM
This site lists Monken's salary at 118k for the 2010 fiscal year from Georgia Southern and 84k from Georgia Tech:
http://www.open.georgia.gov/sta/search.aud

That's what his salary is from the school alone. There are additional booster dollars in his actual salary, which makes is significantly more. It also shows UGA coach Mark Richt making $381,000 and he makes 2 million.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM
That's what his salary is from the school alone. There are additional booster dollars in his actual salary, which makes is significantly more.

I know. But, when people throw out Jerry Moore's 170k figure... they're referring to his salary from the school alone. And when people say UAB's coach made 400k... they're referring to his salary paid by the school alone.

So, we need to just look at ONE set of salaries to make comparisons of these coaches' compensation. Since salaries paid to public employees are easily available and verifiable... it makes sense to use that as the comparison.

Since there are different numbers being thrown around in this thread... I didn't want anyone to have the impression that Georgia Southern pays their coach more than UAB... since UAB can pay their coach twice as much.

GSUhooligan
November 30th, 2011, 11:28 AM
If that's FY10(7-1-09 to 6-30-10), then it is only half of his state salary since he didn't start until January. Plus, I'm pretty sure he negotiated a pay bump after last year when UL-M came knocking.

Silenoz
November 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Their fanbase on their message board doesn't seem too wild about him, either.

That's because people are retarded. They'd rather have some has-been that kicks around different FBS and/or NFL teams, ending each tenure with a firing

eaglemachine
November 30th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Don't quote me on this but I think I recall his salary being about 220k or 250k per year plus booster and appearance money. I think that Billy Curry at ga state is 350K.

http://prideofthepanthers.blogspot.com/2010/09/coach-bill-curry-highest-paid-fcs-coach.html

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2011, 11:41 AM
If that's FY10(7-1-09 to 6-30-10), then it is only half of his state salary since he didn't start until January.

And it's still close to half of UAB's salary for their head coach last year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I fully expect Monken to ditch us when the right job offer comes. This one wouldn't be it, though.

Thankfully for us, UAB seems to be one of those places that thinks that what we do isn't "real football". They seem to have a very much orthodox approach to football.

GSUhooligan
November 30th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I fully expect Monken to ditch us when the right job offer comes. This one wouldn't be it, though.

Thankfully for us, UAB seems to be one of those places that thinks that what we do isn't "real football". They seem to have a very much orthodox approach to football.

It don't get more orthodox than running the crap out of the ball. The forward pass wasn't a part of the original game of football.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2011, 02:23 PM
It don't get more orthodox than running the crap out of the ball. The forward pass wasn't a part of the original game of football.

you can thank Teddy Roosevelt, Big government, and the Ivy league for the forward pass......though I could be wrong about that, I'm trying to remember the specifics

cbarrier90
November 30th, 2011, 02:29 PM
you can thank Eddie Cochems, injuries, and deaths from the game of football for the forward pass......though I could be wrong about that, I'm trying to remember the specifics

Fixed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_pass#Rules_changed_in_1906_to_allow_the_fo rward_pass

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2011, 02:30 PM

nothing against GSU, but I think that's what makes them different from the rest of the Socon/FCS. App State and Wofford have their "Paterno" (minus the conspiracy) and that gives them consistency, whereas how long was the longest tenured coach at GSU? 7 years maybe (that's a guess I pulled out of my ***)?

GSU wins because of what they are as a program not necessarily what they get from a coach. I mean, this isn't a jab at academics, but the option is primarily designed in modern context for programs who can't get that top notch athletes; GSU can recruit better athletes with or without the TO (as they were still competitive in the SoCon when it wasn't there) and the fact that they play against competition that can't recruit the athletes to disrupt and stop the option coupled with that ability/advantage REALLY plays into their favor.

Does that makes sense? I don't intend that as a back-handed compliment so please don't take it that way.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Fixed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_pass#Rules_changed_in_1906_to_allow_the_fo rward_pass

Teddy Roosevelt was still involved :p

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 02:43 PM
nothing against GSU, but I think that's what makes them different from the rest of the Socon/FCS. App State and Wofford have their "Paterno" (minus the conspiracy) and that gives them consistency, whereas how long was the longest tenured coach at GSU? 7 years maybe (that's a guess I pulled out of my ***)?

GSU wins because of what they are as a program not necessarily what they get from a coach. I mean, this isn't a jab at academics, but the option is primarily designed in modern context for programs who can't get that top notch athletes; GSU can recruit better athletes with or without the TO (as they were still competitive in the SoCon when it wasn't there) and the fact that they play against competition that can't recruit the athletes to disrupt and stop the option coupled with that ability/advantage REALLY plays into their favor.

Does that makes sense? I don't intend that as a back-handed compliment so please don't take it that way.

Makes no sense at all... ;)

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Even if he left, wouldn't one of Monken's or Paul Johnson's protege's just step in and keep the Triple Option rolling???

TwoFeathers
November 30th, 2011, 02:48 PM
May be a topic for a different thread, but why hasn't Paul Johnson's system been as successful at the FBS level at Ga Tech, as it was, and still is, at Ga Southern? Did he mix it up?

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Even if he left, wouldn't one of Monken's or Paul Johnson's protege's just step in and keep the Triple Option rolling???
yes

May be a topic for a different thread, but why hasn't Paul Johnson's system been as successful at the FBS level at Ga Tech, as it was, and still is, at Ga Southern? Did he mix it up?

As I said, it's the perfect fit for GSU, GT has to play the top notch athletes every year at VT, UGA, North Carolina, and occasionally Clemson, FSU, etc. The reason why it's more successful in the FCS than the FBS is because the FBS has superior athletes in the trenches that can disrupt the execution of the option more consistently than the FCS. Couple that with the fact that GSU can recruit with anyone in the FCS and they're bound to be successful.

Paul Johnson isn't as successful at GT not because he's changed things up (though his play-calling kinda sucks nowadays) but because the defenses are just that much better.

eaglemachine
November 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM

PJ needs a qb that can run and throw the ball well. So far, the passing game has been terrible. The qb they have now threw the ball well the first few games then his accuracy went down the tubes. He needs a Tracy Ham type of athlete (and a better defense). Once he finds those pieces, GA Tech will run over everyone.

GSU EAGLES
November 30th, 2011, 03:44 PM
yes

As I said, it's the perfect fit for GSU, GT has to play the top notch athletes every year at VT, UGA, North Carolina, and occasionally Clemson, FSU, etc. The reason why it's more successful in the FCS than the FBS is because the FBS has superior athletes in the trenches that can disrupt the execution of the option more consistently than the FCS. Couple that with the fact that GSU can recruit with anyone in the FCS and they're bound to be successful.

Paul Johnson isn't as successful at GT not because he's changed things up (though his play-calling kinda sucks nowadays) but because the defenses are just that much better.

Georgia Southern is able to recruit top athletes compared to other FCS teams. That combined with the triple option is deadly.

At Ga Tech it is difficult to recruit top athletes in relation to their peers. At Ga Tech, the easiest major is Business managment which is not an easy major considering your peers in the class scored close to 1400 on the SAT (old scale). The bottom line is that it is very difficult for them to find athletes that can hack it in school......similar to what has happened to Notre Dame.

dgtw
November 30th, 2011, 03:44 PM
That's because people are retarded. They'd rather have some has-been that kicks around different FBS and/or NFL teams, ending each tenure with a firing

If you click back a few pages on there you'll find a thread where people want to hire Bobby Bowden. Yes, I meant Bobby and not one of his kids. They seem serious about it.

Like I said, I lurk there for the laughs.

ASU_Fanatic
November 30th, 2011, 03:49 PM
He would be crazy, if it were somewhere like ECU it would be a different story but that place seems impossible to win at

The Eagle's Cliff
November 30th, 2011, 04:53 PM
If we get a kid to campus at Georgia Southern, we can win most recruiting battles against FCS as well as Sunbelt, CUSA, and MAC. The new endzone facility discussed in the off-season is Monken's baby as much as it is Dr. Keel's. That facility, stadium expansion, and a push to build a multi-purpose indoor arena with the City, County and State should be clear enough writing on the wall.

CJM is well compensated and you can't leave out cost-of-living and quality-of-life when discussing salary. It'll take Navy or better to lure Monken away.

The TO at Ga Southern IS Georgia Southern Football. It's as much a part of our identity as the Yellow School Buses. Having a relatively small and young alumni base and a small market footprint in the middle of UGA Dawg Country have been serious impediments to our financial growth, but that appears to be improving finally.

Our entire athletics budget is the smallest in the SoCon and among the smallest in the nation at $10 million. We're working hard building the infrastructure to seriously grow that number and the early results exceed our goals. People who were Freshman when we started football are just now turning 47 years old and our enrollment has more than tripled since then. We just finished an unbelievable First 30 years of Football at Georgia Southern. The next 30 years should see more exponential growth and success as the "lull" of the 20 Oh's is put behind us.

GSU EAGLES
November 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM
If you click back a few pages on there you'll find a thread where people want to hire Bobby Bowden. Yes, I meant Bobby and not one of his kids. They seem serious about it.

Like I said, I lurk there for the laughs.

If Bobby is too senile maybe they should go after Bill Curry.