PDA

View Full Version : OVC Gave Money to EKU to Increase Playoff Bid

whitey
November 29th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Mike Barber (JMU Football Reporter for the Harrisonburg Daily New Record) just tweeted:

Eastern Kentucky's bid to host 1st rd I-AA playoff game included money contributed by Ohio Valley Conference. Details coming. #CAAfb #JMU

What are everyone's feelings on this? I honestly think this should be against the rules (and I'm NOT saying this because JMU got outbid for this game). Allowing this can further divide the haves and have nots of FCS football.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Well everybody should have egg on their face. That was the only televised game and the crowd was pitiful. ESPN, the NCAA, EKU and the OVC should be embarrassed.

blukeys
November 29th, 2011, 09:50 AM
A conference can only do this if they have zero faith that the 2 teams that are in the playoffs would eventually meet up in a later round. It seems that the OVC is correct in making this assessment. Could not happen in the CAA.

whitey
November 29th, 2011, 09:54 AM
A conference can only do this if they have zero faith that the 2 teams that are in the playoffs would eventually meet up in a later round. It seems that the OVC is correct in making this assessment. Could not happen in the CAA.

Not sure if I follow you here. Playoff bids are due 2 weeks before the selections occur. Did the OVC also promise money to Tennessee Tech, Jax State and Murray State?

whitey
November 29th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Or are you saying that league's like the CAA which regularly get 4+ teams in couldn't afford to do this?

UNH Fanboi
November 29th, 2011, 09:57 AM
If the OVC wants to waste money so that their fans can see the OVC lose its 20th playoff game in a row, let them.

GlassOnion
November 29th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I dont like it, but it would help the havenots rather than divide them from the haves. It enables them to win playoff bids against schools like, JMU, or an App, or GSU. It was actually a smart move for the conference, especially if they can aid every OVC team. If not, it could fracture the hell out of the conference. The NCAA likely wont care where the $ comes from as long as it goes right into their pockets.

It harms the FCS as a whole, because now we'll be fighting to have also rans with 2000 in attendence broadcast on national television. Unfair or not, having the JMU/ASU/GSU/UNI/MU home playoff games adds to the credibility of the division, especially when TV is concerned. Market and perception is everything.

DJKyR0
November 29th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Or are you saying that league's like the CAA which regularly get 4+ teams in couldn't afford to do this?

I think he means that in the event two non-seed conference schools meet up. IE, who do you give money to to host? The odds of the (potentially) two OVC schools meeting was ridiculously low (and obviously panned out). Five unseeded CAA teams obviously makes that a tough call.

At least that's how I understand it with otherwise no contextual reference.

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Maybe the OVC only gave EKU first round money?

superman7515
November 29th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I don't see the big deal with it. Helps their conference out and it's perfectly within the rules, so no reason to to object to it if their teams aren't complaining.

Squealofthepig
November 29th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Maybe the OVC only gave EKU first round money?

That's an interesting point. Tennessee Tech's stadium was much more full and didn't seem like a bad showing on a Thanksgiving weekend (although both TT and UCA having their first playoff games probably helped this, too).

I also agree with GlassOnion - until you do away with regionalization/bids, allowing conferences to help chip in will at least help them in getting a home playoff game. I'd love to see the numbers on the actual bid (I know, I'm dreaming) - it's still a travesty to see the third-best attended home team (JMU) have to go on the road and play in front of a crowd less than TEN PERCENT of their home average (2,388 vs. just a bit over 25,000)

Bogus Megapardus
November 29th, 2011, 10:21 AM
What's wrong with a conference choosing to support a member's playoff bid? I don't get it.

blukeys
November 29th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Not so much that the CAA couldn't afford it, it is more like the fairnesss of it. I am assuming the deal was only for EKU. (not sure if this is true or not). If so how does this play out long term. Obviously, home field does have an advantage and if EKU were to advance they could possibly meet a conference mate in the playoffs.

In the CAA the potential for meeting a conference mate in the playoffs is exponentially larger than the OVC. As you know CAA/CAA matchups in later rounds are not uncommon. The CAA giving $$$ to UNH for a home bid would not sit well with UD if you then had to face UNH later.

Since the OVC has little confidence that their 2 conference mates would meet up later on then helping out a brother is not a big a deal.

By the way, if the CAA wants to establish a slush fund for these types of shenanigans, I am not opposed. I am not shocked that the OVC attempts these types of things. They can't honestly win on the field (as evidenced by their playoff record) so they believe they need an edge.

RabidRabbit
November 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM
OVC almost always ends up on the road, and seeing how the home team wins about 65-70% of the games, why not do, as a conference, what would increase the chance to play on. I would be surprised if the EKU was the only assurance the OVC provided. Probably had TN Tech covered, as well as Jax St.

Wonder if IL St./ YSU/ In St. had some assistance promised by MVFC if made it. I could see IL St, Ind St, getting assistance as they are members on both sides of the MVC. YSU, being in the Horizon, may not get the support.

BEAR
November 29th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Mike Barber (JMU Football Reporter for the Harrisonburg Daily New Record) just tweeted:

What are everyone's feelings on this? I honestly think this should be against the rules (and I'm NOT saying this because JMU got outbid for this game). Allowing this can further divide the haves and have nots of FCS football.

Classic. xlolx What fanbase said that if it came down to JMU or UCA getting in the playoffs that it should be JMU because they have better facilities, bigger crowds and more money. xrolleyesx I don't know what fanbase the Tweeter follows, but if it's JMU let him or her know the same thing Bear fans were told by JMU fans...that money talks with the NCAA and they don't care where it came from...xnodxxlolx

bluehenbillk
November 29th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Well I'd like to know how much exactly the OVC gave EKU & what was their bid.

Honestly, JMU really didn't bid very highly for the game, so I have little pity for them that the game was in KY.

BEAR
November 29th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Well I'd like to know how much exactly the OVC gave EKU & what was their bid.

Honestly, JMU really didn't bid very highly for the game, so I have little pity for them that the game was in KY.

Hey wait....maybe they also provided for TTU....xlolx

Dallas Demon
November 29th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Classic. xlolx What fanbase said that if it came down to JMU or UCA getting in the playoffs that it should be JMU because they have better facilities, bigger crowds and more money. xrolleyesx I don't know what fanbase the Tweeter follows, but if it's JMU let him or her know the same thing Bear fans were told by JMU fans...that money talks with the NCAA and they don't care where it came from...xnodxxlolx

How dare you to throw logic, facts, and reality into this argument! xlolx

BEAR
November 29th, 2011, 11:02 AM
How dare you to throw logic, facts, and reality into this argument! xlolx

My apologies. xlolx

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 11:06 AM
No problem with this at all. The OVC should do everything and anything they can do to try to reverse the more than a decade losing streak in the playoffs. That can't be a good selling point come recruiting time and it begins to be a viscous cycle. If you can get a home game and have better odds of winning, why not? And they almost pulled it off even with their 3rd place team. And really, this doesn't excuse JMU from simply low-balling the bid in the first place - when you bid less than $50k for the game, you're going to lose probably every time. JMU clearly either didn't want the game or was just flat out cheap about it. Just sour grapes whining about it now and whining about how the OVC helped to make it happen.

LakesBison
November 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM
another reason to leave the FCS. what a joke. it was an absolute embarassment to FCS, OVC, ESPN. just reinforced the idea of sports fan around the country thinking fcs is a rinky dink operation.

argh. like i said, there's only about 10 good programs in fcs, time for them to move on.

BEAR
November 29th, 2011, 11:11 AM
another reason to leave the FCS. what a joke. it was an absolute embarassment to FCS, OVC, ESPN. just reinforced the idea of sports fan around the country thinking fcs is a rinky dink operation.

argh. like i said, there's only about 10 good programs in fcs, time for them to move on.

What are those programs? Since coming to the FCS, I've seen the top ten rotate yearly. Since I haven't been following the FCS for decades, which 10 teams should move on to great conferences like the WAC and the Sunbelt. xlolx

LakesBison
November 29th, 2011, 11:17 AM
West

NDSU
Montana
Montana State
UNI

East

Ga Southern
Appy St
JMU
Delaware/Richmond

thats about it. looks like a good conference to me, with travelling partners east/west

whitey
November 29th, 2011, 11:18 AM

Don't lump us all together. I had UCA in before JMU.

Redhawk2010
November 29th, 2011, 11:21 AM
The OVC has done that multiple times. They put up money for SEMO last year, but it didn't matter..

boonegoon
November 29th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I don't see a real problem with this. I think it's nice to see a conference attempt to increase enthusiasm for their conference in the playoffs. It was a financial gamble that probably didn't payoff due to the poor fan support. There could be a potential problem in that conferences with more money could help out their schools the same way and basically make it impossible for other conferences to compete for home games.

BEAR
November 29th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Don't lump us all together. I had UCA in before JMU.

Not lumping ALL JMU fans in together...didn't mean to imply that. xpeacex

Dukie95
November 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
No problem with this at all. The OVC should do everything and anything they can do to try to reverse the more than a decade losing streak in the playoffs. That can't be a good selling point come recruiting time and it begins to be a viscous cycle. If you can get a home game and have better odds of winning, why not? And they almost pulled it off even with their 3rd place team. And really, this doesn't excuse JMU from simply low-balling the bid in the first place - when you bid less than $50k for the game, you're going to lose probably every time. JMU clearly either didn't want the game or was just flat out cheap about it. Just sour grapes whining about it now and whining about how the OVC helped to make it happen.

The NCAA takes the bid as a minimum number PLUS they walk away with 75% of the profits from the game. The bid is merely a starting point, but it doesn't simply go to the highest bidder, they also look at revenue potential.

The EKU bid must have been gigantic to trump the potential revenue JMU would have brought in.

If it were only about the bid, you would have a hard time convincing me that, in all the years that UD, Montana, App St., etc.. NEVER traveled (except when playing seeds), that they always, without exception, had the highest bid on paper. I'm sure they lost bids before, but the NCAA says "hmm Delaware averages 20k, this school averages 10, we're going with UD, despite the lower guarantee".

I've suspected all along that EKU bid a crazy amount to guarantee a home game against anyone...like in the 200k range. JMU may not have under-bid, rather they were the victim of overly-aggressive, unexpected, crazy bidding. Now that this information is coming to light, that's starting to seem more likely.

Cocky
November 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Im happy the OVC is serious enough about football to do it. I thought the schools were only worried about basketball.

Cleets
November 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM

The FCS is a rinky dink operation...
Compared to the BCS this is rinky dink no matter how you slice it

BTW: I wouldn't have it any other way, but we need to honestly look at the situation - pretending that FCS is big time isn't going to change the facts

NoDak 4 Ever
November 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM
The FCS is a rinky dink operation...
Compared to the BCS this is rinky dink no matter how you slice it

BTW: I wouldn't have it any other way, but we need to honestly look at the situation - pretending that FCS is big time isn't going to change the facts

What do you expect from a Fergus Falls Community College dropout who gloms on to the biggest school in the region? He doesn't understand what's going on.

Cleets
November 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM
What do you expect from a Fergus Falls Community College dropout who gloms on to the biggest school in the region? He doesn't understand what's going on.

We're small potatoes
It's a tough pill to swallow but it's just a fact

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM
The NCAA takes the bid as a minimum number PLUS they walk away with 75% of the profits from the game. The bid is merely a starting point, but it doesn't simply go to the highest bidder, they also look at revenue potential.

The EKU bid must have been gigantic to trump the potential revenue JMU would have brought in.

If it were only about the bid, you would have a hard time convincing me that, in all the years that UD, Montana, App St., etc.. NEVER traveled (except when playing seeds), that they always, without exception, had the highest bid on paper. I'm sure they lost bids before, but the NCAA says "hmm Delaware averages 20k, this school averages 10, we're going with UD, despite the lower guarantee".

I've suspected all along that EKU bid a crazy amount to guarantee a home game against anyone...like in the 200k range. JMU may not have under-bid, rather they were the victim of overly-aggressive, unexpected, crazy bidding. Now that this information is coming to light, that's starting to seem more likely.

Oh I get all that, but you're also assuming that JMU would've have tons of revenue potential. But why? In '08, when JMU was the consensus #1 team in the land and was rolling, they only got 11k to come out for the first round game on Thanksgiving week. Why would JMU have done more this time? This year's team hasn't been really ballyhooed, and students would still be away on the holiday, meaning at least 8k less fans than normal. JMU would've been lucky to have the place half filled if this year's team was playing EKU at home, so the profits would be severly impinged. And that's why the minimum bid does matter, especially on Thanksgiving weekend - attendance is so spotty on that weekend that the bids mean more. Bourne should've known that. UD has never had more than 14k for a playoff game on that weekend (well, except for the DSU game in '07 but that was a special circumstance) and yet we've never lost in a bidding situation. Heck, even Richmond was able to win a bid against EKU and obviously Richmond has little in terms of potential profitability. Anyway you slice it, JMU lost the hosting rights by vastly underbidding. No shenanigans about it.

Dukie95
November 29th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Oh I get all that, but you're also assuming that JMU would've have tons of revenue potential. But why? In '08, when JMU was the consensus #1 team in the land and was rolling, they only got 11k to come out for the first round game on Thanksgiving week. Why would JMU have done more this time? This year's team hasn't been really ballyhooed, and students would still be away on the holiday, meaning at least 8k less fans than normal. JMU would've been lucky to have the place half filled if this year's team was playing EKU at home, so the profits would be severly impinged. And that's why the minimum bid does matter, especially on Thanksgiving weekend - attendance is so spotty on that weekend that the bids mean more. Bourne should've known that. UD has never had more than 14k for a playoff game on that weekend (well, except for the DSU game in '07 but that was a special circumstance) and yet we've never lost in a bidding situation. Heck, even Richmond was able to win a bid against EKU and obviously Richmond has little in terms of potential profitability. Anyway you slice it, JMU lost the hosting rights by vastly underbidding. No shenanigans about it.

Don't know why I'm arguing with you, Mr. "JMU does everything wrong"...but.

I get all that..but still 25k average minus thanksgiving lull is still greater than 7k average minus thanksgiving lull. There is no question, they standed to earn more from JMU than EKU...EKU bid enough to make up for that obvious discrepancy. I would wager they bid enough to win against more than just JMU, UD included.

Well, we shall see...Mike Barber has a FOIA request out for EKU's bid. I will guarantee you they didn't bid the same amount they did when they played UR.

Dukie95
November 29th, 2011, 12:17 PM
JMU's bid may have been low..hard to know for sure unless we know what's typical across the board. What did ASU bid..what did UD bid? I don't think anyone knows.

My point is, they didn't lose this one because of a low bid, they lost it because someone else went crazy high.

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 12:17 PM
JMU's bid may have been low..hard to know for sure unless we know what's typical. My point is, they didn't lose this one because of a low bid, they lost it because someone else went crazy high.

Didnt jmu bid under 50k?

I think NDSU bid about 100k last year for that same round.

Dukie95
November 29th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Didnt jmu bid under 50k?

I think NDSU bid about 100k last year.

You "think"?

We all pretend to know what a normal bid is, but the only bids I've heard publicly stated is JMU ($47k), ODU ($50k) and Norfolk State ($0).

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Don't know why I'm arguing with you, Mr. "JMU does everything wrong"...but.

I get all that..but still 25k average minus thanksgiving lull is still greater than 7k average minus thanksgiving lull. There is no question, they standed to earn more from JMU than EKU...EKU bid enough to make up for that obvious discrepancy. I would wager they bid enough to win against more than just JMU, UD included.

Well, we shall see...Mike Barber has a FOIA request out for EKU's bid. I will guarantee you they didn't bid the same amount they did when they played UR.

Now who's guessing? It's not like JMU hasn't been outbid before - Lehigh wasn't a seed in '04 yet JMU lost a bid to them then (heck, even Towson was able to outbid Lehigh). Track records say a lot in this - JMU has struggled to get home games and has been beaten out for bids by programs with far less resources than they have. The UD's and Appy's and Montana's of the world, never have.

Dukie95
November 29th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Fair points. Despite that poor track record, I still think this is a unique case, especially now that we see the OVC pitched in.

Hopefully that FOIA request comes back soon.

Dukie95
November 29th, 2011, 12:36 PM
To be clear, I'm not *****ing about missing the home game. I'm more standing up for our AD who I feel has been tossed under the bus by all (even JMU fans), when we don't even have all the information in front of us. It's a secret bid process. What if their bid was 200k? Are we really supposed to get angry at our AD because he didn't bid THAT high?

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Fair points. Despite that poor track record, I still think this is a unique case, especially now that we see the OVC pitched in.

Hopefully that FOIA request comes back soon.

The OVC has pitched in before, it's not like this was a first time thing. It actually worked this time, that was the difference.

Dukie95
November 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Maybe it worked because they bid an obscene number for once?

Do you agree with my statement before that it's not only about the bid, that they also weigh potential revenue? If so, surely you must see that they must have had a tremendous bid to make up for a stadium averaging 25k (even given the down attendance on Thanksgiving).

If it's just about a bid and bid alone, then you can blame our AD, because 47k seems low for a school with such a large stadium.
If it's about the bid BUT ALSO revenue potential, then it's about the other guy going all in, even if they take a loss.

ngineer
November 29th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Why not? It actually raises suspicion,now, as to Towson outbidding Lehigh for the home field, considering Lehigh hosted JMU in 2004. Jus' sayin'...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2011, 12:58 PM
You guys are missing the bigger question. Did the OVC's "stimulus package" have any bearing on the selection of EKU as the final team as well?

Dukie95
November 29th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Why would they have suspected they'd have two teams in?

The bids were due before EKU lost to Tennessee Tech. So, the OVC probably bet on EKU to win their conference and TTech was on their own. EKU ended up losing that game, so they may have thought this stimulus would never see the light of day.

EDIT: Nevermind..I thought TTech played on the road.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 29th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Nice ROI for EKU.............NOT.

Go Dukes

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Do you agree with my statement before that it's not only about the bid, that they also weigh potential revenue? If so, surely you must see that they must have had a tremendous bid to make up for a stadium averaging 25k (even given the down attendance on Thanksgiving).

If it's just about a bid and bid alone, then you can blame our AD, because 47k seems low for a school with such a large stadium.
If it's about the bid BUT ALSO revenue potential, then it's about the other guy going all in, even if they take a loss.

Doesn't matter what your stadium averaged during the year, the committee looks at past playoff attendances as a gauge. Heck, your own AD based his bid on 12k in attendance, right? Once you know your likely attendance, then you make your minimum bid accordingly. $40k is ridiculously low for a 12k anticipated attendance. And for Thanksgiving games, of course the NCAA is going to look at minimum bids more so than revenue potential because it's common knowledge that attendance is low on that weekend - heck, they added a week to the playoffs partly to get most of the games off of that weekend. If JMU's revenue potential was so secure, and believe me, I think getting 11k-12k in there should've been very doable, then bid something close to what that gives you. If you're only making $47k on 12k in attendance then there are other problems.

And again, Lehigh beat you for a bid before, I think with the same AD. I just don't think Bourne understands how this works.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2011, 01:11 PM
And again, Lehigh beat you for a bid before, I think with the same AD. I just don't think Bourne understands how this works.

And could, potentially, again.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM
You guys are missing the bigger question. Did the OVC's "stimulus package" have any bearing on the selection of EKU as the final team as well?

Eh, the committee has picked two OVC teams plenty of times, and the second team has almost always been undeserving. They didn't need gobs of money before to make a bad pick like this. Illinois St was the only real other team with a shot to get in and they didn't play an FBS team and they lost to an OVC team already this year. I can't get too upset about EKU getting in over Ill St.

Dukie95
November 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM
It will certainly be interesting...JMU's bids for all rounds are now public. JMU fans are feeling confident that the bids for round three will be good enough against Towson or Lehigh.

I don't know how they know that's a good bid any more than anyone knows that a 47k bid is too low.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 01:17 PM
And could, potentially, again.

If Bourne is truly unable to grasp the bid process, in the unlikely event both Lehigh and JMU win, then yes, Lehigh could host JMU again. However, he would have the advantage of having a non-Thanksgiving weekend to bid on and then the stadium and the ability to fill it, especially with 8k students, comes into play. You would have to imagine that even Bourne couldn't mess that one up. With that said, I'm not convinced JMU would win out in a bid over Towson.

JMU2004
November 29th, 2011, 01:21 PM
It will certainly be interesting...JMU's bids for all rounds are now public. JMU fans are feeling confident that the bids for round three will be good enough against Towson or Lehigh.

I don't know how they know that's a good bid any more than anyone knows that a 47k bid is too low.

we already know JMU outbid Towson for the 3rd round. JMU bid 100k, Towson bid 60k.

No idea what Lehigh put up.

BisonBacker
November 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM
OVC almost always ends up on the road, and seeing how the home team wins about 65-70% of the games, why not do, as a conference, what would increase the chance to play on. I would be surprised if the EKU was the only assurance the OVC provided. Probably had TN Tech covered, as well as Jax St.

Wonder if IL St./ YSU/ In St. had some assistance promised by MVFC if made it. I could see IL St, Ind St, getting assistance as they are members on both sides of the MVC. YSU, being in the Horizon, may not get the support.

I think this is going to set a trend. Conference commissioners will be talking about this with the AD's and presidents if they haven't already. Another cost associated with playoff football and the NCAA won't have a problem with it as it just brings in more $$$$
Where its going to show are the power conferences who get in multiple teams. They will have to split up the funds set aside by the conferences thereby weakening member schools to get the homefield advantage so conferences like the OVC or Patriot would have a better chance of getting a home game. It's all about the $$$$$ xoopsx

jmu_duke07
November 29th, 2011, 01:26 PM
we already know JMU outbid Towson for the 3rd round. JMU bid 100k, Towson bid 60k.

No idea what Lehigh put up.

I thought I read that Lehigh didn't bid anything... Any Lehigh fans please correct me if I'm wrong.

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 01:32 PM
You "think"?

We all pretend to know what a normal bid is, but the only bids I've heard publicly stated is JMU ($47k), ODU ($50k) and Norfolk State ($0).

It was in the newspaper a year ago. Therefore I "think" because I dont have the source handy. JMU has proved they are not good at research, so I understand if you wouldn't have said "think" in that situation.

It varies greatly, one article says we have struggled with your running qb style of offense, completely disregarding the fact that marquise gray and terrell rennie are better versions of Thorpe. Our record being posted 9-2. Claming YSU is in the OVC, etc etc etc. All in just a few days lol.

Not that our bid last year mattered anyway, even with only 12,000 at the fargodome 75% of the gate was well over 200k.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Regardless of how you almost all seem to believe that it is a GOOD thing:

NOT good for FCS to have one televised game with a little over 2,300 fans in attendance.
Looks worse than Division 2 and 3. xxmasx

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 02:01 PM
The first round isn't typically broadcasted on national tv. I don't see how that would be an issue typically.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Really? xlolx

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM
LFN, it probably did. You should start dipping into your endowment so you can host playoff games. xtwocentsx

Mr. C
November 29th, 2011, 02:17 PM
ABSOLUTELY NOT! The bids are NOT opened until the teams are placed in brackets. It is only at this point that the numbers become relevant. You need to forget about all of the conspiracy stuff. That is why the bids are not opened early.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Regardless of how you almost all seem to believe that it is a GOOD thing:

NOT good for FCS to have one televised game with a little over 2,300 fans in attendance.
Looks worse than Division 2 and 3. xxmasx

Doesn't matter - FCS football is never ever going to matter for much in terms of national appreciation. Doesn't matter if we show a full house or not. The general public only cares about FBS football - always has and always will. For me, it doesn't impact my appreciation of football at this level - I honestly don't care how many people are watching the same thing I am.

Eagle22
November 29th, 2011, 02:20 PM

That was my first reaction, but I don't remember at which point the bids are opened. Probably after selection.

I can remember in 2005, when Eastern Illinois got a home game and GSU got sent on the road to Texas State. At the time, it seemed kind of questionable (although admittedly EIU was the OVC champ and we were an at-large) .... and many GSU fans were up in arms over not having a home game. I am not sure how much $$$ we bid that year, but if the OVC has been doing this for a period of time, and it is just now coming to light, that would be an interesting tidbit of information. Since EIU was the only OVC team in that year, maybe they didn't do it then.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM
ABSOLUTELY NOT! The bids are NOT opened until the teams are placed in brackets. It is only at this point that the numbers become relevant. You need to forget about all of the conspiracy stuff. That is why the bids are not opened early.

You evidently don't find it curious at all that the OVC 1) got an unranked team into the field, and also 2) pumped up the home bids of their two potential home teams in the playoffs, and 3) also - coincidentally? - got the game broadcasted on ESPNU? I don't think it takes too much sleuthing or channeling of Oliver Stone to think something strange is going on here.

alvinkayak6
November 29th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Well, there is no doubt now that the conferences care about raising their national profile in the FCS. The OVC even does a media day, while the SOCON I believe just does teleconference.

alvinkayak6
November 29th, 2011, 02:44 PM
You evidently don't find it curious at all that the OVC 1) got an unranked team into the field, and also 2) pumped up the home bids of their two potential home teams in the playoffs, and 3) also - coincidentally? - got the game broadcasted on ESPNU? I don't think it takes too much sleuthing or channeling of Oliver Stone to think something strange is going on here.

Just solid marketing. There is worse going on.....I'm sure....

URMite
November 29th, 2011, 02:46 PM

I'm confused I thought the NCAA received either the guarantee OR 75% of the NET revenue from the game. And from the JMU numbers posted so far, I see it this way:
Attendance..NCAA receives
12k.............47k
15k.............81k
17k............116k
19k............141k
25k............228k

So if EKU bid 65k which has been guessed then maybe the NCAA decided it wasn't worth the risk of JMU attendance being >13.3k (ie $65k)

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM
It was in the newspaper a year ago. Therefore I "think" because I dont have the source handy. JMU has proved they are not good at research, so I understand if you wouldn't have said "think" in that situation.

It varies greatly, one article says we have struggled with your running qb style of offense, completely disregarding the fact that marquise gray and terrell rennie are better versions of Thorpe. Our record being posted 9-2. Claming YSU is in the OVC, etc etc etc. All in just a few days lol.

Not that our bid last year mattered anyway, even with only 12,000 at the fargodome 75% of the gate was well over 200k.

Not trying to step on toes, but perhaps in the future then you could explain in your original post that you read that in a newspaper instead of just spouting off a number about a process that is already as clear as mud. Generalizing the JMU fan base of poor research just smacks of ignorance. The same could easily be said of any other team's fans that made the playoffs. I won't even touch on how you managed to insert the JMU vs NDSU debate..........that will be settled on the field this weekend xnodx

It will be interesting to see how much money was contributed to EKU, if for no other reason than future AD's will need to somehow figure out how to account for this during the bidding process of future playoffs. I'm sure the NCAA won't mind the extra coin in their pockets.

URMite
November 29th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Doesn't matter what your stadium averaged during the year, the committee looks at past playoff attendances as a gauge. Heck, your own AD based his bid on 12k in attendance, right? Once you know your likely attendance, then you make your minimum bid accordingly. $40k is ridiculously low for a 12k anticipated attendance. And for Thanksgiving games, of course the NCAA is going to look at minimum bids more so than revenue potential because it's common knowledge that attendance is low on that weekend - heck, they added a week to the playoffs partly to get most of the games off of that weekend. If JMU's revenue potential was so secure, and believe me, I think getting 11k-12k in there should've been very doable, then bid something close to what that gives you. If you're only making $47k on 12k in attendance then there are other problems.

The bolded part might be the problem. The numbers thrown around the internet seem to indicate JMU spends $6.45 per seat each game whether it is occupied or not. That seems high to me, not that I would have much insight.

ysubigred
November 29th, 2011, 02:51 PM
The first round isn't typically broadcasted on national tv. I don't see how that would be an issue typically.

It used to be. They would pick a game of most interest to televise nationally. Example below the 94 YSU NC run had Steve McNair and his hype playing on the road in Y-town 1st round. Then all the NC games were played on CBS until 97ish?? When we were 1AA I feel there was more national exposure. Since the change to 1FCS I don't know what happend or what made the difference for intrest and/or exposure?

1994 (14-0-1) • Jim Tressel

National Champions

9/1 Stephen F. Austin T, 10-10
9/10 at Delaware State W, 26-3
9/17 Eastern Kentucky W, 13-6
9/24 Slippery Rock W, 52-17
10/1 McNeese State W, 28-8
10/8 North Alabama+ W, 17-14
10/15 Kent W, 28-14
10/29 Akron W, 41-7
11/5 at SUNY-Buffalo W, 27-3
11/12 at Massachusetts W, 28-9
11/19 at Indiana State W, 14-3
11/25 Alcorn State% (ESPN) W, 63-20
12/3 Eastern Kentucky% W, 18-15
12/10 Montana% W, 28-9
12/17 vs. Boise State% (CBS) W, 28-14 (I-AA National Championship)
%NCAA Division I-AA Playoff Game

Mr. C
November 29th, 2011, 02:55 PM

It isn't curious at all. If you know the process that the committee uses for these decisions and you know how they have done things over the years, you understand how they came to their decisions this year. EKU getting in the field isn't any more strange than Lafayette getting into the field when it upset Lehigh in the final minute of the 2005 season. Lafayette got in ahead of a Youngstown State team that was ranked far ahead of the Leopards. If you have evidence of a conspiracy, shows us your hand.

Mr. C
November 29th, 2011, 02:59 PM
It used to be. They would pick a game of most interest to televise nationally. Example below the 94 YSU NC run had Steve McNair and his hype playing on the road in Y-town 1st round. Then all the NC games were played on CBS until 97ish?? When we were 1AA I feel there was more national exposure. Since the change to 1FCS I don't know what happend or what made the difference for intrest and/or exposure?

National Champions

10/15 Kent W, 28-14
10/29 Akron W, 41-7
12/10 Montana% W, 28-9
You are right about the way TV games have been selected in the past (I can't remember the last year a first-round game wasn't shown, by the way). You are wrong about exposure. There has been much more of a television presence in recent years. Most years before 2002, NO semifinals were televised and in 2002 and 2003, both semifinals were televised regionally, before the move to Friday night-Saturday semifinals. Half the country got Delaware-Wofford and half the country got Colgate-Florida Atlantic in 2003. It was the same with Georgia Southern-Western Kentucky and McNeese State-Villanova in 2002.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 29th, 2011, 03:01 PM

National Champions

10/15 Kent W, 28-14
10/29 Akron W, 41-7
12/10 Montana% W, 28-9

Also don't forget, just as recent as 2006, when #6 JMU was sent to #4 Youngstown. You had two sides of the fence. One claiming regionalization and the other claiming it was done for an ESPN TV marquee match up for the first round.

UNH Fanboi
November 29th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'm confused I thought the NCAA received either the guarantee OR 75% of the NET revenue from the game. And from the JMU numbers posted so far, I see it this way:
Attendance..NCAA receives
12k.............47k
15k.............81k
17k............116k
19k............141k
25k............228k

So if EKU bid 65k which has been guessed then maybe the NCAA decided it wasn't worth the risk of JMU attendance being >13.3k (ie $65k)

They receive the greater of 75% or the bid. JMU either has incredibly high operating costs for Bridgeforth or their AD is clueless.

ysubigred
November 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Also don't forget, just as recent as 2006, when #6 JMU was sent to #4 Youngstown. You had two sides of the fence. One claiming regionalization and the other claiming it was done for an ESPN TV marquee match up for the first round.

Very true. ^^

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 03:08 PM
You are right about the way TV games have been selected in the past (I can't remember the last year a first-round game wasn't shown, by the way). You are wrong about exposure. There has been much more of a television presence in recent years. Most years before 2002, NO semifinals were televised and in 2002 and 2003, both semifinals were televised regionally, before the move to Friday night-Saturday semifinals. Half the country got Delaware-Wofford and half the country got Colgate-Florida Atlantic in 2003. It was the same with Georgia Southern-Western Kentucky and McNeese State-Villanova in 2002.

How about 2010?

ysubigred
November 29th, 2011, 03:10 PM

I don't know how wrong I am but It seems to me since ESPN cornered the 1FCS market our division seems less "exposed". Hell you used to catch a game on Fox sports, CBS etc.. Now we have to hook up to the internet and watch ESPN3???!! And ESPNU isn't in all the cable service providers lineups.

ekufbfan
November 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Are you people just dense or do you just love an argument.
There is not reason not to have two OVC teams in as opposed to 5 or 6 from other conferences.
Comparing EKU vs Ill. State (which has been done on here ad naseum), EKU deserved the bid.
There is NO consiperacy going on here or "shady" dealsl (EKU does not have that kind of clout, I wish we did)
If the OVC "helped" EKU with the bid they"helped" TTU also.
EKU outbid JMU (that is a fact that has been established by JMU officials)
Maybe the ESPN officials decided that the EKU-JMU game was the best one to broadcast
The attendance was awful I am not happy with it, and I am disappointed with Richmond and EKU alumni
EKU has been in the playoffs 20 times and have been in situations where we thought we got an unfair deal, but you deal with it

Cocky
November 29th, 2011, 03:26 PM

4) ESPN gave the OVC the money to up the bid because of their hate for MVC, ISU and FCS

Cocky
November 29th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Does this mean we will be listed as the most powerful conference in FCS now? We have control over the FCS, ESPN and the NCAA and next year we get 5 bids.

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Does this mean we will be listed as the most powerful conference in FCS now? We have control over the FCS, ESPN and the NCAA and next year we get 5 bids.

Why lowball, the entire OVC gets into the playoffs.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 29th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Why lowball, the entire OVC gets into the playoffs.

Let 'em play each other, they might get a win.

URMite
November 29th, 2011, 04:06 PM
They receive the greater of 75% or the bid. JMU either has incredibly high operating costs for Bridgeforth or their AD is clueless.

That is what I meant to say > of 75% Net or the bid. Some are still saying it is 75% of Gross plus the bid.

If it were the latter then being outbid by someone with substantially less attendance would be incredibly difficult. As it is, being outbid is not that unbelievable.

JMUDukes20
November 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Why is this so hard?
JMU bid=EKU bid(we can fight over JMU low bidding all day)
JMU bid < EKU +OVC $ bid

Long story short, JMU(or UCA, or whoever) would have had to outbid OVC team+OVC$ bid. Anybody would have had to outbid the school + conference$.

If two OVC teams match up, then
OVC team 1 bid >OVC team 2 bid
Then
OVC team 1 bid +OVC $ is still > OVC team 2 bid +OVC $
This has no impact on the winner of bid, just how much NCAA gets.

There is no favoritism and the conference gets to throw money into hosting games.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2011, 05:05 PM
That was my first reaction, but I don't remember at which point the bids are opened. Probably after selection.

I can remember in 2005, when Eastern Illinois got a home game and GSU got sent on the road to Texas State. At the time, it seemed kind of questionable (although admittedly EIU was the OVC champ and we were an at-large) .... and many GSU fans were up in arms over not having a home game. I am not sure how much $$$ we bid that year, but if the OVC has been doing this for a period of time, and it is just now coming to light, that would be an interesting tidbit of information. Since EIU was the only OVC team in that year, maybe they didn't do it then.

Texas ST was seeded...

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Continuing to provide some much needed laughter...

MplsBison
November 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM

A terrible, feel bad story just gets worse...

Absolutely terrible, DIII-esque crowd to show off to the national audience and the fact that OVC is now 0-20 in the FCS playoffs (or whatever the record is).

Damnit. Why couldn't JMU have hosted?

Yes, it should be against the rules for the conference to help out in the bid. If for no other reason than to avoid this from happening again.

MplsBison
November 29th, 2011, 05:55 PM

Oh shut up.

You probably apologize for the Iraq war too. Yep, gotta get those WMD's!

kfkolonel
November 29th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Cry, cry, cry. I thought this was a FOOTBALL board.

Put on your big girl panties and get over it. Go JMU!

Dallas Demon
November 29th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I think this is going to set a trend. Conference commissioners will be talking about this with the AD's and presidents if they haven't already. Another cost associated with playoff football and the NCAA won't have a problem with it as it just brings in more $$$$
Where its going to show are the power conferences who get in multiple teams. They will have to split up the funds set aside by the conferences thereby weakening member schools to get the homefield advantage so conferences like the OVC or Patriot would have a better chance of getting a home game. It's all about the $$$$$ xoopsx

A level playing field? That idea needs to be shut down immediately before it really gets out of control. xrolleyesx

Engineer86
November 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
What's wrong with a conference choosing to support a member's playoff bid? I don't get it.

Yea, but where was that Lafayette money for our game this year :D

Mr. C
November 29th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Oh shut up.

You probably apologize for the Iraq war too. Yep, gotta get those WMD's!

I think everyone on this board would like to see YOU be the one that shut up, permanently.

EKU Toss Sweep
November 29th, 2011, 10:36 PM
At what point are these details going to be unveiled to back up the tweet? I won't apologize for the bid, but can someone tell me when all of the conspiracy theories are going to end? Even IF the OVC did underwrite the bids, what would that have to do with ESPN's selection of the game to be televised?

The OVC is not flush with cash according to anything I have ever seen or read. Most think of the OVC as a basketball first conference which includes 2 basketball only members. I can't begin to imagine how Morehead and SIUE are going to agree to this practice of supplementing football bids. As a football fan I love it, but who managed to sell that move to all the "basketball first" OVC members?

Let's have the details.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2011, 10:43 PM
As a football fan I love it, but who managed to sell that move to all the "basketball first" OVC members?

I don't know, but I'm beginning to wonder if your AD could sell ice to Eskimos.

ngineer
November 29th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Yea, but where was that Lafayette money for our game this year :D

Spent on legal fees litigating over their attempt to steal fraternity houses...(;-)

Cleets
November 29th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Doesn't matter - FCS football is never ever going to matter for much in terms of national appreciation. Doesn't matter if we show a full house or not. The general public only cares about FBS football - always has and always will. For me, it doesn't impact my appreciation of football at this level - I honestly don't care how many people are watching the same thing I am.

I just keep agreeing with you
But yeah... We're small potatoes - it doesn't matter if it's 5,000 people or 25,000 in relation to BCS football we are tiny
Us all sitting here arguing about the difference between 2,500 and some other number is meaningless in the eyes of the rest of college football
Our games only matter to us... look around fellas this is it

rufus
November 30th, 2011, 12:38 AM
The fact that the OVC chipped in is interesting, but ultimately irrelevant. JMU's AD submitted a low-ball bid.

It's possible that he expected ODU to get a buy. If that had happened, JMU would have been paired up with Norfolk St., which bid $0. That's the only rational explanation I can imagine. The bid is still inexcusable.

ysubigred
November 30th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I just keep agreeing with you
But yeah... We're small potatoes - it doesn't matter if it's 5,000 people or 25,000 in relation to BCS football we are tiny
Us all sitting here arguing about the difference between 2,500 and some other number is meaningless in the eyes of the rest of college football
Our games only matter to us... look around fellas this is it

Cleets you are a Genius!! Plus I agree 100% with what you said ^^ LOL!!

There is 10 division 1 football schools in Ohio. Sadly, YSU out draws (butts in seats not what the NCAA or web sites report) every Division 1 school in Ohio except; The Ohio State, U of Cincy and Toledo. YSU and Dayton hold our own with fans but again we are small beans and no one know who the f%&@ we are except for the 1FCS community. If the NCAA was doing what was supposed to happen with attendance we would have 5 new 1 FCS members in Ohio alone xtroublex

GannonFan
December 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Per the tweet from Mike Barber, it would appear that EKU put in a bid of $63,318.75 for the game. So apparently EKU, even with added money from the OVC, didn't put in a bid of any real consequence. Bottom line - JMU lowballed the bid.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2011, 03:25 PM
Per the tweet from Mike Barber, it would appear that EKU put in a bid of $63,318.75 for the game. So apparently EKU, even with added money from the OVC, didn't put in a bid of any real consequence. Bottom line - JMU lowballed the bid.

Agreed. xthumbsupx

EKU Toss Sweep
December 1st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Did I miss a 2nd tweet somewhere? Do we have confirmation that the OVC supplemented the bid of $63k, or was that all just speculation and more unfermented grapes about not getting the home game? I know there are some people that don't like to let facts get in the way, but I don't think Mike Barber to be one of those.

Dukie95
December 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM
So, I was wrong...guess the NCAA isn't the money grubbing organization well make them out to be. They had to have known they standed to make more money at Bridgeforth, despite the lower bid.

In addition, I was wrong by giving our admin the benefit of the doubt until we had that figure...i was really thinking the EKU bid was so high that any school would have fallen victim to their crazy-high bid.

Also, imo, that is not significantly higher as the Montana AD had described it.
Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

nmatsen
December 1st, 2011, 08:08 PM
I dont like it, but it would help the havenots rather than divide them from the haves. It enables them to win playoff bids against schools like, JMU, or an App, or GSU. It was actually a smart move for the conference, especially if they can aid every OVC team. If not, it could fracture the hell out of the conference. The NCAA likely wont care where the $ comes from as long as it goes right into their pockets.

It harms the FCS as a whole, because now we'll be fighting to have also rans with 2000 in attendence broadcast on national television. Unfair or not, having the JMU/ASU/GSU/UNI/MU home playoff games adds to the credibility of the division, especially when TV is concerned. Market and perception is everything.

I have had thoughts about this for years when it comes to "perception." My experiences with stadiums and how they look on TV are usually based on MVC schools. I hate that when Missouri State has a game televised, or YSU that they show the game from the home side, leaving the casual fan at home to believe we play in high school stadiums. However, if they would film from the visitor side, the crowds and the stadium would actually look "big time."

Grizzlies82
December 1st, 2011, 10:04 PM
I really don't see any controversy in a conference helping a school boost its bid. It may become a problem someday but it is not one at present. None of the conferences have excess revenue to guarantee their teams get all the games.

I also don't see how a school tosses out a low ball bid if they have any real interest in hosting, and have even a marginal fan base. It just does not require that much of a financial guarantee to exceed the numbers actually bid...

NCAA price $25 per ticket X 3,000 fans = $75,000 revenue.

That is revenue for only 3,000 tickets sold. Is there even 20% of the FCA schools who can't muster 4,000 or 5,000 fans for a playoff game to break even on getting a home game? It would be both a home game, and a financial winner, for schools that turn out 10,000 or more. I really have to wonder what the JMU AD was thinking to miss out on this.

Squealofthepig
December 1st, 2011, 10:14 PM
I really have to wonder what the JMU AD was thinking to miss out on this.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think ultimately that is the most important question from this thread. I have no issue with a conference trying to help one of its teams get a home game and much-needed exposure. But, there's no reason why the third-highest team, by attendance, in the FCS is on the road in the first round. If JMU can run the table and keep winning on the road, maybe all will be forgiven, but it's hard to not question what impact some home games would have had for the Harrisonburg community and the JMU program broadly.

Redhawk2010
December 1st, 2011, 10:35 PM
However, if they would film from the visitor side, the crowds and the stadium would actually look "big time."

I understand what you're saying and not saying that I disagree but think about this...

Look at the logo on the field. If you think about it, the big logo is often facing the home fans. They'd be upset if the logo faced away from them. But then if you're going to be on TV, you'd want that logo to actually show on TV. If you keep the big logo facing the home fans and then film from the visitors' side your logo is going to show up on TV upside down..

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 2nd, 2011, 04:30 AM
For those wondering "What was he thinking?"

http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?116564-phone-call-with-bourne-about-bidding-%28info-not-trying-to-re-hash%29

It doesn't have all the answers, but it does provide a lot of insight. There are others in the JMU administration that likely had a hand in this. Still, at the end of the day the AD should be more a leader than a follower to the extent possible. This blunder could potentially haunt him at JMU, especially as we get a new president and the possibility of "moving up" in the next few years.

dgtw
December 2nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
I understand what you're saying and not saying that I disagree but think about this...

Look at the logo on the field. If you think about it, the big logo is often facing the home fans. They'd be upset if the logo faced away from them. But then if you're going to be on TV, you'd want that logo to actually show on TV. If you keep the big logo facing the home fans and then film from the visitors' side your logo is going to show up on TV upside down..

For a TV game, you should probably have everyone sit on the visitor side. Have the team over there as well.

GannonFan
December 2nd, 2011, 11:12 AM
So, I was wrong...guess the NCAA isn't the money grubbing organization well make them out to be. They had to have known they standed to make more money at Bridgeforth, despite the lower bid.

In addition, I was wrong by giving our admin the benefit of the doubt until we had that figure...i was really thinking the EKU bid was so high that any school would have fallen victim to their crazy-high bid.

Also, imo, that is not significantly higher as the Montana AD had described it.
Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

No biggie. I was actually more shocked reading that thread over on the CAA board where a JMU poster had a conversation with Bourne. After hearing that, I withdraw any criticism of him - he's apparently quite restricted in terms of what he's able to do. Other people are pulling the strings there at JMU and for some odd reason they don't want to host playoff games. Very odd.

whitey
December 2nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
It appears Bourne is pretty handcuffed.

WestCoastAggie
December 2nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
No biggie. I was actually more shocked reading that thread over on the CAA board where a JMU poster had a conversation with Bourne. After hearing that, I withdraw any criticism of him - he's apparently quite restricted in terms of what he's able to do. Other people are pulling the strings there at JMU and for some odd reason they don't want to host playoff games. Very odd.

Perhaps the JMU administration doesn't feel that the allure of netting 5 figures for a playoff home game isn't worth the trouble especially since they are not really in need for the cash. From my understanding, JMU is in possession of one of the biggest budgets in all of FCS-Dom and bigger than most Sun Belt and quite a few C-USA teams.

BTW, some think the MEAC should assist its members in their bid processes.

WestCoastAggie
December 2nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
If NSU had help from its conference, we would have seen 30,000 Plus in Dick Price Stadium and NSU would have made a very nice profit.

EKU Toss Sweep
December 2nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Have any details been revealed since the tweet that started this string? Unless I've missed it, nobody has confirmed that the OVC contributed to EKU's bid. When do we see the promised details of this latest conspiracy?

Perhaps we can start another string suggesting a particular school or conference funded their bid through the sale of illegal prescription drugs. Or better yet, maybe we start a string indicating another institution is funding their move to FBS through the sale of child pornography. In light of recent events in the northeast we might be able to get some activity going with that string. We've now reached 11 pages with this string that apparently is not all that controversial, and now appears that it may not be all that accurate.

whitey
December 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Have any details been revealed since the tweet that started this string? Unless I've missed it, nobody has confirmed that the OVC contributed to EKU's bid. When do we see the promised details of this latest conspiracy?

It's not a conspiracy. A legitimate reporter (Mike Barber) from the Harrisonburg Daily News Record (legitimate paper) has reported it as fact on JMU's Rivals site: http://jamesmadison.rivals.com (The DNR and Rivals have a partnership to publish JMU sports content online). You will need a subscription to read the article.

WestCoastAggie
December 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM

Perhaps we can start another string suggesting a particular school or conference funded their bid through the sale of illegal prescription drugs. Or better yet, maybe we start a string indicating another institution is funding their move to FBS through the sale of child pornography. In light of recent events in the northeast we might be able to get some activity going with that string. We've now reached 11 pages with this string that apparently is not all that controversial, and now appears that it may not be all that accurate.
are you able to question your ad about this?

TheRevSFA
December 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
You're right. EKU and the OVC cheated. Let's just cancel the playoffs and give the NC to the team who is going to get it anyways: Chattanooga..

Squealofthepig
December 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
If NSU had help from its conference, we would have seen 30,000 Plus in Dick Price Stadium and NSU would have made a very nice profit.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure they would have DOUBLED their average attendance on a Thanksgiving weekend.

Dukie95
December 2nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Someone else raised an excellent point on the JMU boards that campus was closed, so the cost of opening dorms/dining halls and paying staff (what may have been time and a half holiday pay) wasn't going to come cheap, either.

You could say other schools face the same challenges, but JMU's a true college town and the kids just don't stay when school's not in session.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
Oh, yeah, I'm sure they would have DOUBLED their average attendance on a Thanksgiving weekend.

Look at pictures of that game and tell me that wouldn't have happened. That would have been a sellout wherever it was played.

Squealofthepig
December 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Look at pictures of that game and tell me that wouldn't have happened. That would have been a sellout wherever it was played.

ODU sold out a game, again, and filled their stadium. Norfolk State averaged filling half their stadium. It would have been higher than average, sure, but drawing 12,000 more than their last home game - on Thanksgiving weekend? Sorry, don't see it happening.

Though I will quickly concede it would be more well-attended than most games that weekend. :)

Longhorn
December 2nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I think ultimately that is the most important question from this thread. I have no issue with a conference trying to help one of its teams get a home game and much-needed exposure. But, there's no reason why the third-highest team, by attendance, in the FCS is on the road in the first round. If JMU can run the table and keep winning on the road, maybe all will be forgiven, but it's hard to not question what impact some home games would have had for the Harrisonburg community and the JMU program broadly.

You've got it exactly right...and JMU's AD actions really defy a logical/rational explanation. He just pulled an bone-headed stunt.

bluehenbillk
December 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Montana, AppSt & Delaware never get outbid, much less by a team from a fringe conference. The blame is squarely on JMU for not bidding enough to secure the game. I'd think JMU & its fans would have bigger things on their minds right about now though....

ekufbfan
December 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
What are you folks more pi$$ed about? EKU getting in, EKU getting a home game, the OVC possibly helping with a EKU bid , ESPNU televising the EKU-JMU game or are you just mad at EKU period. The game is over and it's time to drop this thread, surely you are sick of discussing this, I know EKU fans are tired of the "conspiracy" nonsense. Sometimes the stars line up, too bad it did not carry over to the end of the game last Saturday ( our luck ran out or evidently JSU did not get the memo from those "conspiring" with EKU, OVC, playoff committee and ESPN xeyebrowxxeyebrowx).

Longhorn
December 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Montana, AppSt & Delaware never get outbid, much less by a team from a fringe conference. The blame is squarely on JMU for not bidding enough to secure the game. I'd think JMU & its fans would have bigger things on their minds right about now though....

Let's be specific here...the "blame" falls squarely on one man...JMU's AD. No excuses for his blunder. Yet JMU fans aren't ignoring tomorrow's game...far from it. But we aren't on the field playing the game. Those who do play the game, the JMU coaches and players, are very focused. And we'll find out tomorrow if they've got enough game to move on. In the meantime, there's plenty of time to discuss any number of topics...because, as opposed to some UD fans who apparently have difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time, JMU fans find it easy to multi-task.

Longhorn
December 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
What are you folks more pi$$ed about? EKU getting in, EKU getting a home game, the OVC possibly helping with a EKU bid , ESPNU televising the EKU-JMU game or are you just mad at EKU period. The game is over and it's time to drop this thread, surely you are sick of discussing this, I know EKU fans are tired of the "conspiracy" nonsense. Sometimes the stars line up, too bad it did not carry over to the end of the game last Saturday ( our luck ran out or evidently JSU did not get the memo from those "conspiring" with EKU, OVC, playoff committee and ESPN xeyebrowxxeyebrowx).

EKU didn't do anything "wrong"...far from it....and there's nothing to be upset about EKU's or the OVC's actions. It was a shame the game wasn't played before a larger crowd in the bigger stadium for a potential TV audience, but that's was JMU's AD's fault.

PantherRob82
December 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
ODU sold out a game, again, and filled their stadium. Norfolk State averaged filling half their stadium. It would have been higher than average, sure, but drawing 12,000 more than their last home game - on Thanksgiving weekend? Sorry, don't see it happening.

Though I will quickly concede it would be more well-attended than most games that weekend. :)

It would have moved the game across town. Might have be more people than at ODU since ODU hit their capacity. xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 03:54 PM

I'm more pissed about you beating Lehigh in 1979 for the I-AA national championship xlolx

kfkolonel
December 3rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'm more pissed about you beating Lehigh in 1979 for the I-AA national championship xlolx
I'm glad someone remembers that. I even remember 1982!

Bam
December 3rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
I love it more eku talk.

Here is my poem- I was there, drunk as hell, almost won, had some fun, fg made, oh well I got laid! Roy Kidd props was the reason for the bid. Respect your elders *****es!