PDA

View Full Version : How Many CAA teams after Dec 3rd ???

Grizzlies82
November 27th, 2011, 12:58 AM
FIVE
FOUR
THREE
TWO
ONE
NONE

How many CAA teams will still be playing after Saturday's second round?

Mattymc727
November 27th, 2011, 12:58 AM
2, UNH and Towson

fargocyclone
November 27th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Towson.

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Me thinks the CAA will crash land of Saturday - drops 4 of 5

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 27th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Only 1 : Towson

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Only 1 : Towson

Lehigh will surprise you, just ask UNI

whitey
November 27th, 2011, 07:55 AM
My guess is two survive. Can't tell you which two though.

Engineer86
November 27th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Each of them has a tough matchups, but I think there will be some surprisees. Three

Wildcat80
November 27th, 2011, 08:12 AM
2, UNH and Towson

That would be nice! I'm thinking Maine has a good chance too.

Gil Dobie
November 27th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Thinking 3

GannonFan
November 27th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Two at the most - but I think just UNH will be left standing.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I have none in my bracket left, but I voted "1" because I find it hard to believe that collectively there won't be 1 win among them. I just have no idea which game it is most likely to come from. Maybe UNH or Towson, but their defenses leave a lot left to be desired. On the other hand, Maine stands a fighter's chance as does JMU simply from having good defenses. I fear ODU is toast - GSU is just rockin' and rollin' right now as the most dangerous team in the FCS IMO.

Redbird Ray
November 27th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I accidentally voted for 4, but meant to vote for 1 (1 left, 4 out). I think Maine can take App State, and Towson might be able to take Lehigh, but I think everyone else from the CAA is toast after this weekend.

Srdnaty
November 27th, 2011, 10:43 AM
My guess is two survive. Can't tell you which two though.
I completely agree. I can see any of them winning. It think UNH or JMU have the longest odds.

I think UNH got a harder game than Maine somehow. ODU has a tough game, but there's other CAA teams in the playoffs that I'd rather play.

MR. CHICKEN
November 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have none in my bracket left, but I voted "1" because I find it hard to believe that collectively there won't be 1 win among them. I just have no idea which game it is most likely to come from. Maybe UNH or Towson, but their defenses leave a lot left to be desired. On the other hand, Maine stands a fighter's chance as does JMU simply from having good defenses. I fear ODU is toast - GSU is just rockin' and rollin' right now as the most dangerous team in the FCS IMO.

16281.....OWN-LAH TAKES..ONE BAD WEATHERAH SATURDAY.....OVERAH SIX FLAGS....TA WET DUH OINKY.......AN' IGGLES....MIGHT NOT...GETTAH GRIP....;)....BRAWK!

HailSzczur
November 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm going to say 2, that the New England schools will carry us forward. All the CAA matchups this weekend are great though, I can't wait to watch

Southsider
November 27th, 2011, 06:17 PM
One, and I hope it's JMU!xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I think Towson wins and one of the other 4 will score an upset. So two is my guess.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 27th, 2011, 06:27 PM
UNH, Maine, and Towson are the favorites in my mind, but I figure one of those will lose and one of the others will score an upset for a total of 3 moving on.

AppStsGr8
November 27th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Statistically, Maine and App are just about a dead heat - except in attendance where App leads everyone :D. While I hope the KBS crowd / 12th man helps App pull off the win, it is certainly possible for Maine to win this weekend. It all depends on which team shows up for App.

I can't see ODU beating GaSo at Paulson, but that's why they play the games.

URMite
November 27th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Maybe Towson & ODU, anyone who could beat those two could win the championship. Hehe...

melloware13
November 27th, 2011, 09:12 PM

Maybe Towson & ODU, anyone who could beat those two could win the championship. Hehe...

You could say that the only team to beat both of those two this year has already won the State of Delaware FCS Championship.

For the actual question for the thread, I say Towson wins (lots of fun for the scoreboard operator in that one though)

bisonwest
November 27th, 2011, 09:58 PM

Lehigh isn't surprising anybody thanks to The Fan.

Ooops!

Grizzlies82
November 28th, 2011, 06:02 AM
So if ALL five of the CAA teams lose this weekend...

Will the Moderator force all CAA fans to go back and edit all previous posts eliminating any reference to the CAA being a good conference? Only seems fair doesn't it?
:)

GannonFan
November 28th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Will the Moderator force all CAA fans to go back and edit all previous posts eliminating any reference to the CAA being a good conference? Only seems fair doesn't it?

Nah, that would mean all the posts would change where CAA fans have said, almost unanimously, that this is a down year for the CAA. I don't recall any CAA fans predicting a long run by any team this year.

bluehenbillk
November 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM
2: Towson & UNH win

andy7171
November 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Nah, that would mean all the posts would change where Delaware fans have said, almost unanimously, that this is a down year for the CAA. I don't recall any Delaware fans predicting a long run by any team this year.
FIFY

ODUsmitty
November 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Good luck this weekend, Andy.
Rooting for you guys.

GSUhooligan
November 28th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Towson, maaaybe Maine. xprayx

JmuSkinsfan
November 28th, 2011, 09:36 AM
UNH, JMU, Towson, Maine

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 28th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Like any other conference would have a likely chance of winning the majority of games at GaSoU, App State, NDSU and Montana State! xrolleyesx Let's see three of those teams were top five the vast majority of the year and the other has been top ten. Three of them are the toughest venues in FCS to play at and the other requires a cross country trip to play a game at altitude. (And I'd add in cold weather if it was ODU going to Bozeman rather than UNH. Not that it's been very cold at UNH yet this season.)

Cleets
November 28th, 2011, 09:42 AM
That would be nice! I'm thinking Maine has a good chance too.

I think Maine is going to get ambushed in Boone hard...
I would be shocked if that's even a football game by halftime

appfan2008
November 28th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I voted for 2... dont know which 2 just that maine wont be one of them!

GannonFan
November 28th, 2011, 10:25 AM
FIFY

Would love to be proven wrong and have Towson make a long run through this thing. Get er done.

henfan
November 28th, 2011, 10:30 AM

I think a lot of people said or thought that the last time UMaine beat App State at the Rock. From what I've seen, neither ASU nor UMaine are distinctly better than the other.

Football is a funny game. The ball is shaped funny and sometimes it doesn't bounce your way.

UNH Fanboi
November 28th, 2011, 10:38 AM

ASU hasn't ambushed a decent team yet this year.

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Is GSU not a "decent" team? xconfusedx

UNH Fanboi
November 28th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Is GSU not a "decent" team? xconfusedx

Of course they are, but that was a close game. The person that I was responding to used ambush to mean that ASU will have this game won by halftime.

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Of course they are, but that was a close game. The person that I was responding to used ambush to mean that ASU will have this game won by halftime.

Well, it's cleets...talking about football...which makes me wonder why you even bothered responding..:D

Apphole
November 28th, 2011, 11:24 AM
This isn't the same Rock as 2002. I know it's playoffs and it won't be as packed as the regular season, but I fully expect the Maine players to have a little poo poo in their chaps when we take the field.

bleedblue
November 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I smell an upset. I think because some of the normal powerhouse CAA teams are not in the playoffs people think it's a down year. However the Maine team this year would have given any of the CAA teams from last year and a good game and I think that's exactly what App, which BTW is not nearly as good as last year and a mere shadow of it's former AE lead teams, is going to get. Still think App wins being home but I would not be surprised if it's only by 3 or even a Maine win. Even a weaker App team is strong at home. They don't call it the Rock for nothing.

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb... albeit a slim, cracked twig-of-a-limb:

Towson
Maine
JMU

Plus my game to watch - ODU @ Ga Southern... that kid Heinicke could be a surprise.

Boom!

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Yes. And what about SoCon??? They could all go home also... just saying...

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Ever hear of the Ga Southern Eagles???

TwoFeathers
November 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Nah, that would mean all the posts would change where CAA fans have said, almost unanimously, that this is a down year for the CAA. I don't recall any CAA fans predicting a long run by any team this year.

Check that... I call Towson as my dark horse to win it all. But, then again, my opinion rarely matters...

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2011, 11:50 AM

My address is CAA as in homer but I think my bracket has CAA going 0-5 this weekend. It's been a great run but I just dont see a championship type team from the CAA this year. Having said that the favorites such as gata, griz and southern Canada State all can be beaten so who knows whats gonna happen...

UNH72Plus
November 28th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I really don't know why everyone is writing off Stonybrook so easily. They're second in scoring offense (behind only SHSU) and have a decent defense. SHSU finished the regular season as the top scoring offense in the country, but didn't exactly play against a lot of defensive juggernauts (C. Ark #73, Northwestern State #91, Nichols State #108, and Western Illinois #116). Stonybrook played a much harder schedule with 2 FBS teams (including an OT loss to UTEP) and Brown. I'm picking them for the win.

ODU looked pretty tough on Saturday, too. This Kid Heinicke played a great game. I'd also give them a good chance of winning.

Finnally, I'd be remiss not making my homer prediction of UNH knocking off MSU.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I really don't know why everyone is writing off Stonybrook so easily. They're second in scoring offense (behind only SHSU) and have a decent defense. SHSU finished the regular season as the top scoring offense in the country, but didn't exactly play against a lot of defensive juggernauts (C. Ark #73, Northwestern State #91, Nichols State #108, and Western Illinois #116). Stonybrook played a much harder schedule with 2 FBS teams (including an OT loss to UTEP) and Brown. I'm picking them for the win.

ODU looked pretty tough on Saturday, too. This Kid Heinicke played a great game. I'd also give them a good chance of winning.

Finnally, I'd be remiss not making my homer prediction of UNH knocking off MSU.

please report to the SHS vs Stoney game thread, your opinion is needed there

URMite
November 28th, 2011, 01:18 PM
You could say that the only team to beat both of those two this year has already won the State of Delaware FCS Championship.

For the actual question for the thread, I say Towson wins (lots of fun for the scoreboard operator in that one though)

I was just kidding about the fact that not many teams have 2 wins overs teams with 9 Div I regular season wins.

I wasn't kidding about how many teams Ok 2.35
5...5%
4..10%
3..30%
2..35%
1..10%
0..10%

But no idea which teams...

Grizzlies82
November 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Yes. And what about SoCon??? They could all go home also... just saying...

This thread is to pick on the CAA. :)
Yet you're right, each conference could have them all sent home this weekend.

footballer23
November 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I predict Maine and Towson will still be alive.

DJKyR0
November 28th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Towson is probably the only favorite heading into this weekend, and even then mostly because they're at home. I think they'll win and one other CAA team might surprise (hopefuly not JMU :)).

ngineer
November 28th, 2011, 08:07 PM
It would be very strange for the CAA to lay an egg....despite Mr. Chicken's proclivities!BRRAAAWWWK! I've thought since before last weekend that JMU was a darkhorse due to their slow start and various early season problems. Am also thinking their performance at EKU is part of a 'sandbag' strategy as I'm sure the Bison Chips were salivating at what they were watching. Still, I think the Dukes can pull it off. I assume they've been working on their hand signals and silent counts. I also think Maine has a shot. As with JMU, they're going into a 'pit' a la E.A.Poe, but they have shown toughness this year and giving Pitt all they could handle this year can still be used as a motivational factor. The other CAA teams all have a shot at winning, as the ball can take weird bounces at times and someone is bound to get 'lucky' somewhere and get laid like an egg. (;-) Go Lehigh!

Ivytalk
November 29th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I think Towson wins and one of the other 4 will score an upset. So two is my guess.

This.

bleedblue
December 3rd, 2011, 03:54 PM
CAA still the best even in a down year. ODU gave GSU, at home, all it could handle and Maine feels at home at the Rock. UNH doing well across the country at maybe the best team in the playoffs. Towson is also doing well, just scored a TD to tie it up. Roll on CAA!!!

Vilsack
December 3rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
This isn't the same Rock as 2002. I know it's playoffs and it won't be as packed as the regular season, but I fully expect the Maine players to have a little poo poo in their chaps when we take the field.

It certainly wasn't the same Rock. This year's version of the Bears felt even more at home there.

Mattymc727
December 3rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
I was impressed by the level of talent the CAA showed today too. Well done all around

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2011, 05:42 PM
CAA still the best even in a down year. ODU gave GSU, at home, all it could handle and Maine feels at home at the Rock. UNH doing well across the country at maybe the best team in the playoffs. Towson is also doing well, just scored a TD to tie it up. Roll on CAA!!!

Looks like Maine might be the only CAA team that survives this week.

Fear the Bird
December 3rd, 2011, 05:43 PM

huh?

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
huh?

Seriously........the best teams in the playoffs are playing next week in Statesboro, Ga and Missoula, MT

Fear the Bird
December 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Its a shame that either MSU or SHSU will be a semifinalist

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
1? Who said 1? CAA is good when it plays the CAA I guess

Fear the Bird
December 3rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
1? Who said 1? CAA is good when it plays the CAA I guess

Thats a fairly ignorant statement but par for the course for your fan base

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Thats a fairly ignorant statement but par for the course for your fan base

My fan base is too busy still being in the playoffs.

Fear the Bird
December 3rd, 2011, 05:59 PM
My fan base is too busy still being in the playoffs.

Sure are and you better win it all the way you run your damn mouths

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
As a fan of the team who beat a CAA team today, I feel pretty good. Especially since that team thinks they could have run the table this year of their QB didn't like the green so much.

bleedblue
December 3rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
huh?

You don't like Montana St?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Its a shame that either MSU or SHSU will be a semifinalist

Why?

Both teams deserved to be here.

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
Yep, just 1 left. Gotta love all the haters, especially when they all barely escaped upsets by the CAA. All the CAA losses (4) were by a total of what, 20 points to higher ranked teams?

Eagle22
December 3rd, 2011, 09:00 PM
Yep, just 1 left. Gotta love all the haters, especially when they all barely escaped upsets by the CAA. All the CAA losses (4) were by a total of what, 20 points?

They have as much chance at winning now as 5-6 Chattanooga and all their 28-27 point losses.

Big deal.

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
I know for sure there were a bunch of Ga Southern, NDSU, Lehigh and Montana State fans holding their breath until the final seconds. I know I was. All the teams that were supposed to win, did win (minus Apps). Where's the honor in victory?

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
Yep, just 1 left. Gotta love all the haters, especially when they all barely escaped upsets by the CAA. All the CAA losses (4) were by a total of what, 20 points to higher ranked teams?

Last time I checked, moral victories do not advance a team in the tournament.

Squealofthepig
December 3rd, 2011, 09:05 PM

...save for in the minds of those who should be sedated.

And, credit where it's due - I can't recall another day in the round of sixteen that had this many quality teams and quality games - only one real blow-out, and the rest were all very competitive and could have gone either way. It was a good day to be an FCS fan!

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 09:06 PM

Good point. But NDSU better step it up if they expect to win next week, if that's how they play against #17 JMU who shouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Good point. But NDSU better step it up if they expect to win next week, if that's how they play against #17 JMU who shouldn't have even made the playoffs.

A QB with turf toe and 3 of our top 4 WRs out........our Oline dominated JMU's Dline.

We have a good passing game but it is not at full strength....

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 09:12 PM

I'm trying to figure this out. You mean dominate at the line of scrimmage, run at will on the defense and shut down a super athletic quarterback? Hand the team it's only loss with said quarterback? It was a 12 point win, JMU never lead, and were sufficiently handled. All of this happened while missing the #2,#3, and #4 receivers and having an "off game" by one of the best cornerbacks in FCS.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Me thinks the CAA will crash land of Saturday - drops 4 of 5

yea, but you had them dropping all 5 in your pool bracket

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM

and now they might really surprise you

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 09:18 PM

how is was your visit to the ER Cleets?

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
I'm trying to figure this out. You mean dominate at the line of scrimmage, run at will on the defense and shut down a super athletic quarterback? Hand the team it's only loss with said quarterback? It was a 12 point win, JMU never lead, and were sufficiently handled. All of this happened while missing the #2,#3, and #4 receivers and having an "off game" by one of the best cornerbacks in FCS.

I'm assuming you watched the game, right? They won, granted, but it was not in typical dominant fashion. Even you should be able to admit that. Especially against the worst team in the field of 20.

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
how is was your visit to the ER Cleets?

Dude, I came clean
I admitted I was VERY wrong

Squealofthepig
December 3rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Dude, I came clean
I admitted I was VERY wrong

Hey, how can we rub your nose in something unless you're also delusional? Spoilsport. ;)

Cleets
December 3rd, 2011, 09:26 PM
I have a lot of respect for the App State coaching staff...
I was SURE they would have all the answers going into this game

NoDak 4 Ever
December 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
I'm assuming you watched the game, right? They won, granted, but it was not in typical dominant fashion. Even you should be able to admit that. Especially against the worst team in the field of 20.

All the conversation from the JMU folks was about how Thorpe's absence was the reason for their poor record. They outgained them 219 to 83 on the ground which was supposed to be their big game. They got fooled on a wildcat at the end but a game but it was never in doubt.

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Yes, JMU never got the run going. Their offense is horrible, and it has been all year. I agree they should not have been in the playoffs, it should have been Delaware from the CAA.

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
All the conversation from the JMU folks was about how Thorpe's absence was the reason for their poor record. They outgained them 219 to 83 on the ground which was supposed to be their big game. They got fooled on a wildcat at the end but a game but it was never in doubt.

JMU had like 80 garbage yards given in the extreme prevent time at the end of the game too... the stats at the end lie a little bit. (only a little of it was rushing maybe 15 yards it realllllllly inflated their passing yardage)