PDA

View Full Version : CNN:espn's treatment on Rural America..... awewome article...

GrizzlyEdd
November 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-708563?ref=feeds%2Flatest (ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-708563?ref=feeds%2Flatest")

ESPN's treatment on rural America
By unclaimed | Posted 7 hours ago

iReport — Please look into the following story regarding ESPN's monopolization of the FCS National Championship football playoffs. ESPN holds the rights to all of the FCS games and is refusing to either broadcast the early round games or release the rights to local media outlets in the states that have participating programs. They are insisting that people watch the game on ESPN3 (online). Although this is suitable in some areas, Montana is adversely affected by this decision because only a few small ISP providers carry ESPN3 and the vast majority of Montana (which is largely a rural state) will not be able to watch these games (on the internet or at all). Essentially, ESPN is going to BLACK OUT our entire state through this policy. Two of our universities (University of Montana and Montana State University) are ranked in the nation’s Top 10 and vying for the National Championship. Add to the fact, both programs will host a HOME game in our state on Dec. 3 and at this point ONLY the people that have tickets will be able to watch it. In years past, we've always been able to cover the games through our own local broadcasts (and I'm sure in some of those cases we were probably given the rights through larger media outlets like ESPN). However, these games will not be aired. In fact, at this point, our teams would likely have to make the semi-finals and championship to actually see any of their playoff games broadcast. As of the Tuesday announcement of this policy by ESPN, University of Montana fans, Montana State University fans, and Montana's two Senators (Tester and Baucus) and our lone Congressman (Rehberg) have all gone to bat for Montanans to be able to see these games through a change in the policy. So far, ESPN has failed to listen to such pleas. There is an online Facebook petition (with already over 15,000 "signatures" gathered; and growing) started by John Sterrett, as well as another online petition started by myself, Ryan Gage, that has gathered a smaller amount of signatures (but growing) with a lot of pleas by Montanans who have commented in a very civil manner to explain to ESPN how their thinking ESPN3 coverage will suffice just won't cut it in Montana. This is not a small story in our part of the country. The Griz and Cats have the oldest rivalry (111 years running) west of the Mississippi and are TEAMING UP to get their program's games aired. Please look at the links below to see how this story is developing. Without national attention, I'm afraid this story will die and nothing will happen. Why is ESPN allowed to hold the NCAA, UM, MSU, and countless other universities and their fans hostage? Because they paid for it?! We need your help! We need the most trusted name in news to let the people of this country know that yet again a corporation's desires and profits are deemed more important than the good of the nation's people. The Facebook Petition (started by John Sterrett): https://www.facebook.com/events/121290624649284/ The online petition (started by Ryan Gage): http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/espn-please-release-the-rights-to-ummsu-fcs/ The businesses across the country that show University of Montana football games that will be hurt economically (in a time of economic uncertainty) by this decision : http://www.grizalum.org/events/grizcat/satellites.aspx

GridCaptain
November 25th, 2011, 05:43 AM
What a whiny post! If you do not like big business turn off your television and take you and your posse to a game. Perhaps the lack of high speed internet service in missle silo country has you down and out - have no fear as Montana State will not be around long and Montana will be done by December 10.

GaSouthern
November 25th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I do wish ESPN would allow the local stations to broadcast the games!!!

CropDuster
November 25th, 2011, 09:52 AM
PBS > ESPN

Grizcountry420
November 25th, 2011, 11:45 AM
What a whiny post! If you do not like big business turn off your television and take you and your posse to a game. Perhaps the lack of high speed internet service in missle silo country has you down and out - have no fear as Montana State will not be around long and Montana will be done by December 10.

fhuck your dumb!

Trek222
November 25th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Alot of people do have high speed internet, but the problem is that very few providers in Montana provide access to ESPN3. As for going to the game do you not realize how big of a state Montana is? If you live near the eastern border of Montana it is roughly an 8 hour drive to the University of Montana. Bottom line, get your head out of your ***.

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Alot of people do have high speed internet, but the problem is that very few providers in Montana provide access to ESPN3. As for going to the game do you not realize how big of a state Montana is? If you live near the eastern border of Montana it is roughly an 8 hour drive to the University of Montana. Bottom line, get your head out of your ***.

BINGO! xthumbsupx

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2011, 12:02 PM

i would like to extend a heartfelt welcome to our newest ESPN staffer to AGS:D

Cleets
November 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM
i would like to extend a heartfelt welcome to our newest ESPN staffer to AGS:D

That's what I was kinda thinking...
"Does this guy work for ABC Disney or something.."
ESPN gets it's marching orders from pretty high up there so I don't believe ESPN could make this decision to alter their negotiations with regional broadcasters in as short a window as FCS and the NCAA would like
Policy was handed down from Mount Disney - and that's all there is to in

xlolx

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 25th, 2011, 01:30 PM

9+ hours xcoffeex

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Mickey F'n Mouse... i hate that bastard mouse! xtroublex

But really, this sucks for the fans in Montana.

Cleets
November 25th, 2011, 01:36 PM
9+ hours xcoffeex

Yeah, I think it takes 11 hours to drive from the Idaho boarder on I90 to the North Dakota boarder on I90...? (Right..?)
If that's correct (and I think it is)
That's ONE BIG STATE

Mountaineer#96
November 25th, 2011, 01:41 PM

^^^^^This guy works for ESPN.....no doubt.

Lafalumni29
November 25th, 2011, 02:57 PM
This is not even about having high speed service. Im on long island with cablevision as our provider and wewe dont have access to espn 3!!!

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM
are the montana people still whining about this? move to FBS if you want coverage... NDSU will join you!

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I think it takes 11 hours to drive from the Idaho boarder on I90 to the North Dakota boarder on I90...? (Right..?)
That's ONE BIG STATE

What's really crazy is the fact that you can fit 4+ Montanas inside Alaska...xeekx

Grizcountry420
November 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM
What's really crazy is the fact that you can fit 4+ Montanas inside Alaska...xeekx

Thats nuckin futs!

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM
are the montana people still whining about this? move to FBS if you want coverage... NDSU will join you!

Says the douche who hasn't shut up about his boyfriend Bill Fette for damn near a year now. xblahx

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM
bill fette screwed us, thats why

SeattleGriz
November 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM

Not true. I remember living in Phoenix and having my brother, who lived in Great Falls at the time, tell me how he had just gotten cable internet. That was over one year before me. How's that work?

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2011, 03:42 PM

We all know what happened between you, Fette, and JBB that night in Cheney, and no one wants to hear any more about it.

SeattleGriz
November 25th, 2011, 03:46 PM

No, no, no. It was the cowbell.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/wastjer/MoreCowbell-784686.jpg

Grizcountry420
November 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Not true. I remember living in Phoenix and having my brother, who lived in Great Falls at the time, tell me how he had just gotten cable internet. That was over one year before me. How's that work?

If you live in Great Falls, you're able to watch the game because 3rivers is the ISP provider over there.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 25th, 2011, 04:02 PM
That's ONE BIG STATE

Yes

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 25th, 2011, 04:03 PM

But only if shes willing of course.............................xcoffeex

JALMOND
November 25th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I agree, an awful lot of whining from the state of Montana. Griz and Cat fans are getting a little glimpse of what the other seven schools in the Big Sky have to put up with during the season. We get the games shown on TV only when bigger Pac-12 and Mountain West schools let us, and even then, the local cable station may still show Florida Atlantic and Troy. Don't bet on the cable network to show your games, if they do it is a privilege, not a right.

They are both acting like little spoiled brats. Last I checked, both teams still have radio coverage from one edge of the state to the other. It's not like anyone will miss the game (only if they want to).

Sader87
November 25th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Holy Cross@Villanova in the 1st round in 2009 wasn't online (video) anywhere....thought that was pretty bush-league (of whom I forget....NCAA? ESPN? Nova?)

OK, back to discussing how large a state Montana is geographically.

Grizcountry420
November 25th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I agree, an awful lot of whining from the state of Montana. Griz and Cat fans are getting a little glimpse of what the other seven schools in the Big Sky have to put up with during the season. We get the games shown on TV only when bigger Pac-12 and Mountain West schools let us, and even then, the local cable station may still show Florida Atlantic and Troy. Don't bet on the cable network to show your games, if they do it is a privilege, not a right.

They are both acting like little spoiled brats. Last I checked, both teams still have radio coverage from one edge of the state to the other. It's not like anyone will miss the game (only if they want to).

Im sorry that nobody in your area gives a rats @$$ about P-State! You just dont get it..

semobison
November 25th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Consevative play calling and prevent defense lost us that game! Should have never seen overtime!..... Kudos to Montana folks for fighting for the right to see the playoff games on TV! There are a lot of Nodaks who are affected by this too! Bison playoff games have been televised statewide since the 80's!

SeattleGriz
November 25th, 2011, 05:09 PM

We are not asking for something for nothing. People in Montana would be more than willing to pony up for Gameplan, but that is not an option.

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Consevative play calling and prevent defense lost us that game! Should have never seen overtime!..... Kudos to Montana folks for fighting for the right to see the playoff games on TV! There are a lot of Nodaks who are affected by this too! Bison playoff games have been televised statewide since the 80's!

Anyway you could clone yourself and get rid of Bison fans like lakes??

BearIt
November 25th, 2011, 05:52 PM

The big difference between this situation and the rest of the Big Sky is that there are several local television and cable networks that want to show the games. I don't have the numbers, but I bet they have the highest TV rating over any just about any other TV program that is shown on Saturday in Montana.

The best analogy to this situation would be if I(ESPN) went to the store and bought all the beer they had. Then I started opening up each beer and pouring it out on the ground. Then you come to the store to find they are out of beer. You see me in the parking lot with cases of beer just dumping it out.
You say, "Hey can I buy a beer from you. I'll pay you a good price. You clearly have no intention of drinking it and I just spent the day working in the hot sun and would love an ice cold, refreshing beer."
To which I reply, "Go **** yourself!" and continue pouring out all the beer until it's gone except one can. Then I open up the last can and shotgun it right in front of you.
It's a dick move.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 06:36 PM
The big difference between this situation and the rest of the Big Sky is that there are several local television and cable networks that want to show the games. I don't have the numbers, but I bet they have the highest TV rating over any just about any other TV program that is shown on Saturday in Montana.

The best analogy to this situation would be if I(ESPN) went to the store and bought all the beer they had. Then I started opening up each beer and pouring it out on the ground. Then you come to the store to find they are out of beer. You see me in the parking lot with cases of beer just dumping it out.
You say, "Hey can I buy a beer from you. I'll pay you a good price. You clearly have no intention of drinking it and I just spent the day working in the hot sun and would love an ice cold, refreshing beer."
To which I reply, "Go **** yourself!" and continue pouring out all the beer until it's gone except one can. Then I open up the last can and shotgun it right in front of you.
It's a dick move.

But, the store couldn't run out of beer...right? And I believe you would get your *** kicked right there for being a douche..

I see what you are saying though.

BearIt
November 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM
But, the store couldn't run out of beer...right? And I believe you would get your *** kicked right there for being a douche..

I see what you are saying though.

To stay with the analogy. I(ESPN) am a 6'7" 300 lb roid up MMA badass, sum*****. You have no chance of kicking my *** even if I am being a douche.

I'm acutally 6' and a soft 205. You could likely kick my ***. Whether or not I'm a douche is up for debate.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 06:58 PM
To stay with the analogy. I(ESPN) am a 6'7" 300 lb roid up MMA badass, sum*****. You have no chance of kicking my *** even if I am being a douche.

I'm acutally 6' and a soft 205. You could likely kick my ***. Whether or not I'm a douche is up for debate.

hummmmm

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/6/30/362d8c66-5679-400c-ab49-17a935d67762.jpg

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 06:59 PM
hummmmm

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/6/30/362d8c66-5679-400c-ab49-17a935d67762.jpg

EDIT: Whoops. That was a pic of someone else.

BearIt
November 25th, 2011, 07:06 PM
hummmmm

Not quite that soft... or that much of a douche. Plus I'm packin more than .177 cal.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Not quite that soft... or that much of a douche

haha...alright. back to the topic at hand.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2011, 07:47 PM

This would solve one problem Lakes. If we were FBS and playing in the same meaningless **** bowl of mediocrity that NDSU and Montana would be in then I wouldn't care one little bit about if it were televised or not.

It would at least solve this for me.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 07:49 PM
This would solve one problem Lakes. If we were FBS and playing in the same meaningless **** bowl of mediocrity that NDSU and Montana would be in then I wouldn't care one little bit about if it were televised or not.

It would at least solve this for me.

And then we could focus on more important teams like SUU and Montana State.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2011, 07:53 PM
On a good note for you though Lakes I see GridCaptain is willing to step in and challenge you and another poster for the annual AGS "Dullard Crown" so good to see the competition heating up in that category.xthumbsupx

I'm certainly still pulling for ya but you may have to take the bronze medal this go round which is a nice "Dunce Cap Extraordinaire" prize.

GridCaptain
November 25th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Uniformed article... All you have to do to see the games is check out this link http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index If you were truly committed to your team you would go to the game instead of watching it on the tube

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Uniformed article... All you have to do to see the games is check out this link http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index If you were truly committed to your team you would go to the game instead of watching it on the tube

Jumpin' TEBOW'n Jesus you are dumb.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2011, 08:08 PM
See what I mean Lakes? This guy really is pushing for the title!

This is truly a fantastic amount of ignorance.xlolx

GridCaptain
November 25th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I aim to please.

Cleets
November 25th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I kinda like his persistence - It's refreshing - everybody else around here is so mamby pamby with no real opinion
People on this board typically have a hard time expressing their feelings

:D

sgt smash
November 25th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I aim to please.

You! Go dig a hole and jump in it!

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I kinda like his persistence - It's refreshing - everybody else around here is so mamby pamby with no real opinion

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/chiving-friday-6.jpg?w=920&h=690

Jazzman1522
November 25th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Man, this is funny to read. But seriously this sucks for Montana and I don't know why anyone would have a beef with them complaining about it. As an EKU fan, I wish we had a right to complain, but UK is 30 minutes up the road, you've got Louisville in the state, and frankly, there aren't that many people that care about Eastern football. It's a completely different situation in Montana and ESPN's giving them the shaft. I feel like it would be a little more forgivable if ESPN would actually step up and address the issue one way or another instead of pretty much ignoring it with their generic responses that say the same thing and don't address the issue any way whatsoever.

And if you don't want to hear people complaining about it, don't look in the thread that's devoted to people complaining about it.

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM
ursus.. YEA!!!! ME smarts..!!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM
ursus.. YEA!!!! ME smarts..!!

I know lakes, I know.

http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/simple-jack.jpg

I love ya LB.xlolx

eaglesrthe1
November 25th, 2011, 10:48 PM

Hammerhead
November 26th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Not everyone has the ability to drive several hours to get to the game. That's assuming there is no snow or ice on the roads which may not be the case December.

Plus, there are only so many seats in the stadiums.

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 05:07 AM
The only people complaining live in Montana and North Dakota so it's not like this is a widespread national movement. I've been to Fargo, Bozeman, Missoula, Flat Head Lake, it's a great state. It's not personal, it's just business. The problem with these arguments made on this thread is that they ignore the business aspect. ESPN will not make an exception for one area as it sets a precedent. This is not going to change. Fans can watch the games regardless of the cable system they are on by subscribing to the ESPN WATCH protocol. If you are a fan who does not have high speed internet, then yes, you are SOL. Go to a hotel in your area and get a room with HSI and watch it - split the costs amongst a group - you could do the same with a sports bar who would likely foot the bill for the hookup to get this rush of great business. Get creative with your fix and solve your own program. The system is not going to change for you so change your way of being worked.

Southern Bison
December 12th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I aim to please.

I say Gridcaptain and Lakes put their heads together before grid aims to please...remember to aim up, not back.

GrizzlyEdd
December 12th, 2011, 12:39 PM
What a whiny post! If you do not like big business turn off your television and take you and your posse to a game. Perhaps the lack of high speed internet service in missle (sp) silo country has you down and out - have no fear as Montana State will not be around long and Montana will be done by December 10.

Well it is 12/12 and Montana is still around... You sir have shown how much of an idiot you are. You are completely clueless when it comes to the world outside your puny orb of existence. By the way.... there are no missile silos in Western Montana... any person with any knowledge of MT would know that. I hope you respond to this as it will give you another chance to show all AGS what an idiot you are... Have a great day sir....

GrizzlyEdd
December 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM
The only people complaining live in Montana and North Dakota so it's not like this is a widespread national movement. I've been to Fargo, Bozeman, Missoula, Flat Head Lake, it's a great state. It's not personal, it's just business. The problem with these arguments made on this thread is that they ignore the business aspect. ESPN will not make an exception for one area as it sets a precedent. This is not going to change. Fans can watch the games regardless of the cable system they are on by subscribing to the ESPN WATCH protocol. If you are a fan who does not have high speed internet, then yes, you are SOL. Go to a hotel in your area and get a room with HSI and watch it - split the costs amongst a group - you could do the same with a sports bar who would likely foot the bill for the hookup to get this rush of great business. Get creative with your fix and solve your own program. The system is not going to change for you so change your way of being worked.

Funny thing sir... Montana's games are on ESPN and ESPNHD... I would say that it has worked since all FCS games were only to be on ESPN3. I would say that this puny non-national effort (which for your info was national as out effort had signatures from all over the country) has made a difference... Griz/BearCat game on ESPN.... how did that happen.. yep a business decision .... broadcast or you lose business.... see, you are right. Business decisions dictated by the voices of ESPN subscribers and fans...

footballer23
December 12th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I think this article hits on everything that ESPN is trying to do. I really hope the NCAA reconsiders how the rights are distributed next year.

bearkat pride
December 12th, 2011, 06:46 PM
imagine that, more UM whining...
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01238/cheese700_1238272c.jpg

blame your cable company for not providing espn3 not espn

plain and simple

ursus arctos horribilis
December 12th, 2011, 07:29 PM
imagine that, more UM whining...
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01238/cheese700_1238272c.jpg

blame your cable company for not providing espn3 not espn

plain and simple

Nope, we'll do it our way, and get our way. Don't worry about thanking us for the benefits your team receives just consider it the drippings of the Master's table.

You're welcome.xthumbsupx

bearkat pride
December 12th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Nope, we'll do it our way, and get our way. Don't worry about thanking us for the benefits your team receives just consider it the drippings of the Master's table.

You're welcome.xthumbsupx
xcrazyx
cry about it to the wrong person?

i could care less what yall do, my cable company isnt too cheap to pay for a service that its subscribers want.

whats next? are yall going to whine about not getting free hbo? (and ***** about hbo not giving it to you)

im sure your cable company had the same opportunity to get espn3 like mine, it's no ones fault but your own that you support a cable company that wont listen to you.

i cant get the nfl gameplan but you dont see me *****ing to the nfl.

i have no problem with what espn is doing. they own the rights to the game, no ifs, ands or buts about it. if they want to air the game in reverse on espn 8, it well with in their rights. i doubt espn is purposely depriving you all of the games, but they arnt going to give it you for free. it wouldnt be fair to those like me who actually pay for the service...

this is a capitalist country, get used to it.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 12th, 2011, 09:18 PM
xcrazyx

i could care less what yall do, my cable company isnt too cheap to pay for a service that its subscribers want.

whats next? are yall going to whine about not getting free hbo? (and ***** about hbo not giving it to you)

im sure your cable company had the same opportunity to get espn3 like mine, it's no ones fault but your own that you support a cable company that wont listen to you.

i have no problem with what espn is doing. they own the rights to the game, no ifs, ands or buts about it. if they want to air the game in reverse on espn 8, it well with in their rights. i doubt espn is purposely depriving you all of the games, but they arnt going to give it you for free. it wouldnt be fair to those like me who actually pay for the service...

It is a capalist country and we exercised our privilege as Griz fans and got our way...again. Sorry if you look on longingly and wish you were us but you're not. We do look at you with pity though and wish we could do more for you.

You made a lot of standard non sequitur type references in your last post so try and clean up the train of thought in future posts for the benefit of the reader if you could.

Have a good one.xthumbsupx

BearIt
December 12th, 2011, 09:19 PM
xcrazyx

Being a capitalist you should appreciate that Montana took this on. They forced ESPN to honor their contract. Their contract required them to broadcast the game or give up the broadcast rights to someone else. Putting it on the internet is not "broadcasting." ESPN was intentionally violating the contract in an effort to make more money. That's not capitalism, that is theft.

bobcathpdevil56
December 12th, 2011, 09:31 PM
That's ONE BIG STATE

Don't want to bust balls, but you cannot get to the ND border on I-90. Gotta take I-94 at Billings to get to ND. I-90 heads south to Sheridan then over to Spearfish and Rapid City.

bearkat pride
December 12th, 2011, 10:06 PM
It is a capalist country and we exercised our privilege as Griz fans and got our way...again. Sorry if you look on longingly and wish you were us but you're not. We do look at you with pity though and wish we could do more for you.

You made a lot of standard non sequitur type references in your last post so try and clean up the train of thought in future posts for the benefit of the reader if you could.

Have a good one.xthumbsupx
maybe you need to look the definition to non sequitur, because my examples were completely relevant and completely related to the subject. what didnt you understand?

Being a capitalist you should appreciate that Montana took this on. They forced ESPN to honor their contract. Their contract required them to broadcast the game or give up the broadcast rights to someone else. Putting it on the internet is not "broadcasting." ESPN was intentionally violating the contract in an effort to make more money. That's not capitalism, that is theft.

so you can make up your own definition of broadcasting now?

from wiki
Broadcasting is the distribution of audio and video content to a dispersed audience via any audio visual medium.

Broadcast methods include radio (via air, cable, and Internet), television (via air, cable, and Internet), and, especially recently, the Internet generally.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 12th, 2011, 10:48 PM
maybe you need to look the definition to non sequitur, because my examples were completely relevant and completely related to the subject. what didnt you understand?

No, it really wasn't. You started doing some Texas two step about free hbo and so forth and I knew at that point that it was spinning into some area of lunacy that I didn't feel like following you to. If you need any help with that let me know.

so you can make up your own definition of broadcasting now?

from wiki
Broadcasting is the distribution of audio and video content to a dispersed audience via any audio visual medium.

Broadcast methods include radio (via air, cable, and Internet), television (via air, cable, and Internet), and, especially recently, the Internet generally.

And yet we still just say "jump" and people want to know how high and when we expect them to come down. It's good to be a Griz. You did see that we got our way correct?

Good talk Rusty.

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2011, 11:09 PM
ESPN3 is a way for ESPN to butt**** the consumer while making the ISP look like the bad guy. Internet Service Providers should not have to choose content for their consumers. It's similar to a cable provider offering only one package and having to decide whether they want to pay HBO for everyone to get it or decide that no one gets it and listen to their customers who do want it whine and complain. ESPN3 should be a subscription service just like ESPN Insider or Scout and allow only the consumers who want the content to pay for it. Basically what ESPN is trying to pull is to say "We're providing 170,000 live sporting events free!" which is complete and utter horse**** as they are just getting fat off the ISPs instead of the consumer... and guess how the ISP balances out that cost?

Cleets
December 12th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I got two words for this whole thread: Direct TV
Why would you pay one dollar to a Cable Company you're not happy with
other options are available

bkit29
December 12th, 2011, 11:14 PM
9+ hours xcoffeex

My wife has a cousin who lives in eastern montana. Their family are huge grizz fans and go to maybe 2 games a year, it is a 9 hr drive. They were hoping the grizz and bison were on the same side of the bracket. Then it would have only been a 5.5 hr drive to fargo to watch the game.

bkit29
December 12th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I got two words for this whole thread: Direct TV
Why would you pay one dollar to a Cable Company you're not happy with
other options are available

??????????Direct tv doesnt help one bit if the game is on espn3.

Cleets
December 12th, 2011, 11:22 PM
??????????Direct tv doesnt help one bit if the game is on espn3.

Oh... Sorry
I don't actually have a TV so I did not know that
I thought Direct TV had "All the sports channels money could buy"

bkit29
December 12th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Oh... Sorry

that is why north dakota senators got involved last week to pressure espn to move the games to espn gameplan package. which is available on directv.

frozennorth
December 12th, 2011, 11:32 PM
xcrazyx

I don't think the words you used mean what you think they do.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Oh... Sorry

Wow dude. It's kind of the whole point of this thread. You know how prevalent Direct is in Montana I would assume and that we all would have been really OK if we could have gotten it that way right? You are also real, real familiar with how hard I was working to be able to get a way in to ESPN3 and the absolute denial at every turn and had yourself said that they were really locked down and I couldn't get in because of the lacation...I'm at a total loss on what you were even trying to say in that last post since YOU KNOW all of this.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2011, 11:12 AM
ESPN3 is a way for ESPN to butt**** the consumer while making the ISP look like the bad guy. Internet Service Providers should not have to choose content for their consumers. It's similar to a cable provider offering only one package and having to decide whether they want to pay HBO for everyone to get it or decide that no one gets it and listen to their customers who do want it whine and complain. ESPN3 should be a subscription service just like ESPN Insider or Scout and allow only the consumers who want the content to pay for it. Basically what ESPN is trying to pull is to say "We're providing 170,000 live sporting events free!" which is complete and utter horse**** as they are just getting fat off the ISPs instead of the consumer... and guess how the ISP balances out that cost?

BOOM, Chaos reigns.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 13th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I admit, I bought the day of Gameplan for the 2nd rd, got all kinds of great games to watch. loved it. For the qtrs, I couldn't justify watching 1 game for 25 bucks so I listened to the online streaming audio while following with the liveblog. Firstrow picked the feed up in the middle of the 2nd qtr and I was set for the rest of the game.

No substitute for resourcefulness.

Cleets
December 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Wow dude. It's kind of the whole point of this thread. You know how prevalent Direct is in Montana I would assume and that we all would have been really OK if we could have gotten it that way right? You are also real, real familiar with how hard I was working to be able to get a way in to ESPN3 and the absolute denial at every turn and had yourself said that they were really locked down and I couldn't get in because of the lacation...I'm at a total loss on what you were even trying to say in that last post since YOU KNOW all of this.

Actually I don't have any idea about Direct TV in Montana
But just pretend I'm Alphagriz and then all of my posts will be brilliant

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Moderator edit...!!!
Cleets doesn't like URSUS kickin his *** in a public Moderator duel

TheFan was right all along about him.

Cleets
December 13th, 2011, 12:16 PM
http://nightgigjo.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/i-sorree-i-iz-idiot.jpg

Side Judge
December 13th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Moderator edit...!!!
Cleets doesn't like URSUS kickin his *** in a public Moderator duel

TheFan was right all along about him.

You need to amble on over to the "Thunderstruck" thread...

Cleets
December 13th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Awesome..!!!

xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 13th, 2011, 12:44 PM
You need to amble on over to the "Thunderstruck" thread...

Oh jesus, haven't even seen that one.