PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Chris Lum and the Walter Payton Award

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/11/chris-lum-and-walter-payton-award.html

Some football players are their own biggest mouthpiece. But senior QB Chris Lum, Lehigh's classy superstar from Lake Orion, Michigan, is not.

For many people voting on the Walter Payton award, the FCS equivalent of the Heisman Trophy, they look at statistics, and in Lum's case, they are mighty impressive.

But for a star quarterback - who is most assuredly an NFL prospect - the Lake Orion, Michigan native is surprisingly willing to dish credit to others the way he dish completions to his receiving targets.

Wildcat80
November 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Of course I have to give it to Kevin Decker of UNH based on passing efficiency and playing in the CAA.xnodx

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Love to see it but he would have to have a great playoff to distance himself from possible competition

theasushow
November 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Love to see it but he would have to have a great playoff to distance himself from possible competition

If you are referring to creating distance in the Payton voting...the votes are in before the playoffs.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
If you are referring to creating distance in the Payton voting...the votes are in before the playoffs.

Did not know that. Thanks. Does a freshman have a chance at it?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
I am pretty sure no freshman has ever won the award. Multiple juniors have, however (Ricky Santos, Dexter Coakley)

UNHFootballAlum
November 23rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Of course I have to give it to Kevin Decker of UNH based on passing efficiency and playing in the CAA.xnodx

Decker cost himself a shot with 7 TO's in his last 2 games

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
It would be great. Lum is a real class act. The way he brough Lehigh back after being down 38-21 to UNH, to take the lead in the fourth quarter, spoke volumes of his no-quit attitude, which rubs off on those around him.

heath
November 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Thought Bo Levi had a great year but what happened to the rest of the team? His stats are better than Lums but must not be a leader for EWU to finish the way they did. I admit I have not seen him play.......xconfusedx

Block-A
November 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
I am pretty sure no freshman has ever won the award. Multiple juniors have, however (Ricky Santos, Dexter Coakley)

Dexter Coakley was a LB, he won the Buchanan not the Payton award. But, perhaps you remember a guy named Armanti Edwards...

dwtime
November 23rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Dexter Coakley was a LB, he won the Buchanan not the Payton award. But, perhaps you remember a guy named Armanti Edwards...

Coakley was a beast, a damn beast, a short damn beast, great player.

dwtime
November 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
Decker cost himself a shot with 7 TO's in his last 2 games

Yeah Decker shouldn't win it but he has played well for us this year. Not sure about Lum either, excellent QB also though. Is there a clear favorite out there?

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
No clear favorite. I think the voters will be considering the impact the player had on his team's success. There is more to the award than just stats.

Ginsbach
November 24th, 2011, 01:51 AM
yes there is

Lehigh QB Chris Lum is the clear favorite for the Payton Award

Lum has thrown 15 interceptions, which is 3rd most in the FCS. That's something that needs to be considered.

unh4life
November 24th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I would take Decker over Lum. He has only 4 less total td's. Both have over 3500 yards of offense. Decker with higher completion percentage and less int's (although only by 1... 6 picks over last 2 games may kill his chances). He won the head to head matchup over Lum, and the overall competition they faced on a weekly basis cannot even be compared.

Squealofthepig
November 24th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Lum has thrown 15 interceptions, which is 3rd most in the FCS. That's something that needs to be considered.

Ayup. And if you look at the UNH loss - easily the best team that Lehigh faced - he threw three interceptions (and six touchdowns). His numbers are enormous, but when you look at how he compares in quarterback rating with other players, and then factor in the level of competition, he goes from a clear favorite to someone who at least should be in the running, but is by no means a consensus surefire winner. He'd get my vote, as the numbers are just outstanding, but I can easily see how others would vote for others.

Ginsbach
November 24th, 2011, 02:43 AM
he also has thrown for close to 4,000 yards, 31 TD's and completed close to 70% of his passes while playing mostly 3/4's per game and leading his non-scholarship team, Lehigh, to a 10-1 record and a 6th place ranking on both polls at the end of the regular season

Playing in only 3/4 quarters only makes his interception numbers look worse - if we were to assume that his numbers would remain consistent during that last quarter he should have even more interceptions. For a similar QB comparison, Bo Mitchell Levi threw more times and less had turnovers against tougher competition, while also throwing for more TD passes.

Lum has had an impressive season, that's for sure. However, if he continues the trend of throwing interceptions in the playoffs it could be disastrous for his team. A playoff caliber team can turn turnovers into points. I'm interested to see how he does in the post-season.

Ayup. And if you look at the UNH loss - easily the best team that Lehigh faced - he threw three interceptions (and six touchdowns). His numbers are enormous, but when you look at how he compares in quarterback rating with other players, and then factor in the level of competition, he goes from a clear favorite to someone who at least should be in the running, but is by no means a consensus surefire winner. He'd get my vote, as the numbers are just outstanding, but I can easily see how others would vote for others.

I agree with this. He's got great numbers, has had an outstanding season, and should be in the running. Clear favorite, though? Arguments can be made for others.

Ginsbach
November 24th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Passing Yards
3,739 - Lum
3,072 - Decker

TD Passes
31 - Lum
20 - Decker

Interceptions
15 - Lum
14 - Decker

Passing Yards
4,009 - Mitchell
3,739 - Lum

TD Passes
33 - Mitchell
31 - Lum

Interceptions
15 - Lum
13 - Mitchell

Ginsbach
November 24th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Team Record
10-1 - Lum's Lehigh
6-5 - Mitchell's EW

Rankings
6 - Lehigh
NR - EW

The Payton award is for an outstanding player, not team.

Mitchell had no control over the fact that his team gave up 40 TDs on the year. Lehigh's defense only gave up 23.

On the other hand, a QB is directly responsible for his total yards, TDs, and interceptions. You judge a player's ability by how these do in these categories.

I hope this helps.

ngineer
November 24th, 2011, 08:58 AM
It's not a statistical award.

Otherwise, a computer would just spit out the winner.

Wildcat80
November 24th, 2011, 09:54 AM
ok, a QB should get the Payton award because he played in the CAA

Mega Dittos!!! xnodxxnodxxnodx

unh4life
November 26th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Passing Yards
3,739 - Lum
3,072 - Decker

TD Passes
31 - Lum
20 - Decker

Interceptions
15 - Lum
14 - Decker

Ratio of Completions to Interceptions
19.8 - Lum
17.4 - Decker

i am pretty sure the rushing yards and rushing touchdowns get factored in as well.... DUHHHHH

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Decker plays in a real FCS league. Lum's collective competition is akin to playing against Frat Row Flag Footballers from a BCS league. Honestly, his stats are coming against guys who are 70%+ non-scholarship in a league that is collectively rated below... cough... the OVC. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc11.htm I mean look at these numbers - Lehigh's schedule was rated 199 in the nation, and next to last out of the 7 powerhouses that make up the Patriot League. Only Georgetown played a weaker schedule. First round playoff game at the CAA Champion that played the 166th schedule and in a league with 5 total playoff teams = bye bye, enjoy the watch and thanks for stopping by big boy football. Lum will make a fine Sunday morning park QB in Chicago when he is pulling 80 hours a week next year as a first year accountant. Decker will be in the League after his career is done. He is easily the best QB in FCS for 2011.