View Full Version : Florida A&M Band "Benched"

kdinva
November 23rd, 2011, 05:35 AM
Band's drum major died due to hazing by his peers? xsmhx

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2011-11-22/florida-aampm-band-death-investigation-robert-champion/51352034/1?csp=sportswidget

An ongoing "ritual" with this band? Give me a break. xcrazyx

superman7515
November 23rd, 2011, 06:38 AM
Just a sad event on many levels.

Florida A&M Press Conference:
http://www.tallahassee.com/interactive/article/20111122/NEWS/111122004/Replay-Video-FAMU-holds-news-conference-address-drum-major-death

Orlando Sentinel:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/os-famu-hazing-probe-robert-champion-20111122,0,6708845.story

On the same day Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings announced that hazing was involved in the death of a FAMU drum major, the Orlando Sentinel learned that several parents have been complaining for months about verbal and physical abuse within the school's prestigious marching band.

Robert Champion collapsed aboard a parked charter bus in front of the Rosen Plaza hotel Saturday night after the Florida Classic football game in which the Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University and Bethune-Cookman University marching bands performed during halftime.

He was pronounced dead a short time later at Dr. P. Phillips Hospital. The 26-year-old was a first-year drum major poised to become the top student in the band next year.

On Tuesday, the parents of three members of the FAMU "Marching 100" band told the Sentinel that they have implored university officials for months to end the verbal and physical abuse that one parent characterized as "a well-kept secret."

Felicia Fabre, whose son is a sophomore in the band, said she received a text message Saturday night saying a drum major had been killed after a hazing incident.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
OK--let's see how the media does with this in light of the Penn State fiasco. No way band officials did not know that this stuff was going on. When you a 'tradition' like this, the word is out there for anyone with ears.

WileECoyote06
November 23rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Dr. Ammons has fired their long-time band director Dr. Julian White.

Big Dawg
November 23rd, 2011, 05:10 PM
This is a sad situation...and as expected, Florida A&M University Director of Bands Julian E. White has been fired and I wouldn't be surprised if more of the staff is let go...it's time for a change within the band program.

kdinva
November 23rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
I thought all schools were proud of their bands...........not allowing this stuff.

superman7515
November 24th, 2011, 08:02 AM
http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/FAMU-FLORIDA-CIVIL-RIGHTS-ASSOC-1123.pdf

FLORIDA CIVIL RIGHTS ASSOCIATION
PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, November 23, 2011

MEDIA CONTACT
Attorney Kyan Ware, FCRA Spokesman
(407) 272-9254 | [email protected]

CIVIL RIGHTS GROUP CALLS FOR THE TERMINATION OF FAMU PRESIDENT,
THE BANDS DIRECTOR AND THE LEADERS OF THE MARCHING 100
PROGRAM

Hazing, Bullying, and Discriminatory Harassment is creating life and death environment in our education systems nationwide

ORLANDO, FLORIDA. - The Florida Civil Rights Association calls on Florida Governor Rick Scott and The Florida A&M University Board of Trustees to immediately terminate Florida A&M President Dr. James Ammons, FAMU Director of bands, Dr. Julian White, Dr. White’s assistants Dr. Shelby Chapman, Robert Griffin, Dr. Shaylor James, and the entire current leadership of The Florida A& M University Marching 100 program.

There must be zero tolerance for hazing, bullying, and discriminatory harassment against a student at every level in our education systems, especially HBCU, said J Willie David, III, President of the Florida Civil Rights Association. The good old days of providing a sanctuary to leaders when bad things goes seriously wrong in our education system is over. We must hold the responsible parties accountable, including arrests and criminal prosecution.

The recent death of the late Florida A&M Drum Major Robert Champion is confirmation of a culture of hazing that the current president and marching band leadership permitted. The current administration within the University and in the Florida A&M Marching 100 has created a culture of corruption that tacitly approves of the persistent and deadly hazing that occurs within the Marching 100 and Florida A&M University.

According to Sharon Saunders of Florida A&M University several people have made complaints about being hazed while at the university.

Moreover, the cable program “Real Sports with Bryant Gumble” in 2010 highlighted the problems of hazing within the HBCU bands. Therefore, for President Ammons to call for an inquiry to determine whether there is in fact a culture of hazing within the marching 100 program, shows that not only is he out of touch with the realty at Florida A&M but that there is no institutional control over the marching band program, David said.

The Florida Civil Rights Association believes that the leadership within the University had to know that hazing within the FAMU’s Marching 100 was more than sporadic. Even if there was no culture of hazing, the fact that the students may have been comfortable with engaging in such behavior reveals that there was no fear to haze, as revealed by a 2004 lawsuit in which a hazed student sued the university and received an award of over one-millions dollars, stated David.

The Florida A&M administration and the current marching band leadership cannot be given the benefit of the doubt in an instance wherein someone has died. It appears that Florida A&M Officials have acted no differently than the administrators and football coaching staff at Penn State University. Both groups of people have known that felonious acted have been allegedly committed but their responses to the allegations hid and enabled further acts of disgusting lawlessness, David added.

The administration failed to protect Robert Champion, thereby denying him his civil rights while participating within the marching band program. By not enforcing an effective anti-hazing policy that severely punishes those whose engaged in the torturous practice of hazing is not only allow it to continue but encourages it as a sadistic right of passage for membership in the marching 100.

Because current FAMU President James Ammons and the leadership of the Florida A&M music department have failed to insure that the Marching 100 upholds its motto, not only must the requested terminations occur but the Marching 100 must be prohibited from any activities for all of 2012, including any post season football.

The Florida Civil Rights Association believes that a virtual one year “death penalty” for the Marching program would send the right message to all Colleges and Universities that at least one institution protects the lives of its students.

In October, the Florida Civil Rights Association launched a campaign against School Bus Bullying at Orange and Seminole County Public School Districts. No student or parent should ever feel helpless because an educator failed to act on a complaint of hazing, bullying or harassment in a timely manner.

ABOUT THE FCRA
The Florida Civil Rights Association (FCRA) is a non-profit, non-partisan, organization based in Orlando with members and supporters nationwide dedicated to protecting and expanding the civil rights and civil liberties guaranteed by the Constitutions and civil rights laws of the United States and the State of Florida. Learn more about the FCRA by visiting our website: www.fcranews.com

# # #

kdinva
November 24th, 2011, 08:21 AM
This just ruined my Thanksgiving Meal.........but it won't bother the 68,000 at the SuperDome on Saturday.

Plus, that movie "Drumline" ain't fiction after all......

http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/FAMU-FLORIDA-CIVIL-RIGHTS-ASSOC-1123.pdf

FLORIDA CIVIL RIGHTS ASSOCIATION
PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, November 23, 2011

MEDIA CONTACT
Attorney Kyan Ware, FCRA Spokesman
(407) 272-9254 | [email protected]

CIVIL RIGHTS GROUP CALLS FOR THE TERMINATION OF FAMU PRESIDENT,
THE BANDS DIRECTOR AND THE LEADERS OF THE MARCHING 100
PROGRAM

Hazing, Bullying, and Discriminatory Harassment is creating life and death environment in our education systems nationwide

ORLANDO, FLORIDA. - The Florida Civil Rights Association calls on Florida Governor Rick Scott and The Florida A&M University Board of Trustees to immediately terminate Florida A&M President Dr. James Ammons, FAMU Director of bands, Dr. Julian White, Dr. White’s assistants Dr. Shelby Chapman, Robert Griffin, Dr. Shaylor James, and the entire current leadership of The Florida A& M University Marching 100 program.

The recent death of the late Florida A&M Drum Major Robert Champion is confirmation of a culture of hazing that the current president and marching band leadership permitted.

According to Sharon Saunders of Florida A&M University several people have made complaints about being hazed while at the university.

a hazed student sued the university and received an award of over one-millions dollars,

. Learn more about the FCRA by visiting our website: www.fcranews.com

# # #

number1
November 24th, 2011, 03:29 PM
This just ruined my Thanksgiving Meal.........but it won't bother the 68,000 at the SuperDome on Saturday.

Last time I checked, FAMU does not play in the Bayou Classic.

Gringer1
November 24th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Too bad we don't have a Citdog around for guidance.

Big Dawg
November 24th, 2011, 05:16 PM

Our season ended last weekend...in the Florida Classic...

kdinva
November 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Our season ended last weekend...in the Florida Classic...

I am quite aware of that.........I was speaking generally, about the Admin. folks at Grambling St. and Southern U., hearing and reading about the issues at FAMU, and ensuring that their bands are not partaking in hazing activities.

ngineer
November 24th, 2011, 10:25 PM
The same problem at Penn State. "We can't do an harm to the THE PROGRAM"...Protecting institutional "interests" at all costs to individual people. I'm afraid this mentality is not limited to FAMU or PSU. It is rampant throughout our educational and corporate institutions.

DecaturEagle
November 25th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Just left the Battle of the Bands at the Superdome...there was a very nice tribute to Mr. Champion done by the Grambling State University band. I only hope that it was not all lip service for the 25-30K in attendance but actually heartfelt by the institutions. A couple of good friends of mine marched in the "100" and have shared some partial stories of things that I only thought happened in frat houses. Hopefully this unfortunate occurrence will help chill some of this type of action.

superman7515
December 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Not getting any better. The now former band leader, who was just fired, has come out to CBS News equating the band to a bunch of gangs that the University felt were too big to be punished...

Ex-Florida A&M Band Leader "I Sought Crackdown" (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57335147/ex-florida-a-m-band-leader-i-sought-crackdown/?tag=strip)

(CBS News) On Thursday, Florida A&M University today dismissed four students in connection with the death of a member of the school's marching band. Twenty-six-year-old Robert Champion died last month and police say hazing was involved. CBS News correspondent Mark Strassmann looks at the investigation involving one of the nation's most famous marching bands.

The Marching 100 is the face of Florida A&M: high-energy precision performers who have played at presidential inaugurations and Super Bowls.

But the death last month of 26-year-old drum major Robert Champion exposed a scourge the band's longtime director, Dr. Julian White, admits he could not control.

"Would you agree there was a culture of hazing? Strassman asked White.

"There is a culture of hazing," he responded.

M Ruler
December 2nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the young man and his family.

I-16Bandit
December 2nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Not getting any better. The now former band leader, who was just fired, has come out to CBS News equating the band to a bunch of gangs that the University felt were too big to be punished...

Ex-Florida A&M Band Leader "I Sought Crackdown" (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57335147/ex-florida-a-m-band-leader-i-sought-crackdown/?tag=strip)

So childish. I hope that he, along with everybody involved are punished to the damn fullest extent.

superman7515
December 16th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Authorities announce that Robert Champion's death has officially been ruled as a result of physical assault as a result of hazing by the Florida A&M band...

FAMU Death Caused By Hazing, Blunt Force Trauma (http://www.wesh.com/r/30015825/detail.html)

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 16th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hazing, when done correctly, builds character.

Hazing, when applied in an uncontrolled manner, leads to stuff like this.

I have been involved in two organizations (one greek and one non-greek) that hazed the **** out of me. I wouldn't go back and change a thing.

Alas, I will probably here about this from the folks at greek life and we will all have to go through some B.S. anti-hazing lecture now just because some FAMU band kids got too carried away. Can't wait..