PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoffs: The Grand Art Of Compromise

Mr. C
November 23rd, 2011, 01:35 AM
If you were perplexed by the NCAA Division I Football Committee's work, here is a lesson in how to understand what happened this weekend in Indianapolis:

FCS Playoffs: The Grand Art Of Compromise

By David Coulson
Executive Editor
College Sports Journal

PHILADELPHIA, PA. — If I lived in the world of science fiction, how fun would it be to transform into a fly on the wall as the NCAA Division I Football Committee do their playoff deliberations each year in Indianapolis, IN?

This weekend would have been a good time for such a feat, considering the questions that arose from the selection of the 2011 Football Championship Subdivision field.

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/108-fcs-playoffs-the-grand-art-of-compromise

Squealofthepig
November 23rd, 2011, 02:19 AM
JMU only bid $46,768.50 for the first round. The minimum bid was $30,000.

This begs the question - is the JMU AD excessively greedy or just completely inept?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 23rd, 2011, 02:33 AM
Our general conclusion is both... but in part due to the purse strings being held by others in the administration. For example, our AD apparently helped out ODU in their bidding this year, and their first round bid was higher. To give our AD some small piece of credit, the bids for future round games were substantially higher and more competitive. So yes, I thin he saw Norfolk St. on its way as the MEAC rep. and thought ODU at that time would get a bye, meaning JMU is paired with Norfolk St. and you needed only the min. bid to win that one this year. Big error on JMU's part, but it is what it is - a calculated risk that they totally miscalculated.

Squealofthepig
November 23rd, 2011, 02:40 AM
Our general conclusion is both... but in part due to the purse strings being held by others in the administration. For example, our AD apparently helped out ODU in their bidding this year, and their first round bid was higher. To give our AD some small piece of credit, the bids for future round games were substantially higher and more competitive. So yes, I thin he saw Norfolk St. on its way as the MEAC rep. and thought ODU at that time would get a bye, meaning JMU is paired with Norfolk St. and you needed only the min. bid to win that one this year. Big error on JMU's part, but it is what it is - a calculated risk that they totally miscalculated.

As a general fan of FCS, I can only offer commiseration. I think the Dukes, with their tremendous fan support and 25k strong program, just frankly deserved better. You were third in FCS in attendance and get to play away from home -that's just plain not cool. Hopefully it gets your team motivated to do some damage.

Jazzman1522
November 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM

I was thinking the other day...

As much as I hate to admit it, the term "homefield advantage" probably doesn't mean as much at Eastern as I wish it did. Generally, the Colonels do perform well at Roy Kidd Stadium, but I don't think that has anything to do with the raucous fan base or gameday atmosphere. Obviously, there was no way for him to know what the bracket would look like, but I can see some logic in the idea that the round where being on the road would hurt JMU the least is the first round. Maybe going low on the first round bid wasn't so bone-headed, as it allows for more money to be put towards the later rounds. Of course, if they get past Eastern (Hoping they don't), it won't matter as they have to play the 2 seed next. But still, just a thought. Seems like what you're suggesting is something similar and probably more accurate.

I will also say that I looked up JMU's stadium after I saw that everyone was surprised that we were hosting and it's a gorgeous looking facility. As much as I love going to games at EKU, and am happy that they got a home game this season, I can totally see why this is controversial. Regardless of where it's played, I hope it's a good, competitive game and that whoever comes out on top can make some noise the rest of the way too.

EKUSteve
November 23rd, 2011, 09:31 AM
The part about the UVA/Va Tech game I can understand. However, we put in a big enough bid even though the big Tennessee/Kentucky Rivalry game is also Sat at noon in Lexington, 25 miles away.

MplsBison
November 23rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Well now I hope JMU loses to EKU in Kentucky on the first round.

Cheap-skates. Your AD is a moron who doesn't understand that home-field in the playoffs is gold.

TheRevSFA
November 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
ODU hosts Norfolk State in a sold-out, first-round game against MEAC champion Norfolk State.

Might want to fix that.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2011, 11:06 AM
More conspiracy?

Pioneer- Play someone.
MEAC- Win playoff games. Last year they got two in, both with better records than any MEAC at-large from this year. They both lost, one at home.

Still on the JMU-EKU thing?

UNI is not guaranteed a quarterfinal playoff game at home. They would go to Montana. Apparently both you and Ralph missed this error.

Glad that someone writes FCS stories, but not sure what the point of this one was. Not catch the error with the 5 seed, still on the JMU "conspiracy", and the MEAC and PFL clearly understand their issues.

Grizzaholic
November 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM
More conspiracy?

Pioneer- Play someone.
MEAC- Win playoff games. Last year they got two in, both with better records than any MEAC at-large from this year. They both lost, one at home.

UNI is not guaranteed a quarterfinal playoff game at home. They would go to Montana. Apparently both you and Ralph missed this error.

Glad that someone writes FCS stories, but not sure what the point of this one was. Not catch the error with the 5 seed, still on the JMU "conspiracy", and the MEAC and PFL clearly understand their issues.

You really think he would actually try and get some facts correct?

LouiseBFree
November 23rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
You really think he would actually try and get some facts correct?

Why start letting the facts factor in now? And beyond a couple a dozen posters on this board, no one's reading It anyway.

UNHFootballAlum
November 23rd, 2011, 01:31 PM
More conspiracy?

Pioneer- Play someone.

he would be correct if Montana does not win their game and UNI does. Then UNI would host

Grizzaholic
November 23rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
he would be correct if Montana does not win their game and UNI does. Then UNI would host

He probably pics Montana to lose. He always does. Some hack he is.

JmuSkinsfan
November 23rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Solid write-up ... I tend to agree with the precedence here. I was pretty confident JMu was in as a 7-4 from the CAA, over a 7-4, 6 DI win Delaware, or any others. I think if YSU or Indiana State had won (or both) they would replace EKU and UCA respectively in the field. No way all three 7-4 MVFC teams would have made it in ... and I thought Illinois State was the odd man out because of their loss to Eastern Illinois. I did think the YSU and Indiana State losses opened up the spot for Illinois State, but clearly they wouldn't have been in either way.

OL FU
November 23rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
Solid write-up ... I tend to agree with the precedence here. I was pretty confident JMu was in as a 7-4 from the CAA, over a 7-4, 6 DI win Delaware, or any others. I think if YSU or Indiana State had won (or both) they would replace EKU and UCA respectively in the field. No way all three 7-4 MVFC teams would have made it in ... and I thought Illinois State was the odd man out because of their loss to Eastern Illinois. I did think the YSU and Indiana State losses opened up the spot for Illinois State, but clearly they wouldn't have been in either way.

I agree. Informative with insight.

Cleets
November 23rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
I agree. Informative with insight.

What are you doing on here...
shouldn't you be scoffing at football in general right now - where's your bad attitude..?

Tubby Raymond
November 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Must admit, not bad.

OL FU
November 23rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
What are you doing on here...
shouldn't you be scoffing at football in general right now - where's your bad attitude..?

If you would give me directions to Crapsville so I could have a drink I would be in a much better mood.

Besides, have you seen Furman Basketball:o

kfkolonel
November 23rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
As a general fan of FCS, I can only offer commiseration. I think the Dukes, with their tremendous fan support and 25k strong program, just deserve better . . .. Hopefully it gets your team motivated to do some damage.
Wait just a minute, here! Don't take your AD's mistake out on poor 'lil EKU. Our AD just bid higher--no reason to get all motivated.

Grizzaholic
November 23rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Wait just a minute, here! Don't take your AD's mistake out on poor 'lil EKU. Our AD just bid higher--no reason to get all motivated.

I hope you stomp a mud hole in them.

nwFL Griz
November 23rd, 2011, 11:03 PM
Didn't read, but there weren't any "questions" about what happened in Indy this weekend. The bid thing explains itself. EKU makes sense to me, but I can understand some of the ISUr folks being miffed.

I assume this was as qualty as the last one about the ESPN conspiracy, so I skipped it.

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2011, 12:29 AM

Aka, not guaranteed. ;)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 24th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I was thinking the other day...

As much as I hate to admit it, the term "homefield advantage" probably doesn't mean as much at Eastern as I wish it did. Generally, the Colonels do perform well at Roy Kidd Stadium, but I don't think that has anything to do with the raucous fan base or gameday atmosphere. Obviously, there was no way for him to know what the bracket would look like, but I can see some logic in the idea that the round where being on the road would hurt JMU the least is the first round. Maybe going low on the first round bid wasn't so bone-headed, as it allows for more money to be put towards the later rounds. Of course, if they get past Eastern (Hoping they don't), it won't matter as they have to play the 2 seed next. But still, just a thought. Seems like what you're suggesting is something similar and probably more accurate.

I will also say that I looked up JMU's stadium after I saw that everyone was surprised that we were hosting and it's a gorgeous looking facility. As much as I love going to games at EKU, and am happy that they got a home game this season, I can totally see why this is controversial. Regardless of where it's played, I hope it's a good, competitive game and that whoever comes out on top can make some noise the rest of the way too.

I think the Homefield Advantage in this case has less to do with the stadium on game day and more to do with the hassle of traveling. 420 miles, though still bus trip capable, is not an hour trip down the road. I believe our team still chartered flights to minimize travel impact. If we knew you would have 20K+, then we would be more concerned about EKU's homefield advantage.

The real sad thing here is that JMU could have made money even with a large bid. I am positive that the UVA/Tech game is not as big a deal as our AD would like to think it is. JMU fans care about JMU. We will watch other in state games, but our fans would not pass up on home playoff game. Plus, in addition to the new facilities and great team, any chance to showcase our band on TV - take it! It's worth the money. xnodx

Also, nothing controversial about it, just a bit shocking is all. Most of us are over it now and just want a win on Saturday. Funny, lots of hate/love thrown at JMU. Seems to be a love 'em or hate 'em kind of thing.

Engineer86
November 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the info on the JMU bid. Do you have the bids for others. I would love to know if Lehigh even made a real attempt at a home game or just got blown out by a bid from Towson. Our stadium holds 5K more and we lose the bid. It would also be interesting to get an idea of what the level of bids is.

hujo21
November 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM
THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL

Even more surprising than the fact that Eastern Kentucky made the field was the fact that James Madison lost its bid to the Colonels to host the first-round game.

Many people cried foul when JMU was left without a home game, but a Freedom of Information filing by the Harrisonburg Daily News-Record revealed that the Dukes had been out bid and O'Day confirmed that information.

O'Day said that JMU had been out-bid by "a considerable" amount.

Even with an average attendance of 25,002 per game in the newly refurbished Bridgeforth Stadium, JMU only bid $46,768.50 for the first round. The minimum bid was $30,000.

JMU officials told reporters they were worried about Thanksgiving weekend, school being out of session and the Virginia-Virginia Tech rivalry game being played 45 miles away as potential attendance depressors.

The Dukes bid $76,168.50 for the second round ($30,000 minimum), $100,056 for the quarterfinals ($40,000 minimum) and $125,743.50 for the semifinals ($50,000 minimum).

"We ended up submitting what we felt was a very competitive bid based on prior history and what we felt was appropriate in regard to our stadium," JMU Athletic Director Jeff Bourne told the Daily News-Record. "We're seeing a real shift in the types of commitments people are willing to make. To me this is a significant change."

Bourne represents the CAA on the NCAA football committee. EKU Athletic Director Mark Sandy is also among the committee members.

It is NCAA policy that athletic directors must leave the room when their teams are being discussed.

Who on here think it is ok to BID on hosting playoff games? If you think it is ok, I got a bridge I want to sell you in Mississippi?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Surprise, surprise. The details of EKU's bid have not emerged yet. No, really, is anyone surprised?

I can see it now: January 6th, they'll become public. xlolx

appfan2008
November 24th, 2011, 09:52 AM
You have to put the best bid out there... I am an estimator in the commercial construction business here in boone and the thing that i have learned is that you just have to put the best number out there and hope for the best... if you do that you will be happy with the outcome of any bid... i do not think jmu put their best bid out there and if you are a dukes fan you should not be happy...

Jazzman1522
November 24th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Surprise, surprise. The details of EKU's bid have not emerged yet. No, really, is anyone surprised?

Seems to me like if anything truly controversial went on, JMU's athletic director would be saying something about it instead of just admitting that they got out-bid by a considerable amount. Just because Eastern hasn't revealed their bid doesn't mean something shady's going on. JMU's details got released because a reporter went after the information. I doubt there's anyone upset about the situation in Richmond, so why should they release the information. They don't have to answer to anyone.

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Couldn't you just file a request like the writers in VA did? Would the facts be inconvenient to your stories?

grayghost06
November 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM
THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL

Even more surprising than the fact that Eastern Kentucky made the field was the fact that James Madison lost its bid to the Colonels to host the first-round game.

Many people cried foul when JMU was left without a home game, but a Freedom of Information filing by the Harrisonburg Daily News-Record revealed that the Dukes had been out bid and O'Day confirmed that information.

O'Day said that JMU had been out-bid by "a considerable" amount.

Even with an average attendance of 25,002 per game in the newly refurbished Bridgeforth Stadium, JMU only bid $46,768.50 for the first round. The minimum bid was $30,000.

JMU officials told reporters they were worried about Thanksgiving weekend, school being out of session and the Virginia-Virginia Tech rivalry game being played 45 miles away as potential attendance depressors.

The Dukes bid $76,168.50 for the second round ($30,000 minimum), $100,056 for the quarterfinals ($40,000 minimum) and $125,743.50 for the semifinals ($50,000 minimum).

"We ended up submitting what we felt was a very competitive bid based on prior history and what we felt was appropriate in regard to our stadium," JMU Athletic Director Jeff Bourne told the Daily News-Record. "We're seeing a real shift in the types of commitments people are willing to make. To me this is a significant change."

Bourne represents the CAA on the NCAA football committee. EKU Athletic Director Mark Sandy is also among the committee members.

It is NCAA policy that athletic directors must leave the room when their teams are being discussed.

Who on here think it is ok to BID on hosting playoff games? If you think it is ok, I got a bridge I want to sell you in Mississippi?

As James Mason once said in the movie The Verdict, "As a laywer, you are not paid to do your best....you are paid to win". Using the word "competitive, when describing a bid, says to me that " you did your best"-ie; NOT acceptable.

hujo21
November 24th, 2011, 02:34 PM
But Gray, don't you think that if you get best record in the FCS and win your conference, you should automatically get home field, no biding. Just copy what the NFL does with their playoffs then everybody in the FCS will want to be part of the playoffs.

JALMOND
November 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM
It's insights like this that makes me laugh at those in FBS who say that the bowl system places emphasis on the whole season. If we are pointing to games lost in September, as Illinois State losing to Eastern Illinois was, as reasons not to be selected by the committee, then our system of having playoffs does the same thing.

The thing with 6 win teams not getting in, I believe, is that the criteria has not been set yet. It will take a situation in the future where it is clearly a "no-brainer" that a six win team should be in over a seven or eight win team, whatever that will be. It may take a situation where a number of six win teams from the power conferences are staying home, watching Jacksonville play Florida A&M. Then the floodgates will be opened and we can no longer deny a six win team from consideration solely on number of wins. Only then will we truly be able to say Delaware should have been in this year, or Montana should have been in last year.