PDA

View Full Version : A letter to ESPN from Sen. Jon Tester.... for all FCS fans and schools...

GrizzlyEdd
November 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Tester asks ESPN to make Cat/Griz playoff games available to Montana fans
Senator urges sports network to make TV feed ‘reasonably available’ to Montanans

(U.S. SENATE) – U.S. Senator Jon Tester is throwing a challenge flag at an ESPN decision that will prevent many Montanans from watching the Grizzlies and Bobcats advance in the playoffs in the coming weeks.

ESPN, which owns the rights to Football Championship Subdivision playoff games, has reportedly decided not to air the first and second-round playoff games on cable. And the network has apparently not offered to make the telecasts available in Montana.

“In Montana, college football is a treasured tradition,” Tester wrote in a letter to George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN/ABC Sports.

Although ESPN plans to stream the second-round games online on ESPN3, Tester noted that the service “is not widely available for games that hundreds of thousands of Montanans are looking forward to.”

In his letter, Tester said hundreds of Montanans have already written ESPN and are petitioning on a new Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/events/121290624649284/) devoted to the cause.

“Within hours after hearing your decision, Montanans put their friendly rivalries aside to cheer for a common goal: to encourage ESPN to reconsider,” Tester wrote. “I am proud to join these Montanans in their unified plea. Please consider working with Montana broadcast stations or cable providers to make TV feeds of these FCS playoff games reasonably available to Montana fans. Airing these games in Montana will allow ESPN to be part of a time-honored pastime in the Treasure State.”

The Montana State University Bobcats will host New Hampshire in a second-round playoff game December 3. The University of Montana Grizzlies will host the winner of the Tennessee Tech and Central Arkansas game.

Tester’s letter to ESPN appears below:

Dear Mr. Bodenheimer:

I write today as a proud college football fan, and on behalf of many Montanans who are frustrated by news that they won’t be able to watch the University of Montana Grizzlies or the Montana State University Bobcats play in their upcoming Football Championship Subdivision playoff games.

In Montana, college football is a treasured tradition. And this year we are looking forward to seeing both powerhouse teams advance in the playoffs.

However, to this point, ESPN has apparently not offered to make the telecasts available in the state. Even a live internet stream on ESPN3 is not widely available for games that hundreds of thousands of Montanans are looking forward to.

Within hours after hearing your decision, Montanans put their friendly rivalries aside to cheer for a common goal: to encourage ESPN to reconsider. Hundreds of fans have written your network, and they are petitioning on a new Facebook page devoted to this cause. You can expect many more.

I am proud to join these Montanans in their unified plea. Please consider working with Montana broadcast stations or cable providers to make TV feeds of these FCS playoff games reasonably available to Montana fans. Airing these games in Montana will allow ESPN to be part of a time-honored pastime in the Treasure State.

Respectfully,
(s)
Jon Tester

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
xthumbsupx

Wildcat80
November 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
Even though I have internet....I support you 110%!!

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
xbeerdrinkx

Now that's taking some action.

Block-A
November 22nd, 2011, 05:46 PM
See, Congress really is working on getting important stuff accomplished.

Gridlock? Pfffftttt...

PS, please make sure the App/Maine game gets broadcast, too, so I can DVR it.

Maybe I need to write MY Congressman... Just not sure he can spell ESPN. xlolx

Grizcountry420
November 22nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Football in Montana is kind of a BIG deal! Thanks for the support Sen.Tester..

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
I don't get why ESPN is changing things from last year where local/regional media outlets could buy the rights for the game, no ISP is going to cave and add ESPN3 because of the FCS playoffs.

LakesBison
November 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Wha wha wha, montana's aint the only team in playoffs, thanks for.mentioning everyone else. Hope you both loae in round 1 !

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Wha wha wha, montana's aint the only team in playoffs, thanks for.mentioning everyone else. Hope you both loae in round 1 !

Exactly why I like NDSU fans. They are not only classy, but mature and intelligent as well.

SeattleGriz
November 22nd, 2011, 06:33 PM

I think it has more to do with the fact there is only one internet provider in Montana that has access to ESPN3 and they are a small operation.

veinup
November 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
not bad, tester. not bad.

LakesBison
November 22nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Do they even have internet?

SeattleGriz
November 22nd, 2011, 06:47 PM

Well, considering there are usually 4 online viewing options during the season... But having internet isn't the problem. The problem is the ISP's that provider 98% of the internet service to Montana don't have ESPN3 access. Hell, it has only been a year or two that Comcast out here in Seattle got ESPN3.

You also have to realize that EVERY Griz game has been broadcast via the states TV network for the last 15+ years. I used to be able to watch the Griz every weekend in Phoenix back in 1996 because the bars could pick up the satellite broadcast.

It's rather hard to go cold turkey.

MplsBison
November 22nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
I think it has more to do with the fact there is only one internet provider in Montana that has access to ESPN3 and they are a small operation.

So many places you could go with this...in regards to Montana and their access to "technology".

Best leave it be. xlolx

Grizalltheway
November 22nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
So many places you could go with this...in regards to Montana and their access to "technology".

Best leave it be. xlolx

Same could be said of you regarding access to brain power, but I'll leave that be, as well.

GrizzlyEdd
November 22nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
Other teams are mentioned in the Facebook page on this subject.... this is being done by U of M and MSU fans for all of FCS fans, universities, teams, etc... at least Montanan's are stepping up and hoping other states will also... get involved don't criticize.

GrizzlyEdd
November 22nd, 2011, 09:04 PM
This benefits NDSU also you ignorant ***.... it benefits all teams in FCS but guess you have your nose up ESPN's corporate ***..... get real and support FCS football teams... NDSU is a proud member or the FCS idiot.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 22nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
Dear Sen. Tester,

We at Disney/ESPN/ABC couldn't give a Rat's *** for anything outside of the BS, er, BCS when it comes to college football. Major College teams would prefer the ignorant public continue to think FCS and DII are the same thing.

GFY,

George Bodenheimer

kardplayer
November 22nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
My cable provider in NJ doesn't have access to ESPN3 either. Seems ridiculous to block access to this.

kardplayer
November 22nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
According to this site, there are 131.7MM homes in the US
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

According to the Lehigh website, ESPN3 is available in 70mm homes. That means almost half don't have access...
http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/lehigh-towson_playoff_clash_set_for_330_start_on_december _3.aspx

HailSzczur
November 22nd, 2011, 11:36 PM
Other teams are mentioned in the Facebook page on this subject.... this is being done by U of M and MSU fans for all of FCS fans, universities, teams, etc... at least Montanan's are stepping up and hoping other states will also... get involved don't criticize.

I get ESPN 3, and I don't have a dog in this years playoffs but I'm in just out of principle. I love FCS football and getting to know some other fans through this board I want them to have every opportunity that I have. I know how exciting it is to make a NC run, and even runs deep into the playoffs, and given the technology and the capabilities we have in sports entertainment there should be no excuse for anyone not being able to see their team's run at the NC

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 11:48 PM
Exactly why I like NDSU fans. They are not only classy, but mature and intelligent as well.

" NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE; comes into 'OUR HOUSE' and pushes us around!

Georgia Southern Eagles, Division I-AA National Champions 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999, 2000
"

^except NDSU

NDB
November 22nd, 2011, 11:49 PM
I don't get why they don't just allow local ABC stations pick it up.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2011, 12:02 AM

They might if there is a cry for it that catches their attention. They could do something and just might if they get sick of hearing from us and with MSU & UM whining in unison hopefully it will be hard to ignore.xlolx

Thing is thogh I really would like to be able to watch the games with SBU/Albany and all the other first rounders as well. I'll take what I can get though. I'm gonna be at the game anyway for UM but man it sucks if they don't let us show it or don't do it themselves.

Grizzaholic
November 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
They might if there is a cry for it that catches their attention. They could do something and just might if they get sick of hearing from us and with MSU & UM whining in unison hopefully it will be hard to ignore.xlolx

Thing is thogh I really would like to be able to watch the games with SBU/Albany and all the other first rounders as well. I'll take what I can get though. I'm gonna be at the game anyway for UM but man it sucks if they don't let us show it or don't do it themselves.

This...or, for those of us that have gameplan, tell us that we need to buy a package for these games. I got some money in the piggy bank that I would gladly smash so I can watch these.

tojo70
November 23rd, 2011, 01:03 AM
Lakes,
I am a Bison fan all the way (stepdad had season tickets and was at every home game back in the 80's) loved growing up watching the Bison at Dakota Field. I now live in Great Falls, MT. I root for both Montana teams but first and foremost root for the Bison. I've seen your posts and don't think much of them but this one crosses the line. A Montana senator is sticking up for HIS state. And all you can do is bash him (and the fans of MT) without realizing by him doing so, also promotes FCS football and every program in the FCS.
Just once, stop being a douche bag and realize what this means to have someone in a position of power promote something that means a lot to all of us her on AGS, including yourself.
If I remember correctly, your lakesbison name comes from you living in Detroit lakes. I may be wrong though. But, If that is the case if I were in your position, I'd be thinking, "that is awesome" and I'd be emailing congressman Peterson and your other representatives and senators to do the same as Senator Tester has done.
Unfortunately though, you have taken the another route and proven what a douchebag you are.

Mr. C
November 23rd, 2011, 01:40 AM
As a Dish Network subscriber, I have never been able to get ESPN3 to work for me. There may be a way around things, but I have yet to find it. The other problem is that I am usually using my computer to blog during games and don't have a second computer handy to watch a game. How is someone suppose to watch ESPN3 and post on AGS at the same time?

Grizzaholic
November 23rd, 2011, 01:42 AM
Lakes,
I am a Bison fan all the way (stepdad had season tickets and was at every home game back in the 80's) loved growing up watching the Bison at Dakota Field. I now live in Great Falls, MT. I root for both Montana teams but first and foremost root for the Bison. I've seen your posts and don't think much of them but this one crosses the line. A Montana senator is sticking up for HIS state. And all you can do is bash him (and the fans of MT) without realizing by him doing so, also promotes FCS football and every program in the FCS.
Just once, stop being a douche bag and realize what this means to have someone in a position of power promote something that means a lot to all of us her on AGS, including yourself.
If I remember correctly, your lakesbison name comes from you living in Detroit lakes. I may be wrong though. But, If that is the case if I were in your position, I'd be thinking, "that is awesome" and I'd be emailing congressman Peterson and your other representatives and senators to do the same as Senator Tester has done.
Unfortunately though, you have taken the another route and proven what a douchebag you are.

Great post.

UAalum72
November 23rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
How is someone suppose to watch ESPN3 and post on AGS at the same time?
Open two windows side by side on your screen.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
My cable provider in NJ doesn't have access to ESPN3 either. Seems ridiculous to block access to this.

Optimum Cablevision huh? Yeah they are always the odd man out... see World Series blackout last year. They are a cheap network but at least give them credit for standing up to the greedy cable networks. ESPN is largely at fault too. So if my cable provider doesn't subscribe, why can't I just sign-up for E3 at like 3.95 per month?

bluehenbillk
November 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM
3 points:

1 - ESPN can use this as a chip to get more ISP's to carry ESPN3 which is their right.

2- If your ISP doesn't carry ESPN3, you can view ESPN3 telecasts free of charge on www.firstrowsports.tv I've watched ESPN3 & Big Ten Network games all year on this site.

3 -You're welcome for the information in point #2.

BisonBacker
November 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM

Why don't you go find MNPLSBison and TheFan and the three of you idiots can have a circle jerk.

BisonBacker
November 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Lakes,

Amen to that post. I agree he and TheFan put douchebaggery on a completely new level.

eaglesrthe1
November 23rd, 2011, 10:00 AM
3 points:

1 - ESPN can use this as a chip to get more ISP's to carry ESPN3 which is their right.

2- If your ISP doesn't carry ESPN3, you can view ESPN3 telecasts free of charge on www.firstrowsports.tv I've watched ESPN3 & Big Ten Network games all year on this site.

Exactly, your ISP doesn't have to subscribe, just go to a website that is linking to ESPN3 for you.

MplsBison
November 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
As a Dish Network subscriber, I have never been able to get ESPN3 to work for me. There may be a way around things, but I have yet to find it. The other problem is that I am usually using my computer to blog during games and don't have a second computer handy to watch a game. How is someone suppose to watch ESPN3 and post on AGS at the same time?

Supposedly there is a way to sign up for a free email account with att.net. Then at the ESPN3 screen where you select your service provider, you select AT&T and put in the user name and password of your free email account.

Never had to try this, don't know if it still works or ever worked.

You can open two internet browser windows (Firefox, IE, etc.) and press ALT+Tab to automatically switch back and forth.

MplsBison
November 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Lakes,

Actually his home address, cell phone number, driver's license number and place of employment are now public knowledge due to his arrest for threatening a ND state senator.

And I absolutely can not think of a more deserving person to have been exposed in such a way.

Catbooster
November 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Actually his home address, cell phone number, driver's license number and place of employment are now public knowledge due to his arrest for threatening a ND state senator.

And I absolutely can not think of a more deserving person to have been exposed in such a way.

Yeah, maybe suggesting he write his senator is not the best idea xcoffeex

JMU_71
November 23rd, 2011, 12:18 PM
See, Congress really is working on getting important stuff accomplished.

Gridlock? Pfffftttt...

PS, please make sure the App/Maine game gets broadcast, too, so I can DVR it.

Maybe I need to write MY Congressman... Just not sure he can spell ESPN. xlolx

Yeah, if it's Heath Shuler that is certainly a concern.

HailSzczur
November 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Got this email back from ESPN today after sending an email with one of the links provided on this or another thread on the topic:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting ESPN.

The following ESPN3 providers carry ESPN3 in Montana: 3 Rivers Communications, Range Telephone Cooperative and Triangle Communications System. A full list of current affiliated providers nationwide for ESPN3 can be found by visiting http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList?device=null.

ESPN is working diligently with other providers to offer the network to as many fans as possible. Fans who do not receive their service from any of the above can call their provider and request that they offer ESPN3 to their subscribers. For CenturyLink subscribers, please call 877-348-9005 . For Optimum, contact Customer Service at 866-575-8000 .

This year, ESPN3 is delivering the most number of FCS Championship games ever distributed live nationally. The network is also showing games that may otherwise not have been televised, and with a nationwide audience, allows for displaced fans to now have access to their teams.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Open two windows side by side on your screen.

xlolx

I have had FF, Chrome and several programs rolling with one window running 4 games on 4 different tabs and also a tab open with AGS.

Then I had bigskytv open on the Chrome with all the games currently in progress and running on that browser just so I could keep the games straight.

It does get annoying when you forget to hit the mute button when you go back to your main game though.

Mr. C? I'll be happy to share the techniques with ya and get ya on the gravy train with my system.:D

For quick reference though the AGS tab always goes on the far left of my FF browser.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Lakes,

There are few, if any, that the phrase "Can't see the forrest for the tree's" and the only detail in this example that Lakes pays attention to is himself.

Very nicely done there my friend.

Walkon79
November 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
3 points:

None of this is on point. We've watched EVERY game live for years, both Cat and Griz with few exceptions. I don't want to watch this on a computer or try to hook it up to my TV, even if I could. And I live in an area of Montana where it's not even an option.

I want these games on TV as always, IN my favorite watering hole with 8 flat screens, with 30 or 40 of my favorite Cat/Griz friends.

ESPN........Suck It!!xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangx

footballer23
November 23rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Lakes,

Amen.

footballer23
November 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM

Dish Network wouldn't have anything to do with it... it's an internet only channel.

Grizcountry420
November 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
I just saw that ESPN had responded back to the people and pretty much said go p!ss in the wind but they didnt know that they had received letters from our congressman. They are further looking into this, they wrote...

http://www.kpax.com/news/espn-releases-statement-on-cat-griz-coverage/

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
I just saw that ESPN had responded back to the people and pretty much said go p!ss in the wind but they didnt know that they had received letters from our congressman. They are further looking into this, they wrote...

Keep the pressure on fans and see if we can get soem movement from them just in the sense of a "go away" type of thing at the very least.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
I would hope ESPN would address this for everyone. I would have expected our local TV station, WFMZ in Allentown, to be able to broadcast the Lehigh-Towson game. A lot of people in the quad state area would love to see this one. I've signed the petition and received a form response about the availability of ESPN3..Not good enough.

Trek222
November 24th, 2011, 08:26 AM
If your game is being played on ESPNU and you do not have access to that channel you can go to nowwatchtvlive.

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2011, 08:42 AM
But they're going to nationally televise the thrilling New Orleans bowl matchup between Louisiana Lafayette and some Conference USA also-ran. I understand why they do that and don't televise FCS playoff games. Bowl game matchups get higher ratings than FCS playoff games do regardless of how bad and meaningless they are. What I DON'T understand is why that's the case. Why is it that the average college football fan would rather watch two below average FBS teams play in a bowl that means nothing than watch two good FCS teams play for a chance to advance in a playoff tournament? I just don't get it but nothing I can do about it.

gsu6trophies
November 24th, 2011, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=JohnStOnge;1733010]But they're going to nationally televise the thrilling New Orleans bowl matchup between Louisiana Lafayette and some Conference USA also-ran. I understand why they do that and don't televise FCS playoff games. Bowl game matchups get higher ratings than FCS playoff games do regardless of how bad and meaningless they are. What I DON'T understand is why that's the case. Why is it that the average college football fan would rather watch two below average FBS teams play in a bowl that means nothing than watch two good FCS teams play for a chance to advance in a playoff tournament? I just don't get it but nothing I can do about it.

Idk. I would rather watch nw Missouri vs Valdosta state in the playoffs than ULL vs Marshall in NO. I guess I'm different. No offense to people from the north east, but IMHO they are the laziest group of sports fans. They'd rather talk about ny Yankees all day and scoff at the mention of their local D3's playoff success in both football and baseball. It's like rooting for dominant pro athletes somehow makes them dominant. Maybe Uga fans in GA are the same.

GridCaptain
November 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM
ESPN3 is a great outlet. Sponsors dictate programming as much as anyone and there is no national interest in FCS. Elected officials should stick to important things and leave sports to the free market. if Senator Tester wants television coverage so much then get PBS to cover the games. Truth is FCS is second tier for interest and with so much FBS football on the air there is nothing left per space.

CrazyCat
November 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM
ESPN3 is a great outlet. Sponsors dictate programming as much as anyone and there is no national interest in FCS. Elected officials should stick to important things and leave sports to the free market. if Senator Tester wants television coverage so much then get PBS to cover the games. Truth is FCS is second tier for interest and with so much FBS football on the air there is nothing left per space.

That's the problem. Both the Cats and Griz have tv coverage but ESPN is not allowing them to purchase the rights to broadcast.

Drblankstare
November 24th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Lakes,

Amen brother.

bisonguy
November 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM

That's an outright lie. Lakes did not threaten a ND state senator. It was the ND House majority leader.

MplsBison
November 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM

If you're good at something, never do it for free.

It's the same reason why they don't give free content away on espn.com - they want as many people as possible to be pay for ESPN via basic cable subscriptions. Internet and over the air broadcasts take money out of their pockets.

Grizalltheway
November 24th, 2011, 10:03 PM
If you're good at something, never do it for free.

It's the same reason why they don't give free content away on espn.com - they want as many people as possible to be pay for ESPN via basic cable subscriptions. Internet and over the air broadcasts take money out of their pockets.

They still have to pay to pick up the feed, dumb ****.

MplsBison
November 24th, 2011, 10:06 PM
They still have to pay to pick up the feed, dumb ****.

They'd make more money if all the people signed up for cable so they could watch it on ESPN.

putter
November 24th, 2011, 11:01 PM
It is a catch 22 for me. If ESPN wants to get more people watching the FCS playoffs then stop doing absolutely NOTHING to promote them! If they touted the playoffs as much as they do any other bowel game they televise they may up their ratings and make more money putting the broadcasts on. ESPN3 seems to me to be a low cost way to get out those "annoying" programs that they have to do but don't really want to and keep another replay of the WSOP or high school basketball.

GrizzlyEdd
November 24th, 2011, 11:17 PM

Ya I was one of those people and I posted that reply on here a couple of days ago... it is pretty much a shut TFU and go away kind of thing... corporate babble to shut up the masses... what idiots..

LouiseBFree
November 24th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Because there's a betting line on the bowl games, no matter how unwatchable they will surely be. Gamblers can drive ratings.

But they're going to nationally televise the thrilling New Orleans bowl matchup between Louisiana Lafayette and some Conference USA also-ran. I understand why they do that and don't televise FCS playoff games. Bowl game matchups get higher ratings than FCS playoff games do regardless of how bad and meaningless they are. What I DON'T understand is why that's the case. Why is it that the average college football fan would rather watch two below average FBS teams play in a bowl that means nothing than watch two good FCS teams play for a chance to advance in a playoff tournament? I just don't get it but nothing I can do about it.

bisonwest
November 25th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Lakes,

I second this! Lakes you are a ******ing MORON!!

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I second this! Lakes you are a ******ing MORON!!

Lots of respect is being gained for NDSU fans in this thread.

GridCaptain
November 25th, 2011, 05:18 AM
ESPN has the FCS rights via the NCAA television package. So, if you are looking for someone to blame, look to Indianapolis and the NCAA as they tossed in the FCS television rights along with the rest of the barn as part of the big basketball deal. To the NCAA there is no difference between FCS, Division II and Division III, as these are the football properties that they control. They have no fiduciary oversight over FBS or its television deal. They have the rights and if the audience is there as you proclaim then it will drive buys on the ESPN3 web site, app, etc... and further help ESPN develop this new realm of media.

GridCaptain
November 25th, 2011, 05:22 AM
If you are such a big fan of these games then do the stand up thing and go to the game in person. It's a matter of priority in your own life and whether it means enough to you to take a day off of work and get in the car, train, bus, plane and get to the game. Few FCS programs really travel to support their teams as we all saw last year in Frisco where 80% of the attendance was from texas people and another 20% of the place was empty. Delaware and EWU travelled OK for FCS programs but that was anemic compared to what even a low level FBS team would take to a mid-major bowl. This was a national championship game and neither program took more than 5,000 people. These are things that ESPN and the NCAA notice and why 90% of the teams that move up from FCS to FBS fail in terms of becoming an established winner. Only Marshall has done it and that is a unique case altogether.

Trek222
November 25th, 2011, 11:53 AM
If you are such a big fan of these games then do the stand up thing and go to the game in person. It's a matter of priority in your own life and whether it means enough to you to take a day off of work and get in the car, train, bus, plane and get to the game. Few FCS programs really travel to support their teams as we all saw last year in Frisco where 80% of the attendance was from texas people and another 20% of the place was empty. Delaware and EWU travelled OK for FCS programs but that was anemic compared to what even a low level FBS team would take to a mid-major bowl. This was a national championship game and neither program took more than 5,000 people. These are things that ESPN and the NCAA notice and why 90% of the teams that move up from FCS to FBS fail in terms of becoming an established winner. Only Marshall has done it and that is a unique case altogether.

We are talking about traveling distances that many people cannot afford. What could possibly be harmful in ESPN allowing local stations broadcast the game. Instead they want to force providers to pay extra to offer access to ESPN3. And as far as teams that went from FCS to FBS are you forgetting about UCONN?

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Plenty of people travel hundreds of miles (from WA, OR, eastern MT, etc) for every Griz home game, but not everyone can afford to do so. Take a look at a map, get a feel for what distances are like out here, or STFU on this subject.

BearIt
November 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM

UM's stadium holds 26,000 people and MSU's holds 18,000, there are proably about 500,000 people that want to watch those games in the state. I'm sure they can all fit.xrolleyesx

You people in Plentywood need to stop *****ing and get in your car and drive the 584 miles of snow and ice covered 2 lane highways to Missoula and watch the game. What a bunch of pussies. I don't understand why you have a problem with this. xrolleyesx

Grizcountry420
November 25th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Fhuck your dumb!

Cleets
November 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM
It's a big state with real mountain ranges and long distances of nothing but wilderness...
Something not very well understood by all - perhaps some who live where the states are the size of some of the Ranches in Montana

xlolx

PhillyApp1
November 25th, 2011, 12:28 PM
" NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE; comes into 'OUR HOUSE' and pushes us around!

Georgia Southern Eagles, Division I-AA National Champions 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999, 2000
"

^except NDSU

Yo Vito...Do you work at Shoremaster or Ottertail power?
Just a wild guess, your real name is Rob R.??
If it isn't, i'm sure you know him!

PhillyApp1
November 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
My guess is you are an ESPN employee ;-)
And as long as ESPN loves APP State i will not berate them.

BUT, You are FULL of ESPN BULLSH**.
AND "F" the NCAA also.

The NEW BCS will tell the NCAA to go to hell.
ESPN will always do what is best for ESPN, even if they don't know diddy about sports outside the northeast.

We need more FOX SPORTS!!!!!!!!!

And relax, i thought i would throw some sh** at you.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM

Has anyone told you to go **** yourself yet? Or you could do some YOGA and stick your head up your own ***.

BearIt
November 25th, 2011, 01:20 PM
90% of the teams that move up from FCS to FBS fail in terms of becoming an established winner. Only Marshall has done it and that is a unique case altogether.

This statement alone show how stupid you are.

Edit.. Go **** yourself

Cleets
November 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
This statement alone show how stupid you are.

Edit.. Go **** yourself

I got one word for that... Boise State

darell1976
November 25th, 2011, 01:34 PM
ESPN has the FCS rights via the NCAA television package. So, if you are looking for someone to blame, look to Indianapolis and the NCAA as they tossed in the FCS television rights along with the rest of the barn as part of the big basketball deal. To the NCAA there is no difference between FCS, Division II and Division III, as these are the football properties that they control. They have no fiduciary oversight over FBS or its television deal. They have the rights and if the audience is there as you proclaim then it will drive buys on the ESPN3 web site, app, etc... and further help ESPN develop this new realm of media.

I was thinking the same thing while reading this. If ESPN is going to be total pricks about this, then that MT Congressman and others need to write to the NCAA and tell them to dump ESPN for another network like Fox or CBS. I know the NCAA has a lot on their plate so I am sure they will toss this issue aside and as long as the $$$ roll in...there is always radio.

100%GRIZ
November 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM
So how much of this has to do with FBS - BCS? It is my theory that less coverage of FCS (1-AA) playoffs is the best thing for the FBS (less controversy) about them moving to a playoff system! In the past Networks like Fox Sports and Altitude (out west) have covered early round playoff games. So now we have ESPN3 with much less viewership around the country. So with less sports fans watching the playoffs Mission Accomplished by the Big Boys! Just my 2 cents!

Cleets
November 25th, 2011, 01:47 PM

We'd certainly love to work with you at ESPN to accomplish those goals...

darell1976
November 25th, 2011, 01:49 PM
So how much of this has to do with FBS - BCS? It is my theory that less coverage of FCS (1-AA) playoffs is the best thing for the FBS (less controversy) about them moving to a playoff system! In the past Networks like Fox Sports and Altitude (out west) have covered early round playoff games. So now we have ESPN3 with much less viewership around the country. So with less sports fans watching the playoffs Mission Accomplished by the Big Boys! Just my 2 cents!

Isn't ESPN losing $$$ from new or old sponsors if these games were NOT on ESPN U or ESPN 2? I just don't get why these need to keep these games only on the internet that is NOT available to everyone.

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I got one word for that... Boise State

I think you meant Broncos. Boise State is 2 words. Sheesh, sure hope you didn't pay money for your education. You cannot even count.

That is just like saying 21/3 = 6.93

GridCaptain
November 25th, 2011, 08:04 PM
You may not like the fact that an overwhelming majority of the schools that have moved from FCS to FBS have failed but that is simply a fact. Ask the folks at Western Kentucky how they like going from a title winning team in FCS to the nation's longest FBS losing streak. It's a fact, like it or not. List out the last 10 schools to make the jump and show me a majority of these schools who are winning at a high margin and going to bowls.

alvinkayak6
November 25th, 2011, 09:27 PM
It's part of ESPN's overall strategy. They want to charge providers an arm and a leg for ESPN3, and the best way to do that is if you are all angry about games not being shown because they are on ESPN3. They don't care about you, they only care about their marketing strategy and increasing the cost of ESPN to providers everywhere. Shouldn't be a surprise E$PN is behaving like this.

Squealofthepig
November 25th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Y'all are doing it wrong. You don't gripe to espn, you threaten to boycott Disney - you know, the people that own espn.

(I'd complain if I didn't already have tickets in the north end zone next Saturday - Go Griz!)

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Again, you must live in a cave if you think that Congress should prioritize FCS Football Broadcast Outlets in Montana and the Dakotas over, say, getting our Economy back on track. Here is some basic US History; Combined the Dakotas and Montana have 9 electoral votes. http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/electorl.htm Georgia has 15, which is 66% more than you. To make it really clear, if everyone in these three states decided to never buy another Mickey Mouse hat, DVD of Aladdin, or have your annual family reunion at a Disney theme park the collective economic impact would not total the Disney CEO's bar tab on July 4th. Face it, you will be watching your FCS playoff games on ESPN3 or you will be listening to them on NDSU, Montana, or MSU radio.

PhillyApp1
November 26th, 2011, 07:20 AM
You are still an A-hole....probibly won't change.

You will go away, like most things like you.

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 07:22 AM
You just hate that your position is weak. Why hate me? But go ahead, let your hate burn in your gut, get an ulcer, and all worked up about something you cannot change. You make me laugh.

MplsBison
November 26th, 2011, 01:23 PM
It is a catch 22 for me. If ESPN wants to get more people watching the FCS playoffs then stop doing absolutely NOTHING to promote them! If they touted the playoffs as much as they do any other bowel game they televise they may up their ratings and make more money putting the broadcasts on. ESPN3 seems to me to be a low cost way to get out those "annoying" programs that they have to do but don't really want to and keep another replay of the WSOP or high school basketball.

Sadly, I disagree with you here. The only people watch FCS playoff games are alumni of the schools playing - most of which are small schools with alumni bases a fraction of the size of Big 10, SEC, ACC, Pac 12 and Big XII schools.

Very few casual viewers are going to watch "minor league college football" on TV.

It's really no different than DII or DIII.

Vilsack
November 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM
The AT&T trick no longer works. The loophole was closed. :( Going through the list of ISPs, they all are password protected and only verified subscribers can access the site.

ESPN might surprise and do the right thing at the last minute and let local stations carry the game(s), but I'm used to getting jerked around by the NC$$ and the Mothership from my days with college hockey. Disney wants major providers to sign up for ESPN3 access so I doubt they will cave to anyone. DirecTV kept Versus off the air for months all while subscribers screamed. ESPN/Disney isn't going to care either. The GamePlan idea is feasible, but that's just a one-time injection of cash - they'd rather have a guaranteed revenue stream that will still be paying dividends years from now.

GrizBowl
November 26th, 2011, 06:40 PM
3 points:

Not all of us want to pirate telecastsxsmhx; a legal solution is needed.

GrizBowl
November 26th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Lots of respect is being gained for NDSU fans in this thread.

Much agreed

GrizBowl
November 26th, 2011, 06:57 PM
My guess is you are an ESPN employee ;-)
And as long as ESPN loves APP State i will not berate them.

BUT, You are FULL of ESPN BULLSH**.
AND "F" the NCAA also.

The NEW BCS will tell the NCAA to go to hell.
ESPN will always do what is best for ESPN, even if they don't know diddy about sports outside the northeast.

We need more FOX SPORTS!!!!!!!!!

And relax, i thought i would throw some sh** at you.

Agreed, anything to put a limit on the damage done by the sports coverage monopoly