PDA

View Full Version : Payton Favorite?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Does Bo Levi Mitchell have it on lockdown?

318/503 (63%), 33 TDs/13 INTs 4009yds

Mitchell is the 4th player in Big Sky Conference history to pass for over 4000 yards in only 11 games... the other 3 all won the Payton. Erik Meyer passed for over 4000 in 13 games in 2005, and still won the Payton.

The only other real contender IMO is Towson's Terrance West who has an astonishing 27 TDs on the ground in only 10 games.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
I don't know honestly.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Lehigh's Chris Lum is close to BLM's numbers, but Mitchell still has better ones.

297/443 (67%), 31 TDs/15 INTs 3739yds

LUHawker
November 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM
Lehigh's Chris Lum is close to BLM's numbers, but Mitchell still has better ones.

Yes, but Lum led his team to a 10-1 record, Bo did not. Moreover, Lehigh could have easily padded Lum's stats throughout the year, as most games were in hand by the end of the third quarter. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
Yes, but Lum led his team to a 10-1 record, Bo did not. Moreover, Lehigh could have easily padded Lum's stats throughout the year, as most games were in hand by the end of the third quarter. Stats don't tell the whole story.

10-1 in a weaker conference. Also, QBs don't play defense. There's only so much a QB can do. But you're right about stats not telling the whole story... BLM didn't have much of a run game to rely on to keep defenses honest. He was throwing into tight coverage most of the time.

Grizcountry420
November 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
I'd give it to him. He's one hell of a player!

LUHawker
November 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
10-1 in a weaker conference. Also, QBs don't play defense. There's only so much a QB can do. But you're right about stats not telling the whole story... BLM didn't have much of a run game to rely on to keep defenses honest. He was throwing into tight coverage most of the time.

Sounds to me like you are providing lots of crutches. If he didn't have much of a running game to work with, that suggests that EWU was reliant on the passing game and this is a major reason for the guady stats. No doubt the kid is talented and should be part of the conversation.

Personally, I'm not sure who I'd pick as the field of candidates is quite good.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
Sounds to me like you are providing lots of crutches. If he didn't have much of a running game to work with, that suggests that EWU was reliant on the passing game and this is a major reason for the guady stats. No doubt the kid is talented and should be part of the conversation.

Personally, I'm not sure who I'd pick as the field of candidates is quite good.

No, just looking at the complete picture and taking into account everything the voters will look at. Last year's comeback from down 0-19 late 3rd in the NC game certainly won't hurt him.

UNHFootballAlum
November 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
I think that it comes down to Mitchell, Lum & West with Lum winning it. That 0-4 start for EWU will hurt Mitchell. They were behing in all of those games and Mitchell had to throw to try to get them back into those games.

Engineer86
November 22nd, 2011, 06:56 PM
Lum had something like 24 TDs in the first six games ( or something close to that) and really tailed off at the end of the year. No TDs versus HC and 1 against Lafayette late in the year. They tail off may hurt him.

veinup
November 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
i'll give it to the most country-*** named man ever, mr. BO LEVI MITCHELL.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
Watch that South Dakota game again and tell me Bo Levi deserves it over Lum... xlolx

theasushow
November 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
when was the last time a payton winner was on a team that didnt contend?

JSUBison
November 22nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Shakir Bell maybe? Not a lot of names jumping out at me this year for some reason.

bojeta
November 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
No, just looking at the complete picture and taking into account everything the voters will look at. Last year's comeback from down 0-19 late 3rd in the NC game certainly won't hurt him.

Bo Levi is not only the real deal... He has proven in both a winning season (National Champs) and a 6-5 season. Apparently he can handle both quite well. His poise is as remarkable as his stats.

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
Watch that South Dakota game again and tell me Bo Levi deserves it over Lum... xlolx

You're right... Lum was flawless in every single game this season. The 15 interceptions were all tipped balls I bet.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2011, 09:06 PM
it is not even close

Lum's stats are mostly for only about 3 quarters per game since Lehigh was ahead signficantly in most of its games....

Lehigh QB Chris Lum will be the Payton Award winner this year...

but hey,

Levi Bo Mitchell does have a cooler name

Lum's stats are also against the Patriot... xlolx

TwoFeathers
November 22nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Does Bo Levi Mitchell have it on lockdown?

318/503 (63%), 33 TDs/13 INTs 4009yds

Mitchell is the 4th player in Big Sky Conference history to pass for over 4000 yards in only 11 games... the other 3 all won the Payton. Erik Meyer passed for over 4000 in 13 games in 2005, and still won the Payton.

The only other real contender IMO is Towson's Terrance West who has an astonishing 27 TDs on the ground in only 10 games.

I'm going to assume you bumped your head, and woke up after you wrote this post. If Bo Levi didn't win last year, I don't see him in the top 5 this year. West is a good choice, but I think he needs another year.

TwoFeathers
November 22nd, 2011, 09:26 PM

Exactly... This is the reason Grimes has no real shot after a historic CAA year and career.

TwoFeathers
November 22nd, 2011, 09:28 PM

Forgot about another important number... wins.

MTfan4life
November 22nd, 2011, 09:58 PM

I don't like the 15 interceptions. A player most often gets interceptions when he is pressing or coming from behind. If Lehigh was in control of every game, why is his completion percentage under 70 and interception total so high? That's what throws me off him. If he had more accuracy, he'd be a near unanimous favorite. But his turnover numbers are far too high for a quarterback on a 10-1 team with such large winning margins.

clearthinker
November 22nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
oh, ok

so ranked teams such as UNH and Liberty are in the Patriot League?

I am a UNH fan--so I have no bias ----just the facts

According to NCAA stats Lum for all his games this year had a passing rating of 154.26 while his rating against UNH and Lberty was 157.71

Against UNH and Liberty-----Lum was 46/76 (60%) for 684 yds---8 tds and 5 ints

Hope this moves the argument down the road

whoanellie
November 22nd, 2011, 10:42 PM
Elon's Aaron Mellette did finish ranked #1 in receptions, and yards per game breaking one Terrell Hudgins single season records. pretty impressive when every defensive Coordinator's #1
goal was to stop him. 113 catches, 1639 yds and 12 TD's Is not too shabby. I believe he deserves serious consideration

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 12:40 AM

In spades. Lum played less than 4 or 5 fourth quarters this year. Had his team been behind or in a tight situation in those games, as EWU was in many, he'd have added another 500-600 yards. Plus, as noted. The record of a team will have an impact, i.e. how did the player's contribution help the team achieve. I think Lum will be right there with Mitchell and West, and West being only a freshman, may hurt his chances.

Squealofthepig
November 23rd, 2011, 03:23 AM
[/B]

In spades. Lum played less than 4 or 5 fourth quarters this year. Had his team been behind or in a tight situation in those games, as EWU was in many, he'd have added another 500-600 yards.

This really underlines his interception numbers in my mind. There were two or three QB's with more picks in FCS, and to have this many in the Patriot League makes me look at his overall barely-top-ten-QB rating. "We took him out when the game was well in hand." Well, does that speak to your defense, or to Lum? I'd say it speaks to your defense; if Lum had been in all four quarters of every game, he probably would have led the FCS in total interceptions. Plus, how do we know how well Lum plays with the game in doubt? I'd look to UNH for that... except that he was picked three times in that loss.

DJKyR0
November 23rd, 2011, 04:57 AM
MT, you do understand how ridiculous your bolded statement above is, don't you?

how ridiculous?

NONE OF THE FCS TOP 50 QB'S HAD A 70% OR GREATER COMPLETION PERCENTAGE

NONE!

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-indpasseff.htm

Brock Jensen is about two passes shy of the 70% mark and was at 74% post-UNI. Nasty turf toe messed with his throwing motion and thus brought his stats down with a more pedestrian 50% game vs. Youngstown St. but...well, yeah. Carry on.

MTfan4life
November 23rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
If Lum played so few quarters, then his Interception total is awful! Played 4 or 5 fourth quarters with his team dominating, but he threw 15 picks? Only two quarterbacks from teams with winning records threw more picks. A 6-5 Stephen F Austin and 7-4 Jacksonville. Bo Levi Mitchell played "every fourth quarter", he threw 60 more passes than Lum, his team had no running game whatsoever, but he still had less picks than 10-1 Lehigh's Lum.
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2011&div=C&rpt=IAA_playerpasseff&site=org

andy7171
November 23rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Several things...

1- West won't win because he's a freshamn.

2- All this talk of Lum only playing 3 quarters due to the score, makes me think Lehighs's #1 rush defense is over inflated.

3- I give it to Grimes, the combination of RB and Special Teams play is what won the Payton award for Dave Meggett at Towson.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Several things...

1- West won't win because he's a freshamn.

2- All this talk of Lum only playing 3 quarters due to the score, makes me think Lehighs's #1 rush defense is over inflated.

3- I give it to Grimes, the combination of RB and Special Teams play is what won the Payton award for Dave Meggett at Towson.

Andy dont understand #2

andy7171
November 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Andy dont understand #2

Well if Lehigh is up by so much, enough to pull Lum eary in the 4th. What exactly is the other team doing to catch up? Running or Passing?

RichH2
November 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
OK, to a point, LU stopped run regardless of quarter. Q really is can we stop West? Probably not. We can try to limit his touches by keeping the ball . On our side, saw Maine's 11 in the box D. I guarantee we wont do that. Would rather give up some 8-10 runs and no 40 yd runs. Of course I would also like to be 25 again.

andy7171
November 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
OK, to a point, LU stopped run regardless of quarter. Q really is can we stop West? Probably not. We can try to limit his touches by keeping the ball . On our side, saw Maine's 11 in the box D. I guarantee we wont do that. Would rather give up some 8-10 runs and no 40 yd runs. Of course I would also like to be 25 again.

URI shut West down by putting 10 in the box when he was in the game. We have a full stable of RBs. And as far as I know, Dameron is the one who actually starts the game at RB, not West.

UNHFootballAlum
November 23rd, 2011, 01:15 PM

Jayson Foster. I don't think that that GSU contended

UNHFootballAlum
November 23rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
oh, ok thanks

so in summary, Lum had better passing ratings against the two ranked teams that Lehigh played than the average of all the other teams that Lehigh played

good stuff

But he also had a far worse completion %

UNHFootballAlum
November 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
I would have given the award to Kevin Decker until his last 2 games where he had 7 TO's. He was completing 70% of his passes and combined for more than 30 TD's, passing for 3000 and rushing for 400 yards. His decision making in the last 2 games really hurt him fro this award.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
This really underlines his interception numbers in my mind. There were two or three QB's with more picks in FCS, and to have this many in the Patriot League makes me look at his overall barely-top-ten-QB rating. "We took him out when the game was well in hand." Well, does that speak to your defense, or to Lum? I'd say it speaks to your defense; if Lum had been in all four quarters of every game, he probably would have led the FCS in total interceptions. Plus, how do we know how well Lum plays with the game in doubt? I'd look to UNH for that... except that he was picked three times in that loss.

He brought Lehigh back from a 38-21 deficit to take the lead in the fourth quarter. UNH kicked a FG in the last minute to send it into OT. If you throw the ball 40-50 times, you're going to get picked every now and then...and several not the fault of the QB (wrong route, deflection off the hands of receiver). His ability to bring back Lehigh in that game showed what he is made of. Interceptions do not bother the great QB's in the NFL..They come right back and keep firing.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 23rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
oh, ok thanks

so in summary, Lum had better passing ratings against the two ranked teams that Lehigh played than the average of all the other teams that Lehigh played

good stuff

So in summary he threw a disproportionate number of his picks against the only two good teams he's played. Liberty is overrated, and UNH is 3rd in a down CAA.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 23rd, 2011, 05:09 PM
I'm going to assume you bumped your head, and woke up after you wrote this post. If Bo Levi didn't win last year, I don't see him in the top 5 this year. West is a good choice, but I think he needs another year.

You don't see BLM in the top 5 this year, despite the numbers he put up? Haha, oh wow.

boonegoon
November 23rd, 2011, 05:10 PM
oh, ok

so ranked teams such as UNH and Liberty are in the Patriot League?

Let's be fair. He threw 5 ints in those games and one was a loss.

eagle1
November 23rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Bo Levi Mitchell+4,009 yards=Payton Award

http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/photos/0002/11fbwaMitchellBoLevi6262a.jpg?max_width=415

AppRolls
November 23rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
You can't claim that the PL is good competition and then mention that Lum hardly ever had to play the 4th Q.

Can't have it both ways.

theasushow
November 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM
the above post would be accurate. and i am appalled that nobody mentioned this before. (including me)

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
That's one way to look at it. The other is that Lehigh was just that much better this year. Indeed a superlative year. Last year, most picked Lehigh to finish second in the League and they ran the table, but by modest margins of victory. This year, barely favored in the preseason poll, Lehigh ran away with the title. Year after year, the PL has almost always been a dogfight among three or four teams. This year was an exception...but is it due to the entire League being down, or just that Lehigh has had one of those years when both offense and defense have coalesced for a magical run? We really don't know the answer to that yet, but will find out in about 10 days.

GridCaptain
November 26th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Decker from UNH is the best FCS offensive player in the nation and should win the Payton unless geography kills his votes. Not many votes in NH or the Northeast. Regionalization will compromise what is right on this award.

Fort from UNI is the best overall FCS player and will win the Buchanan and may tackle 405 guys on the way to the podium.

Fritz will win the Robinson Award as his team went undefeated.

West from Towson will win the Rice Award as that kid was just sick with 27 TD over the 10 games he played.

Screamin_Eagle174
January 6th, 2012, 10:02 PM
it is not even close

Lum's stats are mostly for only about 3 quarters per game since Lehigh was ahead signficantly in most of its games....

Lehigh QB Chris Lum will be the Payton Award winner this year...

but hey,

Levi Bo Mitchell does have a cooler name

xlolx Well, you were right about that!