PDA

View Full Version : Cent. Ark vs. TTU

fencer24
November 22nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
Does anyone care? Is there no one on AGS to represent?

Bearkat-Backer
November 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
I care, but not enough to start a thread. I am picking UCA in this one. Too bad they didn't get a chance to show off their ugly new turf though. :D

Sam_Kats
November 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
I also care - GO BEARS!!

TTUEagles
November 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
We've been talking some about this, just not on a specific thread.
I'll start - talking about TTU:
Newly named OVC player of the year Tim Benford, WR, headlines the offense - he's received plenty of NFL attention and is a fantastic WR - the "go-to" guy. QB is good, very fast, hard to sack, runs well despite some fumble problems...He throws the ball well, too, despite only being 5'9". A stable of 4 very good running backs, headed by Dontey Gay who got 1,002 yards in only 10 game this year. Adam Urbano (GA Southern Transfer) is the "lightning" of the thunder and lighting tandem. Zack Zigler (A-Back) is the other skill guy who can catch, run, throw and block very well. Veteran O-line that actually goes 2-deep in terms of starting experience.
Defense has good pass rushers at the ends, but, is undersized and inexperienced along the interior. Linebackers can be "run over" at times and secondary is young (due to injuries this year) - can be prone to giving up the pass yards...FS is the leading tackler - not good. THat last point leads me to fear the UCA game - I think we can "hang" with all but about 10 or so FCS teams - but, we aren't going to blow many people out. IF TTU can win this one, it's going to be close.
TTU tries to use it's offense to it's advantage -billing the team as "The fastest 60 minutes in football" (eyes rolling) trying to get off as many plays as possible.
True freshman placekicker; Oregon St. transfer kicks off very well and an NFL-caliber punter really help.

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
It's a play-in game....as we've been told...so why would we start a thread about it? xeyebrowx Not every team starts a thread about every game they are going to play...unlike some team fans...xcoolx xlolx

Bearkat-Backer
November 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
It's a play-in game....as we've been told...so why would we start a thread about it? xeyebrowx Not every team starts a thread about every game they are going to play...unlike some team fans...xcoolx xlolx

I am sure there is a thread about it on UCAFans.com. Play-in game or not, it's the playoffs!

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
We've got Montana fans visiting the Fans board already ready to host the Bears.....love the enthusiasm but let's get the first game played. xlolx

kfkolonel
November 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Here's an EKU fan that will testify that Dontay Gay is for real. Don't let him past your line. Overall, I'd say that TTU is a very balanced team--pretty good at everything, with a very good kicking game.

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
We've got Montana fans visiting the Fans board already ready to host the Bears.....love the enthusiasm but let's get the first game played. xlolx

It's that whole ursine thing - we'd love to play Maine again too! :)

Do the Golden Eagles have a fanboard? UCA has one at http://www.ucafans.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=8d2dfdbc23e2e27e605892c674cd7413

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Where is this game being played?

Initial response is UCA will win, but the Southland didn't seem up to par this year. Not much happened below the top two teams. Look forward to watching all 4 on Saturday.

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Where is this game being played?

At EKU (Richmond, Kentucky). You can always do a quick check on the playoffs with the ad in the banner (ursus has the bracket linked up there, look for the the newspaper/crier boy bathed in red).

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
UCA and TTU are playing at EKU? P.S.-I'm lazy

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
I see it is at TTU. I figured UCA would host.

Bearkat-Backer
November 22nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
At EKU (Richmond, Kentucky). You can always do a quick check on the playoffs with the ad in the banner (ursus has the bracket linked up there, look for the the newspaper/crier boy bathed in red).

Wrong game. This one is at TTU.

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
UCA and TTU are playing at EKU? P.S.-I'm lazy

Wow. That's gotta be my most ridiculous brainfart in a long, long time. Apologies to all!

fencer24
November 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Central Arkansas' fan board had some useful information, and I have to apologize that either Game Plan wasn't showing the teams listed or I just overlooked them. But TTU statistics look pretty good.
I know it's the Southland vs. OVC, how often do they meet normally?

Dallas Demon
November 22nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
One point of comparison, SFA lost to UNI this year 34-23 while Central Arkansas beat SFA 38-28. The UNI game was in Nacogdoches while the Central Arkansas game was in Conway.

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 05:38 PM
UCA played two OVC teams last year and won both. But have never played TTU as far as I know about. Should be interesting to see if things "click" for both offenses.

veinup
November 22nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
this will be streamed on the internet somewhere, correct? i am interested.

TTUEagles
November 22nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
It's that whole ursine thing - we'd love to play Maine again too! :)

Do the Golden Eagles have a fanboard? UCA has one at http://www.ucafans.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=8d2dfdbc23e2e27e605892c674cd7413

Nope...

TTUEagles
November 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Here's an EKU fan that will testify that Dontay Gay is for real. Don't let him past your line. Overall, I'd say that TTU is a very balanced team--pretty good at everything, with a very good kicking game.

The Lexington, KY native has been a force for us...has taken over this year after Urbano got hurt. Both were expected to split equal time. We also have a former rivals.com 4-star RB, Bud Golden - a U of Illinois transfer....He returns KO's but, hasn't ran the ball all that much...

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Nice. Players to watch for Saturday. xthumbsupx

TTUEagles
November 24th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Supposed to be a very windy day Saturday. It will be the third straight game TTU has played in with > 10 mph winds. TTU says that UCA prefers to throw - that this doesn't match up well with TTU (didn't fare well against pass-first teams) - and the weather could be in TTU's favor (prefers to run-first)...

JoshUCA
November 24th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Saturday can't get here fast enough! This should be a great game against two eager teams! Go Bears!

BEAR
November 24th, 2011, 03:08 PM
7 hour drive from Conway down one of the longest most boring stretches of I-40. Darn Tennessee is the LOOOOOOOONGEST freakin' road trip. Takes a day just to get from one end to the other! But I'll be there! Go Bears!

lionsrking2
November 24th, 2011, 03:27 PM
One point of comparison, SFA lost to UNI this year 34-23 while Central Arkansas beat SFA 38-28. The UNI game was in Nacogdoches while the Central Arkansas game was in Conway.

I would throw any comparison to SFA out the window, especially games they played early in the year ... we played them late and I thought they were the most talented team we saw all year outside of Southern Miss ... I know Attaway struggled early and they turned the ball over a ton, but they were a different team down the stretch.

As for UCA, they have a huge home field advantage, not because of the colors of the turf, but the fact it's the worst surface we've ever played on as far as footing is concerned - much worse than McNeese which is pretty bad also ... if you don't have the right cleats, and don't have backups, you're screwed ... it's like playing on an ice rink.

eaglewraith
November 24th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I bet Adam Urbano was glad that TTU got put on the other side of the bracket. There's some bad blood from when he left the team....and I'm sure he wouldn't want to face that history in the confines of Paulson.

However, it's still not a foregone conclusion the matchup won't happen...so for his sake I hope UCA wins.

BEAR
November 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I would throw any comparison to SFA out the window, especially games they played early in the year ... we played them late and I thought they were the most talented team we saw all year outside of Southern Miss ... I know Attaway struggled early and they turned the ball over a ton, but they were a different team down the stretch.

As for UCA, they have a huge home field advantage, not because of the colors of the turf, but the fact it's the worst surface we've ever played on as far as footing is concerned - much worse than McNeese which is pretty bad also ... if you don't have the right cleats, and don't have backups, you're screwed ... it's like playing on an ice rink.

Hey, the field is brand new. You can't expect the field to have any kind of grip on it when the Bears played so many away games early in the year. It's got to have a little play on it before it's useful. Give it time. Besides, I didn't see any of the Bears having problems scoring 50+ points on it against the lions. xlolx Just kidding!

Dallas Demon
November 24th, 2011, 07:47 PM

SFA was definitely on fire at the end of the season.