PDA

View Full Version : Savannah St Receives Three Years Probation

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Various infractions, including those for recruiting and a lack of institutional control have put Savannah St on probation. Not good timing as SSU makes an attempt to get into the MEAC...

Savannah State placed on three years' probation
ESPN.com news services

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA has placed Savannah State University on probation for three years, restricted expenses-paid visits for its football team and adopted school-imposed sanctions for rules infractions by the school's football program.

The case centers on findings of unethical conduct against a former assistant football coach, recruiting violations. practice violations and benefits violations, as well as a finding of lack of institutional control.

According to the NCAA, the former assistant, who was not named in the report, committed several infractions during the summer of 2004, including providing lodging, meals and transportation to prospective students before they had enrolled and encouraging a player and several prospective players to purchase and use NCAA-banned substances.

It was the second finding of lack of institutional control against Savannah State in a decade. The first, in 1998, came when the school was playing Division II football. The Bulldogs have since moved up to Division I-AA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2451357

Blue
May 19th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Savannah State Bulldogs?

May 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Savannah State Bulldogs?DING! DING!

Another ESPN mistake referring to a I-AA squad. :nonono2:

Correct NCAA release: http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=78579

Kill'em
May 20th, 2006, 12:10 AM
This all started around a huge steroid scandal about three years ago. I can't remember all the involved parties but I believe it involved one of the trainers and some of assistant coaches from the staff previous to Richard Basil. I wonder if this has anything to do with why he left.

NoCoDanny
May 20th, 2006, 03:02 PM
They can kiss the MEAC goodbye then. That could lead to a downward spiral that I could see resulting in a drop back to D-II.

Catmendue2
May 20th, 2006, 03:11 PM
They can kiss the MEAC goodbye then. That could lead to a downward spiral that I could see resulting in a drop back to D-II.

I suspect the MEAC was aware all along of these impending sanctions.

TexasTerror
May 20th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Nothing new for SSU according to this article...

SSU's new trouble nothing new

Tim Guidera

Savannah State's new football coach can't be happy to have inherited problems somebody else created.

Students, athletes, alumni and fans have to be fed up that issues continue to arise no matter what changes are made in the athletic department.

But you know who has to be most frustrated about the NCAA's announcement Friday that SSU football has been placed on three years' probation because, among other listed violations, a former assistant coach encouraged a player and recruits to use steroids?

Anybody who might be trying to figure out how Savannah State keeps getting itself into these situations and how to correct them.

Forget the horrendous records in practically every sport.

This is the second time in eight years that the football program has been placed on probation. The men's basketball team self-reported infractions, including playing an ineligible player, two years ago.

That's a pretty poor 1-2 punch from the school's biggest programs, which have also had nine different coaches between them since 2000.

http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/051906/3898782.shtml&cid=1106669533

Very interesting part of the article below...

Because, what do you take from the program that doesn't have anything?

Do you reduce scholarships?

The school doesn't come close to extending the maximum number allowed at the Division I-AA level as it is. Might as well restrict luxury box sales at T.A. Wright Stadium, too.

Do you limit the length of spring practice?

Well, that wouldn't have been much of a factor this year. After Richard Basil resigned, the school dismissed any assistant who might have been capable of running a football practice in an emergency, so the spring session was simply canceled.

eaglesrthe1
May 20th, 2006, 04:03 PM
It's like the keystone cops are running the show. The program hasn't gone anywhere since Bill Davis passed.

RabidRabbit
May 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM
How close are we to losing SSU prior to the 2006 fb season?

Kill'em
May 20th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Another article in the same edition of the SMN said:
"In both the 1998 case and the current case, the NCAA found that SSU staff members misunderstood NCAA rules and the institution did not have an adequate compliance program in place to monitor the activities of the coaching staff."
This is really sad.

Blueandwhitefightfight
May 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
To further compound the problem, nobody in Savannah really even cares. They care about Georgia Southern, especially since VanGorder showed up and he has began talking about jumping to I-A, UGA, or GT.

Savannah St. is in the ghetto of Savannah and has a lot more problems than their athletics. The crime rate is through the roof, I wouldn't go to some parts of their campus in broad daylight. Their academics are nearly as horrendous as their sports records. It really just isn't a good situation.

nlwwln
May 20th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I think we all saw this coming but in my opinion i think somebody should cut SSU a break and give them an oppritunity to get back up on their feet. How can you expect a new coach to come in and make any progress when he gets the book thrown at him after only a couple months on the job and it didnt even happen on his watch. maybe im a little to forgiving but cmon somebodys gotta cut these guys a break, dont they?

Kill'em
May 21st, 2006, 05:32 AM
I have very strong feelings about this mess but I do not want this thread to go that direction so I will keep them to myself.

TexasTerror
May 21st, 2006, 07:16 AM
Some questions and concerns by players about the possibility of the MEAC turning down SSU...

SSU football players react to probation
Noell Barnidge

The one thing Savannah State football players agreed upon Saturday was that they are relieved the NCAA's 19-month investigation of the program is finished.

The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions on Friday found SSU guilty of major violations in recruiting, playing and practice seasons, financial aid, ethical conduct and institutional control. As a result, SSU was placed on three years' probation.

A number of SSU players said the punishment, which includes the loss of 36 practices through spring 2007, is "harsh" and will hurt future seasons and recruiting efforts.

Some expressed relief, saying the punishment "could have been worse."

Others said they were shocked because they were unaware SSU was still under investigation, and did not realize the severity of the major violations.

http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/052006/3900372.shtml&cid=0

bosshogg
May 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM
I think we all saw this coming but in my opinion i think somebody should cut SSU a break and give them an oppritunity to get back up on their feet. How can you expect a new coach to come in and make any progress when he gets the book thrown at him after only a couple months on the job and it didnt even happen on his watch. maybe im a little to forgiving but cmon somebodys gotta cut these guys a break, dont they?

if someone should "cut them a break" then I vote for your conference:hurray:

nlwwln
May 21st, 2006, 03:03 PM
all im saying is how long till people stop slamming the door on these guys, it just seems like theyve been on an up hill battle ever since they moved to 1aa. they probably really werent prepared for the move and perhaps the best idea for them would be to find a home in SIAC conference of D2

Kill'em
May 21st, 2006, 09:41 PM
Yes, they were not prepared to move to D-I. It was a huge mistake because they do not have the finances, or any other support to be competitive and their administration is inept. Hopefully the new head coach will bring stability to the program. Their basketball coach, Horace Brodnax, just signed some good recruits so if the football coach can restore order then maybe in a few years SSC will be more competitive.

SSC was in the SIAC before they moved to D-I. I think they should have stayed there.

HIU 93
May 22nd, 2006, 07:22 AM
To further compound the problem, nobody in Savannah really even cares. They care about Georgia Southern, especially since VanGorder showed up and he has began talking about jumping to I-A, UGA, or GT.

Savannah St. is in the ghetto of Savannah and has a lot more problems than their athletics. The crime rate is through the roof, I wouldn't go to some parts of their campus in broad daylight. Their academics are nearly as horrendous as their sports records. It really just isn't a good situation.

"The Ghetto" huh? You know, I'm really sick of the reference to everything Black as "the ghetto". For the record, "ghetto" is a German word that was coined to give name to the "towns" that the Nazis confined German Jews to during WWII. It has nothing to do with Black folk. I have been to Savannah State numerous times. I have not noticed that the school is in "the ghetto", nor did the neighborhood seem extremely run-down. It is in a working class Black neighborhood, as most HBCUs are, especially state run HBCUs. Where was the state of Georgia going to put an HBCU during the heart of segregation, beside the Hamilton Turner House or the Mulberry Inn? Absolutely not. They were going to put it in the Black neighborhood.

HIU 93
May 22nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Yes, they were not prepared to move to D-I. It was a huge mistake because they do not have the finances, or any other support to be competitive and their administration is inept. Hopefully the new head coach will bring stability to the program. Their basketball coach, Horace Brodnax, just signed some good recruits so if the football coach can restore order then maybe in a few years SSC will be more competitive.

SSC was in the SIAC before they moved to D-I. I think they should have stayed there.

Inept administration? I beg to differ with you. Carlton Brown is a good president. He may not have the support system in place to make his vision come into fruition, but he cannot act completely independently. Savannah State is just that- a STATE school. President Brown has to do what the state asks of him and funds him to do. If you want Savannah State to improve, then demand the State of Georgia fund and equip all state schools equally.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
If you want Savannah State to improve, then demand the State of Georgia fund and equip all state schools equally.

If this is to happen, then that means that little public school in Athens (can't recall its name) would take a tremendous state funding hit and we know that won't happen so we know the state won't fund and equip Savannah State equally.

ButlerGSU
May 22nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
If this is to happen, then that means that little public school in Athens (can't recall its name) would take a tremendous state funding hit and we know that won't happen so we know the state won't fund and equip Savannah State equally.

Of course not, our little school here in Athens has 34,000+ students and does research world wide. Savannah State has roughly 2,000 students and does no research. State funding is equal to need but UGA alumni give more back than Savannah State Alumni. Just as GSU alumni give more than SSU alumni. Sue them.

SU Jag
May 22nd, 2006, 05:10 PM
They need to go back to the SIAC and even then they would finish near the bottom of the Conference!:nod: Sad, very sad!

gophoenix
May 23rd, 2006, 02:44 PM
For the record, "ghetto" is a German word that was coined to give name to the "towns" that the Nazis confined German Jews to during WWII

Actually it was for Jews in general as there were ghettos in Poland, Czech, Austria and Hungary.

It has nothing to do with Black folk.
Definately not, but the term has been adopted by certains types of people living in certains parts of the US and is used a lot in hip-hop music.

It is in a working class Black neighborhood
I've been to SSU, and that's exactly what I'd call the area. The area isn't run down, it doesn't seem dangerous, it isn't urban housing. It's just a working class area that is dominated by one race (like many other working class areas dominated by one race).

You make some good points HIU 93.

Sly Fox
May 23rd, 2006, 03:11 PM

Surely this isn't a TSU fan talking about handling state funds.

:smiley_wi

Seriously, funding is just one of a litany of problems the school is enduring. Much like some other poorly run programs across the country, it can take a L O N G time to get a house in order. And frankly, SSU hasn't shown much progress at all in a number of years. But that doesn't mean it can't begin to lay the foundation. I for one would love to see them build something nice in Savannah.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM

I expected such a comment as your's about my alma mater, I just assumed it would have come much earlier.

Let me just use this analogy:

Two cars are traveling on the same interstate.
Car A is traveling at 95 MPH while passing police.
Car B is traveling at 75 MPH while passing police.
The speed limit is 65 MPH.
Police decides to pull over Car B and tickets him for speeding.
Car A is not pulled over and ticketed.
Is Car A not guilty of speeding just because the police didn't stop him to ticket him?

Panther88
May 23rd, 2006, 04:03 PM

:smiley_wi

Seriously, funding is just one of a litany of problems the school is enduring. Much like some other poorly run programs across the country, it can take a L O N G time to get a house in order. And frankly, SSU hasn't shown much progress at all in a number of years. But that doesn't mean it can't begin to lay the foundation. I for one would love to see them build something nice in Savannah.

lol@SlyFox. Good one. :smiley_wi But I don't think that this particular "TSU fan" had anything to do w/ $$$ misappropriations @ TSU. :smiley_wi

Carry on. I'm enjoying this. :D

3rd Coast Tiger
May 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
lol@SlyFox. Good one. :smiley_wi But I don't think that this particular "TSU fan" had anything to do w/ $$$ misappropriations @ TSU. :smiley_wi

Carry on. I'm enjoying this. :D

If you want to be correct, it was a Mississippi State alum.

Panther88
May 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
If you want to be correct, it was a Mississippi State alum.

Seriously. And UT alum. :doh: One has nothing to do w/ the other so I didn't quite understand the connectivity. If it was for a sarcastic laugh, I got that. Otherwise, I'm :confused: .

Kill'em
May 23rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Inept administration? I beg to differ with you. Carlton Brown is a good president. He may not have the support system in place to make his vision come into fruition, but he cannot act completely independently. Savannah State is just that- a STATE school. President Brown has to do what the state asks of him and funds him to do. If you want Savannah State to improve, then demand the State of Georgia fund and equip all state schools equally.
The problem is the school isn't progressing enough to keep up with the rest of the world. The Savannah College of Art and Design has done so much to rebuild downtown Savannah. The area was becoming dominated by gang activity and became really rundown. SCAD has come in and bought so many of the buildings and restored them, mostly as OJT for their students.Savannah St does little, if anything for the Savannah area. Their biggest claim-to-fame is the "Orange Crush."
This is Brown's fault. He needs to get the school more acively involved in the community.

Sly Fox
May 23rd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Considering all of the recent TSU news here in Houston, I thought I'd drop a little levity into this discussion. Seriously, I'm cool with the Tigers (and Panthers for that matter). My only question is whether or not PVU will be able to pull off the shocker at Reckling Park next week like the Tigers did a couple years back.

As for SSU, you get the feeling that the MEAC might take pity on their predicament and bring them in to help them get back on track.

R.A.
May 24th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Of course not, our little school here in Athens has 34,000+ students and does research world wide. Savannah State has roughly 2,000 students and does no research. State funding is equal to need but UGA alumni give more back than Savannah State Alumni. Just as GSU alumni give more than SSU alumni. Sue them.

-No Research?

HIU 93
May 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I agree 100%.

HIU 93
May 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM
The problem is the school isn't progressing enough to keep up with the rest of the world. The Savannah College of Art and Design has done so much to rebuild downtown Savannah. The area was becoming dominated by gang activity and became really rundown. SCAD has come in and bought so many of the buildings and restored them, mostly as OJT for their students.Savannah St does little, if anything for the Savannah area. Their biggest claim-to-fame is the "Orange Crush."
This is Brown's fault. He needs to get the school more acively involved in the community.

Point 1- SCAD is private, SSU is public. SCAD can do things SSU can't.
Point 2- That is NOT Pres. Brown's fault. He is one man that is piloting one school that had a myriad of problems BEFORE he got there. He is doing this with VERY little state funding but VERY much state control. To heap the problems that SSU has on him is wrong. If the alums of SSU, the people of Savannah, and the citizens of Georgia care about SSU, then they need to HELP, not complain and criticize. If they don't care, then don't say anything.