PDA

View Full Version : GSU vs NDSU

gsuman
November 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
GSU who really wants to actually have to go up to the fargodome and play NDSU? I for one for the past few months have been hoping they seeded us below NDSU just so we had a chance to go up their stomp the Bisons in front of all their fans. I have grown so sick and tired of NDSU fans saying Georgia Southern is so scared to play them. I'm ready for our eagles to go up their and burry the Bisons.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Bisons?

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
oh look, another thread about a matchup that may or may not happen. Play the first game first fellas

NoDak 4 Ever
November 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Bisons?

well, bury is spelled wrong too. what do you expect?

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Bring on the Eagleses!

I'd be more worried about getting there if I were you fella, neither team will have a cakewalk to the semifinals. Last year only 1 of the top 4 seeds even made the semis.

Baldy
November 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/159-face-palm-2.jpg

eagle07
November 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
that pic would be so much better if it were sam baker lol

asucrutch23

Not to mention 'there' xsmhx

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/159-face-palm-2.jpg

Facepalm indeed. Get through App/Maine first and for that matter ODU/NSU.

NoDak 4 Ever
That's at least the second GSU-centric user to pop up with a brand new account today saying random crap in a thread.

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
That's at least the second GSU-centric user to pop up with a brand new account today saying random crap in a thread.

Ohhh boohoo... care to show me your titles chump?

GaSouthern
November 22nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
GSU who really wants to actually have to go up to the fargodome and play NDSU? I for one for the past few months have been hoping they seeded us below NDSU just so we had a chance to go up their stomp the Bisons in front of all their fans. I have grown so sick and tired of NDSU fans saying Georgia Southern is so scared to play them. I'm ready for our eagles to go up their and burry the Bisons.
Not another one of these
http://i49.tinypic.com/2gy5ana.jpg

I'm betting he's a fake Southern fan.

gsuman
November 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
You caught me. I really love Sam Houston State.

gsuman
November 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
GaSouthern,
You can't tell me it doesn't drive you crazy listening to NDSU fans calling out Georgia Southern all year.

eagle07
November 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
now we just know your a fake and a liar LOL nobody likes SHSU

blueballs
November 22nd, 2011, 02:36 PM

It is the phoenetic spelling considering a southern drawl... ;-)

PaladinFan
New.Hampshire.Paulson.Stadium.2004.

Nothing's guaranteed in this game.

FargoBison
Ohhh boohoo... care to show me your titles chump?

Well they are a little dusty...but we have a few.

gsuman
November 22nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
To be honest I really don't like any other teams. The only team I am rooting for in the playoffs is for Wofford and GSU to make the finals so we can handle some business after the cheap shot they put on Mora toward the end of the game 2 weeks ago.

GaSouthern
November 22nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Ok so you are a real GSU fan, I believe you.

We already avenged Mora, we kicked an onside kick and recovered, they could do nothing to stop us, plus Mora is fine and we won.

I appreciate your love for GSU but starting your first post throwing mud at NDSU, a team we will be lucky get the oppertunity to play, may not be the best way of making an entrance.

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Well they are a little dusty...but we have a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship

Don't see any here, I guess I need to look into DII.

Found them..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_II_National_Football_Championship

well... I guess ya'll beat us in the D2 Championship list....darn..

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Ok so you are a real GSU fan, I believe you.

We already avenged Mora, we kicked an onside kick and recovered, they could do nothing to stop us, plus Mora is fine and we won.

I appreciate your love for GSU but starting your first post throwing mud at NDSU, a team we will be lucky get the oppertunity to play, may not be the best way of making an entrance.

Agreed.

eagle07
November 22nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Lets just get there now

NoDak 4 Ever
November 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM

Found them..

Let me go ask my neighbors the Ohio State fans what they think about the FCS championship. It's all relative guy.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM

Found them..

Don't step on our tradition please, we respect yours.

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 02:51 PM

Dont mean to be. I didn't throw the first punch ....ahm...*NoDak 4 Ever*

GaSouthern

I don't for sure.

NDSU, while I admit played us in one of our worst eras, is one of the only teams i've seen win and win big in Paulson.

NDSU is also one of the few teams that has had as much success in the same amount of time as Georgia Southern.

TheEagleWay
Tell us about your offense/defense from a fans perspective ?

gsuman
November 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah I get what you all are saying that wasn't the smartest first post. I just read something today again where their fans were saying again we play Tusculum just to avoid going to Fargo. Monken isn't scared to play anyone. But you are right about the playoffs we drew a tough side of the Bracket. ODU looks to be maybe pretty legit. And if App State does come to town I have to hope for a Saturday game so I can make it down to the Boro.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Dont mean to be. I didn't throw the first punch ....ahm...*NoDak 4 Ever*

I believe the exact quote was "Show me your titles chump"

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
I believe the exact quote was "Show me your titles chump"

Fair enough, more of a heat of the moment punch. xsmhx

Truce... ?

I'd really like to talk match ups and stats.xscanx

gsuman
November 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah its ok Hopefully one of us bring home a title this year! Hopefully to the Boro though!

344Johnson
November 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
NDSU plays bend dont break defense. And runs the ball....a lot.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Fair enough, more of a heat of the moment punch. xsmhx

Truce... ?

I'd really like to talk match ups and stats.xscanx

Gladly. This off week is going to help us lick some wounds and hopefully get focused for whomever comes out of the JMU/EKU matchup.

Nobody on our side of the bracket has even a chance to catch their breath until the championship game.

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Are you more of a spread or a pro style?

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Tell us about your offense/defense from a fans perspective ?

It's good. Very good. Does this count as an explanation?

gsuman
I feel southern matches up pretty well with stopping the run with ManBearPig on the line. As long as yall aren't known to throw the ball deep a whole lot it makes me feel good. Our secondary seems to blow atleast one coverage a game where the wideout ends up all alone down the middle. We have been lucky so far that the the opposing quarterback seems to always over throw his intended target.

344Johnson
Are you more of a spread or a pro style?

Pro-style. If NDSU went spread....I'd probably sit in my room and cry for a few years.

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah I get what you all are saying that wasn't the smartest first post. I just read something today again where their fans were saying again we play Tusculum just to avoid going to Fargo. Monken isn't scared to play anyone. But you are right about the playoffs we drew a tough side of the Bracket. ODU looks to be maybe pretty legit. And if App State does come to town I have to hope for a Saturday game so I can make it down to the Boro.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see you say "you all" instead of "ya'll".

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
What type of defense do you run? And what standouts do you have?

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
NDSU plays bend dont break defense. And runs the ball....a lot.

I see multiple running backs, so I'm assuming its by committee then?

Guess on pass/run ratio?

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM

Marcus Williams. Probably the best corner in the league.

Terrierforlife
November 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
To be honest I really don't like any other teams. The only team I am rooting for in the playoffs is for Wofford and GSU to make the finals so we can handle some business after the cheap shot they put on Mora toward the end of the game 2 weeks ago.

Really? You guys punched us in the mouth this year. Feel good about it. We'll see you again. Go SOCON!

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2011, 03:23 PM

Tampa 2 defense. We rotate a lot of players. Coulter Boyer at DE and Marcus Williams at CB are probably our best players. Williams has four defensive TDs this year, some teams we play won't even throw the ball to his side of the field.

Our defense as a whole is pretty athletic and deep, it seems like we put most of our best athletes on that side of the ball.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 22nd, 2011, 03:23 PM

Guess on pass/run ratio?

Very balanced. Brock Jensen is remarkably efficient. Very few turnovers on offense. Marcus Williams is a shutdown corner. McNorton and Ojuri have a great ability to get into the secondary.

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
How have you faired against other rushing attacks?

Have you faced any Triple Option teams?

Me might throw the ball 5 times.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2011, 03:27 PM

Guess on pass/run ratio?

Yes, we split carries basically evenly between our two backs. We ran a power west coast offense that is built on ball control. Our coach wants control the clock and wear teams down with our physical OL. We run a lot of power.

Our QB is a solid though, he is completing about 70% of his passes and only has two INTs. We have a WR in Warren Holloway who can stretch the field while our other WR is more like Wes Welker, our QB likes to hit our 6'7 TE Matt Veldman in redzone.

bleedingblue
November 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Good thing if we make it that far we don't pass. HOw well is he shedding off blocks is my question?

Vitojr130

Rushing attacks: See UNI- was 3rd in the league in rushing at the time... held to only 53 yards

Triple Option- Not from what I have seen

Throwing- eh 5 times won't kill you. Kinda eliminates the M. Williams pick 6 threat.

TheEagleWay
Yes, we split carries basically evenly between our two backs. We ran a power west coast offense that is built on ball control. Our coach wants control the clock and wear teams down with our physical OL. We run a lot of power.

Our QB is a solid though, he is completing about 70% of his passes and only has two INTs. We have a WR in Warren Holloway who can stretch the field while our other WR is more like Wes Welker, our QB likes to hit our 6'7 TE Matt Veldman in redzone.

I sall that recently... very impressive.

JMUNJ08
November 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
This threads tone changed in a hurry... Go Dukes? Could be a very physical 2nd round matchup as the description of ground n pound plus a strong D makes JMU look like a NDSU equal. (minus all of our injuries...)

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM

I don't think we've played an option team in a few years. A few Valley teams mix in a little option but no team runs it primarily. Minnesota used some spread option now that I think about it, but their offense is much different than GSUs.

Our coaches do have a lot of experience with the option though.

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
I don't think we've played an option team in a few years. A few Valley teams mix in a little option but no team runs it primarily. Minnesota used some spread option now that I think about it, but their offense is much different than GSUs.

Our coaches do have a lot of experience with the option though.

Didn't Nebraska run the option when Bohl was a coach there?

NoDak 4 Ever
November 22nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
This threads tone changed in a hurry... Go Dukes? Could be a very physical 2nd round matchup as the description of ground n pound plus a strong D makes JMU look like a NDSU equal. (minus all of our injuries...)

I'm remarkably nice guy but will vigorously defend my positions. That being said, nobody is overlooking their second round matchup. Everybody will have their hands full, including the Dukes this weekend. EKU is coming with a major chip on its shoulder from all the crap they have gotten in the last few days.

FargoBison
November 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Didn't Nebraska run the option when Bohl was a coach there?

Yeah, I believe they ran it every season he was there as a coach and of course player. I believe a few of our coaches also played for NDSU when we ran the veer.

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I believe they ran it every season he was there as a coach and of course player. I believe a few of our coaches also played for NDSU when we ran the veer.

Well that makes me feel better about facing GSU's triple option. I'm not worried.

GSUhooligan
November 22nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Total Offense
NDSU #71 344.55 YPG
GSU #20 424.91 YPG

Total Defense
NDSU #23 321.73 YPG
GSU #31 335.18 YPG

Scoring Offense
NDSU #22 33.45 PPG
GSU #7 35.91 PPG

Scoring Defense
NDSU #2 14.91 PPG
GSU # 23 20.18 PPG

Rushing Offense
NDSU #55 157.27 YPG
GSU #2 318.73 YPG

LakesBison
November 22nd, 2011, 04:04 PM
us ndsu fans will call out you guys every day, all the day. until you get your butts to the fargodome for your butt whoopin, then we will stop it.

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Total Offense
NDSU #71 344.55 YPG
GSU #20 424.91 YPG

Total Defense
NDSU #23 321.73 YPG
GSU #31 335.18 YPG

Scoring Offense
NDSU #22 33.45 PPG
GSU #7 35.91 PPG

Scoring Defense
NDSU #2 14.91 PPG
GSU # 23 20.18 PPG

Rushing Offense
NDSU #55 157.27 YPG
GSU #2 318.73 YPG

Convenient you left out passing offense. Include that and you are looking at 2 fairly even teams. I'm thinking NDSU pulls this one out because it's at the Fargodome.

GSUhooligan
November 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
I guess I should have added some commentary, because I agree, the stats point to two very evenly matched teams who rely on a strong running game and good defense. I left off passing because it is pointless. We don't pass, but we are both self-proclaimed run-first teams. I think the total offense figure is a much better statistic to compare the two teams.

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
I guess I should have added some commentary, because I agree, the stats point to two very evenly matched teams who rely on a strong running game and good defense. I left off passing because it is pointless. We don't pass, but we are both self-proclaimed run-first teams. I think the total offense figure is a much better statistic to compare the two teams.

Yes we are both run-first teams, but NDSU does go through the air quite a bit this year. This is especially true when Brock Jenson's overall QB pass/completion ratio is sitting around 71% for the season averaging somewhere around 20 attempts per game. Pass Offense and Pass Defense are going to still be vital stats when trying to compare these two teams if they were to meet.

Did I forget that he only has 2 interceptions as well? He's on fire this year.

John Deere
November 22nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Well that makes me feel better about facing GSU's triple option. I'm not worried.

You will not have to worry about GSU's TO. ODU will wear them out.

JMUNJ08
November 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Yes we are both run-first teams, but NDSU does go through the air quite a bit this year. This is especially true when Brock Jenson's overall QB pass/completion ratio is sitting around 71% for the season averaging somewhere around 20 attempts per game. Pass Offense and Pass Defense are going to still be vital stats when trying to compare these two teams if they were to meet.

Did I forget that he only has 2 interceptions as well? He's on fire this year.

Now that you jinxed him, I'm just going to sit back and wait for his 3 interception game....

FIDO-GATA
November 22nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
I'm remarkably nice guy but will vigorously defend my positions. That being said, nobody is overlooking their second round matchup. Everybody will have their hands full, including the Dukes this weekend. EKU is coming with a major chip on its shoulder from all the crap they have gotten in the last few days.

Why would EKU have a chip on their shoulder? The players don't read these boards. They are probably just excited as heck to still be playing.

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
Why would EKU have a chip on their shoulder? The players don't read these boards. They are probably just excited as heck to still be playing.

Hence the chip on the shoulder...

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
Now that you jinxed him, I'm just going to sit back and wait for his 3 interception game....

Nah I didn't jinx him. I have said Brock will throw interceptions before (such as when we played UNI), and look what happened... he went 22 for 25 without an interception.

Houndawg
November 22nd, 2011, 05:28 PM
I feel southern matches up pretty well with stopping the run with ManBearPig on the line. As long as yall aren't known to throw the ball deep a whole lot it makes me feel good. Our secondary seems to blow atleast one coverage a game where the wideout ends up all alone down the middle. We have been lucky so far that the the opposing quarterback seems to always over throw his intended target.

In a nutshell NDSU has a very good defense and a very average offense, they win by hanging around and not making mistakes; while the TO is hard to defend if you don't see it much it is also turnover prone and if you have a couple of fumbles it could be a long night. Their biggest threat is their WR #4, big play guy. Their RBs are good solid runners, not real fast but good at running where the blocking takes them. I don't know how good GSU's DL is but SIU was able to stuff their run with relative ease (60 yds./1.8 ypc) and except for the backup QB making his first start likely would have won the game. Great defense, solid, well coached, very good at keeping things in front of them, tough on big downs - they aren't as slow as people say, or as physical. If GSU scores first, they would have an advantage, imo.

Vitojr130
November 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
In a nutshell NDSU has a very good defense and a very average offense, they win by hanging around and not making mistakes; while the TO is hard to defend if you don't see it much it is also turnover prone and if you have a couple of fumbles it could be a long night. Their biggest threat is their WR #4, big play guy. Their RBs are good solid runners, not real fast but good at running where the blocking takes them. I don't know how good GSU's DL is but SIU was able to stuff their run with relative ease (60 yds./1.8 ypc) and except for the backup QB making his first start likely would have won the game. Great defense, solid, well coached, very good at keeping things in front of them, tough on big downs - they aren't as slow as people say, or as physical. If GSU scores first, they would have an advantage, imo.

The reason SIU was able to shut the run down is because they ran a 3 man front. Historically, the Bison have NEVER done well against a 3 man front when running the ball. However, we went on to play 3 more 3 man front teams... and won. One of them was against UNI. I think they figured it out after the SIU scare.

No_Skill
November 22nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
This talk is a tad premature, no?

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM

Go on ESPN 3 and you will see our DL at its best. Brent Russell was double teamed by Alabama and was still able to get into the back field. Bias aside, you might actually see Brent Russell play on Sundays, he has a non-stop motor.

Here is his bio.
http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18700&ATCLID=1522562

This is the best highlight video I could find, it has almost all of our starters and gives a good idea of what GSU football is all about. Brent Russll is #66
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkSS3XdRhv4

He was out for the game against Citadel and our DL was not dominate at all.

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
This talk is a tad premature, no?

Yeah, but with a bye week we gotta have something to talk about. :D

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
To the original poster: take a lap. After your done with that, go edit that post so that it is coherent and you don't make the rest of us look like uneducated fools.

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Our offense:

Potent, very potent. It is a clock grinding offense that will wear out a defense.

The Tide entered the game allowing 51.9 rushing yards and 7.1 points a game. Only Arkansas had scored as many as 14 points in a game against Alabama. The Razorbacks also had the previous-best rushing total against Albama with 148 yards on the ground. We rushed 303 and scored 21 points.

Plays like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orQ0vbYBvEw&feature=related
That is Dominique Swope and he gained over 150 yards by himself, and Bama hasn't given that to one player Note the chop blocks, which will stop any defender and opens up gaps in the defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyszgdLP94Y&feature=related
This video shows the triple option, if you wanted to see a full range of plays. This is loaded with plays since our 1985 National Title to 2005. Its not the same players, but its the exact same plays. I see these every game. Minute 3:45, you will see the rare pass that teams do not expect and this on was against UGA. We also did it last Saturday against Alabama for a 35 yard td. Our offense will put a defensive secondary to sleep.

Hope this helps!

FIDO-GATA
November 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hence the chip on the shoulder...

I'm just saying they aren't seeing all this "EKU shouldn't be in...ESPN chose them" stuff that's all over this board. The players don't know people are out here talking like that and hence probably don't really have a chip on their shoulder. For all we know they probably expected to get in.

straightshooter
November 22nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Just for grins, here are the opponent's net rushing totals for each of Alabama's games this season:

Kent State -9
Penn State 107
North Texas 68
Florida 15
Vanderbilt 41
Arkansas 48
Mississippi 28
Tennessee 92
LSU 148
Mississippi State 12
Georgia Southern 302

GSU EAGLES
November 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM

Two can play this game. After a sentence ends in a period, you must capitalize the first letter of the next word. Do they teach basic grammar in ND? Step your game up NoDak and go ahead and get prepared mentally for that beatdown you will be receiving in December.

Grizo406
November 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Per the thread title, in this game, I'll say GSU, by A BUNCH!!!xnodxxnodxxnodx

hippy@GSU
November 22nd, 2011, 10:29 PM

Agent Provocateur.

John Deere
November 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Good. Just keep on looking ahead. We all know what happens when that happens.

No_Skill
November 23rd, 2011, 08:28 AM

Because fans looking ahead affect the team, right? xcrazyx

John Deere
November 23rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Because fans looking ahead affect the team, right? xcrazyx

Works both ways.

TheEagleWay
November 23rd, 2011, 08:44 AM
Works both ways.

Because we have a hypothetical thread, our players will worry about a potential semi final match up... right....xsmhx

Eaglesrus
November 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM

Hmmm, you're an App State fan, right? If so, by you being on this thread talking trash to GSU doesn't that mean you're looking ahead? Why don't you just worry about Maine?