Offensive Player of the Year: Richard Sincere, Sam Houston State
Defensive Player of the Year: Darnell Taylor, Sam Houston State

Freshman of the Year: Jordan Wells, Southeastern Louisiana
Newcomer of the Year: Willie Jefferson, Stephen F. Austin
Coach of the Year: Willie Fritz, Sam Houston State

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205337606

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Nice. What I don't understand is how Jestin Love was left off the first team defense. Really? How many picks did he have to seal games for UCA? 4 or 5? Guess that official whined about the incident and that was enough to leave him off the first team. xlolx

Seth Allison, most deserving of first team and should be considered for a certain national award but isn't. xlolx

Nice all around year for the Bearkats though...xbowx

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 03:16 PM

Convince me of this. How is he DPOY? xscanx xeyebrowx

Tackles- #9 in SLC
Sacks- #18 tied with 3 others in the SLC for 18th!
Tackles for loss- not ranked
Passes defended- not ranked
Interceptions- not ranked
Fumbles forced- 2nd tied with 5 others for second place in the SLC

Looking at those stats, how was he DPOY? Please give me some insight! xchinscratchx

Looking at other candidates there it appears there are much better candidates:

Seth Allison for example:

Tackles- #5 in the SLC
Sacks- #4 in the SLC
Tackles for loss- #1 in the SLC
Passes defended and other categories- unranked.

According to Southland.org Seth appears to be more of the league's DPOY than Taylor....by a long shot.

There are others who have better stats than Taylor...why was he picked? xchinscratchx

Sam_Kats
November 22nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
If I'm not mistaken, these are voted upon by fellow SLC coaches. As an ex-coach, when 60% your offensive game plan goes towards AVOIDING a certain individual, stats kinda go out the window. And dude is a PLAYMAKER!!

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Ryan Epperson was a solid lock in my opinion

1st in tackles, tied for 10th in sacks,

Willie Jefferson with 16 sacks..pretty impressive.

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Seth Allison is probably the most solid across the board in terms of defensive POY

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken, these are voted upon by fellow SLC coaches. As an ex-coach, when 60% your offensive game plan goes towards AVOIDING a certain individual, stats kinda go out the window. And dude is a PLAYMAKER!!

Um...that's like saying someone is the home run king when everyone pitches around them. Sure he's a threat, but coaches said the threat was enough to be named SLC DPOY...what's the point of keeping stats? Nobody wanted to throw Jestin Love's way...and when they did..pick 6....so why wasn't he considered? 5 game winning picks...surely.

asucrutch23
November 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
So how is Flanders Player of the Year but not Offensive Player of the Year? I guess this is like Tyler Hansbrough winning National POY but teammate Ty Lawson winning ACC POY. Still doesn't make sense to me.

smallcollegefbfan
November 22nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Of 15 Bearkats on first or second team... only three are seniors. xnodx

Major Awards...

Player of the Year: Tim Flanders, Sam Houston State
Offensive Player of the Year: Richard Sincere, Sam Houston State

Newcomer of the Year: Willie Jefferson, Stephen F. Austin
Coach of the Year: Willie Fritz, Sam Houston State

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205337606

Yes this is a young team. I think SHSU will be exposed this year in the playoffs as a team who should be #5-9 not #1 but I think they will be a legit NC contender over the next two years.

Just to show how young this team is and how much they depend on freshmen and sophomores they only have ONE player who is being recommended to the NFL as a prospect in the junior or senior class and it's a junior defensive player. Nobody on offense.

Sam_Kats
November 22nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
If you go off YOUR logic, stats are stats & the result doesn't count...pick 6 is the same as a trash pick in a blowout loss - can't have it both ways. The LB from Lamar led the Southland in tackles coming into the Sam game - our O line DOMINATED him; however, based on your logic, he should be POY?? Don't think so. I think it's more likely that 6 head football coaches (plus assistants) got it right rather than a couple of UCA fans being disgruntled because their guy didn't get it.

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 03:44 PM
Oh Small you just woke a sleeping Bearkat. xlolx

Sam_Kats
November 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
ASUcrutch - you're missing how these awards are given out. THE BEST PLAYER, regardless of what side of the ball, will be named POY. He, then, is eliminated from the other awards (OFF & DEF). Why even have POY if it will automatically handed to either the DPOY or OPOY each season? Doesn't make sense. Each award SHOULD go to 3 individuals. If Attaway from SFA or Dick from UCA would have gotten OPOY, no one would be griping.

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
If you go off YOUR logic, stats are stats & the result doesn't count...pick 6 is the same as a trash pick in a blowout loss - can't have it both ways. The LB from Lamar led the Southland in tackles coming into the Sam game - our O line DOMINATED him; however, based on your logic, he should be POY?? Don't think so. I think it's more likely that 6 head football coaches (plus assistants) got it right rather than a couple of UCA fans being disgruntled because their guy didn't get it.

But the difference IS they weren't trash picks for Jestin. They were game winners or game sealers. But there's no category for that is there? Jestin proved it in the games. Taylor never got a chance to prove it therefore he shouldn't be considered DPOY because of what he could have done IF they had gone his way. Makes no sense. xsmhx

As for Seth, no SLC fan can deny that guy should have been considered over someone with "potential" and lacking stats.

As for Bear fans whining about their guy not getting it...not likely. It's simple Bearkat, other players deserved it more than Taylor. I backed that up with stats which is what they use for the other awards...just not this one it appears. But that's just my opinion..which as you pointed out differs from that of the coaches and their assistants. xrolleyesx

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
ASUcrutch - you're missing how these awards are given out. THE BEST PLAYER, regardless of what side of the ball, will be named POY. He, then, is eliminated from the other awards (OFF & DEF). Why even have POY if it will automatically handed to either the DPOY or OPOY each season? Doesn't make sense. Each award SHOULD go to 3 individuals. If Attaway from SFA or Dick from UCA would have gotten OPOY, no one would be griping.

No actually you are wrong. I would have griped about Taylor anyway. DPOY is huge in the southland and he is not deserving of that award just because teams were "afraid" of going his way and made plays to avoid him...allegedly.

Bearkat-Backer
November 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
No actually you are wrong. I would have griped about Taylor anyway. DPOY is huge in the southland and he is not deserving of that award just because teams were "afraid" of going his way and made plays to avoid him...allegedly.

He was addressing a different point about being POTY and OPOTY.

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 04:00 PM
He was addressing a different point about being POTY and OPOTY.

Oh...xlolx

Sam_Kats
November 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
UCABear - I was simply stating my opinion (based on experience) of what goes on behind those doors when the voting takes place. Football coaches aren't a big fan of stats or at least do not think stats tell the entire story. Stats are for fans...not coaching staffs. These guys not only watch film, they break it down, study it...and watch it again & again. We can argue til the cows come home but Taylor was awarded DPOY and nothing that you, me or any other Southland fan thinks can change that.

asucrutch23
November 22nd, 2011, 04:07 PM

Ok well I guess I just disagree with how they are given out. IMO, the POY should be either the OPOY or DPOY, because how can you not be the best offensive player in the conference if you are the best player in the conference and you play on offense? Looking at the other threads, I see that most other conferences don't give out an overall POY, just an OPOY and a DPOY.

Sam_Kats
November 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
I noticed that too - a little odd. Maybe it's a Texas/Southland deal??

GeauxLions94
November 22nd, 2011, 05:48 PM

xthumbsupx

Second Lion in four years (the other was Simmie Yarborough) to claim Freshman of the Year honors. Wells is also a finalist for the Jerry Rice Award as the top freshman in FCS (your votes are now being accepted here). xnodx

http://www.lionsports.net/images/2011/11/10/rp_primary_110511_0651.JPG

lionsrking2
November 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
xthumbsupx

Second Lion in four years (the other was Simmie Yarborough) to claim Freshman of the Year honors. Wells is also a finalist for the Jerry Rice Award as the top freshman in FCS (your votes are now being accepted here). xnodx

http://www.lionsports.net/images/2011/11/10/rp_primary_110511_0651.JPG

Congrats to Jordan! Well deserved honor and a great year returning kicks, though I honestly thought Tyler Stoddard should have gotten it over him ... Stoddard had an outstanding true freshman season at Strong Safety, finishing tied for seventh in the SLC in total tackles (90) and second in solos ... and didn't become a regular until the third game ... he's got a bright future!!

As for the other awards, I can't argue with the selections though I personally would have voted for SFA's Willie Jefferson for Defensive POY ... I thought Richard Sincere was most valuable player in the league overall, though hard to argue with Flanders numbers.

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
I'll give Jordan Wells the props! xbowx It was fantastic to see him return 8 punts for 20+ yards and one for 91 yards....sad though his QB threw an INT to Allison in the endzone to end that nice return...xsmhx Kid ran hard in our game. Nice stats but too bad they were because UCA scored so often and not from punts due to defense players doing their job. Way to go Wells!

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
So how is Flanders Player of the Year but not Offensive Player of the Year? I guess this is like Tyler Hansbrough winning National POY but teammate Ty Lawson winning ACC POY. Still doesn't make sense to me.

That is always how the SLC has done it.... I do not believe we have ever had a POTY also win the OPOTY or DPOTY. Would have to check...

Yes this is a young team. I think SHSU will be exposed this year in the playoffs as a team who should be #5-9 not #1 but I think they will be a legit NC contender over the next two years.

Just to show how young this team is and how much they depend on freshmen and sophomores they only have ONE player who is being recommended to the NFL as a prospect in the junior or senior class and it's a junior defensive player. Nobody on offense.

It would not surprise me if SHSU wins the first game and loses the second. This is all valuable experience for the future and will bolster our recruiting efforts to continue building on the base that has been developed by Willie Fritz. Time will tell... but perhaps we're on to something here and playing at home will be much to the Kats' benefit this year.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2011, 07:38 PM
GL94...

I hope Jordan Wells doesn't have 10 years of eligibility like Steven Whitehead did... seemed like Whitehead was returning kicks for a decade before he finally left. Did too much damage to SLC special teams. Hope Wells stays healthy and completes his eligibility on time. :)

BEAR
November 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
I second that. xlolx

lionsrking2
November 22nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
GL94...

I hope Jordan Wells doesn't have 10 years of eligibility like Steven Whitehead did... seemed like Whitehead was returning kicks for a decade before he finally left. Did too much damage to SLC special teams. Hope Wells stays healthy and completes his eligibility on time. :)

He's a redshirt freshman with 3 years remaining after this one ... he was our most talented running back by far, and I have no doubt he could have rushed for 1,000+ yards had we given him the carries ... while a good student, he struggled with the complexity and pace of our offense and our coaches were afraid he would line up wrong or blow protections ... that's why he didn't start or get many carries ... hopefully moving forward, he'll become a centerpiece of our offense ... very talented young man.