PDA

View Full Version : Terriers vs. Panthers

terrierbob
November 22nd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Knowing very little about UNI other than they are historically an FCS power, I'm interested in thoughts on the strengths vs. weaknesses of this match up.

unigriff
November 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Knowing very little about UNI other than they are historically an FCS power, I'm interested in thoughts on the strengths vs. weaknesses of this match up.

Good morning. Hopefully some other Panther faithful will chime in. I've watched every game this year...2 in person and here are my thoughts. achrist...help me out :)

Our strengths, DEFENSE and KICKER.

Our front four are pretty impressive and add in LJ Fort (Buchanan List) at LB and the five roaming the middle are pretty stout. I personally was kind of disappointed in our rush defense as a few years back, I was used to seeing the Panthers give up less than 100 yds a game on the ground...back then our pass D was god-awful though. I think this years team, the rush defense has not been as great but is still pretty good only giving up around 125 yds a game. Our pass defense is decent, better than some years...however with our aggressive D style...quick slants over the middle and doing a flea flicker never seem to fail to kick us around. One of our safeties was stabbed on campus last week and seemingly played rather well against ISUr. Players to watch out for on Defense - All-American Ben Boothby, LJ Fort.

Our biggest question this year was in our kicking game. We lost our 4 year starter in Billy Hallgren who was very criticized for his inconsistent kicking over the years although I believe he did set the scoring record at UNI. We took a disliking to him after missing two FGs that would have beat highly rated Iowa in 09 and huge FG in the Richmond playoff semifinal, along with others. This year we have a sophomore kicker, first time ever starting and has been phenomenal. Some say he will be playing on Sundays in the future. Tyler Sievertsen is 17 for 18 on FGs with a long of 48. He is a perfect 9 for 9 inside 40 yards and 8 of 9 between 40-50. He has yet to miss an XP as well and leads the team with 85 points scored. I don't think there was a kick bigger than the one he made in a very chilly and windy 2nd OT vs. ISUr....that is some coconuts right there. 40 yards into a stiff 30mph wind...wow.

I would say another strength of ours is our O-line and the overall team experience. Our Oline which some could say is BCS type lineman (all 6'6ish and 300+lbs) is a very veteran group but at times this season has been iffy, and head scratching. For one I thought this way when we had 18 total yards against ISUr in the first half this past weekend. When they do get going though, they make some great holes and are very very good. We have a SR scrambling QB in Rennie who is now over 2,000 yards rushing in his short career and his backup a RS Freshman Lanpher has shown to be a very good passer and reliable backup.

Our weaknesses I would say....DBs. I don't necessarily think it is just them, I think it is the defensive scheme we run, but seems like our DBs should be better. Our late game playing-calling....we play waaaayyyy to conservative with a lead. We never want to blow anyone out. (some scores this year seem like it was a blowout, but there was some garbage TDs in there).
Penalties....we kill ourselves with stupid penalties especially late in series (3rd n 4th downs). Our defense is great enough to put teams in long field situations all day but we have to work 6x harder and longer because we make the stupid late play.
Finally I'd say how we depend on Rennie. If we depend on him to much to make plays, it really slows us down. We have a terrific group of WRs that don't get as much of a chance to make plays as i'd like to see. So, i guess I'd say in a summary..our own talent use is our own weakness.

These are just my observative opinions but thats what I think from a half bias/give you the best look at our Panthers as I can. Some can probably do better...(clenz, achrist)

asknoquarter21
November 22nd, 2011, 08:49 AM
I think this game could be settled at the line of scrimage

Both teams thrive off winning that battle. It will be interesting to see who wants it more.

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
This is one of the better 2nd round match-ups. UNI is a tough place to win but I feel like option teams always have a bit of an advantage in the playoffs against non-conference opponents. It is a difficult attack to defend if you do not see it throughout the season.

I think this will be very close. Wofford has not played their best ball recently but if they can return to form in the bye week, they have a shot to pull the upset. Hard to bet against UNI at the dome though.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Should be a good game with a score in the 20s. On offense, UNI's strength is the zone read option. QB, Rennie, has a decent arm and some fast receivers. He can hurt you. Defensively the strength is at DT and LB. Boothby, Fort, and Conley probably love this match-up.

On special teams we have a dangerous return game and a great kicker. Punter has done well this season.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
This is one of the better 2nd round match-ups. UNI is a tough place to win but I feel like option teams always have a bit of an advantage in the playoffs against non-conference opponents. It is a difficult attack to defend if you do not see it throughout the season.

I think this will be very close. Wofford has not played their best ball recently but if they can return to form in the bye week, they have a shot to pull the upset. Hard to bet against UNI at the dome though.

Two weeks may take away the advantage of the TO. Two weeks of prep will be hopeful.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
I think this one has the potential to be the best second round game. On the other hand, IF UNI can't stop the option Wofford could blow 'em out. Yet, IF UNI does shut down that option the Panthers could blow out Wofford. That said, I suspect it will fall somewhere in the middle and this will be a hard fought close game. If it was televised I would watch it!

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Two weeks may take away the advantage of the TO. Two weeks of prep will be hopeful.

It will definitely help, trying to defend that offense with 5 days to prepare is tough. On that same note, I think the new scheduling for the championship game will hurt Wofford/GSU if one of them were to make it there. 3 full weeks to prepare for the option could make a big difference.

unigriff
November 22nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
I think this one has the potential to be the best second round game. On the other hand, IF UNI can't stop the option Wofford could blow 'em out. Yet, IF UNI does shut down that option the Panthers could blow out Wofford. That said, I suspect it will fall somewhere in the middle and this will be a hard fought close game. If it was televised I would watch it!

espn3.com my friend!!!!

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
espn3.com my friend!!!!

SORE POINT. No ESPN3 in virtually all of Montana!
Don't know why but it's a rare commodity on the internet carriers here.
Can you say mad as hell UM & MSU fans!!!!!!

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Don't know why but it's a rare commodity on the internet carriers here.

Internet and cable alike, and annoying on many levels. For instance, the current Bresnan communications adverts here in Missoula inform potential customers of EXACTLY HOW MUCH THEY HAVE TO PAY TO SWITCH TO BRESNAN. Then they tell you there's no cancellation fees if you drop them.

Back to football! The option is definitely hard to prepare for if you aren't used to it, as Wofford proved convincingly a few years ago here in Missoula. This is such a great matchup and turnovers probably will determine the victor. UNI is great at not turning the ball over (sixth in FCS), BUT their loss to NDSU was fueled in large part by their three turnovers - statistically, they were pretty even in most other aspects of the game (outside of time of possession). Wofford isn't exactly a slouch; if they can keep the ball on offense they'll give UNI all they can handle.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
I think we match up well with UNI. They are definitely a great team who could make a run if they beat us, but I think a few things play in our favor, just from a matchup perspective. UNI is an MVFC team and that implies a power running game, sadly Wofford's had trouble against that as of late, but with 2 more weeks to heal up I think we'll see us back to our level of defensive greatness that we saw in the first month of the season rather than the last month. Having Niam out indefinitely (maybefor the season) is huge as he may be an All-American, but SeQuan Stanley, one of his backups was All-Freshman socon 2 years ago and is great player as well. We were able to hold Chattanooga last week to 118 yards rushing and that's about the average amount we've given up this year, with the starters in.

What's hurt Wofford defensively is a viable balanced attack involving play-action passes and running it up the middle. Our defense is primarily a zone defense, and it depends on the aggressiveness of the front 7 to stop the run and get pressure on the QB. Against Furman, we weren't able to stop them because Chris Forcier was a very efficient passer and Furman made their living off the power run game (having a key run-supporter out for 99% of the game didn't help either). We were unable to get pressure on Forcier and he was able to complete his passes, so we played less aggressive and thus their run game was able to be more success which eventually led to their pass game as well. It's kind of a chicken and the egg thing.

Anywho, from what I can read, UNI likes to run the read option and doesn't have an extremely efficient or necessarily threatening passing game. In my honest opinion, this will allow Wofford to focus on stopping the run, something that we're pretty good at when we're healthy and not kept offset (see Samford, App State, and The citadel). Wofford's defense is really a head-scratcher. We looked great at the beginning of the year, but as injuries kicked in we got a little weaker, but now it seems we're getting healthy at the right time.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
Key to stopping Wofford is the same, you have to slow down their fullback. You don't put him on the ground, Wofford will tear you to apart. As he goes, Wofford's offense goes. No deep threat receivers, but plenty of possession guys who can run 5-10 yard stop routes and get the ball on the numbers.

UNI has a great defense, but they will have their hands full. SoCon teams see the option virtually every other week. It is certainly a disadvantage to go into a game never seeing that much misdirection in the backfield.

Defensively, Wofford is stout. They like to string you to the sideline and then bring the cavalry. Furman had good success on quick tosses to the edges and power runs in the middle. UNI would probably do well to watch that film.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Offensively, Wofford has to stick to it's game plan and minimize mistakes. The week to prepare may or may not help UNI. As a religious follower of the option I believe that it can only be stopped if the execution fails, and often that is perpetuated by individual playmakers with phenomenal athleticism (or superior athleticism) to disrupt plays by simply just beating the guy trying to block you. Iowa did that against Georgia Tech a few years back as they had a projected first round pick playing DL. Look at Chattanooga for instance, they're a good team, and they played 2 other option teams before Wofford, had an extra week to prepare for the option, had a top 10 defense in their own right, and we still ran for 350 and almost had 400 yards of offense on them.

If UNI has trouble defending the big play in the secondary, it's key for Wofford to complete as many passes as they can, that could mean big yardage.

Eric Breiteinstein ran for 170 yards against Jacksonville state last year in the second round when they had a week to prepare, he may not get as much yardage but let's not kid ourselves, our offense is a lot better this year than it was last year (our defense isn't quite as good though). If Breiteinstein has a big day, get our other backs (namely Donovan Johnson) involved on the perimeter, get good yardage on first down, complete our passes, we don't turn over the ball, and we convert 3/4 of our 4th down conversions (we're going to try it a lot) Wofford wins this one. It's hard to predict how successful we'll be as UNI is a different style of team than we've faced this year.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
UNI has the athletes to match quickness and speed with anyone out there. I think 3 of the 4 guys on their MVC championship 4x100 relay team are on the football team. They've struggled offensively against the bigger more phyiscal front 7s in the MVFC this year (ISUr, SIU, NDSU). Their passing game is good enough when they have the threat of the run backing it up but if you can make them one dimensional and are able to devote 6 or 7 guys to coverage is when you'll have a chance to button down their offense. The problem with that is you HAVE to spy Rennie and you need to do it with a guy with quickness and athleticism to match him which is tough to find to begin with and if you do have a guy like that it will take him out of pass coverage.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Key to stopping Wofford is the same, you have to slow down their fullback. You don't put him on the ground, Wofford will tear you to apart. As he goes, Wofford's offense goes. No deep threat receivers, but plenty of possession guys who can run 5-10 yard stop routes and get the ball on the numbers.

UNI has a great defense, but they will have their hands full. SoCon teams see the option virtually every other week. It is certainly a disadvantage to go into a game never seeing that much misdirection in the backfield.

Defensively, Wofford is stout. They like to string you to the sideline and then bring the cavalry. Furman had good success on quick tosses to the edges and power runs in the middle. UNI would probably do well to watch that film.
I'd actually disagree with that slightly. Outside of one play (that was huge), Wofford for the most part played the pitch well against Furman. The dive game destroyed us and that was awkward because that rarely happened before. We have an All-American IMO in Alvin Scieoneaux (probably just misspelled) at outside linebacker who makes plays. I think he leads the conference in sacks, tackles for loss, and force fumbles; he's just a stud.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
UNI has the athletes to match quickness and speed with anyone out there. I think 3 of the 4 guys on their MVC championship 4x100 relay team are on the football team. They've struggled offensively against the bigger more phyiscal front 7s in the MVFC this year (ISUr, SIU, NDSU). Their passing game is good enough when they have the threat of the run backing it up but if you can make them one dimensional and are able to devote 6 or 7 guys to coverage is when you'll have a chance to button down their offense. The problem with that is you HAVE to spy Rennie and you need to do it with a guy with quickness and athleticism to match him which is tough to find to begin with and if you do have a guy like that it will take him out of pass coverage.

Wofford doesn't have a big front 7, but they play aggressively and come after you pretty darn fast. As well as our linebackers play, so does the defense. I don't think we'll spy, I'm pretty sure that we don't generally do that. We play a soft zone and make you nitpick your way down field without giving up the big play. Stopping the run is what we try to stop and we generally do that, having held about 8 of our 11 opponents in check until garbage time (we've held 6 of 11 teams to 120 or less yards rushing, the citadel and Western got a bunch of yards on our backups, 145 and 209....the citadel runs the option too). We struggled to stop the run against Clemson...who is clemson (though we did decently), GSU (because we tackled poorly and that can be attributed to good play by GSU), and Furman (who played a great game, and I already explained why their offense worked) Once you get near the redzone, that's when it's hard to move the ball on us.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
I think Wofford's run game should take time off the clock and the less time Rennie has to work with, the better for the Terriers. Wofford will need to spy Rennie and not let him get rolling. I also agree that UNI lack of experience in going against an option team could hurt early in the game. Coaching adjustments on the fly will be important, and whoever has the better coaches to adjust to what is happening will have the edge.

fencer24
November 22nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
That damned option was a real problem for us in 2007, but we started to figure it out, and probably would have if Carpenter made the field goal to win it.

Does Wofford still use that chop block out in the flat, or was that finally banned?

But the good thing about that game was that we started to see more of that option football and figured some ways to deal with it: Discipline, i.e. keep to your responsibility and force the pitch; and force turnovers.

Terrierforlife
November 22nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
I think Wofford's run game should take time off the clock and the less time Rennie has to work with, the better for the Terriers. Wofford will need to spy Rennie and not let him get rolling. I also agree that UNI lack of experience in going against an option team could hurt early in the game. Coaching adjustments on the fly will be important, and whoever has the better coaches to adjust to what is happening will have the edge.

Totally agree. This one will come down to coaching.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Totally agree. This one will come down to coaching.

If it does, we will lose IMO.

Houndawg
November 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Wofford doesn't have a big front 7, but they play aggressively and come after you pretty darn fast. As well as our linebackers play, so does the defense. I don't think we'll spy, I'm pretty sure that we don't generally do that. We play a soft zone and make you nitpick your way down field without giving up the big play. Stopping the run is what we try to stop and we generally do that, having held about 8 of our 11 opponents in check until garbage time (we've held 6 of 11 teams to 120 or less yards rushing, the citadel and Western got a bunch of yards on our backups, 145 and 209....the citadel runs the option too). We struggled to stop the run against Clemson...who is clemson (though we did decently), GSU (because we tackled poorly and that can be attributed to good play by GSU), and Furman (who played a great game, and I already explained why their offense worked) Once you get near the redzone, that's when it's hard to move the ball on us.

That would be a mistake. To beat UNI you have to force Rennie to try and beat you with his arm.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
I'd actually disagree with that slightly. Outside of one play (that was huge), Wofford for the most part played the pitch well against Furman. The dive game destroyed us and that was awkward because that rarely happened before. We have an All-American IMO in Alvin Scieoneaux (probably just misspelled) at outside linebacker who makes plays. I think he leads the conference in sacks, tackles for loss, and force fumbles; he's just a stud.

I have no doubt saying Wofford has a good defense. They got run over in the Furman game, though. Chalk it up to a bad afternoon.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
I have no doubt saying Wofford has a good defense. They got run over in the Furman game, though. Chalk it up to a bad afternoon.

it was a combination of Furman doing everything right and Wofford not so much, it's just that our defense hasn't played as well since the Citadel and I don't know if you can account that to injuries or playing better offenses (Mocs with coleman playing, GSU, Furman without turnovers, Elon, and yes even Western Carolina).

I personally consider a good defensive performance (but not necessarily great) is when you hold your opponent to under 350 yards (Very good is under 300, great is under 200). Wofford was able to do that to it's first few opponents, but since Furman we've been kind of skewed. Last week was the first week we were "healthy" (only one starter on defense out, and less minor injuries) since Furman and we held Chattanooga with Coleman back right at 350. Still, I'd rather play a read option team than an air-raid team, we match up better.

FIDO-GATA
November 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
It will definitely help, trying to defend that offense with 5 days to prepare is tough. On that same note, I think the new scheduling for the championship game will hurt Wofford/GSU if one of them were to make it there. 3 full weeks to prepare for the option could make a big difference.

There is no question. I hope they change this back to the way it was one day. It's not a bowl game. Delaying the championship game on a playoff system like that is just stupid. I'm sure there has been a lot of debate over this topic...

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
There is no question. I hope they change this back to the way it was one day. It's not a bowl game. Delaying the championship game on a playoff system like that is just stupid. I'm sure there has been a lot of debate over this topic...

It's mainly for the sake of ESPN having "championship week" all in one week. I honestly don't care about it. I think it's helpful for teams that may have to travel a lot, to settle in and there be less of a jet lag effect. As an option team it somewhat neutralized the advantage you have but all that preparation doesn't necessarily amount to anything

Woody Hayes
November 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM

You just talked yourself in a full circle! :D

No_Skill
November 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Has a time been set for this game?

FIDO-GATA
November 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
It's mainly for the sake of ESPN having "championship week" all in one week. I honestly don't care about it. I think it's helpful for teams that may have to travel a lot, to settle in and there be less of a jet lag effect. As an option team it somewhat neutralized the advantage you have but all that preparation doesn't necessarily amount to anything

I'm just thinking what if the March Madness tourney took a month off in between the semis and the championship. Obviously that's not the same, but a tournament is a tournament.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Has a time been set for this game?

4pm CST

Gaterrier
November 22nd, 2011, 07:41 PM

Yeah, but Jaybo has been running the option since someone else had to wipe him. Mitch Allen/Breitenstein have been doing it for at least 3-4 years. No one on a scout team can replicate that efficiency and experience in a few weeks. It just can't happen. Those mesh/pitch relationships take a LOT of time to perfect. Why do option teams struggle with turnovers so much at the first of the season? Rust. It becomes a well-oiled machine later in the year (look at The Citadel...much better at the end).

It's still the best offense out there, IMO - especially if you can throw when needed or unexpected.

FIDO-GATA
November 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah, but Jaybo has been running the option since someone else had to wipe him. Mitch Allen/Breitenstein have been doing it for at least 3-4 years. No one on a scout team can replicate that efficiency and experience in a few weeks. It just can't happen. Those mesh/pitch relationships take a LOT of time to perfect. Why do option teams struggle with turnovers so much at the first of the season? Rust. It becomes a well-oiled machine later in the year (look at The Citadel...much better at the end).

It's still the best offense out there, IMO - especially if you can throw when needed or unexpected.

You're right. I just don't like the new setup in general I guess.

In response to the original post though...I see the Woffs coming outta there with a win. They'll like it indoors.

PaladinFan
November 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM

I'm not really sold on it being the best offense out there. Frankly, if it was, more teams would run it.

I'm a huge fan of the option game, but its weak points are obvious. It is not an offense you can play from behind in. It does have big play potential, but you can't come back 14 points with five minutes on the clock with "potential." Its a great offense in most situations, but in some other scenarios it is like an anchor around your neck.

For my money, I'm still a fan of the old pro-style. It has the benefit of the ball control ground game that makes the option so deadly, but also has the ability to stretch the field and pick up yards when needed.

Gaterrier
November 23rd, 2011, 09:42 PM
But, when Furman was at its best, they ran the option...just out of the I. DeBusk to Tremble...Debusk to Tremble...DeBusk to Tremble...Tremble...Tremble...DeBusk...DeBusk to Tremble.

Chi Panther
November 23rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
I think this will be a very close game. Just hoping Perfect Dome Weather and Fast Turf conditions favor UNI. If this game was in bad weather or on grass....I'd favor the dawgs....

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
That damned option was a real problem for us in 2007, but we started to figure it out, and probably would have if Carpenter made the field goal to win it.

Does Wofford still use that chop block out in the flat, or was that finally banned?

But the good thing about that game was that we started to see more of that option football and figured some ways to deal with it: Discipline, i.e. keep to your responsibility and force the pitch; and force turnovers.

Absolutely, that is the key. And force it as early as possible. You really have to have a very good DE or OLBs who can force the play. I never understand teams that don't do that.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 11:42 PM
That would be a mistake. To beat UNI you have to force Rennie to try and beat you with his arm.

Yes, that's what we did last year.

Strommer10
November 24th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Go MVFC! Please have a little better showing than last year in the playoffs... xprayx

clenz
November 24th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Rennie is five times the passer he was last year..and twice as healthy id bet

fencer24
November 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
The Terriers act just like their namesake, small, fast, and annoying, but effective. If UNI goes ahead early, they should be able to win, but if the Terriers keep it close, I can see them stealing all the time on the clock and not giving the Panthers a chance to get the ball.

Based on our one experience, I say the Terriers win by 2. Or lose by 14.

Brave choice, I know.

Chi Panther
November 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Go MVFC! Please have a little better showing than last year in the playoffs... xprayx

UNI was not a healthy team last year.

Woody Hayes
November 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Absolutely, that is the key. And force it as early as possible. You really have to have a very good DE or OLBs who can force the play. I never understand teams that don't do that.

I think that UNIs line backing core is one of the best in the nation all 3 of them should be all mvfc and theres a possibility that 2 of them will be all americans. This is why i think UNI will win this close contest

OLDMAIN80
November 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM
bump

Houndawg
November 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Rennie is five times the passer he was last year..and twice as healthy id bet

maybe, but I'd still want to stop his running first.

UNIFanSince1983
November 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM
maybe, but I'd still want to stop his running first.

Completely true. Against ISUr we couldn't do much on offense in the first half. In the second half Rennie started running, and it got our offense going. He can throw (and well), but if he gets his running going watch out because we are dangerous then.

SpeedkingATL
November 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Go get em Ankle-biters!

SC-T-Dogg
November 28th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Get Them....................

unigriff
November 29th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Get Them....................

Early line, Panthers by 3.5

I predict 27-21.

Sievertsen hits a huge FG late in the 4th Q to put UNI up 6 and forces Wofford to go the distance of the field for the TD, where Big Ben Boothby gets two sacks and V. Sonie gets a pick to seal the win!

Twentysix
November 29th, 2011, 02:39 PM
UNI wins by taking out woffords starting skill positions.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Early line, Panthers by 3.5

I predict 27-21.

Sievertsen hits a huge FG late in the 4th Q to put UNI up 6 and forces Wofford to go the distance of the field for the TD, where Big Ben Boothby gets two sacks and V. Sonie gets a pick to seal the win!

Hard to get sacks when the other team doesn't pass.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2011, 05:18 PM

what he said.....now if we're in a bad position we will pass but if we have 4 minutes + we'll just run our offense

unigriff
November 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM

Then Rob, apparently you didn't read my post very well and just assumed because you do not like me that what I said was irrelevant. I said late in the 4th Q...(meaning under 5 minutes left)...and up by 6...you would have to infer that Wofford would have to pass to get a TD. They try to run it under 5 minutes left, clock ticking and down by 6....game over.

Gil Dobie
November 30th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Good Luck Panthers :)

HenZoneNation
November 30th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Spot on...When we played GSU last year, they racked up a ton of yards the first half but turned the ball over because we eventually forced them to pitch the ball. Bad things can happen with that pitch. The TO is pretty interesting. When it's working against your team, it's one of the most frustrating things to watch. But when it works in your favor, it's like a well oiled machine.

Key for UNI is to stop the dive, make them pict the ball, and get an early lead. If Wofford can control the line of scrimmage and just methodically drive down the field then they'll win.

My money is on UNI.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Then Rob, apparently you didn't read my post very well and just assumed because you do not like me that what I said was irrelevant. I said late in the 4th Q...(meaning under 5 minutes left)...and up by 6...you would have to infer that Wofford would have to pass to get a TD. They try to run it under 5 minutes left, clock ticking and down by 6....game over.

I bet they still would run it. GSUs TO moves very quickly, I'm sure Wofford can do the same.

I will agree with you on the part about not liking you. Your antics at home and road games during your time at the school were embarrassing, and now you continue to make our fan base look uneducated on message boards. What's there to like?

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM
4:30 is plenty of time to run our offense normally. now <2:00 with >60 yards that's different

As for the turnovers on pitches, that's a good strategy, but if it doesn't work (you're banking on us making a mistake) it can really bite you. ASU tried that strategy on us and essentially we were able to pitch it successfully for a majority of our yards

eaglemachine
November 30th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I bet they still would run it. GSUs TO moves very quickly, I'm sure Wofford can do the same.

When the TO is running good and you have good blocking and a qb that can also pass the ball, you can score quickly just like any other offense. Case in point GSU has had several scoring drives that lasted under 2 mins and several one and two play drives.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=312880290&period=2

http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=313090290

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2011, 11:48 AM
When the TO is running good and you have good blocking and a qb that can also pass the ball, you can score quickly just like any other offense. Case in point GSU has had several scoring drives that lasted under 2 mins and several one and two play drives.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=312880290&period=2

http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=313090290

I watched GSU a few times this year, and as a result, picked em as my champion. When they are on, they are ON.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2011, 07:43 AM

I will agree with you on the part about not liking you. Your antics at home and road games during your time at the school were embarrassing, and now you continue to make our fan base look uneducated on message boards. What's there to like?

Nothing...he is a troll....period!

UNI: 31-20

344Johnson
December 1st, 2011, 08:09 AM
We ran the TO in high school and if you got a decent defense and a good QB...you should win.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
CSJ Preview:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/130-an-fcs-history-lesson-for-sam-houston-state

SeattleGriz
December 2nd, 2011, 11:48 PM
Personally, I think this is going to be the most interesting game of the weekend. Will speak volumes about the oft mentioned conference strength debate.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2011, 07:18 AM
UNI wins 28-20

UNI's defense is very good and too athletic to get pushed around by Wofford.

If Rennie is "on" it could be even a bigger winning margin.

AppMAN04
December 3rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
Wofford runs all over UNI and they tumble like they always do in the playoffs......flip the score 28-20 WOFFDOG

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
Wofford runs all over UNI and they tumble like they always do in the playoffs......flip the score 28-20 WOFFDOG

You may be right. But having seen UNI in person, they are very good....with a very good defense. Watching highlights of Wofford, they have an offense that most teams do not see very often. They might move the ball but UNI is very athletic on defense and will stop them enough to win.

UNIFanSince1983
December 3rd, 2011, 09:16 AM

People always say we tumble in the playoffs, but we have only lost one home first round playoff game. And that was last year when we shouldn't have even been a playoff team. We also only lost 4 total times in a first round game. There was talk however that there were only 4600 tickets sold on Wednesday. If we don't get people to come out and watch it might be rough for our players. Wofford worries me. They are a very talented football team and play an offense you don't get to see a lot (unless you play in the SoCon). I think it will be a tough hard fought game. I hope we come out on top, but I really am unsure at this point. Should be a great game, and I cannot wait till 4!!

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
People always say we tumble in the playoffs!

yes they do

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
They say the same thing about Wofford......but I think when you take a closer look at the games, we only "stumbled" once, in the second round to Richmond in 2007

PantherRob82
December 3rd, 2011, 10:15 AM

Like we always do? Outside of last year..

2008-semis
2007-quarters
2005-runner-up
2003-quarters
2001-semis

pretty terrible track record, you're right. xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
December 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Like we always do? Outside of last year..

2008-semis
2007-quarters
2005-runner-up
2003-quarters
2001-semis

pretty terrible track record, you're right. xlolx

Not to mention in all but 1 of those years we lost to the champion. And in the other we lost to the runner-up...

Twentysix
December 3rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
MVFC power! Show the south whats up.

Dgreenwell3
December 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
The claims of worried and uni non success in the playoffs says alot about people's attention spans.

Dgreenwell3
December 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
I am going to pick that physical team from Iowa. I like their style and if rennie gets going, could be a long day for wofford