PDA

View Full Version : Maine @ ASU

Pages : [1] 2 3

Saint3333
November 22nd, 2011, 07:44 AM
Yeah it's a week early, but let's hear it.

What should ASU fans expect? By the look of it Maine runs a balanced offense and strong dline (may lead to their good pass defense).

This is exactly the type of strengths that will pose a problem for ASU.

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
I am confident is ASU's ability to move the ball through the air. However, we have struggled to run the ball in recent weeks and that is a major concern. I think we will come out and try to establish the run game but my hope is that we adapt if it is not working. The offense may have to ride on Jamal Jackson's arm in this one.

Defensively, I have been very impressed all season, especially at home. I like our chances to hold Maine to around 21-24 points, it is our offense that concerns me.

appfan2008
November 22nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
we have become very one dimensional on offense and that is not a good thing... the last time we were this pass happy was '04 and we all remember how that season went!

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
we have become very one dimensional on offense and that is not a good thing... the last time we were this pass happy was '04 and we all remember how that season went!

You are definitely right, OL and RB needs to be a recruiting focus this year. I would love to have more offensive balance but I'm just not sure we have the personnel for it. Unfortunately, our offense may only go as far as JJ takes us unless our run blocking really picks up.

asknoquarter21
November 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
I might be in the minority here, but I think our recent playcalling has improved. I think we have done some things very well that I expect to see a lot in the playoffs.

I think the MOST important thing is that we get Jamal in a rhythm early using short quick passes and screens. Cadet and Miller coming out of the backfield has really given us a dimension that I think can be very beneficial in terms of spreading the defense. Linebackers won't be able to cover these two as they roll into the flats. Add in the fact that Peacock has really found his niche and Quick will consistantly draw double teams.

I agree that our lack of running game has hurt us, but I also feel like we have adjusted well and finally figured out what our offensive line can and cannot do. I have been very encouraged by the offenses ability to use the passing game as an extension of the running game. The only thing I have wanted to see that hasn't been incorporated yet was more use of designed and set up HB screens.

asucrutch23
November 22nd, 2011, 09:11 AM
I think the MOST important thing is that we get Jamal in a rhythm early using short quick passes and screens. Cadet and Miller coming out of the backfield has really given us a dimension that I think can be very beneficial in terms of spreading the defense. Linebackers won't be able to cover these two as they roll into the flats. Add in the fact that Peacock has really found his niche and Quick will consistantly draw double teams.

I agree that our lack of running game has hurt us, but I also feel like we have adjusted well and finally figured out what our offensive line can and cannot do. I have been very encouraged by the offenses ability to using the passing game as an extension of the running game. The only thing I have wanted to see that hasn't been incorporated yet was more use of designed and set up HB screens.

Gotta agree big time here on these bolded points. We have some talented pass-catching runningbacks who need to be utilized in the passing game. And getting Jamal in rhythm, spreading the defense, then mixing in the longer shots downfield with screens and draws will be paramount for App to succeed in the playoffs. We do tend to be predictable on 1st down, but I thought the 1st down playcalling was much improved in the 2nd half of the Elon game. We can't abandon the run completely, but using the occasional swing pass as opposed to forcing the run game on 1st down could spell success for the offense. xtwocentsx

SpeedkingATL
November 22nd, 2011, 09:11 AM
I might be in the minority here, but I think our recent playcalling has improved. I think we have done some things very well that I expect to see a lot in the playoffs.

I agree that our lack of running game has hurt us, but I also feel like we have adjusted well and finally figured out what our offensive line can and cannot do. I have been very encouraged by the offenses ability to using the passing game as an extension of the running game. The only thing I have wanted to see that hasn't been incorporated yet was more use of designed and set up HB screens.

I agree with you totally. App has no inside running game but the screens and swing passes work almost like running plays for this offense. It appears the staff has finally figured out that the 0-line gets little push in the middle so just getting the ball to the skill athletes with short passes is the way to go. This App team will go as far as the defense carries them and at times they have been dominate and at other times not so much. Like Apps chances at The Rock against Maine, and probably wouldn't favor App to win on the road. This is just a different team at home than on the road.

UMaineD
November 22nd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Maine had the best Pass Defense in the CAA and the #1 sack leader in the CAA. I expect a lot of pressure on the QB from Maine.

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 09:21 AM
Just heard that kick-off is at 2:00 PM, no TV coverage. These two factors, along with free student admission, will hopefully result in strong attendance.

SpeedkingATL
November 22nd, 2011, 09:22 AM
Maine had the best Pass Defense in the CAA and the #1 sack leader in the CAA. I expect a lot of pressure on the QB from Maine.

App receivers will get open. JJ having time to get the ball to them against a good pass rush is a big, big question especially with little running game to slow the pass rush. If that's the case expect a lot of screens and dump offs and a jet speed no huddle to wear down the pass rushers.

SideLine Shooter
November 22nd, 2011, 09:24 AM
Just heard that kick-off is at 2:00 PM, no TV coverage. These two factors, along with free student admission, will hopefully result in strong attendance.

Let's hope so!!!

straightshooter
November 22nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
Wow...on the second page of the thread and not a single CAA or Maine poster yet.

ccd494
November 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
a.) the game is two weeks away, calm down.

b.) we all remember the last time Maine just shut up and showed up in Boone.

Apphole
November 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Wow...on the second page of the thread and not a single CAA or Maine poster yet.

There's one on the first page.

Wildcat80
November 22nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
ASU better not overlook the Bears. If they show up ready to play they can come back with the W.

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
ASU better not overlook the Bears. If they show up ready to play they can come back with the W.

If we lose, it will not be because we overlooked them. Maine is a good team and they have won in Boone before. I do like ASU playing at home but this is a tough draw.

asucrutch23
November 22nd, 2011, 10:02 AM

Who isn't calm?? Why don't we just discuss the game. It's a message board, if we want to discuss a game that's 3 years away, it's our prerogative.

Yes we know last time Maine "shut up and showed up in Boone," it left with a victory over a favored App team. What should Maine's strategy be to attempt to do the same thing again? 2nd team All-CAA quarterback. For ASU fans who haven't seen him, what are his strengths and weaknesses? The App D has shown they are better at home than away, but can be inconsistent at best. What will Maine do to exploit the App D?

On defense, will Maine blitz heavily or rely on the front 4 to get to the QB? Jamal handled the blitz fairly well against Elon and seems to have gotten better at maintaining poise and checking down (Miller TD against Elon). Is Maine susceptible to the deep ball? App doesn't go deep often, but Brian Quick can go up and get it with the best. Expect App to take a couple shots if we can get some time to throw.

The App O-line struggles have been well documented. Our run blocking is not what it has been in years past. But like I said earlier in the thread, don't expect for us to abandon the run. We haven't all season. The key to App scoring in this game will be to mix it up and obviously not turning the ball over. We can't come out against Maine the way we did against Elon. Turnovers will kill you in the playoffs.

UMaineD
November 22nd, 2011, 10:09 AM

guess you missed me :-)

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM

This season has gone better than that season. That season we won no road games (this season - 2) and that season we didn't make the playoffs (this season we did). I understand the comparison, but two totally different teams.

T-Dog
November 22nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
It's never too early to talk about the next football game. xbeerchugxxbeerdrinkx

biggie
November 22nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Has Maine played an option QB? Meaning do they just tend to pin their ears back and rush or do they contain? If they do not contain JJ may have good results by running.

Given S/CB for Maine are 5'10" to 6' could be some jump balls thrown up to Quick. Or as big as the S/CB are, most close to 200lb, they may try more DP on go routes to use his speed (which we haven't used enough at WR to me).

Biggest impact may be getting Baker-Boney back in the lineup. Definately the best inside runner on the team.

WH49er
November 22nd, 2011, 10:46 AM

App. State's b-ball team plays Kentucky @ Noon that day so I would assume a decent amount of fans may show up late.

Saint3333
November 22nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
App. State's b-ball team plays Kentucky @ Noon that day so I would assume a decent amount of fans may show up late.

Funny so does UNCC's.

Later troll.

Mattymc727
November 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
I think Maine is a better team than UNH (UNH got a little lucky in the win last week). Maine has a very solid defense and run game. Warren Smith doesnt scare me though (He made some bad throws last week, and i didnt see him play all year so correct me Maine fans if Im wrong). However, I think the SOCON is better than the CAA this year, couple that with App being home, I would give App the edge.

Apphole
November 22nd, 2011, 11:28 AM

Good, I get to hear of the Concord 30 point loss just prior to kickoff to lift my spirits. Who's your football team playing? Butler Highschool? I'm pretty sure they have a bigger stadium than you will.

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 11:40 AM

Basketball smack (on a football board) after an 18-point loss to Lamar? Interesting.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2011, 11:49 AM
I think Maine will do well if they play within themselves. Maine was on their way to winning until Warren Smith tried to throw the ball down the field. PuShaun Brown is a very capable RB, and Smith is very accurate on 4-5 yard routes. Maine seems to run curl routes with every WR, and he just picks the one that is open and delivers the ball to them.

I think something that might play a roll is the lack of discipline in the secondary. I can't even count the amount of personal fouls the secondary committed against UNH. May have been a one-time thing, though.

Rekdiver
November 22nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Well Football is all they have to talk about.....and their golf team.

AppAlum2003
November 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM

LOL... knew we'd get some of these. Not sure what the 2002 teams have to do with the 2011 teams. The players from those teams are in their early 30s.

mainejeff
November 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
Which Maine team will show up..........the comeback kids that beat JMU and Richmond on the road.........or the mostly unimpressive one that has showed up the last 3 weeks vs. Towson, UMass and UNH?

Worrisome for Maine fans - the last 3 games, Maine's D has given up 378 yards and 30 points per game. Quite frankly.......they have not looked good.

On the positive side, this Maine team IS resilient and have multiple comeback wins under their belt against some pretty decent competition. They also have some big play capability on both sides of the ball. The kicking game has been solid. Penalties can still be a problem if the team doesn't have their "head" in the game. Maine has NOT been able to hold leads and put teams away all season........so if the Black Bears get a win, it will probably be by a TD or less.

biggie
November 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Am glad that their can't be SoCon officials, maybe it can be officated decently. 1 Holding penalty against all of our SoCon opponents this year (that we declined).

mainejeff
November 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Just so this doesn't get lost on Page 3............;)

Which Maine team will show up..........the comeback kids that beat JMU and Richmond on the road.........or the mostly unimpressive one that has showed up the last 3 weeks vs. Towson, UMass and UNH?

Worrisome for Maine fans - the last 3 games, Maine's D has given up 378 yards and 30 points per game. Quite frankly.......they have not looked good.

On the positive side, this Maine team IS resilient and have multiple comeback wins under their belt against some pretty decent competition. They also have some big play capability on both sides of the ball. The kicking game has been solid. Penalties can still be a problem if the team doesn't have their "head" in the game. Maine has NOT been able to hold leads and put teams away all season........so if the Black Bears get a win, it will probably be by a TD or less.

Saint3333
November 22nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
I don't think Maine wins in a double digit comeback type game. If ASU can force Maine to be more of a passing team (get up early) it will be a long day for the Black Bears.

ccd494
November 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
I don't think Maine wins in a double digit comeback type game. If ASU can force Maine to be more of a passing team (get up early) it will be a long day for the Black Bears.

That's the thing though, when Maine gets down (like they did @ JMU, @ Richmond, @ UNH, vs. Towson, vs. UMass), they don't start throwing the ball around to catch up. They just keep running their stuff. The UNH game they started taking a few shots downfield, and lo and behold, that was one of the two games where they didn't catch back up. Gotta think they learned from that.

This is also a team that plays on pure emotion (and has been since Cosgrove took over 45 years ago), it leads to a lot of big hits and big defensive plays/takeaways, but it can lead to a lot of personal fouls.

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
If Maine wins this game, I think it will likely be because they jump on us early as opposed to mounting a comeback. Both of our FCS losses this year came after getting in a 14-0 hole in the 1st Quarter and not being able to dig our way out. If ASU can get ahead early and let the defense pin their ears back, I like our chances.

However, Appalachian has been prone to giving up big plays early, so who knows whether that will happen.

Saint3333
November 22nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
That's the thing though, when Maine gets down (like they did @ JMU, @ Richmond, @ UNH, vs. Towson, vs. UMass), they don't start throwing the ball around to catch up. They just keep running their stuff. The UNH game they started taking a few shots downfield, and lo and behold, that was one of the two games where they didn't catch back up. Gotta think they learned from that.

This is also a team that plays on pure emotion (and has been since Cosgrove took over 45 years ago), it leads to a lot of big hits and big defensive plays/takeaways, but it can lead to a lot of personal fouls.

Emotion is one thing ASU hasn't lacked at home this year. If they start rolling, especially the defense just piles on. The lateral speed of ASU's defense is definitely top 5 at this level.

james_lawfirm
November 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Biggest impact may be getting Baker-Boney back in the lineup. Definately the best inside runner on the team.

I think this may have a larger impact than many fans realize. My son noticed, on the fine PBS broadcast hosted by Ernie & Brrt, that just as the game ended, Cadet went up to Baker-Boney on the sidelines & appeared to say "you get to play now". I hoping he's back at 100% for the Maine game.

james_lawfirm
November 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Emotion is one thing ASU hasn't lacked at home this year. If they start rolling, especially the defense just piles on. The lateral speed of ASU's defense is definitely top 5 at this level.

Long as we keep our helmets on, we'll be fine.

biggie
November 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
I think this may have a larger impact than many fans realize. My son noticed, on the fine PBS broadcast hosted by Ernie & Brrt, that just as the game ended, Cadet went up to Baker-Boney on the sidelines & appeared to say "you get to play now". I hoping he's back at 100% for the Maine game.
DJ/Coach Moore were discussing that he was close to being able to play vs Elon, so would hope is good after another 2 weeks off (well week if he starts practing next week).

Block-A
November 22nd, 2011, 05:28 PM

Yes we have sorely missed him. Don't know how rusty he'll be, but hopefully he can add some punch back to our run game

SideLine Shooter
November 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Hate to change the subject (not really) but here is a link to ASU-Elon Game Photos.

http://sidelineshooter.smugmug.com/Sports/ASU-2011-Season/ASU-Elon-Football/20237091_D4834c#1599583437_MZwGN2D

UMaineD
November 23rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
LETS GO MAINE!

+1 :)

Mountaineer
November 23rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
So any Mainers plan on making it down for the game? xhugx

ASU_Fanatic
November 23rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
I still don't know if I'll be at this game, my school is playing for a trip to the state championship Friday so if they win I'm going to that instead of the App game.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 23rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
So any Mainers plan on making it down for the game? xhugx

Time for hockey and basketball in Derry and Salem's Lot.

UMaineD
November 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
Will be there

AppMAN04
November 24th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Gonna be a long trip back home

boonegoon
November 24th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Will be there

Awesome! Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels.

UMaineD
November 24th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Awesome! Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels.

Thanks and same to you

GridCaptain
November 24th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Black Bears are tough.

Mountaineer#96
November 24th, 2011, 11:03 AM
This really boils down to what ASU team shows up onto the field on gameday. At home this team has been something special, they have made plays when they had to and it even seemed as if the coaching staff felt better, taking risks, better play calling, etc.

I have little doubt that our team is more athletic than Maine, where I have my issues is in the locker room.......is our team inspired anymore?

mainejeff
November 24th, 2011, 11:15 AM
This really boils down to what ASU team shows up onto the field on gameday. At home this team has been something special, they have made plays when they had to and it even seemed as if the coaching staff felt better, taking risks, better play calling, etc.

I have little doubt that our team is more athletic than Maine, where I have my issues is in the locker room.......is our team inspired anymore?

Maine has some athletes.......much more overall athleticism than they did 5-10 years ago. Most of their recruits now come from NY/NJ/PA/MD.

ericsaid
November 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Maine has some athletes.......much more overall athleticism than they did 5-10 years ago. Most of their recruits now come from NY/NJ/PA/MD.

I know that seems a little bit south to you Maine folk. But the number of athletes from Georgia, South carolina, and Florida dominate Apps roster. As we've seen in years past, sheer athleticism will not win games. The coaches and players need to be locked in. I think with the recruits they brought in during the National Championship thought is was a gimmick which is why App has slipped up. The coaches may have gotten a little lethargic too. It's going to take some great coaching and desire to win this game for either team.

TwoFeathers
November 24th, 2011, 04:36 PM

There was one... but only one.

TwoFeathers
November 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Gonna be a long trip back home

Famous last words... anyone remember Villanova from last year? I'm sure there were similar comments then as well.

TwoFeathers
November 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Has Maine played an option QB? Meaning do they just tend to pin their ears back and rush or do they contain? If they do not contain JJ may have good results by running.

Given S/CB for Maine are 5'10" to 6' could be some jump balls thrown up to Quick. Or as big as the S/CB are, most close to 200lb, they may try more DP on go routes to use his speed (which we haven't used enough at WR to me).

Yes, JMU, and they won that game in Harrisonburg.

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Maine is a tough team but not as good as the Nova team that whopped up on Appy St last year - my money is on ASU to pull it out

Bearwitness
November 24th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Maine has to hope they get healthy during the extra week off. They were the walking wounded during the last three games when they lost two of three. Halfway through the Towson game they lost Maurice McDonald, their all-conference first team wide receiver to a foot injury. He may not return this year.

They have played the last three games without one of their starting linebackers and then lost his backup the following week. Against New Hampshire they were down to only three linebackers left who had seen action this year. One of them was coming back from a knee injury that sidelined him for several games.

Pushaun Brown, their starting running back has been hampered by a hamstring injury since midseason, missed the Towson game and has been splitting time the last two games. Warren Smith the QB, is battling wrist and shoulder problems and one of their starting defensive ends has missed the last two games with a broken hand.

Smith has not played as well the last two or three weeks as earlier in the season, but he's also had to adjust to new receivers along the way. Over the course of the season he has lost his top three receivers, Buttles, Johnson and now McDonald. He's throwing to two redshirt freshmen, and a sophomore TE, Justin Perillo, who you will see is very good. Six of his 10 interceptions this year have happened in the last three games while he's had to adjust to new targets. He's had to resort to short passes as his new receivers struggle to create separation downfield.

Coming off their first bye week, Maine beat both Delaware and James Madison in successive weeks so they respond well to rest and preparation. If they get some bodies back, Appalachian State is going to have their hands full and then some. Being on the road in a hostile environment doesn't intimidate Maine at all. They relish it. It should be a great game.

james_lawfirm
November 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Maine has to hope they get healthy during the extra week off. They were the walking wounded during the last three games when they lost two of three. Halfway through the Towson game they lost Maurice McDonald, their all-conference first team wide receiver to a foot injury. He may not return this year.

They have played the last three games without one of their starting linebackers and then lost his backup the following week. Against New Hampshire they were down to only three linebackers left who had seen action this year. One of them was coming back from a knee injury that sidelined him for several games.

Pushaun Brown, their starting running back has been hampered by a hamstring injury since midseason, missed the Towson game and has been splitting time the last two games. Warren Smith the QB, is battling wrist and shoulder problems and one of their starting defensive ends has missed the last two games with a broken hand.

Smith has not played as well the last two or three weeks as earlier in the season, but he's also had to adjust to new receivers along the way. Over the course of the season he has lost his top three receivers, Buttles, Johnson and now McDonald. He's throwing to two redshirt freshmen, and a sophomore TE, Dustin Perillo, who you will see is very good. Six of his 10 interceptions this year have happened in the last three games while he's had to adjust to new targets. He's had to resort to short passes as his new receivers struggle to create separation downfield.

Coming off their first bye week, Maine beat both Delaware and James Madison in successive weeks so they respond well to rest and preparation. If they get some bodies back, Appalachian State is going to have their hands full and then some. Being on the road in a hostile environment doesn't intimidate Maine at all. They relish it. It should be a great game.

Thanks for the info. I am sure App will use the bye week to get some players back from the injured list too. I think the main one will be Baker-Boney, RB.

Good luck & safe travels to the Black Bears and their fans coming to Boone. Let us know if you need suggestions on where to stay or eat when you're here.

I'm looking forward to a great game.

mainejeff
November 24th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I know that seems a little bit south to you Maine folk. But the number of athletes from Georgia, South carolina, and Florida dominate Apps roster. As we've seen in years past, sheer athleticism will not win games. The coaches and players need to be locked in. I think with the recruits they brought in during the National Championship thought is was a gimmick which is why App has slipped up. The coaches may have gotten a little lethargic too. It's going to take some great coaching and desire to win this game for either team.

Agreed.

Regarding the athletes for Maine.......I know that the Mid-Atlantic isn't "the South" (duh!)........but Maine used to recruit almost exclusively in New England, so it's a big improvement for them!

mainejeff
November 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Being on the road in a hostile environment doesn't intimidate Maine at all. They relish it. It should be a great game.

That's another big change with Maine during the past 5-10 years........they actually win on the road now. I think that once they started playing a steady annual diet of FBS programs......all the other road games (in FCS) have become less daunting and intimidating.

Bearwitness
November 24th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Here are three highlight clips of Maine. The first is the Pitt game where the defense had seven sacks; the second, the 31-15 win over playoff team Albany; and the third, the 25-24 win at James Madison. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK00OIoxwls&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMvqUix5N7g&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHDsKb1_YM&feature=related

Longhorn
November 24th, 2011, 11:28 PM

I wouldn't count on that. Maine has a very solid team, and their passing is disciplined and effective.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 25th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Yes, JMU, and they won that game in Harrisonburg.

This was an answer about whether Maine had played a team with an Option QB. While JMU has an option spread offense, our QB for that game was Jace Edwards, who ran the offense with a more traditional set of calls than the option we run with Thorpe at the helm. He did a good job, but I am not sure I would call Edwards, who was only in his first game as a starter, an true option QB.

One thing that JMU failed to do was cover the TE. His is big, seemingly slow, but has great hands. Many 3rd downs seemed to be converted by this guy. I dunno - maybe our guys just underestimated him, but he was clutch when the Black Bears needed it.

The Maine QB is excellent. He was the best that JMU faced from what I saw. Nothing flashy, just a great field general that did not make mistakes. Solid. Not the measurables of a Joe Flacco, but that kind of swagger and cool head under pressure with great instincts.

Tubby Raymond
November 25th, 2011, 02:20 AM

Jack Cosgrove has sufferred under the constant barbs from the likes of MJ who still have not given Coach Jack his due. Back on the bandwagon all of a sudden? Ankle almost ready to be twisted and turned jumping off.

GridCaptain
November 25th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Cosgrove is a tyrant and will have his guys ready for this one at The Rock. I still think ASU would win this one 8/10 but would not be surprised to see Maine pull it out.

boonegoon
November 25th, 2011, 06:42 AM
This was an answer about whether Maine had played a team with an Option QB. While JMU has an option spread offense, our QB for that game was Jace Edwards, who ran the offense with a more traditional set of calls than the option we run with Thorpe at the helm. He did a good job, but I am not sure I would call Edwards, who was only in his first game as a starter, an true option QB.

One thing that JMU failed to do was cover the TE. His is big, seemingly slow, but has great hands. Many 3rd downs seemed to be converted by this guy. I dunno - maybe our guys just underestimated him, but he was clutch when the Black Bears needed it.

The Maine QB is excellent. He was the best that JMU faced from what I saw. Nothing flashy, just a great field general that did not make mistakes. Solid. Not the measurables of a Joe Flacco, but that kind of swagger and cool head under pressure with great instincts.

Thanks for the info. This is what is so special about the FCS playoffs. We, truly, don't know how our teams are going to line up. Looking at the stats for the year for APP and Maine, they are very similar. The one that sticks out to me is the penalties. App is in the top ten in penalties, which is a huge improvement over years past.
Last year App whipped the third ranked offense in Western Illinois then got whipped by Nova. You just don't know.

SpeedkingATL
November 25th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Famous last words... anyone remember Villanova from last year? I'm sure there were similar comments then as well.

Wish you had not reminded me of that one. That was THE WORST performance by an App team that I've witnessed at The Rock in decades. App plays like that it will be a long trip back to ATL. I don't see that happening this year but certainly respect this Maine team.

AppStsGr8
November 25th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Will be there

Travel safely. If you want some good eats before the game, join us for a little tailgating. We love talking good football with good folks.

UMaineD
November 25th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Travel safely. If you want some good eats before the game, join us for a little tailgating. We love talking good football with good folks.

Sounds great. We will be there.

UNH72Plus
November 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Maine self-destructed against UNH. They stopped the Wildcats deep in their own territory only to get a stupid unsportsmenlike penalty for mouthing off to the ref. They also gave up three interceptions and a crucial fumble on a kick-off. If they can eliminate the turnovers and keep their mouths shut they should do well. They have a couple of good safeties and a balanced offense.

mainejeff
November 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Jack Cosgrove has sufferred under the constant barbs from the likes of MJ who still have not given Coach Jack his due. Back on the bandwagon all of a sudden? Ankle almost ready to be twisted and turned jumping off.

Go back to MBR, Summers Eve...........

TwoFeathers
November 25th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Wish you had not reminded me of that one. That was THE WORST performance by an App team that I've witnessed at The Rock in decades. App plays like that it will be a long trip back to ATL. I don't see that happening this year but certainly respect this Maine team.

Don't worry, Maine doesn't have a player named 'Sczur'...

ccd494
November 25th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Go back to MBR, Summers Eve...........

I decided to do my bi-monthly check in over there this morning, great to see people still calling for Treister to start and to bench Smith.

mainejeff
November 26th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I decided to do my bi-monthly check in over there this morning, great to see people still calling for Treister to start and to bench Smith.

The place is a mess........the inmates have overrun the asylum. Too bad that is the best (only) thing that we've got for a UMaine message board. :(

ccd494
November 26th, 2011, 08:46 AM
The place is a mess........the inmates have overrun the asylum. Too bad that is the best (only) thing that we've got for a UMaine message board. :(

I think it is a pretty fitting representation of the state of Maine: provincial, small, uninformed, outdated...

dunbar
November 26th, 2011, 08:53 AM
People over there on MBR are dumb. Even the guy running the place doesn't know who to ban. At least I'm the new king of MBR. I actually know what I'm talking about.

EllaGrassoBlvd
November 27th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Maine fan here.

Looking forward to a great game on Saturday. Already purchased tickets and plan on making the flight down with my father. Boone is a little more remote then we had originally thought. Looks like we'll be flying into Charlotte Friday around noon and then driving to Boone where we will be staying until Noon Sunday.

Anything worth checking out Friday night? What about the best places to pregame and tailgate on Saturday morning? Post game stuff?

Also, we haven't booked a hotel room yet as we're trying to figure out where the team will be staying but does anyone have suggestions?

As far as the game goes I'm not really sure what to expect. With Cosgrove at the helm I feel like if we're confident we're going to be letdown and when we go in with low expectations we're greeted with a pleasant surprise.

I wouldn't say this is the most talented Black Bear team of recent years but they seem to play with the most heart. I'm STILL not sold on Warren Smith; I think when he has a bad game... he has a BAD game.

I will recognize that he had a good 3/4 of a season however the last few games were a letdown. Hopefully during the off week he studies and comes in prepared.

UMaineD
November 27th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Maine fan here.

Looking forward to a great game on Saturday. Already purchased tickets and plan on making the flight down with my father. Boone is a little more remote then we had originally thought. Looks like we'll be flying into Charlotte Friday around noon and then driving to Boone where we will be staying until Noon Sunday.

Anything worth checking out Friday night? What about the best places to pregame and tailgate on Saturday morning? Post game stuff?

Also, we haven't booked a hotel room yet as we're trying to figure out where the team will be staying but does anyone have suggestions?

As far as the game goes I'm not really sure what to expect. With Cosgrove at the helm I feel like if we're confident we're going to be letdown and when we go in with low expectations we're greeted with a pleasant surprise.

I wouldn't say this is the most talented Black Bear team of recent years but they seem to play with the most heart. I'm STILL not sold on Warren Smith; I think when he has a bad game... he has a BAD game.

I will recognize that he had a good 3/4 of a season however the last few games were a letdown. Hopefully during the off week he studies and comes in prepared.

Lot's of the parents are staying at the Fairfield Marriott in Boone. Happy you and your dad are coming to the game. See you there

james_lawfirm
November 27th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Maine fan here.

Welcome to Boone & ASU come Friday! Safe travels. Most visiting teams stay at the old Holiday Inn in Banner Elk. Not sure its still a Holiday Inn, but its the only motel in Banner Elk. Banner Elk is about ten miles from Boone. If you cannot find it, there are a number of nice motels in Boone. Best place to tailgate is the Stadium Lot. However, actually parking there will be a problem, as parking is by permit only. I suggest parking in one of the nearby public parking areas (should be clearly marked) & walking toward the stadium. There will be plenty of ASU tailgaters who will welcome Maine fans. Tailgating will be in full swing by 11:00, maybe earlier. There are a number of good restaurants in Boone. My favorites are Casa Rustica (Italian cuisine) & Makotos (my family's post game tradition for 25 years). If you get up early enough (9:00 am-ish), check out Boone downtown, consisting of King Street & especially the Mast General Store, before the game.

Be sure to wear your Black Bear attire Friday night.

asumike83
November 27th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Maine fan here.

Excellent, I hope you enjoy the trip! As for hotels, I would suggest the Fairfield Inn on Highway 321. Nice place, reasonably priced and only about 10 mins from the stadium.

For parking, there are several lots on Rivers St. by Cafe Portofino that you can park in and walk to the stadium in about 10 minutes. There is also a church on King St. by the Earth Fare that has parking spots for donations (I usually give $5-$10). From there, I would walk to the stadium and tailgate, should have no problem finding some ASU folks to take you in!

There are a lot of good things to check out in the Boone area. If you're into the outdoors thing, ride up to the Blue Ridge Parkway or Grandfather Mountain. Downtown Blowing Rock is a good time as well, you will ride right past it on 321 on your way in from Charlotte. I would also suggest trying Cafe Portofino in Boone or the Mellow Mushroom on King St., both good food, good beer selection and a fun crowd.

I am looking forward to the game as well, also making the trip from Charlotte. I think it will all come down to how the game starts. If the ASU offense comes out firing and gets an early lead, I really like our chances. If we dig ourselves in a hole, it could be an early exit for my Mountaineers. Either way, I am expecting a great game. Good luck and enjoy your trip to Boone!

Feel free to send me a PM when you get up there if you need any pointers.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Forget hotels, Cabins are the way to go in Boone! I can't remember the name of the place we stayed as it was a friend who made the reservation, but you can rent them for 2 nights and it is highly worth it for the price.

Good Luck Maine! Put another crack in "the Rock" for the CAA!

boonegoon
November 27th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Forget hotels, Cabins are the way to go in Boone! I can't remember the name of the place we stayed as it was a friend who made the reservation, but you can rent them for 2 nights and it is highly worth it for the price.

Good Luck Maine! Put another crack in "the Rock" for the CAA!
I agree. I think "rentourcabins.com" or something has lots of choices. A good place to stay is in Willow Valley, just south of Boone off 105. Baird's Creek Road. Three bedrooms and a private hot tub.

ASUG8
November 27th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I agree. I think "rentourcabins.com" or something has lots of choices. A good place to stay is in Willow Valley, just south of Boone off 105. Baird's Creek Road. Three bedrooms and a private hot tub.

Try logcabinrentals.com. Lots of great high end cabins for about the price of a hotel.

Srdnaty
November 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
If Maine wins this game, I think it will likely be because they jump on us early as opposed to mounting a comeback. Both of our FCS losses this year came after getting in a 14-0 hole in the 1st Quarter and not being able to dig our way out. If ASU can get ahead early and let the defense pin their ears back, I like our chances.

However, Appalachian has been prone to giving up big plays early, so who knows whether that will happen.

I would say the opposite. Maine has a tendency to play better from behind. They tend to get conservative with a lead which normally results in a loss. Being behind forces our staff to grow a pair. Our biggest wins has been games were we are trailing.

mainejeff
November 27th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I would say the opposite. Maine has a tendency to play better from behind. They tend to get conservative with a lead which normally results in a loss. Being behind forces our staff to grow a pair. Our biggest wins has been games were we are trailing.

Yeah, Maine has a very difficult time holding and/or building upon leads..........don't know what it is, but they just don't have that "killer instinct" with the lead.

AppStsGr8
November 27th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Maine fan here.

The Fairfield Inn in Boone is just fine and close. Banner Elk, West Jefferson, Blowing Rock also have places to stay and aren't too far away. Right now the weather is unseasonably warm; however, we're looking for cooler temps to arrive during the week. Be sure to pack for all sorts of weather - rain, snow, sleet, warm, sunny ... Boone can be all of those on any day it seems.

I agree with others who have suggested parking and walking toward the stadium to find a tailgate. If you're polite and know your football as it seems from your post, you'll have no trouble finding folks to join for tailgating. Most tailgating will wind up around 1:15 or a little after so folks can get into the stadium. Your walk to the stadium may take a little more time than you might think. While the distances are not great, there's no such thing as "flat" in Boone. Be sure to wear good shoes for walking.

Your drive from Charlotte should be an easy one. Boone is not served by any airports but is within easy driving distance of several - Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Hickory, Asheville. Charlotte is the largest and easiest in my mind. Plan on about two hours from CLT to Boone. The drive is easy - I-85 South to 321 North. 321 runs right through the middle of Boone.

Restaurants other than ones already mentioned in Boone - Char, Mellow Mushroom, Crave.

Travel safely. Here's to a great game Saturday!

biggie
November 28th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Early weather outlook is clear mid 40s for highs on Saturday. Upper 20s at night.

For those out of towners:
http://booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

Cleets
November 28th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I can't even imagine going into Boony and coming out with a win (crazy)
It's going to be a MADHOUSE - This will be a test for sure

appfan2008
November 28th, 2011, 10:08 AM
if you are going with a hotel room better book soon they always fill up on game weekends...
just sayin... i live 8 minutes from the stadium so not an issue for me!

Skjellyfetti
November 28th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I can't even imagine going into Boony and coming out with a win (crazy)
It's going to be a MADHOUSE - This will be a test for sure

Nah. If it were a regular season game I'd agree with you... but, it's not an intimidating place to play for early round playoff games. There's still the Kidd Brewer Mojo ala JMU in the first round in 2007... but, our attendance always sucks until the semifinals.

henfan
November 28th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I know that seems a little bit south to you Maine folk.

And now you know why UMaine is in no hurry to leave the CAA. There are added recruiting advantages that they just would not have in, say, the NEC.

asumike83
November 28th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Just did a brief write-up of the game this weekend. Any Maine fans, please feel free to let me know how I did on scouting the Black Bears and if I got anything wrong, other than my prediction of course!

http://appstatemike.blogspot.com/2011/11/2011-playoff-preview-maine-black-bears.html

GlassOnion
November 28th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Nice write up mike.

Maine Coach in the interview cant figure out why App changed to J. Jackson? Interesting. I think the most interesting matchup of the game will be the App D vrs. the Maine O. I love the App front 7, and I want to see them blitz the crap out of Maine like they did to Nooga. I am concerned about pressure on Jackson, in combination with their secondary, could be some TOs. I hope we start out on the short pass and burn them for 7 yards a pass in the first qtr, then start hitting Quick deep on the post. App recievers blocking may be something UM's secondary hasnt seen as much of. This game overall looks to be a good matchup, cant wait for it.

Apphole
November 28th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Maine Coach in the interview cant figure out why App changed to J. Jackson? Interesting.

xlolx

Can't wait to explain that to him via 300 rushing/passing yards from the man

Apphole
November 28th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Enough about where all the maniacs will be sleeping Friday night. It's time to get revenge for 2002 and prove to the rest of the FCS that we are the same powerhouse that we have been for the last 6 years. I agree with the above in that I expect a lot of quick passes to avoid the rush/secondary. I'm sure they could never match our speed and our O-line is questionable at best, so I would like to see a lot of pitches and reverses to the outside. Miller and Cadet should toast some people.

Question for those familiar with Maine, does the offense use auditory play calls? With students getting in free/being in school and thanksgiving in the past, I think we will get 22-25k Saturday. Expect to see the QB telling every lineman individually what play is coming unless you use signals. With the Maine attack being pass happy, I'm ready to see some more blitzing.

I'm not underestimating this Maine team, but I am confident in our players and our winning mentality. I'll be there raising hell starting at 9am. I will be Darth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu7qGkHTBxw) again as well. That was certainly a good omen for the GaSo game.

Prediction 35-24 Apps

asumike83
November 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Nice write up mike.

Maine Coach in the interview cant figure out why App changed to J. Jackson? Interesting. I think the most interesting matchup of the game will be the App D vrs. the Maine O. I love the App front 7, and I want to see them blitz the crap out of Maine like they did to Nooga. I am concerned about pressure on Jackson, in combination with their secondary, could be some TOs. I hope we start out on the short pass and burn them for 7 yards a pass in the first qtr, then start hitting Quick deep on the post. App recievers blocking may be something UM's secondary hasnt seen as much of. This game overall looks to be a good matchup, cant wait for it.

Thanks!

I agree with you 100%, especially the points in bold. My biggest concern is how our offensive line holds up against a very solid front seven. Their safeties scare me as well, they are excellent at both safety positions. I think Quick will win his one on one battles with the corners but safety help will almost surely be coming. One aspect of Quick's game that is overlooked is his impact on the running game. He is an amazing blocker and I hope that will neutralize the impact their secondary has on the ASU ground game.

Should be a great match-up, Saturday cannot come soon enough!

UMaineD
November 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Nice write up mike.

Maine Coach in the interview

Did I miss an interview someplace?

asumike83
November 28th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Did I miss an interview someplace?

No, it was not mentioned in anything I wrote. I could be wrong (somebody correct me if so), but I believe it was in his weekly radio show that Cosgrove said something to the effect of being surprised that we would bench a guy who was a Payton finalist last season and was not sure why we did it.

For somebody who is not in our conference and does not see all of our games, that is a perfectly reasonable assertion. DP had a great year in 2010, just was not getting it done this season. He'll still be on the field though. He's seen action at WR, CB, kick coverage and kick returns since losing his starting spot.

Bearwitness
November 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Maine Coach in the interview cant figure out why App changed to J. Jackson? Interesting.
Well, it was the Watauga-Democrat reporter that called the move "surprising" in his question, so I think Cosgrove was just agreeing with him.

I think it was a pretty good preview, except, of course, the outcome. xlolx Our concern at Maine is the health of Maurice McDonald and whether or not he will be able to play. He suffered a foot injury in the Towson game and tried to play against UNH (only in for one pass attempt before leaving), and the local paper lists him as "doubtful". A sure-handed possession receiver, his loss would be huge against this defense.

Pushaun Brown is hopefully at full strength at running back, recovered from a troublesome hamstring. He is a great between-the-tackles power runner with breakaway speed. If he is on, he sets up Smith's play-action passing beautifully. While Hood has future potential, he is not in Brown's class, yet.

Strong-side DE Doug Alston missed the last two games with a broken hand in a cast. Linebackers Shaun Bodtmann and Sam Shipley have also missed the last two games. They need all three back to give Maine's defense it's best shot at the upset.

On both sides of the ball, Maine's success depends on making big plays, which they have all season. They won't dominate time of possession on offense nor will they keep the Mountaineers offense under 300 yards for the game. But they will create turnovers on defense and move the ball down the field on offense.

I agree it should be a game in the 31-27 range, but naturally, I'll give the Black Bears the edge.

asumike83
November 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Wow, thanks for the updates! I had no idea you guys were so banged up, I have gone in and touched on McDonald's injury in the write-up.

All the articles I've read mentioned that they needed the bye week to get better but I just figured it was typical wear and tear. Being without McDonald would be a huge loss, I hope y'all are at full strength for the game this weekend.

biggie
November 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Maine's weekly teleconf:

Cosgrove:
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/FBMedia/2011/Audio/11_28/TC_Cosgrove.WMA

And their S Coston:
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/FBMedia/2011/Audio/11_28/TC_Coston.WMA

asumike83
November 28th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Maine's weekly teleconf:

Cosgrove:
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/FBMedia/2011/Audio/11_28/TC_Cosgrove.WMA

And their S Coston:
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/FBMedia/2011/Audio/11_28/TC_Coston.WMA

I liked the coach's interview. He pronounced our name wrong but I'll give him a yankee pass! xthumbsupx

He said he did not understand the reasoning behind benching DP but stated that it makes us more difficult to defend with Jamal playing well and DeAndre all over the field causing problems. About like I expected, he sounds concerned about the speed of ASU but confident in his team with all their success on the road this year.

He mentioned that Maine has blocked SEVEN extra points this year! That is amazing and could be huge if it happens this weekend. Every point is big in the playoffs.

Bearwitness
November 28th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I liked the coach's interview. He pronounced our name wrong but I'll give him a yankee pass! xthumbsupx
Nah....he pronounced it right. You guys got it wrong. xlolxxlolx

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/d1345/Appalachian_Appalachian

biggie
November 28th, 2011, 02:23 PM
You can call the mountain chain whatever you want. There is only one to say Applachian when referring to the university. When it doubt just go with App, will help with a smooth day of tailgating if in Boone.

Apphole
November 28th, 2011, 02:28 PM
God help you if you say App-a-lay-chan in Boonetown

boonegoon
November 28th, 2011, 03:05 PM
God help you if you say App-a-lay-chan in Boonetown

Maybe so, but the lay part sure brings back some good memories of Boone, if you know what I mean....xcoolx

The Eagle's Cliff
November 28th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Maybe so, but the lay part sure brings back some good memories of Boone, if you know what I mean....xcoolx

You shouldn't think about goats that wayxsmhx

GlassOnion
November 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Well, it was the Watauga-Democrat reporter that called the move "surprising" in his question, so I think Cosgrove was just agreeing with him.

I think it was a pretty good preview, except, of course, the outcome. xlolx Our concern at Maine is the health of Maurice McDonald and whether or not he will be able to play. He suffered a foot injury in the Towson game and tried to play against UNH (only in for one pass attempt before leaving), and the local paper lists him as "doubtful". A sure-handed possession receiver, his loss would be huge against this defense.

Pushaun Brown is hopefully at full strength at running back, recovered from a troublesome hamstring. He is a great between-the-tackles power runner with breakaway speed. If he is on, he sets up Smith's play-action passing beautifully. While Hood has future potential, he is not in Brown's class, yet.

Strong-side DE Doug Alston missed the last two games with a broken hand in a cast. Linebackers Shaun Bodtmann and Sam Shipley have also missed the last two games. They need all three back to give Maine's defense it's best shot at the upset.

On both sides of the ball, Maine's success depends on making big plays, which they have all season. They won't dominate time of possession on offense nor will they keep the Mountaineers offense under 300 yards for the game. But they will create turnovers on defense and move the ball down the field on offense.

I agree it should be a game in the 31-27 range, but naturally, I'll give the Black Bears the edge.

I was referring to the actual audio clip, I may have taken it wrong, but I think mike got it right above.

I like our matchup with your "between the tackles" power runner. Wylie is a BEAST in the middle this year, and the middle has been CLOSED for the most part this season, excepting 1 or two horrible games against the triple O. With our DL, I dont think you will be seeing the play action set up as well as you have. Our LBs run downhill very much, and they are very fast. Maine's OL however is bigger than most we've seen so far, so I could be wrong, but hopin' Im not. I sure hope your D isnt up to full strength though, our OL needs all the help they can get. This game really reminds me of the Nooga game.

PS, for App fans, how about Kimbrough last week, a LB with a OL all over him, is immoveable, reaches out and makes the tackle for loss!

biggie
November 28th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Kimbrough is probably as big of part of the middle run stopper as the DL, and his absence was big in allowing it vs Woof.

Again hope our middle running is improved if Baker-Boney is back and good to go.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2011, 03:56 PM
The wild-card here is the offensive play-calling by App. If they do a good job then ASU will roll.

AppStsGr8
November 28th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Nah....he pronounced it right. You guys got it wrong. xlolxxlolx

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/d1345/Appalachian_Appalachian

Actually, the correct pronunciation is app-a-latch-un. The mountain range and the region took their names from the Apalachee indians of northern Florida. The history generally says that Hernando DeSoto mistook the Apalachee to be the "norm" in what is now the southeastern United States and applied the name to the mountain range as well as the people.

It is true that folks north of the Mason-Dixon line usually utilize a long A in the third syllable; however, that does not jibe with the origin of the name.

Your dictionary will tell you both pronunciations are acceptable. Your dictionary probably includes the word "ain't" which is not correct either. xthumbsupx

AppMAN04
November 28th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Actually, the correct pronunciation is app-a-latch-un. The mountain range and the region took their names from the Apalachee indians of northern Florida. The history generally says that Hernando DeSoto mistook the Apalachee to be the "norm" in what is now the southeastern United States and applied the name to the mountain range as well as the people.

It is true that folks north of the Mason-Dixon line usually utilize a long A in the third syllable; however, that does not jibe with the origin of the name.

Your dictionary will tell you both pronunciations are acceptable. Your dictionary probably includes the word "ain't" which is not correct either. xthumbsupx

WELL SAID!

Bearwitness
November 28th, 2011, 04:19 PM

Just havin' a little fun...don't get all serious on me, now.

asumike83
November 28th, 2011, 04:26 PM

All in good fun on both sides I believe. You coming down for the game?

Bearwitness
November 28th, 2011, 04:37 PM
All in good fun on both sides I believe. You coming down for the game?
Wish I could but with a planned trip down to Florida to spend X-mas with family later in the month and company coming this weekend, I can't swing it. The missus would divorce me...

Rekdiver
November 28th, 2011, 06:00 PM
You come by my tailgate in the stadium lot. Space 320. we will feed you chili, cornbread and beer. You must wear Maine Garb though so I know that you are not a freeloading M.ountaineer

Cleets
November 28th, 2011, 06:08 PM
You come by my tailgate in the stadium lot. Space 320. we will feed you chili, cornbread and beer. You must wear Maine Garb though so I know that you are not a freeloading M.ountaineer
This seems to be the general rule in Tailgating
Come as a fully dressed out foe and you get the ROYAL TREATMENT

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Wish I could but with a planned trip down to Florida to spend X-mas with family later in the month and company coming this weekend, I can't swing it. The missus would divorce me...

I have but two comments to this here post.

1) Bring her with you; &

2) if she won't come & still divorces you when you do, it'd be worth it!!

HensRock
November 28th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Am glad that their can't be SoCon officials, maybe it can be officated decently. 1 Holding penalty against all of our SoCon opponents this year (that we declined).

Ha. Be careful what you wish for....and PRAY that you don't get a MEAC crew!

asumike83
November 28th, 2011, 07:12 PM

Ah yes, the never-ending battle. I am fortunate enough to have my better half join me at all the ASU games, although I also have the benefit of being within reasonable driving distance of all our opponents as well as Boone. Hopefully y'all have an internet provider with ESPN3 up there, it should be a good one!

appsfan
November 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Welcome to Boone & ASU come Friday! Safe travels. Most visiting teams stay at the old Holiday Inn in Banner Elk. Not sure its still a Holiday Inn, but its the only motel in Banner Elk. Banner Elk is about ten miles from Boone. If you cannot find it, there are a number of nice motels in Boone. Best place to tailgate is the Stadium Lot. However, actually parking there will be a problem, as parking is by permit only. I suggest parking in one of the nearby public parking areas (should be clearly marked) & walking toward the stadium. There will be plenty of ASU tailgaters who will welcome Maine fans. Tailgating will be in full swing by 11:00, maybe earlier. There are a number of good restaurants in Boone. My favorites are Casa Rustica (Italian cuisine) & Makotos (my family's post game tradition for 25 years). If you get up early enough (9:00 am-ish), check out Boone downtown, consisting of King Street & especially the Mast General Store, before the game.

Be sure to wear your Black Bear attire Friday night.

The hotel in Banner Elk is now the Best Western, fyi.

appsfan
November 28th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Mainers are welcome to stop by our spot, 132 Duncan Lot , for an adult beverage before the game...

Bearwitness
November 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Ah yes, the never-ending battle. I am fortunate enough to have my better half join me at all the ASU games, although I also have the benefit of being within reasonable driving distance of all our opponents as well as Boone. Hopefully y'all have an internet provider with ESPN3 up there, it should be a good one!
She's actually a big football fan and were it not for the company visiting would probably fly down with me. She knows how much I love my school. At any rate, I'll have the laptop hooked up to the big screen and be there in spirit. I hope it's a great game!

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 28th, 2011, 09:10 PM

asumike83,
Great overview of the game. My son and I are headed to the game and can't wait. Thanks for answering his questions about where to eat and party. Tailgating sounds like the visitors just park outside of tailgating areas and are welcomed by App State fans. Rerminds me of when we went to Nebraska to see Maine play and were blown away by hospitality of the Cornhuskers.
As was mentioned earlier injuries could be a problem. Really hoping Pushawn Brown is healthy, without him may have to rely on passing attack. Will be in Boone by happy hour on Friday and looking forward to a great game and great time!
GO BLUE!!!

GridCaptain
November 29th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Maine by 4

AppStsGr8
November 29th, 2011, 07:04 AM

Just the teacher in me - no worries. xnodx

Sorry you can't make the game. Like Rekdiver, I would have been glad to treat you to a little Mountaineer tailgating in the stadium lot.

AppStsGr8
November 29th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Okay, Mountaineers, we've got:

Stadium 320
Duncan 132
Stadium 76

Where else can our guests know to look for a warm welcome before the battle?

GaSouthern
November 29th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Appy rolls

LCA131
November 29th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Stadium 320
Duncan 132
Stadium 76

Stadium 193 xthumbsupx

I have lived in Maine before and was always welcomed with open arms...It could have been because my lovely wife was with me but regardless... I look forward to the game and wish everyone safe travels..our menu is not set yet but will certainly have some frosty, foamy beverages and something good to eat...

UMaineD
November 29th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Stadium 193 xthumbsupx

I have lived in Maine before and was always welcomed with open arms...It could have been because my lovely wife was with me but regardless... I look forward to the game and wish everyone safe travels..our menu is not set yet but will certainly have some frosty, foamy beverages and something good to eat...

:-)

asumike83
November 29th, 2011, 08:15 AM
asumike83,
Great overview of the game. My son and I are headed to the game and can't wait. Thanks for answering his questions about where to eat and party. Tailgating sounds like the visitors just park outside of tailgating areas and are welcomed by App State fans. Rerminds me of when we went to Nebraska to see Maine play and were blown away by hospitality of the Cornhuskers.
As was mentioned earlier injuries could be a problem. Really hoping Pushawn Brown is healthy, without him may have to rely on passing attack. Will be in Boone by happy hour on Friday and looking forward to a great game and great time!
GO BLUE!!!

Absolutely, no problem at all! I'm hoping you guys are healthy for the game as well, it would really be a shame to have key players missing for such a big game.

If I had a spot to open up for y'all, I certainly would but I am likely just making a day trip up from Charlotte. Unfortunately, you may not see quite as big of a tailgating scene as you would for a regular season game but it will still be a great time! I would definitely stop by and see these folks for a good pre-game, the Stadium lot is very convenient:

Stadium 320
Duncan 132
Stadium 76

Stadium 193 xthumbsupx

If I get up there early enough, I will stop by with some supplies of my own. Safe travels and good luck!

boonegoon
November 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Stadium 193 xthumbsupx

Wow, been here 2 years before your first post!

SpeedkingATL
November 29th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Ha. Be careful what you wish for....and PRAY that you don't get a MEAC crew!

You were obviously at the NC game in 2007 in Chatty.......

LCA131
November 29th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Wow, been here 2 years before your first post!

Yeah, sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit...I have lurked a bit here and there and post on another site a good bit.

Apphole
November 29th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Enough about where all the maniacs will be sleeping Friday night. It's time to get revenge for 2002 and prove to the rest of the FCS that we are the same powerhouse that we have been for the last 6 years. I agree with the above in that I expect a lot of quick passes to avoid the rush/secondary. I'm sure they could never match our speed and our O-line is questionable at best, so I would like to see a lot of pitches and reverses to the outside. Miller and Cadet should toast some people.

Question for those familiar with Maine, does the offense use auditory play calls? With students getting in free/being in school and thanksgiving in the past, I think we will get 22-25k Saturday. Expect to see the QB telling every lineman individually what play is coming unless you use signals. With the Maine attack being pass happy, I'm ready to see some more blitzing.

I'm not underestimating this Maine team, but I am confident in our players and our winning mentality. I'll be there raising hell starting at 9am. I will be Darth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu7qGkHTBxw) again as well. That was certainly a good omen for the GaSo game.

Prediction 35-24 Apps

Bump. Nobody answered me

boonegoon
November 29th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah, sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit...I have lurked a bit here and there and post on another site a good bit.

Well, nice have you either way.

TheEagleWay
November 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hope App makes its through, I would love a re-match!

biggie
November 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Baker-Boney and Ruff practiced yesterday and are listed as probable, that's good sign at least.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205339758

asumike83
November 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Baker-Boney and Ruff practiced yesterday and are listed as probable, that's good sign at least.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205339758

It would be great to have those guys back, both for the team and them personally. You'd hate to see a couple of seniors miss their last shot at the playoffs and we could definitely use the depth at RB and OL.

When Ruff and Frye graduate, I have some serious concerns about the future of our OL. Oh well, I digress.

biggie
November 29th, 2011, 11:58 AM
App's calls today:

JM:

http://www.goasu.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=8611&id=817489

B Quick:

http://www.goasu.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=8611&id=817402

appstate38
November 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM
It would be great to have those guys back, both for the team and them personally. You'd hate to see a couple of seniors miss their last shot at the playoffs and we could definitely use the depth at RB and OL.

When Ruff and Frye graduate, I have some serious concerns about the future of our OL. Oh well, I digress.

Mike,

I dont think the OL situation is as bad as you suppose when you consider this group has alot of youth and next year they will have the benefit of another year in the weightroom for one thing and more game experience. Dont think the OL will be a problem next year.

asumike83
November 29th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Mike,

I dont think the OL situation is as bad as you suppose when you consider this group has alot of youth and next year they will have the benefit of another year in the weightroom for one thing and more game experience. Dont think the OL will be a problem next year.

I absolutely shared your optimism until Kendall Lamm and Dylan Bostick left the team. I thought those guys were the future at the tackle spots and was excited about their potential. I do like Regan Dufort and Kalan Jones though. Acey has been a pleasant surprise but Graham Fisher has not impressed me much.

Let's hope that this time next year, we are talking about how right you were!

Bearwitness
November 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM
They run a no huddle spread offense, signals sent in from the sideline with Smith calling the final play from the line of scrimmage. The OC, Kevin Bourgoin, calls the plays from above the field rather than the sidelines and they are relayed to Smith with hand signals.

Other teams have tried the blitz against Maine with little success. Smith was only sacked 19 times this season with Towson, Pitt, and JMU each getting him 3 times. He is pretty elusive, a good runner, and not easily rattled. The OL is big, strong and effective protecting him. They are least effective running sweeps.

Smith is a very good QB when he plays the way Cosgrove and Bourgoin want him to. But his hero is Brett Favre, and when he tries to play like him he can get himself in trouble, forcing passes when he should throw them away. His short passing game is effective, but his receivers have to catch the ball and not drop the easy ones.

One thing you can be sure of is this team will be well prepared. If they avoid the stupid personal fouls, keep the Mountaineers offense from working with a short field and play better on special teams, they'll be moving on.

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 29th, 2011, 02:32 PM
They run a no huddle spread offense, signals sent in from the sideline with Smith calling the final play from the line of scrimmage. The OC, Kevin Bourgoin, calls the plays from above the field rather than the sidelines and they are relayed to Smith with hand signals.

Other teams have tried the blitz against Maine with little success. Smith was only sacked 19 times this season with Towson, Pitt, and JMU each getting him 3 times. He is pretty elusive, a good runner, and not easily rattled. The OL is big, strong and effective protecting him. They are least effective running sweeps.

Smith is a very good QB when he plays the way Cosgrove and Bourgoin want him to. But his hero is Brett Favre, and when he tries to play like him he can get himself in trouble, forcing passes when he should throw them away. His short passing game is effective, but his receivers have to catch the ball and not drop the easy ones.

One thing you can be sure of is this team will be well prepared. If they avoid the stupid personal fouls, keep the Mountaineers offense from working with a short field and play better on special teams, they'll be moving on.

Not sure if I totally understand where Apphole is coming from? R U meaning that the crowd noise will cause the QB to have difficultly in communicating the play to the line? If this is correct I hope that playing at Pitt, JMU and Richmond will have us somewhat prepared for that type of environment.

I pretty much agree with Bearwitness and his assesment of our team. One thing that changed dramatically this season over the past was the abandoment of the QB option, QB draw and dives. Not sure why it happened just very glad it did. Now when we run a Qb draw it works whereas before we ran it so much it fooled no one.

GlassOnion
November 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Not sure if I totally understand where Apphole is coming from? R U meaning that the crowd noise will cause the QB to have difficultly in communicating the play to the line? If this is correct I hope that playing at Pitt, JMU and Richmond will have us somewhat prepared for that type of environment.

I dont think crowd noise will be an issue when it comes to UM's offense. It helps our team, particularly our defense far more than it hurts any other team. The App D feeds off of it.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Sounds like the almost-Canadian team that will be in Boone Saturday may be unstoppable. Guess we do not have much of a chance. Should we maybe play the game anyway? Guess we are contracturally liable. Just hope we do not lose by too much.

UMaineD
November 29th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Sounds like the almost-Canadian team that will be in Boone Saturday may be unstoppable. Guess we do not have much of a chance. Should we maybe play the game anyway? Guess we are contracturally liable. Just hope we do not lose by too much.

I knew there had to be one in the bunch, actually I think most every App fan on this site has been quite gracious. To bad you ruined it Thom. Forgive us "almost canadian" fans for wanting to believe in our team. I guess it's okay for you to do so but not us....hmmmmmm

GlassOnion
November 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I knew there had to be one in the bunch, actually I think most every App fan on this site has been quite gracious. To bad you ruined it Thom. Forgive us "almost canadian" fans for wanting to believe in our team. I guess it's okay for you to do so but not us....hmmmmmm

Shut up and stop believeing in your team, EH?

Just kidding, cant wait to see you guys down here, this two weeks has crawled by!

When is the team getting here? Friday? If they come before that, they may want to pack a canoe.

Bearwitness
November 29th, 2011, 05:01 PM
We're not being cocky here, by any means. A couple of people had asked for our assessments of the team and how they play the game. We've just been trying to offer some of our own insights, not proclaim them to be the greatest thing since Swiss cheese.

How about offering a review of your team and some of the players and things we Maine fans should be watching for? We've pointed out weaknesses and strengths but haven't heard much of what to expect on the other side of the ball.

I agree with MaineD. Most of you guys have been great to go back and forth with, but there's always at least one...

asumike83
November 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM
How about offering a review of your team and some of the players and things we Maine fans should be watching for? We've pointed out weaknesses and strengths but haven't heard much of what to expect on the other side of the ball.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Weaknesses: First and foremost, inconsistent play from the offensive line. A combination of youth and attrition has left us a bit thin up front. We will be getting our senior starter at RG back which should help, but I am concerned about run blocking and protection. Although secondary is certainly not a weakness for ASU, we are prone to gamble on interceptions and become prone to big plays in the air.

Strengths: Wide receivers, linebackers and quarterback. Everyone knows about Brian Quick at the WR position. He is 6-5, 220 lbs. with great hands, run-blocking ability and strong route running. Likely the first FCS player drafted, I'm sure this is being pounded into the Maine player's heads. However, our depth behind him has really improved throughout the year. If he is double covered, Andrew Peacock and Tony Washington will take the underneath routes and use their good speed to get chunks of yards in the open field. Jamal Jackson has been impressive since taking over at QB. He is tall enough at 6-3 to have good vision over the line and has the quickness to extend plays or take off to get first downs. An accurate passer with poise beyond his experience. Lastly, our linebackers have been exceptional all year. They have great lateral quickness and are sure tacklers, especially Jeremy Kimbrough in the middle.

To summarize, if our line can give us time to operate then we have the weapons to score points. The defense has been prone to big plays but is opportunistic and strong up front. As with most young teams, we do make mistakes but ASU has speed to burn all over the field. Your best bet is to bring pressure on Jamal defensively and take your shots down field on offense.

I know I listed several more strengths than weaknesses but hey, we're all in the playoffs for a reason, right?

mainejeff
November 29th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Sounds like the almost-Canadian team that will be in Boone Saturday may be unstoppable.

Wow.......NY, NJ, PA and MD are part of Canada now???

mainejeff
November 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM

Typical of Southern hypocrites..........

AppStsGr8
November 29th, 2011, 06:33 PM

MaineJeff, will you be coming to the game? As a 50+ Southerner, I have no idea what you're speaking of as "typical of Southern hypocrites". I'd like to introduce you to some of the finest folks in the south ... true Southerners ... true Mountaineers. We'll be polite and talk good football before and after the game. During the game ... it's war!

ASUMike has made some good observations about our team. Our O-line has been inconsistent this year. At home, they should be more settled in. If Jamal Jackson gets time and stays focused, he can really create some big plays. From what I've read of Maine's D, I'm a little concerned about our passing game's effectiveness. I'm glad Baker-Boney will be back for this game. That gives us a much better shot as establishing a running game.

Defensively, we should be fine. Our secondary can be awesome ... or not. I've seen great interceptions, and I've seen an opposing receivers burn us. When the D is amped up by the home crowd, they're really fun to watch as they were in the Georgia Southern win.

james_lawfirm
November 29th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Jeff:

It was not too long ago that anything north of the Mason/Dixon line might as well have been in Canada to folks in the South. Now, not so much. Just ignore the earlier Canadian comment.

I am sure that any Maine fans who come to the game will enjoy the App fans & our tailgating. I will practically guarantee that anyone who shows up Friday afternoon in Maine gear will be treated graciously.

Safe travels.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 06:40 PM

I fail to see any type of slight given.
If you are so sensitive about being so close to Canada, then would think you have some sort of problem with Canada.
If so, that is up to you to reconcile. Take it you just WANT something to ***** about Jeff.

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 29th, 2011, 06:51 PM

Wow, don't quite know what brought that on, I agree with the other Maine posters that App. State fans have been absolutely great to discuss the game with. The Canadian reference really won't bother any Mainah's. My son and I have actually joked about the reference to us Maine fans wearing our colors Friday nite in Boone. He thought we would be given a hard time but I guess I'm gonna beleive that the Thompson is the exception and that we will be treated fine.
Caught the news tonite and Maine will be flying out 6:30 Friday morning. Still no more info on the walking wounded. MJ, did you hear Jack got voted coach of the year by New England sports writers for FCS? Who would have thunk it. 3 players on the first team, McMillian, Hanley(OL), and I'm not sure if Coston was the third.

AppStsGr8
November 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Wow, don't quite know what brought that on, I agree with the other Maine posters that App. State fans have been absolutely great to discuss the game with. The Canadian reference really won't bother any Mainah's. My son and I have actually joked about the reference to us Maine fans wearing our colors Friday nite in Boone. He thought we would be given a hard time but I guess I'm gonna beleive that the Thompson is the exception and that we will be treated fine.
Caught the news tonite and Maine will be flying out 6:30 Friday morning. Still no more info on the walking wounded. MJ, did you hear Jack got voted coach of the year by New England sports writers for FCS? Who would have thunk it. 3 players on the first team, McMillian, Hanley(OL), and I'm not sure if Coston was the third.

Definitely wear your colors, please. It really does help to know which folks need a special welcome to our tiny town. Any idea how many Maine fans are making the trek?

Congrats to your coach as well.

mainejeff
November 29th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I fail to see any type of slight given.
If you are so sensitive about being so close to Canada, then would think you have some sort of problem with Canada.
If so, that is up to you to reconcile. Take it you just WANT something to ***** about Jeff.

And I take it that you just wanted to be an a-hole.xthumbsupx

xcoffeex

mainejeff
November 29th, 2011, 07:11 PM
MJ, did you hear Jack got voted coach of the year by New England sports writers for FCS? Who would have thunk it.

Yes.......and I got raked over the coals for posting it here in this forum.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 07:13 PM
If you are that touchy feely just hope you don't wear a skirt MaineJeff. Believe me, if I wanted to be an a-hole, all I would have to do is emulate you.

james_lawfirm
November 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM
The Canadian reference really won't bother any Mainah's. My son and I have actually joked about the reference to us Maine fans wearing our colors Friday nite in Boone. He thought we would be given a hard time but I guess I'm gonna beleive that the Thompson is the exception and that we will be treated fine.

Absolutely, wear your colors the entire time you're here. It's hard for many App fans (or for that matter folks in this part of the country) to understand that football is not the main sporting event everywhere. Here in Boone though, it is a big deal. I would imagine that at least one local fan may try to buy you all a beer Friday night. And, I am sure you will be welcome at almost any tailgate. I'll be in the Duncan lot, space #19, if you can find it. We respect other teams fans & are usually gracious hosts. There are a few exceptions. Like any large group, there can be some bad apples. And, there are some teams with fans who invite altercations. Fact is, if one goes looking for a fight, they'll probably find one. There are some teams with whom App has had a long history, sometimes with less than stellar moments. But, App & Maine have only one game between them. I was there, back in 2002. Looking forward to Saturday's game. Is it kickoff time yet?

james_lawfirm
November 29th, 2011, 07:23 PM
If you are that touchy feely just hope you don't wear a skirt MaineJeff. Believe me, if I wanted to be an a-hole, all I would have to do is emulate you.

What in heck is your problem?

UMaineD
November 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM

Thom I will refresh your memory as to what you said to us Maine fans this came out of the blue when no one said anything negative about App state fan quite the contrary. This was a pleasant board and welcoming App fans until you made the above remarks.

Now lets get back to football and most importantly the tailgating :-)

boonegoon
November 29th, 2011, 07:33 PM

If you highlight the light blue in your colors you will mistaken for Watauga high school boosters, the local high school. You'll be just fine! Safe travels and I wish was there to root against you.

Apphole
November 29th, 2011, 07:37 PM

I like it. We need to start hating these guys.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2011, 07:38 PM

And what is your problem. I sure as heck am not going to kiss their rear ends to get them to come drink with me. If they want to fain hurt feeliings and try to feel offended at nothing I could care less about hearing about their feelings.

asujch
November 29th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I think it comes down to how Jackson performs in the first couple of drives, if he can stay composed and make good decisions, then everything will fall into place and ASU will be on to the third round. We've seen what can happen if he does not get in a rhythm during the first quarter (I was ready to smash the TV after that 1st quarter at Elon). I'm also looking for our run offense to step up and get it done. We need to utilize our "Darren Sproles" in Miller this week. I've been dissapointed by the lack of touches that he gets. He is explosive out of the backfield when we line up in spread flex and our new pistol formations. I'd also like to see some screens to him also.

Bearwitness
November 29th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Why? Are you going to be on the field playing the game? I'll leave the trash talking to the players and enjoy the game as a fan. After it's over we'll see if it's worthy of being a called a rivalry.

mainejeff
November 30th, 2011, 12:27 AM

Big man!

xrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx

A-hole..........

xcoffeex

mainejeff
November 30th, 2011, 12:29 AM

Some of us already hate you, so the feeling has been mutual.

LCA131
November 30th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Well I will pass on the smack talk, at least over the Internet for several reasons, the least of which it is so hard to get a feel for what are sometimes just poor jokes that fall flat and other times for redneck ignorance. It would appear that both have shown up here. (What does "fain" even mean? I think the only time I have ever seen the word is in the relating of the Prodigal Son in some Bible translations, but I digress..:)) BACK to good feelings...To the Maine folks, I urge you to stop by some of the tailgates that have been listed and chat some folks up...Would love to meet some of what appears to be a bunch of classy fans. To the App guys, don't kiss anyones rear end to get them to drink with you...Both parties will be better off..Stay Classy.xthumbsupx
I look forward to Saturday...early weather forecasts look like a 'Chamber of Commerce' day and hopefully a close, competitive game...Cheers!!

asumike83
November 30th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I can't believe the game is still three days away, the last week and a half has absolutely crawled by. Maine worries me but I like our chances at home, ASU has played with a lot more confidence in Boone all season. App has as much speed as any team at this level, the key will be whether our offensive line can allow time for Jamal to get the ball to our athletes in space. If we can do that and take away the deep ball defensively, we should get out of this one with a W. Those are a lot of "ifs" though, should be interesting.

HenZoneNation
November 30th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Maine was a game I was quite certain we would win and I was very, very WRONG. They are just a real gritty team that never gives up and doesn't panic. I think that will work well in their favor. I remember last year's playoff game between Nova and Appy and seeing how rattled DeAndre Presley looked when things weren't going his way. I think that Appy squad, though maybe not as talented as Nova, was certainly not well represented by that score. It will be interesting to see how Jamal Jackson handles the pressure that comes with FCS playoffs. Can he gain early confidence or will the Maine pass rush fluster him. We had a good OL (not great like many of us thought) this year but Maine still got three sacks, pressured our QB, and in the process got four INT's. Given, the Appy QB is much better than our own, his play will be a huge factor in this game.
It's tough having an early round homegame because of the size of the crowd isn't as big as it normally is during the regular season or when teams get deep into the playoffs. That helps Maine some as well. Mr. Quick though will probably be what saves both Jackson and Appy.

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Easy.... the hospitality goes quick when you throw that out.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I remember last year's playoff game between Nova and Appy and seeing how rattled DeAndre Presley looked when things weren't going his way.

Uhm. We got whooped by Nova. No doubt. But, it wasn't because of DeAndre getting rattled (maybe you are confusing it with the Georgia Southern game?). It was because of Sczcur and our offensive line getting manhandled and not being able to open up holes for our running backs.

DeAndre Presley 31/56 361 yards

Your comparison between Nova and this Maine game does work.. our offensive line is still not very good and will probably have trouble opening up holes again. But, QB play was not the reason we were eliminated last year.

asumike83
November 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Just an FYI, this game will be available for purchase on ESPN GamePlan if you cannot make the trip and do no have ESPN3:
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205340171

App90
November 30th, 2011, 11:07 AM
The OC, Kevin Bourgoin, calls the plays from above the field rather than the sidelines and they are relayed to Smith with hand signals.xthumbsupx

Wow what a wonderful idea, they actually have a coach who calls the offensive plays....xthumbsupxxdeadhorsex

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM

Why?

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I could care less about hearing about their feelings.

I don't care about hearing their feelings either. Do you have anger management issues that affect your spelling often?

Apphole
November 30th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Why?

These sort of feelings have a correlation to game day decibels

Vilsack
November 30th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Why?

It gives you focus... makes you stronger.

Of course, how that helps fans is beyond me. Makes you cheer louder?

mainejeff
November 30th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Easy.... the hospitality goes quick when you throw that out.

Think I care?......I'm not going to the game.

Now if this were McNeese on the other hand.......TRUE Southern hospitality!!!

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Your school is Maine and you live in San Diego, that really makes you an expert on Southern Hospitality.

Apphole
November 30th, 2011, 01:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5RA6Gy03Zg

mainejeff
November 30th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Your school is Maine and you live in San Diego, that really makes you an expert on Southern Hospitality.

Lived in Tennesse for a year...........visited McNeese for a playoff game. I think that I have some idea of how Northerners are treated down there.

By the way........for those of you that think Maine is the frozen tundra, I give you today's weather map:

http://bdnpull.bangorpublishing.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/391795_10100151433782281_15781_43013934_1975691048 _n.jpg

Read it and weep!............LOL.

AppAlum2003
November 30th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Lived in Tennesse for a year...........visited McNeese for a playoff game. I think that I have some idea of how Northerners are treated down there.

By the way........for those of you that think Maine is the frozen tundra, I give you today's weather map:

http://bdnpull.bangorpublishing.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/391795_10100151433782281_15781_43013934_1975691048 _n.jpg

Awesome, I'm sure all 800 people that live there will love it.

TheEagleWay
November 30th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Read this list and you weep.

Team and Titles
Georgia Southern
Youngstown State
Appalachian State
Eastern Kentucky
Marshall^
Montana
Boise State^
Delaware
Eastern Washington
Florida A&M
Furman
Idaho State
James Madison
Northeast Louisiana^
Massachusetts†
Montana State
Richmond
Southern Illinois
Villanova
Western Kentucky^

Nope, not able to find Maine here.

Apphole
November 30th, 2011, 01:43 PM

Team and Titles
Georgia Southern
Youngstown State
Appalachian State
Eastern Kentucky
Marshall^
Montana
Boise State^
Delaware
Eastern Washington
Florida A&M
Furman
Idaho State
James Madison
Northeast Louisiana^
Massachusetts†
Montana State
Richmond
Southern Illinois
Villanova
Western Kentucky^

Get ready to put a ^ next to our name

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Just read the breakdown of the game by CAAZone, just terrible.

Confusing GA State for Georgia Southern is idiotic, Calling 2 of our LBs DLinemen is even more idiotic, and calling our DB a LB, while listing his INT total at 5 is 3x idiotic.

How about a proof read? Was the two week window not enough? And the CAA is not universally recognized as the toughest league, not this year anyways.

mainejeff
November 30th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Awesome, I'm sure all 800 people that live there will love it.

1.2 million.........and most of them have teeth!

mainejeff
November 30th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Team and Titles
Georgia Southern
Youngstown State
Appalachian State
Eastern Kentucky
Marshall^
Montana
Boise State^
Delaware
Eastern Washington
Florida A&M
Furman
Idaho State
James Madison
Northeast Louisiana^
Massachusetts†
Montana State
Richmond
Southern Illinois
Villanova
Western Kentucky^

You got me there!........I'm SURE that chart will affect the outcome of the game on Saturday!!!

mainejeff
November 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Just read the breakdown of the game by CAAZone, just terrible.

Confusing GA State for Georgia Southern is idiotic, Calling 2 of our LBs DLinemen is even more idiotic, and calling our DB a LB, while listing his INT total at 5 is 3x idiotic.

How about a proof read? Was the two week window not enough? And the CAA is not universally recognized as the toughest league, not this year anyways.

Wrong thread.......this is Maine/ASU.......not ODU/Georgia State.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Wrong thread.......this is Maine/ASU.......not ODU/Georgia State.

CaaZone has an App/Maine article/breakdown or something. I read the GSU/ODU thing too. I got to the App one off the CAAZone home page.

PS Its Georgia Southern/ODU. You may want to make a note considering there is a chance it may be your next trip. Id hate for you to end up in Atlanta if you dont have to, I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

mainejeff
November 30th, 2011, 02:47 PM
CaaZone has an App/Maine article/breakdown or something. I read the GSU/ODU thing too. I got to the App one off the CAAZone home page.

PS Its Georgia Southern/ODU. You may want to make a note considering there is a chance it may be your next trip. Id hate for you to end up in Atlanta if you dont have to, I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

I can't play the bad guy anymore........I'm just messin' with ya. ;)

Good luck to all the playoff teams this weekend.........hope y'all have fun at the games.........there ain't nothin' like FCS playoff football! :)

AppStsGr8
November 30th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Maine was a game I was quite certain we would win and I was very, very WRONG. They are just a real gritty team that never gives up and doesn't panic. I think that will work well in their favor. I remember last year's playoff game between Nova and Appy and seeing how rattled DeAndre Presley looked when things weren't going his way. I think that Appy squad, though maybe not as talented as Nova, was certainly not well represented by that score. It will be interesting to see how Jamal Jackson handles the pressure that comes with FCS playoffs. Can he gain early confidence or will the Maine pass rush fluster him. We had a good OL (not great like many of us thought) this year but Maine still got three sacks, pressured our QB, and in the process got four INT's. Given, the Appy QB is much better than our own, his play will be a huge factor in this game.
It's tough having an early round homegame because of the size of the crowd isn't as big as it normally is during the regular season or when teams get deep into the playoffs. That helps Maine some as well. Mr. Quick though will probably be what saves both Jackson and Appy.

Thanks for the insight about Maine. If the best of both teams show up, this should be a good game. I'd be willing to bet our O-line has had some extra practice in these past two weeks. Jamal, when focused, is a great QB. His height is a definite advantage that DeAndre does not have. I'm glad this one is in Boone and that the weather promises to be as mild as December gets in the NC mountains.

GlassOnion
November 30th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I can't play the bad guy anymore........I'm just messin' with ya. ;)

Good luck to all the playoff teams this weekend.........hope y'all have fun at the games.........there ain't nothin' like FCS playoff football! :)

Safe trip to all your guys, I saw the team was leaving for Boone Friday morning. I guess thats about a 2 hr flight, then 2 hrs up the mountain. Walkthrough at midafternoon. Cant wait to see some Bears up here, I havent been able to get anything done the past two weeks!

Bearwitness
November 30th, 2011, 03:04 PM
WR Mo McDonald of Maine tweeted a couple of hours ago "No surgery!!!!!!", then tweeted to injured LB Shaun Bodtmann, "you and me both!" Good news for both of them, but it doesn't seem to sound too promising for Saturday.

asumike83
November 30th, 2011, 03:06 PM
WR Mo McDonald of Maine tweeted a couple of hours ago "No surgery!!!!!!", then tweeted to injured LB Shaun Bodtmann, "you and me both!" Good news for both of them, but it doesn't seem to sound too promising for Saturday.

I was actually just going to ask about his status. I checked the official Maine site and didn't see an injury report anywhere. Hopefully he can go but that does not sound optimistic.

SpeedkingATL
November 30th, 2011, 03:42 PM

Go easy on Atlanta, there are a lot of us misplaced App grads living in this fine city. We can't help it if a few GaSt fans give it a black eye.

Vilsack
November 30th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I was actually just going to ask about his status. I checked the official Maine site and didn't see an injury report anywhere. Hopefully he can go but that does not sound optimistic.

There's your first mistake. Our athletic department staff is overworked and the management of the website is outsourced. You shouldn't count on the info there being up to date...certainly not something like an injury report. It's a major achievement if the rosters get updated every year and the names are spelled right.

mainejeff
November 30th, 2011, 04:28 PM
There's your first mistake. Our athletic department staff is overworked and the management of the website is outsourced. You shouldn't count on the info there being up to date...certainly not something like an injury report. It's a major achievement if the rosters get updated every year and the names are spelled right.

Ain't that the truth! :(

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 30th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Wow, 63F in Bangor and the country's highest high, normal high 43 and low 23. Sounds like we will be getting back to that but at least the 10" of snow is gonexnodx

Like what what I am hearing about injuried players, P. Brown(RB) is good to go as well as Achey(LB) and some others. Can't wait, staying at the Hampton Inn, guess it is close to campus. What do you guys recommend for good eats and good brews on Friday nite???

What is forecast for Saturday?

asujch
November 30th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Wow, 63F in Bangor and the country's highest high, normal high 43 and low 23. Sounds like we will be getting back to that but at least the 10" of snow is gone!!!!

Like what what I am hearing about injuried players, P. Brown(RB) is good to go as well as Achey(LB) and some others. Can't wait, staying at the Hampton Inn, guess it is close to campus. What do you guys recommend for good eats and good brews on Friday nite???

Cafe Portifino on rivers street, excellent food and a pretty good selection of beers too. It can get somewhat crowded after gameday, but then again everywhere is crowded after the game.

AppStsGr8
November 30th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Wow, 63F in Bangor and the country's highest high, normal high 43 and low 23. Sounds like we will be getting back to that but at least the 10" of snow is gonexnodx

Weather for Saturday is looking great. High in the upper 40's, no rain - pretty mild for Boone in December. It does get a little chill-ish when the sun drops below the mountains, so don't let the midday temps fool you.

The Hampton Inn is very convenient to campus. I recommend Char on Howard St and Crave on Boone Heights Dr for good restaurants. Char has a little bit of everything. Crave is a tapas place with some very nice dishes. Both are easy to get to from the Hampton Inn.

Travel safely. Do stop by #76 in the Stadium lot and say hello Saturday.

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Try Makotos Japanese Steakhouse after the game. Friday night, I'd suggest Casa Rustica, which I think is right across the highway from the Hampton Inn on 105 (I think).

As for the weather, I heard high of 51 & low of 38 on Sat. w/ sunny skies. Near perfect football weather. However, note that Boone weather can change quickly, so layer up. But, try booneweather.com for the most accurate report closer to Sat.

owascoag
November 30th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Come on, that has to be Fotoshopped! Portland, ME the nation's hotspot?

Vilsack
November 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Come on, that has to be Fotoshopped! Portland, ME the nation's hotspot?

Actually, that's Bangor. And yes, it was the highest temperature recorded in the lower 48 this morning.

appsfan
November 30th, 2011, 10:27 PM

Other places I like in Boone are Pepper's and Red Onion... the other suggestions are good too.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 1st, 2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks for all the help on where to go in Boone, really looking forward to this trip, sounds like great people who appreciate their football and love having a great time. You'll find Mainiacs are a different than a brand than other New Englanders but certainly enjoy having fun.
We won't be in a Boone for a long time but will be their for a good time!!!
Will make a point to visit tailgating sections. Look for an older tipsy guy with a 6'5" bodyguard(LOL)

Apphole
December 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
Black Cat is the best restaurant in town. You must going you like spicy food.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2011, 07:40 AM
Appy State: 38-20

asumike83
December 1st, 2011, 08:14 AM
Black Cat is the best restaurant in town. You must going you like spicy food.

Oh man, their philly cheese steak burrito is delicious! Although, I almost never leave Boone without getting a cheese steak from Cafe Portofino. Come to think of it, I just like cheese steaks.

Portofino, Black Cat, Mellow Mushroom, you really can't go wrong with any of those spots. I'd recommend a burger from Boone Drug on King St. if you just want to grab a quick bite. It's an old-fashioned soda shop with excellent burgers. Mountain House, Melanie's and Boone Bagel are always a good bet for breakfast too!

Ray has given Saturday a 3 golf ball rating, sounds like it will be great football weather!
http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

Saturday
http://184.106.45.76/images/forecast_icons/01Dry_01Clear.png
Hi: 52 Lo: 31
http://184.106.45.76/images/golfball.gifhttp://184.106.45.76/images/golfball.gifhttp://184.106.45.76/images/golfball.gif
Bright sunshine; Nice for early December; SE wind 5-10 mph, breezy at higher elev's at night

I am hoping to get up there early enough to get in some good tailgating, see y'all on the mountain!

Mountaineer#96
December 1st, 2011, 08:51 AM
Mainers, if you are heading to the game......don't miss my tailgate in the Greenwood lot.

You can't miss it, just walk all the way to the back and look for four Jack Daniels / ASU flags on an old RV. (just rented it) We will be drinking from sun down Friday until complete. The distillery here has given us the Tenn Whiskey package which includes some pre barrell (white lightning) come on by for a swig, it might keep you warm until half!
Pics to follow on the RV, 1973 Winnebago

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 1st, 2011, 09:00 AM
Oh man, their philly cheese steak burrito is delicious! Although, I almost never leave Boone without getting a cheese steak from Cafe Portofino. Come to think of it, I just like cheese steaks.

Portofino, Black Cat, Mellow Mushroom, you really can't go wrong with any of those spots. I'd recommend a burger from Boone Drug on King St. if you just want to grab a quick bite. It's an old-fashioned soda shop with excellent burgers. Mountain House, Melanie's and Boone Bagel are always a good bet for breakfast too!

Ray has given Saturday a 3 golf ball rating, sounds like it will be great football weather!
http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

Saturday
http://184.106.45.76/images/forecast_icons/01Dry_01Clear.png
Hi: 52 Lo: 31
http://184.106.45.76/images/golfball.gifhttp://184.106.45.76/images/golfball.gifhttp://184.106.45.76/images/golfball.gif
Bright sunshine; Nice for early December; SE wind 5-10 mph, breezy at higher elev's at night

I am hoping to get up there early enough to get in some good tailgating, see y'all on the mountain!

Oh man, 52F and sunny how does it get any better!!! In Maine in December that's a 4 lobstah day easily!!!
Between the weather and the cheese steak's I am stokked!

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2011, 09:00 AM
And what is your problem. I sure as heck am not going to kiss their rear ends to get them to come drink with me. If they want to fain hurt feeliings and try to feel offended at nothing I could care less about hearing about their feelings.

Easy Thom...JLF is a great guy. He just wants ASU fans to be classy.

http://icydk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/anchorman.jpg

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2011, 09:03 AM

That's a shame. Tennessee is not Boone, NC (though close). I usually try to avoid making assumptions about things I have not experienced.

Also, I'm sad you won't be making the game. I'd love to meet you, and I'm sure the feeling is mutual. xlolx

ThompsonThe
December 1st, 2011, 10:46 AM
Easy Thom...JLF is a great guy. He just wants ASU fans to be classy.

http://icydk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/anchorman.jpg

I am sure JLF and JFG coffee are fantastic. But you can be classy without taking all the crap they want to put out for no true reason.
Their arrogance doesn't seem quite as bad as the UMass fans were years ago, but do not care for the predisposed selfabsorbed idea of themselves by some posters. My cable installer is a UMaine grad, nice guy. Am sure that overall they are a great group of people. Have always had a lot of respect for Maine. They always seem to do a lot with less than their CAA brethren. Figured they did that by working harder. Have to admire that.

SoCon48
December 1st, 2011, 10:59 AM
Other places I like in Boone are Pepper's and Red Onion... the other suggestions are good too.

Peppers was founded by a former App student.

AppStsGr8
December 1st, 2011, 11:02 AM
Oh man, 52F and sunny how does it get any better!!! In Maine in December that's a 4 lobstah day easily!!!
Between the weather and the cheese steak's I am stokked!

The "and sunny" part is what differentiates us from the northeast. My husband grew up in Rochester, NY and recalls that his life was mostly grey - especially from October to May.

Boone should show folks this weekend why people love the NC mountains so much. Hopefully, your welcome on the football field will not be nearly as warm. :D

Just so folks know ... King Street (main street "downtown") will be closed from about 10:45 to noon for the Christmas parade. Get into town early and enjoy walking around.

biggie
December 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM
Also everyone remember the stands will be in the shad by halftime or so, so will cool down a little. Will be hot during tailgating probably due to the sun.

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
I am sure JLF and JFG coffee are fantastic. But you can be classy without taking all the crap they want to put out for no true reason.
Their arrogance doesn't seem quite as bad as the UMass fans were years ago, but do not care for the predisposed selfabsorbed idea of themselves by some posters. My cable installer is a UMaine grad, nice guy. Am sure that overall they are a great group of people. Have always had a lot of respect for Maine. They always seem to do a lot with less than their CAA brethren. Figured they did that by working harder. Have to admire that.

Keep in mind that JLF is an App fan, and a quality one.

As to MaineJeff...you can say whatever you want to about him, he has made his bed.

mainejeff
December 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Keep in mind that JLF is an App fan, and a quality one.

As to MaineJeff...you can say whatever you want to about him, he has made his bed.

Whad i do...... Whad i do??? xconfusedxxsmiley_wixxlolx

xcoffeex

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2011, 12:27 PM
Whad i do...... Whad i do??? xconfusedxxsmiley_wixxlolx

xcoffeex

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID!

Every now and then I make a funny. xlolx

EllaGrassoBlvd
December 2nd, 2011, 12:28 AM
Mainers, if you are heading to the game......don't miss my tailgate in the Greenwood lot.

You can't miss it, just walk all the way to the back and look for four Jack Daniels / ASU flags on an old RV. (just rented it) We will be drinking from sun down Friday until complete. The distillery here has given us the Tenn Whiskey package which includes some pre barrell (white lightning) come on by for a swig, it might keep you warm until half!
Pics to follow on the RV, 1973 Winnebago

How does that work? They allow you to park in the lot overnight?

What are the rules on bringing alcohol into the tailgate area if you don't have a lot spot? Is it even possible to do? I understand you need to have a paid permit to drive into the tailgate area but can an outsider (of age of course) walk in with a cooler?

Anything else I should I know?

Looking forward to Friday night and Saturday

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2011, 05:33 AM

What are the rules on bringing alcohol into the tailgate area if you don't have a lot spot? Is it even possible to do? I understand you need to have a paid permit to drive into the tailgate area but can an outsider (of age of course) walk in with a cooler?

Well, I guess you could walk around carrying a cooler. I don't think there's any rules against it. But, you cannot carry the cooler into the stadium.

The authorities allow drinking near the tailgates. But, the constables positively do not like someone walking around on streets or sidewalks with an "open container". Just put it in a cup or glass.

If someone parks overnight in a lot, they could be subject to being towed, unless they had permission. I would assume the RV owners had already obtained permission. Anyway, I hope this is helpful. Is it kickoff time yet?

AppStsGr8
December 2nd, 2011, 07:01 AM

Here you go ... first is parking map, second is tailgate rules.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&SPSID=104441&SPID=12805&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204982664

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204985245#Tailgate

What are the rules regarding alcohol consumption at tailgates?
Rules for the consumption of alcoholic beverages in parking lots designated for such activity are consistent with North Carolina State law. Malt beverages and unfortified wine may be consumed in these locations by those fans of legal drinking age.

Those that choose to consume alcohol must be able to present a valid driver's license or photo ID to reflect their age upon request. Spirituous liquor, kegs, common containers, and glass containers are not permitted in any location. Consumption of alcoholic beverages in designated lots may begin no earlier than 3½ hours prior to kickoff.

To summarize in simple terms, if you follow the rules and consume alcohol responsibly, and in the proper areas, you will not have a problem. Some tailgates will have alcohol and some will choose not to participate in those activities. Acting maturely and responsibly will ensure all patrons are able to enjoy their gameday experience in the proper manner.

If you have your cooler with you, simply join a tailgate already in progress in one of the designated lots and you'll be fine.

There's no public RV parking at KBS. Some Yosef members have RV's and park them in their designated spots. Other schools we visited (Florida comes to mind) actually have RV lots designed for folks who are truly making a weekend of it.

Again, safe travels to all you Maine folks. See you at The Rock!

biggie
December 2nd, 2011, 09:04 AM
Kind of looking like we may be lucky to have 15k at the game, dissappointing given the weather.

Apphole
December 2nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
Kind of looking like we may be lucky to have 15k at the game, dissappointing given the weather.

What makes you say that? Students are in session and are getting in free. I expect close to 20k. It should be loud too considering it will only be die-hards and students (where 99% of the noise come from)

asumike83
December 2nd, 2011, 09:19 AM

Do you mean 15K paid (not including students) or total?

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
What makes you say that? Students are in session and are getting in free. I expect close to 20k. It should be loud too considering it will only be die-hards and students (where 99% of the noise come from)

Yep, I agree. 20k + noise is my guess.

Apphole
December 2nd, 2011, 09:34 AM
Yep, I agree. 20k + noise is my guess.

And the game is a 2pm rather than 12. Everything is falling into place for good attendance, at least by playoff standards. There's really no excuse to miss it.

biggie
December 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Currently about 7k reserved seats left for sale. Out of capacity of less than 22k. That includes students. We hopefully will have 9-10k students, but doesn't seem there will be more than 5-6k others in attendance. I had thought we would have sold out of reserved tickets for this game, but doesn't even look close to happening.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
Blast from the past!

Coulson: The Year of Living Dangerously (2002)

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/86-college-sports-journal/csj-classic-archives/124-csj-classic-the-year-of-living-dangerously

Coulson: Mountaineers Prepare to Face Maine (2002)

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/86-college-sports-journal/csj-classic-archives/125-csj-classic-mountaineers-prepare-to-face-maine-2002

Coulson: Maine's Big Plays Oust Appalachian State (2002)

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/86-college-sports-journal/csj-classic-archives/126-csj-classic-maines-big-plays-oust-appalachian-state-2002

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2011, 09:43 AM

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be attending. First home game missed in years. But, this is my last semester of grad school and I have a paper due Tuesday and a test on Wednesday. I won't be doing anything fun this weekend. xbawlingx

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
For those wanting to remember the last time Maine came to Boone, here are some interesting links for you from 2002:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/86-college-sports-journal/csj-classic-archives/126-csj-classic-maines-big-plays-oust-appalachian-state-2002

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/86-college-sports-journal/csj-classic-archives/125-csj-classic-mountaineers-prepare-to-face-maine-2002

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/86-college-sports-journal/csj-classic-archives/124-csj-classic-the-year-of-living-dangerously

Mikeyosef
December 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Well, I guess you could walk around carrying a cooler. I don't think there's any rules against it. But, you cannot carry the cooler into the stadium.

The authorities allow drinking near the tailgates. But, the constables positively do not like someone walking around on streets or sidewalks with an "open container". Just put it in a cup or glass.

If someone parks overnight in a lot, they could be subject to being towed, unless they had permission. I would assume the RV owners had already obtained permission. Anyway, I hope this is helpful. Is it kickoff time yet?

I didn't read all the other posts following this one so I apologize if I'm repeating something. In years past the police didn't seem to mind open containers outside the tailgate area but there is a new sheriff in town, err..police chief and he absolutely does not like alcohol. One police officer I spoke with says the chief calls alcohol the "Devil's Semen"....pretty gross huh. Anyway, I would recommend any open alcoholic beverage be managed with extreme discretion if you leave the tailgate area unless you want to see what the inside of a Boone jail cell looks like.

Otherwise have fun..to be stopped for drunk and disorderly you pretty much have to take a swing at someone like a cop or run across the football field during a break in the action which seems to be a growing trend in our area. (Running across the field...not taking swings at cops) Come on down and have a great time...I'm sure you will enjoy the atmosphere.xnodx

Mikeyosef
December 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
And the game is a 2pm rather than 12. Everything is falling into place for good attendance, at least by playoff standards. There's really no excuse to miss it.

No excuse but I still will not be surprised if we have less than 20K in attendance. It will be a loud crowd whatever the attendance...I can't wait.

asumike83
December 2nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
Currently about 7k reserved seats left for sale. Out of capacity of less than 22k. That includes students. We hopefully will have 9-10k students, but doesn't seem there will be more than 5-6k others in attendance. I had thought we would have sold out of reserved tickets for this game, but doesn't even look close to happening.

Hopefully there will be good walk-up sales on game day. I know I bought mine at the window for 'Nova last year because I knew it wouldn't be sold out and there was a pretty long line of folks doing the same. 20K is my optimistic guess but I'd be happy with 18K or so.

Do you work for the ticket office or have friends in there? I'm always curious about the status of ticket sales but can never seem to find it anywhere.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
I would be absolutely shocked if it's over 20k. Out of all the playoff games we've hosted in the past 6 years -- 14 or so -- only ONE of those (semifinal vs. Richmond in 2007) was over 20k.

Do you work for the ticket office or have friends in there? I'm always curious about the status of ticket sales but can never seem to find it anywhere.

You can go to the ticketing website and hover over sections to see how many are available in each section. Only three reserved sections are sold out-- 204, 111, 213. Huge amounts of tickets are available in every other section.

Based on history of postseason attendance... 13k would be about right. The free student tickets will help... so, the most optimistic I could go would be 15k.

HenZoneNation
December 2nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Is this game really not on TV? Is there a feed we can watch?

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
I would be absolutely shocked if it's over 20k. Out of all the playoff games we've hosted in the past 6 years -- 14 or so -- only ONE of those (semifinal vs. Richmond in 2007) was over 20k.

You can go to the ticketing website and hover over sections to see how many are available in each section. Only three reserved sections are sold out-- 204, 111, 213. Huge amounts of tickets are available in every other section.

Based on history of postseason attendance... 13k would be about right. The free student tickets will help... so, the most optimistic I could go would be 15k.

Don't mean to talk smack, but how can you guys regularly get 30k throughout the season, and then have that big of a drop-off? We tend to have the same issue, but we were damn close to a sell-out for our last playoff game...

Apphole
December 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
I didn't read all the other posts following this one so I apologize if I'm repeating something. In years past the police didn't seem to mind open containers outside the tailgate area but there is a new sheriff in town, err..police chief and he absolutely does not like alcohol. One police officer I spoke with says the chief calls alcohol the "Devil's Semen"....pretty gross huh. Anyway, I would recommend any open alcoholic beverage be managed with extreme discretion if you leave the tailgate area unless you want to see what the inside of a Boone jail cell looks like.

Otherwise have fun..to be stopped for drunk and disorderly you pretty much have to take a swing at someone like a cop or run across the football field during a break in the action which seems to be a growing trend in our area. (Running across the field...not taking swings at cops) Come on down and have a great time...I'm sure you will enjoy the atmosphere.xnodx

If you get caught carrying open beers across the street ect you won't get arrested. You will get a $50, non-criminal ticket. Just like a parking ticket. It happened to several of my friends as they crossed River Street in from of Raley this year.

biggie
December 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Hopefully there will be good walk-up sales on game day. I know I bought mine at the window for 'Nova last year because I knew it wouldn't be sold out and there was a pretty long line of folks doing the same. 20K is my optimistic guess but I'd be happy with 18K or so.

The online ticket sales, when you hover over each section it will show tickets available in each section, just the matter of adding them up.

asumike83
December 2nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Don't mean to talk smack, but how can you guys regularly get 30k throughout the season, and then have that big of a drop-off? We tend to have the same issue, but we were damn close to a sell-out for our last playoff game...

Wish I had a full explanation for you. All that I can think of is that UM has a ton of local support in Missoula, while most of our non-student crowd drives in from 2-3 hours away in Raleigh, Charlotte and Winston-Salem. Shorter notice in the holiday season tends to keep away entirely too many of the out of towners.

biggie
December 2nd, 2011, 11:10 AM
Is this game really not on TV? Is there a feed we can watch?
ESPN3.com, ESPN Gameplan PPV, or pay for GoASUTV online.

Cleets
NCAA Division I Football Championship presented by Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Gameplan - Maine vs. Appalachian State on ESPN3 5:00 pm right after the Montana game on the same channel

asumike83

The online ticket sales, when you hover over each section it will show tickets available in each section, just the matter of adding them up.

Thank you gentlemen, reps to each of you!

biggie
December 2nd, 2011, 11:12 AM
Wish I had a full explanation for you. All that I can think of is that UM has a ton of local support in Missoula, while most of our non-student crowd drives in from 2-3 hours away in Raleigh, Charlotte and Winston-Salem. Shorter notice in the holiday season tends to keep away entirely too many of the out of towners.
It really is a mistery. Even bigger question is how can we get over 20k for that Friday night Playoff game yet can't get 15k for Saturday. Probably have around 8k season ticket holders and probably not half of them make it to playoff games.

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM

Yeah, I think a lot of ours has to do with people who travel several hours for each regular season game, then decide they just don't have the time or money for (potentially) three more trips. I'm hoping the fact that we didn't have any extra games last year will give us a boost, but we shall see.