PDA

View Full Version : Maine @ ASU

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Mikeyosef
December 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM
Frankly, I can't explain the low attendance this year seeing as it is not Thanksgiving weekend and exams haven't started yet. All I can say is the season ticket holders I normally tailgate with and others I know, not attending seem to have pretty good reasons for not being able to make it. The truth is, my wife and one of my daughters who normally travel with me to games will not be attending either due to commitments they made months ago. It's really disappointing to me and I'm sure to other die hard App Fans as well but it is what it is. I think if things miraculously go our way and GS looses and we hold up our end to get another home game the crowd might be somewhat better. If we were hosting GS in that game I know it would be better!

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
When I first read your post, I thought I saw: "If you get caught carrying open beArs across the street ect you won't get arrested."

The appropriate response, of course, is: "but you might get tackled."

Carry on.

Apphole
December 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
When I first read your post, I thought I saw: "If you get caught carrying open beArs across the street ect you won't get arrested."

The appropriate response, of course, is: "but you might get tackled."

Carry on.

There will be a can. A can of whoop ***, opened on the BeArs! Hey-oh!!

AppStsGr8
December 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Frankly, I can't explain the low attendance this year seeing as it is not Thanksgiving weekend and exams haven't started yet. All I can say is the season ticket holders I normally tailgate with and others I know, not attending seem to have pretty good reasons for not being able to make it. The truth is, my wife and one of my daughters who normally travel with me to games will not be attending either due to commitments they made months ago.

There are several folks who usually sit with us who can't make the game for various reasons - all of them good, all of them planned far in advance. I know several kids who have dance recitals or chorus concerts or such - always happens around Christmas. Of course, the parents will (and should) be there to support their children rather than being in Boone. It's just the way things are. Personally, my children are grown and I have no life outside of work, football, and church, so I'll be there like always. Is it Saturday yet?

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
I think a lot of the wives and kids that come to regular season games don't make it to the playoff games. I go with three couples and our four kids, only the three guys are going this weekend. Christmas season is tough.

I'd set the line at 17K and take the under for attendance this weekend.

proasu89
December 2nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
I think a lot of the wives and kids that come to regular season games don't make it to the playoff games. I go with three couples and our four kids, only the three guys are going this weekend. Christmas season is tough.

I'd set the line at 17K and take the under for attendance this weekend.

I would be very happy with 17k and props to the 111 for being sold out!

Travelinneer
December 2nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
I'm going to be there, wife can't make it - so I'm bringing a First Timer. He's quite excited, as he has heard quite a bit about our Mountaineers and the tailgaters. With him being new to the area, thought it would be a great way to introduce him to Boone. Looks as if the weather is going to be wonderful..............

Revenge is sweet......

theasushow
December 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Playoff attendance takes a dip country-wide, not just in Boone. It is just magnified so much in Boone because of the great home attendance during the regular season. We get disappointed in 15-20k, but I'm pretty sure that 90% of fcs nation would take that attendance for a REGULAR season game. It's all relative(a playoffs team that averages 10k in the regular season would probably bring in around 6k for a playoff game). Furthermore, the regular season schedule is posted months and months in advance, its much easier to arrange travel plans, accomodations, and make sure there are no scheduling conflicts with other things (vacations, concerts, etc.) when given that much notice. That coupled with the already busy holiday season equates to low attendance...country wide.

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Don't mean to talk smack, but how can you guys regularly get 30k throughout the season, and then have that big of a drop-off? We tend to have the same issue, but we were damn close to a sell-out for our last playoff game...

There's a lot of theories, but no way to pick just one. The list, not inclusive, is:

People don't care as much about the playoffs.
Time of year (holidays) getting in the way.
Lack of time to plan for a trip.
People make plans well in advance.
People budget for 6 home games, but don't do so for extra games that aren't guaranteed.

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons--like the reason I won't be there...grad school finals. I live, work, and go to grad school 2 hours away. It's a whole day commitment to head up the mountain. As much as I want to do it, I just can't this weekend. But, I will have the game on. Luckily, this is it for me...I graduate this month. Next season, it's on!

appstate38
December 2nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Well Me and mine will be in attendance tomorrow. Haven't seen a home game since last season against W. Illinois. Looking forward to seeing "The Rock" again. Son playing HS ball and coaching makes it hard getting up on Sat. after a Friday night road trip.

asknoquarter21
December 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
I have a baby shower that I must attend tomorrow or I would be in Boone. Something about people buying you gifts for your first child that you need to be present for. Likely for me, I don't live in Montana and will be able to watch the game via ESPN 3.

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 2nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Wow, Wow. Your school is beautiful, not to mention Kid Brewer Stadium. Seems like almost every Building is new. Great flight and the ride on 321 thru the Appalachians was amazing. Having a degree in Geology and hiking when my knees permit, I could really enjoy this area. Then after checking into the Hampton we found you guys put a package store across the street, now that's what I call Southern Hospitality. Checked out some of the parking spots in the Stadium lot, hoping to run into some of you guys.

Guess the only question we have is this- Is there some place closer to park than walking the 1.5 miles from the Hampton. Realize w/ the X-Mas parade it is gonna be a quagmire. In fact that might be my only negative, Boone is busy to say the least. Not used to this traffic but certainly understand why some many are here. Can't believe many other FCS schools have a FBS feel like you guys do. I'm tipping some Yuenglingbeer the and contemplating Fat City as the Beer guru recommended it since it comes in cans. Would consider other local Brews as well?

Can't wait for tomorrow- GO BLUE!!!

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
Wow, Wow. Your school is beautiful, not to mention Kid Brewer Stadium. Seems like almost every Building is new. Great flight and the ride on 321 thru the Appalachians was amazing. Having a degree in Geology and hiking when my knees permit, I could really enjoy this area. Then after checking into the Hampton we found you guys put a package store across the street, now that's what I call Southern Hospitality. Checked out some of the parking spots in the Stadium lot, hoping to run into some of you guys.

Guess the only question we have is this- Is there some place closer to park than walking the 1.5 miles from the Hampton. Realize w/ the X-Mas parade it is gonna be a quagmire. In fact that might be my only negative, Boone is busy to say the least. Not used to this traffic but certainly understand why some many are here. Can't believe many other FCS schools have a FBS feel like you guys do. I'm tipping some Yuenglingbeer the and contemplating Fat City as the Beer guru recommended it since it comes in cans. Would consider other local Brews as well?

A-HEM! xrotatehx

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2011, 04:15 PM

OK, parking is always a hassle in Boone. Just the way it is. I suggest leaving your car at the hotel & riding the AppalCart to campus. It's free. Ask at the front desk & they'll tell you where to wait for it. I think it runs every 20 minutes or so. There are a number of different routes, but they all go to campus. Just get off somewhere on campus & walk towards the stadium. You should be able to do the same thing after the game.

ENJOY!

mainejeff
December 2nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
A-HEM! xrotatehx

The list is short.......Montana, App State.......JMU and ODU will join you guys.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Coulson's preview:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/129-fcs-preview-maine-appalachian-state-rekindle-playoff-rivalry

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
The list is short.......Montana, App State.......JMU and ODU will join you guys.

I agree, assuming they don't go FBS in the near future.

asumike83
December 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM

That is awesome, glad to hear that y'all are enjoying the High Country! Parking is a pain and it always is, so I'd suggest the AppalCart. I believe there is a stop right by the Hampton Inn on Faculty St. which will take you into town by the stadium. From there, you guys can just walk in and tailgate. The front desk should be able to get you a schedule for the AppalCart that will help you out.

Also, King St. is not shutting down until 10:45AM tomorrow so if you plan to do any walking around, you could always get there early and park downtown. You'd still have a walk to the stadium but not nearly as far as your hotel.

I just found out we landed a spot in the Stadium lot as well, so I will be up there visiting the tailgates as much as possible. I will post my spot number tomorrow when I see the pass. Good luck, maybe we will cross paths in the lot tomorrow!

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 2nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
A-HEM! xrotatehx

Knew that might get reaction from some other schools, shall I rephrase that and say App state has to be in the top 5xrotatehx
Griz does your school look brand new like App. State???

Done, will take the Party bus to Tailgating section. You guys are treating us awful well, hope you feel the same after the game(LOL)

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
That is awesome, glad to hear that y'all are enjoying the High Country! Parking is a pain and it always is, so I'd suggest the AppalCart. I believe there is a stop right by the Hampton Inn on Faculty St. which will take you into town by the stadium. From there, you guys can just walk in and tailgate. The front desk should be able to get you a schedule for the AppalCart that will help you out.

Also, King St. is not shutting down until 10:45AM tomorrow so if you plan to do any walking around, you could always get there early and park downtown. You'd still have a walk to the stadium but not nearly as far as your hotel.

I just found out we landed a spot in the Stadium lot as well, so I will be up there visiting the tailgates as much as possible. I will post my spot number tomorrow when I see the pass. Good luck, maybe we will cross paths in the lot tomorrow!

I am glad we agree.

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Knew that might get reaction from some other schools, shall I rephrase that and say App state has to be in the top 5xrotatehx
Griz does your school look brand new like App. State???)

Thanks for the compliments. We're fond of our campus. I went to Wa-Griz Stadium in 2009 & visited their fine campus. U of Montana compares well to ASU.

asumike83
December 2nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
I am glad we agree.

Indeed. Great minds think alike!

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2011, 05:38 PM
Guess the only question we have is this- Is there some place closer to park than walking the 1.5 miles from the Hampton. Realize w/ the X-Mas parade it is gonna be a quagmire.

Here is where I would park if I were you. There is free parking at the Watauga Health Department and a shuttle to the game. Depending on when you are wanting to get there may be a challenge since King Street will be closed because of the parade and that area will be a nightmare and should be avoided (unless on foot!) tomorrow.

There is a backway on Poplar Grove Road that you can take from the Hampton Inn to that parking lot. Here are directions:
http://maps.google.com/maps?gcx=c&q=boone+mall+appalcart&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl&authuser=0

That should help you miss traffic both before and after the game.

Edit: just saw the other post mentioning an Appal Cart stop at the Hampton Inn. I didn't know about that -- but, that would definitely be your best bet. So, use the above as a backup, I guess!

Would consider other local Brews as well?

North Carolina has some great breweries. Highland or Foothills are a couple of my favorites. Peabody's by your hotel has a great selection and those guys will help you find some local beers.

TheWeasel1995
December 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
For great beer and wine in Boone, check out Bulldog Beer and Wine on King Street. They've got one of the best beer (and wine) selections around they've got great customer service!

asumike83
December 2nd, 2011, 06:14 PM
I second that Peabody's notion! You could almost literally throw a rock there from the Hampton Inn. They have a great selection and a helpful staff that will help you find some good local brews to mix your own six (or 12 or 18).

CenMEBlackBearFan
December 2nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
I second that Peabody's notion! You could almost literally throw a rock there from the Hampton Inn. They have a great selection and a helpful staff that will help you find some good local brews to mix your own six (or 12 or 18).

Yes that is the place we went for Yuengling beer , then we asked why there was stools out front? His answer they are having a wine tasting event before the game and I said we are not wine drinkers so the Beer God says that are having a Beer Tasting event from 5-8, I told my son to pinch me, guess we know where we are going after the game!!!
I love this place, off to Mello Mushroom for dinner!
GO BLUE!!!

AppStsGr8
December 2nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Yes that is the place we went for Yuengling beer , then we asked why there was stools out front? His answer they are having a wine tasting event before the game and I said we are not wine drinkers so the Beer God says that are having a Beer Tasting event from 5-8, I told my son to pinch me, guess we know where we are going after the game!!!
GO BLUE!!!

Glad you're enjoying our little town and had a safe trip down. Hope to see you tomorrow at The Rock. Go APP!

biggie
December 2nd, 2011, 07:47 PM
GO BLUE!!!
Should be plenty of good beers to try at Mellow, though I haven't made it in there to drink since they opened in the new location. May even have Cottonwood on tap, all of that brand is good, started in Boone.

Mellow is a great place. If you like spicy, their blackened/jamacian jerk chicken sub/pizza is great.

appfan2008
December 2nd, 2011, 08:20 PM
You have got to walk from the Hampton... take in all the tailgating along the way!... the other week i parked at walmart which is a mile past the hampton... but that is just me... get out and enjoy our beautiful mountain weather...!

biggie
December 2nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
Good new video Elon highlights and pre-playoff motivation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlywHcel638&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlywHcel638&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
Good new video Elon highlights and pre-playoff motivation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlywHcel638#!
Just wanted to embed it.

That video has me JACKED. Especially starting at 2:00 on.

asumike83
December 3rd, 2011, 12:11 AM
That video makes me want to hit somebody in the mouth! xtroublex

AppMAN04
December 3rd, 2011, 06:48 AM
After watching that video, not only am I hyped but I believe we are going to win .. Just the way it is...

asumike83
December 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Not sure if the author knows anything more than the rest of us but the Rivals article says they are is expecting 20K at the game today. It is a gorgeous day up here and the lot is looking pretty lively but that is still probably optimistic. Perfect day for football though!

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Nowhere close to 20 K here today.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
looks like a sparse turnout today in Boone

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
ASU started at the 20 after the opening kickoff and went three and out on two incompletions.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Big hit by Maine's Trevor Coston to break up the third down pass.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Maine starts at the 32 after a punt and gains 9 on a bubble screen.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
ASU stuffs Maine on second down. Third and one.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
App State looks tiny.

Mr. C
Maine is out to the ASU 46 for a first down. The Black Bears are attacking with bubble screens.

mainejeff
TD.....MAINE!!!!!!!!!

R3TRO
7-0 Maine...

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
TD for Maine on a play fake and sprint out pass for Warren Smith. 7-0 with 12:48 left in the first.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
maine up 7-0 just like nothing

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Rodger Walker got badly burned on the play at CB. It reminded me of some of the breakdowns that ASU's secondary had against Virginia Tech. Good film study on the part of the Maine staff.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Maine getting really good penetration early.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Presley nearly broke loose for a possible TD on the KO return, but danced when he should have headed up the field. ASU has the ball at the 17 with a third and 13 upcoming.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
CB blitz and a nice hot read for Jamal Jackson for 25 yards to Cadet. First down ASU at the 42.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Dropped snap on a ball to Jackson's side. 2nd down at the 35.

ccd494
Boo birds out early down there?

Mr. C
The crowd doesn't like ASU's bubble screen calls. 3rd down from the 32.

dwtime
December 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
fickle App St. fans.......boo's already.

Mr. C
Boo birds out early down there?

They don't like the play calling. That is a normal thing at KBS. QB draw fails. 4th down.

mainejeff
App State fans already booing......Maine looks physically dominant right now.

dwtime
December 3rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Big time tackle there otherwise he is gone.

Mr. C
Maine takes over at the 18.

Mr. C
Big time tackle there otherwise he is gone.
Same thing on Maine's first possession with one of those bubble screens.

R3TRO
December 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
App State looks very undersized.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Maine looks physically dominant right now.

Before the game, talking to Jack Cosgrove, that was what he was hoping for. He thought ASU would have a big speed advantage.

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Yeah, we've been recruiting for speed more than size for years now. Not a big team.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM

true and also the reason CAA fans have such a good time in Boone

Mr. C

ASU is a speed team, with a lot of underclassmen. They haven't had time to develop in the weight room yet.

mainejeff
Perillo with a BIG 1st down catch.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
true and also the reason CAA fans have such a good time in Boone

Very few teams have a good time in Boone and ASU has dominated the CAA over the past few years.

mainejeff
Perillo!!!!!!!!! BIG gain!

Mr. C
Big catch by TE Perillo again. 1st down at the ASU 40.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Watching Maine's UNH tape, I thought Perillo might be a factor. Brown with a gain to the ASU 22.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Brown almost breaks it!

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Time out Maine with 5:56 left in the first period. Another bad start for the Mountaineers, who have had plenty of them lately (except for the Georgia Southern game).

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Brown almost breaks it!

Brown looks like the two weeks rest were very helpful for him.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM
Brown squeezes his way to the 18.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Pass interference on ASU's is flagged and then overturned. Weird call.

veinup
still 7-0 in here?

dwtime
Definetly interference

ccd494
Uncatchable?!

Mattymc727
December 3rd, 2011, 01:31 PM
What? aweful non call there

Mr. C
3rd and six from the 18.

Mr. C
What? aweful non call there

I agree. First down for Perillo inside the 10 and then a fumble.

ccd494
Is forward progress being stopped no longer a rule!?

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Maine is lucky to get the ball back. Near disaster there for the Black Bears. First and goal at the 9.

dwtime
December 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Maine getting homered at Boone, where was the whistle?

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Is forward progress being stopped no longer a rule!?

It look like he was still moving from the box. Intercepted and dropped by ASU.

Mr. C
Maine getting homered at Boone, where was the whistle?

Homered? Maine retained possession on the play.

mainejeff
Typical "Southern hospitality".........

Mr. C
Third and goal from the six.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Good coverage forced Smith to scramble and he is stopped at the 3. 20-yard field goal attempt for Harvey.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Harvey was shaky yesterday in practice and again today in warm-ups and Middleton blocked the kick.

Mattymc727
Maine got screwed out of 7 right there. Not a good momentum swing

ccd494
Maine shouldn't even try XPs, the kicking game has been that historically bad.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Rodger Walker, who got burned on the first TD pass, is out for the game with a groin injury. Nice excuse.

caryapp
Honest question at work and cant watch. How did Maine get screwed

Mr. C
Great coverage early for Maine's secondary. Third and 10, ASU at the 20.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Jackson seems a little too ramped up and overthrows another pass. Still no first downs for ASU and time for another punt.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Apps offense sucks.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM

I don't think they did, they wound up with 1st and goal regardless of a pass interference no call and couldn't cash in.

Mr. C
28-28 at halftime for Georgia Southern and ODU. Almost 350 yards of total offense.

Mattymc727

Should have been defensive pass interference in the endzone, yet the refs waived it off because they said the ball was uncatchable.... it was a catchable ball

Bogus Megapardus
Very impressed with Maine so far. Might cause me not to switch to Lehigh/Towson at 3:30.

caryapp
December 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
I don't think they did, they wound up with 1st and goal regardless of a pass interference no call and couldn't cash in. Thanks working on gamedays sucks!

Mr. C
Apps offense sucks.

They might right now, but they probably will turn it on after the first quarter ends.

caribbeanhen
Very few teams have a good time in Boone and ASU has dominated the CAA over the past few years.
I was referring to something else Mr Cxnodx

dwtime
Apps offense sucks.

So far they are but looking at box scores though it appears they start slow.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Nice run by Hood.

Mr. C
Maine is moving again in ASU territory. Second and six from the 36.

Mr. C
QB draw for Smith to the 34, third and three.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
First quarter end, Maine 7, ASU 0. It could be a lot worse for the Mountaineers.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
The last time these two teams played here in the 2002 playoffs, it was 0-0 at halftime and Maine used two big second-half plays for a 14-13 win on a cold and windy day.

caryapp
Wow App needs to rebound like they did against Elon or this could be a long day.

ccd494
First quarter end, Maine 7, ASU 0. It could be a lot worse for the Mountaineers.

Maine needs to cash in, can't let App hang around unnecessarily.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
Montana is up 10-0 late in the first quarter on Central Arkansas.

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
PICK!

dwtime
Easy pick there for App St.

Mr. C
Smith threw a short pass into double coverage and ASU intercepts. First career interception for Justin Lloyd.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Third and six upcoming for ASU at the 42.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
That was a fumble

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Quick was hit hard on a nice seem pass from Jackson and it is 3 and out again.

dwtime
December 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Nice hit close to a catch but refs got that right.

Mr. C
That was a fumble

That was an incompletion. He never had possession.

Mr. C
Maine's secondary has been a group of beasts thus far. Very impressive, but then we knew these guys were good.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
That was an incompletion. He never had possession.

Oh OK........ I guess that 2 steps with the ball in your hands isn't possession in the South......

AppChicago
Oh OK........ I guess that 2 steps with the ball in your hands isn't possession in the South......

Come off it.

Mr. C
ASU need to establish the running game set up the pass and hasn't come close to establishing the run yet.

DMo_JMU
December 3rd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Maine is the much better team. CAA all day

ccd494

I don't think he had two steps.

mainejeff
Maine needs to cash in here.......they should be ahead way more than 7-0....... that will come back to bite them eventually.

mainejeff
I don't think he had two steps.

Oh OK........I guess that I am watching a different game

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
Come off it.

Come on Jeff, you are seeing things.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
Third and three coming up for Maine from its own 27.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Underneath route is stopped short. Weird check off for Smith right there. Maine must punt.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Maine needs to go long........Smith now looking tentative

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Cadet dances to the ASU 42 on the punt return. 11:51 left in the half.

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Minus one big play defense is holding Maine well......if our offense doesn't get something going here soon......

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Read option keeper for Jackson for two yards.

insideout08

It's refs from the Northeast Conference....

Mr. C
Cadet steps out of bounds on a short-side option pitch. Third and 11.

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Strange playcalling for App...

caryapp
Minus one big play defense is holding Maine well......if our offense doesn't get something going here soon...... Not really without a pick and a blocked field goal where in deep ish

Mr. C
Finally a first down for ASU as Jackson sprints out and finds a receiver at the Maine 34 for 25 yards.

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Nice pass. JJ to Baker-Boney.

Mountaineer#96
Offensive play calling once again......not very out of the box for the Apps so far.

Mr. C
Jackson uses his feet again for another completion to the Maine 21.

Mountaineer#96
Thus far very close to the tempo/timeline of the Elon game last week.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Two runs produce next to nothing. Third and nine from the 20.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM
It's refs from the Northeast Conference....

NEC refs explain a lot. The same refs that work Ivy League and Big East games (yuck).

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:57 PM
Maine called its second time out.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
Thus far very close to the tempo/timeline of the Elon game last week.

I was thinking that too. The good thing for ASU is that the Mountaineers didn't get down 21-0.

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
TD APP!

ccd494
December 3rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
I have no idea why Maine is so good at blocking kicks, but I love it.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
8th blocked PAT of the year for Maine!

AppChicago
Yikes. No PAT. 7-6, Maine on top.

Mr. C
TD pass for Jackson to Peacock, who holds on for a 20-yard score. 7 plays, 58 yards. PAT was blocked by Michael Cole and hit the upright on the right and bounced away. Maine 7, ASU 6 with nine minutes left in the half.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
Peacock held on after he was drilled. Jackson had THREE open receivers and picked the most covered of the three and made a great throw.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
I have no idea why Maine is so good at blocking kicks, but I love it.

Two blocked kicks for the two teams today. ASU is good at that, too.

Mountaineer#96
Not really without a pick and a blocked field goal where in deep ish

So those are not defensive plays? ummm....

Mr. C
Maine starts at the 20.

Mr. C
Derek Session got leveled, but held out for a catch at the 32.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Brown is stopped at the 34, second and eight.

Mattymc727
Im so sick of the christmas comercial on espn 3. Its killing me

Mountaineer#96
John Holt is not a Special Teams coordinator......he was hired as a favor since he couldn't get a job anywhere else when he graduated. We need to find a guy who actually coaches special teams.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Pass to Session to the 39. THird and 3.

Mr. C
Smith slides in for a first down on the QB draw to the Maine 45.

mainejeff
Heady play by Smith

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
ASU doesn't wrap up on a tackle and Brown romps to the ASU 37.

mainejeff
Nice run by Brown!

AppChicago
Brown's slippery.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Brown is stop on two short gains, third and 8 from the 35.

mainejeff
Don't like that call

ccd494
Am I the only one that doesn't understand a word the sideline reporter says?

caryapp
December 3rd, 2011, 02:07 PM
So those are not defensive plays? ummm....You said we were holding them 226 yards in the first qtr and half is not holding them.

Mr. C
Skinny post to Aultman for the TD.

mainejeff
But I like that one!

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Jeezus......

ccd494
I wasn't kidding when I said Maine has no business ever kicking the ball.

AppChicago
Got a hand on that PAT! 13-6 Maine.

Mr. C
35 yard TD pass makes it Maine 13, ASU 6. Gordy Witte with the block after a high snap.

UNH_Alum_In_CT

Use Firefox with AdBlock and you don't see the commercials.

insideout08
These teams kick PATs like Furman (i.e., NOT GOOD).

Mr. C
Maine seems to have issues all the time on snaps and holds.

AppChicago

Okay, I'm officially with you on that.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2011, 02:09 PM

The one with the ringing phone gets me everytime, I have the same ringtone.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
These teams kick PATs like Furman (i.e., NOT GOOD).

They should run the Chris Triester two-point play again like they did at JMU to win 25-24 in OT.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
The special teams play by both teams has been horrendous. Cadet dropped the KO at the one and got back to the 13.

insideout08
They should run the Chris Triester two-point play again like they did at JMU to win 25-24 in OT.

Agreed! That was great.

Bison06
Is App. State just playing bad or is Maine this good? They should be up by 21 points from what I have seen and are dominating this game.

Mr. C
The pocket collapses on Jackson for a one-yard sack. Coverage sack.

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
I hate to say it, but our limp offense is starting to bum me out a little. Let's pick it up, Apps.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Is App. State just playing bad or is Maine this good? They should be up by 21 points from what I have seen and are dominating this game.

Maine is very good and ASU most often starts slowly.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
DeAndre Presley made a nice catch and run with a good block from Cadet. First down ASU at the 38.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Cadet option pitch to the 41. 2nd and 7.

Bison06
December 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Maine is very good and ASU most often starts slowly.

They better get it together, they are lucky to still be in the game.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Jordan with a catch, but he bounces off and loses some of his positive yardage to the 43.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Nice blitz pickup by Jackson and a completion to Quick for a first down at the 50. Quick showed his NFL ability to get that.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Quick catch at the Maine 29 in heavy coverage is called out of bounds.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Huge sack for Troy Russell on Jackson back to the ASU 40.

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'm wondering when the App fans are going to take back all the smack??? This Maine defense is like nothing they've seen in a long time.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
4th down and a time out for Maine (taken late) with 26.3 seconds left in the half to force a punt.

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
I'm wondering when the App fans are going to take back all the smack??? This Maine defense is like nothing they've seen in a long time.

Did you see a lot of smack?

TwoFeathers
Didn't Maine finish 4th in the CAA?

caryapp
I'm wondering when the App fans are going to take back all the smack??? This Maine defense is like nothing they've seen in a long time.As one who didnt talk smack i would say not before the game is over. Maine D so far is lights out

Mr. C
Sam Martin punt is downed at the Maine 15 with 13 seconds left.

TwoFeathers
Did you see a lot of smack?

I assume you're joking, right?

Mountaineer#96

Well here is the thing.....Maine is up by a score, why would people start eating crow when they are down by 7 in the first half. Just think before you speak.

TwoFeathers
As one who didnt talk smack i would say not before the game is over. Maine D so far is lights out

Agreed.

Mr. C
Maine downs the ball and it is halftime.

mainejeff
Glad that Maine goes into the half with the lead because they have been dominant for most of the 1st half......

boonedocks
December 3rd, 2011, 02:19 PM

No different than other defenses this year that have made App look bad. Our offense and offensive staff are struggling to say the least.

AppChicago
I assume you're joking, right?

No. I'm not. You mean smack directed at the CAA, generally? Or at Maine, specifically? Because outside a couple of loudmouths, I didn't see an awful lot of the latter.

TwoFeathers
Well here is the thing.....Maine is up by a score, why would people start eating crow when they are down by 7 in the first half. Just think before you speak.

True...

Mr. C
ASU has dodged some bullets and could be down by a bunch, instead of trailing 13-6.

asuboys
December 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Maine tied for 2nd in CAA...

TwoFeathers
December 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
No. I'm not. You mean smack directed at the CAA, generally? Or at Maine, specifically? Because outside a couple of loudmouths, I didn't see an awful lot of the latter.

I think alot of folks overlooked Maine. Maybe I was confusing App fans with Ga Southern fans. ;)

veinup
December 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
update from missoula for those who care: grizzlies up 31-0 over the bears, 20 seconds left first half.

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
I think alot of folks overlooked Maine. Maybe I was confusing App fans with Ga Southern fans. ;)

Ha. Now that's something you NEVER want to do. And I do think some looked past Maine, but I just don't recall seeing a lot of blatant smack, here or elsewhere. I think App fans are realistic about our team this year, for the most part, and the smart ones aren't looking past any team, least of all a solid team from a solid conference.

However, the battle between SoCon and CAA boosters is neverending. We should all remember that one team is not a conference and one game is not a team.

Having said all that, I think it's WAY too early to start writing App off in this one. Still anyone's ball game, no?

boonedocks
December 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
How is Bill and Mary's playoff game going?

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Maine needs a BIG play early this half or it's gonna be a REAL battle down the stretch...........

boonedocks
December 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
App can't run the ball, so unless Jamal plays mistake-free football it will be a long second half.

veinup
December 3rd, 2011, 02:36 PM
c'mon, apps. git 'er done in the second half. i'm with you.

AppChicago
December 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Maine starts first drive of second half at the 24.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Three and out for Maine to start the 2nd half after narrowly missing another long bomb.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
Coston might be injured.....that would be bad for Maine

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
ASU takes over at the 38.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
Quick is hit at the 12 and is forced out of bounds for an incompletion.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
3 and out for ASU, more great secondary work for Maine.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Shanked punt for Sam Martin to the Maine 42.

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Well if we trade 3 and outs the law of averages beats us since we are down by 7.

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
We need a special teams coach.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
1st down for Maine on a Smith to Aultman completion at the ASU 41.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
We need a special teams coach.
Come on. The special teams coach doesn't shank a punt and he doesn't kick with a groin injury.

boonedocks
December 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
#96 you may be right, but no special teams coach can suit up and punt it themselves.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
A pass in the end zone goes through the hands of the WR. Should have been six.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Smith makes a nice scramble and move to gain 9 yards on third down. Fourth and one from the 32.

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Brown's strength gives Maine a first down at the 26 when he was initially stopped.

mainejeff
Big 4th down conversion there

Mr. C
Brown to the 21.

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2011, 02:55 PM
The punt isn't the exact reason why we need a legit special teams coach......throughout the entire year from snaps, stupid penalties, missed blocks, assignments, etc .....it has happened. When Dale Jones ran the special teams while the linebacker coach as well, we never were this lackluster on special teams. If you could argue otherwise, you are not watching the same games I am.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
TD.......MAINE!!!!

Mr. C
Maine schemes ASU into a secondary mistake and gets another TD pass. Maine 20, ASU 6. 8:32 left in the third.

mainejeff
20-6 Maine

Mountaineer#96
Short field because of mistakes on special teams = Maine TD

Mr. C
Double personal fouls on ASU and Maine on the PAT.

ccd494
December 3rd, 2011, 02:57 PM
Double personal fouls on ASU and Maine on the PAT.

Seemed like he said only on App, and just pointed the wrong way initially.

boonedocks
December 3rd, 2011, 02:58 PM
I don't know, our kickoff coverage has been better than it has in the past. Even in the championship years, our kickoff coverage was atrocious. Not saying we don't need a diff coordinator, just saying.

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
I will agree about kickoff coverage....but they didn't make mistakes in the likes of penalties and blown assignments like they do now. The guys wouldn't get down the field and cover very quickly but it looked like a bend but don't break mentality.

asuboys
December 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
The App play calls are atrocious.

boonedocks
December 3rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
16 rushes for 5 yards, combined with a good game and gameplan on offense for maine tells the whole story

veinup
December 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
gosh dangit. hang in there APPS.

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
When we first put this style of offense in back in '04 would anyone think that we would call ourselves predictable?

Mr. C
December 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Maine stops ASU again. ASU's defense has to stop the Bears here from the Maine 46.