PDA

View Full Version : CSJ: Was it ESPN That Chose Eastern Kentucky for the FCS Playoffs?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/107-was-it-espn-that-chose-eastern-kentucky-for-the-field

At the FCS level, college football fans like to picture their pristine subdivision free of the political wrangling that seems to dominate the headlines in the BCS, with its crazy computer polls and politicking for position.

They groan about the inordinate influence TV has on the outcomes of the bowls, and moan that some team in a conference deserved to be in a particular bowl, and another team was unfairly shut out.

But after seeing the shock of the final team in the FCS Playoff field this weekend, I think it's time to revise FCS college football fans' thinking of the selection process.

For television and politics seem to be very much present as well in FCS in terms of the selection process - as fans of 7-4 Illinois State discovered to their detriment.

Like College Sports Journal on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/College-Sports-Journal/234435853282713)
Follow College Sports Journal on Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/CollegeSportsJ)

superman7515
November 21st, 2011, 11:49 AM
When you click on the link it says you need a password to access the administrator's backend of the website. Here's a working link...

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/107-was-it-espn-that-chose-eastern-kentucky-for-the-field

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks, Supe. I also fixed the link on the top now as well.

Bam
November 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM
I love it! ESPN is EKU's b*tch.

4th and What?
November 21st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Yup, ESPN is involved in a conspiracy in order to give an easier day to one of their camera crews....sigh.

Redhawk2010
November 21st, 2011, 11:57 AM
At some point, maybe we'll get over the whole conspiracy theory that is going on here this weekend.

EKU finished tied for first place in their conference with a record of 6-2, 7-4
Illinois State finished 3rd in their conference with a record of 5-3, 7-4.

EKU had a bad loss to Austin Peay. Illinois State had a bad loss to Eastern Illinois. Austin Peay went 3-8 while Eastern Illinois went 2-9.

Cocky
November 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
This has to be the reach of the decade.
It maybe that JMU has the largest potential viewership of traveling teams?
EKU deserved to be in the field as much as ISU or any other left out team. ISUs schedule isn't any tougher than EKUs. ISU played EIU, Morehead St and South Dakota OCC while EKU played Kansas St, Missouri St and Chattanooga (who had the starting QB then). Give the MVC a stronger top of the conference but the record was a split in games played between MVC and OVC.

For the record, I dont believe ESPN give a rip about the FCS.

JMU_71
November 21st, 2011, 12:11 PM
EKU deserved to be in the field as much as ISU or any other left out team. ISUs schedule isn't any tougher than EKUs. ISU played EIU, Morehead St and South Dakota OCC while EKU played Kansas St, Missouri St and Chattanooga (who had the starting QB then). Give the MVC a stronger top of the conference but the record was a split in games played between MVC and OVC.

Cocky makes the best argument I've heard for EKU.

Bogus Megapardus
November 21st, 2011, 12:11 PM
Wouldn't FCS do better by contracting with CBS College or Versus for the selection show and the playoffs? Disney/ESPN owns and operates the BCS and that remains its only interest. It wants casual fans to believe that there is no other college football. What an incredibly shoddy job its did with the selection show, as it does year after year.

Why not contract with CBS College or Versus for the selection show and playoff games?

Bam
November 21st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Cocky makes the best argument I've heard for EKU.

I was typing the same thing last night Cocky, but I passed out due to all the bourbon I had during my Selection Show after party.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 12:18 PM
I was typing the same thing last night Cocky, but I passed out due to all the bourbon I had during my Selection Show after party.

Bam you are making me xlolx

DukeJack
November 21st, 2011, 12:19 PM
JMU fans also thought ESPN rigged the bracket in 2006 to get a premier ESPN2 matchup between the #4 seed YSU and the regular season #6 JMU because we were closer to Hampton than UNH was. Some people just can't accept reality.

Bam
November 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM
Bam you are making me xlolx

Hell if I didn't have two F'in jobs I would still be tore up.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM

Let's assume, for the moment, that what you say is true about EKU's selection into the field. And I freely admit that they don't have a terrible case for inclusion.

But what about having a team that averages 15,000 more fans a game travelling to their place in the first round in the playoffs? Any rationale for that, aside from "well, that means they'll travel better"?

Saint3333
November 21st, 2011, 12:21 PM

No play-in or first round games on ESPN (3 doesn't count) I'd say that is a very accurate statement. FCS coverage slips again, we're close to getting the D2 & D3 treatment from a coverage perspective.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
This story is a joke. Funny thing is, ISU fans were convinced they were in because ESPN had to spend some money for the broadcast of last Saturday's game.

NHwildEcat
November 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Wouldn't FCS do better by contracting with CBS College or Versus for the selection show and the playoffs? Disney/ESPN owns and operates the BCS and that remains its only interest. It wants casual fans to believe that there is no other college football. What an incredibly shoddy job its did with the selection show, as it does year after year.

Why not contract with CBS College or Versus for the selection show and playoff games?

It's a fair question...I doubt Versus/NBC would care because they focus on hockey and Notre Dame. CBS College would make the most sense, but I have a feeling the NCAA championships contract with ESPN has the FCS playoffs included along with most of the other NCAA sponsored sports.

Also, ESPN works out well for the majority of us. ESPN3 has become a huge positive, and seeing as how ALL of the 1st and 2nd round games are available online is certainly a welcomed idea.

Bam
November 21st, 2011, 12:27 PM
Let's assume, for the moment, that what you say is true about EKU's selection into the field. And I freely admit that they don't have a terrible case for inclusion.

But what about having a team that averages 15,000 more fans a game travelling to their place in the first round in the playoffs? Any rationale for that, aside from "well, that means they'll travel better"?

Attendance at EKU games has always been a sore spot for this multi year season ticket holder. If we could get the damn Mardi Gras atomsphere from the tailgate area to the stadium WATCH OUT!

EKUSteve
November 21st, 2011, 12:33 PM
I don't think ESPN had input in our selection to the field.
I can see ESPN deciding which game to televise, once the games were set, based on a business decision by them since UK will be playing ball that night on ESPN.

Bam
November 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Fox Sports is caring the pUKe b-ball game & I think the football game is at the same time!

Side Judge
November 21st, 2011, 12:59 PM
I think ESPN kinda liked showcasing Biden during last year's playoffs - now maybe he's considered radioactive so they deep-sixed Delaware - otherwise I'd imagine that if they had any pull they'd push to have Delaware again.

Personally I think Cocky's right - ESPN could care less about FCS - to them the FCS playoffs are merely filler leading up to the bowl season...

DJnva
November 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM
The UK game is NOT on ESPN. Christ, nice editing.

The UK game is on FS South. ESPN is carrying all football on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU that evening.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM

The UK game is on FS South. ESPN is carrying all football on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU that evening.

Lol. This story just got even more worthless.

Jazzman1522
November 21st, 2011, 01:47 PM
That is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Even if ESPN was carrying the UK game, that would lend itself to the idea that the worldwide leader in sports only has one camera crew. And judging by the fact that they had College Gameday at Houston this past weekend, where they weren't broadcasting the game, and had Kirk Herbstreit in Oregon that same night, I don't think they really care about "convenience" that much.

Also, as a biased Eastern fan, I have to bring this up. Why does it seem like we're the only ones that everyone is questioning? I promise I'm not trying to rip on anyone else's team, but what about the team we're playing this weekend? James Madison had the same record as us, their only out of conference win was Central Connecticut State, and they only beat one team with a winning record. Now, I follow Eastern's football team very closely and, thus, I follow the OVC pretty closely. Beyond that, I really don't much besides what I can read on the Sports Network. I'm not gonna try and pretend the OVC's a strong conference. It's not, I recognize that. But is the CAA that much better, that the 6th place team isn't even questioned for getting in, while Eastern, who won a share of their conference title, apparently has no business being there? I'm sorry if I'm whining too much, but I honestly don't get it. We were a bubble team, I know. And if we hadn't gotten in, I wouldn't have been surprised. But we were the only questionable team to get in? Come on.

BisonLakes
November 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM
That is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Even if ESPN was carrying the UK game, that would lend itself to the idea that the worldwide leader in sports only has one camera crew. And judging by the fact that they had College Gameday at Houston this past weekend, where they weren't broadcasting the game, and had Kirk Herbstreit in Oregon that same night, I don't think they really care about "convenience" that much.

Also, as a biased Eastern fan, I have to bring this up. Why does it seem like we're the only ones that everyone is questioning? I promise I'm not trying to rip on anyone else's team, but what about the team we're playing this weekend? James Madison had the same record as us, their only out of conference win was Central Connecticut State, and they only beat one team with a winning record. Now, I follow Eastern's football team very closely and, thus, I follow the OVC pretty closely. Beyond that, I really don't much besides what I can read on the Sports Network. I'm not gonna try and pretend the OVC's a strong conference. It's not, I recognize that. But is the CAA that much better, that the 6th place team isn't even questioned for getting in, while Eastern, who won a share of their conference title, apparently has no business being there? I'm sorry if I'm whining too much, but I honestly don't get it. We were a bubble team, I know. And if we hadn't gotten in, I wouldn't have been surprised. But we were the only questionable team to get in? Come on.

Quit whining. You guys used to dominate, now you don't. WTF happened?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM

... and carried on ESPN3.

veinup
November 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM
is ESPN3 an actual TV channel, or just a website?

boonegoon
November 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM

I was surprised to see the selection committee pick EKU. Especially after you guys got handled by Chattanooga. But now is the time where your team proves everyone wrong. I sincerely wish you guys the best.

ekufbfan
November 21st, 2011, 02:00 PM
Quit whining. You guys used to dominate, now you don't. WTF happened?
Crap, the "whining" you are talking about is coming from those who did not get in, think they should have gotten in and from others who have taken up their
"cause". I have not seen one EKU fan on her "whining" I have seen EKU fans taking part in the "discussion" ABOUT EKU, looks like you wouild expect that from any good fan!
As far as our program is concerned, Coach Kidd retired, and others found the Florida pipeline and then there is South Florida, Central Florida, Florida International ,etc. Much harder to recruit those great players fom Florida and Georgia, which we had a bunch of in those days!

MTfan4life
November 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
Lol. This story just got even more worthless.

This ^^^^^ ESPN, cutting costs. Yep, that sure must be the case! They ship people everywhere every weekend, but they decided to make it easy on the espnu crew for this weekend? I don't know about that, especially considering the Kentucky/Portland game is on FS. I wish they would release why that team got the home game, but justifying it as cutting costs would nullify that point considering having it at JMU would increase ticket revenue.

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM
Has LFN ever worked a live game shoot? I've worked numerous shoots for networks including the ill-fated Football Network, CSTV (now CBS College Sports), Cox Sports, Comcast Sports Southeast, Fox Sports Net, ESPN and the NFL on CBS... and may be able to speak from experience here.

Seems that you would still need two production trucks so that the equipment is all set. Could you have a few of the same crew members? Certainly, but not enough could work both that you would save significant money...

You would still need people at both locations - some tearing it down at EKU while the others are ramping it up in Lexington. The crew at EKU probably arrives Friday to set up while the crew for the UK game would set up the morning of.

Conspiracy theorists, those PL folks are... come on, Chuck! You are stretching in a big way...

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 02:22 PM
What a terrible piece of "reporting".

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 02:23 PM
I wish they would release why that team got the home game, but justifying it as cutting costs would nullify that point considering having it at JMU would increase ticket revenue.

This would be news - ESPN gets a cut of the gate at FCS playoff games? xlolx

kdinva
November 21st, 2011, 02:39 PM
No play-in or first round games on ESPN

.......JMU @ EKU game on ESPN-U.........(Pam Ward and former Boise St/Colo. coach Hawkins on the call).
http://ekusports.com/news/2011/11/21/FOOTBALL_1121113836.aspx

kdinva
November 21st, 2011, 02:40 PM
is ESPN3 an actual TV channel, or just a website?

web streaming.

JSUBison
November 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
.......JMU @ EKU game on ESPN-U.........(Pam Ward and former Boise St/Colo. coach Hawkins on the call).
http://ekusports.com/news/2011/11/21/FOOTBALL_1121113836.aspx

Can't stand women in the broadcast booth for college football. Can't stand them on the sideline either now that I think of it. I am woman hear me puke.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Some more was added to the article, though the main theme is still the same.

superman7515
November 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM
ESPN and the NCAA are just doing what they're told.

http://images.tvrage.com/cguide/32/1090.jpg

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2011, 06:42 PM
Some more was added to the article, though the main theme is still the same.

xlolx

Dallas Demon
November 21st, 2011, 07:00 PM
Has LFN ever worked a live game shoot? I've worked numerous shoots for networks including the ill-fated Football Network, CSTV (now CBS College Sports), Cox Sports, Comcast Sports Southeast, Fox Sports Net, ESPN and the NFL on CBS... and may be able to speak from experience here.

Seems that you would still need two production trucks so that the equipment is all set. Could you have a few of the same crew members? Certainly, but not enough could work both that you would save significant money...

You would still need people at both locations - some tearing it down at EKU while the others are ramping it up in Lexington. The crew at EKU probably arrives Friday to set up while the crew for the UK game would set up the morning of.

Conspiracy theorists, those PL folks are... come on, Chuck! You are stretching in a big way...

Correct, trucks/crew are at a site very early, so multiple crews would be needed. This is very irresponsible and immature writing. Congrats EKU, the gentleman from EKU who posted earlier in this thread put up the clearest reasoning for the Colonels being selected - made perfect sense to me. xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 07:32 PM
This is very irresponsible and immature writing...

That is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read. ...

This story is a joke. ...

This has to be the reach of the decade....

Chuck! You are stretching in a big way...

Funny, a lot of "criticism", yet not a single refutation of the main points.

Why EKU? Why not Illinois State, an actual Top 25 team?

Why should they host, and not JMU, the No. 3 team overall in attendance?

Why should ESPNU televise this game, instead of Norfolk State/Old Dominion, a game that will almost certainly be a sellout?

Do we get answers to these questions from the naysayers?

No. Just a lot of hair-splitting about TV crews.

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 07:43 PM

Yes, you get an answer actually. JMU only bid $46k in round 1. This information was obtained by the Harrisonburg Daily News Record, JMU Football Reporter via a Freedom of Information Act request today. EKU outbid JMU and it's as simple as that in regards to this question. THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY THEORY and this article is completely irresponsible "journalism" in my opinion.

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 07:53 PM
This is what is being reported at this point in regards to JMU's bids:

- 1st round bid was $46,768.50
- For a second-round game, when the minimum is still $30,000, JMU bid $76,168.50.
- For the third round (minimum $40,000), it bid $100,056.
- For the fourth round, when the minimum is $50,000, Madison bid $125,743.50.

Dallas Demon
November 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM

Why should ESPNU televise this game, instead of Norfolk State/Old Dominion, a game that will almost certainly be a sellout?

Redhawk posted earlier in this thread. Need to also consider that EKU beat EIU while EIU beat Illinois St.

At some point, maybe we'll get over the whole conspiracy theory that is going on here this weekend.

EKU had a bad loss to Austin Peay. Illinois State had a bad loss to Eastern Illinois. Austin Peay went 3-8 while Eastern Illinois went 2-9.

Regarding the big, whitey just posted an explanation on that. Personally, I think Illinois St. was a very good team, it is unfortunate they were not included. But it is clear the logic of why EKU was selected.

Regarding why televise EKU/JMU, perhaps there was a projection on what viewers would want to see the most - not sure.

GSU Eagle
November 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM
So we are safe to assume that to get a 1st round game if you are not a seed you need a bid at least in excess of $50,000

Cocky
November 21st, 2011, 07:56 PM

EKU had a better resume. Opinions just like yours but no conspiracy.

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 07:58 PM
So we are safe to assume that to get a 1st round game if you are not a seed you need a bid at least in excess of $50,000

That or more. Apparently the same reporter filed a FOIA request with EKU also to obtain their bids so maybe we might actually find out. I think ODU's bids have been made public as well so I'm trying to dig those up. Norfolk State did not place a bid at all so that might not prove to be definitive but could prove informative.

DMo_JMU
November 21st, 2011, 08:02 PM
JMU AD took a BIG risk and low balled our first round offer, so we will not be hosting. Simple as that. No conspiracy. JMU fans are furious and the AD is certainly feeling the heat

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 08:09 PM
I also find it ridiculous that people are questioning ESPN's choice of showcasing JMU @ EKU on ESPN "The Ocho" next week. Maybe I'm just being a homer but come on. While Eastern Kentucky hasn't had a lot of playoff success recently they are still, historically, one of the better I-AA teams ever (20 conference championships and 2 national titles). And, last time I checked, James Madison is the same school that won the whole thing in 2004 and had the upset of the year least year against Virginia Tech.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2011, 08:18 PM

Huh? The Kentucky game is not on ESPN.

There is no supporting evidence for his main point. What is there to refute?

This is like talking heads on some far left or far right tv or radio show making wild accusations.... and then saying... "Funny, a lot of "criticism", yet not a single refutation of the main points." xlolxxrotatehxxsmhx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 08:21 PM

This is like talking heads on some far left or far right tv or radio show making wild accusations.... and then saying... "Funny, a lot of "criticism", yet not a single refutation of the main points." xlolxxrotatehxxsmhx

You mean the SEC network - owned by ESPN?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 08:22 PM
That or more. Apparently the same reporter filed a FOIA request with EKU also to obtain their bids so maybe we might actually find out. I think ODU's bids have been made public as well so I'm trying to dig those up. Norfolk State did not place a bid at all so that might not prove to be definitive but could prove informative.

I'm glad someone is doing this.

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 08:22 PM

Exactly.

The only things left to refute are LFN's questions about why EKU is hosting and why the JMU @ EKU game is on television. But I'm pretty sure I addressed those in my last few posts. This is completely irresponsible reporting.

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 08:29 PM
I found ODU's bids over on the CAAZone:

Round 1: $54,000 (min. $30,000)
Round 2: $58,000 (min. $30,000)
Round 3: $77,000 (min. $40,000)
Did not bid on a semifinal game (min. $50,000) because of graduation ceremonies.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2011, 08:29 PM
You mean the SEC network - owned by ESPN?

Uhhhh. No. I mean the FS South network - owned by Fox.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2cnwehi.jpg

espn3 will be streaming it from their website... but, ESPN's camera crews won't be there. Just as SoCon games are streamed on ESPN3.com... but, they are shot by PBS.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 08:44 PM
Uhhhh. No. I mean ...

The UK basketball game is produced by IMG, a national media company that does business with ESPN.

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM
Are you that bored you feel the need to troll your own thread?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM
Are you that bored you feel the need to troll your own thread?

What are you doing here, then? I'm just pointing out the facts to support what I'm saying.

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 08:50 PM
I'm that bored, obviously. Just trying to figure out if you are too. Ha.

The problem is this conspiracy theory you've gotten yourself behind is almost as unbelievable as the 9/11 ones.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2011, 08:50 PM
The UK basketball game is produced by IMG, a national media company that does business with ESPN.

radio.

maybe you should rework the article to be a radio based conspiracy. xlolx

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM
People listen to the radio?

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2011, 08:54 PM
I'm just pointing out the facts to support what I'm saying.

No. You're spinning the "facts" to defend this garbage article.

I really like the website and have enjoyed reading almost every article I've read since it launched... but, defending this article... that lacks any sort of evidence or facts... is ludicrous. It's all speculation, innuendo, accusation, etc. and very little substance.

ekufbfan
November 21st, 2011, 09:13 PM
Conspiracy? Of course, EKU has that much clout boys. So, while you are you losing sleep, tying up your time and doing all this "investigative" reporting maybe you can discover if Kim Kardashin's wedding really was a TV reality show setup, who shot JR and how many face lifts Burt Reynolds has had??????

DJnva
November 21st, 2011, 09:16 PM
And the ESPN3 for the UK game is a video feed from UK, not an ESPN crew.

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 10:25 PM
Chuck -

You do bring up valid points about EKU getting in the field and their worthiness. I do not think many are denying that there could be an argument made that there are other teams as deserving, if not more so of a spot.

The issue lies in your rhetoric of ESPN choosing EKU over the other schools for the FCS playoffs. As Dallas Demon seconded, "trucks/crew are at a site very early, so multiple crews would be needed."

You lost some credibility with your writing when you point the finger of blame on ESPN, when there's simply no way they really save money - if at all - from broadcasting two games in the very general vicinity, since they need two trucks and two crews. It may even be more expensive because the one 'regional' satellite truck is nearby and they have to go a bit further than usual to get a second satellite truck.

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2011, 10:35 PM

Because no actual research was done and the main points have refuted. All of the other questions have been anseered in other threads.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
Chuck -

You do bring up valid points about EKU getting in the field and their worthiness. I do not think many are denying that there could be an argument made that there are other teams as deserving, if not more so of a spot.

The issue lies in your rhetoric of ESPN choosing EKU over the other schools for the FCS playoffs. As Dallas Demon seconded, "trucks/crew are at a site very early, so multiple crews would be needed."

You lost some credibility with your writing when you point the finger of blame on ESPN, when there's simply no way they really save money - if at all - from broadcasting two games in the very general vicinity, since they need two trucks and two crews. It may even be more expensive because the one 'regional' satellite truck is nearby and they have to go a bit further than usual to get a second satellite truck.

Hmm, they create a lot of extra jobs for their ESPN-owned affiliate, SEC TV.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 08:54 AM
Because no actual research was done and the main points have refuted. All of the other questions have been anseered in other threads.

I don't think you read the article.

henfan
November 22nd, 2011, 09:06 AM
It's a kin-spiracy I tells ya.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg10/kidthatsirish/tinfoil-hat.jpg

xcrazyx

Cocky
November 22nd, 2011, 09:09 AM

Before or after you changed it?

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2011, 09:17 AM

EKU won a share of their conference title, right? Did ISUr? No..they didn't finish top 2

Do we actually know how much EKU bid on the game? Maybe JMU didn't put up enough cash? Maybe because JMU had someone on the committee they gave the game to EKU? Maybe they flipped a coin?

Does Norfolk State and ODU appeal to anyone not in the tidewater?

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
This is what is being reported at this point in regards to JMU's bids:

- 1st round bid was $46,768.50
- For a second-round game, when the minimum is still $30,000, JMU bid $76,168.50.
- For the third round (minimum $40,000), it bid $100,056.
- For the fourth round, when the minimum is $50,000, Madison bid $125,743.50.

That is really stupid bidding. Even on Thanksgiving weekend, JMU could probably draw ~15,000 people. The NCAA's 75% cut would easily cover a much higher bid.

15,000*$25*.75 ~ $280,000

Terrible

bluehenbillk
November 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
This thread screams out to me: "Hey, I have a new website that isn't getting much traffic - let me say something off the wall & maybe we'll get some hits!!"

whitey
November 22nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
That is really stupid bidding. Even on Thanksgiving weekend, JMU could probably draw ~15,000 people. The NCAA's 75% cut would easily cover a much higher bid.

15,000*$25*.75 ~ $280,000

Terrible

Yeah it's not good. The bids for the other rounds look pretty good. More than what ODU bid. I'd love to see how rounds 2-4 stack up with other schools. The major problem with the week 1 bid is they only assumed a crowd of 12,000 (http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205336755&DB_OEM_ID=14400). Back in 2008, before the stadium was renovated and our stadium sat about 16,000 we drew 12,800 vs. Wofford on Thanksgiving weekend. It's pretty sad that they made assumption we would have such a low turnout considering we had 25,000+ at each home game this year and the we've missed on making the playoffs the last two seasons. JMU fans are super excited about being back in the playoffs and I'm thinking the turnout would have been pretty good. Not 20,000 good but maybe more in the 15k-18k range.

EKUSteve
November 22nd, 2011, 10:03 AM
This thread screams out to me: "Hey, I have a new website that isn't getting much traffic - let me say something off the wall & maybe we'll get some hits!!"

Agree. This is Coulson's site. He used to be the FCS writer for TSN. Burton is the one who wrote it.

EKUSteve
November 22nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah it's not good. The bids for the other rounds look pretty good. More than what ODU bid. I'd love to see how rounds 2-4 stack up with other schools. The major problem with the week 1 bid is they only assumed a crowd of 12,000 (http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205336755&DB_OEM_ID=14400). Back in 2008, before the stadium was renovated and our stadium sat about 16,000 we drew 12,800 vs. Wofford on Thanksgiving weekend. It's pretty sad that they made assumption we would have such a low turnout considering we had 25,000+ at each home game this year and the we've missed on making the playoffs the last two seasons. JMU fans are super excited about being back in the playoffs and I'm thinking the turnout would have been pretty good. Not 20,000 good but maybe more in the 15k-18k range.

I'm glad we somehow got the home game and am hoping for a crowd. Not sure what we will get. Where JMU is far enough away from the bigger schools to draw, we are having to compete Saturday with UK being 25 miles up the road playing at home against Tennessee.....

whitey
November 22nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'm glad we somehow got the home game and am hoping for a crowd. Not sure what we will get. Where JMU is far enough away from the bigger schools to draw, we are having to compete Saturday with UK being 25 miles up the road playing at home against Tennessee.....

Yeah, not sure how many to expect from JMU. I think they've set up some bus trips from Harrisonburg that leave Friday and come back Saturday night or Sunday morning. JMU to EKU is not un-drivable (420 miles) so I hope JMU has a good turnout. Only problem is students are on break and a ton of JMU alums live in Northern Virginia or Richmond which are both 8+ hours away making it a difficult drive for a holiday weekend. My best guess is JMU will have at least 400 but no more than 800.

EKUSteve
November 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah, not sure how many to expect from JMU. I think they've set up some bus trips from Harrisonburg that leave Friday and come back Saturday night or Sunday morning. JMU to EKU is not un-drivable (420 miles) so I hope JMU has a good turnout. Only problem is students are on break and a ton of JMU alums live in Northern Virginia or Richmond which are both 8+ hours away making it a difficult drive for a holiday weekend. My best guess is JMU will have at least 400 but no more than 800.

Our students are out too, so it will be a question on how many we have at the game. If you have 800, you will fill the visitor stands easy.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 10:25 AM

I didn't re-read it after edits. ;)

Shouldn't have been made public as it was originally posted.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Still a garbage article. JMU's bid was made public and they under bid this round.

Mr. C
November 22nd, 2011, 10:54 AM

What a dumb statement. Our traffic figures have been just fine for a site that is about a month old. Our columnist have the autonomy to write what they want to write about. If you want to talk about off the wall, look at some of the goofy stuff that comes out of TSN sometimes.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Still a garbage article. JMU's bid was made public and they under bid this round.

EKU's bid has still not been made public. All that's known about the bidding process is that JMU's bid seemed low, but there's no way to verify it until EKU's bid comes out.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 11:06 AM

Rest assured that this new website is getting plenty of traffic.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
I also want to clarify that my comments only refresh to this specific article, not the writer himself.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
Once we get into the third round, some of the games are already slated for Friday evenings. That seems to me that some decision had to be made to include and properly "space" those schoosl with lights to be able to host a Friday night assignment. I'm still finding it hard to think how we got "out bid" by Towson for a home game. Their capacity is 5,000 less than Goodman. Curious.

Dallas Demon
November 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM

One other thing about Eastern Kentucky that hasn't been stressed enough. The current #11 BCS ranked team, Kansas St., came from behind to score a TD with 1:39 remaining in the game to beat the Colonels. That is a VERY impressive showing. I see all the threads/posts/high-fives about the SoCon teams faring well against their BCS teams the last week, but they all got beat by 20+ points in the end and it really wasn't close. Heck, Northwestern St. held LSU to a 7-3 lead well into the 2nd quarter, better than most teams on LSU's schedule, but in the end couldn't hold up like the SoCon teams against their BCS opponents. EKU did, and this should be recognized regardless of what conference they play in.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
What a dumb statement. Our traffic figures have been just fine for a site that is about a month old. Our columnist have the autonomy to write what they want to write about. If you want to talk about off the wall, look at some of the goofy stuff that comes out of TSN sometimes.

Mr. C - you have gotten pretty combative as of late as it relates to TSN.

EKUSteve
November 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
If they had really done their research, they could have come up with the EKU alum that leads ESPNs recruting shows, Tom Luginbill, being responsible for EKU making the playoffs and getting a home game...

Bam
November 22nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
I love it!!!!! NINE PAGES & COUNTING ABOUT EKU ON AGS! I have died and went to heaven!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
I love it!!!!! NINE PAGES & COUNTING ABOUT EKU ON AGS! I have died and went to heaven!

Please, don't start drinking against until Friday, Bam.. Take Thanksgiving off! xlolx

JMUNJ08
November 22nd, 2011, 01:06 PM

Sounds about right. Not much alums in the Kentucky area. Besides VA/DC, I would say the rest are PA/NJ/NY/MA and that makes the drive endless for those fans (aka me so not happening)

JMUNJ08
November 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM

We would be able to draw OK like Whitey said (15K or so) for a home game but we are only 45 minutes from what is a HUGE game in-state the same day and no its not ODU/Norfolk (3 hours) but UVA vs. Virginia Tech for the right to go to the ACC Championship game...I know too many alumni already heading in that direction for travel purposes (aka me again)

Bam
November 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Please, don't start drinking against until Friday, Bam.. Take Thanksgiving off! xlolx

Hell no my friend!! I have the Selection Show on a permenant loop at my crib with cold boxed wine ready to be poured at 1530 hrs today until 12 noon on Sat.

molly
November 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Some JMU fans posited a much more plausible theory for why the EKU game was chosen to be broadcast:

Given the terrible coverage ESPN gives the FCS, including an awful selection show; and
Given that ESPN is one of the biggest benefactors of the BCS/bowl system; and
Given that EKU is unlikely to sell out; and
Given that EKU's half-filled stadium will look very small-time on TV, giving casual football fans the impression that even the FCS playoffs don't attract fans,
ESPN chose the EKU/JMU game to broadcast to perpetuate the small-time image of FCS football, and keep people focused on the shiny BCS system.

They were joking about this theory, but it think it makes more sense than the convoluted argument put forth in this opinion piece.

I can't believe that those associated with this website are actually defending this opinion piece. We know that JMU put in a very low bid, that JMU's AD has said that they were outbid by EKU, and that he has apologized to JMU alumni and fans for putting in a low bid. We also know that a reasonable argument can be made for including EKU in the field instead of ISU.

If/when EKU's bid becomes public and it's higher than JMU's low bid, will you still stand by this nonsense? Or perhaps, several weeks ago ESPN convinced JMU to purposely low-ball their bid? Hmmm. I think we're seriously underestimating the lengths to which ESPN will go to ensure that EKU got in the playoffs and got a home game, so that they could send a production team to Richmond, KY on Thanksgiving weekend.

Bam
November 22nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Hell no my friend!! I have the Selection Show on a permenant loop at my crib with cold boxed wine ready to be poured at 1530 hrs today until 12 noon on Sat.

Sorry I have a DD driving me to the game, so I will take a 20 minute break from 0800 Am to 0820 AM Sat morning while going down 75 South (so my DD does not get pulled over). Then begin more decadence & debauchery at the AC parking lot about 0821 AM till game time. I will bring the apple pie moonshine if anyone dares join me!

TTUEagles
November 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Sorry I have a DD driving me to the game, so I will take a 20 minute break from 0800 Am to 0820 AM Sat morning while going down 75 South (so my DD does not get pulled over). Then begin more decadence & debauchery at the AC parking lot about 0821 AM till game time. I will bring the apple pie moonshine if anyone dares join me!

I will be taking in some sort of Kentucky bourbon to our game to honor our OVC brethren to the north for GOOD LUCK!

Bam
November 22nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
I will be taking in some sort of Kentucky bourbon to our game to honor our OVC brethren to the north for GOOD LUCK!

Good choice & good luck yourself.

EKUSteve
November 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM

Where do you park in the AC lot? The games I get to, we try to park in the row near the By-Pass and next to the Model field across from Keane.

EKUSteve
November 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Good choice & good luck yourself.

May have to have a mini of Jack available in honor of TTU.

TTUEagles
November 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
May have to have a mini of Jack available in honor of TTU.

Now we're talking. I'll buy you and Bam the first 4 rounds in Frisco come January!xlolx

DetroitFlyer
November 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM

My vote would be for Makers Mark!

kfkolonel
November 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Eagle. Let's get a couple wins for the OVC.

TTUEagles
November 22nd, 2011, 04:15 PM

I'll stick to Early Times...ha ha ha

Bam
November 22nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Where do you park in the AC lot? The games I get to, we try to park in the row near the By-Pass and next to the Model field across from Keane.

This year I worked a lot of saturday mornings so I would park near the cc area. My plans are to get there earlier this sat and soak it up. Who knows when this happens again my friend.

EKU Toss Sweep
November 22nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
This year I worked a lot of saturday mornings so I would park near the cc area. My plans are to get there earlier this sat and soak it up. Who knows when this happens again my friend.

When is it going to happen again? Are you kidding? 2012 my friend and each year thereafter. I'll see you in the CC lot on Saturday morning!

Bam
November 23rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
When is it going to happen again? Are you kidding? 2012 my friend and each year thereafter. I'll see you in the CC lot on Saturday morning!

I like the confidence & looking at the roster there will be alot of skill players returning next year.

EKUSteve
November 23rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
I like the confidence & looking at the roster there will be alot of skill players returning next year.

I thought we are only going to be losing 8 off of the two deep plus we'll have Harris back at WR next year to go with Goard.

boonegoon
November 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM

Four Roses

Bam
November 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
I thought we are only going to be losing 8 off of the two deep plus we'll have Harris back at WR next year to go with Goard.

Yes. Plenty of great players returning (if they stay healthy, stay in class & stay out of trouble). Hopefully get a out right title next year. I hate sharing anything!!!