PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Attendance Predictions

asumike83
November 21st, 2011, 11:17 AM
As we all know, attendance almost always decreases significantly in the playoffs. The most common explanations are the holiday season, short notice of the match-ups and winter weather.

ASU struggles with this as much, if not more, than anywhere. In reading the official release about the upcoming game vs. Maine, this stood out to me:

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205336297

Unlike past years, ASU students will be admitted to all postseason games at Kidd Brewer Stadium for FREE. Appalachian athletics will cover the costs to allow all ASU students to attend by simply presenting their student ID at the gate on gameday, just like the regular season. Student guest tickets cost $15 and will go on sale on Sunday, Nov. 27.

I hope that free attendance for the students will help us have a better showing for the postseason. We have been a different team at home all year and the players really feed off of the crowd energy.

Do any of the other host schools have any similar promotions (free admission to students, reduced price ticket packages, etc.) going on to try to fill the seats?

I do not expect anything like what we have become accustomed to in the regular season but I will make an extremely optimistic prediction for the attendance of the ASU vs. Maine 2nd round match-up in Boone, NC: 20,000

Post your attendance predictions here.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Actual or reported?

I think they'll be a big crowd for Towson vs Lehigh. Lehigh will travel very well.

biggie
November 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
Good to hear App students will be free this year. We may be able to get 20k there then, depends on weather probably.

TTUEagles
November 21st, 2011, 11:33 AM
Historically, TTU hasn't drawn well, period. This year has been better than most (avergaing over 9,000 in 5 games). But, students & faculty will be gone and for some reason - people will still be more interested in UT vs Kentucky that day (I assume)... I HOPE it's about 9,000 or more - but, fear 5,000. I hope UCA brings about 5,000.

TheDancinMonarch
November 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM
I'm going for 19,818 for Norfolk State-Old Dominion.

boonegoon
November 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
As we all know, attendance almost always decreases significantly in the playoffs. The most common explanations are the holiday season, short notice of the match-ups and winter weather.

ASU struggles with this as much, if not more, than anywhere. In reading the official release about the upcoming game vs. Maine, this stood out to me:

I hope that free attendance for the students will help us have a better showing for the postseason. We have been a different team at home all year and the players really feed off of the crowd energy.

Do any of the other host schools have any similar promotions (free admission to students, reduced price ticket packages, etc.) going on to try to fill the seats?

I do not expect anything like what we have become accustomed to in the regular season but I will make an extremely optimistic prediction for the attendance of the ASU vs. Maine 2nd round match-up in Boone, NC: 20,000

Good news in that it won't be Thanksgiving. That seems to be our biggest problem.

SeattleGriz
November 21st, 2011, 11:45 AM

Just saw that Montana is charging $26 for reserved, $5 for students and $10 for guest. I don't think this is to get the stadium filled as we tend to fill it up pretty good for playoffs. I predict 20,000 for our first game.

JMU_71
November 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
We'll have about 18-20K at Bridgefor.... Oh wait, nevermind.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'm going for 19,818 for Norfolk State-Old Dominion.
That would be incredibly impressive for the Saturday of Thanksgiving. Helps to have both squads playing in their hometown. I think a sellout will be tough to do but props to ODU if you can get there.

LehighGuy
November 21st, 2011, 12:37 PM
I was at the Lehigh ticket office this morning when they opened. Phones ringing off the hooks. Hopefully, Lehigh can muster up 3 or 4 thousand to make the trip.

JoshUCA
November 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Historically, TTU hasn't drawn well, period. This year has been better than most (avergaing over 9,000 in 5 games). But, students & faculty will be gone and for some reason - people will still be more interested in UT vs Kentucky that day (I assume)... I HOPE it's about 9,000 or more - but, fear 5,000. I hope UCA brings about 5,000.

I wish we would bring 5,000 too, but we will be lucky to bring anywhere near 600-700. We would be lucky to draw 5,000 if it was in Conway.

LehighU11
November 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
I was also at the Lehigh ticket office this morning. I inquired about the allotment for the game and was told that we're trying to get as large of one as we can, and the demand is expected to exceed last year's game at Delaware. It sounds like Unitas Stadium will be filled to capacity at 11,200 if we travel as well as last year. Expect the Marching 97 to make the trip down, as they did so at Delaware last year.

andy7171
November 21st, 2011, 12:55 PM
I was at the Lehigh ticket office this morning when they opened. Phones ringing off the hooks. Hopefully, Lehigh can muster up 3 or 4 thousand to make the trip.

If this is the case, expect a capacity crowd(11,198). Before the Delaware game the AD made it clear no one would be turned away and said there is room for 1000-1500 standing room only above the visitor and closed end concourse.

I can't believe we out bid you guys.

achrist70
November 21st, 2011, 01:10 PM
Having the bye will help our attendance a lot, we have never had that wonderful of a Thanksgiving weekend crowd other than in 07 when we were undefeated. That year we maybe had 7,000 I would hope for around 15,000

eagle07
November 21st, 2011, 01:14 PM
If the ASU@GSU game happens and my guess is it will, i believe we can have 20k+

TTUEagles
November 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM
I wish we would bring 5,000 too, but we will be lucky to bring anywhere near 600-700. We would be lucky to draw 5,000 if it was in Conway.

Well, then I don't feel so bad...I'm looking forward to start talking about this game. "We" are excited and hopeful...I think TTU wil have to play it's best game of the year to have a chance at this one...

McNeese72
November 21st, 2011, 01:22 PM
I predict that for every game, it will look like more people in the stands than what the reported number ends up being for that game. Always seems to work that way for some reason. ;)

Doc

Grizalltheway
November 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM
Just saw that Montana is charging $26 for reserved, $5 for students and $10 for guest. I don't think this is to get the stadium filled as we tend to fill it up pretty good for playoffs. I predict 20,000 for our first game.

Hunting season will be over and it isn't Thanksgiving weekend. Combine that with the fact that we had 0 playoff games last year, and I think it will be sold out, or close to it. xtwocentsx

SpeedkingATL
November 21st, 2011, 02:06 PM
I have spoken to many of the App faithful that I often hook up with when I drive up from Atlanta. None of them live in Boone but they are within 2 hours drive time and to my amazement most of them will miss the App vs Maine playoff game at The Rock because of prior committments. Guess I don't have much of a life because there are few things that would keep me from attending a playoff game at the Rock against a good CAA team. I just hope the turnout is better for the Maine game than it was for Nova last year which was very disapointing. If ever an App team needed the support, this 2011 edition is the one. I bet less than 20K but I hope I'm wrong.

biggie
November 21st, 2011, 02:10 PM
A lot of App fans plan things in Dec and take for granted that we will have multiple home playoff games, I have no clue why these days.

I too have no life outside of football on Saturdays.

boonegoon
November 21st, 2011, 02:11 PM
A lot of App fans plan things in Dec and take for granted that we will have multiple home playoff games, I have no clue why these days.

Me neither. Unfortunately, I have no money either.

URMite
November 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM

Actually that's a good idea. Sell tickets to watch a really big screen in Bridgeforth. Then present the proceeds to the AD and tell him to make a bid next time!

GoColonels!
November 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM
Honestly, with the students gone for the holiday and with UK-UT at the same time, we'll be lucky to have 5000 at Roy Kidd Stadium for EKU-JMU on Saturday.

tractorapp
November 21st, 2011, 02:52 PM
I have spoken to many of the App faithful that I often hook up with when I drive up from Atlanta. None of them live in Boone but they are within 2 hours drive time and to my amazement most of them will miss the App vs Maine playoff game at The Rock because of prior committments. Guess I don't have much of a life because there are few things that would keep me from attending a playoff game at the Rock against a good CAA team. I just hope the turnout is better for the Maine game than it was for Nova last year which was very disapointing. If ever an App team needed the support, this 2011 edition is the one. I bet less than 20K but I hope I'm wrong.

We bought our tickets last night, can't wait. Check you PM about sharing a ride up.

NDSUtmmkr
November 21st, 2011, 03:14 PM
As of 11am this morning there were fewer than 500 seats remaining for the Dec 3 2nd round game at the 19,500 seat Fargodome. Granted NDSU has over 10k season ticket holders who still need to claim theirs by sat. If not those seats come available to the gen pub Monday morning. According to the NDSU online ticket website. So fully expect a loud full-house.

Walkon79
November 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM
I think we can get 17,000 depending on the weather.

GaSouthern
November 21st, 2011, 05:07 PM
I expect the first GSU game to have about 20K and we will report about 14K

darell1976
November 21st, 2011, 05:10 PM
14,000 at the Fargodome for NDSU against the JMU/EKU winner.

Engineer86
November 21st, 2011, 05:13 PM
If this is the case, expect a capacity crowd(11,198). Before the Delaware game the AD made it clear no one would be turned away and said there is room for 1000-1500 standing room only above the visitor and closed end concourse.

I can't believe we out bid you guys.

Yea, pretty weak showing from Lehigh. I expected to be going to Towson, but that was assuming you would be seeded.

Griz4ever
November 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM
Wow....we have more people go to the bathroom at halftime then some of you will have at the game...Sad.. We will break 20k for first game then sell out as long as we host.

Mountaineer#96
November 21st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Me neither. Unfortunately, I have no money either.

As an dual-alum family both with well paying jobs, I would buy you a ticket if that helps get you there. PM me if that sparks your interest, call it a Christmas present.

Squealofthepig
November 21st, 2011, 07:24 PM
Wow....we have more people go to the bathroom at halftime then some of you will have at the game...

Yes. "Bathroom." :)

AppStsGr8
November 21st, 2011, 07:28 PM

Wait! There's something other than football?!?!?!

I do hope we'll have a good crowd for the game with Maine. I'm glad the athletic department is picking up the tab for the students this year. See you at The Rock!

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2011, 07:36 PM
14,000 at the Fargodome for NDSU against the JMU/EKU winner.
The only thing that has a chance to be that low is the reported attendance. I think actual attendance will be more like 18K and it'll only be that low if the students don't pick up their allotment. I'd expect hardly an empty seat outside of the student section for the first game at least.

UNIFanSince1983
November 21st, 2011, 07:40 PM
Having the bye will help our attendance a lot, we have never had that wonderful of a Thanksgiving weekend crowd other than in 07 when we were undefeated. That year we maybe had 7,000 I would hope for around 15,000

I don't know if you meant to say "last year" instead of "that year". Because in 2007 when we were undefeated we had almost 17k. Last year we had a reported crowd of just under 6k, and it seemed like just about that many.

This year I think we do alright since the students will be back. I think around 12 to 13 is about what we will get.

katstrapper
November 21st, 2011, 07:56 PM
I expect a large crowd at Bowers on the 3rd. Just heard that all reserved seating is sold out. I look for overflow crowd. Bowers seats 14k, but they can sit people in the grassy areas in each corner of the stadium.

The only thing I could see holding some of the crowd back is the Texas High School playoffs that are in full swing right now. High School football in Texas is King!! I went to my alma maters playoff game last Friday night and there was close to 13,000 there.

Griz4ever
November 21st, 2011, 07:58 PM
I expect a large crowd at Bowers on the 3rd. Just heard that all reserved seating is sold out. I look for overflow crowd. Bowers seats 14k, but they can sit people in the grassy areas in each corner of the stadium.

The only thing I could see holding some of the crowd back is the Texas High School playoffs that are in full swing right now. High School football in Texas is King!! I went to my alma maters playoff game last Friday night and there was close to 13,000 there.

I have heard that about your high schools that would be crazy to see..

Ronbo
November 21st, 2011, 09:11 PM

No way. Other than Thanksgiving games the Griz pack the stadium for playoff games. Also it's not on TV. 26,000 plus.

FIDO-GATA
November 21st, 2011, 09:21 PM
If we get App in quarters I say 23K+.

darell1976
November 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM
The only thing that has a chance to be that low is the reported attendance. I think actual attendance will be more like 18K and it'll only be that low if the students don't pick up their allotment. I'd expect hardly an empty seat outside of the student section for the first game at least.

12,000 for NDSU/RMU was bad for their first ever playoff game in the dome, hopefully people will show unless there is an unexpected blizzard that shuts the roads down.

Tatanka
November 21st, 2011, 10:31 PM
12,000 for NDSU/RMU was bad for their first ever playoff game in the dome, hopefully people will show unless there is an unexpected blizzard that shuts the roads down.

A UND fan dogging NDSU football home attendance. That's rich.

Grizzaholic
November 21st, 2011, 11:29 PM

I sure hope you do.xthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
November 21st, 2011, 11:34 PM
Perhaps I am in the minority but I don't see this sell out stuff for the Griz/UCA-Tenn. Tech game. I know there is 2 weeks to plan and get tickets and whatnot. I know hunting season will be over with and there were ZERO playoff games for the Griz last year and there will be no TV, as of yet, for the game. But come on folks. These Cat/Griz predictions for ticket sales are asinine.

26,000 +...Really????

Maybe, and I think this might be over the top... 19,600. That is if weather is not terrible.

Call me a hater.

This is people in the stadium..not no ticket sales BS.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2011, 11:36 PM
Last year there was only one week to buy tickets for that game and it was a short week with Thanksgiving. This year there are two weeks, school is in session, no holiday weekend, and the team is better with higher attendance numbers all year to boot. The house will be packed.

Grizzaholic
November 21st, 2011, 11:39 PM
Last year there was only one week to buy tickets for that game and it was a short week with Thanksgiving. This year there are two weeks, school is in session, no holiday weekend, and the team is better with higher attendance numbers all year to boot. The house will be packed.

How many will just be there for the tailgating...20K..30K? Lakes we need an early estmate.

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
How many will just be there for the tailgating...20K..30K? Lakes we need an early estmate.
I'm not the one boasting about some fictional 20K attendance. I'm merely saying that 18K will be the low end and that's only if the student section doesn't get filled. Right now there are already less than 100 reserved seats left and only about 600 GA left. That reserved number will go up on Monday when they release the unclaimed season tickets but I'd expect those to all be taken by gameday.

ngineer
November 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
Actual or reported?

I think they'll be a big crowd for Towson vs Lehigh. Lehigh will travel very well.

Yes, I would expect a sellout at 11,000 seat Unitas Stadium.

ODUsmitty
November 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
ODU just announced a sellout for its game v. NSU (19818)

GaSouthern
November 22nd, 2011, 11:42 AM

Great News!

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 11:44 AM

Damn impressive. Good job!

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
Wow! On Tuesday already, only 48 hours after the pairings were announced. Great job!

BisonBacker
November 22nd, 2011, 11:46 AM

A UND fan dogging NDSU football home attendance. That's rich.

^^^^This^^^^^

BisonBacker
November 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
It will be full I'm sure....19K plus

JMUNJ08
November 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Honestly, with the students gone for the holiday and with UK-UT at the same time, we'll be lucky to have 5000 at Roy Kidd Stadium for EKU-JMU on Saturday.

The thing that hurts as well is that even though JMU is 'driving distance' to EKU, its not in the schools footprint. A game in the northeast (aka Lehigh or Stony Brook for this year) would get a B-I-G JMU support traveling group I feel with more alumni along the East Coast. Kentucky is going the wrong way. I see a small crowd overall for this too (but expect JMU fans to be having the most fun/vocal)

Myself outside of NYC, its a 12 hour trip = No go (especially with UVA/Tech tickets) Bridgeforth would have given up my seats but it wasn't in the cards (NDSU would be interesting though...)

JMUNJ08
November 22nd, 2011, 12:56 PM

Not surprised. Are they the only FCS team with a WAITING LIST for season tickets? They have had 3 straight years of sell outs so a local game in the Tidewater area should be gone by about now...

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Not surprised. Are they the only FCS team with a WAITING LIST for season tickets? They have had 3 straight years of sell outs so a local game in the Tidewater area should be gone by about now...

Congratulations to Old Dominion and Norfolk State for supporting their game!!!! Love that they have a sell out!

I might be wrong, but I believe the University of Montana still has a waiting list for season tickets. That said, I seriously doubt Montana will have a sell out (26,000) for it's first game. Though I expect there will be 20,000 plus in attendance.

Grizzaholic
November 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'm not the one boasting about some fictional 20K attendance. I'm merely saying that 18K will be the low end and that's only if the student section doesn't get filled. Right now there are already less than 100 reserved seats left and only about 600 GA left. That reserved number will go up on Monday when they release the unclaimed season tickets but I'd expect those to all be taken by gameday.

Is your name Lakes? Pretty sure I didn't call you out. You seem like a decent poster, don't let the sand in your vagina get too bad because then you will become JBB and lakes.

Bam
November 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM

Hope your wrong. Alot of my employees are EKU students/graduates & the school sent out a mass e-mail to the students saying that the RA's will have dorms opened. Let's get those crazy kids out there!

Hammerhead
November 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
The NDSU / MSU playoff game last year was sold out with plenty of Bison fans making the trek across I-94/I-90 and via charted flight from MSP and FAR. Game time temps were in the teens and we recorded -7°F driving between Butte and Bozeman the morning of the game.

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
I think an (imaginary) first round NDSU game would be poorly attended (for reasons others have pointed out), but I think this year's second-round game will fill up the Dome. Last year, they had 12,000 in a first-round game, and very few teams have been able to post that type of support in the past for Thanksgiving Weekend.

TheBisonator
November 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'm thinking 18,500 for our game vs. JMU/EKU. Either there will be some no-shows or some of the tix will go unsold.

Grizzlies82
November 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
The NDSU / MSU playoff game last year was sold out with plenty of Bison fans making the trek across I-94/I-90 and via charted flight from MSP and FAR. Game time temps were in the teens and we recorded -7°F driving between Butte and Bozeman the morning of the game.

Is this an opening for a North Dakota joke, or a cry for a AAA membership?
(West) Butte <<<< Bozeman <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< North Dakota (East).

gotts
November 22nd, 2011, 04:02 PM

He might not live in ND and be travelling from the west, you know...

kfkolonel
November 22nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
LOL. If you will bring 10K JMU fans, we can have a big time. C'mon over. Easy drive. One mile from I-75. Close, free parking. Wild tailgating if the students were here, but . . ..

Bobcat in NC
November 23rd, 2011, 09:25 AM

Wrong! 17,007 xlolx

xsmiley_wix

Hammerhead
November 23rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
We live in Oregon. Not all NDSU fans live in N.D./Minn. :)

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 04:24 PM
I was also at the Lehigh ticket office this morning. I inquired about the allotment for the game and was told that we're trying to get as large of one as we can, and the demand is expected to exceed last year's game at Delaware. It sounds like Unitas Stadium will be filled to capacity at 11,200 if we travel as well as last year. Expect the Marching 97 to make the trip down, as they did so at Delaware last year.

Great news! They bring a lot of energy to the table. They have also become a much improved band, especially considering it is entirely student run.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2011, 04:26 PM

More impressive considering the holiday weekend.

GABison
November 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
I think an (imaginary) first round NDSU game would be poorly attended (for reasons others have pointed out), but I think this year's second-round game will fill up the Dome. Last year, they had 12,000 in a first-round game, and very few teams have been able to post that type of support in the past for Thanksgiving Weekend.

If I remember right, we were tops in attendance for FCS that weekend and it was loud!!!

GridCaptain
November 24th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Playoff crowds are about 80% of regular season as students have to pay.