PDA

View Full Version : Legit Shot Group - Toughest Path of that group

Go Apps
November 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM
Legit Chance -

SAm Houston (how good are they)
GSU (can anyone stop the option)
NDSU (closer games down the stretch makes them vulnerable)
Montana (all of a sudden they look great)
UNI (always solid could this be the year they win it all)
Towson (worst to first, but with no playoff exp I think they will lose)
ASU (a two personality team - capable YES of both losing and wining - which team shows up? and they struggle on the road - statesboro seems like an impossible trip)

Toughest Path
ASU - Maine, on road at GSU, NDSU, final against SHSt/Mont/UNI

or

Towson - Lehigh, NDSU, GSU/ASU, final against SHSt/Mont/UNI

Bottom half of the bracket is brutal seems to be a very wide open field - I also like Lehigh as a sleeper

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2011, 10:56 AM
Bottom bracket is much tougher.

WrenFGun
November 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
Legit Chance -

ASU (a two personality team - capable YES of both losing and wining - which team shows up? and they struggle on the road - statesboro seems like an impossible trip)

Toughest Path

or

Bottom half of the bracket is brutal seems to be a very wide open field - I also like Lehigh as a sleeper

Weird. I expect Montana State/UNH to beat Sam Houston. They haven't played anyone the caliber of either of those teams in FCS this season. Whoever wins that game would be in the final four, so I think they'd have a legit shot.

Cleets
November 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Agreed - bottom bracket is indeed deeper (tougher)
Even the Week one first round teams are tough in the bottom bracket

(just my 2 cents)

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM
I don't see any mention of Wofford in this thread as a contender or pretender?

Go Apps
November 21st, 2011, 11:27 AM

Hey being a fan of ASU and the Socon - I am hoping you prove me wrong but Wofford has not played as well of late and I think they will have a hard time with UNI - hoping you prove all of us wrong

THE HERD
November 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM
I like the Griz's chances to make it to the final. They are playing really good right now and I like that side of the bracket.

eagle07
November 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM
I say wofford drops uni

JmuSkinsfan
November 21st, 2011, 11:30 AM
Not saying JMU is necessarily a title contender ... but they are 5-0 against FCS competition with Justin Thorpe at QB and a totally different team. JMU can shut teams down and run all over them and control the clock. Should be favored to get past EKU and then should give NDSU a run for their money. If JMU can get past NDSU ... look out

Last year twi 7-4 teams made the semis (Georgia Southern and Villanova) ... don't see why it couldn't happen again .. and JMU is the best 7-4 team in the field.

boonegoon
November 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
New Hampshire has a tough challenge. 2 trips to Montana in 2 weeks if they win. Do they stay?

FCSbuff319
November 21st, 2011, 11:47 AM

I like Wofford's chances against UNI as that triple option would be lethal indoors. I doubt UNI has faced any speed running teams as they play in the traditional power run MVFC. Montana is not the same power run team anymore, so I could see them being able to adjust to an option better than in the past. Cal Poly always ran some sort of an option attack, so they do still get to see something along those lines.

I know they're the number one seed, but Sam Houston is a team I could see sneaking through the bracket. Most everyone on this board is either from the Southland conference or they think Sam is very overrated. Their turnover margin is extremely impressive. Although, a Stony Brook matchup could be very interesting. Their run attack looks rather dominant, and they have won 8 straight games.

Maine has the best chance to prove the CAA as the dominant conference by taking down two SoCon powerhouses. They haven't seemed to have a poor game yet this season, and they're coming off a loss. Towson has a crazy tough matchup bracket. If they win their first game against pass happy high scoring Lehigh, they would likely face power run defense minded NDSU, and then quite possibly an option attack out of Georgia Southern. It'll be interesting to see if West continues his scoring prowess. How do his touchdown stats compare to I think Omar Cuff the year Delaware finished second to App. St.?

It's setting up to be a crazy run with a lot of teams that could come out of this thing alive.

Go Apps
November 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
New Hampshire has a tough challenge. 2 trips to Montana in 2 weeks if they win. Do they stay?

I think they stay and find a place to practice...

RichH2
November 21st, 2011, 12:07 PM
Bottom brackets definitely tougher but more interesting. Love and dread LU-Towson matchup.Expect a similar kind of score as LU-UNH and UNH-towson. Cousre hope for a better result for lehigh

Go Apps
November 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM
I like Wofford's chances against UNI as that triple option would be lethal indoors. I doubt UNI has faced any speed running teams as they play in the traditional power run MVFC. Montana is not the same power run team anymore, so I could see them being able to adjust to an option better than in the past. Cal Poly always ran some sort of an option attack, so they do still get to see something along those lines.

I know they're the number one seed, but Sam Houston is a team I could see sneaking through the bracket. Most everyone on this board is either from the Southland conference or they think Sam is very overrated. Their turnover margin is extremely impressive. Although, a Stony Brook matchup could be very interesting. Their run attack looks rather dominant, and they have won 8 straight games.

Maine has the best chance to prove the CAA as the dominant conference by taking down two SoCon powerhouses. They haven't seemed to have a poor game yet this season, and they're coming off a loss. Towson has a crazy tough matchup bracket. If they win their first game against pass happy high scoring Lehigh, they would likely face power run defense minded NDSU, and then quite possibly an option attack out of Georgia Southern. It'll be interesting to see if West continues his scoring prowess. How do his touchdown stats compare to I think Omar Cuff the year Delaware finished second to App. St.?

It's setting up to be a crazy run with a lot of teams that could come out of this thing alive.

Hey Maine has beat us before in Boone in the playoffs they scare me!

MTfan4life
November 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM

Sorry, that's false. New Hampshire travels to Montana St in round two, and if they win they'd play the winner of Sam Houston vs. the play-in winner. There'd be no use staying if they have to go to Texas or somewhere back near home. The potential Montana matchup would be their third game.

AppStsGr8
November 21st, 2011, 02:02 PM
I realize Maine lost to Towson and UNH. Depending on which App team shows up, Maine could very well walk away with the win. If ... such a large word to be only two letters ... the best App team shows up, the Mountaineers will be fine at home.

boonegoon
November 21st, 2011, 02:03 PM
Sorry, that's false. New Hampshire travels to Montana St in round two, and if they win they'd play the winner of Sam Houston vs. the play-in winner. There'd be no use staying if they have to go to Texas or somewhere back near home. The potential Montana matchup would be their third game.

That makes it even worse. Talk about road weary.

344Johnson
November 21st, 2011, 02:06 PM
This year seems more wide-open than last year or is it just me? No team has truly dominated the way I thought some team would.

boonegoon
November 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
I realize Maine lost to Towson and UNH. Depending on which App team shows up, Maine could very well walk away with the win. If ... such a large word to be only two letters ... the best App team shows up, the Mountaineers will be fine at home.

Looking at the stats, we match up about the same. The good news is that they aren't particularly stout against the run since our running game has been abysmal of late. Even though our run against numbers are pretty close, I give the nod to App due to the 800 games we played against triple option teams. That being said, anything can happen. Can't wait. 2 weeks??!!

URMite
November 21st, 2011, 02:09 PM
Legit Chance -

Toughest Path

or

Why don't you think MSU has a legit chance?

BisonLakes
November 21st, 2011, 02:16 PM
Why don't you think MSU has a legit chance?

If they can't beat Montana at home then who in this field can they beat?

344Johnson
November 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM

Football is a game of matchups. Maybe Montana State doesn't matchup well against Montana...but would do really well against a team who knocks Montana out of the playoffs.

Catbooster
November 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM

Kinda like if you can't beat YSU at home, who in this field can the Bison beat? xsmiley_wix

Seriously, after last week I don't think we deserve to be in anyone's favorites list, but I still think MSU can potentially do well in the playoffs. We'll have to earn that respect by winning games.

I'm eager to see how the team responds to the loss to the Griz, especially since we were dominated. I think they will respond well and it will renew their focus, but xdontknowx

Grizzaholic
November 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
Kinda like if you can't beat YSU at home, who in this field can the Bison beat? xsmiley_wix

Seriously, after last week I don't think we deserve to be in anyone's favorites list, but I still think MSU can potentially do well in the playoffs. We'll have to earn that respect by winning games.

I'm eager to see how the team responds to the loss to the Griz, especially since we were dominated. I think they will respond well and it will renew their focus, but xdontknowx

You are still in my favorites list....and by favorites list I mean to win the Chipper.

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2011, 03:37 PM

I think Wofford will be tough for any non-SoCon team. Nobody in the country has the experience against the triple option like the SoCon, and it's diabolical.

Walkon79
November 21st, 2011, 04:00 PM
My "real" favorites list is pretty short,

UM (Playing really well the past three weeks)
NDSU (Conference champs in what is arguably the toughest conference in 2011)
GSU (Ditto)

ngineer
November 21st, 2011, 10:04 PM
Not saying JMU is necessarily a title contender ... but they are 5-0 against FCS competition with Justin Thorpe at QB and a totally different team. JMU can shut teams down and run all over them and control the clock. Should be favored to get past EKU and then should give NDSU a run for their money. If JMU can get past NDSU ... look out

Last year twi 7-4 teams made the semis (Georgia Southern and Villanova) ... don't see why it couldn't happen again .. and JMU is the best 7-4 team in the field.

I'm expecting a rematch of our exciting 2004 game!