PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Robinson Award Finalists Named

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
Successful coaches on Eddie Robinson Award ballot

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Coaches who combined for 14 conference championships this season are among the 20 finalists announced Monday for the 25th Eddie Robinson Award, which honors the national coach of the year in the Football Championship Subdivision.

The winner of the Robinson Award, presented by The Sports Network and sponsored by Fathead.com, will be announced at the national awards banquet on Friday, Jan. 6 in Frisco, Texas - the night before the national championship game.

A panel of over 150 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries will select the Robinson Award winner.

Voting will reflect only the regular season. The FCS playoffs begin Saturday.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4452231

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2011, 10:43 AM
I'm going to guess that Fritz, Ambrose, or Wilder wins it.

kdinva
November 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'd pick from Ambrose, K. Kelly, or Adrian.

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
If I had to guess... these are my three favorites with Ambrose considered the favorite to win in my opinion... to exclude Ambrose and Fritz from anyone's final three is absolute joke considering neither team was expected to do something.. and each did remarkable things.

Norfolk State's story is exceptional, but figure Adrian may get lost in the mix...

Pete Adrian, Norfolk State - Adrian led the Spartans to a 9-2 regular-season record and their first outright Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference championship as well as their first FCS playoff bid. The Spartans were picked fifth in the MEAC's preseason poll.

Rob Ambrose, Towson - After finishing 3-19 in his first two seasons at Towson, Ambrose led the Tigers to a 9-2 record and their first CAA Football title and FCS playoff bid. The Tigers were picked last in the CAA's preseason poll.

Willie Fritz, Sam Houston State - The Bearkats were the only unbeaten FCS team in the regular season, finishing 11-0 with a win over FBS New Mexico. In Fritz's second season, the Southland Conference champions are ranked No. 1 heading into the playoffs, where they are the top seed.

smallcollegefbfan
November 21st, 2011, 11:05 AM
I personally believe Fritz will and should win it. SHSU was not a preseason top 25 team who led them to a 11-0 record and the No. 1 ranking.

asumike83
November 21st, 2011, 11:09 AM
I think Towson, Old Dominion and Sam Houston State were the best stories this year and all of their coaches deserve recognition and would be my top three.

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM
I personally believe Fritz will and should win it. SHSU was not a preseason top 25 team who led them to a 11-0 record and the No. 1 ranking.

Wow... surprised you are pulling for SHSU. ;)

Do think the Towson story may be too much to pass up, but many outside of the CAA may be more than willing to back the team that is No. 1 in the country and is not familiar to some of the folks around the country...

M Ruler
November 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM
The guy who turned Georgetown around should get it. they have been a doormat for years with limited facilities. The guy from Towson is deserving also.

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
The guy who turned Georgetown around should get it. they have been a doormat for years with limited facilities. The guy from Towson is deserving also.

Georgetown did not get in the playoffs and lost their biggest game of the season. Doubt the guy is on the radar and not even biggest story in VA/MD area... and Towson has been dormant for years as well and won their big game(s)... while upstart ODU even got some more national attention in light of their new program successful in the CAA...

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 21st, 2011, 12:32 PM
I would want to see how the CAA does in the playoffs before I decide between Ambrose and Fritz. If all 5 CAA teams are eliminated in the first 2 rounds of playoffs, I'd give it to Fritz. But if the CAA gives a good showing I'd go with Ambrose. I'm not convinced that part of Towson's turnaround is that the CAA is just down this year. Towson was waxed by a very bad Maryland team.