PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article on Penn's Kyle Ambrogi..

Pard4Life
May 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Went to their homepage and was surprised to see this be the banner topic considering the time frame. Here is the link...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=ambrogi

Just finished reading it.. very in depth and emotional. It's one of those articles that just makes you stop and think sometimes.

Go...gate
May 18th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Ambrogi's death was so sad; he sounded like a good guy, a good son, a good student. The whole thing speaks volumes about Clinical Depression. He seemed ashamed of it and probably lost his life as a result. : smh :

Lehigh Football Nation
May 18th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Great duo of articles - as others have mentioned, very in-depth, filled with pictures and analysis.

This past season I went to the Penn/Yale game, two weeks after his death and the first home game after the tragedy:

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=73580

There’s a bit of an early pall over the fans as we enter. This could be due to the fact that two weeks ago, tragedy struck the Penn football team. Senior RB Kyle Ambrogi inexplicably took his own life a few hours after rushing for 18 yards and a couple of touchdowns against Bucknell.

This past week, the entire Penn football family has been attending wakes and burying a teammate. As we come into the stadium and get to the press box, there is a moment of deafening silence for Kyle. Once it’s over and the final bars of our national anthem are played, I open the Penn program and you can’t miss Kyle’s smiling face in the line of Penn players. It’s impossible to comprehend, and although it’s pointless, you can’t help asking yourself “why?”

With any sort of luck, Penn fans will be able to sit back and have some fun after an emotional couple of weeks. "For those three-and-a-half hours on Saturdays it's pretty much the only time we get away from this kind of stuff," senior LB Ric San Doval said in an earlier interview.

A pretty telling quote, especially considering how it affected the team the rest of the year (four straight losses). You wish that Kyle could have seen into the future, read these articles, seen the effect he had on people...

Go...gate
May 18th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Agreed. I saw the Penn-Princeton game at Franklin Field a couple weeks after that Yale game. Penn was not their usually intense selves and Princeton won easily.

blukeys
May 18th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Textbook case of Depression. This guy gave the classic warning signs and it is a shame that his fellow students were not well versed enough to see the danger he was in. (Not blaming the students they certainly were not equipped to help)

It is also a shame that the pharmacist who filled his prescription or the doctor who prescribed his medication did not inform him that the medication takes 3 to 4 weeks before a change can be noticed.

Estimates are that 10% of the population has this disorder and it is one of the more treatable forms of mental illness. Sadly, It is also one of the most deadly.

UNH 40
May 18th, 2006, 08:16 PM
What a sad story about what sound like a terrific young man. It is to bad that there is not a cure for this terrible disease. My heart goes out to his family and friends, as well as all those who suffer from depression that haunts them on a daily basis.

blukeys
May 18th, 2006, 09:22 PM
What a sad story about what sound like a terrific young man. It is to bad that there is not a cure for this terrible disease. My heart goes out to his family and friends, as well as all those who suffer from depression that haunts them on a daily basis.

There is treatment and if one gets it they can lead great lives. Learn the symptoms. You already know someone who has this illness as it is very common. If you find someone who is affected get them to professionals regardless of cost and don't take any excuses. Those who suffer from depression are great actors until the end. This young man had the illness before he started expressing the suicidal ideation. One of the best books I read on depressed individuals was "Listening to Prozac" The guy was totally on target about the personality traits of depresion sufferers.

Cap'n Cat
May 19th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah, you guys are right. Sad deal. : smh :

But, did you see the glands on his gal pal???

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/0516/ambrogi01.jpg

LacesOut
May 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Very sad. Choked up reading it and thinking about what his friends and family and what he was going through.

He chose death........over life.

bonarae
May 20th, 2006, 05:49 AM
I was surprised by this news. A very sad story.