PDA

View Full Version : Question for CAA fans

THE HERD
November 21st, 2011, 09:06 AM
As a Bison fan I would like to hear everyones opinion on JMU, since most likely they will beat the second place team from the OVC and be coming to Fargo in a couple weeks. I have heard JMU lost their starting qb for part of the season and have not lost when he was playing, is this true? Also is thier qb that good that he made that much of a difference? Other questions would be style of football....have heard they like to run and play smashmouth. Also whats your opinion on the strength of the CAA this year as compared to others? Thanks in advance for the info.

GannonFan
November 21st, 2011, 09:11 AM
CAA was down this year - still good from top to bottom, but just didn't have the one or two dominant teams at the top that we've had maybe the past 5-7 years. With that said, I still expect all to do well in the playoffs.

As for JMU, they don't surprise anyone on offense - very much a belly-read option offense. Thorpe is quick and he's the guy who missed 5 games after he tested positive for marijuana. If you can't stop the run, JMU will have a field day. And they play very good defense. They haven't been as good as advertised this year as they were supposed to be lights out defensively, but I'm sure they can step it up.

Thing is, outside of their title year in '04 and Rodney Lander's senior year in '08, JMU hasn't won a playoff game in any other Mickey Matthews career - I think they do so this year since they get EKU in the first round (assuming they don't completely overlook that game or spend too much time whining about not hosting) but I think they'll have a hard time in Fargo.

SpeedkingATL
November 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
CAA was down this year - still good from top to bottom, but just didn't have the one or two dominant teams at the top that we've had maybe the past 5-7 years. With that said, I still expect all to do well in the playoffs.

As for JMU, they don't surprise anyone on offense - very much a belly-read option offense. Thorpe is quick and he's the guy who missed 5 games after he tested positive for marijuana. If you can't stop the run, JMU will have a field day. And they play very good defense. They haven't been as good as advertised this year as they were supposed to be lights out defensively, but I'm sure they can step it up.

Thing is, outside of their title year in '04 and Rodney Lander's senior year in '08, JMU hasn't won a playoff game in any other Mickey Matthews career - I think they do so this year since they get EKU in the first round (assuming they don't completely overlook that game or spend too much time whining about not hosting) but I think they'll have a hard time in Fargo.

So Thorpe obviously plays better "on grass" than artificial turf???

JMU2004
November 21st, 2011, 09:19 AM
So Thorpe obviously plays better "on grass" than artificial turf???

I lol'd...

whitey
November 21st, 2011, 09:27 AM
Zing!

GannonFan has it right. JMU was 5-1 with Thorpe at QB (only loss to UNC) and 2-3 with backup So QB Edwards at the helm. Our defense has been very good all year and especially good at stopping the run. Our pass defense has been suspect at times but has improved as the season progressed. Our offense has three plays: run right, run left and run up the middle. It works for us.

Nobody from JMU Athletics is whining about not hosting. It's business as usual in Harrisonburg and Mickey is getting the team ready to play @ EKU Saturday. We got outbid and everyone knows it. The AD submitted a written apology to the fans last night who are rightly frustrated for not playing at home this weekend after coming out strong all year to the new stadium.

superman7515
November 21st, 2011, 09:31 AM
Also whats your opinion on the strength of the CAA this year as compared to others?

18-2 in non-conference play against other FCS teams. Even the last place team who didn't win a single game against CAA competition beat a BCS team.

THE HERD
November 21st, 2011, 09:45 AM

Generally we have been good against the run, but the last two games we were without one of our best D tackles due to a MCL sprain and I think it really showed. He is suppose to be back for the playoffs though. Overall we are fairly dinged up, so we really need this bye week.....two of our starting O-lineman went down last game and have not heard what thier prognosis is. We were definitely a lot healthier going into the playoffs last year than this year.

GannonFan
November 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM
Zing!

GannonFan has it right. JMU was 5-1 with Thorpe at QB (only loss to UNC) and 2-3 with backup So QB Edwards at the helm. Our defense has been very good all year and especially good at stopping the run. Our pass defense has been suspect at times but has improved as the season progressed. Our offense has three plays: run right, run left and run up the middle. It works for us.

Nobody from JMU Athletics is whining about not hosting. It's business as usual in Harrisonburg and Mickey is getting the team ready to play @ EKU Saturday. We got outbid and everyone knows it. The AD submitted a written apology to the fans last night who are rightly frustrated for not playing at home this weekend after coming out strong all year to the new stadium.

Yeah, just don't pull a UMass circa '03 when they complained all week about having to travel to play Colgate and then forgot to show up when it was time to play.

Brad82
November 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM
JMU could could beat at least 4-6 teams in these play-offs.

JMU2004
November 21st, 2011, 10:06 AM
JMU could could beat at least 4-6 teams in these play-offs.

We're getting healthy and playing our best ball right now. IF we get by EKU(no sure thing at all), NDSU will be tough at home...going to take our best game in years.

andy7171
November 21st, 2011, 10:11 AM
If NDSU takes care of JMU and Towson takes care of Lehigh, a repeat of the 1983 D.II playoff game will be played! REVENGE for the Tigers!?!

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2011, 10:12 AM
NDSU has struggled very much the last 2 games to stop the run, that'll have to get shored up in a hurry against whoever we end up playing. I don't know if losing the starting DT Drevlow was that much of a hit but the run D looked good against UNI and ISUb before getting steamrolled by YSU and gashed again last week by WIU. Drevlow should be back for the first playoff game so that's a plus. NDSU can hopefully use the bye week to get healed up a bit as there are a lot of guys dinged or just flat out injured who are looking to come back for this game as I'm sure is the case with everyone this time of year.

LakesBison
November 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM
James Madison wont know what hit them at the fargodome with 20,000+ 108decibal fans and DJ & Sam running it down thier throats.

JMU2004
November 21st, 2011, 11:32 AM
James Madison wont know what hit them at the fargodome with 20,000+ 108decibal fans and DJ & Sam running it down thier throats.

Perhaps....we have played well in hostile environments before (VT being one of the loudest stadiums in the nation). We seem to play better in tough environments than we do in the crappy venues.

mainejeff
November 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM
This will sound silly to some but JMU is my darkhorse to win it all! If they get by NDSU.......watch out!!!

andy7171
November 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM
This will sound silly to some but JMU is my darkhorse to win it all! If they get by NDSU.......watch out!!!

If JMU wins at NDSU(assuming the win at EKU) Does their AD ***** the bed with hosting bids and have to travel up to Towson?

StrikeJMU
November 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM

I like this mainejeff guy.

DJKyR0
November 21st, 2011, 11:42 AM
NDSU has struggled very much the last 2 games to stop the run, that'll have to get shored up in a hurry against whoever we end up playing. I don't know if losing the starting DT Drevlow was that much of a hit but the run D looked good against UNI and ISUb before getting steamrolled by YSU and gashed again last week by WIU. Drevlow should be back for the first playoff game so that's a plus. NDSU can hopefully use the bye week to get healed up a bit as there are a lot of guys dinged or just flat out injured who are looking to come back for this game as I'm sure is the case with everyone this time of year.

I think Drevlow was more integral to our run defense than we initially gave him credit for, and from the sound of it he'll be back in time for the game (having been pretty much ready to go but ultimately not making it to WIU). A week of rest should help.

Wildcat80
November 21st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Zing!

Very surprising not hosting in 1st round!! What did JMU build it for??

superman7515
November 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM

They built it for the FBS and there are no playoffs there, so the AD is just trying to get them used to the idea of going on the road for any games after the regular season. Not sure why any JMU fan would be upset, that's very forward thinking, haha.

344Johnson
November 21st, 2011, 11:50 AM

Lakes....hate to break it to you but we won't have 20,000+ in there, we don't have that much seating, you know this. So don't go claiming we are going to do something that simply isn't going to happen...it'll probably be in the 17,000-18,000 range. It will be loud in there though, one of the best parts about playing in a dome...18-19,000 people can make the same volume of noise that an outdoor stadium would require a lot more people for.

Very excited about playing a team of JMU's name recognition in the dome. We haven't really had the opportunity since moving up to FCS to host any big name schools outside of UNI. The possibility of hosting JMU and Georgia Southern/Appy in a potential playoff run is really exciting for NDSU fans.

JMU_71
November 21st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Hey, I think it is pretty cool that JMU has the opportunity to play a game west of the Mississippi. It would only be our second in school history. The only other game we played west of the Mississippi was a regular season game against McNeese in 1997. Hard to believe, but as far as i know a true statement. I know y'all play in a dome, but too bad Fargo doesn't share the same climate as Lake Charles.

EKUSteve
November 21st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Ah, the FCS playoffs, with EKU playing the part of Rodney Dangerfield....

I can't get no respect at all!

EKUSteve
November 21st, 2011, 12:36 PM
Perhaps....we have played well in hostile environments before (VT being one of the loudest stadiums in the nation). We seem to play better in tough environments than we do in the crappy venues.

So you are saying EKU has a chance then??? :-)

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2011, 12:43 PM
I think Drevlow was more integral to our run defense than we initially gave him credit for, and from the sound of it he'll be back in time for the game (having been pretty much ready to go but ultimately not making it to WIU). A week of rest should help.
I hope you're right. The run D will have to improve dramatically from their showing the last 2 weeks if the Bison are going to make significant noise in the playoffs.

BisonLakes
November 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM

Streamers.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM
Let's focus on EKU.

Go Dukes

Rob Iola
November 21st, 2011, 04:08 PM
So JMU Dad, do you have any insights into the Duke's mindset? Is the team solidly behind Thorpe?

darell1976
November 21st, 2011, 04:13 PM

You couldn't get 20,000 or even 19,000 against UNI. JMU is no St. Francis.

THE HERD
November 21st, 2011, 04:18 PM
You couldn't get 20,000 or even 19,000 against UNI. JMU is no St. Francis.

Darrel you really want to get in a pissing match about attendence??

darell1976
November 21st, 2011, 04:26 PM
Darrel you really want to get in a pissing match about attendence??

This isn't about UND...its about Lakes saying the dome will pack in 20,000+ on these big games and they fall short. How many came to see NDSU vs Robert Morris last year in the Fargodome's first ever playoff game? 12,202!!! And since at NDSU its buttfootball thats sad.

JMad03
November 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM
So JMU Dad, do you have any insights into the Duke's mindset? Is the team solidly behind Thorpe?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I do know the team is completely behind Thorpe, as well as the staff. The kid made a stupid mistake and owned up to it.
There are a lot of quotes from players about them being happy to have him back. Not to slight Edwards (who was hurt for a while with shoulder), but Thorpe is just a better athlete and he does seem to do a good job of not making the same "football" mistake twice.
The five weeks off has definitely kept him healthy, and that's a BIG plus. In addition, our remade offensive line is really starting to come together.
Playing their best football at the end of the season when it matters most.

semobison
November 21st, 2011, 04:37 PM
This isn't about UND...its about Lakes saying the dome will pack in 20,000+ on these big games and they fall short. How many came to see NDSU vs Robert Morris last year in the Fargodome's first ever playoff game? 12,202!!! And since at NDSU its buttfootball thats sad.

Why do you even respond to Lakes! Most FCS fans know he is mostly FOS! You respond to every post he makes! I dont get it! Nothing to talk about on the UND threads?

darell1976
November 21st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Why do you even respond to Lakes! Most FCS fans know he is mostly FOS! You respond to every post he makes! I dont get it! Nothing to talk about on the UND threads?

I know he is FOS, but other people do it to other people too. Like the pissing match with MPLS on his "Bison is the only MVFC Champion thread", TheFan on the whole NDSU-Lehigh thing, so if you don't like it...tough.

semobison
November 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
I know he is FOS, but other people do it to other people too. Like the pissing match with MPLS on his "Bison is the only MVFC Champion thread", TheFan on the whole NDSU-Lehigh thing, so if you don't like it...tough.

Guys like Mpls and TheFan, if you dont respond to them, they do go away! But its a message board, so whatever floats your boat!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 22nd, 2011, 02:59 AM
One thing to note for fans of other teams not familiar with the Dukes. You may have heard of or experienced playing a great team before and had the though, "Wow, those guys look BIG!" This is certainly NOT the case for us. I am not saying we're smaller than average teams, but this is a team, including the OL and DL, built for speed.

Historically, we have had some jacked up guys at LB position, but this year we are what I would say is solid across the board at LB. Our defense I believes has something like 9 of 11 players as returning starters from the past year, so the chemistry is there. We lost a key DT in the first quarter of the Maine gmae, and our pass rush too a major hit as he took up two OLs to blcok him. Over time, the DL has improved and using LBs on some blitzes helps, but we rarely call a CB or S blitz. Recently (last two games) we have started creating turnovers, which is something our fans have been waiting for a long time this year considering the talent on the defensive side of the ball. A traditional "bend but don't break" defense. Success is predicated on two things: stopping the run and pressuring the QB.

Offensively, we run the spread option. Not as many bubble screens as in recent years, but we have always called our WRs "wide blockers" for our RBs. We have three capable guys, all slightly different in style, giving us versatility in that part of our game. Having a QB that can run with it is the key that turns JMU's offensive engine. QB Thorpe started off AWFUL at JMU when he had to play as a freshman. He now makes much better reads, but he is no Rodney Landers. He does not possess the strength to tear through Olinemen, but he is sneaky quick and can make a cut and hurt you in a flash. Same is true for most of our RBs. The O-line is more athletic, designed to get off the ball and go make a block fast. 10-12 passes is about normal for this offense. If we are passing more than that, contrary to what most JMU fans might say, we are not doing our job on offense. We often seem to have long drives that stall but chew up the clock, and then our scoring drives will consist of 3 plays and 75 yards.

The best thing going for JMU right now - playing its best football of the year at the right time of the year. I am hoping it continues in Richmond, KY this week for all the country to see.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 22nd, 2011, 03:07 AM
Note: we are in the top 10 FCS in sacks - 35. I think this is a key statistic for the chances of JMU to win games. In our good years, we always create sacks. This year's version is a healthy combination of good coverage and spreading the wealth among DLs and LBs. No one hero to watch out for, although DJ Bryant is pretty nasty.

Gil Dobie
November 22nd, 2011, 05:55 AM
Either JMU or EKU will be a good game in the Fargodome.

TwoFeathers
November 22nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
JMU held W&M to just 37 yards rushing overall. And this is a team that has averaged 166 per game. And JMU racked up 271 of their own against a very good run defense.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 22nd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Thorpe is definitely the key to JMU success and I believe we can make some noise in the playoffs.

EKU is run oriented and that plays into JMU's favor since the Dukes usually shuts down the run. It is the playoffs so anything can happen.

Go Dukes