PDA

View Full Version : For any CAA ers out there-- WHat can you tell us about Old Dominion?

GSU Eagle
November 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I fully expect Old Dominion to be coming to Statesboro in a couple of weeks.

biggriz
November 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I can't tell you much about ODU, but I agree with you there, they have the easiest 1st round match up.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM
ODU will make short work of Norfolk State, but the MEAC rep going out in the first round is par for the course. I doubt GaSou will have a problem though, ODU is young, at from their performance vs. UD they are prone to making mistakes. Of course, things could have changed over the course of a season, but I predict Maine to be a much bigger challenge than ODU.

GannonFan
November 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM
ODU can play the run pretty decently - not sure if they can really handle an option offense but they did beat a run heavy JMU offense. They have zero secondary so they can be passed on at will - I doubt that will be tested in Statesboro. I would give GSU a healthy advantage in a game should it happen - ODU isn't what they can be yet.

Fear the Bird
November 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Yes they have some monsters on the D-line and are young but dangerous offensively...i look for them as well as towson to be that much better next year

ODUsmitty
November 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM
If we get past Norfolk State, the GSU/ODU game will be very interesting. ODU is pass-oriented and scores early and often. GSU with the damned triple option will try to pound us. We have had success against run-oriented teams (JMU and shut down Delaware's run game), but we were fortunate to beat William and Mary - Grimes ran through us all afternoon.

Would be terrific to see this matchup, but we have some work to do Saturday to get there.

82eagle
November 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM
ODU's freshman QB (Taylor Heineke) played at Collins Hill HS in Gwinnett County. My son goes to school there; we've seen him play many times. He's a quality passer and has had an impressive season for a freshman.

DJnva
November 20th, 2011, 08:14 PM
ODU has faced some option teams in the past...none this year though. Should be interesting if it happens.

UIWWildthing
November 20th, 2011, 08:14 PM
If you get a 4th and 29 you have a shot :)

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I can't tell you much about ODU, but I agree with you there, they have the easiest 1st round match up.

A lot of people are showing their ignorance about Norfolk State. This will be a lot closer game than most people think and don't even be surprised if NSU scores an upset. I think most people are judging the Spartans on one nationally-televised loss. There are some good playmakers on both sides of the ball for the Spartans. And the rivalry thing of the two schools will come into play as well. A lot of these kids have been competing against each other and playing with each other since grade school.

GaSouthern
November 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
ODU already played us earlier this year, they defended our pro set offense very well xlolx

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Old Dominion is indeed a tough team against the run on defense. The Monarchs remind me of the Maine teams from years past defensively. On offense, ODU was helped tremendously by the emergence of freshman quarterback Taylor Heineke. I wasn't impressed with DeMarco when I saw him at QB against Delaware, but Heineke made a major difference in the attack. He can run and throw. But this is a team that didn't play the toughest schedule, missing both Maine and New Hampshire in the CAA this year and looked to have some inexperience at times. The Monarchs also play much better at home than on the road. I think the committee put ODU in the perfect spot in the draw and I expect the game with Norfolk State to be a really good one.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM
A lot of people are showing their ignorance about Norfolk State. This will be a lot closer game than most people think and don't even be surprised if NSU scores an upset. I think most people are judging the Spartans on one nationally-televised loss. There are some good playmakers on both sides of the ball for the Spartans. And the rivalry thing of the two schools will come into play as well. A lot of these kids have been competing against each other and playing with each other since grade school.

It's not ignorance to note that the MEAC has not fielded a team that made it past the first round in the playoffs in over a decade. There has been plenty of hype about SC State and BC-U in the past as well.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 09:13 PM
ODU has faced some option teams in the past...none this year though. Should be interesting if it happens.

No one runs the triple option in FCS as well as Georgia Southern, though Wofford's variant, the wingbone, with its Wing-T components is also pretty good.

GaSouthern
November 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM
No one runs the triple option in FCS as well as Georgia Southern, though Wofford's variant, the wingbone, with its Wing-T components is also pretty good.

I'd say Wofford runs it better, but we have a better defense most of the time. Just my opinion.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 09:19 PM
It's not ignorance to note that the MEAC has not fielded a team that made it past the first round in the playoffs in over a decade. There has been plenty of hype about SC State and BC-U in the past as well.

You are making a blanket statement and not looking at the individual games. South Carolina State nearly upset Appalachian State twice in Boone in 2008-09. Ask ASU if the Mountaineers want to play SCSU again? If the Bulldogs had played someone else they likely would have won either year. I've seen NSU twice and ODU twice in person this season and I'm telling you that the Spartans can beat the Monarchs. There have been other close games, too, like Hampton nearly knocking off Payton Award winner Lang Campbell and William & Mary in 2004 and New Hampshire getting pushed to the limit by Hampton in another game. Everyone likes to remember a seeded Hampton team getting blown out at home by Richmond, but a lot of those games have been more competitive than people realize. People also don't understand that leagues like the OVC and MEAC are actually getting more competitive each season.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I'd say Wofford runs it better, but we have a better defense most of the time. Just my opinion.

we may get off topic here but I'd say that's correct, but GSU has a better perimeter game whereas Wofford has the better option QB (though not passing) and FB/B-Back

DaBigBlue
November 20th, 2011, 09:22 PM

Yea you're right MEAC teams are 0-13 in the playoffs since 2000. The MEAC's last playoff wins came in 1999, when Florida A&M reached the semifinals and North Carolina A&T won a first-round game.

straightshooter
November 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM
we may get off topic here but I'd say that's correct, but GSU has a better perimeter game whereas Wofford has the better option QB (though not passing) and FB/B-Back

Perhaps you should watch the GSU-Alabama replay on ESPN3 before making such a definitive statement so you can see what the Eagle offense did to the best college defense in America.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Perhaps you should watch the GSU-Alabama replay on ESPN3 before making such a definitive statement so you can see what the Eagle offense did to the best college defense in America.

irrelevant comment, I saw them play plenty of games

gsu6trophies
November 20th, 2011, 10:33 PM

Just his opinion dude. Relax. How long has Mitch Allen been around? I feel like he's been at woffie for a decade.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Just his opinion dude. Relax. How long has Mitch Allen been around? I feel like he's been at woffie for a decade.

He's been around for 3 years, the best of times and the worst of times. I'd say he's faster than Jaybo and they're about equal at making the reads and thus he's a better QB for the system. Jaybo's a better passer though

straightshooter
November 20th, 2011, 10:41 PM
irrelevant comment, I saw them play plenty of games

You've seen your guy play plenty of games.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM
You've seen your guy play plenty of games.

I've GSU play plenty of games too

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2011, 10:55 PM
About ODU - I think they have done what it takes to win. They are well-coached IMO and have nothing to lose. Playing with nothing to lose is always dangerous; they really did not expect to be here... yet. They will get consistently better but may face a tough year or two from attrition soon. Speaking of attrition, because it is a young team, it's actually a very experienced team. All these players have been playing together for 3 years now, which makes them formidable in terms of team chemistry.

I disagree about their defense. I think they are Swiss Cheese. I know that sounds harsh, but against JMU, the Dukes were able to light up the scoreboard in the first half. This was at their place and with backup rFr QB Jace Edwards at the helm. Once the injuries piled up, the ODU defense of course took advantage of our super green O-line and predictable play calling. JMU is tough to beat when you can't match their talent, but we are like an easy out when missing key players because our coaches really don't make many adjustments.

ODU has a great offense. They can score at will - just look at their scores this year. It will take a strong defensive effort to beat them, but in GSU's case, I think the triple option will be a nightmare for them to defense. They are fast and athletic like anyone from the 757 (think Mike Vick & co. - this is a breeding ground for athletes). However, GSU can take advantage of this by causing misdirection plays that will drive them crazy all day long.

I see ODU winning against Norfolk St., but not advancing after that. They did not play the best CAA teams and they were fortunate to catch JMU on the day they did. I am sure other CAA teams might see things a bit differently based on their game with ODU.

straightshooter
November 20th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I've GSU play plenty of games too

Season ticket holder?

molly
November 20th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I disagree about their defense. I think they are Swiss Cheese. I know that sounds harsh, but against JMU, the Dukes were able to light up the scoreboard in the first half. This was at their place and with backup rFr QB Jace Edwards at the helm. Once the injuries piled up, the ODU defense of course took advantage of our super green O-line and predictable play calling.

I agree. W&M's O-line was able to push them off the ball all game, and Grimes rushed for like 225 yards and 3 TDs. Towson also had little trouble running on them; West had a couple long TD runs. I don't think GSU would have any problems moving the ball or scoring against ODU.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 20th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Old Dominion is indeed a tough team against the run on defense. The Monarchs remind me of the Maine teams from years past defensively. On offense, ODU was helped tremendously by the emergence of freshman quarterback Taylor Heineke. I wasn't impressed with DeMarco when I saw him at QB against Delaware, but Heineke made a major difference in the attack. He can run and throw. But this is a team that didn't play the toughest schedule, missing both Maine and New Hampshire in the CAA this year and looked to have some inexperience at times. The Monarchs also play much better at home than on the road. I think the committee put ODU in the perfect spot in the draw and I expect the game with Norfolk State to be a really good one.

Good comparison made all the more logical & realistic given that ODU's coach is Bobby Wilder, a native of the state of Maine, a former early '80's QB at Maine, and a long-time assistant to Jack Cosgrove at UMaine before taking the ODU challenge to build a program from scratch. .... Sort of like all the UMaine influence on the Blue Hens way back when, ....

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2011, 12:37 AM
ODU's achilles heal is their defense. Their offense is very efficient, and will score points, but that will be true of Georgia Southern as well, and the Eagles have a defense that should be able to limit the Monarchs if they get past Norfolk State. I think the defenses would give Georgia Southern a two-TD edge. Norfolk State's defense is higly regarded, but the competition level in the MEAC leaves them a question mark. We'll see Saturday if they can hang with the Monarchs' O.

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2011, 12:42 AM
I see ODU winning against Norfolk St., but not advancing after that. They did not play the best CAA teams and they were fortunate to catch JMU on the day they did. I am sure other CAA teams might see things a bit differently based on their game with ODU.

They did play Towson, but missing Maine and UNH helped ODU's cause tremendously. I agree that they caught JMU at the right time. The Dukes did not resemble the team I saw in Williamsburg in September.

WileECoyote06
November 21st, 2011, 07:38 AM

And ODU and Norfolk have a common opponent. I'd call it a tossup with an edge to ODU since they are playing at home.

bluehenbillk
November 21st, 2011, 07:47 AM
ODU will beat Norfolk St by double digits.

GSU will beat ODU by double digits.

andy7171
November 21st, 2011, 08:19 AM
ODU is good, they just don't finish hard. :D

I don't see them losing to Norfolk State. They are young. It'll be interesting to see how they defend against the triple option. I don't think they have seen that offense, ever.

GannonFan
November 21st, 2011, 08:59 AM
ODU will beat Norfolk St by double digits.

GSU will beat ODU by double digits.

I agree with this. The MEAC is still the MEAC, and that means an early playoff exit. ODU isn't going to overlook them since they are right next door. And then GSU is going to blow their doors off in the next round. Delaware was a terrible matchup for GSU last year in that they had seen the triple option and played a team (Navy) that actually runs it better than GSU. But now this is a GSU team that's a year older and even better at running it and ODU hasn't seen anything like it this year. Playing at GSU ain't going to help either. I agree, double digits for GSU's victory margin.

DJnva
November 21st, 2011, 09:50 AM
The Monarchs also play much better at home than on the road.

Much better? They were 5-1 at home this year, 4-1 on the road. Last year they were only 4-3 at home, and 4-0 on the road.

It's not like we don't play well on the road.

ur2k
November 21st, 2011, 09:51 AM
Explosive offense - lots of speed. Suspect on defense. Very well coached for such a young program. If they get past NSU and play GSU, the option will pound them into submission but I would expect a lot of points to be scored.

GSU Eagle
November 21st, 2011, 12:37 PM
On offense is ODU's attack more of a standard drop back passing attack or is it centered around a good running quarterback who can also pass?

To other CAA teams who played ODU how is their kicking game?

DJnva
November 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM
Here's a link to the stats: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=hamptonroads&page=cfoot2/conf/independent/tmstat.aspx?id=YX1

You can find some game highlights here: http://www.odusports.com/allaccess/

ODU's offense is a spread offense, with 4 or 5 WRs on the field and no huddles--5 players have more than 3 TD catches and 8 players have rushed for TDs. The QB, Heinicke, is a true freshman, and has 15 TDs and 1 INT this year since taking over. The INT was on a desperation play to end the Towson nightmare. He's rushed for 263 yards in 5.5 games. He is pretty elusive in the pocket and will not hesitate to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack. He has a very high football IQ for a true freshman, with a completion rate of over 70%. His QB rating (in the NFL system) is 111.9. We have 2 main RBs, Angus Harper, a freshman (517 yards, 4.9, 8 TDs) and Colby Goodwyn, a sophomore (509 yards, 4.7, 3 TDs). Five WRs have more than 30 catches on the year, led by Nick Mayers with 51. Freshman Larry Pinkard leads with 7 TD receptions.

Our PK is 14 of 20, with 3 of the misses from more than 50 yards. He has hit a 51 yarder. He's perfect from less than 40 yards. Our punter was an All-American and has been top 2 or 3 in the nation all season, averaging more than 46 yards per punt. Our KO return team sometimes gives up chunks of yardage at the wrong time (Delaware game comes to mind). We have a pretty good punt block team, styled after Va Tech and have turned a few games this year with timely blocks.

andy7171
November 21st, 2011, 12:49 PM
On offense is ODU's attack more of a standard drop back passing attack or is it centered around a good running quarterback who can also pass?

To other CAA teams who played ODU how is their kicking game?

Their punter is phenominal. There is no other word to describe him. He is destined for the NFL.

DJnva
November 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
The punter (Plisco) is left-footed and that seems to cause some issues for guys unaccustomed to that.

GSU Eagle
November 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks. Everyone knows GSU's offense is the option. We are going to run the ball. If the opponent doesn't stop it GSU will be in a great position to win. Our QB, Jaybo Shaw is a better passer that many GSU has had in the pass although we rarely throw it more than 10-12 times a game.

Of defense we are based on speed. We have a very good D front led by B. Russell.

Our FG kicker is almost automatic inside of the 45 and we too have a very good punter.

Our problems usually come when we turn the ball over. Also we have had some problems this year at times defending the pass.

andy7171
November 21st, 2011, 12:59 PM
The punter (Plisco) is left-footed and that seems to cause some issues for guys unaccustomed to that.

Left footed, right footed. Doesn't change the fact he kicks it 45 yards in the air. Heaven forbid if the PR runs away from it and allows it to roll.

JMU_71
November 21st, 2011, 01:09 PM
First off, let me say they beat us and I recognize that. However, I do think they were fortunate to play us when they did. We racked up rushing yardage on them in the first half. then we lost both of our starting OTs and our starting TB. Our back-up Qb was apparently more banged up than we originally thought and we had to use him more as simply handing off and throwing (he's more of a running QB). Had Our starter, Thorpe, been available (he's back now and 5-0 v. FCS) and we had kept our starting O-line intact, there is no question in my mind that our run based offense would have won the game going away.

ODU's freshman QB is a playmaker, although JMU's defense held ODU out of the endzone in the second half. He gives them an ability to score points in bunches. I think ODU's problem will be on Defense if/when they face GSU.

Add that to the fact that I think GSU is better than JMU, ODU will travel to Statesboro and the difficulty of getting prepared for the triple option on only one week of preparation and i think GSU has little to be concerned about when it comes to ODU.

jmu_duke07
November 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM
Watch out for hail mary's.

JMU_71
November 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM
They do have a good play for 4th and 26...

Tribal
November 21st, 2011, 01:58 PM
It's crazy to look past Norfolk State. If you want to assume ODU will win that game--I'll put it like this:

GSU just ran for over 300 yards against the best run defense in the nation. Bama knew what GSU would do and GSU still had several runs of 20 yards or more. Grimes rushed well against ODU and the Monarchs expected it. ODU didn't perform well against Cal Poly's option but that was last year. Monarchs have had a great season but the last thing they wanted was to play GSU in Statesboro after GSU had a week to practice. About GSU's secondary and ability to defense the pass...GSU's #34 is one of the best in the FCS and their defense is fast. ODU's QB is special but he won't be able to scramble against GSU the way he has over the past weeks. I think ODU would beat half the teams in the bracket, just not GSU.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2011, 02:00 PM
Having watched Cal poly's offense and the likes of the socon triple options.....it looks nothing like it. too many passes

inpsite1919
November 21st, 2011, 03:14 PM
Funny thread

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2011, 03:41 PM
They can light it up on offense, but the defense seems to be porous. Outstanding record given they have only been playing football for 3 years (since the 70's I think), something like 27-6 over 3 years.

TwoFeathers
November 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM

You can't argue against Breitenstein... He's the best fullback in the FCS, and one of the best overall rushers.