PDA

View Full Version : Rate the bracket on "Got It Right-ness"

hebmskebm
November 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM
OK, this is completely subjective and just for kicks, but rate the bracket based on how "right" you think the committee got it. This includes the consideration of teams that made/didn't make the field, seedings, and bracketing. Scale of 1-10, one being a total abomination and ten being absolutely perfect.

GSU EAGLES
November 20th, 2011, 05:45 PM
OK, this is completely subjective and just for kicks, but rate the bracket based on how "right" you think the committee got it. This includes the consideration of teams that made/didn't make the field, seedings, and bracketing. Scale of 1-10, one being a total abomination and ten being absolutely perfect.

GSU loses to a top 10 team on the road at the toughest venue in FCS football. App State has lost 1 time in the last 45 games or more at home.

GSU loses to Alabama, #2 in the BCS and puts 302 rushing yards on a team that had give up 550 yards in their previous 9 games. Also scored 21 points when Arkansas was the previous high at 14. Some have argued this is the greatest college defense ever.

NDSU loses at home to an unranked YSU team that didn't even make the playoffs.

Essentially the committee said that losing to YSU at home was a better loss than than App State on the road at the toughest venue in FCS football. Makes a lot of sense.

NDB
November 20th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Essentially the committee said that losing to YSU at home was a better loss than than App State on the road at the toughest venue in FCS football. Makes a lot of sense.

I missed that memo.

I thought that NDSU and GSU both played 11 games. NDSU won 10. GSU won 9. NDSU played no sub-DI games. GSU played 1 (the day it should have been playing in Fargo). NDSU beat an FBS team. GSU lost to an FBS team.

I understand the frustration. I thought GSU was going to get the #1 seed. But trying to paint GSU as an obviously choice over NDSU is a joke.

FYI to GSU - don't schedule DII teams.

DJKyR0
November 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM

GSU loses to a top 10 team on the road at the toughest venue in FCS football. App State has lost 1 time in the last 45 games or more at home.

GSU loses to Alabama, #2 in the BCS and puts 302 rushing yards on a team that had give up 550 yards in their previous 9 games. Also scored 21 points when Arkansas was the previous high at 14. Some have argued this is the greatest college defense ever.

Rather than look at the losses, why not look at the quality wins each program had?

NDSU: Wins over #2, #16 (road), #17 (road) (ranks at time they played), double-digit win at Big Ten school. 10 D-I wins.
GSU: Wins over #9 (road), #23. 8 D-I wins.

It doesn't look all that ridiculous to me, though maybe my perception is somehow clouded by my status as a Bison fan. Someone help me out here, particularly if I missed anything.

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM

OK, by that logic, two teams were seeded incorrectly (GSU and whomever you're arguing). A three would indicate they got about six correct, out of twenty. What are the other twelve mistakes they made?

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2011, 06:23 PM

How about the part where NDSU has an FBS win?

bisonguy
November 20th, 2011, 06:26 PM
How about the part where NDSU has an FBS win?

Makes no difference. Same goes for GSU's DII game that goes against the Division I Philosophy.

8 DI wins are better than 10, and 2 losses are better than 1. Simple math.

Tatanka
November 20th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Makes no difference. Same goes for GSU's DII game that goes against the Division I Philosophy.

8 DI wins are better than 10, and 2 losses are better than 1. Simple math.

butbama?

344Johnson
November 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM

The comittee rewards teams for playing all DI games. It is great that you put up yards on Bama. I really was happy to see that. But running the veer certainly helps, and the fact that Alabama was probably not really overly excited for this game. And as much as this might hurt, losing a close game to App the past couple of years is not the same as losing a close game to App during the Edwards Administration. Look at wins vs. ranked teams....look at the not entirely DI schedule...look at wins...that is why Georgia Southern was given the #3 seed rather than the #2.

GSU Eagle
November 20th, 2011, 07:09 PM
O.K. here we go again. First I am GSU Eagle. GSU Eagles is someone else. We are #3 and the other Eagle fans need to let it go. Did I think we had an argument for #2-- yes but I knew it could go either way. Certainly a good argument could be made that NDSU deserved a #2 also.

ngineer
November 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I agree the EKU selection raises an eyebrow, but I see the various considerations. Otherwise than us not getting a home game, I don't see too much to carp about.

X-Factor
November 20th, 2011, 07:36 PM
The crying needs to stop. Some GSU fans, like the one above, seem to get it while others feel the Packers might be a more level matchup than this FCS business. Are we men/women or are there some children on this board? Stop and think for a minute, do you honestly believe bama put the same effort into stopping GSU as they did in say the LSU game? I am sure they played full-out, but it was their exhibition game and I bet they tried quite a few different sets on offense and defense. It is not like GSU has some all-world offense, a few much lesser FCS defenses has already proven this year that the triple O can be stopped. GSU may win the title, but I don't think anyone can say for sure at this point. Also, I think the committee got it right giving SHSU the #1. The Southland is not at the same level as some of the other conferences in recent history, but they still give the full allotment of 63 scholarships and SHSU got through with their worst game of the season still being better than any team they played, whichever game that happened to be. That is impressive. As for the other seeds, throw them in a bucket and stir the pot. However, I will enjoy the sweet karma with GSU potentially traveling to the Fargodome provided both teams even make it that far (lots of tough teams to go through first).

Oh, and for the record, I have GSU ranked #1 in my final AGS poll before I get some asshat rebuttal about how GSU is going to tear through the playoffs like a knife through butter.

hebmskebm
November 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM
So just over half of AGS rated this year's bracket an 8 or better. You wouldn't think it from the apoplectic reactions from some of the GASO and Lehigh people that have been dominating this board the last day and a half! :D

eaglewraith
November 21st, 2011, 05:26 PM
I missed that memo.

I thought that NDSU and GSU both played 11 games. NDSU won 10. GSU won 9. NDSU played no sub-DI games. GSU played 1 (the day it should have been playing in Fargo). NDSU beat an FBS team. GSU lost to an FBS team.

I understand the frustration. I thought GSU was going to get the #1 seed. But trying to paint GSU as an obviously choice over NDSU is a joke.

FYI to GSU - don't schedule DII teams.

Correction. We replaced you with Presbyterian, not Tusculum. Tusculum was a replacement for Coastal Carolina who backed out on us to play an FBS and sent us scrambling to find a replacement. Not too many of those to be found in February.

And yes, I don't want us to ever play D2 games. I want to follow the UNH school of scheduling....mediocre FBS team, 2 crap FCS teams, then do well in your conference.

Hopefully we'll see you in Fargo. No weather concerns + option plays faster on turf...I'll take it.

NDB
November 21st, 2011, 06:20 PM
GSU played a DII team the day it was scheduled to play NDSU less than a year previously - those are FACTS.

I'm less than sympathetic to GSU scrambling to having to find a replacement after putting NDSU in a similar position. AND THEN we have to hear crap from GSU fans about our OOC SOS.